• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern ๐šœ๐šž๐š›๐šŸ๐š’๐šŸ๐š’๐š—๐š ๐šŽ๐š•๐š๐š›๐š’๐š๐šŒ๐š‘ ๐Ÿท๐Ÿถ๐Ÿท ; a college horror comedy

miyabi

๐˜ช ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ, ๐˜ช ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ
Roleplay Type(s)

• H
    orror

directed by miyabi miyabi and .V1LLAINISM._ .V1LLAINISM._

eldritch, horror, dungeons and dragons, comedy, small town, mystery, monsters, university, 80s, dark, forests, cassettes, walkman, uncanny valley. inspo: stranger things, lovecraftian horror, scooby doo, and IT.

roles available: 7/10.

d&d for losers.

Surviving Eldritch 101.

home.
    plot. roles. rules.

coded by xayah.แƒฆ

UNCODED VERSION (still formatted):

THE STORY
Present day, the findings:

Footsteps โ€” perhaps two, three, pad softly against creaky floorboards, careful not to get caught. Scattered dust dancing mid-air, a dreamy waltz in the few spotlights that shone through thickly boarded windows. Apparent that, whoever it was, didn't want them to be here, had purposefully left the thing for dead. One of them gulped. This was an awful idea, a terribly awful idea and they shouldnโ€™t even be here! But they had nowhere else to go, no one to turn to. They needed answers.

โ€œUgh, it smells like straight dog ass up here,โ€ says a voice, young, perhaps too young in the wake of his half-scared quiet. His converse beat-up, hair disheveled (but in a totally cool and fashionable way) and met with the disapproving eyes of their peers, just like his predecessors.

โ€œJust keep looking, thereโ€™s gotta be something.โ€

A deafening silence- interrupted if only by the few pairs of sneakered thumps- draped itself over their search like a thick woolen blanket. Eyes curious, hands desperate, stomachs rumbling. Around them lay a picture of nostalgic abandonment, comic books old enough to be deemed โ€œvintage,โ€ dirty bean-bag chairs lined with cobwebs and shrouded in mothballs, dismembered action figures, and โ€” โ€œYou can tell they got no bitches.โ€ He added flatly, soon cut off by a sharp gasp. What? He didnโ€™t think it was that bad of an insult, more stating the obvious.

โ€œLook!โ€ she cried, fingers wrapped around a thin, crumpled sheet of paper.

โ€œGreat. A poster. Woopdi freakin-โ€œ

โ€œGive me thatโ€”โ€
A hand, faster than the speed of light shot between the two and in less than a moment, began to read under the shine of a metallic flashlight. Voice hoarse, tired, both telling characteristics of a true leader. They rolled their eyes. Why did their friends have to be such idiots?

โ€œโ€” Ahem, Welcome to the Catsborough Collegeโ€™s very own Dungeons and Dragons club! Feast your eyes on the wonders of the unknown, slay beasts during your journey and discover a community of like-minded individuals. Here, in the walls of this D&D club, adventure awaits (and possibly the extracurricular credits youโ€™re looking for).โ€

โ€œDungeons and Dragons? Of course they did. Iโ€™m telling you guys, absolutely no bitches. Zero. Nada.โ€

โ€œNo, look!โ€
Again, her voice, a short burst of energy thrust their attention toward the back of the faded print. And once they saw it, their lives would change forever. Stomachs dropped, hearts thrummed violently against tight rib cages, appetites gone. For there on the paper, in a reddish-brown colour dragged the words:

R U N B E F O R E T H E Y F I N D Y O U

Between them began a moment of pure terror. His blood ran cold, hairs rising at the back of his neck, her hands began to shake without control and they, well they were just about ready to jump out of this dust-ridden hell hole. After all, theyโ€™d gotten all the answers they were looking for. Something was out there. Something was out there and they werenโ€™t the only ones that knew about it. The paper slipped out from under their hands, suddenly whisked away by a breeze drifting through the room, a sound like old wind chimes floating, a haunted playground melody growing louder and louder. The colour drained from their faces. It was back.

โ€œ...Guys?โ€ Frantic eyes flickered between them.

โ€œAh shit.โ€

The story that still continues to unfold found its start in 1987.

1987, WHERE IT ALL STARTED.

In the sleepy town of Catsborough, Virginia falls the rift to the Nether, a concept that most would never think of as true; to its inhabitants, it is a home that remains less than extraordinary. But for the creatures of the Nether, it has only become the playground for the unknown; with the townโ€™s strange happenings, missing persons, and sudden deaths, it seems that Catsborough has been shaken from its slumber. There is something otherworldly beneath them, hungry.

Nestled deep within the town is Catsborough College, the home of the D&D club who has gotten the lesser enthusiasm from the public, often associated with relentless nerdhood, social rejects, and everything in between: to the people of Catsborough, the D&D club is a group that should never be touched. And while, yes, they are officially named a club, put on the list by the higher-ups, they are the under-recognized; the social nightmares, with barely enough people to establish their status as a club.

Unfortunately for them, it seems that their tabletop fantasy has become a reality. Their discovery seems like an infinite stretch, the unbelievable babble of a team whose delusions must have gotten worse over the course of the year. Despite the tremendous amount of material generated by their table-top journey, this unearthing is more than just their imaginations going awry. But with this comes the price of descending deeper into the title of Town Pariahs, falling victim to the horrors that have come with the opening of Netherโ€™s Gate. Itโ€™s only a matter of time until the destruction engulfs Catsborough in its flames.

Our intrepid club is more than just the face of social undesirables. Will they be up to the challenge and defeat the evil within?
The void awaits.

Hello and welcome to Surviving Eldritch 101, a Horror Comedy heavily inspired by Stranger Things and Scooby Doo. If you've made it this far, you will know that you will be writing in the footsteps of one of the local Catsborough College Students and fellow D&D Club members; unfortunately for them, this path isn't easy. While they come to understand themselves and their growth as young adults, this follows the possible destruction of Catsborough and, unfortunately, the tumultuous path they take to try and save the town. Catsborough is a town that has been there for decades, of course, living alongside the Nether without quite realizing it until now---once the gate has opened. The locals, however, don't seem to quite catch on; in fact, some are even lead to believe that the D&D Club has collectively lost their minds in pursuit of their tabletop journey. While we typically allow for players to have two characters, this roleplay will limit players to only one character; so, pick a role you'd really like!

Here are a few things to note: this roleplay will have plenty of death, mentions of death, angst, pain, comedic relief, coming of age, and much more. If you are under the age of 18, we are sorry, but you must turn back now. While this roleplay is inspired by Stranger Things, Scooby Doo, and IT, you do not have to have any knowledge of them! This will be in our own universe. This roleplay will not start in PRESENT DAY, instead in 1987 through the eyes of said DnD club.

tl;dr: D&D Club turned Town Pariah; what lies below the surface of Catsborough is nothing more than horror itself, an Eldritch being whose gate has come undone. Just a d&d group trying to survive.

THE RULES
RULE ONE.
First and foremost, drama (out of character), bullying, or bigotry of any kind will not be tolerated; we want to avoid making others uncomfortable and want to ensure that this is a safe zone for others. This roleplay will include serious themes. Trigger warnings will be enforced, please be mindful of others; if you're unsure, talk it out in the OOC. This will not be a first come first serve roleplay! Please have a discord, as this will be our primary use of communication. AND PLEASE ALWAYS FOLLOW RPN RULES AND GUIDELINES! Please know that this roleplay contains material not suitable for minors, thus players should be 18+. PLEASE use real life face claims for consistencyโ€™s sake! If you donโ€™t have a real life face claim, thatโ€™s fine! Just add a description of what they look like.

RULE TWO.

Please be able to write AT LEAST 2 paragraphs! It would be preferred to write more, but 2 paragraphs is the MINIMUM.
Requirement: 3rd person. Post frequency: 1x a week+ I won't be too strict on this as I know that people can be busy, but please do not take more than two weeks on one post.

RULE THREE.
This roleplay is NOT first come first served, there will be an application and decision making process!

RULE FOUR.
Note that this roleplay will in fact have depictions of violence, gore, and other such topics that, again, are not suitable for younger audiences and for those who cannot handle such topics.

THE FOUNDER.
OPEN / CLOSED
Unwilling leader of the group. Itโ€™s safe to say that the founder is far from suave; a nerd with far too much time on their hands and far too much enthusiasm towards their world building. Their reputation is exactly that: an individual who would rather spend their time playing games instead of doing anything else productive. While, yes, they are in some way intelligent, the energy is often proven to be redirected towards their strategizing on the next โ€œquest.โ€

THE SCAREDY-CAT.
OPEN / CLOSED
The name says it all, the type of person to jump at the slightest scare; weak-hearted and always questioning, unsure of what is to unfold in front of them and surely, fears the unpredictable. They are the voice of reason, the one that will pull back in hopes to avoid the doom that awaits them.

THE GENIUS.
OPEN / CLOSED
Analytical and reliant on facts, evidence, and the logical. Itโ€™s no surprise that theyโ€™ve become the more responsible one of the group, believing that perhaps they are the only sensible oneโ€”in a way, theyโ€™ve taken up the role of the nurturer, the one that has the good head on their shoulders and most likely to bring things of practical usage. Intelligent in their own right, the Genius is one often relied on for puzzles, technical equipment, and everything in between.

THE TROUBLEMAKER.
OPEN / CLOSED
There are many things to call this person: trouble, dastardly, downright heinous. They figured that taking on a role in the club would keep them from being kicked outโ€”which is wholeheartedly true, the club is the thread that keeps them tied to their academic status. In some capacity, theyโ€™ve earned the title of the one that easily breaks in and out of things, knows their way with crime, or anything remotely close to the idea.

THE EXCHANGE.
OPEN / CLOSED
Catsborough hasnโ€™t had many Exchange Students. In fact, they very well could be the first one theyโ€™ve had in years, which is both a blessing and a curse. In their excitement in a new country, theyโ€™ve haphazardly written their names onto multiple clubsโ€”without knowing the status of any of them. Fortunately and unfortunately, they have crossed paths with the Dungeons and Dragons club. The issue? Do they even know what DnD is? Theyโ€™ve taken on the role of a hopeless romantic, may it have been the fact that theyโ€™re so far away from home or the fact that theyโ€™re simply built like that is the question awaiting an answer.

THE DAMSEL.
OPEN / CLOSED
Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, the damsel is often questioned both for their logic (which honestly, they seem to lack) and the fact that they havenโ€™t died yet. An eager spirit, the damsel is not powered by brain but rather adventure, always ready to try something new even if it should kill them. And, in most cases it almost has. Several times. Cursed with a luck that has done them more harm than good, alongside their raging oblivion (theyโ€™re only trying their very best), the damsel makes for a fine distractionโ€ฆ Even though they still think D&D means Daisies and Donutsโ€ฆ Donโ€™t ask.

THE TRUSTFUND.

OPEN / CLOSED
With their family practically owning half of Catsborough, itโ€™s safe to say that the trust fund has always had it a bit ahem, comfortable. The worst kind of privileged โ€”- the kind that knows it, the trust fund has always gotten everything they've ever wanted, known to flaunt their power as they do their pretty smile. But even doves have their wings clipped and the trust fund cannot always be so lucky, so now theyโ€™re here. Forced to reckon with people well below their social status all because daddy had a fit over them crashing the new Mercedes. It happens one time and suddenly theyโ€™re the bad guy! Ugh!

THE JOCK.

OPEN / CLOSED
The Adonis of Catsborough, this member is as ambitious as they are beloved. Striking gold in nearly every sport, theyโ€™re hard to hate despite how easy they make it. Good-looking, fit and set to be valedictorian once again, the only thing the jock really lacks is extracurriculars, ones that stand out anyways. The arts would make them one of those Y/A stereotypes, debate already over and done with but a dying D&D club? Culminating creativity and self-expression? Surely no oneโ€™s done it before. This is about to look SO good on their portfolio.

THE JOURNALIST.

OPEN / CLOSED
Every school has its newspaper and every newspaper has its journalistโ€ฆ If you could even call them that, theyโ€™re almost 100% sure that real writers donโ€™t spend their time fussing over little D&D clubs but here they are, hoping to profile what is almost impossible to do without sounding mean. A Sharp-shooter when it comes to linguistics, the journalist is candid, professional and extremely pesky when they need a scoop- though even more so when the job of head editor is on the line. A job theyโ€™ve wanted to get to the job theyโ€™ve always wanted, the journalist simply cannot pass up any opportunities that may propel them through their extremely disconcertingly detailed life-plan. Even if it means spending a couple weeks boxed in with smelly losers. Oh well.

THE POTHEAD.

OPEN / CLOSED
In all honesty, they probably couldnโ€™t tell you just why they joined a D&D clubโ€ฆ And they probably canโ€™t remember either. A head full of clouds, the pothead is exactly this: nothing more and nothing less. Or so, people like to assume. You see theyโ€™ve never actually seen them sober enough to tell otherwise but hey, at least someone knows how to have fun right? Both a talented โ€œherbalistโ€ and carrier, when all else fails the pothead is always around to make some businessโ€” and even then, their tactics are slight and their atmosphere a complete and distant zen. Some would even call them wise beyond their years, if only there came the opportunity to prove it. But only time can tell.

excuse me why wasnt i alerted to the presence of this MASTERPIECE ๐Ÿ˜ค

i'm SCREAMING !!!!

AAA weโ€™re so excited w the interest; the character sheet page should be up soon! smthn about defeating (or not) eldritch evil

note** we may be open to seeing roles aside from the ones listed! just dm the both of us to pitch it!

staring respectfully BECAUSE IT LOOKS SO GOOD?? how tf do you always make my codes so yummy

these come out so fast and so good please my brain it's all i have left i will be tasting the stoner

Last edited:
what?? now this is what I needed to bring me back into writing! beautifully written and I canโ€™t say no to something stranger things inspired! got a few ideas for trustfund hehe!

Cautiously interested, have a weird character idea I'm willing to pitch but would be more than happy to take on any open role that happens to be available

Oooh... very nicely done! You had me hooked as soon as you mentioned Stranger Things. I love the inspiration!

5C817BEE-062A-4474-9A9E-303B96C3C12F.jpeg
all this inchrestโ€ฆmy heartโ€ฆcanโ€™t take it.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Definitely interested! I love both D&D and horror so this seems right up my alley, and those roles are catching my eye (especially the journalist and the jock)

Cautiously interested, have a weird character idea I'm willing to pitch but would be more than happy to take on any open role that happens to be available
feel free to DM it our way!

youre a real jerk for doing this to me you know that ๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค like I donโ€™t have enough crap to do how dare you pour your brilliant brain juices and flaunt your lovely ideas like this!!! Iโ€™m offended!!!

can u hurry up and post the cs thread. thanks to that juicy playlist u linked Iโ€™m full of creativity and ideas! ๐Ÿ˜ก

this is tastee, count me very curious (aka I'm drooling at ur creativity and beautiful ideas here an' i am a-hollerin')

oh you been watching stranger things fr! count me in. i really got to rp. eyeing the scaredy-cat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back