• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

The bumper cars ended up being more fun than Cora remembered, which surprised her. She thought that later they may have laughed together over how childish it had been, but there she was, laughing with every hit and bump of her car by either Eli’s or anothers.

If they were keeping score, Cora had long forgotten her own in the excitement of the game.

When the ride was over and the cars automatically turned off, Cora slowly left her speeder and met back up with Eli before heading to the exit. “Maybe we could-” but she trailed off over what had also caught Eli’s attention. She certainly didn’t hear the ride operator saying the same thing earlier when they were standing in line, and the reason why didn’t escape her.

While Cora had been oblivious to the lack of aliens at the park, the way the twi’leks were being treated did not escape her. Without further thought, she turned and made her way over to the ride operator, a frown evident on her face. “Excuse me,” she called out to him.

“What is it?” he asked, clearly displeased that someone was actually talking to him. “You want another go? Feel free to go right ahead.”

“No, I don’t want another ride. I wish to know why you’ve decided to change the rules of the park so suddenly.”

~~~

Thrawn hummed his agreement at Eira’s picks for her own favorite cultures in regards to art. “They each certainly have their own merits, no doubt.” Especially Mirialan art, in his opinion.

But his own?

He was half-tempted to say Mygeeto art, just to see how she would react, even if he did love the art style very much. Was it his favorite? No, but that didn’t mean he didn’t find it beautiful (and it certainly helped that looking at their art sent a constant reminder to him of the woman sitting across from him).

“I am particularly fond of the recent cubism movement found in Mandalore art.” So much anger and strength in the bold colors and shapes, and the art movement had only evolved since the end of the Clone Wars. “I also enjoy the elegance of the art of Naboo.” Often floral and fragile but resilient, the art told a story of a planet that preferred peace.

Which made the case of Emperor Palpatine all the more interesting.

Naturally, the operator gave Cora a confused look, “I didn’t change any rules,” he said, “no one wanted to go on again previously,” he suggested, rather than admit to his own actions. Eli came forward as well.

“So there’s room for two more, right?” He asked, putting an arm around Cora’s shoulders and smiling.

“Yes—”

“Awesome – you two can take our spots,” Eli said to the twi’lek and her daughter, and he shot the man a look, “That’s fine, right? No one else seems to be coming forward to get a place,” which was also true, those who wanted to go again had already filled in their spots, leaving room for more than the twi’lek and her daughter, as well as people behind her.

The operator couldn’t deny it, and he grudgingly opened the gate for them. The mother wordlessly sent the two Imperials a hesitant smile, but there was enough gratitude in her gaze as she ushered her daughter forward without having to explain what was going on any further than that.

Although, no doubt, her daughter already knew, no matter how much she tried to protect her from it.

~***~

Eira wasn’t surprised that Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s favorites were so disparate. She wasn’t as familiar with Mandalorian cubism, only enough to know what it was, really. Certainly enough to know it was drastically different from Naboo’s art, which she always thought of as far more similar to Alderaan, although they both had different styles. Alderaan still seemed far more natural.

“I’m not terribly familiar with Mandalorian cubism,” she admitted, “I’ve seen it, here and there, but I’ve never sought it out. Is there a particular artist you’d recommend I look in to? Your favorite, or one that just captures the style well?” Those weren’t always the same, she knew that too well.

“I’m a bit more familiar with Naboo art,” she admitted, “though more in their fashion than their more standard art,” they remained ahead of the game in fashion, and she had plenty of gowns from Naboo. She always loved that ombre style, and anything with transparent fabrics, or those light ones.

It was probably her favorite world for fashion, really.

Which easily brought up the thought, "Do you study much fashion, or does that fall a bit outside of your area of expertise?"

Cora was ready to call out the lies of the operator, when Eli stepped forward and wrapped one arm around her shoulders. She leaned into the touch slightly, but her face remained firm as she stared down the operator. The twi’leks hurried onto the ride, and Cora offered them a reassuring smile.

Sure, she knew of the image most Imperials had, but she was determined to show not all of them were jerks. That some actually wanted what was best for the galaxy rather than care about names and wealth.

Her gaze momentarily followed the mother and daughter, before she focused it back on the operator. “There, now that wasn’t so hard, now was it?” Her words were laced with sardonicism, and the operator said nothing in response, but Cora knew he was thinking a few unkind things he wanted to say.

Would bringing it up to whoever his manager was help anything? Somehow, Cora doubted it, even if it came from someone like her. “I do hope we don’t hear of anything like this happening again. After all, it’s just not fair to everyone else waiting their turn in line.” Not that the man cared. Or perhaps anyone of authority within the park.

The operator grumbled, and Cora wanted nothing more than to slap some sense into him, but she had to resist. Best to just leave it be. Instead, she shifted her head to look at Eli. “Ready to head on to the next ride?”

~~~

Thrawn allowed himself to focus on Eira’s second question first, before he would divert back to the previous one to allow him further divulge on the topic of Mandalore art. “I am afraid that fashion as an art form is a topic I have not looked into further until the last few years.” At first he didn’t think much of fashion, and thought it frivolous, but as he got older, Thrawn understood how art and fashion can be the same thing on some planets.

“Now, I will sometimes look into fashion if I know it is of great importance to a planet,” such as the fashion of Naboo’s political sphere. He knew that Naboo’s elected queen and her handmaidens wore particular styles that not only held symbolism, but also practicality.

“But to go back to your previous question, the artist Veraslayn Kast offers a great look into the early Mandalore cubism movement. For more recent pieces, there’s this one Mandalore artist on Lothal that I’ve been intrigued by, but unfortunately I do not know their name yet.”

And a Mandalore artist who was a part of the rebel cell that was causing Tarkin some headache.

All throughout their conversation, he slowly ate at the dinner on the plate before him. “Do you see the fashion you wear as art, Eira?” he thought to ask.

Eli also wanted to do something like punch the operator in the gut as he seemed unrepentant for his blatant racism. Eli knew he’d had an off-feeling with so few non-humans in the area, and now he understood it. Perhaps the majority of park goers, and even workers, weren’t that way…but if this went so unchallenged in the line, even by those waiting, Eli doubted it mattered when they chose to be silent.

And he knew mentioning it was also, unlikely, to make changes.

The Empire was still home to plenty of these attitudes. He’d seen enough of it around Thrawn, and continued to take offense at it. Thrawn had proved himself time and time again, but still had to be better than anyone else to get treated with decency…and even then, not always.

It was because of that, he wouldn’t ask for more information, and hope the twi’leks didn’t find more issues later on through the day. He gave an agreeable hum and nodded to Cora’s question, moving his hand to unwrap from around her, and instead, take her hand in his. It was a little easier to walk that way, “Yeah, let’s see what else this park has to offer,” hopefully, no more of that.

~***~

Fashion as an art style was certainly different from more traditional styles. Eira did not fault Mitth’raw’nuruodo for not considering it, given that. It also offered some insight into how the Chiss must have viewed fashion, as well, if Mitth’raw’nuruodo had only just begun to consider it on its own as artwork.

Of course, planets varied. Few were as notable as Naboo for their fashion, though their styles still usually spoke a lot to their culture, and the things they prioritized.

Ae’lia knew the artist he spoke of on Lothal, but wouldn’t comment on that, just canted her head, “Does this artist have a sign-off? I’d be interested in trying to find their things, along with Kast, if you’re interested in them,” she could always search by a sign-off. Obviously, there had to be something that was cluing Mitth’raw’nuruodo into who they were, and that it was a single person, not multiple.

Something about the style, or indeed, the way they ‘signed’ it.

There were artists out there who liked to keep up the mystery, simply because the mystery was all that gave them fame. Not their actual talent. “As for my own fashion, I don’t have much of a choice but to see it that way,” she chuckled, “Outside of the lectures I’ve received for what I can and cannot wear in differing circumstances, I’ve had to listen to plenty of seamstresses talk about their designs, and why they designed it that way – the symbolism, the practicality – I imagine it’s not too dissimilar from listening to a more traditional artist talk about their work.”

So Eira certainly had to be aware, given she was seen by more people, of what messages might be woven into her attire. It didn’t stop her from still leaning heavily into Naboo’s designs, nor from seeing to it that familiar attributes were added to her personal wear, rather than those things she had to wear.

Cora almost wanted to flash her status as an Imperial officer to this guy, but she would let it go begrudgingly. It may cause too much of a commotion for what was supposed to be a lovely day with Eli, and all she wanted for once was a peaceful day with him away from missions.

But that blatant racism...did that happen often? Sure, she knew of some xenophobic rhetoric exchanged between humans. She certainly heard a lot of it from other Imperials and even some of her own family. But witnessing it was another matter.

Or maybe she just wasn’t that observant when it came to those attitudes. They were so common, maybe she brushed aside much of it.

Cora squeezed Eli’s hand as he took her once again. “How about a rollercoaster?” she suggested. Now with their breakfasts settled, she felt like she could withstand a high velocity ride, and something along those lines would get her mind off of the situation that just occurred. “Are you up for one right now?”

~~~

Thrawn searched his thoughts for any indicator of a sign off by the artist that Eira may easily be able to pick up on like he was able to. Then again, she could probably pick up on more than he gave her credit for, which he caught a glimpse of at the gallery. If anyone could pick up on an artist’s color palette use across paintings, or the weight of their brushstrokes, he was certain Eira could.

It also provided Thrawn a reminder of what Eira could be, if Tarkin was correct.

“The artist’s paintings have a distinct style to them with their use of bold colors, giving it an almost chaotic feel.” Someone undoubtedly rebellious in nature. “And many of their pieces also feature a stylized starbird.” And many of their graffiti pieces prominently feature this symbol.

Thrawn was almost certain he would be able to identify this person should he meet them on the street. Their colorful and chaotic style surely translated into their everyday appearance and mannerisms.

“I think I understand the need for specific designs when leading such a public life,” he commented back on the subject of fashion. “In the Navy, we have our daily uniform and a formal uniform, both of which have their own specific designs embedded with symbolism to portray a certain message.” And it was one they had to exude when not in any Imperial setting, such as his dinner with Eira.

His outfit was still immaculate and crisp, with the white of the Navy dominating the color scheme.

A rollercoaster certainly sounded exciting enough, and Eli nodded, “I think I’m up for that,” he agreed, and with his free hand he took out his datapad to look for where the nearest one might be. There were at least a couple of sport-themed ones, and he opted to indicate those, bringing the datapad closer to Cora.

“It looks like nearby there’s one based on swoop-racing. High-speed, and uh…,” he felt himself pale just a little, “…I guess there’s breaks in the track that let the coaster jump it through hoops,” yeah, that sounded fun, but also dangerous. Eli supposed it was probably perfectly safe, but he wasn’t familiar with too many rollercoasters that actually left the tracks behind.

“There’s plenty of others in the other themed places, too,” he said, in case Cora wanted to consider heading to another part of the park rather than sticking around in the sports area. The park was huge, after all.

And that kind of coaster might be better saved as a third or fourth, not right off the bat. Even with his breakfast having settled, he wasn’t sure he was ready to jump all in all at once. That was asking a lot. Something that went through loops or even backwards might be easier to deal with than that.

~***~

Eira lifted her brows at the starbird indication, following the rest of Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s descriptors. It was something of note, after all. It was also a symbol becoming increasingly more attached to the rebellion, too. “I’ll have to see if the holonet has many of their pieces up yet,” Eira was curious, admittedly.

She hadn’t known Sabine long, but based on her hair alone, she imagined the artwork was interesting. “It sounds like a style Amilyn would like,” highly unusual for anyone from Gatalenta, but Mitth’raw’nuruodo had no doubt already come to such conclusions about Eira’s aide.

It was no surprise that Mitth’raw’nuruodo had also started to figure out fashion because of his military career, though she wondered if Chiss militaries were different, or if he only started catching on when he noticed a trend across the galaxy. “Mm. It’s easy to differentiate between all of you Imperials based on your uniforms, formal or dress,” Eira chuckled, “The identification plaques also help,” she touched an empty spot on her chest, where she, of course, had no such plaque.

Still, it made figuring them out easy.

Useful for the military, but just as useful for their enemies. “Do you ever wish you had more casual attire, or time to be casual?” Eira wondered. She didn’t see him in anything but uniform, really. “Not that the white doesn’t suit you,” she added, “it does.”

With the discussion of which rollercoaster they should ride, Cora forgot about the recent incident at the bumper speeders. When Eli brought out his datapad and brought it closer to her, she leaned in closer to get a better glimpse at the map.

The one that featured the breaks in the track honestly sounded exciting to Cora, but judging Eli’s reaction, he didn’t quite agree with her, and so she wouldn’t suggest that one. Just yet. Maybe later, depending on how things went.

“How about we head for another section and check out the rides there?” she suggested, moving her free hand over the datapad to zoom in on another section of the park. There was still the waterpark that they discussed the previous day, and near it was a section with ice themed rides.

“What about there?” she pointed to the ice themed section, where there were plenty of roller coasters and other high velocity rides, including a tall ride that flung them in the air in their seats. Of course not that one next, but maybe later, if Eli was up to it.

~~~

Thrawn studied Eira’s immediate reaction to his descriptor of the Mandalorian artist on Lothal, tucking away the little details of note. He doubted she was surprised or shocked by anything, but he wouldn’t comment on it. It could end up to be nothing at all.

But often nothing was indeed something noteworthy.

“I am certain you will be able to find something, if not at least through the news network on Lothal,” he said. Thrawn almost wanted to offer to show her what he had available, but that would require bringing Eira to his quarters on the ship, which was not allowed.

Not to mention all the talk and rumors that would start. He didn’t need that somehow getting back to Tarkin.

“I am certain that Amilyn will enjoy it.” The eccentric friend, and a potential person of interest to look further into, given her proximity and closeness to Eira. Would she like the art because of its style? Because of its potential symbolism?

“If it’s easy to differentiate, then our uniforms are doing what they are supposed to do,” he chuckled. No, he was not supposed to be easily mistaken for someone of the Army. But he imagined that no one would ever mistake him for someone else, given his...uniqueness in the Empire in general.

His lips quirked upwards at her compliment to him. “So you like the white on me?” he gently teased before continuing. “I suppose at times I do desire for something more casual,” but one time when he did attempt to go more casual, Eli mentioned how his fashion choices were….less than ideal. “And what about you? Surely someone in the public eye like you have to constantly remain vigilant on how you’re perceived. I’m certain you wish for a day here and there when you don’t have to think about such things?”

The next section that Cora brought up was the ice section, which of course had a ride that flung people high up into the air. Eli considered the others in the area, none of them having breaks in the track, or too much that was complicated. Most of the advertisement was about speed, which made sense given the slickness of ice.

Not that any of it was on actual ice.

“I think this coaster would be good to start with,” he gestured to one that had a few high plunges, but otherwise nothing too dramatic. It looked as good as any as a way to ease into things, “Maybe we can stay in this area for a bit before changing for the water park,” he offered, considering the closeness himself.

It would also be better to go to the water park earlier than later, he figured. They could catch a snack after the water park if they were hungry, and not have to worry about eating too much before it, either. It would give them plenty of time to explore the rest of the park afterwards, too.

Not to mention the ice area seemed to have a lot of rides.

~***~

Eira nodded, taking Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s idea to check the Lothal news for a genuine one. It was likely, given the mess that the rebels made on Lothal, that some of the art also made the news. Amilyn would like it even more for that, though Eira wouldn’t say as much. It may not surprise the Grand Admiral that Amilyn had something of a rebellious streak, but he didn’t need to know that the streak led to actual rebellion, and not the more childish sorts.

Agreeing with him about the outfits being clear, as well as about the white, wasn’t hard. Even noting his tone, and reminding herself yet again of what she’d seen on Corellia. What she’d learned on Corellia, “Yes, the white looks fine on you, although I suppose white and black are easy for most anyone to wear,” there wasn’t too much color in the realm of Imperial outfits, save the Grand Moff himself who got an olive uniform.

No doubt that was also done purposefully. It was hard to look bad in such neutral tones.

She did sigh at his question, “I do,” she said, “I admit, it’s a little easier to pull off when I go off-planet, my traits aren’t unusual, but I still can’t exactly be casual,” if she wanted to go unnoticed, that was more work than dressing up. Wigs, colored contacts, contouring make-up, goodness knew what else depending on what was needed.

Yes, she’d certainly prefer more casual days.

“I suppose it’s why I enjoy time at home,” she chuckled, “I can lounge around in comfy clothing and not worry about a thing. Unless I forgot an appointment I had.” Which had happened before, and no doubt would happen again.

Cora glanced over the coaster in question and hummed her agreement that it seemed like a decent one to start out with. A fast one, with some dramatic plunges, but nothing too extreme. A perfect compromise for what they both enjoyed and for something still early in their adventure at the park.

“Alright, it looks like we head this way to get to that area,” she nodded in the direction indicated by the map and began to lead them that way.

Maybe she could still convince him to do the scarier rides, somehow. There was time.

“How long do you think we’ll want to stay in that section before we switch to the water park?” Depending on the lines and how exciting the rides truly were, Cora could see herself getting lost to time in there, but she still wanted to go to the water park.

And wearing a swimsuit in front of Eli may or may not be an incentive.

~~~

Thrawn noted the slight change in tone. It was odd, he surmised, but like many other observations, he wouldn’t comment on it. It almost seemed like Eira was actively trying to fight a prevalent thought, and Thrawn had a few guesses given the circumstances. Of course, he wouldn’t speak of any then. Not the right time, nor the right setting.

But, he also wanted to quip back that Eira hadn’t truly seen everyone in the uniforms, because some certainly did not look the best in either all white or black.

“I can only imagine not being able to blend in with everyone else,” Thrawn quipped with a slight teasing tone. His deep blue skin and crimson eyes didn’t exactly do him any favors when it came to blending. And apparently, according to Eli, he was not good at disguises to do so.

He just left that task up to everyone else now.

“And was it is you enjoy doing while at home?” he inquired after taking the last bite of his food, a reminder that the evening was coming to a close, and Thrawn felt like he still needed to acquire more information.

But was anything truly ever enough?

Eli followed along after Cora as she indicated the way, still glancing around the park. He lowered his datapad, though, and kept hold of Cora’s hand. The park itself remained vast with plenty of areas, and he did want to take those in as they walked on. He hummed as he considered her question.

“Well, we probably want to be there before it’s too late,” even though that was also, probably, the busier time. He wasn’t sure. “But not so late that we’re hungry again. We’d want to leave by the time we’re getting hungry,” again, assumptions.

He didn’t have an answer, though, and just shrugged. “Whenever feels right, I guess?” However much they found entertaining in the ice area, before they wanted to move on. Whether that was just one ride, or five, he wasn’t about to say. He didn’t want to avoid the waterpark by any means, there were perks he was only too aware of, but he also didn’t want to make this feel rushed, or like they had to do anything, either.

They were there to relax, after all.

~***~

Eira could only chuckle at the thought of Mitth’raw’nuruodo trying to blend in. “You know, there is good bodypaint out there, as well as colored contacts. You could blend in,” though it would take substantial effort on his part, and might not even be considered worth it by the end of it. Well, unless he wanted to do twi’lek, maybe. Then a good headdress and contacts would be enough; blue twi’leks were a thing.

She did shake her head a bit at his question, not to deny answering it, though, only to deny the answer would be of interest, “I’m afraid I’m fairly boring. I like to play music, mostly, or enjoy reading, or watching some sort of new series. Or tending to my plants,” she did have too many plants.

Then again, she always liked nature, and having it around. Caring for the plants was easier than caring for an animal, at any rate.

“Do you do anything besides look at art in your downtime?” She teased, certain he did, but uncertain what that was.

They made their way to the ice-themed section of the amusement park, where they immediately stood in line for one of the less intense, but still a lot of fun, coasters. Cora was immensely enjoying her time at the park with Eli, and even better, she loved that they hadn’t been interrupted by anything back on the ship.

But as they left the ride, hands clasped in each other’s, a familiar voice called out from behind her. “Coraline?”

Cora paused in her steps. Only a few people ever addressed her by her full name instead of her much desired nickname. Instinctively she drew her hand away from Eli’s and turned around to see who exactly it was that recognized her.

Her oldest brother, on Coruscant of all places, with his wife.

“Leoline,” she said with a smile and a step towards him.

“I’m surprised that you actually have a day off,” he chuckled, bridging the gap between them to hug his youngest sibling. “And who is it you’re with? A boyfriend you have yet to tell me about?”

Cora blushed, but she looked back at Eli to allow him to introduce himself.

~~~

Thrawn chuckled at Eira’s suggestion, but he wouldn’t even consider it for a second. Something of that nature would take far too long, and there was always the slight chance the makeup would wipe off. No, he would leave the blending in work to his officers who could actually blend in.

Eira didn’t give anything much of interest when she listed off her hobbies. It was all something typical, especially for someone as artistic as her. And somehow, he could envision Eira tending to her plants, carefully watering and pruning each plant nightly, or every morning.

He wasn’t surprised in the least she turned the question back on him. “Of course, I don’t have much downtime,” he admitted. Even now he technically wasn’t having dinner with Eira during his downtime. This was part of his assignment from Tarkin. “But when I do, I enjoy a round of holochess,” as she may know, given a match they had that led to Thrawn asking her for dinner.

“I also enjoy reading, as well as sparring.” None should be too shocking for Eira, as they were all completely expected hobbies for an Imperial. There really wasn’t much time for anything else.

‘Coraline?’ Eli knew it was technically the full name of Cora Suvan, but it was still odd hearing it that it didn’t register at first, and he was confused when she let go of his hand. Hurt, too, as he looked towards her only to follow her gaze. He wasn’t sure if he should expect an ex, or something worse, when he looked towards the figure approaching.

‘Leoline?’ Someone Cora was evidently close to, and he managed to bring up a bit of a smile, albeit a touch confused Her blush and lack of response made him wonder how he ought to answer, but he didn’t want to lie. They weren’t doing that around anyone else, after all, and she hadn’t mentioned keeping it a secret from anyone.

“Actually, yeah,” Eli said, and offered his hand, “I’m Eli Vanto, we only just started dating, so don’t blame her too harshly for not telling you yet,” he didn’t offer his rank or anything of that nature, not wanting it to feel like he was trying to pull rank with someone he didn’t know.

He didn’t mean to be a threat, or come off as superior.

He didn’t know how Leoline factored in, though he had a suspicion. Cora did have plenty of siblings….

~***~

‘No, just enough to come to dinner, and to spar with me at the drop of….’ Eira didn’t allow the thought to finish, though she knew how it followed. Shay’s paranoia was not lost on her, nor were her own considerations given Mitth’raw’nuruodo knew who he worked for. There were plenty of things to be suspicious about; she’d be a fool not to be. Nonetheless…she couldn’t just shy away out of the blue.

“True, you are good at that. I still owe you a game of shah-tezh one day,” she grinned, “I think I’ll win,” though she wouldn’t press that. It was something for another day, of course, not this one, “but what books do you prefer? Fiction, or non-fiction?”

She’d hazard a guess at non-fiction, though that was a bias she held for most Imperials, and it wasn’t often wrong. Mitth’raw’nuruodo wouldn’t surprise her, exactly, if he chose otherwise. His artistic leanings at least suggested he had more imagination than others, and the ability to actually use creative thought in practical ways.

Eira’s bias still remained, though – and it was an easy way to keep the topics on him, and not her. The fact the food was finished between the two of them hinted at how soon things would be wrapping up anyways, but she would hardly draw attention to it herself. Their host was no doubt going to do so eventually, and they’d make their way out.

Immediately Cora thought of several different ways the initial interaction could have gone a big differently, but it was in the past now, and she would just have to explain to Eli later what was going on.

It’s not that she was embarrassed by him, but she knew what her family’s reactions would be once they knew he was from Wild Space.

“It doesn’t surprise me that I haven’t heard of you yet,” Leoline offered with a slight chuckle as he took Eli’s hand in a firm handshake. “This one right here doesn’t message her brother often enough.”

Cora rolled her eyes. “You and mother say the same thing. I just get too busy.”

“Too busy for a quick call?” Leoline scoffed. “So, Eli Vanto, what is it that you do? Would I be correct in assuming you’re in the Imperial Navy as well?”

Cora desperately wanted to grab Eli and drag him away before things could get worse, if they ever did. At the very least, now her parents would know of him, and would demand Cora for more information about ‘her new mysterious man.’

~~~

Thrawn raised one brow in amusement. “I shall look forward to that game of shah-tezh, and we shall see who will come out victorious.” No doubt Eira had some tricks up her sleeves that he longed to see firsthand.

But what exactly were those tricks, he had to figure out.

“It should come at no surprise that I enjoy indulging in non-fiction books,” Thrawn admitted, and the topics likewise were those anyone who knew him could guess. Art history, planetary history, war tactics, and anything of a similar nature. “I also enjoy the occasional fictional book,” he then added, something that may come at a slight surprise.

But then again, he enjoyed the arts. Fiction was art, and he could further get inside the mind of a culture by reading their literature.

It was then their waiter came back. “I trust that the two of you had a pleasant meal?” he inquired with a glance over both Eira and Thrawn.

“We did, thank you.”

“Very good. Will this be one check or separate?”

Leoline confirmed that he was Cora’s brother as he took Eli’s hand, and Eli made sure his own grip was firm, still smiling into the interaction even though he could imagine he was being sized up. Even if Leoline wasn’t of the Core elite, he was a brother. He was going to size up Eli no matter what just for that reason.

“You would be,” Eli confirmed, releasing Leoline’s hand, “I’m a commander in the 7th fleet, on the flagship Chimaera.” He knew Leoline might judge immediately if he knew the 7th fleet, and knew who headed it. Obviously, that was the same ship that Cora worked on, so he expected Leoline knew about it.

“We met due to the good fortune of being stationed on the same ship,” the addition was probably unnecessary, “we were both guests at the Grand Admiral’s inauguration to his new position, and we connected from there. I’m glad to have met her.”

He didn’t need any lies between them. “What is it you do, if you don’t mind me asking?” He hadn’t expected to meet any of Cora’s family on Coruscant; he hadn’t thought they had much reason to be on the Core, though obviously Leoline was taking something of a vacation from his work.

~***~

Eira did chuckle, but agreed, “No surprise at all,” and she could have certainly guessed plenty of the topics. She was more curious what fictional books he read, but there was little time to ask as the host did, in fact, notice they had finished and came over. She turned her attention from Mitth’raw’nuruodo to the host and nodded along as well. “Yes, it was quite good,” she agreed.

Then again, she never had any doubts about this place.

“It will be on one, I’m covering,” Eira offered, taking her datapad out into sight and opening the place where he could scan it to acquire the funds to cover the meal, not wasting any time or asking for more time, refills, or anything of the like.

It was better that this evening ended sooner, and she knew it.

The indicator was scanned, the credits quickly transferred, “Thank you, Miss Nevan,” the host said, smiling briefly to the Grand Admiral as well, “Did either of you check anything?”

Eira shook her head as she settled her datapad back into her purse and moved the strap over her shoulder. She hadn’t had a need to check anything, so there was nothing for him to fetch. They could be on their way quickly.

Leoline was indeed sizing up Eli with the first impression handshake. So far, he couldn’t find much fault in the man, even if he, as the older brother, wanted to pick apart everything and dismiss the guy for Cora. But that would be a little too mean.

The name of the ship Eli was stationed on was familiar to Leoline. Of course he knew the name of the ship that Cora served on, and he heard about the Grand Admiral that helmed the ship. The alien that led the 7th fleet.

Of course, if Cora was willing to serve under him, then Leo would do his best to not immediately jump to conclusions typical of Core people.

“Our father is the owner of a real estate firm on Anaxes, and I’m currently preparing to take over for him when he retires,” Leoline answered. “So, Eli, where are you from?”

Cora nervously bit her lip as her eyes flashed to Eli. Leo may be her brother, but he still held his internal prejudices that were just...typical, even if he, like Cora, did his best to work past them. But he hadn’t had much of an immersion like Cora has into working past them.

~~~

Thrawn could only wish he and Eira had more time. He hadn’t finished questioning her after all, but to try and keep her any longer would arouse suspicion from both her and from wandering eyes who may already be wondering why the Grand Admiral and the actress were dining together.

Oh his next conversation with Grand Moff Tarkin will be an interesting one.

He watched as she offered her datapad for the payment, as per their earlier agreement. As the waiter asked if they checked anything at the entrance, Thrawn shook his head no, for neither of them had anything extra with them.

Easier for them to swiftly leave before anymore wondering eyes could find them.

He led them out of the restaurant once Eira had gathered her purse and paid the bill. “I had a pleasant time, Eira,” he said, with an almost slip of ‘Miss’ in there.

‘So you must be the eldest.’ At least, Eli assumed. It was usually how these things were handled, with the eldest inheriting the business. It was possible it was different. He wouldn’t ask for clarification from him. He might ask Cora later. He noticed she was staying out of the conversation.

He seemed to be on his own.

“I’m from Lysatra,” though Eli was only too aware of Core prejudices, he wasn’t going to look ashamed of it, “I was actually going to take over my own family’s trading business,” a commonality, even if Leoline might consider anything a savage from Wild Space would be involved with, would be quaint, and hardly worth acknowledging compared to what his family did.

Eli refused to feel ashamed or act as if he should be, “But that looks like it might not happen thanks to my current career path,” although he did still hold out that hope that he might be able to retire from his military career and go back to his family’s business. He didn’t know when, or if, that would ever truly be possible.

~***~

Eira stowed her datapad once again and followed Mitth’raw’nuruodo out, not having any reason to stall him. She knew that she needed to start phasing out. It wouldn’t be too difficult. She could easily feign being busy with acting, or anything else, and only see him a couple more times. Eventually, he’d run out of interest.

Though she supposed finding another fake boyfriend would help.

Still, she was able to smile as they exited the restaurant, and respond without lying, “So did I,” that was the hardest part about having to consider not seeing him again. She did like him…but she knew how that he supported the Sith.

There was no going back from that.

She couldn’t pretend that he wasn’t ignorant.

“I’ll look forward to our next outing, when we can both pry ourselves away from things,” she added, “but I should let you get back to the Chimaera and those two guests of yours,” he’d never specified who they were. Eira was certain she’d end up finding out from Shay, though. She was monitoring everything.

And she had to see her tomorrow.

Cora could see that Leoline was not impressed with where Eli was from, even with his subtle attempt at trying to find common ground. She just knew that the moment he returned home, their parents would be learning of the boy Cora was now dating, some hick from the backwaters of Wild Space.

“Oh come on, Leo, I think that’s enough for now, don’t you think?” Cora said with a half-hearted chuckle, knowing deep down what he was probably thinking. And the kind of message she may receive from her parents in the near future.

Leo turned his focus back on his sister. “You can’t blame me for wanting to know more about the man from Wild Space that my little sister is dating.”

The emphasis on where Eli was from did not escape Cora’s notice. “Yes, I can,” she said with a slight smile. “We’re both here with people. I was going to call you and our parents at the end of the week anyways.”

Leo rolled his eyes and pulled Cora in for one last hug. “I will look forward to that call.” He pulled away, as his wife, who watched the entire exchange with amusement, moved back to his side. “Nice to meet you, Eli Vanto.”

~~~

Ah, those two guests.

How he wanted to throw them into the vacuum of space through an airlock.

“If the guests stay much longer, then I shall hope our outing is much sooner than later.” Thrawn wouldn’t hide his disdain for his guests from Eira. Not when she hadn’t the faintest idea of who his guests could possibly be.

“But either way, I did enjoy your company, and I shall hope for another evening again. Maybe even another sparring match?” he inquired with a slight smile and a slight bow as he said his goodbyes. “But for now, I shall let you go to wherever you are needed right now.”

The life of an actress, after all.

Or maybe something more. He still hadn’t figured that out yet, but it did make him entertain the idea of having someone follow her from a distance for one day. Just to see where she goes on a typical day. “Goodbye for now, Eira.”

And with that, Thrawn would continue on his way and back to the ship, where he hoped he wouldn’t run into his ‘guests.’

Cora stepped into the situation then, though Eli could tell she was nervous by the laugh. He could too easily guess why, and it was made even more apparent by the emphasis that Leoline placed on Wild Space. He tried not to bristle, much. He knew it was going to be something of a problem, but it still irked him that it was all Leoline saw.

His military experience didn’t matter.

His family literally running a business didn’t matter.

Just the location, as always.

He forced his posture to stay neutral as Cora sent Leoline off, and still smiled to the man’s wife as she stepped forward. “It was nice to meet you as well, Leoline,” he knew he’d have to get used to the judgment, and changing the minds of Cora’s family. He wasn’t looking forward to it, though.

He wouldn’t let his gaze shift to a glare as soon as the man’s back was turned.

This was Cora’s brother.

He just sighed, “I screwed that up somehow, didn’t I?”

~***~

Eira chuckled at Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s evident disdain for his guests. Yes, she’d certainly need to get an update from Shay. “Maybe,” of course, Ae’lia had no plans to follow up on that, this time. However, she was accustomed enough to telling lies, and slipping into roles – and Eira would just have to be a role around Mitth’raw’nuruodo, now.

“Good night, Mitth’raw’nuruodo,” she inclined her head to him as well, before he walked off, before she went her own way, calling a cab to get back to her home, before she would send out messages to Shay and the others to confirm the time for tomorrow morning, and then busying herself once again with music, before she would fall asleep.

His song still wouldn’t leave her head, no matter how she tried to ignore it.

But sleep did eventually come, and with it, the meeting. Eira wouldn’t hesitate in getting ready for it, planning to arrive early enough that Shay would be the only one there when she arrived.

Cora softly sighed when Eli asked the inevitable question. “No, you didn’t. You did everything perfectly.” It was her brother that messed up by being a typical Core asshole. She loved him, but her entire family could use a little work.

Stars, if she ever brought Eli home to meet everyone…

Poor Eli

Cora rested one hand on Eli’s shoulder and gently squeezed it. “Unfortunately, most of my family share many of the Core biases, even if I’ve tried to teach them otherwise.” She sighed and let go of his shoulder to opt for his hand. “I just know I’ll be receiving a message from my parents before the end of the week now.”

And she could only imagine what they would say. Oh, Coraline honey, we thought you were past your fooling around phase. You need to look for a man with a strong family background.

Even if Eli had all of that, just in Wild Space instead of the Core.

~~~

Their little bubble of relaxation and enjoying one another’s company ended far too soon for Skye’s liking. The harsh noise of the alarm from her datapad roused her from her slumber, and with a gentle nudge to Adlai, she got out of bed to head to her own bathroom to wash and get ready.

She made a promise to Eira, that she wouldn’t be alone in being outed as a Jedi to the group, and Skye would make sure she wasn’t alone. And if Eira and Adlai trusted them all enough, she would trust them with her secret as well.

Maybe it would even be good to finally tell others about who she really was. What role she once played in the Clone Wars.

Once washed and dressed in neutral colors, she went to the living room to see if Adlai was already waiting for her, or if he needed another minute or so. And she was just as nervous then as she was the first time she met the group, though both were completely different situations.

Eli would have to accept that as the truth. He didn’t get the sense that he’d done anything wrong, but there were probably plenty of Core protocols that he wasn’t familiar with. Sure, he knew military protocol, but that didn’t always translate over to Core ones, and he knew that Cora’s brother had quickly decided he was no one worth acknowledging. Sometimes, he really did want a reason besides Wild Space.

Even though he knew, that was rarely the case.

Cora confirmed it was common with her family, too, and that she’d no doubt be hearing about it. “Well, hopefully they’ll come around,” he said, thinking of meeting them in the future as well. Sometimes it took people longer to do that, but if Cora had, certainly it meant some in her family could, as well.

They were the ones who brought her up. One would expect some of their own teachings had actually helped her become more accepting.

He took her hand. “It’s a problem for later, at any rate, right?” They should still try to enjoy this day, before Cora’s family got on her, and before they had to deal with the Inquisitors back on the ship. He really wasn’t looking forward to that. Somehow, he hoped Thrawn had gotten them off the ship, but he knew his luck wasn’t that good.

~***~

The evening had been well-spent in Adlai’s opinion, but it didn’t stop the new day from coming, or all that was going to arise from it. Eira was able to put the meeting off by a day, but that was it, and it did little for his own nerves…and little for Skye’s. Nonetheless, when the alarm went off, and Skye hit it, he got up quickly enough, quietly enough.

He knew Skye wouldn’t delay, but he didn’t want to disturb her more than necessary.

Her nudge had signified that.

He let her leave, and dressed well, but in darker hues. They had to travel down to where Shay was, after all, and that still meant trying not to draw too much attention. When he was prepared, he stepped out to find Skye ready. He gave her a calm smile and a nod, “Let’s hope this goes well.”

Although he suspected there was going to be some harshness to it all.

~***~

Eira was indeed first to arrive, after Shay, of course.

It was what Shay had anticipated, as well.

“You know, I suspected for a while,” Shay said in greeting as Eira stepped into the room, “but it seemed unusual to me that you’d go unrecognized for so long.”

“I’m human,” Eira said with a shrug, “there’s a million out there who look close enough to me. It’s never been hard to find body doubles and stunt doubles, has it?” Eira smiled, though of course, it faded as she came closer, “I’m sorry. I never intended anyone to find out. It’s safer that way.”

“I know,” Shay wouldn’t deny it. “but here we are,” and now they could use Eira to her full potential. “I won’t ask you for much more until the others get here.”

Eira canted her head, “You’re not upset?”

Shay chuckled, “In your shoes, I would have done the same.”

Cora couldn’t imagine what thoughts were going through Eli’s head. That no matter what he accomplished, he would only still be seen as the hick from Wild Space. She wished her family were more like her, and she knew that one day, they would come around.

She would just have to be by Eli’s side while they remained stubborn in the meantime.

Her sister may cave sooner than the others, and maybe her younger brother. Everyone else? They would be a challenge

But for now, they would forget about the inherited prejudices of her family and continue on their day. “I think they will come around one day,” Cora assured him with a smile. She gently squeezed his hand in reassurance that yes, they would accept him sooner or later, but also, it was indeed a problem for later.

For now, they had a date to continue on. A water park that called their name.

And for the rest of the day, nothing else would bother them until whatever task awaited them when they arrived back on the ship. And Cora still knew nothing of the Inquisitors.

“So, water park now?” she offered, already leading him in that direction.

~~~

Skye gave Adlai a strained smile as he stepped out, ready for them to leave. “I’m sure it will go over well enough. It’s the anticipation that’s killing me.” The anticipation of how everyone will react to the news of not only one Jedi, but two in their group.

It helped that she had Adlai by her side, Eira as someone dealing with the same situation, and then Lin already knowing as well of what they are.

She hoped the rest would be just as easy to break the news to, and nothing more will happen.

Skye reached one hand out to gently grasp Adlai’s in a small squeeze, before she would let go so they could go out into the world where they could only be seen as Count and bodyguard. It wasn’t ideal, but it protected them.

And soon, there wouldn’t be a need to hide their relationship any longer. But they just had to wait.

Just as Skye had to patiently wait as they descended down the levels of Coruscant to their meeting location, donned in cloaks they grabbed along the way as to not be seen in such a level they had no business being seen in.

Eli chuckled at Cora’s suggestion, “May as well,” he didn’t really find he wanted to stay in this area too long, if it was where Cora’s brother was hanging out with his family. He’d rather not have other awkward encounters with her family right then. Hopefully, Leoline wouldn’t be planning on going to the pools anytime soon, either.

He was going to need to buy some swim trunks here, so as they stepped into that area, he brought up a map to help direct them towards one of the stores that sold the necessary apparel – as well as where they could get a locker to store their important things.

He couldn’t even imagine the fit that would be thrown if either he or Cora lost their datapads. There were too many important things on it. Not that it couldn’t be wiped from a distance, but still.

The store stood out with a wave design at the front, and Eli almost rolled his eyes at the punny name – Kriller Looks. “I almost want to go to a different store,” though despite being called Kriller Looks, they did have some monotone options that he could see even from afar. “I’ll try to find something quick,” he added as he stepped into the store.

~***~

The anticipation was probably killing plenty, most of those who didn’t know what the meeting was called for. It had been obvious it wasn’t just to discuss how the missions had gone. Adlai didn’t add that. Anxiety all around didn’t often make things any easier for anyone. He just nodded. He completely understood. He was anxious, too. He wasn’t entirely sure what to expect.

He wasn’t anticipating anyone would be upset with two Jedi around.

However, their fears may skyrocket.

Her brief touch was appreciated, and he had squeezed back, before they would leave.

The journey still took its time, but Adlai was pleased to see they were not the last to arrive. It seemed that honor was going to fall to Lin this time around. Not often a surprise, really. Adlai wouldn’t chuckle, though, or make some comment. The tension in the room was palpable, and he didn’t need to ask why.

Even without knowing what was going on, everyone knew this: two Inquisitors were dead, and there were more Jedi out there. They were just soon to find out how many more. So, Adlai stayed quiet as he went to find a seat, giving a brief nod to Eira as he saw her sitting besides Shay. At least it looked like they were still on good terms.

Cora snickered at Eli’s apparent exasperation at the name of the store. It was bad, but she wouldn’t comment on it. It was a good enough store for Eli’s purpose, and that was what was important.

“And I’ll go ahead and get a locker for us,” she added, stepping into the store and in the direction where she saw there were locker rentals. They had too many valuables on them to not get one, such as Imperial-mandated datapads with information that shouldn’t get in the wrong hands.

Not like they couldn’t wipe the datapads clean, but she would rather not deal with a look of disappointment from Grand Admiral Thrawn.

That would not be fun at all.

It didn’t take long for her to get a locker key and a number from the cashier, and after obtaining the key, Cora waited back up at the front of the store for Eli to return from his own purchase.

~~~

The tension was thick in the room, that Skye swore she could’ve cut right through it with a lightsaber. She wouldn’t say anything as she entered, but she did give a smile and a brief nod to Eira as she took her own seat right beside Adlai.

They were still waiting for one more, Lin, who arrived not so long after they did.

And who, apparently, did not quite understand the tension that was in the room. Or rather, he interpreted it as something different. “So, I take it they know about the Jedis?”

Skye wanted to groan and slap a hand to her forehead, but she didn’t. She did, however, send him a glare as no, they did not know yet, and now they knew that not only they had one Jedi, but two in the group. But she would wait to see what Shay or Eira said first, if no one else spoke up.

Eli did begin to browse the store as Cora went off to get lockers situated, examining the many options he had. Mostly, he stuck to the monochromatic options, though. Black wouldn’t be bad, but it was boring. So was olive. In the end, he found a decent pair of dark blue trunks, although he humored a yellow speedo – just for a reaction.

He wouldn’t keep that on. He’d be too embarrassed.

He bought the trunks quickly, and nodded, “Okay, I’m ready – er, to get changed,” obviously he wasn’t quite ready to go on the slides and other fun rides available, but that was what the locker was for. He would let Cora lead the way there, and once it was opened, he’d stuff the important things he couldn’t risk getting wet, into it, before seeking out a changing room.

“You’ll keep the key, right?”

He wanted to make sure – he was willing to keep it himself, just in case she was concerned she might lose it. He figured they’d find a way to get their stuff even if it was lost, they probably had the locker number assigned, but there’d be an annoying fee.

~***~

There was some confusion that followed Lin’s query, moreso with Skye’s glare. “You mean Cal and all the others?” Amita asked, not realizing he meant Jedi in their party. They knew about the Jedi that had been helped, after all.

“No, he means me,” Eira sighed, “Thanks, Lin,” the sarcasm was apparent.

Maege let out a sound of disbelief, not convinced Eira was a Jedi. Needless to say, she’d expected some of that, and let her lightsabers fall into her hands from their place hidden beneath her sleeves. She illuminated the pair of golden blades, and though she looked to Skye, she wouldn’t out her.

“Ae’lia Kore, Counsellor for the Jedi during the Clone Wars,” General during the Clone Wars, “I didn’t want any of you to know due to the risks.”

“Which have increased exponentially,” Shay added, “There are now two Inquisitors on the Chimaera. Thrawn, or Tarkin, is apparently convinced there is a Jedi here in the Rebel group that Thrawn is meant to be looking into.” Eira stiffened as Shay went on, “That’s why his stay on Coruscant was extended.”

She wanted to ask how Shay knew, but she supposed, that didn’t really matter.

“Shay do you have to be a buzzkill immediately? Can we not enjoy the fact we have a Jedi on our side, for five seconds?” Rem asked, rising to their feet, “Eira…you didn’t need to keep that. We would have accepted you. To hell with the risks, we’re all damned by the Empire anyways.”

Cora nodded as ELi returned and she led them over to the lockers - with their locker being number 112. “I can keep the key.” Fortunately the key was on a band that was easy to slip over her wrist, and would be near impossible to notice it missing before she removed it herself.

In the locker she placed her datapad and other belongings besides her swimsuit and a bag she would put her regular clothes into. “Meet back at this locker in a few?” she would ask, and would await an answer before she headed off to the ladies’ changing room and changed into the swimsuit she brought along.

And it was a simple two piece in a dark purple color. No fancy designs, but enough skin showing to hopefully capture Eli’s attention.

He was a man with an interest in her. Of course she would capture his attention with it.

After she dressed, she returned to the locker to place her bag inside, along with making sure her valuables were still in there - just in case. Paranoia wasn’t necessarily a bad thing in such a public setting, and which such valuable electronics.

~~~

Skye didn’t react in any way to Eira’s big reveal, nor did Lin, as they both knew exactly what she was going to say to the group. But Skye was the next one to speak up, as she stood with a sigh.

“But she’s not the only Jedi in your group.”

She stood up, and with a wave of her arms, her cloak fell to the ground as she willed the Force to pull her saber out from hidden in her clothes, and much like Eira, she illuminated the dual-ended saber into its violet hue.

“My real name is Hala Cormin, Jedi Knight and General during the Clone Wars.” Similar to Ae’lia, minus their exact positions in the Jedi Order. “I didn't want anyone else knowing either for reasons similar to Ae'lia, and now I wonder if two Inquisitors is just a coincidence, or if they have any idea there may be more Jedi on Coruscant.” And who those two Inquisitors were exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back