• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Cora was willing enough to hold onto the key, which was fine by Eli. He didn’t think he’d lose it, but it would also be a slight nuisance. He gave a nod to her question about returning here, and he’d head off as well to get changed into his swim trunks. They fit well enough, thankfully, and he didn’t feel too self-conscious in them.

Not like he would have with the speedo, anyways.

Still, he was somewhat self-conscious. He wanted Cora to like how he looked, after all. ‘She’s probably feeling the same way.’ The pros and cons of these kinds of situations. Nonetheless, Eli couldn’t imagine how he wouldn’t like her appearance, and he tried to focus more on that.

He was somewhat surprise that Cora beat him back to the locker, though it was a welcome sight. He knew his cheeks darkened at the sight of her in just that two-piece. That was definitely a lot more of her than he’d ever seen before. “You look great, Cora,” he said, “the color really suits you,” which wasn’t a lie, the dark purple really did look good on her, though he was more a fan of everything else that wasn’t covered by it.

He’d at least keep that to himself as he reached in to slide his own clothing into the locker. There was enough room, thankfully.

He took another once over as he drew away from the locker, “Did you have any thoughts about what you wanted to try out first?”

~***~

Rem was pleased to see another Jedi, and Ae’lia gave a relieved smile to Hala…even if she felt some exasperation with her show of the lightsabers and the cloak drop.

“Well, that explains why you were pushed through so quick by Eir—Ae’lia? And Adlai,” Amita chuckled, but sighed, “but if that’s true, we have an issue. We should probably reconsider any jobs for a while.”

“Welcome to the team, Hala!” Rem said, “Given we just helped rescue some Jedi, and take down two Inquisitors, we deserve a break.”

Shay looked entirely unamused, “Do you think the Empire sleeps?” Her nose was wrinkled in disgust, before she looked to Hala, as Ae’lia unlit her blades and put them back into hiding, “I had my suspicions as well with how keen Ae’lia and Adlai were to get you involved. It seems to be confirmed now,” she sighed, “there’s been no talk of a second Jedi,” she added, “the only name they have is Ae’lia’s. For the time being, it seems you’re safe, Hala.”

Not that she was truly safe, but she wasn’t being sought out the way Ae’lia was. “Regardless, there does remain work to be done, and I have much more information about what the Grand Admiral is up to.”

“Do we even want to know how?” Amita arched a brow.

“Commander Vanto’s datapad.”

Cora was more than satisfied at the darkening blush on Eli’s cheeks as he came back and saw her in her bathing suit. Sure, she was a little nervous about how she would be perceived, but he’s made it clear he was attracted to her, and she really couldn’t see how her in a bathing suit would’ve gone south.

She worked hard for her body, damn it!

And Eli clearly worked for his as well, as Cora was certain there was a light blush tinting her cheeks at the sight of Eli in swim trunks and nothing else. “Thank you,” she said with a smile. “That color suits you well also.” And it really did, she wasn’t just saying that.

Dark colors did suit his skin tone rather well.

“How about something more thrilling to start out, and then we can work our way to the lazy river?” she suggested. “Maybe one of those tall slides that shoot straight down.” It would certainly be exciting to be on a water slide that just shot them down really, really fast into a pool at the bottom of the slide.

~~~

Skye was pleasantly surprised by the reactions of yet another Jedi in their midst, but they all did have a point - there was only so many reasons as to why Adlai and Eira would vouch for her so early and so soon after meeting her.

There was a reason they trusted her and believed her to be instrumental to joining their group.

She put up her lightsaber and sat back down beside Adlai. “With Ae’lia in danger, I consider myself in danger as well,” she mused, not enjoying the fact that her friend was at risk of being exposed and captured. And with two Inquisitors looking for her?

Hala wanted to put herself in front of Ae’lia, to shield her from the inquisition, but she knew her friend was just as capable to protect herself.

“Wasn’t that the one at the art gallery?” Skye mused. “Anyways, how did you manage to get your hands on Commander Vanto’s datapad?”

“I’ve learned to never question how she gets anything,” Lin chimed in.

Eli was also quite gratified to see the blush tint Cora’s face. He didn’t need to worry too much, then. He’d make a mental note about the color, of course. He knew it was one that looked better on him, like dark greens, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t make a point to wear those kinds of colors more around Cora.

He did chuckle a bit at her suggestion. “I suppose it makes more sense to do the thrilling things first before the lazy river,” he’d need something to calm down after all of those, so that was probably for the best. It was harder to leave the lazy river once there, after all.

“Okay, you can pick the first one, and I’ll go along with it, no matter what,” Eli knew he would regret those words. He was prepared to regret them, with the hope that whatever the outcome at the slide, he’d get to see Cora drenched, and would probably get to feign needing her help balancing once he got out of the pool to wrap his arms around her.

Whatever worked, really.

~***~

“Commander Vanto took a vacation and left his datapad in a locker,” Shay said with a shrug, as if it were no big deal that she both knew he took a vacation, and that she’d found where he left his datapad, in such short time, “I knew it would be erased as soon as he figured it out, so I made a copy of it.”

“But didn’t return it?” Amita sighed.

“I like costing them credits,” Shay shrugged, “I know, it means they know someone out there may know what’s on this datapad, which means using the information is dangerous, however,” she took a breath, “there is something…quite interesting in here.”

Maege immediately queried what.

“They were pursuing a criminal, Proserpina. I know of her, but more importantly, they were pursuing her about the art gallery incident.”

“I’m not following why this is important,” Rem noted.

“Commander Vanto thinks it is being actively covered-up by other Imperials, and that the Grand Moff is aiding in that endeavor.”

Adlai’s jaw dropped, “Holy….” He could understand, too well, what that could mean for the Grand Moff’s reputation. Something like that would be hard to brush under a rug, even if he wasn’t the one directly behind it, covering it up was significant. That was Queen Breha and Princess Leia at stake – supposedly just for a kidnapping, a ransom, but if it was a cover-up…Adlai didn’t truly think it stopped there.

“You see? And lucky for all of you, I know some of Proserpina’s contacts.”

Good, they were in agreement with the order of what they should ride, and better yet, she had first dibs on what they would ride next. Eli may come to regret that decision, depending on how much adrenaline he wanted to experience after the previous rides.

Cora would have fun with this.

And so with a smile, she led him from the locker rooms to where the giant slides were, stopping at the base of one of the taller ones that shot straight down into a pool. “Let’s do this one first,” she grinned, before making her way to the top of the slide.

All thoughts of their previous encounter with her brother was now fully gone from her mind, with everything focused on seeing Eli enjoy himself in the water park, and drenched from the slides and pools.

~~~

Skye didn’t like the idea of someone in the Empire, someone close to the Grand Admiral, knowing that someone else out on Coruscant potentially knew about the contents of the datapad. It seemed way too easy to set up a trap with something like that.

Being actively covered-up by other Imperials...Grand Moff is aiding in that endeavour.

Skye raised her eyebrows, and even Lin looked positively intrigued by the information presented to them. If that information got out...she could only imagine what that would do to the Grand Moff.

Everything or nothing, depending on what managed to get out.

“And what exactly are your plans for this information? Talk to these contacts of Proserpina and get the truth out there?” It didn’t seem flashy or dangerous enough, but they did just dealt with some Inquisitors. Maybe an easier mission was what they needed for now.

Eli was going to regret this.

He knew it before, but it was solidified the moment Cora chose the first slide. He had to tilt his head back to see the top of it, and to recognize it was a straight fall, no curves, just a long drop into the water. He didn’t whimper, but he was fairly certain he paled as he imagined how hard that impact was going to be. It was going to hurt.

Why did people enjoy this?

Well, he wouldn’t ask that now – he’d ask after, when Cora had experienced it, and he saw for himself what it was like. “O…kay.” He followed along after her to the line that was almost too short for his liking, given he wanted some waiting time. He noted a couple of kids ahead of them gleefully go down it, the man at the top smirking just a bit.

Clearly, it wasn’t their first time that day to go down the slide.

He noted the arrival of the new folks with a nod. “Ever been on this slide before?” If not, he’d have to run through the rules real quick before sending them on their way.

~***~

“That would be the start,” Shay agreed, “however, knowing Tarkin, it will not be that easy. No doubt, he did not go to them himself, but used other mediums, in a long trail of cover-ups even within the underground. He likely never left his own office to do it, either.”

“But there has to be proof somewhere, a payment that left his hands.”

Shay smiled, lips quirked, “From him, or his shell companies, yes,” she agreed, “it’s just a matter of finding who received the payment, and from where it came from, before we can trace it back to Tarkin.”

“This sounds like quite the process,” Ae’lia noted.

“Yes…and unfortunately one that will go quicker with Jedi help.” Ae’lia sighed. “Rem will manage the first part.” Rem looked up, startled, “You can reach Prosperina’s contacts, and I believe they will talk easily enough without additional assistance,” as in, without mind tricks or anything of that nature. “From there, we’ll see.”

“Ten credits says hutts are involved,” Nikhil said.

“I can’t do anything with hutts,” Ae’lia noted. “They’re…kind of immune to mind tricks.”

“Are they immune to lightsabers and threats?” Shay’s tone was dull.

“…no.” Though Ae’lia didn’t want to do that. “How do you expect me to do this? They’d recognize me.”

“The Inquisitor outfit remains, does it not? The majority in the Empire won’t realize it’s designed off a dead Inquisitor’s attire, and so long as no one gets the mask off, no one will know it’s you.” It would get her into places that she wouldn’t otherwise get into. “I’ll have to think of something else for you, Hala – purge troopers don’t have nearly enough clearance.”

“About that….” Adlai interrupted, “not permanently, but for the start of all this, myself and Skye,” he sounded a bit hesitant on the name, uncertain if she preferred Hala, or Skye, but he knew her as Skye. “will be on Serenno. I’ve been overdue for a vacation.”

Great timing,” Nikhil’s tone was sarcastic as Amita sighed.

Although she didn’t see his face due to leading him towards the slide, Cora gently squeezed Eli’s hand in encouragement. It was okay to feel some slight trepidation, she wanted to assure him, but somehow, she felt that vocally expressing that would make the situation worse. So she remained silent, but with a smile on her face.

They approached the short line, which moved slower than Cora would have liked, but she imagined faster than what Eli wanted.

Poor guy, she would have to make it up to him somehow.

The attendee turned to them, and upon being asked if they’ve been on the slide before, Cora shook her head for Eli. She had, she knew that he hadn’t.

“Okay, one at a time, and when you get on the slide, lean back with your arms crossed over your chest.” He went through the quick safety rules, and once he was done, Cora decided to go first for them.

“See you on the other side,” she quipped to Eli with a wink, before she did exactly as the attendee said, and slid down the slide at an enjoyable speed. A bubble of laughter escaped as air and water rushed past her before she landed with a splash in the pool at the bottom.

~~~

There it was. One reason why Skye didn’t like the idea of others knowing who she or Ae’lia were. Now that they knew the two were Jedi, they would try riskier missions. More dangerous missions.

Missions that could potentially lead to their outing.

They would just need to be careful, or even not be afraid to say no if necessary.

But then Adlai brought up a slight issue with the upcoming mission and Skye’s involvement in it - she won’t be able to. Oh yeah. Visiting Serenno. It had slipped her mind after the last day and the events of that morning.

“But after that,” she continued, ignoring Niklil’s sarcasm, “we can figure out how I can help out. It’s not unheard of for an Inquisitor to keep one purge trooper around.” She shrugged. “Or I can stick to the shadows. I’m very good at being unseen.”

Her years of being undetected were proof of that. Some of her previous, unscrupulous jobs were also proof of that. Jobs that they knew nothing about.

The small squeeze was encouraging, though Eli wouldn’t say anything, or offer any suggestion that he needed the encouragement. He would have gone through it without that, of course, but it was still nice. The explanation that the man gave wasn’t encouraging, though Eli supposed if children could do it, and Cora, without dying, then he’d be fine.

Cora stepped up first, and Eli returned her smile and nodded. “Yeah,” he agreed, and watched her get into the slide and zip down. The man waited until Cora could be seen in the pool below, before nodding to Eli and letting him step to the slide, sit down, and then slide his way down onto it before water and gravity did the rest of the work and plunged him downwards.

The slide was rapid, and Eli was pretty sure he felt his stomach flip in the descent. Thankfully, he didn’t feel too terribly sick, and almost as soon as he felt that, his body collided with the water, diving down several feet into it from the momentum.

He managed to orient himself quickly enough and get to the surface, laughing a bit when he got that first breath of air.

The exhilaration of it hit him more then, after he’d survived it, and he swam towards the ladder to get out of the pool so they could make room for other people, “Okay – that wasn’t too bad,” he said to Cora as he climbed out of the pool, grinning. “They really don’t have things like this out in Wild Space.”

~***~

“It is not,” Shay agreed, though did not note she’d prefer to keep them separated for most missions. Having them together made the odds of them being caught at the same time increase exponentially. “However, I imagine we can brainstorm other ideas while you are away with Adlai, as well.”

Skye’s face would soon be known, so something like an officer wasn’t going to work too well, unless she was more inclined to wigs and make-up. She was only a bodyguard, and people hadn’t seen her in many guises the way they had Eira. It might work.

Something to consider, as they figured out what was needed.

“I suppose we may as well begin,” Rem said, “Do you know where I need to go?”

Shay nodded, “I’ve made the arrangements already, we’ll talk about it when the others are gone,” to avoid too many people knowing too much, “Nikhil, I also have a job for you.” Nikhil nodded, “For now…I suppose that is all I have. As we gather more information from Proserpina’s contacts, I’ll reach out individually to avoid spreading the information to too many.”

Ae’lia would be informed, but spreading it too much further would be a risk.

Cora swam to the outer edge of the pool and climbed up the ladder. Patiently she waited for Eli to make his descent, and once she saw him go down the slide, a wide grin crossed her face. He certainly didn’t look like he didn’t enjoy the ride as he came up out of the water for air. She saw the laugh, and the grin remained on her face as he came over to the ladder she stood next to.

“And now you can say you’ve finally gone on one of these slides.” They were by far some of her favorites, but Cora also enjoyed the long, winding closed tubes that required a raft to go down, often with a partner. She was half tempted to recommend one next, but also she wanted to give Eli a chance to pick or catch his breath if needed.

“You pick next,” Cora said, stepping back to give Eli some room to get out of the pool. “Give you a chance to pick something more tame if needed,” she chuckled good-heartedly. She wouldn’t mind something more on the tame side either, but of course, Cora wasn’t going to say that.

~~~

Skye was ready to do whatever was necessary, within reason, to help out their cause. Put on a disguise, use the Force, brandish her lightsaber (with a helmet on for disguise), whatever it took.

But for now...she and Adlai had a trip to take, while everyone else continued on to what they needed to do. “Well that went better than expected,” she mumbled to Adlai. And it had. No big fuss was made, which was a relief. Just acceptance and moving on to the next task.

Now that the meeting was winding down, Lin stood up and walked over to Ae’lia with a question that had been burning on his mind. “So, what name do you want me to call you, now that the secret is out?” he asked, rubbing one hand on the back of his head.

And really, how should he address both her and Skye? Ae’lia and Hala? Or their current aliases? He was fine with whatever, but he always wanted to see which one was preferred.

“Yes,” Eli agreed, “one thing off my long to-do list,” he supposed it hadn’t actually been expressly on it, but he’d certainly wanted to see more amusement parks and what they had to offer, since he knew he wasn’t getting the best of things back home, or where he’d traveled before. It wasn’t as bad, though looking back up at the slide, he still felt that fear of going down it again.

Lessened, but nonetheless, present.

He rolled his eyes a bit at Cora’s note on picking next, in case he needed something more tame. Admittedly, the drops didn’t quite appeal to him nearly as much. He was more inclined towards the ones that twisted around, with some closed in sections, and some not. He gestured towards one not too far, “How about that one?”

It looked like it required a raft, which Eli wasn’t opposed to. He’d seen a few being carted around that could fit two people, so that would also make it more of a thing they did ‘together’, which he was all in favor of. “I think that should be tame enough for me,” he was able to at least poke some fun at himself.

~***~

Adlai gave a smile and a small shrug at Skye’s note. He had to admit, it did go better than he expected, as well. He wasn’t complaining, “To be fair, we don’t know how long recon is going to take,” it could be that Shay really didn’t anticipate needing them for a bit. Rem being a changeling tended to help things out immensely. “This isn’t the first time we’ve had to make drastic shifts due to schedules, either – there’s two celebrities and one politician here. Not to mention,” a small gesture, “She’s a lawyer, and Nikhil’s a bounty hunter, so….”

Schedules were complicated.

Perhaps the only ones who weren’t so confined were Maege, Rem, and Shay – and Shay’s presence was more of one on the HoloNet than in reality. Maege had to stay out of sight, as a wookiee – but she still had her uses.

Ae’lia rose to her feet, intending to stay a little longer to get more information about what was coming up, and how Shay knew Proserpina – and her contacts. It was information that she needed, if no one else. They still had a peculiar arrangement in the Shah-tezh. Of course, clearing out never happened all at once.

And she smiled to greet Lin, though his question caught her off guard. She blinked, and sighed, “You shouldn’t make a habit of using Ae’lia.” It was her preferred, the statement hinted at that, but it was dangerous. “If you so much as slip…Thrawn’s heard that name,” a small reminder.

It wouldn’t take much to point him in that direction. If he wasn’t already in that direction. There were two Inquisitors on his ship. She also wanted to ask Shay about them. She still had a terrible thought, a terrible hope, that her master could still be alive.

She wasn’t sure if she’d prefer that, if the answer was on Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s ship.

Cora chuckled at Eli’s own poke at himself. It was nice to see that he wasn’t taking anything, especially himself, too seriously that day. She had been on too many dates where the man did take everything too seriously and ruined the entire evening.

But she wouldn’t think about them, just her and Eli.

Looking over at the waterslide Eli mentioned, Cora nodded in agreement. “That one looks fun!” She walked with Eli over to the aforementioned slide. Like before, there were stairs to climb, but at the base of the stairs was a place to grab rafts for the slide.

Two kids ahead of them gleefully grabbed a raft together and bounded up the stairs with energy that made Cora slightly nervous that they would slip and fall. She stepped ahead to grab a raft for them before beginning the ascent up the stairs.

~~~

Skye could only nod as Adlai explained the situation for her. It also helped her realize that she didn’t truly know what everyone there did when they weren’t busy being rebels. Of course she knew Shay, Ae’lia, Lin, and Adlai, but everyone else? She hadn’t actually had the opportunity to talk one on one.

After the Serenno trip, she would try and work on that.

“So things should be able to shift to accommodate the unexpected,” she concluded, gaze flickering across everyone in the room before landing back on Adlai.

The answer Ae’lia, Eira, gave was of no surprise to Lin. While he was confident he wouldn’t have slipped up in public, the possibility was still there if he became too comfortable with referring to Eira by her real name. Or Skye by her real name.

He would do anything to protect their Jedi. And if Thrawn has heard Ae’lia name already….

Well, none of them could risk it.

Lin nodded his head, a rare solemn expression on his face. “Understood.” And with the Inquisitors nearby, they all needed to be extra careful to not draw any unwanted attention on them.

A smile easily crossed his face. “How are you feeling after all this?”

Eli also worried about the kids, and watched them go up, but they didn’t appear to slip, so it all seemed okay. “Oh, let me help!” He realized Cora had gotten the raft on her own, and he quickly stepped behind her to grab onto it as well and help bring it up. There were other benefits to following after her, but he tried not to focus on those too much, lest he lose his own footing and have to explain his own clumsiness.

The lines continued to move quickly, and it didn’t take them long to reach the top where the lifeguard on duty took the raft from them and set it on the slide, holding it so they could get in, “Now, you’ll probably want to sit in the back,” he told Eli, “and you should both keep your hands on the handles.”

Eli nodded. He didn’t know how much that really mattered, but he didn’t want to find out, either. He’d also take the advice of the lifeguard and take a seat in the back first, before Cora would be motioned on, and the lifeguard would send them down through the twist and turns of the slide.

Eli did enjoy this ride more, he knew that even before they reached the bottom. Partially because he got to go along with Cora, and thus see and hear her reactions, but also because he didn’t have an immediate fear for his life. Although, there were moments, as the raft got dangerously close to the edge of the slide sometimes when it was opened to the air.

~***~

“Exactly,” Adlai rose to his feet, “we’re used to it. We’ve had to move meeting places quick, too, and much else. Shay’s prepared,” they all had faith in that, it seemed the one truth. Shay knew what was going on.

She hadn’t even seemed that phased by the drop of information about Skye, or Eira. Perhaps she’d at least suspected Eira, and then the pieces easily fell into place with Skye.

He waved to Amita as she and Nikhil ducked out, the first to leave this time around. “I’ll work on solidifying the plans for Serenno today so we can be out within the week,” he promised. He knew he’d mentioned it soon. Now he understood precisely how soon it needed to be, in order for them to be back to be of use to Shay.

Somewhat.

He didn’t know how he might be of use, but he knew he would.

Tarkin’s network was long; he’d bury some of his leads amidst rival politicians, no doubt, and Adlai would have to dig through those leads. Skye would likely be quite useful with that, too.

There might be a day, when Eira could be Ae’lia again. She wasn’t counting on it, but it was at least an ember of hope she could kindle, to help her push forward, even when everything seemed dark. As it did, with the news of the Inquisitors, even with the shining light of a lead that might help take the Empire down.

Or at least, Grand Moff Tarkin, who was a menace all on his own, without the Force.

Still, she smiled at the question. She should feel relief. She should feel many positive things, but that wasn’t the truth. She was anxious. She was curious. She wasn’t sure precisely what hole she’d just dug for herself in trying to get to know Mitth’raw’nuruodo, nor was she certain how this pursuit of a lead from Vanto’s datapad would play out.

He was smart. He hadn’t figured her out yet, but…he was smart. ‘This is a lead he hasn’t completed.’

“I’m all right,” she said, chuckled, “though I think our schedule needs to pick up before I go stir crazy.” Lin would probably prefer the opposite. Practices had been slower, though they pretty much had their roles down. The music was now getting set to match up with them, and the costumes were being finished up.

And of course – if everything went as Shay hoped, then it meant Eira would be vanishing more from Coruscant to moonlight as an Imperial Inquisitor.

Not ideal.

Cora shot Eli a smile over her shoulder and an expression of gratitude as he helped her with the raft. He didn’t have to, but the fact that he did help instead of ignore or insist on carrying it himself was duly noted in her mind.

Upon arrival at the top, she followed the lifeguard’s advice and got on after Eli, holding onto his shoulder to stabilize herself as she got into position. Within seconds, they both were sent riding down the waterslide at speeds not quite as fast as the first slide, but still fast enough for their excitement.

The twists and turns of the slide were exciting, and the occasional rush of adrenaline from the open-air parts of the slide definitely kept the ride anything but dull. Cora laughed and gasped as they slid down and reached the bottom, and soon they landed with a splash into the pool.

The sudden stop of the momentum submerged Cora briefly under the water, but she came back up with a large smile on her face. “Okay, that was a great pick.”

And it was. She dared to say it may have been better than her own pick, with the added bonus of being able to ride it with Eli behind her, even if she couldn’t see his reactions during the ride.

~~~

Skye followed Adlai and rose to her feet after him. She had no doubt that Shay was prepared for everything, and in some way, that scared her a little. Shay was intelligent and always seemingly a few steps ahead of everyone around her.

Or almost as if she had a little of the Force in her, even if Shay didn’t really.

“And don’t forget to tell your parents that you have a new bodyguard,” she said with a sly smirk. “Don’t want any unexpected when we arrive and have your parents wonder just who this wonderful woman ‘dear Addie’ brought home.”

And while Skye would love to see that scene, it would only cause more trouble and headache for them. It was best to tell them of a new bodyguard and leave it at that. The truth would come in time, when the right amount of time had passed.

Eira’s comment about her schedule told Lin enough that he needed to know. He wouldn’t push anything more on her, aside from maybe a distraction here and there to take her mind off of things. Stars knew that Lin could also use a distraction from everything that was going on in their group.

Even if he never showed it, he felt nervous for his close friend, and for their other Jedi. Never for himself though, but for the people he would call a friend. He didn’t even want to imagine what would happen to them if the Empire got a whiff of their presence and who they were.

And with those Inquisitors….

Lin shook all that from his mind to refocus on Eira. “I understand that. If you need a distraction, I’m always free today to give the tabloids something to go crazy over,” he whispered, lowly enough so that Shay wouldn’t hear him, with a sly wink.

Being in the back, Eli didn’t get splashed too badly. Just enough, and he certainly didn’t get submerged like Cora, but he still got a taste of the highly chlorinated water. It didn’t bother him much, nor did it seem to bother Cora, for she smiled easily and seemed pleased by his choice, “Why don’t we keep switching off for a bit?” For choices, at any rate.

They’d continue that way, and it would help to get Eli more familiar with the more intimidating slides, until after a couple hours of that, they ended up at the lazy river in another connected tub of two rings, relaxing in the Coruscanti sun and good weather.

Eventually, he knew, they’d have to get up and go get changed so they could enjoy the rest of the park.

This was still pretty enjoyable, though, and a much needed break after everything they had been through the past couple of days. ‘And what you have to return to.’ Right. He didn’t need to think about that.

He did need to think about time, “What other things in the park were you looking to do, Cora?” While he could easily lounge here for a while, they did need to have enough time to do those other things. Stars only knew when Thrawn would let them have a vacation together again.

~***~

Adlai would indeed make sure his parents were aware that he was bringing along a new bodyguard, giving them an overview of who she was, and why he’d hired her. He indicated her as a friend of Eira’s, even though she had never served as Eira’s bodyguard. When it was questioned how they knew each other, he simply indicated childhood friends.

It was believable enough. His parents knew Eira had traveled a bit for her education as a child.

He and Skye were then on the way to Serenno in one of his ships.

He knew he felt more relief than he should have when they left Coruscant. Still, he did, and he relaxed into his seat before looking over at Skye. She was probably more nervous to be leaving and heading for Serenno, “Any questions you have before we arrive?” He’d wait until they were in lightspeed to ask her that.

She probably had plenty, even though he’d tried to brief her. Sure, she wasn’t meeting his parents as his bodyguard…but she was still meeting his parents. That had to be stressful, despite the situation. Or perhaps because of it…his parents would have to believe he fell for her, after all, when that revelation came.

Cora enjoyed the excitement tremendously, but she enjoyed the lazy river even more after all the slides they went down, switching off between the more adrenaline-inducing ones and the winding tubes. She basked in the Coruscanti sun and decided she could lay there forever, getting a tan and forgetting about work.

Ah, work. Something they would have to go back to eventually.

But the day wasn’t quite over yet, and they still had time to enjoy some of the other features of the park before they had to leave. Though, Cora had to wonder, what would they do once they returned? She knew what other dates would expect, if things had gone well, but would Eli?

Don’t focus on that right now and get all awkward and nervous. Focus on the present.

She tilted her head in Eli’s direction, “I have to do at least one of those amusement park games,” she said with a smile. “And maybe once we’re done with all the rides, we can try out some of their food.” Whether it was something traditional like a funnel cake, or something more daring, like a strange fried food or exotic meat.

~~~

Skye had remained nearby when Adlai spoke with his parents about his visiting, and she made sure to pay close attention to any details he gave of her, and how she knew Eira. Just in case they decided to do a little interrogation of Adlai’s new bodyguard when they got there.

And that thought did not rest any nerves in Skye, as they entered lightspeed and away from Coruscant. She was meeting the parents. Maybe not formally, but she was still Adlai’s girlfriend, even if they didn’t know that, and if they were to come out later, well, first impressions are everything.

Skye turned to face Adlai and shrugged. “Probably questions you aren’t able to answer. Like how do I make sure they like me,” she chuckled, standing up from her seat now that the ship was at lightspeed. There was no way she could sit still in the moment, with what awaited her.

“Maybe there is one: What should I say or do once we arrive?” she turned back around to face Adlai with an unsure expression.

A game with prizes, more food, and more rides. Eli chuckled. That didn’t give him a schedule, but it did suggest they should probably be making their way out of the river soon so they could figure out how much time to spend at all of those other things. He knew they still needed to eat. He had started to feel hungry, anyways. “Okay…we should probably head back then and get our clothes. I’m getting hungry, anyways.”

Much as he didn’t want to leave the river, he knew it was necessary, and so he adjusted himself in his tube to look up and around for a good exit point out of the river. He saw a ladder, and figured that would work, turning in the tube so he could better propel them towards the ladder to get out, and pull the tube out.

He could probably just reach out and pull himself onto land from the tube, but better safe than sorry.

“Here, I’ll get out first,” he said, as they got closer to the ladder. He sunk beneath the opening of the tube and resurfaced a little bit aways, able to reach the ladder and start to climb out, before he’d reach from the land for the tube.

And steal another glance at Cora.

He would miss one very obvious thing about this park, too.

~***~

Adlai did chuckle a bit at her first question, which he couldn’t rightly answer. His parents weren’t inclined to immediately hate anyone, or start giving her a thousand questions to answer, given she was just a bodyguard. She at least had that much going for her – though her next question made sense.

After a moment.

‘Oh, right.’

She couldn’t just cheerfully greet them as any other person, and he watched her moving about with that anxious energy as he answered, “You’ll want to stay in the role. A step behind me. Tight, friendly greetings. They are family, but you’re still…well, technically on duty. You shouldn’t be too outgoing.”

Lest she seem inattentive, or not serious about the job. She didn’t need to make that impression on them, or else they’d soon want him looking for a different bodyguard entirely.

Cora agreed that they should be heading back if they wanted to do everything else she mentioned. She waited until Eli reached the ladder and grabbed the tube before she would slip out of the tube, careful not to get her hair wet again. It had just dried, and she would prefer to keep it that way this time.

She carefully climbed out of the lazy river, taking her own glance of Eli. They both held similar thoughts of what they would miss about the water park.

One very obvious thing.

Once more Cora double-checked that she still had the key to the locker room, and would wait for Eli to put the tube up before she would begin to lead them back to the locker room so they could get redressed. “So, which did we want to try first? Some games? Another ride?” She figured that eating some food would come after they were done with rides for the day.

It wouldn’t be great to eat something greasy then go on a rollercoaster.

~~~

Skye knew the answer, but that didn’t mean she liked it. She was outgoing, dammit! To be tight, silent, on duty….well, that reminded her of her days as a Jedi and a General in the Clone Wars. Always having to remain serious and on duty, for any mishap could mean deaths on her conscience.

And there were several she still had nightmares about.

She nodded. “Alright, I can do that.” Even if outgoing was in her nature. But she could do this.

There was no other choice.

“Tell me more about your parents,” Skye said, still lightly pacing around as her nerves refused to diminish.

Eli pulled the tube up and out of the water once Cora was free of the water, and got to his feet. There was a place to deliver the tube not far from the lazy river, and so he brought it over there before rejoining Cora, and taking her hand once again, glad to see the key was, in fact, still there. It’d be a problem if they lost it, although not the biggest problem.

“Well, I need to at least get something to eat,” going around on all of these rides had still worn him out a little, with all the swimming, the heat, and the walking about. He’d be glad to get at least a little something, “So maybe some games first,” that way he’d have time to let his stomach settle and be prepared for the rides.

Then they’d get a bigger meal before heading back to the Chimaera.

At least that remained his biggest worry; he wasn’t even thinking much about his interaction with her brother any longer as they made their way back to the lockers. “You’ll have to show me which games you’re best at,” he added, “so I can learn how to game the system, too.” And then he could start winning some prizes.

~***~

Adlai knew it would be a struggle for her. Hopefully, she could find a balance to let some of her real self through. Obviously, when they were away from his parents and just exploring Serenno, she’d have time for that, but not so much while she was around them. His parents didn’t quite know exactly how good his bodyguard was, after all.

Or that she had the Force.

Adlai hummed as she asked for more about his parents. There was always something to say, but the question was such a vague one. She knew his parents had participated in the Clone Wars, on the opposite side. He didn’t need to reiterate that.

“Doron and Eitana are more or less provincial governors on Serenno, so much of their life is spent lobbying the senate for things Serenno needs, overseeing taxations, and other things in line with running a quarter of a world,” something Adlai would do, one day. “My dad is gruff. Straightforward. Eitana is…a bit more tactful.” As she had seen, a bit.

“Eitana really enjoys the work, and helping people. My dad likes the helping people, but…he gets tired with bureaucrats and red tape pretty quickly. He has something of a…vigilante side,” despite his stately appearances, he was known to do semi-questionable things because they were right, even where the law said they weren’t. Both Imperial, and Serenno, laws. “I recall one time a refectory was going to be shut down because they lacked some license, so he just wrote them one. This was early Empire,” Adlai added, “They were wanting everything standardized.”

Even places people went to get food. Serenno didn’t have a problem feeding its population, and the free refectories were one of the reasons for it.

Something to eat while they played at the games did sound ideal, as Cora realized she was beginning to get famished herself. “Alright, that sounds good!” And she would indeed show him which games she was best at, and which ones she learned how to cheat at to actually win a prize instead of being ripped off.

It was one thing her oldest brother was good at teaching her growing up.

They made it back to the locker room, and Cora moved over to open up their locker. She grabbed the bag, but frowned. Something felt off. Their clothes were there, so what was….

Oh.

Cora looked inside the bag, searching around the clothes as her heartbeat picked up. “Fuck,” she hissed. It was evident the locker was locked, but…”We’re missing a datapad.”

~~~

Adlai’s parents sounded like remarkable people. “I can see where you get your rebellious streak from,” she chuckled, finally sitting down on the couch after listening to him. He came from a great pedigree, that much was clear, and in her opinion, he was doing great by his family name.

And great against the Empire.

“But they sound like truly wonderful people.” And wonderful people who can’t know her truth, thanks to the danger it presented, and thanks to the superstition of the people of Serenno that Adlai didn’t seem to harbor anymore.

Maybe one day she wouldn’t have to hide anymore, but that was some far away dream that Skye didn’t imagine she would live long enough to see.

“Do they know you have….these hobbies?” She figured they didn’t know about the Rebellion, or anything of the sort, but still, it didn’t hurt to ask, so she could better prepare what to say and not say in front of them. Maybe all Adlai was to them was a good son who was a little outspoken and did what he could on Coruscant to help the people of Serenno.

They reached the locker, and everything seemed all right to Eli. He waited for Cora to grab her clothes so he could grab his own, but noticed her sudden panic as she began to look around the locker’s contents. “What’s—” before he could finish the question, Cora answered.

He paled dramatically, and stepped forward, immediately wanting to search as well. He knew his datapad, it had a dent at the top left corner, and the only one he found did not have that. Still, he dug through the locker, and the bag, trying to find something Cora missed.

It wasn’t there.

“It’s…it’s mine,” Eli said, swallowing hard.

Their day of fun was over.

“Can you send the Grand Admiral a message for me? We’ll…I’m sorry, Cora, I need to get back to the ship so we can rectify this immediately,” but if Thrawn knew before his arrival, he may be able to wipe it from the ship and prevent any issues. It couldn’t have been gone that long, right? Eli couldn’t help but feel a sense of overwhelming guilt.

He should have brought a personal datapad, but he didn’t own one.

~***~

Adlai had to get up, as he realized Skye was not returning to the cockpit, and he followed her out into the main living space of the ship. As she took a seat on the couch, he joined her, and chuckled a little at her comment on his rebellious streak. He definitely knew where it came from. Both of his parents had a bit of it, his dad was just bolder about displaying it. His mother hid things in tactful deceit.

“They are,” he loved his parents.

“And no, they don’t,” he shook his head. He’d never told them, because of course, he wanted to keep them safe. Just as he’d never revealed what his real arrangement with Eira was. “The less they know, the better,” a common saying, it seemed, and he sighed. “This way they’re wholly innocent if I get caught, and they can continue their own work.”

Of course, he didn’t plan to get caught, but they always had to prepare for that. “As far as I know, they aren’t part of any rebel groups, either, though they’re no fans of the Empire. Few on Serenno are.” Which made sense, the Empire arose from the Republic, and was even more stringent about central governance, whereas Serenno preferred less oversight.

Thus the cause of the war.

Along with many other things.

It was Eli’s datapad.

Well that wasn’t good. Not at all.

“Shit,” she muttered, already bringing her datapad out to message the Grand Admiral. There was no telling what secrets were on the datapad that no civilian eye, or maybe even hers, should see.

And then Cora began to wonder, was this her fault? No, she knew she locked the door. She even double checked before they left, so what happened? Someone knew we were here.

That was the only explanation she could think of.

She finished her message to Thrawn and turned back to Eli. “Do you think there’s security cameras in here?” she asked with a glance around. It was a locker room...so it would make more sense if they didn’t, but maybe they could ask and see who came to their locker.

“And I know for a fact I locked the door…” she trailed off, suddenly not so sure of herself. She did, right? Now Cora felt guilty that maybe she didn’t, and she was the reason the datapad was gone.

~~~

Skye softly smiled as Adlai came over to join her on the couch. Her with her nervous energy, even if she didn’t really have anything to be nervous over. It was the entire idea of putting on a role, and having to stick with that role for a while, that she wasn’t sure about. But why? She practically lived a lie every day.

It was the only way to keep the Empire away from her.

An unmerciful Empire that she didn’t think would leave Adlai’s parents alone should he be exposed, but she didn’t tell him that.

“Maybe they are secretly a part of a rebel cell on Serenno, thinking they’re trying to keep you away from that life,” she chuckled, not once doubting that they would do such a thing based on what Adlai has told her of them. But it would be easier on his conscience if they weren’t.

Let them lead such simple lives in their already complicated titles.

Eli considered the possibility of cameras. Although he doubted it, it was at least worth pursuing. “It’s worth asking,” he said, “but I doubt it,” given this was an area likely for people to strip down. “There has to at least be a camera of everyone who entered and exited during the time we left our stuff, right?”

Whether or not that would help was unknown, but he could find out, and then Thrawn could make the request for it. Eli knew he wouldn’t be listened to, though they would probably consider giving information over to Thrawn, or the regular Coruscanti police.

“I’m sure you locked it,” he added, not doubting it. Criminals were criminals. “I don’t expect an amusement park to have the best security. This is my fault, I should have known better than to bring a work datapad,” he was cursing himself internally, though he knew one thing for certain, as well: someone knew he was here.

Someone knew how important he was.

It was the rebels Thrawn was hunting down, of course. ‘Eira….’ The only silver lining was the thought that Thrawn might know what to do, if he knew what his enemy knew. Still, Eli wouldn’t count on it, nor call it that – he’d screwed up.

Big time.

“Let’s go check with the desk where we got our key – ahh – I’ll go get changed,” he grabbed his clothes quickly and went to go find a place to change. "Let me know if Thrawn responds!"

~***~

Adlai chuckled at the thought of his parents as rebels, “It wouldn’t surprise me,” he said, “although I think Shay would have known about it by now.” Then again, there were many rebel cells out there, only now beginning to come together. It was possible Shay didn’t know all of them, even if it always seemed like she knew everything.

Adlai wasn’t sure if he’d prefer his parents as rebels, or just dealing with the clusterfuck that was politics on Serenno. He liked the thought of them doing more, but he also wanted them to be safe. Such was the conundrum of being a rebel, he supposed. He wanted others to support their ideals…but he also wanted others safe.

“So how many ‘meet the parents’ have you had before?” He couldn’t help but tease, just a little. He imagined it wasn’t many. And also nothing similar, either. Jedi and parents were always a bit…odd. Eira was lucky to have hers alive and willing to give her a cover for her own sake.

Eira had also been uncertain how to act, though she had at least grown up as a diplomat for the Jedi. And now an actress.

She’d figured it out, even if they always had that issue between them – scripted, prepared, to give them an out, and an explanation for why there were no kids, and no marriage plans, in their long relationship.

The possibility of their being cameras outside the facility was high, but there were so many people going in and out of the locker rooms at all times, and they were at the water park for a long time. It would be impossible for them to guess who would’ve taken the datapad from the locker.

Well, maybe for them, but Cora wondered if it was something Grand Admiral Thrawn could accomplish.

“And you shouldn’t beat yourself up for bringing the datapad. We needed it in case of an emergency.” And criminals would always be criminals. They would just have to wait until Thrawn responds.

As Eli took his clothes, Cora realized she needed to get dressed as well, and so she took everything with her, not risking leaving anything behind again, and changed in one of the changing rooms. As she made her way back to the front, her datapad buzzed with a response from Thrawn.

That is most unfortunate, and the information on the datapad will be dealt with soon. I would like to see the both of you once you are back on the ship.

Cora raised a brow, but she wasn’t surprised. Of course he would want to see them, no doubt to chastise about being so careless with Imperial property. And once Eli arrived, she would show him the message.

~~~

Skye didn’t doubt that if Adlai’s parents were indeed rebels, Shay would know about it. She seemed to know a lot in many areas, but especially anything pertaining to the rebels. Perhaps his parents were truly nothing more than politicians on Serenno with a complex pedigree that allowed them more power.

With his next question, Skye chuckled and shook her head, learning forward to rest her elbows on her knees. “This will be my first time. I’ve never been a ‘meet the parents’ kinda girl before.” Her lifestyle hadn’t allowed her to know anyone long enough for such an encounter, nor did she think she would even say yes to such a thing.

Funny how circumstances can change so fast.

“I guess technically you could say I haven’t even met my parents.” She knew nothing about them, not even if they were still alive. It was the way of the Jedi, to be taken from their parents at such a young age to prevent attachment…

Oh how the Jedi Council would frown at her now. And then in her secrecies with Kai.

Eli dressed quickly – likely as quickly as he ever had in his life, before having a crisis in the changing stall. ‘Thrawn is going to kill me.’ Okay, that was probably an exaggeration, but he’d never done something like this. He’d never screwed up this badly. He could only imagine all of the trust they’d built between the years shattering now.

What would happen to him then?

Would he lose his entire career? Would he be shuffled to another ship and lost to obscurity? Demoted? There were too many terrible options to consider, and Eli stood with them for too long before getting out of the stall and going to join Cora.

Who was holding the datapad.

“He responded?” Eli couldn’t hide the edge of worry in his tone. He doubted much would really be said over datapads, but still, Eli worried that Thrawn’s anger would be palpable through the text speech.

~***~

As Skye leaned forward, Adlai reached his hand out to place it on her shoulder, not in the least bit surprised by her answer. As a Jedi, and even after the fall, this was likely something she tried to avoid, since she didn’t need to be known, in general. Getting attached to someone in that way, would be becoming known, which wasn’t good for hiding from the Empire.

“Does it bother you? Not knowing your parents?” He added, to clarify.

He didn’t fully understand it, really.

He understood the concept of it, but how had that not been traumatizing to the children growing up in the Order? Did many of them ever wonder, or go seeking their parents? He knew, of course, that Dooku did – but he also left the Jedi.

The way Eira did, as she also found her parents.

Was it something reserved only for those who left the path? Or were they not even supposed to know who their parents had been, and their finding out was a fluke?

Cora looked over at Eli and nodded her head. “Yeah, but he doesn’t seem to be upset? At least, that’s how I’m reading it.” She would let him read the datapad if he wanted to, just to put his own mind at ease.

Even though it wasn’t her datapad to lose, she still felt some slight trepidation that he wanted to see both of them. As if he would yell at them both for being so irresponsible. But in the time she’d known Thrawn, he hadn’t raised his voice once. Would he yell over such an error?

“It’ll be alright.” Cora reached one hand out to gently rest on Eli’s shoulder with a slight squeeze. “We’ll get the datapad wiped, maybe a stern talking to, and then we’ll learn from this mistake and move on.” She hoped that was all that would happen.

Was there anything truly private on the datapad that no one else should’ve seen? Some top secrets that could expose them all? She doubted it, with Eli’s rank, but also, working underneath Grand Admiral Thrawn, anything was possible.

~~~

As she felt his hand rest on her shoulder, Skye reached one hand up to rest on his in a small desire for physical contact. She didn’t quite know the answer to Adlai’s question, as it was something she never really considered before.

“I don’t know,” she shrugged. “I had the opportunity to learn who they were, as it was something the Jedi didn’t hide from us. It was just...more along the lines of discouraged against, but the information was there.” She could’ve learned her parents name at any time.

And now?

“And now I guess there is some regret that I never learned their names, because it’s not like I can search my name for that information.” A simple search of her name would send the Empire after them, so she just had to live in her ignorance.

It’s not like she had a great urge to know who they were, or even if she had siblings, but sometimes, she did wonder.

Eli did take the opportunity to read it. There was nothing like offense or anger in the wording, but Eli didn’t trust it. He just let out a hum, and allowed Cora to take her datapad back. He sighed at her attempt to reassure him, “We’ll see,” it wasn’t the kind of thing she could be certain of. He hoped it would be that easy, though.

He couldn’t relax with her gesture, or words.

“C’mon, let’s go talk to the clerk about cameras,” he said, before he would take the lead to find the store they’d bought the swimming attire in. They needed to return the key anyways, and they had gotten it there, so it seemed proper.

Thankfully, it was still open, and the same clerk appeared on duty. “Done for now?” They asked, chipper.

Eli couldn’t force a smile, though he nodded, “Yeah uh – actually we had something stolen out of the locker. My datapad. I don’t suppose there are cameras in the locker room?” He knew the answer, but he still to ask.

The clerk did at least look mortified for Eli, “Oh – no, there aren’t, just outside.”

~***~

Adlai had always assumed it was hidden information. Eira never said that, but the way it had been spoken of, and how her family had been willing to cut all ties, made him believe it was. Skye’s elaboration made sense. It wasn’t forbidden, but those who looked into it were frowned upon. It likely showed a certain weakness. An attachment.

Things Jedi weren’t allowed.

“I see. I always assumed it was actually forbidden,” Adlai admitted, “of course, by the time I began to learn anything about the Jedi, it was always filtered through the layers of war.” He’d learned after that, “Eira never explained the situation with her parents. I just assumed since she left the Jedi, she was able to get that information.”

Nothing more, nothing less.

“The way Dooku was,” or such had been the assumption, at any rate.

“At least now you have us,” the shah-tezh, he meant, but also, most importantly, himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back