• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Rising Tide [closed]

Kylo sent Myka a look, wanting to call her crazy for thinking the Stormtrooper was Force sensitive. But...he paused. Now that he concentrated, he could feel it. The Force was dim, still waking up, but it was present in the man before them.

Phasma turned her head to FN-2187. “Go ahead, tell them what you attempted to do.”

Eight seven’s head turned to the floor for a second before lifting back up and facing the two Force users. “I attempted to use the mind trick to shorten the training session,” he mumbled, feeling heat spread across his face. For once he was so happy no one could see his face.

“He attempted to use the mind trick to shorten our training session,” Phasma repeated, her voice sharp, as she turned to the woman. “And you think he has this Force?”

Kylo, meanwhile, didn’t know if he was amused or nonplussed by the entire situation.

~~~

Azra shot Poe a glance when he mentioned that he told Leia who she truly was. It didn’t surprise her, and while she wasn’t thrilled he had done so, she was glad he at least told her. Somehow, she expected Leia to know at the end of the day anyways, with the flash drive and what their conversation may hold.

And she didn’t think lying would be an issue. Somehow, with her preconceived thoughts of Leia, and with Poe right there, she didn’t know if she could lie, if she wanted to. Which she didn’t.

Azra wanted to make up for her past, and telling the full truth would be that start.

When they reached the command center, an older woman called out for Poe, who immediately followed her. “That’s Leia Organa?” she whispered. “To be honest, I imagined someone...taller.” In the stories of her father and his friends, Azra always pictured a very prominent and commanding woman.

But, then again, this shorter woman did exactly that.

Azra followed Poe into Leia’s office, where she didn’t immediately search for a chair to sit in, but preferred to stand in the moment. At least, until she was able to relax some. If at all.

Myka couldn’t help but start giggling at FN-2187’s confession of what he attempted to do. That was so precious, trying to use the Force to end a training session early. That meant he probably tried it on Phasma, based on her tone, which only made Myka’s giggling all the more prominent. She couldn’t help it. It was just adorable.

As she pulled herself together with Phasma’s question, she gave a nod, still smiling, still trying to refrain from further giggling. It didn’t quite work, as another bubble of laughter came spilling forth and she covered her lips. “It’s just too precious,” she said, “but he really, really has the Force, I promise, I wouldn’t go around telling random people they had the Force, but that was very foolish.”

She said that to FN-2187.

“Mind tricks really only work on the weak-minded, and I’m guessing you tried it on Phasma, who is not weak minded. First tries should have been on someone else, like one of the fat officers who technically outranks Phasma.”

That would have been a far more amusing scene, too. Maybe not for Phasma.

“Here, let me show you how it feels,” she lifted her hand, though it wasn’t necessary, to direct FN-2187’s attention, “You are going to hop on your left foot, seven times.” That was a direction only to FN-2187, with the Force behind it. He might resist it – but in either case, he’d feel it.

~***~

Poe managed to stifle a laugh at Azra’s comment about Leia. It wasn’t that hard. All he had to do was think of all the times Leia had made him feel small. Which was…often enough. Azra would hopefully not see that anytime soon, but it was possible. She was joining them from the First Order, after all.

As they entered the office, Leia remained standing off to the side of her desk. “Poe, the door.”

“Right,” Poe quickly shut it behind the trio, “Leia, this is Azra, Azra, this is General Organa.”

Leia almost rolled her eyes at the difference in the way that she was introduced to Azra, compared to his easy informality with her. “I understand you were hurt before you got here. Are you feeling any better now?” Leia asked, mostly sincere concern, but also a bit of polite duty to make sure the woman could even handle being with her right then.

Leia hadn’t expected her day to involve a debriefing of a former member of the Order – even if Azra wasn’t quite with them yet, before she proceeded any further, a debriefing was certainly in order.

Phasma wasn’t amused by the woman’s giggling at all. To her, this situation wasn’t hilarious in the least. The heat in Eight seven’s face only deepened, and he felt like such a fool. As Myka explained where he went wrong, he felt like such a fool for trying it on Phasma, and for allowing his friends to convince him into doing it.

Maybe they should be the ones he tried it on.

Kylo stood by, silently watching the situation before him. He didn’t confirm anything Myka said, but he didn’t deny it either, which had been enough for Phasma to believe that somehow, her Stormtrooper possessed some iota of this Force ability.

If that was true...she wasn’t sure what ramifications that meant for her battalion.

Eight seven instinctively backed up when Myka lifted her hand, but a firm hand on his back stopped him. He could feel the pinpricks of something trying to enter his mind, but he pushed it out, just barely, as his body wanted to give in to the ludicrous direction.

“That...didn’t feel pleasant,” he said with a gasp.

~~~

Azra did not want to admit her nerves were already getting to her just by the mere presence of Leia Organa. The woman had quite the reputation before her, and Azra just wanted to know what was fact or fiction.

But already, she could tell how the woman commanded attention, even if the only thing she had said to Azra was concern over her injury.

“Oh, yes ma’am,” she said with a nod. “Temmin Wexley,” should she call him Snap in front of Leia? “Patched me up right after I was shot, but it wasn’t that bad of a wound to begin with.” Just really sore.

And she was still of the thought that medbay wasn’t necessary, but she wouldn’t say that right there.

Myka clapped her hands together joyfully as FN-2187 resisted, and noted that he had, in fact, felt it. It wasn’t just a mere resistance, “See! See! He has the Force! I bet Phasma didn’t feel anything, just knew it was an order she wasn’t going to take!” Myka wouldn’t even ask, she was so certain of it.

Most didn’t feel it.

That was how it worked, after all. That’s how people like her got away with things like that. “It’s more than just saying a phrase at someone, it takes some focus but—well, you didn’t want to learn.” Myka folded her arms over her chest, demeanor shifting just a bit. Of course, she absolutely still wanted to teach FN-2187.

Now the situation was rather public, though, and she didn’t know quite how it would unfold. He was under Phasma’s command, and had revealed what he was prior to getting any training. Kylo also knew – Myka hadn’t wanted that, certainly not before she began training him, but this was what she was dealing with now.

So now she had to see how this played out with these forces in play, and see if she could still find a way to get FN-2187 under her wing, so to speak.

~***~

‘Temmin Wexley?’ Leia did arch a brow at that, finding it peculiar that anyone would call him Temmin. It wasn’t how he introduced himself, after all. Leia wouldn’t ask questions about that, just nod as she accepted the information that was given to her. It wasn’t immediately important how Azra knew Snap.

“That’s good news,” Leia said, “The rest of this won’t be so easy,” she said, “you may want to take a seat,” Leia at least moved the rest of the way around the desk to her side, although still didn’t find herself taking that seat immediately.

Poe moved forward, though, and he did take a seat.

“We aren’t turning you away,” Leia said, first and foremost, “we’re currently having our team go through the files you’ve provided us on the First Order,” Leia said, “and we appreciate it, however this turns out,” she allowed, “but I need to know more about what got you shot, and what turned you from the Order to begin with, even if it is to a more neutral stance right now.”

Leia didn’t think that would last, based on what Poe told her.

No, Phasma didn’t feel anything, while FN-2187 apparently did. If Myka hadn’t said anything more, and Kylo’s continued observation in silence, only confirmed for Phasma that the Stormtrooper really did have the Force.

Well, she admittedly didn’t know what to do about that.

“This is...interesting,” Kylo noted rather plainly, to which Phasma had to agree. They hadn’t had an issue like this before, with a Stormtrooper showing abilities with the Force. How were they to continue with him?

FN-2187 just...didn’t know what to say. But he did want to learn. What could he say though, except to ignore the embarrassment that continued to flood him? Maybe if he could focus hard enough, he could try and convey his curiosity to Myka. Or not. He really didn’t know this Force stuff.

“Commander Ren, we will need to talk later,” Phasma ultimately said.

“I agree, we will,” he said. Maybe...maybe it would be beneficial to have someone trained in the Force at a Stormtrooper. Maybe as a leader. Kylo admittedly didn’t know much of FN-2187’s track record, but there was potential.

~~~

Azra bit her lip, and she wanted to say she was fine with standing, but as Poe took his seat, she decided to follow suit and do the same. And she decided she was glad she did, because the next questions were definitely not as easy.

“I guess first I should start with what turned me away initially,” she said with a sigh. That would better lead her into what got her shot on Takadona. “Well, I first didn’t join the Order out of some inherent sense of duty to help the galaxy. My father was an officer during the Empire, and thus became involved with the Order, and after the death of my mother and sister, I would’ve done anything I could to remain close to him,” she said with a shrug.

“And for many years, I blindly accepted what I was told, thinking my own father wouldn’t lead me astray, but I don’t know if Poe told you this, but I worked as a propagandist, which by the very nature of my job was to lie. Or to stretch the truth some. And over time, little things kept popping up that made me pause and think about what I was doing, and made me wonder, what was the absolute truth?”

And she knew she just couldn’t ask. There was no questioning superiors, only trusting that they knew what they were doing. “And one day I decided I had to find out the truth for myself, and I left the Order to find out that truth as a journalist.” Though it wasn’t as simple as waking up one day and packing her bags. It took months to plan and finally muster the courage to leave.

“As for what got me shot, Poe, Snap, and I were discussing the Order, and I mentioned that I think they’re planning a large-scale attack on the New Republic, sometime in the near future, and after one of the planets Poe showed me, I had guessed they were working on some weapon, and soon after that we were shot at.” Then Azra would pause, to allow Leia to soak in her story and ask any further questions regarding it.

The situation was apparently quite new to both Phasma and Kylo, which was indeed interesting to Myka, though she didn’t speak to that. She felt what FN-2187 was trying to push out, that curiosity, that yearning, along with his own discomfort, his fears, about the unknown future that was now ahead of him.

He’d had a chance to keep this private, and now it wasn’t.

He may still have a chance to keep Kylo Ren out of it, at least a bit. Depending on Myka.

Myka wouldn’t address FN-2187 directly, of course, though she did chuckle again at the confusion of both Kylo and Phasma. “I’m surprised this is new,” she did say that much, “or that no contingency plan was in place for Force sensitives. I would think others would have shown up by now.”

She did look up at Kylo, “I do have plenty of experience training novices in the arts, adults, and children. I know I am not quite…official here, but this would be a way to see what I have to offer. Let me train him. Let it be my place here, my anchor of sorts, for when there are not other things to attend to.”

A light touch of his arm, and she leaned into him, against him, while still looking up, “Or at least, consider it.”

~***~

Leia didn’t interrupt Azra as she began, explaining that she grew up in the Order. That wasn’t an unusual tale; really, from what Leia understood, it might even be normal. She didn’t know of the First Order doing too much recruitment outside. They forced some into labor, of course, and did find others to bring into their ranks, but it wasn’t common at that point.

At least, not that she was aware of. A propagandist at least implied more than she was familiar with, so far as recruitment went.

It also gave Azra insight into how things could be manipulated, which set her on this path to find the truth – which, it seemed, she had now started to find. “Well, that certainly confirms there is a weapon that the First Order has managed to hide from us.” And through Azra’s files, they might be able to narrow down some potential locations.

They would, at any rate, begin looking harder for it, given the nature of the conversation around it and ‘Death Star’ that Poe had already mentioned. Another planet destroyer wasn’t something Leia wanted to deal with. She wanted it found before that could ever happen.

“I’m guessing you don’t know much more about that kind of thing, or you would have left quicker than this,” Leia noted, assuming Azra wasn’t a senseless murderer. “I have to ask one thing: why are you hesitating to fully turn on the Order? Poe told me a bit about what you two got up to.”

No, they didn’t quite have anything planned. Nothing of a Stormtrooper showing the Force, or at least risking it in front of a superior, had happened before, and therefore, there was no exact plan as to what to do.

Though, with Myka’s curious need to bother everyone on the ship, maybe she could hunt down more Troopers that show promise with the Force, and a plan could be enacted with what to do with these Stormtroopers.

And, Kylo supposed, Hux would need to be alerted of this new occurrence sometime soon.

FN-2187 awkwardly looked away as Myka leaned into Kylo, persuading him through obvious means. Phasma shifted, but she didn’t turn her head away from the sight. Neither were terribly comfortable though.

Kylo, not oblivious to Myka’s persuasion tactics, considered her words. She did need something to do on this ship...and Kylo would still be able to keep an eye on her. And on FN-2187. And he felt no need to tell Supreme Leader Snoke about this just yet.

“FN-2187, you are to continue your training with Captain Phasma. When you are not in training, you are to report to Darth Vesta.” A fair deal, he thought, as the Order still needed him, but he needed to see what would come from this. And not just because of the way Myka looked at him.

~~~

“I would have,” Azra confirmed. Or, at least, she would’ve stayed a bit long to see if she could find out more information over this supposed weapon, before abandoning everything she always knew.

There were times she admittedly still felt lost, as she wandered the galaxy for answers.

General Organa’s next question...was one Azra didn’t want to answer. She didn’t know how to answer, truthfully. Or at least explain her reasoning in actual words. For a few seconds, she sat there, silently staring at the floor as her fingers fiddled with the edge of her shirt.

“Because there are still people I care about in the Order,” she finally answered, her voice soft at first. “My father, my friends,” and an ex or two, though that didn’t have to be mentioned. “The thought of contributing to anything that could hurt them…” she trailed off with a shake of her head.

Myka was quite aware of the discomfort caused by her actions towards Kylo Ren, but she didn’t care, and Kylo didn’t push her away, either. She might be able to gradually move into other displays, but right now, this was good. Phasma knew for certain, and so did FN-2187. Rumors were likely going to start circulating soon, if not from them, then simply from her general demeanor – if they hadn’t already.

She had yet to catch wind of them.

Myka cast a little smile Phasma’s way as Kylo stated how things would be. No doubt, Phasma was technically outranked by Kylo, but would she go to Snoke? Myka didn’t think so, after their own conversation earlier, but it wasn’t off the table, either. This seemed to be a mutual secret. “Then, I’ll come speak to you later about his schedule, Phasma,” Myka said.

She couldn’t break him free of Phasma, but at least he wasn’t going to have to deal with Kylo, who likely was not a very forgiving master.

“Are things settled, then?” Myka wondered, not leaning away from Kylo at all.

~***~

Azra’s answer was exactly what Leia thought it would be. It was always personal, loved ones and the like, that messed with people’s perceptions. It was the one thing that, perhaps, she had an advantage over other people about. She wasn’t as heartless as some thought, although she still wondered if the trade-off was worth it, at times.

When she considered who her enemy was, now.

“Believe me when I say, I understand,” Leia said, “but that I still find your decision to hold their lives above the galaxy’s well-being to be, quite honestly, worrisome.” More than that, but Azra was just facing this decision, and voicing these feelings, now.

Poe gave her a look, a bit startled at her words, and she met it with that practiced, dull, disbelief that he would even try to consider questioning her on this.

She wasn’t being harsh, in her opinion.

“I know all your loved ones, and the life you had, are with the Order. I lost my entire world – I know what it is to lose your life, and have to find a new one. I know what it is to want to kick and scream and fight your way back to an old life that made sense, but you don’t have that luxury any longer.”

Just as Leia didn’t.

“I’m not going to say you have to pick a side right now. I am going to say, you have two days to decide. After that, if you still want to remain neutral, you have to leave.”

And if their base was compromised, Leia knew where to look. “I believe your files have as much information as we can get from you, yourself, and given your stance I won’t ask you for more. However, if you want to offer more, then we’re certainly here to listen and review the information with you, but at this time, there isn’t much more for you to do, other than rest, and finish up your treatment.”

A bit of a crooked smile touched her lips, “I won’t send you out of here without being fully healed and well fed, after your help.”

FN-2187 briefly considered if there would be any reprimands if he were to tell his friends about what he saw in front of him. It was too good to simply NOT tell them, but it also felt...forbidden. Like no one else should be watching this.

Oh well, he will still tell them.

Phasma nodded at Myka. “Very well.” She would do what was instructed of her, and if FN-2187 still fell in line, and didn’t cause any issue, she saw no harm in learning the Force. For now.

She could potentially see the issues with it down the line, when he learned more, and became more bold against his superiors. That, she would certainly go to Kylo Ren to discuss. Not Myka.

She still didn’t trust Myka.

“That will be all. You are dismissed, FN-2187.” At the permission, the Stormtrooper turned and made his retreat back to his quarters a bit hastily. No doubt everyone will want to hear what happened to him, and how he's still alive. Phasma watched him walk away, then she turned back to Kylo and Myka. “I believe this is a delicate situation that will require careful monitoring.

As if that hadn’t been obvious, and Kylo could only agree. He would need to keep a watchful eye on not only the Stormtrooper, but also Myka.

~~~

Azra felt like a child being scolded by her mother. Now she knew why everyone felt so intimidated by her, how she managed to be portrayed larger in the stories than she truly was, and Azra had a feeling Leia wasn’t even trying to be intimidating in the moment, but only just the collected, experienced leader that she was.

A leader who had seen too much in her lifetime.

She had heard stories of Alderaan. While Azra still had those she loved still alive, Leia did not, but she continued to fight for what she thought was right for the galaxy, despite yearning for the past. It was something Azra knew she would have to learn to do.

Her loved ones may still be alive, but she didn’t want anyone else to feel the pain of losing their family or friends.

“I think I know my answer,” she spoke softly, finally looking back up at Leia, “but give me those two days to think everything through, and to see the base and everyone.” She would feel better if she talked to others, and see how things are run around there.

She gave a small smile to Leia, appreciative of a place to rest and eat. “There is one more thing I want to mention that you won’t find in the file,” she looked over at Poe, “nor have I mentioned to you yet.” She glanced back at Leia. “A few days before I left the Order, I overheard my father and another officer mention the name ‘Starkiller.’ I’m not sure if it’s related to this weapon, or if it’s the name of a base, or something unrelated. The conversation was very confusing,” and nothing had made sense to Azra.

“But with a name like that, I felt it best to let you know of it, and see if anything more could be found on it.”

FN-2187 ran off quickly. ‘He needs a better name.’ He wasn’t at the point of having a Darth name, but certainly he deserved a better name than that! He probably had one amongst his friends, right? Myka would have to find out. She wasn’t calling him all that nonsense. He stood out, now.

He should have a name to reflect that.

Myka knew the hell it was to live without a name. She’d been without for too many long years, just variations of possessives; no doubt it was how she ended up with Myka, retaining that ‘my’ she’d heard for too long.

“Of course,” Myka agreed, “I’m sure when we discuss his schedule, we can also discuss what I should be reporting regarding this. I’m not sure what you would or would not want to know. And I’ll report to Commander Ren, as well,” of course, though she might get away with obfuscating more with Ren than she would with Phasma.

That wasn’t important.

And certainly not to be said aloud, either.

~***~

Leia was usually quite good at reading people. That she’d pegged Azra as someone who was likely to join them was not unexpected for her, nor was Azra’s request to keep those days to think it over. Leia knew better than to pressure someone like her. There were others who responded better to pressure, and those who would run at the hint of an ultimatum. She’d learned this, from both the Rebel Alliance and Resistance.

Sometimes, she wished she’d known it better in her youth.

Azra would settle in during those two days, and come to find she could make a home here, of sorts. A found family that would support her in what she thought was right. With any luck, Azra’s father would end up turning, but given he had supported the Empire? Leia didn’t hold much hope.

That meant he supported two Death Stars.

“That doesn’t sound ominous at all,” Poe noted as Azra indicated the name, Starkiller. He didn’t like it. Nor did Leia.

“We’ll look into it,” Leia promised, planning to start a search for that name, and where it popped up, and how. The Order could keep secrets, Leia knew this only too well, but this would at least be a start into cracking this one. Hopefully, in time. Whether or not it related to the weapon, it was still something the Order wanted to keep hidden. “If we find anything, I’ll let you know,” since she had brought it to Leia’s attention.

Both Kylo and Phasma nodded, agreeing with what Myka stated. And they would try and keep it to the three of them for now, although neither Kylo nor Phasma held much hope that it wouldn’t spread further due to FN-2187 and the silly need for gossip.

And if, or when, Snoke learns about this development, they will deal with it then.

“Very well,” Phasma said, unsure of how she felt about future meetings with the Sith. She still had a lot to figure out.

“If that is it, you are dismissed,” Kylo said, and with a nod, Phasma turned on her heel and walked down the corridor. When she was gone, Kylo stepped back into the room with the door closing behind him. “So you found this Stormtrooper?” he asked, turning back to face Myka.

“You discovered a Stormtrooper with Force sensitivity, and you neglected to tell me about this?”

~~~

Azra bit her lip and nodded at Leia. “Thank you.” She wished she had more on this project, or whatever it was that Starkiller ended up being. Maybe there was something in her files that could hint at what it was, and hopefully they had analysts who could do just that job.

And stop the First Order before they could create anymore doughnut planets and tear families apart.

“There is something else I wanted to ask,” she started, leaning forward in her chair just slightly. “Are there any other First Order defectors in the Resistance?” Azra didn’t know of any, but she also didn’t believe that would be information easily accessible to anyone outside the Resistance.

The Order certainly wouldn’t tell them of any defectors.

Phasma left them, and they returned to the room. It wouldn’t be so easy to lure Kylo back into the bed, although Myka certainly would have preferred it. She stepped in, and stepped away from him so it was easier to look at him as he inquired about the soldier she found on the ship, and didn’t tell him about.

“I was not sure there was much to tell. I did not get his name, and he seemed uninterested in learning anything further, earlier,” Myka answered, “and after that it slipped my mind,” after that, it was a waiting game and Myka didn’t focus on it. So that wasn’t a lie. It had slipped her mind.

FN-2187 had ceased to be immediately interesting.

Now he was, for stupidly trying to use the Force when he didn’t know what he was doing. “I also wasn’t sure if you already knew or not,” Myka knew he didn’t. But to say that, to assume Kylo was that weak and ignorant in the Force, would be a poor move on her part. “He does happen to be the only one on this ship, besides yourself, after all.”

~***~

Azra’s question was not entirely unexpected. She would want to be reassured she wasn’t the only one, after all. Although Leia was certain that Azra was not the only one to leave the First Order, few had come to the Resistance. Still, Azra wasn’t the only one, “Yes.”

Leia’s thoughts went first to the former captain, Cardinal, brought in bloody and near death by Vi Moradi. He hadn’t had much more to offer them, he had been excluded from much as Phasma rose in the ranks, but he did help to reveal how the Order was working, and shifting, from what it had been at the beginning.

Then there was Ryvora, a new informant from the Order who had helped them with the information about the Colossus. There was still a lot of work to do there to help liberate it from the Order’s control, but they were working on it.

“I’m sure you understand why I will not be mentioning their names or identities to you currently, but you wouldn’t be alone in defecting to the Resistance from the First Order. It’s always a…touchy process, for understandable reasons.” Many came with significant baggage. With their worldview ruined.

And many were afraid of others from the Order.

She’d seen this before with Imperial defectors.

Kylo hardly believed she would allow it to slip from her mind. Certainly something like that would’ve stayed on his mind, but then again, Myka seemed like the type to easily get distracted by something else. Maybe she was telling the truth, in some way.

But that didn’t mean he was pleased.

And now it seemed so obvious that there was another with the Force on the ship. Kylo hadn’t felt it before, because he hadn’t searched out for it. Now it was ever present. Just what exactly was the potential with this Stormtrooper?

“Whether or not there was much to tell is hardly the point.” The annoyance was still there, but at least Phasma had the logic to come and talk to Kylo about FN-2187. “In the future, I need to be told about such occurrences,” though the likelihood of another with the Force on that ship was low.

But...anything was possible, that was clear.

~~~

Azra could easily understand why Leia didn’t want to mention their names. It was too risky when her own allegiance was hazy at best for the moment. Still, she wanted to know, but she was also satisfied in knowing she wasn’t the only defector.

It brought some peace to mind that she was on the right path for what was good for the galaxy.

She nodded at Leia. “I understand, thank you.” And she now knew that if she did join, if she agreed to become a rebel, then she wouldn’t be alone in her decision. That they’ll accept her despite her past.

“I appreciate what you’re doing,” and it made her feel guilt for her earlier articles she wrote, like the one Terex had brought up during breakfast. I never even got to finish those hotcakes. Azra knew the least she could do was to spread the word of the good the Resistance was doing, from what she had seen.

“Is there anything else you wanted to discuss?”

The future was indeed something yet to be seen. How many in the Order might have the Force, that Kylo didn’t recognize? How many that Snoke and the Knights of Ren, overlooked? Myka could agree to this hypothetical, at least, though she doubted she would be touring the other ships anytime soon.

So, she offered an inclination of her head, “Next time, I’ll send you a message as soon as I notice something,” she offered to help quell his worries. It did not matter much to her; she had FN-2187 to train, and it seemed she would be the only Force-user doing so right now, which was how she preferred it.

Whether or not that would remain true for others found was debatable. She was able to take a hold of this situation now, because there was a precedent for it. By the time they found others, they may have figured something out for them. ‘You never need too many.’ That’s why the Rule of Two had been so effective, after all.

Not that Myka was a stickler for rules like that, but she understood the underhanded methods the Sith had to use.

That she may yet have to use.

“I am sorry I didn’t think to mention it; I really did get distracted with everything else when he seemed uninterested.”

How long could she play up easily distracted fool? ‘Long enough.’

~***~

Leia was glad that Azra understood, and didn’t attempt to throw a fit to get more information. She wasn’t a member of the Resistance, for one. Two…in the case of Cardinal, he didn’t want it to be known. It wasn’t as if most had even know his face, let alone the name he now used. Leia would let him approach people as he felt comfortable.

“No,” she answered Azra’s question with a shake of her head, “I will tell you that your prior history with the Order will be kept between us. The use of a moniker will make that easier,” Leia knew what her real name was. “It’s on you if you ever want to tell anyone, and after that, it’s on them if they spread it or not.”

A reminder that while Leia and Poe, likely, wouldn’t be spreading it – others could. Yes, it wouldn’t be smiled upon, but it was a real risk. They were the Resistance, but each of them were still fallible beings. Someone might decide it was better to let everyone know, to ‘warn’ them of Azra’s history.

Some may even have other, good intentions for spreading it.

That was the problem with people – they could reason anything into being ‘good’ if they tried hard enough. “You’re both free to go, if you don’t have any further questions.”

Kylo wondered if he could call out his doubts on Myka’s insistence that she would message him next time, if there was a next time, or if he should just hold her to that promise, vowing consequences if she did not follow through.

“Good,” he ran a hand through his hair in slight exasperation, though he didn’t think there would be another Force sensitive aboard the Finalizer. If there was, then it hadn’t woken up in them yet. Or he was just overlooking them again, like with FN-2187.

He let the rest slide for now. He could forgive her, for she was still new to the ship, and possibly overwhelmed with information. No, that’s no excuse. Not for someone like her.

“You will keep me updated on how these sessions go,” he said firmly. “But for now, we still have to prepare for the mission in the morning.” They still had to get up early to head planet-side, and now thanks to the interruption, it was getting late.

And Kylo doubted they would continue what had been happening before Phasma knocked on his door.

~~~

Azra nodded, satisfied in what Leia told her. She would want things to remain a secret for now, until she could judge individual members of the Resistance in how they would react to a First Order defector. “Thank you, I would like for it to stay a secret for now.”

But she didn’t want to truly lie about herself. If questions about her past came up, she wouldn’t avoid them. Azra would answer truthfully. Maybe with some small stretch though...like she had done with Poe when he asked her questions.

She never lied to him. She just reworded certain answers.

“Thank you, again, for helping me,” Azra said as she stood up, intending on following Poe out of there. He would be the one to help her out while she was orienting herself to where everything was located, and to introduce her to many new faces she would no doubt immediately forget until the next encounter.

Myka felt a similar exasperation as Kylo reminded her to report to him about FN-2187. She rolled her eyes as she stepped towards him, and lifted on her tiptoes to wrap her arms around the back of his neck. No, she knew the chances for reigniting this evening were slim, but she couldn’t leave on a sour note. “Fiiiiine,” she said, as if merely a petulant child being scolded for doing something they should have known.

Myka could plead ignorance.

She could plead being overwhelmed, easily distracted, a host of things, really – so far, Kylo had no proof to the contrary. And Myka had always been good at underplaying her intelligence, her emotions, when it mattered. Long enough to kill her master. Long enough, certainly, to keep Kylo under thumb.

“I promise I’ll report on FN-2187’s training every day it occurs, and I’ll be well-rested for tomorrow,” would Kylo be upset if she went after Phasma before sleep? Probably. Best not to find out, she should give Phasma time to think about the situation, too.

“But only with a goodnight kiss.”

~***~

As Azra turned from Leia, Poe gave a nod to Leia, and she mimicked it, before he followed Azra out and back into the command center. “C’mon, we should leave these people alone,” he figured now wasn’t the best time to have Azra around the high officials of Leia’s workings. For one, they were likely to peg her a lot quicker. Two, she was still new to this. These weren’t the easy, rank-and-file who got along with most.

Poe knew that many in Leia’s inner circle were straight-up savages who didn’t even like him interrupting, and he hadn’t even met all of them. He still hadn’t met the famed Vice-Admiral Holdo who apparently had been a friend of Leia’s since childhood – even before the Rebel Alliance.

One day, he supposed, but from what he heard she wasn’t exactly an easy person to get along with.

Getting back outside and some fresh air would probably be good. “How ya feeling?” He asked once they were outside, eyes assessing her. He knew Leia, also, wasn’t the easiest person, but he thought that went well. Even if Leia was a bit intense in some moments, that was still Organa-lite. He probably shouldn’t tell Azra that, though.

Kylo lifted his hands as Myka stepped up to him, wrapping her arms around his neck, but that wift of her scent? How her body felt pressed against his? He easily melted into her demands.

“You’re doing this on purpose,” he mumbled, his arms extending to wrap around Myka’s waste. He wouldn’t deny her.

Not when she was this close.

Kylo leaned down and pressed his lips against hers, his arms encircling her tightening as he attempted to bring her even closer into himself. As he realized he wanted the barrier between them fully gone and to continue what had started before their unfortunate interruption.

~~~

Azra easily followed Poe away from the command center, immediately gauging the importance of those people. People that shouldn’t be interrupted in any way, especially by her. Or by Poe, she figured. She followed alongside him without making any eye contact with any of them.

Definitely not because she was a little scared or intimidated. Just to not interrupt their important work.

Fresh air was greatly appreciated, and Azra took in a deep breath when they were back outside. “I’m feeling…” she sighed, and looked at Poe. “I’m not sure how I feel, to be honest. Like I was just chastised by my mother?” Azra shrugged. “But also like there’s a huge weight off my shoulders.” That she was finally allowing herself to move past her history and actually start a new life.

“I think a part of me is still struggling with...all of this, but I also think that would be typical of someone in my situation.”

Myka wouldn’t confirm Kylo’s suspicions with more than a chuckle that still vibrated a moment into the kiss he offered, smile lingering even then. She returned it, of course, holding him to her and holding him down to her level so she could press back against him, and enjoy all of him for just a few more seconds, before she would have to leave.

Even she’d miss it, the warmth, the strength, all of it that was him, as she loosened her grip on his neck and broke away, falling back to the flats of her feet, and removing herself from his grasp. Given she thought of leaving him wanting before, this wasn’t a negative end.

Even if it left her wanting.

She was familiar enough with that.

She didn’t think he was.

“Good night, Commander,” she said as she moved for the door, giving a lazy little wave back as she reached the door to leave him alone for the night, still enjoying the lingering warmth and sensations as they thrilled through her body.

She’d sleep well, at least.

~***~

Some of Azra’s anxiety could be picked up on, but that wasn’t a surprise. He’d be anxious, in her shoes, having met Leia and then needing to clear out of a space of lots of important and confusing people – people she couldn’t yet place, half as easily as she could probably place in the Order. Not just because of lack of knowledge, but also because the Resistance didn’t have such obvious hints on their attire.

No one could guess Poe was a commander by looking at him, nor Leia a General.

It helped, in some ways, but it also hurt them a bit. Poe wouldn’t deny that being obvious about ranking could help out a lot of people new to this, but it also helped them to mask who was, and who wasn’t, involved.

Azra, at least, nailed the Leia feeling in way that made Poe laugh, “Yeah – she does that.” He agreed, “I’ve felt like a kid who accidentally ate the cake meant for someone else, more often than I’d like to admit,” and worse than that, but he didn’t need to clarify when keeping things light was probably to her benefit right now.

“And yeah…it’s pretty typical. This is new. New things are scary and uncertain, even if it’s something you set out to do. No one is expecting you to be gung-ho immediately,” well, maybe Leia, but Leia…had her reasons.

Kylo felt himself melt into the kiss that only teased him, coerced him into wanting more, even if there was some lingering anger. It quickly dissipated with every touch, every thought of how her body felt.

His arms protested breaking away from Myka at first, and once they did, he frowned as she walked to his door. That wasn’t right. She wasn’t supposed to be walking in that direction.

But he knew.

“Where are you going?” Kylo gruffed. He could already imagine the smirk that would cross Myka’s face. “I thought we agreed it would be best for you to stay here, since we have to leave so early in the morning.”

Yes, that was the reason.

~~~

Poe’s laughter eased the trepidation Azra felt, and she chuckled at his own admittance. “Somehow, that does not surprise me, with all of those stunts you’ve pulled in our short time together.” Like on Castilon. Or the fact that they were shot at soon after meeting.

She imagined that their general was constantly exasperated by the pilot.

“And I’ve done nothing but new and scary things for some time now,” she muttered with a slight shrug of her shoulders. Leaving everything she knew behind, for an uncertain future, but if she could establish herself with the Resistance? Then maybe she could finally be comfortable somewhere.

No more silent regret over leaving the Order, just because of how she hated the loneliness.

“But you still seem so certain that I am joining,” she said with a light poke to Poe’s chest.

Myka was amused with Kylo’s protesting question as she waited a moment at the door, not yet opening it or leaving. Hadn’t she made it obvious, by asking for a kiss? “We did,” Myka wouldn’t take that away from him, “but things changed with Phasma’s words. I need to take time to think and meditate on this new situation.”

Which was true, she did need to feel this out, even if she’d enjoy feeling out Kylo a bit more. Even if she knew the inherent risk of annoying Kylo so early in the relationship. She would find a way to make it up with him, sooner than later, to keep him still on her side, still enraptured by her.

Right then, she both did, and didn’t, want to stay.

No smirk, though.

No open amusement or mockery, no tease.

“I promise I’ll be awake at the right time,” she said, “I know how important this is to you.” To find Luke, and to eliminate the supposed Last Jedi before too many more could pop up. It ought to be her goal as well, and she knew it, she just didn’t see much of the same threat as Kylo Ren did. It wasn’t as personal, for her.

~***~

Poe kept the grin on his face as Azra acknowledged how obvious it was that he was, in fact, a troublemaker that exasperated Leia. He was probably lucky to still be here. Well, no, he knew that wasn’t true. There were reasons Leia put up with his bullshit, and it was because he was as competent as he was passionate about the Resistance and its success. Leia wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I know. That doesn’t really make it easier, though. Just…gives you more practice,” Poe gave a light shrug of his shoulders, “Things are still new and scary. You probably need a break, if anything!” And staying on base a bit, getting in some time to relax and make friends, would probably help with that.

“I haven’t said anything,” he teased as Azra called him out, “but I am still thinking it,” she’d all but said it in speaking to Leia, from what he understood. “Besides, would you really prefer I start treating you as temporary?” he didn’t want to. He didn’t know how to, really. “If nothing else, Az, I’m still hoping to have you as a friend, even if you don’t decide to stay on here. Is that so bad?”

Kylo wanted to call her out on her words. He wanted to say that she was lying, that she was only making excuses for her departure and to leave him behind. But for now, he said nothing. He only stared at her, unamused and with a touch of irritation on his features.

"Good, "he said rather plainly with a swallow. "I do hope you wake up on time, as I will not be able to help you then. I will not wait for you.” This mission was far too important for him to wait for some silly childish hope.

He didn’t make a step forward, nor any attempt to halt Myka and persuade her to stay. That would merely be fruitless at this point.

“I’ll see you in the morning,” he said, stepping toward his closet. Kylo would let her go back to her quarters, so she could apparently meditate on this new situation with Phasma and FN-2187. He didn’t see the necessity in doing so right then, but he wouldn’t question it. Just accept it.

~~~

Azra took a glimpse around their immediate surroundings with a soft smile. “You know what? You just may be right. I can’t even remember the last time I had a break.” Her mind was always on work, or always thinking about if she made a mistake or not, while constantly looking over her own shoulder for any First Order officers.

She could use a rest.

"No I don't think I would want that,"she said with a light chuckle. Being treated as a temporary was not something she desired either. Azra grew to like Poe’s presence in her life, and in that moment, she believed that she could see herself in this environment as a Resistance fighter. "But I do think I would also like to have you as a friend. "

Though a part of her silently wanted more than that, a thought she swallowed before she allowed herself to think on it more. Having a friend would be nice, especially a friend like Poe. And also having a friend like him was a great incentive for her to stay, Not that she needed an additional incentive.

Azra already knew what her decision was, and she was sure that Poe knew as well. She was staying, but for now, she would pretend that she wasn’t. Or rather, pretend that she hadn’t made up her mind. Just in case.

Kylo’s upset was no surprise, and Myka would not attempt to soothe him then. He would sleep it off, or grow increasingly angrier through the night. Either way, it was a problem for Myka to deal with, later. There was nothing to be done for it right away, “Pleasant dreams, Ren,” she allowed, before she would turn and leave his quarters.

She would, at least, head right to her own, and do as she’d stated – meditate.

She tried to gather more from the Force about this FN-2187, but rather like Ren, he was…broken. Shattered. Uncertain. Unlike with Ren, it wasn’t starships and horror that she could pick out, but sand and green eyes, and an immense feeling of heartbreak that, somehow, she knew was her own.

A warning, perhaps.

One she wouldn’t heed. The future was never set.

The following day, she acted as if nothing had happened, awake early, and in the proper hangar even before Ren, nursing a cup of hot chocolate, and as indecent as promised: a bikini with a sarong around one hip.

At least the sarong was red.

~***~

Poe nodded, “Then it’s settled, until those two days are up, I’m just going to pretend like you’re a new recruit and get you acclimated to the Resistance. Leia will probably be glad to have me around and not running off, giving her a new gray hair every day,” he laughed, though he imagined that wasn’t far from the truth.

They didn’t have a good lead on Luke, though they at least knew where Lor San Tekka was, and he was helping them with that. Eventually, they would figure it out, and find where Luke had been, but for now, Lor San Tekka was looking for a map for them, that he knew Luke had left behind.

Why Luke left behind a map, and why he wouldn’t just return to them, was a mystery. Poe had a lot of strong words prepared for Luke, that was certain. How could he just leave Leia and Han like this? The galaxy?

“We should probably get you something to eat – I think your breakfast was rather rudely interrupted,” he suggested, motioning towards their cafeteria set-up. Wasn’t fancy, but it worked well enough to keep them fed, so that was what mattered. Poe would have liked more variety.

Kyla watched as Myka and left the room, which he desperately wanted to put a stop to. But for now he would have to remain patient. He had more important things to think about, such as his mission tomorrow to search for Lor San Tekka.

His dreams were as turbulent as they ever were, even with the added frustration of Myka’s denial that evening. But that was only trivial compared to what he had on his mind, what he always had on his mind.

Kylo was up early, dressed in his normal garbs with the helmet on, as he strolled into the hangar. He hadn’t sent Myka a message earlier, a slight petty response to being snubbed the previous night, but it seemed the a message hadn’t been necessary.

Myka was there, barely covered, which came as simultaneously no surprise to Kylo and of great irritation.

What he felt the night before came rushing back at a speed that should be impossible.

“Good, you’re here,” he said, walking past Myka without a second glance, heading for his shuttle. “Come, we’re leaving now.”

~~

Azra grinned at Poe. She liked the idea of him being her little welcoming committee on D’Qar for two days. “Oh? So you’re going to be my personal tour guide this entire time?” She wouldn’t complain in the least.

Not that she would tell Poe this.

“But I do think food sounds great right about now. I didn’t get to finish those hotcakes after all,” she easily agreed with him. “I hope your cafeteria is less exciting than Maz’s Castle.” It was a tease, as she knew that would be the case, unless somehow someone figured out her secret between Leia’s office and their short journey to the caf, and blurted it out in front of everyone.

And now that was going to be her persistent fear for the foreseeable future.

Well, Kylo was upset!

Even with the wave of lust that hit him, his snub was obvious, and she didn’t need to see his face to know he was trying to avoid acknowledging her presence. With him passing her, she had a free moment to roll her eyes at his utter pettiness, before she hopped off the wing of the ship and landed lightly on her feet to follow him up the ramp into the ship.

It seemed as if it would be just them.

“You’re upset,” she pointed out as she slid down into the copilot’s chair, hardly letting it slide that his mood was so sour. “At me.” He was too obvious, “I didn’t realize it meant so much to you that I stay the night,” well, she hadn’t expected this kind of frustration from him. Some, sure, but she figured he’d get over it.

Perhaps she was underestimating what it all meant to him. She knew he was virginal, but nonetheless, she hadn’t estimated this. After all, he did give in quickly. Why would he be so attached to it now? ‘Men.’ As straightforward as their desires were, they were still a confusing, internal, mess.

~***~

“Yes, yes I am,” Poe agreed as they made their way into the base cafeteria, which would definitely not be as exciting as Maz’s Castle. It was mostly full of tired or anxious Resistance members, and not that many of them. This wasn’t a peak hour, after all. There were plenty that Poe recognized, and he lifted his hand to wave at a few as he led the way to the trays and the buffet options.

Not that there was much.

Poe could only sigh, “This is one of the reasons I like traveling,” he murmured, though he wouldn’t criticize it too much. It was better than paste or rations. Still, it wasn’t the best food out there, and not a lot of it was fresh, except what they could find on D’Qar. "Much less exciting here, and less variety."

There were at least a lot of poultry that they could eat, and Poe leaned towards that rather than anything else. He’d find an isolated table for them, as well. Azra needed a break from dealing with everyone to just eat her food and get herself oriented.

Kylo didn’t think Myka would point out his mood so quickly.

Well, he hoped she wouldn’t.

But of course, nothing about the woman was subtle. Her very presence screamed out at everyone, and not just for the scandalous and impractical way she dressed. It was just part of who she was. What she was molded into.

“I am not upset over that,” he said too quickly for someone who wasn’t upset. He sat down in the pilot’s seat and started up the engines for the shuttle. “I am simply focused on the mission ahead.”

He didn’t even know if he was lying. Maybe he was, or maybe it was equal parts true and false. “But I am pleased you are here on time.” That wasn’t a lie. He didn’t want to have to message her, nor did he want to go on the mission without her.

Kylo simply wanted to see her in a new environment, what she could offer.

~~~

Azra looked over and flashed Poe a smile. “Good.” Snap was the only other person she knew in the Resistance, but, no offense to him, she much preferred Poe’s company at the moment. After all, she felt far more comfortable with him than anyone else there.

It was easy to accept after crying in front of him.

The cafeteria indeed left much to be desired, but Azra wouldn’t complain about the food. It just...wouldn’t be right. But even Poe admitted there could be more.

The food and the ‘variety’ of choices reminded Azra a bit of her life back in the First Order. “It reminds me a bit of what I was used to,” she murmured back, glancing over the buffet. “They were primarily concerned about nutrition, and as a result, much flavor was lost.”

She took a cue from Poe and chose the poultry as well. “I’d imagined you’ve traveled to a bunch of places, right? What’s been your favorite so far?” There weren’t many others in the caf, and it was easy for them to pick a table that was further from the others where they could enjoy the meal in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back