• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Rising Tide [closed]

There was little surprise to Myka that Kylo now considered things more amusing than, perhaps, he would have before. She wouldn’t let it bother her. It was always better to be underestimated, and to keep Ren in a good mood. “I know at least some of the areas, I daresay I know all of them, but I’ll learn.” Myka answered easily enough, “I do apologize of my activities continue to bother you thanks to the reactions of others.”

He would get over it. Perhaps remain just as amused.

“I believe I have mostly annoyed Captain Phasma,” she said, “and some in the Bridge, I hardly caught all of their names,” she chuckled, “I know not to go there again, and so I won’t,” for now.

She’d have to find and meet General Hux in another way. Certainly he ate, right? Slept? She would figure it out, even if she had to read a few minds along the way.

~***~

Poe watched as Azra made her way to the cockpit and he gave her a bit of a smile as she sat down, clearly disoriented. He got up, setting his hand on the back of her seat as he did so, “You’re welcome,” he said, “looks to me like you need something softer to drink, though.”

Water, caf, she definitely needed something. Maybe food, too. She looked rough. Not that it was a surprise, but it was still something that needed tending to.

“What’s your poison?” He asked, speaking a bit softer, in case her hangover was notable. He’d wait for her to offer an answer before he’d move away to get her what she needed in order to get oriented, and get to feeling alive again.

Even BB-8 would keep his good morning as soft beeps.

Kylo scoffed. “Do you really apologize for that?” To him, she seemed more of the type to shrug and say ‘oh well’ if her actions got back to Kylo in the way of annoyances and grievances made by some of the officers.

And he would remain far more amused by it than anything else, especially if it meant she annoyed General Hux, but if the man thought to complain to Supreme Leader Snoke about the situation, then it would stop being amusing.

Then Kylo and Myka would need to have a talk.

“I would be careful annoying Captain Phasma,” he mused. “I think out of everyone on this ship, she is the only one who can be intimidating in her own right.” She was a fighter, a survivor, and in the few times he and Phasma had trained together, it was something he could clearly see

“And good, don’t attempt to go there again unless you are summoned.” Some would say that the very act of her wandering onto the Bridge could be criminal, but no one would dare tell Kylo that. Just to remind him to keep his...guest in line.

~~~

Azra gave Poe a strange look, as she realized he was offering to fetch her whatever she needed. Her immediate reaction was to think he wanted something from her, but no, this is just how Poe was. He had a good heart, and he wanted to help.

“Black caf, and I guess I should also have some water.” She could imagine how she looked right then. She hadn’t changed her clothes from yesterday, which were now wrinkled from sleeping in them, and her hair was a mass of tangled curls.

At least she looked about as well as she felt.

When Poe left to fetch her the caf, Azra looked at BB-8 with a smile. “Good morning. I’m sorry you had to see me like that yesterday.”

The little droid didn’t mind. It was just happy that Azra was now okay, minus the hangover.

She chuckled, “Oh, I know this will go away once I get something in my body. I didn’t have that much to drink.”

“Of course I do,” Myka gave her own little laugh, “It does not mean I will be stopping, as it’s only a minor thing, but I don’t wish you too much annoyance.” Just a little bit. Just enough to stay on his mind, as an agitation. An itch. Something persistent that he couldn’t get rid of. Something he didn’t want to get rid of, ideally.

That Phasma was the only intimidating one did not surprise her. Many of the Officers, while they had hard exteriors, she could tell they were brittle. They’d break easily, and have little to fall back on.

These were hollow lives.

“It’s why she’s one of the few interesting ones,” Myka said, “I’ll try not to upset her too much, but I make no promises about not bothering her again. She’s interesting,” and was around something far more interesting than herself, that Trooper with the Force.

“I likely should be going to attend to these absolutely urgent things,” she teased, lifting a bit, but only to place a kiss on the side of his neck, as if in parting.

As if she was the one with the business to do, and he just some layabout.

~***~

Poe screwed his face up a little at the request for ‘black caf’, but he’d fetch it, along with the water. Why she didn’t want sugar or cream baffled him, but he figured that was also the norm in the First Order. Probably some sort of competition, or need to show no weakness. How caf that was sweetened was weak, was beyond Poe.

He wouldn’t ask, though – he’d just return with the black caf, as non-judgmentally as possible, and hold out both the caf and water for you.

“We’re en-route to Takodana now, so I can pick up my ship again. I’ll give you the coordinates to base once we get there,” he knew he had to trust her to follow him at that point, and hope she wouldn’t go running off anywhere else.

Hope she wouldn’t give this to the First Order.

The very fact that Myka wouldn’t leave Kylo’s mind was an annoyance in and of itself. In only a day she had managed to worm herself into his head, and if Kylo had the sense to contemplate the ramifications of such a thing, he may not have been pleased with it.

Good thing for Myka he wasn’t so concerned to think about it right then.

“I do hope you tell her she’s interesting,” Kylo said with mild amusement. “I wish to hear how she reacts to that. People have called her many things over the years, but interesting?” There was a snort. “I don’t think I’ve heard that one before.”

But she was interesting, Kylo had to admit. In many different ways.

As Myka began to get up and place a kiss on the side of his neck, Kylo fought back the desire to wrap his arms completely around her waist and draw her back in. But he didn’t, not this time. He would allow her to get up, his fingers trailing over her skin as she did so. “Then I won’t keep you any longer.”

~~~

Azra thought nothing wrong with her perfectly normal request of black caf. She liked it! Well, she never did try and taste it. For her, caf wasn’t something to sip and enjoy. She just wanted the caffeine it provided, and therefore, cream and sugar were unnecessary additions.

When Poe returned, she accepted her items with gratitude, and she first drank the water, finishing about half the glass before she stopped to breathe. Fuck, I was thirstier than I thought.

“Will you be waiting at this Resistance base when I arrive?” Somehow, the thought of being there alone, without Poe to help her, was terrifying, though she knew he would be there.

And she knew he would have to get his ship again from Takodana, but somehow, Azra thought it wouldn’t be so soon. That maybe they would go to the Resistance base first, discuss some things, then get his ship and go on from there.

Myka was glad that Kylo wasn’t going to put up a fuss, or let his emotions sink, as she moved away from him. She had been concerned about that, but for as much as she could enjoy just lounging about, there was still much to do.

So much more to figure out about the Order, and significantly more to figure out about those in charge. Now that she had Kylo wrapped around her finger a bit more tightly, she could move forward on getting others just as enthralled.

She grinned as she did feel his hands linger over her as she pulled away, and she wouldn’t be hasty in dressing, “I’ll be sure to tell Phasma,” perhaps she’d even make that her next point.

She might have to if Phasma continued to be in the way of her getting to meet that Trooper.

Once dressed she did throw back a wink to Kylo, “The outfit hides more than you thought, doesn’t it?” She asked teasingly, before she would indeed depart from his quarters, and focus in on that sensation of the stranger with the Force.

~***~

“Yeah,” Poe said, adding cheekily, “I think my X-Wing is a bit faster than this hunk of junk,” he still had little nice to say about Azra’s ship, “but if you want we can stay for breakfast at Takodana, to discuss anything else you might want to work out before we go there. Maybe have someone from the Resistance meet us, too.”

If she wanted more assurance, or to see another friendly face before she went off into the unknown of the Resistance base.

Black Squadron was usually pretty nice. Well, Jess and Kare could sometimes be contentious, but Snap was nice.

Breakfast, at least, ought to help her a little bit. She’d get to feeling better and maybe this wouldn’t seem so worrisome. In either case, he’d be there at the base, waiting for her, and he’d help her get situated once she was there.

Kylo chuckled. “I don’t think she would believe you if you told her.” Or if she did, Phasma wouldn’t know what to do. Interesting? No, he expected her to want to be called intimidating.

His eyes remained focused on her figure as she was slow in redressing, roaming every curve that her clothes did little in hiding. No, the outfit did not hide that much more than he thought, though there was some exploration in their time together.

Only when Myka left did Kylo got up and move to redress. As much as he wanted to, he could simply lounge around in bed, unclothed, for the remainder of the day. Even if he had no pressing matters at hand, there were tasks he could do.

Messages to answer, Knights to check up on in their individual missions, hoping that someone would bring him news of Luke Skywalker.

~~~

Azra chuckled, shaking her head as she sipped her caf. “I won’t argue with that.” X-Wings were meant to be fast. Her ship was not, even if she wanted to deny that it was a hunk of junk.

There was some validity to Poe’s statement.

But breakfast sounded good, and it might make her feel much better, although the caf was doing its job well. “Have someone meet us? If we did that, who would be meeting us?” she asked out of sheer curiosity. Not that it mattered, completely.

But it could help things, if she saw what others in the Resistance were like. You haven’t agreed to join yet.

Deep down, Azra knew her decision was made last night.

Myka knew where one of the cafeterias was, though she had imagined there were several others. It was one of those that she found, as she sought out that pulse of energy in the Force. It was there, amongst Troopers who had discarded their helmets so they could eat. No sign of Phasma, though. ‘Perfect.’

In some ways, yes, it certainly was, even if her arrival drew attention, and Phasma might know soon.

For now, she made her way towards one of the benches of Stormtroopers, and gave them a friendly smile, “Hello!”

One of them, FN-2003, also known teasingly (and lovingly) as Slip, looked around at the others in the FN group, hazel eye as confused as ever. It was Nines that nudged him, before Nines greeted, “Good afternoon, ma’am.”

She chuckled. ‘Ma’am.’ “Darth Vesta is fine. Or Myka,” she allowed, “Can I sit?”

They clearly didn’t even know if they could say ‘no’. So Slip nodded, and she took her seat as space was made, looking over the food. Or non-food, really. It looked like sludge.

~***~

“Probably Snap – Temmin Wexley, I don’t know if you’ve heard of his mom, Nora Wexley,” she was a part of the team that helped destroy the second Death Star. And then went on to help secure the victory over the Empire, with the Battle of Jakku. Poe didn’t know all the details of it. He knew Snap had been a part of it, though.

“He’s good people, though. Friendly enough, though a bit evasive and non-confrontational,” he remembered the issues that Snap had with Kare and that relationship, which came back to mind with a chuckle.

As they came out of lightspeed and started to head down, though, he took note that there was a new ship parked by his X-Wing. That wouldn’t be unusual, except that the design was akin to one he knew was destroyed.

He wouldn’t think about it too much.

“If you don’t want to meet anyone else, though, I won’t invite him.”

The woman was strange, not only in the way she dressed, or how her eyes looked, but also by the fact she was obviously not a Stormtrooper, and yet asked to sit next to them.

Who was she?

The name did little to offer who she was, except for the title ‘Darth.’ A Sith? Weren’t the Sith dead? Someone who idolizes the Sith?

Curious by her sudden appearance and why she decided to sit with a bunch of Stormtroopers, FN-2187 was the one who asked, “Who are you exactly, ma-” he paused, remembering her correction, “Darth Vesta.” It was the first name she provided, so he would use that.

“It’s just that you don’t quite look like anyone else on this ship.” Was he too bold?

~~~

Azra had to think for a moment if she had heard the name Nora Wexley before. It sounded familiar, though she couldn’t remember why. With the given explanation, she wanted to say she heard the name from those who were once Imperials, like her father, but she also wouldn’t be surprised if some of her previous research as a journalist led her across the name.

Across both names.

“I think I would like to meet someone,” she decided, and as they exited lightspeed, Azra stood up, caf in hand. “I’m still a journalist. I like to meet new people.” As long as Poe didn’t greet them with Hi, this is a defector of the First Order, she’ll be fine.

“I need to get dressed before we leave the ship though,” she said with a chuckle. She still very much looked like a hot mess and at least needed new clothes. “I won’t take long.”

And with that, Azra made her way to their quarters and quickly threw on a clean outfit, and though she didn’t brush her hair, she ensured that it was presentable. At least now she felt more human, and her head felt better after the black caf. “Okay, I’m ready,” she announced, stepping back into the main area of the ship.

‘I’m now the one fucking Kylo Ren.’ That was how Myka wanted to introduce herself, but she bit that back as best as she could. She couldn’t quite fight back the smile that came across her lips, though, as she recognized who it was.

The one with the Force. So slight a presence, but there. He was using it without even knowing it, reaching out, assessing situations, danger – no doubt he had a certain intuition about him.

No doubt he’d sense that darkness about her and not understand it – she imagined it would register as several hundred red flags, so she tried to temper it, to lessen her presence in the Force. “I met your First Order at Korriban, when Commander Ren arrived. I’ve been taken on to help teach him a bit about the Force, and learn whether or not your Order is something I want to support.”

“So, I’m not quite one of you yet,” she said, “and I must say, I’m not keen on adopting your attires,” she chuckled readily at that, “and I know that every position in the Order must understand it differently by virtue of their place in the great machine, so I wanted to come learn from their frontlines.”

“Oh, we’re not—we’re not quite front lines yet, Darth Vesta,” Slip took the hint from Eight-Seven, “We haven’t had our first field mission yet.”

“But we’ll do great when we do. Captain Phasma already thinks we’re among her better troops.” Nines said with some pride. “We’ll stop the anarchy from spreading across the galaxy and ruining more lives.”

~***~

As Azra went to get cleaned up, Poe found a place to land the ship and he sent a quick message to Snap to ask him to come to Takodana – he had a journalist that he wanted Snap to meet. He also indicated there was a chance of said journalist joining the Resistance, but nothing else. He wouldn’t out Azra immediately.

Once Azra had cleaned up, he gave an approving nod, “You look a bit more human now,” he joked as he got to his feet, BB-8 nudging his leg and telling him that was rude.

“What? I’m letting her know it worked! Cleaning up and getting dressed!”

BB-8 still thought it was rudely said, and Poe sighed, “Anyways, I let Snap know, he should be on his way in a bit. Plenty of time for us to order something to eat and get a bit settled, I think,” Poe said, as he offered Azra back the keys to her ship.

She’d need it, later.

Eighty-seven was still vastly confused with this woman, even before she spoke. A feeling he had, maybe a gut instinct, told him to be wary of this woman, though she seemed pleasant enough.

False niceties?

She seemed ready enough to answer their questions, or at least, he was hoping he was reading that right. The others added in on her conversation, and she seemed keen to continue talking to them.

But there was still that lingering thought that they needed to be careful.

“So, what have you learned of the First Order so far?” he decided to ask. Had she been there that long? Long enough to learn anything?

~~~

Azra chuckled, not at all offended by Poe’s statement. She definitely felt a bit more human, than earlier. All she needed now was some food, and she may even feel normal again. Relatively normal.

“Don’t worry, Beebee, I’m not too offended by what Poe said,” Azra joked, giving Poe a wink. The droid still thought that Poe could have said it better, but if she wasn’t offended, it would let go of the subject.

Azra nodded at what Poe said, taking her keys as she did so. “Alright, sounds good” It will give her a chance to further sober up and allow the hangover to disappear, or at least give her the illusion that she felt completely fine.

What a great first impression, a journalist nursing a hangover.

With that, Azra descended down the ramp to start making her way to Maz’s Castle.

“I have learned that you’re an organization following in the footsteps of the Empire, which my master adored, and her master was a part of,” Myka ticked off, “I have learned that Supreme Leader Snoke is your leader, General Hux and Commander Ren seem to occupy roles as his second-in-command, though Commander Ren seems outside the official chains. I know that I’m not allowed on the Bridge.”

Slips snickered.

Nines couldn’t help but ask, “Couldn’t you just do the Force trick thing?” He waved his hand as if in demonstration.

“I could,” Myka said, and gestured to Eight-Seven, “So could he.” There was no real need to hide it, and both Nines and Slip looked at Eight-Seven with astonishment.

“What?”

“Since when?”

“Eight-Seven, why didn’t you say anything?” Slip asked, sounding almost hurt.

“That could be so useful in the training programs!” Nines added.

~***~

The way to Maz’s castle was the same as ever, if not a little quieter, though there were others in the path that were clearly also nursing hangovers, saying goodbyes to friends they’d met up with. Some were new arrivals, and Poe nodded and smiled to a few he thought he recognized, but wasn’t sure.

He’d seen so many people, it was better to just assume at this point.

When he reached the doors and stepped in to scout a seat, he definitely saw someone he knew.

And they saw him. “Dameron!” Terex’s voice called over the crowd, and Poe groaned. While not technically a First Order agent any longer, they still despised each other. He should have known when he saw what looked like a stealth craft parked. “Come join me!”

“Really rather not, thanks,” he turned away to find any other seat, but of course, as soon as he found a booth, Terex had followed him over. He lifted his brows as he recognized, “Zahra? Oooh, what is going on here?” A feline grin spread over his lips. “Does your daddy know you’re out cavorting with rebel scum, Zahra dear?”

So far, none of the information Darth Vesta provided them was anything new. They knew the chain of command, they knew not to enter the Bridge unless specifically instructed to do.

But Eight-seven did not know what she said next. I can what?

He stared at her, wide-eyed for a second, before turning to his friends. “I can’t!” He insisted. No, he didn’t have the Force! Surely Kylo Ren would know if he could, or maybe even Phasma?

“I don’t know how to do the Force trick thing. I don’t have the Force!” he continued. A look of complete confusion was on his face. “I don’t understand what you’re talking about.”

~~~

Azra didn’t notice Terex until he decided to make himself known, and an instant grimace crossed her face. Should we just leave now? She followed Poe to a booth, and unfortunately, Terex decided to follow them as well.

Don’t talk to me, don’t talk to me, don’t talk to me…

Of course Azra didn’t have that much luck. He instantly recognized her, which she did not like. Not one bit. “I’m sure he’s assumed much worse by now.” She used to think often of what her father was thinking, after she had left. Wondering how disappointed he was in his child.

She no longer cared.

“Now if you’ll please leave us be,” Azra requested with a tight smile.

That Eight-Seven had no idea he had the Force was no surprise to Myka. She anticipated as much, and let him have his moment of denial. “I know you don’t,” Myka said, “It’s only started to awaken in you, but it’s there. I imagine you’ve had a sense about myself, and Commander Ren, that hasn’t felt right, haven’t you?”

She wouldn’t wait for confirmation on that, though, “It’s a natural response in recognizing another with the Force,” at least, so far as Myka knew, though she’d only encountered other dark-siders.

“Without training, you’re not going to be able to do the kinds of things you’ve heard about, but I thought I would offer to help you,” she imagined he might say ‘no’, right now, while he tried to figure it out. And while it was stewing in his head, he might end up trying to test it – he might end up inadvertently succeeding…and then, then he might come to her.

She doubted he’d go to Kylo Ren, at any rate.

“Wait, how do you know he has it, if he isn’t using it? Aren’t you born with it?”

Myka shook her head, “Not always. Not everyone.”

“So I could develop it one day?” Slip sounded excited, and though Myka highly doubted it, she chuckled and nodded. In theory, it was possible.

~***~

Terex laughed at Zahra’s little declaration, “Well, at least that explains where you’ve been,” Terex himself had only been out for a couple of months now, not nearly long enough. He took his seat in spite of Zahra’s words, pulling up a chair at least rather than trapping either of them on a side of the booth.

Poe just glared, “What do you want, Terex?”

“Just to catch up with an old friend,” he said, “Last I’d known, Zar, you were just doing old journalistic work without the Order’s say-so. How’d that end up with the infamous Poe Dameron, eh?”

BB-8 purposefully rolled into Terex’s leg on his way under the table, and beeped a very sarcastic apology.

“Can we get some food first, maybe? Jeeze, people are slow today – HEY!” Poe shouted across the room, to catch the attention of a server, as if that would possibly help with Terex.

Darth Vesta was right. There was something about herself and Kylo that hadn’t felt right to Eight-Seven, but he didn’t confirm it right then. He just continued his look of confusion.

But then she offered her help. Would that even be allowed, if he did have the Force? Maybe she was wrong. Maybe she was lying. Maybe someone was testing him.

Slips was easy enough to accept this as he wondered if he, too, could develop it one day.

“I think I will have to deny your offer, Darth Vesta. My time is committed to the First Order,” as if that was the reason he denied the help. But really, he was still unsure. Of Darth Vesta, and of himself.

~~~

Azra winched at Poe’s little shout, a horrible reminder that she wasn’t feeling perfect just yet. “Poe,” she mumbled, rubbing her head. The slightest bit of hangover still lingered behind. Or maybe she just had a developing migraine from the man who refused to leave them alone.

“I’m a journalist, I talk to people. Poe Dameron is a people,” she explained, not bothering to go into further details than that. Terex didn’t deserve any more information. “Happy?”

The shout did catch the attention of a server, who came over to their table after finishing up the orders on another one. “Good morning! How may I help you?”

“Black caf and a stack of hotcakes, please,” she answered with no hesitation. Azra already knew what she wanted, damn it, and had hoped to enjoy it without certain company present.

Darth Vesta nodded. That was the denial she expected, and she would let Eight-Seven come to her on his own terms, the way she’d brought Kylo in. She wasn’t sure if it would be quicker with him, but she thought not. He wasn’t as…well…desperate as Kylo Ren.

“What? You’re going to miss out on learning how to use the Force?” Slip asked, astonished.

Nines frowned, “This seems like something you should learn for the Order. Maybe if we ask Phasma….”

Myka waved her hand dismissively, “Oh, there’s no need to mention it to her, and it's okay. The offer is open,” she said, “although I want to know more about her,” she folded her arms on the table, “She’s interesting. And I imagine she’s quite pretty underneath the helmet.”

Slip almost choked on his food at that, and Nines grudgingly hit his back. Slip was not a loving nickname. He would probably die on the first mission.

“No one sees Phasma without her helmet.” Nines stated.

~***~

Dameron was ‘a people’, though not exactly good people for anyone related to the Order to be talking to, and Terex suspected it was a lot more than that by her wince. “Talking to ‘a people’ with a hangover. And his ship left behind here?” Terex said, “Come now, Zar, I was the Order’s best agent.”

“Yup, before you up and left,” Poe said, and then added his order to the server, “Let’s get some biscuits slathered in whatever gravy and meat you have, that sounds good right now. And caf.”

“Caf, too – and you know, hotcakes doesn’t sound too bad. He’s paying,” Terex gestured to Poe.

“I am not, he’s not our friend,” Poe said immediately, adding, “you can tell Maz, he’s paying for himself.”

“Fine, fine,” Terex waved it off, and the server, albeit now a bit nervous, nodded, making some additional marks on their datapad, before heading off with the order, first to fetch the caf.

“Look, what do you really want, Terex? You saw my ship, you clearly waited for me – what is it?” Poe demanded, lowering his voice so it wouldn’t carry, now that he remembered Azra’s state.

“I just wanted to know how you were, Poe.” Terex teased.

Poe groaned and leaned back in his chair, sulking that Terex wasn’t getting to the point. If he had a point.

Eight-seven was still in denial, and still unsure of ever bringing this up ever again with anyone, much less Captain Phasma, but the encouragement from his friends, is it something he should bring up?

Or would he only endure ridicule and punishment for being so easy to trust this strange woman that Kylo Ren brought aboard? Somehow, he didn’t think Phasma would like it too much.

At least the woman thought it wouldn’t be necessary to tell Phasma, either. If they have indeed already met, then she probably received a similar feeling.

Eight-seven let out a slight chuckle at Darth Vesta’s question, and Slip’s subsequent unexpected reaction. “Yeah, no one sees Phasma without her helmet. There are some rumors that she kills anyone who manages to actually see her face.”

Of course those were nothing but rumors. Maybe. Eight-seven had his doubts.

~~~

Azra just sent a glare in Terex’s direction, not bothering to respond to his comment of assuming what was truly going on between them two.

Oh, now she wished she ordered what Poe did. That sounded far tastier and better for a hangover. Oh well.

“Maybe you should be the one paying for us,” she muttered after the poor server left. They would need to leave a nice tip. She doubted Terex would leave one at all.

“Okay, well, you learned how he’s doing, and now you can go and leave us be.” She knew it wouldn’t be that easy though. He did order food, which meant he was at least bothering them through the meal.

He really should be the one paying for their food.

“Really?” Myka was all the more intrigued by this. Apparently that meant Phasma didn’t eat with her crew, or host many private meetings of a personal nature – not just intimate, but simply ways to make someone think they held her trust. She wore that close. “Interesting,” it did add to Phasma’s interest-level.

She knew she shouldn’t be so immediately obsessed, but she was. Phasma was more an enigma than Kylo Ren, and more interesting than every other officer in the Order, who all dressed the same, and wore ranks like jewelry.

She wasn’t a white Stormtrooper, but stood out.

“So what sort of bribery would it take to try and get a picture of her face, hm?” Myka teased the thought.

~***~

“Poe didn’t tell me how he was,” Terex pointed out, and Poe rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, like it’s going to be that easy,” he said, not intending to tell Terex how he was doing at all, knowing that wouldn’t satisfy Terex in the least. Eventually, Terex would get to the point if he had a point besides annoying Poe.

Or Azra.

“So, Zahra, what have you learned on all your little misadventures exploring the galaxy and writing pithy little stories?” Terex asked, keeping that sardonic grin on his lips, “what are you learning here with ‘a people’ Dameron?”

Poe wouldn’t speak; he’d just take his caf as the waiter returned with it and try not to chug it and speed along his ability to leave the area.

Eight-seven wondered if he should be scared for either Darth Vesta or for Phasma. It was clear this woman was greatly intrigued by the enigma that was Phasma, and he didn’t know who would come out on top. Who would get what they wanted.

But he was also just curious to see what would happen between this...interest.

Eight-seven shook his head with a light scoff. “Your guess is as good as ours. I don’t think there’s anything that will get her to remove that helmet.” If there was, he really wanted to know.

Just out of sheer curiosity more than anything else. What would actually make Phasma crack. “I don’t even know if there’s anything she does like.”

~~~

Azra scoffed and shook her head at Terex. The server came back with their cafs, and she was more than happy to have another cup in her hands. Why was he so fascinated with whatever she had been up to?

He was supposedly one of the best agents of the First Order, even if he was no longer a part of the Order. Shouldn’t he know already? Are you distracting us from something?

Or maybe Terex really was just the galaxy’s most annoying pest.

“You read, don’t you Terex?” she said calmly. “You can quite easily read up on what I’ve learned,” even if everything was under her pseudonym, it seemed that he still knew what she had been up to. “And I’m sure whatever I’m learning with Poe, you already know.”

Azra wouldn’t satisfy him with an exact answer. She didn’t want to play into his questions.

Phasma seemed to be an enigma even to her own soldiers. This was a mild surprise, but not a major one. Phasma wanted to be the poster-girl of the Stormtroopers, so she had to only be known as one. A competent soldier with no wants outside of the Order and its progression. An icon for other stormtroopers to yearn to be, with her own armor.

No, there had to be more than that. No one was ever that selfless.

‘Let the games begin.’

“You three are poor soldiers,” Myka chided, “not to know what your own captain wants. How are you ever going to advance without proper bribery?” Myka teased.

“There’s no bribery in the Order, ma’am.”

“Shows what you know,” she gave Nines a wink as she got up, “but thank you for humoring me for a bit – it’s nice to see how the rank and file are, and what they believe of the people they serve. I’m sure I’ll see you all around.”

~***~

Poe knew there was rarely any winning with Terex in dialogue. It was one of the reasons he much preferred his fists, but he couldn’t do that in Maz’s Castle. Terex had effectively trapped him in an area where violence wasn’t allowed, and where Poe would actually respect that rule.

And so of course, Terex laughed off Azra’s comment about reading, “You’re right, I should have just asked if Poe knew what you were doing,” he chuckled.

Poe took the bait, in spite of himself, by making a comment, “Better than you.”

“You’ve read her article on how General Leia Organa is planning a coup of the New Republic with the Resistance, as confirmed by Senator and former friend of Organa, Apolin?” Poe nearly coughed out his caf as Terex calmly dictated that.

He did slam his caf on the table, though, and he looked at Azra, “Is this true?!”

There was some slight panic before Darth Vesta mentioned bribery. Oh, she was only teasing them in how they knew nothing of Phasma.

Maybe that was why she is an enigma. So no one could bribe or blackmail her.

Blackmail Phasma. Now that was an amusing thought. Who would have the guts to do so? Either bribery or blackmail would lead to immediate expulsion from the First Order.

Eight-seven didn’t know what to think of the mysterious woman as she walked away. Of how she claimed him to be Force sensitive. “Do you think she was telling the truth about me?” he had to ask his fellow troopers and friends.

She was only messing with them, right?

~~~

Azra could feel her jaw clench when Terex said he should have asked if Poe knew what she was doing. What did he mean by that?

Oh, that article.

She flinched with Poe’s unexpected reaction. He knew her past, he knew the biases were still there, especially in her earlier pieces, so the manner in how he reacted surprised her, but she maintained a cool facade.

“Naturally Terex chose to take it out of context.” Neither confirming nor denying. “It was a speculation and opinion piece I did several months ago where one of the questions I brought up rhetorically did mention something in that nature. Not that many politicians in the New Republic that I talked to had great opinions of her.” She shrugged.

She won’t apologize for anything she wrote, and Poe was trying to show her the Resistance, to help her see what the truth really was.

Or maybe I made a mistake in believing in Poe.

Myka wasn’t part of the First Order – yet – for better or worse. Likely, worse, in the opinions of many except those few Officers who more openly enjoyed how she dressed. She wouldn’t try to get into the Bridge again, but she would find her way through breakrooms and lounges, and more of the gyms and cafeterias, moving between groups of Officers and Stormtroopers alike.

She never found General Hux in any of them, but she found people who knew Hux, and spoke about him.

She was quick to learn that neither Hux nor Kylo were well-liked, and Snoke was a relative enigma. When asked about Phasma, though, it was much the same. Most respected her, but few knew anything about her. No one knew where she came from, no one knew how she got to where she was.

She seemed to become ‘known’ when she was Brendol Hux’s guard, as if she just manifested into that position.

Frustrating. Terribly frustrating. And no one had seen her eat, seen her without her helmet, or knew of any hobbies she had outside of the Order.

“What is she, a damn droid?” Myka couldn’t help the comment as she left behind one of the breakrooms, irritated that Phasma did do such a good job at hiding herself.

Nope.

She wasn’t going to have this. If she could bend Kylo, she could bend Phasma.

At least she knew the haunts Phasma usually rotated around, now.

~***~

Slips shrugged.

Nines gave the expected response, perhaps, “Of course she’s lying. We haven’t seen you use the Force.”

“Yeah, but,” Slips spoke up, “why would she lie?”

“Who knows? Sith,” he shrugged, “there’s a reason we aren’t following the Sith, why Ren and Snoke aren’t Sith.” It was in their teachings, of course. The Sith were better than the Jedi, even if their teachings were based on many Jedi protocols, but still.

And Slips realized that, “Wait! Isn’t our teaching Jedi-based? Maybe we can use that to find a way to prove that Eight-Seven can or can’t use the Force?”

“How? We don’t exactly have the Jedi guide,” Nines scoffed.

“No but—maybe Eight-Seven can still test it in training. Try the mind trick?”

Nines sighed, “If nothing else, it might surprise the PH Corps when we undergo our exercises later….” Because it would be so far out of left-field.

~***~

Poe knew his reaction was an overreaction, but he could hardly hold that in. Leia was dear to him, and any slight against her always felt personal. After all she’d been through, she didn’t need even more crap to wade through. Still, he did feel that pang of guilt when he saw how Azra flinched.

He relaxed his posture a bit, but his fist remained closed on the table.

Azra tried to tell him what it really was, and though Poe kept his tone even, there was still hot anger in his words, “A rhetorical question, and you publish answers, huh?” That didn’t sound right, “And you quote a senator directly – a liar who has never been Leia’s friend, and a centrist with deep ties to the Empire?”

Terex didn’t have to say anything, so he didn’t.

“Did this article only include centrist senator opinions, or did you talk to any populists?”

“Now, now, Dameron,” Terex chided, amused, “she probably doesn’t know what those are, or how to find Leia’s actual friends.” A jab at Azra’s lack of knowledge of things in the real world, outside of the Order.

A reminder, in a way, to Poe, though it didn’t quite sink in just yet.

Rumors of the mystery woman started to swirl the day after Phasma had met her. Apparently, she had decided to make herself known to everyone, asking them questions and attempting to figure out who everyone was, what they did, and learn more about certain senior level officers.

It was no surprise to Phasma that she had been asked about by this woman. Myka seemed particularly intrigued by what she didn’t know, and Phasma was indeed known by very little.

Those who once knew her true self were all disposed of.

Given her recent string of questions relating to the whereabouts of Phasma, that an officer was kind enough to warn her of, she would not be surprised for Myka to show up at her office, where she was currently, browsing through the files of various Stormtroopers regarding their training progress.

~~~

Maybe Nines was right. There was a reason they weren’t following the Sith, a reason Kylo or Snoke weren’t Sith, right? Of course, they weren’t Jedi either, even if their teaching was heavily Jedi-based.

Which, honestly, just made Eight-seven more confused.

He just scoffed at their suggestions. “I would rather not get assigned to garbage duty again.” To test that mind trick on one of their superiors seemed asinine. “Maybe I should try it on one of you two,” he joked.

He really wouldn’t. Maybe. Unless they agreed to it. And even then, not in the cafeteria, where there were many witnesses. Maybe somewhere more private, just in case.

Eight-seven still felt like he had to hide this for now, until they knew.

~~~

Azra hated Poe’s accusing tone, and after how fucking vulnerable she allowed herself to be in front of him, and how she still felt raw from that experience. He should know that I’m still trying here! And, as a result, she still made mistakes.

Especially early on in her career, which technically was still in its infancy.

And Terex’s condescension did not help at all. It only made her feel all the more foolish, for everything. She was still so childishly naive when it came to, well, anything outside the First order, though the past few months she spent traveling and talking to people had helped a lot.

There was still much to learn.

But as her heart sped up and as she fought down her anger, directed at which one she did not know, Azra only had the desire to get out of there. “I don’t need this,” she said as she moved to get up from the booth. And as she slid out, she would ‘accidentally’ knock her mug still full of caf over to spill onto Terex’s lap.

The bastard deserved it.

Phasma wasn’t immediately accessible, not found in any of the open spaces, so Myka did go towards her office. It seemed too early for Phasma to retire to sleep, after all. Thankfully, she felt her presence in the Force as she got nearer.

She’d eventually commit it to memory, so she could follow Phasma anywhere. Without the Force, she didn’t exactly announce herself as others did, like Kylo or…well, she didn’t get his name, but that was irrelevant. She knew how to find him. Now she knew how he looked, too, by luck of finding him in a cafeteria.

She’d have no such luck with Phasma, who had her helmet on as she entered.

Myka didn’t scowl, though, just took a seat in the empty chair across from Phasma. “I’ve gone through most of this ship and people know more about the neurotic red-head and Commander Ren than they know about you, and you’re much lower ranking. In theory.”

She had also figured out now that Phasma was more or less, just a little below Kylo Ren and Neurotic Red-Head. “You are very interesting.”

~***~

Nines rolled his eyes a bit at what Eight-Seven didn’t want. Wasn’t he like assigned to garbage duty almost every month? “You should be used to that by now,” Nines said, “besides, if you won us the fight by confusing the PH Corps, might mean you don’t get it.” Phasma did like innovation, sometimes.

If it won.

Then again, he’d noticed that some of those soldiers seemed to end up quickly phasing out of the Order. Given high commands too soon, and dying in the field.

Well, he supposed that was just how things were. Even Phasma made mistakes with promotions.

“Either way, I’m not volunteering.”

“I am,” Slips offered, “I mean – if it works, it’d be useful, right? You could just…wave your hand and make armies stand down, right?” Which, why the hell didn’t Kylo do that?

That was how the Force worked, right?

~***~

Poe grit his teeth and set his jaw as Azra got up to leave. Sure, he still felt guilt, but her walking away like that? He had to fight that urge to yell at her back for being a coward. He knew that wouldn’t help, and he still knew her wounds were raw.

But damnit! The least she could do was answer the questions – admit the error, tell how she even got to that error.

Terex couldn’t be that right, could he?

At least there was some satisfaction in Terex’s lap getting burned, and the way he jolted, as BB-8 darted right out from under the table to follow after Azra. Poe considered it, but decided it was probably better if he hung back and cooled off.

Not to mention, if he got up, Terex would probably follow. “Happy now?” ‘Jackass.’

“Oh, a little,” he said, picking the broken shards of the cup up and dropping them on the tiny saucer. “but now that she’s gone I can actually talk.”

Phasma felt an eye twitch at the unannounced arrival, and before she looked up, she could already guess who came through the doors. Only one person would dare to do such a thing.

Even Kylo Ren knocked.

It was always good practice to keep her helmet on in her own office, and in that moment, she was glad about that one thing. Her icy blue eyes followed Myka as she just...sat down in a chair across from Phasma, without permission.

There would be no point in trying to command her to get out. Who would be considered her superior, if anyone? Kylo Ren?

“Because they so chose to allow others to know of their lives. I, however, do not.” And never did she have the intention of allowing someone to know her well again. “Is there a point to your visit?”

~~~

Eight-seven chuckled and shook his head. “I don’t know, but that doesn’t seem right.” He didn’t know though. Was that how the Force...hand waving command worked? But wait, wouldn’t that mean the Clone Wars would have gone very differently?

He wanted to research more of this, but he wouldn’t be able to find any reading material of the sort on the ship. But Darth Vesta offered…

Suddenly, Eight-seven was unsure about everything. What should he do? Maybe the Force could tell me?

Again, if that was how it worked.

“Let’s start by seeing this evening if I can even do it in the first place,” Eight-seven said with a chuckle to Slips. “And we’ll go from there.”

~~~

Azra wanted to scream. She wanted to punch a damn wall. She wanted to yell at Terex for bringing up those flaws. She wanted to yell at Poe for not understanding her position better, after the way she fucking cried in his arms like some fool.

She needed some air and to try and convince herself to not just fly away on her ship. She had her keys back. Poe wouldn’t be stranded since he had his X-Wing back. It would be so easy to just...leave.

The whirling beeps of BB-8 sounded behind her as she exited the castle, pulling her from her fleeing thoughts. “Why are you following me, Beebee? I figured you would’ve stayed behind to make sure Poe or Terex don’t kill one another.”

It answered back that it wanted to make sure Azra was okay, and that the other two couldn’t kill each other in Maz’s Castle. They’ll be okay. Somewhat.

She chuckled as she sat on a large rock outside. Taking deep breaths, the fresh air calmed her down and allowed some of the building anxiety to simmer away. “I’ll be okay, probably.”

BB-8 rolled forward to lightly nudge her knee, and Azra smiled at the little droid and patted its head. “You’re a good little droid.”

That much was obvious. Phasma allowed little to be known about her. Nothing, really – she was more symbol than reality in the Order, in Myka’s opinion. And she imagined much of the ‘symbol’ aspect was false.

Myka let a smile curl over her lips as she leaned forward, folding her arms over the top of the desk and looking up at Phasma, “I thought my lead-in was obvious enough. I want to know you,” Myka said, “Now, I could do this the easy way,” she lifted one hand and wiggled her fingers, “Pull off your helmet, read your mind, all that boring stuff.”

Apparently the easy way was boring.

Consent was more fun.

Myka let her hand fall back, “But I’d rather play the game with you and I’m sure after what I can only imagine has been years, you’re a bit lonely with having no one that close to you as a friend or confidante,” Myka said.

She didn’t expect Phasma to play along that easily, but she might see a situation that she could exploit, the way Kylo thought he saw one, with a willing teacher of the Sith who thought he ought to kill Snoke.

“So, Phasma – easy, or hard, way?”

~***~

Poe sighed. He knew there was a reason, but that didn’t mean he liked it, and he certainly didn’t like how Terex went about it. He could have easily just asked to have Poe aside, but no, of course he couldn’t do that. “What is it?”

“First Order has a Sith.”

“Yeah, his name’s Snoke, why are you—”

Terex laughed, “Snoke ain’t no Sith,” just like Kylo was no Sith, just some freak in a dark suit. “It’s new information, but I figured your group ought to know.”

Now Poe was confused. “Why? Last I knew, you didn’t like us.”

“I don’t. But I don’t like them more.” He pushed up from the table. The Sith. He’d never known Sheev was one, and really, only knew Vader was powerful. He’d learned; he’d never been a fan of Snoke or Ren, but thought the Order would do better. Alas, he was deceived on that note, too. They weren’t willing to do what was necessary, “and I didn’t need her getting that kind of info and doing something with it to protect the Order.”

Not to mention, he didn’t want Poe to end up killed by a Sith.

That was still his job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back