• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Starpath: Burning Sails [IC] [CLOSED]

"Wait... THE Blackwell's Reavers?" Albert said with a stunned look on his face. I just hit a goldmine of material! Albert though to himself as he looked to Lauren. He quickly downed his drink for a bit of courage before walking over to Lauren with pen and notebook in hand.

"Excuse me, Miss Blackwell? Albert Kowalski, pleasure to meet you." he said with a hand extended for a shake. "I hear you're, er, lookin' for people?"

---
Vance looked over to where the bartender pointed at with great curiosity. This Blackwell woman may perhaps be his ticket to get back home... however unsavory they might be. He observed for the moment, to gauge her character as Albert approached to talk to her.

One of the patrons, who had been sitting at a secluded table, looked around as he heard Slades name mentioned. The man was adorned in a black armor with red decals and skull tattoo covering his whole face. After looking around for a brief moment, he returned his focus to a small holotab and begun typing out a message.

Kalashi let a soild chuckle, quickly acting to keep down her laughter. Making a short, muffled shriek after hearing the strange human's response. Waving him off as she turn to take bartender tox and plug it to her respirator port. Taking a shorter hit of it than the vtial as before.

Kalashi quickly picking up the word of a recruitment drive from the bartender.

"Ahh, thanks for the reminder." kalashi said as she place a good sum of credits onto the counter. Spinning her stool towards the group of Reavers and began walking over to them.

----

Pearl quietly made way over to Lauren and the rest of the gang at the table. Trying thier hardest to avoid eye contact with the others.

However, as Pearl got close to the crew, they noticed the figures gathering around the rest of the gang at the table.

Pearl slowly approach them and made a simple greeting gesture to them.

"Greetings." Pearl said to Lauren in a soft and feminine voice with a sight hint of artificialness. "Apologies for delay, loudmouth is being more... Louder than usual."

Last edited:
With helmet firmly locked under her arm, she shuffled over to interact with who's likely gonna be the hopefuls for joining whatever ragtag outfit they were getting themselves into.

"...Depends. Thought those Ayr got up to her pretty easy. And I hardly think it'd be a fair fight if she put you against that weedy girl down there. Then again, maybe they're just... I dunno. Grease monkeys or something." Kovak replied from the side, polishing off her bottle of beer and setting it down onto the bar. [Blackwell Reavers... Haven't I heard of them before? Could've sworn that they scared the absolute piss outta command in the Militia... shit, even the Navy wanted to keep a wide berth from'em. But now they're here in some backend, backwater bar in the back ass of nowhere looking for recruits. Hey, maybe the name'll at least net me a little bit of distance from anyone who's on my ass.]

Shun takes note of her moving to put her hand on the dagger she carried, yet does not react any further beyond that. The extent of his augmentation is clear due to just how still he is able to stand, perfectly motionless in his spot and not requiring to perform simple labors such as breathing.

"[I face whatever judgement awaits when my task has been completed. My ancestors faded and died ages before now, their achievements meek as simple navigators sat on the shoulders of amazing tacticians. I do not seek their approval, rather their strength to ascend myself and our people into a new age. Someday, you shall bear witness to my words' merit.]"

Shelby maintained her composure at Yolandi's question. It was one she had figured people would eventually ask, and some had. Despite her efforts, most people seemed to assume that she was a runaway... which was fairly obvious, but she had tried to avoid that. She certainly didn't come across as a loner or refugee. Especially not an independent.

"No, I lost my family to a passenger ship accident on Hydraxis... the ship malfunctioned and crashed when reentering the atmosphere," she explained solemnly, having told this story many times. She actually looked legitimately upset. It was well rehearsed and far more important to get correct. "I was finished with school so I decided to leave the planet. Not much use in sticking around. After a little traveling... well, here I am."

A simple backstory was the best. She had spent the first days of her escape crafting these intricate web-like stories to account for everything, until she realized she had trouble memorizing all the details. So, simple it was. And it worked far better. Most people offered their condolences and dropped the subject. No one liked talking about these kind of tragedies. It was only a shame it wasn't the truth. Her father, even mother, deserved it at this point. Even most of the family.

When the news got around from the bartender that there was a recruitment drive, she perked up a little. This was rather fortunate. She had no idea who these Blackwell's Reavers were, though the name sounded vaguely familiar. If they were pirates, they were probably in the news at some point Hopefully they weren't the very murdery and mean kind, but maybe the sort of polite kind.

All the others also seemed interested, but she knew from business lessons it was important to get your foot into the door as soon as possible. The nice aliens who offered her the water had beat her to the point, but she pardoned herself from the bar, scooped up her suitcase, and hurried over to where the bartender was pointing. There were some rather intimidating looking aliens there... and the crowd was filling up fast.

Huffing, she hurried to try and get upfront to the table amid the growing crowd. "I want to join up!" She announced loudly, hoping one of the people at the table would notice. The blue haired woman looked very noble and rather pretty, but she had that fierce sort of heroic look to her. Was she the captain?

"Alright. They are going to talk to her." Vulkov took a swig of his own "Let's see how they go and then decide." This was starting to get interesting. The Blackwell name meant something back in the day. But he couldn't place his finger on what. It was really familiar to him. The other name too. There was something about both of those names. Blackwell. Slade. He just couldn't remember.
---
Vincent got the drinks and went back to Vance in a quick as a pace that allowed him not to spill the drinks.
"Looks like things are starting to liven up around here."

Vance picked up his glass of water and downed is quickly before gently setting the glass down. "So I see. Something with recruitment or somethin'..." Vance said a bit absentmindedly. "If it means a way to get back home, I might as well sign up... but I'm not sure yet."

Yuurei eyed Shun even more intensely. His statue like stance made him look very formidable, but his words we're utter delusions to her senses. "[One does not gain the ancestors strength before earning their blessings]" she retorted in a defensive manner.

"Tell you the truth, I might sing up myself. I'm in desperate need of work. And prayer alone doesn't put food on the table." Vincent answered calmly "I'm not sure how it will help you with getting back home, but the lord works in his own way. I'm sure you could use the company at least."

Yolandi listens to Shelby's sobstory then shrugs as the girl goes off to join the gaggle of people near Lauren, going back to drinking her bottle of whiskey alone next to Vulkov, "Honestly, I'd say no on principle of this being sort of an ambush tactic of recruitment, but given the sort of recognition people are showing to these 'Reavers' they might have more money than I initially judged."

Jackson walked down the walkway towards the seedier part of Shadespear Terminal. Having just smuggled himself a resupply ship and being caught on his less than stellar exit, was looking for a place to quickly dive into away from the chasing police. He could take them on with a couple frags, but then it'll cause a scene and then more people to take out...never ending loop and he had a headache from being awake for so long, he just needed a break. He finally found it, coming up to the Morgan's Chalice. One of the many bars that littered the area, it was full inside as he could hear plenty of noise and glasses clinking, just what he needed.

He strolled inside, to be surprise that he wasn't among the most eccentric there. People in military gear, heavy armor, alien types and even some schoolgirl looking child completely out of place. Everyone was drinking their hearts out, or having tense standoffs. He strolled up to the bar asking for a shot of whiskey and coffee on the side and enjoyed the scenes around him. Maybe this was a crew he could be a part of, he wouldn't mind it.

"[And how many move through you? You cling to the old ways yet you rather assist outsiders to the Empire instead of prepare for encroaching threats. I do so out of necessity, you seem to do so out of wanderlust or inane purpose. Are your ancestors proud of that, priestess?"] he retorts back just as sharply, quick to assume yet somehow not taking away from the weight his words held. After that comment he began to turn his back, looking toward those that approached the booths with their inquiries. "[We will advance ever higher if we can recognize the mistakes or naivete of those that came before us, not through idolizing them. Sacrifice and drastic measures will lead to victory, as much as you and our kin shudder to comprehend the forms it may take."] Shun continues their private telepathic conversation while he tilts his head down to see just who they might be working with. Though that term may end up being used lightly if they were all as simple-minded as Yuurei.

Last edited:
"...it has been lonely for the past few months. I don't know anything about this strange area of space, let alone know anyone here. I guess the Lord willed it that we meet today." Vance said with a smile. "Well, if you're gonna sign up, I suppose I'll sign up as well."

Nara was being nosy and peeped in people's conversations while Grommy went up to the heavy metal band. She almost heard somebody say the Lord or even God. Could it be, Nara thought. She wondered if it was the same religion.

Last edited:
"[I am all I can be.]" Yuurei replied, "[And even when our house has been shunned by the empire, my dedication brings pride to my ancestors. Thus far have I come without defiling my body and soul with machinations. And the honor is mine eternal.]"

No better than the transentience fanatics, the scourge upon the galaxy. A crusader for a heretical cause, cast by the wayside.

But as Shun turned away, Yuurei turned her focus to the people who came approach Lauren. As she scanned the individuals, a young woman caught her attention.

"Barer of false witness. Do you harbor ill will?" Shelby would hear a cold womenly voice whisper in her head as Yuurei stared her down.

"Then I guess it's settled." Vincent shrugged and put out the cigarette that was still burning in the ashtray . "Let's not waste anymore time then." He stood up from his chair and waited for Vance to get up so they could go to this Lauren woman and see about signing up.

Last edited:
Shelby twitched slightly as the voice appeared in her head. Her eyes were drawn to Yuurei, the Ayr that was staring intently at her. She knew of these aliens, and had seen a few of them on Castilia - it was a major commercial and vacation spot after all - but she had never personally dealt with any.

W-what? No... um... ma'am? She thought, a little nervous but instantly worrying that if the Ayr could communicate like this then the alien would realize her secret. She tried not to think about it and was more concerned with wondering if she was even communicating correctly with the telepathic alien.

Vance got up and followed Vincent's lead, grabbing his helmet and putting it under his arm to carry it with him as they walked to Lauren.

Shelby seemed genuinely scared. A boy disguised as a girl, on the run. From some mighty forces it seemed. It could all be some ruse of course, so she would have to keep an eye on her. But for now, she would leave it be.

She simply nodded to Shelby and began looking over the rest of the recruits.

Shelby grasped at the front of her dress nervously as the Ayr just nodded and looked away. How strange... she thought, and then added, not that you are if you are listening, I mean!

Roku quickly moved out of the way of the influx of people, letting out a "Woah, shit, wait a fucking minute!" as he moved. Lauren felt the need to do something quite similar, but remained where she was. As did Zadra and Drav. "Two lines, please. It'll make this much easier to deal with." said Zadra, while Lauren turned a bit in her booth to look over those that had approached. First up was Shelby, as she had forced her way to the front of the pack. Lauren looked her over, raising an eyebrow. The green one she had been talking about earlier. Now that she could get a closer look, there was far more to this girl than she realized. "...So what can you do?" she asked, a bit frankly. "You look green as all hell, so I guess we could train you to do something. That is, if you don't know anything." While waiting for her to answer, Lauren glanced up to see Pearl had arrived. "It's fine, sis. Loudmouth's a handful sometimes."

Meanwhile, Zadra handled Grommy. "Big strong guy...could use you, really. I take it you two are a package deal?" she said, motioning to Nara at the bar. She eyed Grommy, mainly due to him being some sort of big rock man, before glancing between the two and nodding. "...Alright, you're both in. We'll see what you can do later." she said, motioning them over next to Drav before waving the next one over. Which was a priest...and someone wearing a rather odd space suit. Vintage, it seemed. "Kinda odd for a priest to be joinin' up with some pirates. Who's the guy in the suit?" she asked, motioning to Vance.

------

The bartender glanced back over towards the doctor whom had paused on his way out the door. "Yeah. The leader of the Red Phantoms. Wears the red helmet that looks like a skull. Think he used to be Death Vigil." he responded, eventually setting the glass he was cleaning down.

"We're in?" Grommy and Nara looked at each other, smiling.

"Excellent!" They gestured their hands, air guitaring as they left the line. Little did they know they had no idea what journey they were in for.

Doctor looked at his wristwatch. He had half an hour left before he needed to return with the alcohol. Hopefully enough time for the bartender to tell him just a bit more about Slade’s relations with the Reavers.

“You’ve got me quite intrigued, I must say. Do tell me more about Slade and whatever he has to do with the Reavers.“

Vance straightened himself as Zadra motioned to him and introduced himself to her with a salute: "Captain Vance Astro, U.S. Armed Forces. I take it you're one of the people recruiting around here?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back