• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

awriternamedian

Not made of lies and deceit
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
You've heard the term crack fic. Now get ready for: crack rp. Here's the concept. Bring
your OC. Your fantasy OC, your modern OC, your fanfic OC, it doesn't matter, as long
as it's an original character and not a canon one. What are we going to do with them?
We're going to stick them in a room, with no windows and no doors. Random events
will happen, testing their ability to cope in a strange environment with strange people
from worlds totally unlike their own. That's it.

Last edited:
The surface she was sleeping on was hard and cold. That seemed... odd. Out of the ordinary. Normally she slept on a bed of sea grass, gently rocked by the warm currents around her. There were no currents though, no sea grass. Everything was still. For that matter, she didn't remember falling asleep in the first place. What had she been doing? She'd been... swimming. Through an obstacle course, she believed. The memories were a little hazy, though she wasn't sure if that was from her odd circumstances or the sleep that still clung to her. Deciding that now was a good a time as any to investigate her surroundings, her golden eyes blinked open.

She appeared to be in some sort of room, much like the human rooms she'd seen once or twice. The walls and floor and ceiling were stark white, well lit by a light source she couldn't quite pinpoint. One thing was certain. She was no longer in the ocean. She stifled a yawn as she sat up, looking down at her legs, clad in a pair of black sweat pants. At least she was in her human form. Being out of water in her mermaid form for too long could be disastrous to her health. She looked around, the room again, this time noticing the other forms sprawled across the floor. Human figures, she guessed, though she couldn't be sure. She'd once heard a quote from a human, there are more things in heaven and earth, and though she didn't quite understand it, she got the gist. Just because she'd never met anything other than humans and other merfolk, didn't mean there weren't any.

For now, they all appeared to be sleeping, so she turned her attention towards herself, rolling onto her bare feet and wobbling for a moment. She didn't appear to be injured, aside from her lack of memory as to how she'd appeared here, though there was a slight headache behind her glowing eyes. That tended to happen when a form shift was forced on her, as appeared to have happened this time. She ran a slim hand through her long hair, noting the odd texture it always had when it was dry. If it was dry, that meant she had to have been here for a little while. How odd. Nothing else in the room popped out to her, no human furniture, no windows or doors. Just four white walls and three other people strewn across the floor.

She sighed. As there was nothing else to do until one of them woke up, she leaned against a wall and slid down until she was sitting, knees drawn up to her chest. Now she'd wait. Her bare foot tapped impatiently on the cold floor. She was so bad at waiting.

Sabjorn grunted as he slowly woke up and pushed himself off the ground into a sitting position. What had happened? Did he pass out drunk somewhere? Last time he checked, he was having a drink in Davon's Watch then -- then nothing. He was here, wherever here was. It seemed like he had all his gear on him, too. Good. He shook his head to try and clear the fogginess, but found it just made him dizzy and he almost fell back on the floor. So, he was still drunk, just a little buzzed. An improvement from before he was here, but showed he must've been here for a while if he was sobering up.
Once his head stopped spinning, he look a look around. How in Oblivion did he get here? There were no doors, no windows, and the walls were smooth and white. How?! Then he noticed a girl sitting against the wall with dark hair, and some other unconscious people.
"Uh," Sabjorn began, "How in Oblivion did we end up here?"
This was stranger than waking up in Coldharbour, dead.

Harper had sequestered himself up in an overhang from a rocky outcropping in the desert. He'd set up his camp, getting a little fire going to boil his makeshift stew - a mix of water, jerky, and some herbs he'd picked up back in town. It wasn't much, but it staved off the desert's chill, and it filled his belly. He unfurled his sleeping bag, finding a reasonably flat spot to lay himself out, then shucked his coat and hat and crawled in. Tomorrow, he'd keep on the path to the next settlement.
When Harper wakes, he notices a few things - one, he's not in a sleeping bag on rough ground, but a something flat and smooth. Two, his gun belt and coat were back on his body, and his hat had miraculously leaped up to cover his face while he lay on his back.

Sitting up and sliding his hat back into the proper place, he works his tired eyes open and takes in the flat, white room. "What in the hell..." he mutters to himself. How'd he get from the Arizona desert to a place like this? He stands up, looking further at the other wakened people in the room - one a teenage girl in plain, if unconventional, attire; the other a well-built and tattooed man.

Warily, he calls out, "Hey there, strangers. You two look like you don't have too much of an idea where we are either, yeah?"

Vex was, well, vexed, to find himself awakening, particularly since he could't recall losing consciousness. In fact, he was sure he was in the middle of injecting a "specimen" with sectulam, a magic suppressant. Now, he would never know about it's effects on werewolves during the lunar cycle.
He looked at his hands, completely free of hypodermic syringes, then checked the floor. He'd never passed out giving an injection before! What caused it now?
"Where is it?" He muttered in his search, before realizing there was not a whining, lupine creature anywhere near, and neither was there a syringe full of sectulam. He was not in Dr. Von Brandt's Laboratory.
Looking up, he found that wherever he was, there were no obvious doors or windows in sight. A few people stood around, others lay on the floor.
When somebody spoke up, Vex answered.
"Yeah, I know I don't. Got any ideas?"

Ah, the human language. She believed this one was called English. She always forgot how clunky and inelegant it was, though she had certainly heard worse. It wasn't displeasing to the ear at least, and while it wasn't as succinct as her own language, it got the point across. Her eyes traced the first human to wake up. He was large, much larger than any of her race of merfolk, who were all slight in form like her. Before she could respond to ask what 'oblivion' meant, another was waking up. This one was mostly covered by a coat and a hat, giving little indication to his appearance, though she guessed he was male as well. A third voice drew her attention to a stranger being. This one had wings like the birds that sailed over the sea and nested along the shore, but his were as black as her tail.

"I do not recall going to sleep before becoming awake here," she said, her voice husky, with an exotic lilt to it. "One minute I was in the water, the next here. We have been asleep for a long while though. My hair does not dry quickly," she pointed out, running her fingers across the curls.

"Yeah, I know I don't. Got any ideas?"
Harper looks around again at the boy's remark, then shrugs lamely. "Well, we would appear to be in a, er, white room."

He taps his fingers idly on his belt, then glances at Vex again, fixing him with a scrutinizing squint. Did this kid really have wings? The gunslinger hadn't thought that there were any creatures creatures like the harpies outside of their European mountain enclaves. Though, he supposes they could be anywhere, now...

He speaks again to the room at large. "Where were you folks 'afore you came here, anyhow? I was out in the Arizona desert, catching some shut-eye."

"I do not recall going to sleep before becoming awake here," she said, her voice husky, with an exotic lilt to it. "One minute I was in the water, the next here. We have been asleep for a long while though. My hair does not dry quickly," she pointed out, running her fingers across the curls.
"You were out in the water?" Harper chuckles. "Definitely not from Arizona, then. There ain't enough water out there to splash a boot in. Would make sense to have been here a while, too. I felt pretty groggy when I woke."

Sabjorn fixed the Nerissa and Harper with strange looks. The girl seemed confused by his mention of Oblivion, and the covered man mentioned a place he wasn't familiar with, and he had been all around Tamriel.
"I was having a drink in Davon's Watch, to celebrate fending of the Daggerfall Covenant and, you know, not dying. Where is Arizona? Never heard of any desert except the ones in Elsweyr." Sabjorn responded, scratching the back of his head. He then moved to get on his feet, staggering from his lack in sobriety.
"Name's Sabjorn, by the way. Sabjorn Fenrarke."
Then he caught a glance at Vex, doing a double take. The guy had wings! He couldn't help but stare. Who in Oblivion had actual wings like a bird?!
OOC: Note that Elsweyr is pronounced the same as "elsewhere" figured that could make for some interesting confusion lol. And the J in sabjorn's name is a Y (yuh) sound, it's norse lol

Her head tilted to the side curiously. Arizona? Where in the world did he live that didn't have water to swim in? She couldn't fathom it. Then again, she'd never been able to travel far from the shore, nor had she any desire to be too far away from the sea. Still, a place without water, she couldn't even picture in her mind what that might look like. Her gold eyes flicked to the other man. He spoke of of many things she didn't recognize, but that didn't exactly surprise her. Though more knowledgeable about humans than most of her kind, she still wasn't an expert.

Sabjorn Fenrarke. At least he had a name, though it was an odd one. Even more odd that he seemed to have two. "I am called Nerissa," she said, before hesitating. "What is a 'desert?" she asked, brow furrowed slightly. The other odd words seemed to be names of places, but that one seemed different, more a location like the sea or the shore.

"I was having a drink in Davon's Watch, to celebrate fending of the Daggerfall Covenant and, you know, not dying. Where is Arizona? Never heard of any desert except the ones in Elsweyr." Sabjorn responded, scratching the back of his head. He then moved to get on his feet, staggering from his lack in sobriety.
Harper frowns behind his mask as he hears the unfamiliar names. He'd never heard of any place like those before. And 'Elsewhere'? What? Pushing his confusion to the side, he answers the Nordic man's question. "It's a territory in the United States - though I hear it's supposed to get incorporated soon. 'Course, 'soon' in politician-speak means we'll be lucky if it happens within the decade. As for deserts? Whole damn place is nothing but dust, rocks, and cacti as far as the eye can see. There's certainly other deserts out there, though, you're right."
"Name's Sabjorn, by the way. Sabjorn Fenrarke."
Then he caught a glance at Vex, doing a double take. The guy had wings! He couldn't help but stare. Who in Oblivion had actual wings like a bird?!
He tips his hat brim to the other man. "Harper Pickering. Strange name you got. That German or somethin'?"
He notes Sabjorn's glance to the winged boy. Looks like he wasn't the only one who thought that was unusual.
Sabjorn Fenrarke. At least he had a name, though it was an odd one. Even more odd that he seemed to have two. "I am called Nerissa," she said, before hesitating. "What is a 'desert?" she asked, brow furrowed slightly. The other odd words seemed to be names of places, but that one seemed different, more a location like the sea or the shore.
He cocks an eyebrow at her question, but indulges her. "I do believe the naturally philosophical definition is 'a place that doesn't get rain more than a couple weeks outta the year', miss."

Vex looked at Sabjorn as he stumbled, and when they were both looking at each other, Vex was nearly as puzzled by Sabjorn's armor as Sabjorn was by Vex's wings.
Then, when Harper mentioned that Arizona was going to be incorporated soon, he stifled nervous laughter.
"Don't tell me you're a time traveler," Vex said, a tad derisively. In Vex's home setting, time travel without magic was a long way off, if not impossible, and Vex was not fond of magic.

Last edited:
Sabjorn pulled his gaze away from Vex and gave Harper a confused look. "Haven't heard of any of those places. And no, my name is not... German, whatever that is. It's Nordic, I'm a Nord, from Skyrim. Well, I was originally from Skyrim, but I've been all over. Been in Morrowind the most lately, though."
His attention was snapped back to Vex as he spoke. "Time Travel? Hm, didn't think anyone mastered that kind of magic yet, no one living, anyways. I've been back in time before, though not for long. At least, I think I went back in time, I don't think that old ghost said it was a memory or nothin'. Say, how come you have wings? That ain't normal."

Vex had a smug expression when he answered, spreading his wings a little and looking around once more, even walking a little to see if a fresh angle would reveal anything new. Nothing, so far, stood out aside from the people he was among.
"I happen to have been born with them, thanks to the genius work of my father, Dr. Brent Von Brandt. No, it's not normal- It's better than that."

Both eyebrows shot up and her eyes widened. A place with so little water? How did they survive? She couldn't imagine living in such a place, not just because she needed water to survive, but because as far as she knew, all living things did to some degree. Maybe it rained so much during those few weeks that it made up for the rest of the year. Still, it was almost unfathomable to her. So much of what they were saying was lost to her, both the places, and because of their accents. She had never been very good at human accents. They were just so varied.

Talk of magic piqued her attention as she listened to them talk, trying to absorb what she could. Could they use magic as well? Her own magic was of little use here, as it relied on her being near water, and she couldn't sense any in the vicinity. She couldn't sense anything outside of these walls to be honest. Nothing living at least. "Who are you to say that he is normal or not?" Nerissa asked, arching an eyebrow as she pushed to her feet and smoothed down her sweater. "There are many humans who would consider me not normal, but I assure you my life under the waves is quite the norm." Not entirely true, she was unique for her kind, but close enough for this, what had he called himself, Nord?

Then, when Harper mentioned that Arizona was going to be incorporated soon, he stifled nervous laughter.
"Don't tell me you're a time traveler," Vex said, a tad derisively. In Vex's home setting, time travel without magic was a long way off, if not impossible, and Vex was not fond of magic.
"Time traveler?" The gunslinger gives a bitter laugh. "Hell no. I ain't one of them nut-jobs. I have had a few run-ins with some, though. Let me me tell ya, fightin' six different versions of the same gal, all of whom know exactly what I'm gonna do, ain't fun."

As the dialogue goes on, Harper grows more and more puzzled. Lots of unfamiliar names, and weird details. At the girl's ( awriternamedian awriternamedian ) mention of living underwater, he squints at her. "You're a Deep One? If you are, you don't much look like one."

He taps his gun-belt, mulling the details he's taking in over. The mention of time travel, especially as magic rather than the weird-tech it was, had him thinking... could it be?

Sabjorn just grew more and more confused by these three. Nothing was making sense.
"First off, living underwater ain't normal either. Second, you're all giving me a headache. None of you are making sense. Or maybe I'm just sobering up." He rubbed at his temples, trying to ease the tension building in his head.
Yeah, he was probably just moving into the hangover phase after drinking so much at Davon's Watch. Didn't explain where he ended up, though. Was he abducted by Sheogorath? Or is this some unknown part of Coldharbour, and Molag Bal got a hold of him again? He hoped not, the world was going to shit and he needed to stop it, he couldn't do that sitting here.

With the Nord's declaration of Nerissa's abnormalcy, Vex rolled his eyes.
"What's 'normal' matter, anyway? You say that as though such a word didn't get in the way of such great progresses as vaccines, cars, tractor beams, and genetic engineering. Just think how 'normal' could have stopped me from being born."
Vex could go on and on about how grateful he was to abnormal sciences, but figured he could emphasize that last sentence by leaving it the last.

Harper's thought train has, at this point, arrived at a destination. He brings his hands up from his belt and begins to speak to the room's other occupants. "Alright, this talk about time-travel has got me thinkin', and I think I may have discerned some answers.

I do believe that we have all been subjected to some kind of alternate-timeline shenaniganry. See, after the afore-mentioned encounter with a time traveler, I did some research of my own into the subject. Apparently, the philosophers in the field think that there's these different versions of reality all floatin' around, where some small changes in the real far-back past make everything in the present way different. What with the kid apparently being totally unworried by weird-tech, the girl bein' some kinda Deep One that looks human, and Sabjorn here bringing up these places I ain't never heard of up, that's probably not too bad of an explanation."

He lets his hands drop back down to his belt, then shrugs helplessly. "'Course, that doesn't exactly cover the why of us all bein' plucked outta our own timelines and dropped into this room, but I got nothin' for ya there."

Sabjorn's gaze fell on Vex again, completely lost.
"... I suppose I see your point, kind of. I'm not exactly normal, either. But I have no clue what any of those things you mentioned are."
He took a step back to lean against the wall, his headache wasn't going away any time soon, and he was getting a bit dizzy from it. It'd be embarrassing if he ended up stumbling again or falling over because of it.
Then Harper spoke up, and he tried to follow, he really did, but in combination with what Vex said his brain just broke.
"... What? Are you saying we're not even on Nirn anymore? Fuck, not again..."

Deep one? Was he talking about the merfolk who lived deep in the cold recesses of the ocean? Either way, of course she didn't look like that, she was in her human form. Not that she expected most humans to know about such things. Her attention was diverted from answering by the Nord, who asserted that she wasn't normal either. Her gold eyes flared and snapped as her temper rose, but before she could say something, the one who seemed fairly reasonable was talking again.

Different versions of reality. It sounded absurd to her, but she supposed it made the most sense. She nodded slowly, thinking about it. They all did seem very strange, though then again, all humans seemed strange to her. Her eyes landed briefly on the boy with wings. Well, maybe they weren't all humans. It was reassuring to have somebody more similar to her than to them.

"At least you are still on land," she sniped at the Nord, her eyes narrowed on him. "I cannot sense water anywhere near. I am only lucky that I woke up in my human form." For all that it had given her a slight headache. "Can you imagine what my terror may have been had I discovered myself in my true form, laying on dry land for possibly hours? I could be dead right now."

Vex cringed at the idea of having fell victim to the grasp of magical meddling again. As much hope as he had for idemscience overcoming magic in the future, the progress he was making with bringing that about was scant. In short, he may never get out of this mess with methods he could reconcile.
"So we're all from different realities? I guess that makes just as much sense as everyone being crazy."
He narrowed his eyes, but did not comment on the revelation that the girl was a mermaid, as in the merfolk he was more familiar with or something close to that. More magic, enough to worry him that he might end up with yet another curse put on him. Perhaps he already had one.

"Well, can you imagine waking up somewhere you don't know, trapped, and have your soul ripped out, only to escape with part of your soul intact? Yeah, I'm not havin' fun here, either, Sweetroll." Sabjorn snapped back.
"This reminds me all too much of what happened back in Coldharbour. Akatosh damn Molag Bal." He ended with a sigh, rubbing his face with his hands.
"Why can't something nice and normal happen to me for once? Like not being sacrificed to some Daedra or having my soul ripped out, or being sucked into some war. Do the Divines really hate me that much? What did I do to displease Akatosh? Kyne?"

The gunslinger chuckles sardonically at Sabjorn's existential questioning of deities he doesn't recognize. "Gods only know what the gods-damned gods are thinking, partner." ( DovahBeat DovahBeat )

As he speaks, he approaches the room's walls with an inquisitive eye. He doesn't know if he can actually learn anything from the action, but it's better than doing nothing at all. Perhaps he can perform some more invasive examination with his blade if a cursory examination bears no fruit. ( awriternamedian awriternamedian )

Nothing this Nord was saying made any sense to her. Was he even speaking English? Were all humans this confusing? The humans she'd met before hadn't seemed so, but maybe it was because as the other man had said, they were from an entirely different place. She made a displeased hum under her breath and turned towards the other human. Harper, she believed he'd said his name was. "Is it common to have rooms without an exit in the human world?" She asked, head cocked curiously to the side. "I can't imagine it's a particularly useful practice."

Vex interrupted. His world was populated by humans too, and he thought it within his right to answer.
"Well, there are some rooms without exits where I'm from, only really done with magic. As for it's use, it's generally either a method of imprisonment, or to store things out of reach of someone without magic. In my school, they have plenty, but it's not really common in other places, at least as far as I know."
Vex's tone now indicated his distaste for magic, though he had less distaste for his school. It was not ideal to him, but he could generally be himself there, even though those with magic were just as unchecked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back