• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Skye had no idea of the base being bugged by Shay, but still, she exercised caution in what exactly she said to Eira. Anyone could overhear, and she didn’t know if someone had particular good hearing, or...anything else that could lead to someone knowing their conversation.

Paranoia was something she was only too used to.

“It concerns the mission.” Arms crossed over her chest, Skye kept her voice low. “Are you prepared to potentially run into an Inquisitor?”

It could be an honest question for anyone. Inquisitors were dangerous, skills unmatched by many. A blaster would hardly phase them.

“Not gonna lie, as far as first missions go, this seems a little daunting,” she added with a dry chuckle. Dealing with Governor Tarkin and the Grand Inquisitor. Anyone would be nervous. “I mean, I have no regrets, but I was curious to know how you plan on approaching this situation?”

~~

Cora stared at Faro for a moment, who seemed to just appear out of nowhere. She didn’t quite blush as much as Eli, but she was a bit flummoxed at the sudden appearance.

“Oh, hey Karyn!” Cora greeted, giving the woman a small smile. As she and Eli had just finished their planning when she showed up, she answered, “Oh no, you’re not interrupting anything.” It was true. They were done discussing the next day, aside from a time to meet.

And based on the redness of Eli’s face, a change in subject was needed.

“How’re you doing? Anything exciting happened while we were gone?”

“Yes.”

Eira’s answer was simple, and concise. Did she want to run into an Inquisitor? Absolutely not. Was she prepared? Yes, she thought that she was. She had hidden in plain sight on Coruscant for years. In an actual disguise? She was certain she could remain hidden from them. “It is not my intent to run across one, nor should it be yours. Avoiding them is preferable.”

For everyone’s sake. They would kill Adlai just as well as Skye. They weren’t the only ones in danger on this mission. Eira had to think of Lin, too. “Your mission is only to get the Lothal group off Lothal. They may require additional aid, but I am fairly certain they have no desire to tangle directly with Tarkin or the Inquisitor.”

They would be fools to want that, and from what Eira had gathered, this was not a group of fools. They had been discovered – and discovered with a Jedi. That was bad luck, but not, necessarily, evidence of being foolish. Some things were unavoidable in situations where everyone had to get out alive.

Eira counted herself lucky for not being discovered. “Only fight where you have to.”

~***~

Karyn Faro had obviously disturbed something, she could tell by the reddened faces and their quick words. This was good. She was certain, this was very good. “Glad I’m not – and no, nothing terribly exciting.” She was unaware of where Thrawn had been, “Well – Eira and Adlai broke up, so there’s hope now, but no.”

That was the most exciting thing in her life – a celebrity she’d barely spoken to had broken up with another.

“How did your mission go?” Faro asked.

Eli sighed, “Not as well as we’d like. We completed it, but there was an interruption,” he wasn’t sure how much he ought to tell Karyn. What were the odds of the rumor spreading from Ortell and Tobias? Actually, pretty good, “Governor Tarkin decided he wanted the prisoner.”

“You don’t have to worry. I don’t try to look for trouble.” A pause. “When it concerns figures like Tarkin and an Inquisitor.” So maybe Skye does occasionally look for trouble, but nothing as big as this. Nothing that could potentially lead to her secret being discovered.

She sighed with a nod in agreement. “I know, and I won’t go seeking a fight.” She knew better than that when it involved the Empire.

Skye may have to remind herself to do only what she and Adlai were sent to Lothal to do, to rescue the rebel team, and do nothing more. She was part of a team now, and she needed to remember that.

“And I know you don’t need it, but good luck, to both you and Lin tomorrow.” She wanted to say their customary Jedi greeting, but she held back. Perhaps another time, not when there were still people in the room.

~~

Cora had wanted to tease Faro more concerning Eira and Adlai breaking up, but the topic was changed easily enough. Back onto their mission. And while it wasn’t exactly a failure. Cora knew Eli felt it was as such because of Tarkin’s interference.

It wasn’t a failure, but it was an annoyance.

“It’s unfortunate, and I can’t imagine Admiral Thrawn was too happy about the news?” She glanced over at Eli, looking for confirmation at her assumption. If they weren’t happy, then Cora couldn’t imagine that Thrawn was. “I still wonder how the governor knew so quickly.”

Eira had already started to lift her brows before Skye clarified that she wouldn’t be looking for trouble in this situation. Eira was already fairly certain Skye didn’t normally shirk from trouble, otherwise. At least here, she was wise enough to attempt to avoid it, which was good for all of them, and the Ghost crew. Hopefully, the Ghost crew wouldn’t be too reckless.

“Thank you,” Eira said, as Skye wished them luck, inclining her head a bit. Perhaps Skye was afraid of such words, but here? “May the Force be with you,” Eira wasn’t so reserved. It hadn’t been limited to Jedi, even back in the day.

It was now associated with Rebel movements, but everyone here was a rebel. Eira didn’t find an issue with saying it – and it was more true to her hopes, than luck. She had a feeling it was what Skye had wanted to say, as well. “You should go prepare yourself as best you can, mentally,” center herself now, to be calm for tomorrow.

~***~

Faro’s brows had lifted with Eli’s news of Tarkin’s involvement, before dropping. She frowned. She wasn’t surprised, especially not as Eli shook his head about Thrawn’s reaction. Of course he wouldn’t be happy, but it wasn’t like Tarkin to interfere with Thrawn’s business. Though, the fact Tarkin knew, somehow didn’t surprise her.

“I mean, he is Grand Moff for a reason, he probably has spies everywhere. Probably knew what you all were being sent to do, before you even got on planet,” perhaps that was giving him too much credit.

Eli didn’t think so. He did consider that a possibility. Tarkin could have found out, and called ahead long before. Let them do the grunt work and then took it from there. It didn’t matter much now; they didn’t have Proserpina, and couldn’t go any further unless they took time to try and find her cohorts.

It wasn’t likely.

Tarkin wasn’t likely to encourage Thrawn to do any further investigating.

“I guess it’s back to normal, then,” Faro said, “Though this being around Coruscant all the time is a bit…boring.” Despite what had happened, the day-to-day routine on the ship was just that. Not terribly exciting when a ship wasn’t moving.

Eli shrugged, “Yeah, but at least it should be helping the Grand Admiral…some.” In theory he was learning more politics and social niceties.

As if she could clearly see what Skye wanted to say, Eira said the very words she was just thinking about. Her shoulders relaxed, and with a smile, Skye uttered them back to her, “Maybe the Force be with you.”

One hand reached out and rested on Eira’s upper arm, before giving it a light squeeze and pulling away. “This will be fun,” she said with a sly smile. Of course she didn’t actually plan on getting herself into trouble on the mission, or do anything to jeopardize the lives of Adlai and the Ghost crew.

Skye turned and made her way back over to Adlai with no trace of concern on her features. Nothing to suggest what she had just confided with Eira. “Are you ready to go?” She gently placed one hand on his arm and gave him a smile.

Eira had been right. Skye needed to go and mentally prepare herself for the upcoming mission. If she didn’t calm her mind down, she may make a fatal error should she see an Inquisitor. Or maybe even Tarkin.

~~

Cora shrugged and made a noise of agreement. Faro was right. Tarkin was indeed Grand Moff for a reason. He probably had some...innate ability to know exactly what was going on in the Empire. Or he just had spies at every level, which was the more likely option.

Unless he already knew of Proserpina and where she would be. That’s preposterous though, right?

But there was nothing they could do about that for now. Or ever, unless the Grand Admiral was considering approaching Tarkin further on the matter.

Cora was so glad she didn’t have to deal with the Grand Moff like Thrawn did.

“It seems that the Admiral has his hands a bit tied at the moment, though I do think I heard a rumor concerning him and Eira hanging out,” Cora mentioned, a curious expression donning her face. Depending on what was happening there, maybe Thrawn really was employing their station above Coruscant to the best of his ability.

‘No this will not be fun.’ But Eira still offered a smile in return to Skye for the hopeful note it carried, all the same.

Adlai had shifted over to talk to Shay a bit while Skye was with Eira, discussing what she knew of the location on Lothal, and anything else he could get from her, before Skye returned to him. He gave a nod to indicate his readiness, and would bid Shay farewell as he went to join Skye.

Lowly, he asked, “You’re okay with this?”

If she wasn’t, he would understand. An Inquisitor was one thing – the Grand Inquisitor, an entirely different thing. Not to mention Tarkin. If she wanted to back out, Adlai would let her. They could find someone else to help – they had enough members here.

Eira moved back to join the main group, many already dispersed to get back to their lives. She had a lot of reading up on Corellia to do, as well. She could already feel a headache coming on.

~***~

Eli, of course, knew this was true. He knew the reason why Thrawn was hanging around with Eira more often, but he couldn’t say that. He was unaware that Faro also knew.

Her downcast expression didn’t help with that, either, “They are,” she still sounded so disappointed. Both that Eira could be a rebel, and that Thrawn was spending time with her when Eira was single. Damn him. “I guess they really get along.” She also didn’t want to say anything about the truth of it.

It had to be secret, after all. “I wonder if that had anything to do with Eira breaking up. Count Malvern isn’t really an Imperial sympathizer….” Eli honestly didn’t understand all of that.

“Supposedly it’s because Eira doesn’t want a family, and Adlai does,” that was how they’d presented it, anyways. They were still good friends, but a relationship wasn’t for them.

No, I am not okay with this,’ but Skye could hardly say that. She was a Jedi, dammit. They weren’t supposed to fear anything, including Inquisitors. She could do this mission. She had to.

To back down on her first one right after being accepted into the group? That would not be wise. It may make Shay reconsider bringing Skye on.

So she kept her smile while she answered Adlai, “Of course I am. Just first time nerves, don’t want to leave a bad impression on everyone.” While Skye never admitted to being the best liar, she didn’t want to admit the truth to Adlai. That she was afraid of what could happen.

There was a chance she wouldn’t even encounter either the Inquisitor or the Tarkin.

~~

“It just all seems so weird,” Cora commented. “She seems to hang out with quite the diverse crowd. Both Imperials and those noted for how they speak against the Empire?” She shrugged. Maybe it was just Eira. Maybe she had that personality that made everyone want to befriend her.

She certainly had captured Faro’s attention.

And the woman certainly seemed crestfallen with the news of Eira and Thrawn. “Hey - I have a few days off. Why don’t we have a girls’ day out if you have the time? Oh, except for tomorrow.” She paused, realizing what she had said, and her eyes glanced to Eli before flickering back over to Faro. “I’ll be busy tomorrow.”

Oh yeah, that’s real smooth. She won’t think anything at all. Well, she was going to find out sooner or later.

Skye was definitely a bad liar, but Adlai didn’t call her on it, just sighed. Anyone would have understood her fears. He understood it better, knowing her history. To be willing to go along with this, as her first mission in a group she barely knew, was brave. Potentially stupid, though of course, Adlai didn’t think so.

Then again, he knew this group.

“Shay wouldn’t willingly send us on a mission she thought we’d fail,” he said, before they stepped out, and were back in the real world once again. They’d have to make their way back up, pick up their cloaks, and then get on their way back to his home.

“But let me know if you need anything, or if there is any way I can help,” he still added that. He didn’t know what kind of things might help prepare her for something like this. He knew he’d be doing a lot of reading on Lothal, and anything he could get his hands on about the rebel crew that was out there, to try and ready himself.

~***~

‘No, it’s because she might be….’ But Eli didn’t say it, of course. He stuck more food into his mouth to keep from saying it, as Faro lit up with the thought of a girl’s day out. It had gone well last time with the gallery, hadn’t it? Until it didn’t.

Maybe they shouldn’t go to the same places as Thrawn.

Or Eira.

One would think that wouldn’t be hard to avoid.

“Why not tomorr—ooooh!” Faro caught the flicker of Cora’s gaze, and with her lingering ‘oh’, Eli felt his face heat a bit. That just made it more obvious.

Karyn put on an impish grin. “I won’t bother you tomorrow at all,” she promised.

If Adlai didn’t quite believe Skye, then he didn’t let it show, except for the slight sigh. She was thankful he didn’t linger on that, though the subject did remain when he brought up Shay. “I figured as much.”

Shay was smart and tactful. She planned everything out carefully like it was a game of holochess. “She seems very intelligent and thoughtful. She may even scare me a little,” she chuckled. It wasn’t a total lie. Their dinner the previous night? Skye swore Shay could read her.

But despite Skye’s false nonchalance of the mission, she greatly appreciated Adlai’s offer. As they stepped back into a world of curious eyes, she took one step away from Adlai, to make sure their closeness didn’t seem suspicious, yet she remained close enough acceptable for a bodyguard.

“Thank you for the offer. Maybe something akin to that good luck kiss may be in order?” she lowered her voice with the question, to ensure no one could overhear her, and her face largely remained neutral aside from the upwards quirk of the corner of her lips.

~~

Cora would’ve felt too embarrassed to say out loud the reason she couldn’t meet with Faro the next day, but the lingering ‘oh’ also succeeded in tinting her cheeks. At least Eli was also blushing.

She didn’t have to suffer alone in Faro’s teasing.

Cora cleared her throat. “Right. Good.” She nodded, as if it was a sealed agreement. “But the day after that? I should be free, so just let me know of your schedule.”

And no doubt Faro would want to hear all of Cora’s and Eli’s date, which she would be willing to give some details. But not all. There were some things she may want to keep just between herself and Eli.

Adlai chuckled at her boldness for speaking out in public. It was unlikely anyone would notice with them both cloaked, “Maybe,” he answered, but of course, would not move to do just that. He was more used to this necessary caution, and would take no actions until they were behind closed and locked doors.

They had a ways to go before they could be public with this.

Unfortunately.

At least she was aware of that. He hoped she could endure that full period.

The trip upwards would at least be without issue, and they would pass by the same place as before, and be able to meet the speeder once Adlai called for it, to get back to his home away from home on Coruscant.

~***~

The curt mannerisms and the blushing was terribly amusing to Faro, but she knew better than to push either of them too far. Not if she wanted details, as well as to go out somewhere with Cora later. So she wouldn’t tease. Much. “I think I’m busy that evening, but I’ll double check,” she said.

She did add, “I do want the details of you two, though. And how you two finally got around to telling each other.” Of course, she knew she had a hand in it.

Eli looked down, “We’ll tell you,” he allowed. They had Faro to thank, partially, after all, “But later.” He wanted to have the date first, and see how it went. He wanted to be more, well, jubilant over it rather than caught.

Thankfully, Karyn nodded, “I get it! But just letting you know – ya’ll owe me this.”

Skye remained quiet for the remainder of the journey back to the upper levels of the planet. There were eyes everywhere, in every shadow. That she was always hyper aware of.

She still hated the act, the false role she had to force herself into in order to survive.

They were nearing home, when a question popped in Skye’s head. “Does your place have a training room?” It seemed silly to not know, after living there a few days, but they had been eventful days, and she wanted to release some of her anxiety before the mission.

Exercise, or beating the shit out of something, always relaxed her.
~~

Cora had every intention of telling Faro the details she wanted, but she was with Eli on when that should be. She wanted the date first, and then allow the girls’ day out a chance to give the details following the hopeful success of the date.

“And I’m sure we can find a way to make it up to you,” Cora teased, allowing a smile small to grace her face at the woman.

Any further thought was interrupted by the pinging of datapads, both Cora’s and Eli’s. Cora frowned and pulled hers out. The message came from Admiral Thrawn. This isn’t very promising.

Please meet me in my office in a few minutes.

Eli received the same message. “I’m sorry, it looks like we’ll have to continue this conversation another time,” she told Faro, already standing up.

This question, at least, Adlai could answer, “Yes, we do,” he answered Skye as the place began to appear before them, “Although it is a public space,” a hint that she may not have it alone, and that it was also likely to be recorded. She wouldn’t get away with as much as she may like to within that place.

Certainly one of the reasons Eira preferred other locations.

Still, they did have a gym, and there were droid foes they could face off against to stay up to par. “We do have droids that are programmed for training that you can use to fight against, so long as you don’t break them. If you break them, you do have to pay for their repairs,” a rule they all lived by. It happened – given the nature of the business that the droids existed in. “There’s also standard gym equipment near that area, too.”

They pulled to a stop outside the home, and he would open the door to let himself out, and then hold it open for Skye, just as well.

~***~

Eli was startled a bit by the ping, not expecting it given he was off-duty. When he saw it came from Thrawn, he felt his mood sinking a bit already. ‘It could just be because of his talk with Tarkin. He could just want more information from us.’ He tried to convince himself of that as Faro looked at them both quizzically.

“Sorry,” he said, rising, picking up his tray, “Grand Admiral Thrawn’s asked for us,” he could assume easily enough that Cora had the same message.

“Oh,” Faro said, then nodded, “Got it. I’ll catch up with you two later,” she still had to go get her own meal to eat. She had stepped on over to talk with them first, so now she could finish up the actual reason she came this way.

Eli nodded, before he’d take his own tray up, and then, with Cora, head to meet with Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Skye quickly understood the hint, and it was of no issue for her. She had to withhold the Force for years, in many different circumstances that included fighting, so doing so again in the public gym would be of no issue. All she wanted to do was release some pent-up stress.

But she wouldn’t say right then that the droids may not make it. Skye was already preparing to pay for those repairs.

“I get it, you break it you buy it,” she said with a smile. Adlai left the vehicle first, and Skye slid out behind him as the door was held open. She would walk slightly behind him as they walked the pathway up to the home, and there was a slight sigh of relief as the door to Coruscant closed behind them.

“What are your plans for now?” She looked over at him, envisioning that Adlai would choose to take a more diplomatic approach to Lothal. Studying the planet. Trying to learn what he could about the current situation. She...could listen to the rundown.

~~

Cora waited for Eli to dispose of his tray, then began to make their way to Thrawn’s office. “What do you think he wants from both of us?” Her mind already began to form a few hypotheses, a few of which led her to think tomorrow’s plans would have to be cancelled.

She could already feel the disappointed building up inside her, but if Thrawn wanted both of them, maybe the mission will be together? Bright side. Look on the bright side.

When they approached the office, Cora stepped up to press the button, letting Thrawn know they were outside.

A migraine was slowly brewing on the edges of Thrawn’s head. The call with Corellia’s senator just ended, and it seemed the unexpected appearance a few days ago was something more than they all brushed off.

The insurgent issue was much more than just a few disgruntled civilians. They could have a full sect of the Rebellion blossoming, and Thrawn needed to put a stop to it before more could come of it.

The sound of a buzz reverberated in his office. Anticipating the arrival of Eli and Cora, Thrawn allowed them in without looking up from a datapad on his desk. “Please, come in.”

Adlai was also grateful to be back within his home. He would lead the way not towards his part of it, but towards the gym, suspecting he ought to at least show Skye where it was, even if she wasn’t going to use it immediately. “I plan to do some reading up beforehand. I’ve never been there before.”

He wouldn’t speak too much in the more public areas of the home. Just in case. People didn’t need to know he was going to Lothal.

He’d figure some sort of lie out later.

“I also don’t know much about the people we’re meeting,” which was important to figure out, so he’d do some reading up over any articles he could get his hands on while he waited, to see what was being said about them.

~***~

Cora and Eli stepped into the office, and Eli could tell immediately by the look on Thrawn’s face, that the news was not good. He would not immediately assume Tarkin, but he was. Still, he approached the desk, and took a seat before it.

“Thank you,” he said, automatically more than anything else, as he situated himself in the chair, “How can we help you?”

He bit back on asking about Tarkin, though his eyes did look over the desk for any sort of hint at what the situation was. As usual, there wasn’t much there to tell. Nothing to indicate Thrawn had been studying anything new, or different, anyways. ‘Are we in trouble with Tarkin?’ He really hoped that wasn’t the case.

Thrawn was usually on Tarkin’s good side – certainly one little issue, or conversation, wouldn’t change that, right?

Skye followed Adlai to the gym, easily memorizing the simple path. It was in the public areas of the home. It wouldn’t be too difficult to remember.

“Are we supposed to know much about the people?” It had been mentioned they were a rebel cell, but did each individual cell know much about the others? There would be safety in the unknown, even if it was annoying. Skye didn’t very much like remaining in the dark about things.

But she knew the importance.

“I’ve been there once before,” she admitted. “But it has been quite some time.” Nothing more than a quick mission after the rise of the Empire. She knew the risks then, and foolishly agreed. Fortunately, nothing came of her momentary presence on Lothal.

“After showing me the gym, were you going to go straight up to read?” Skye inquired with an innocent tone.

~~

Cora held similar worries as to Eli, as Thrawn did not look pleased in the least. His face rested in a position of displeasure she had not quite seen before on Thrawn. She sat in a seat in front of the desk, right next to Eli.

Thrawn wasted no more time before explaining why he summoned them to his office. “Commander Vanto, I am sure you remember an unscheduled visit by the Senator of Corellia?” Of course, how could anyone forget the woman who called him Thrawn’s puppy?

Even Cora remembered this woman quite well, from what she had been told of Senator Pili later that evening.

“The insurgency on Corellia seems to be more dire than we thought.” Thrawn rose to his feet and clasped his hands behind his back. Cora almost interrupted to ask why them, but she bit back the comment. He had reason. Thrawn moved one hand to his desk and pressed a button, bringing up a hologram of a ship.

“Are either of you familiar with the Mantis or its crew?”

Were they supposed to know much? Adlai knew the answer as he chuckled and shook his head, “No, but there’s no harm in it,” he didn’t think. It would be good to know what was ahead of them, after all. At least Skye had some actual experience with Lothal. He did not know if that would come in handy or not, but it was better than nothing.

At her question, he gave a small smile.

He understood what she was asking, “Yes, I do intend to start immediately,” he answered, “I don’t know how much, how little, or how difficult the information may be to locate,” he added, before also noting, “and sometimes…things have to move quickly.”

As in, their mission might get bumped up at the last minute.

It was already odd that they were pushing it this close. Adlai knew that could mean that the Ghost crew might need aid sooner than they were expecting – and they would have to hurry to that aid.

~***~

Eli thought things couldn’t be worse than Tarkin.

He was mistaken.

His expression showed immense displeasure at being forced to recall the Senator of Corellia, and he didn’t bother to hide it. There was no need to. Thrawn knew his exact opinions on that individual. He folded his arms over his chest as Thrawn brought it up again, and their issue. ‘Well, that’s not our problem, now is it?’ He wanted to say .Wasn’t there a moff who could deal with it? Or an Admiral that had that sector to deal with?

He wondered, momentarily, how annoyed Tarkin might be if they acted in Corellia.

Still, he wouldn’t voice that just then as he let out a sigh, “I don’t know anything about the Mantis,” he said, “I’ve heard of it, which is more than I can say about most ships, but I don’t know why.” He had forgotten its significance, or even what kind of ship it was, truth be told.

“I associate it with the Ghost, though.”

He couldn’t recall why, either.

Skye nodded. It would be better if one of them had some idea of what to expect than neither of them. Sure, she could join in the research on Lothal and the crew they were aiding, but she couldn’t imagine sitting still right now.

“Well if things move more quickly than anticipated, you’ll know where to find me.” But first, she would go to her room and get changed into something more appropriate for gym time.

“Or if you want a workout yourself,” she added with a wink. And once she was shown where it was, Skye would head back to the gym to ‘play’ with the training droids.

~~

Eli’s expression of immense displeasure did not escape neither Cora nor Thrawn, but also neither were surprised. Despite only talking to Eli for a few minutes, the Senator left her mark behind on the Chimaera.

Thrawn continued, “Perhaps it would be better said that the crew was more infamous than the ship. The Empire had a run-in with them a few years ago, and on occasion, they pop up on our radar.” Like a minor nuisance, except they had bested on of their best Inquisitors a few years ago

“They can be compared to the Ghost crew in that they are both small rebel cells,” and Thrawn figured that Tarkin was currently taking care of the issue of the Ghost crew on Lothal. “This crew has two Jedi fugitives, Cal Kestis and Cere Junda,” as he spoke, holograms of their images popped up.

Cora’s eyebrows shot up at the news. So, why them? Why not anyone closer to Corellia? As if he could read her mind, Thrawn continued, “The Chimaera is the closest Imperial ship to the Corellian system with the necessary firepower to put an end to this little rebel crew.” He wanted to snuff out the little fire before it could spread even further.

Adlai nodded his understanding. He would indeed know where to find her, but for now, he went into the living quarters of his space and took a seat on the couch. He would set up his datapad to start offering him up the information that he needed on the Ghost crew, as well as Lothal.

At least he was slightly familiar with one of them – Hera Syndulla.

Not well, but he’d crossed paths with the Syndullas enough times through politics, and the Clone Wars. He knew Cham far better, and knew he wouldn’t want to work with Cham anytime soon. He could feel a headache coming at the thought of having to work with his daughter.

The others were relative unknowns, although apparently Sabine Wren had quite the colorful history with the Empire.

Ezra’s parents did, too.

And Zeb…one of the few remaining lasat.

~***~

Eli was not pleased to hear that they were the closest ship equipped to deal with this. He was certain this could wait and someone else could go handle it. There were plenty of Imperial ships, and lightspeed made things so much quicker. Still, he fought back that urge to argue.

At least, on that point.

“Not to doubt you,” he said, “but we’re not exactly equipped to handle Jedi. I thought that was what the Inquisitors were for – shouldn’t we alert them to this and have one of them go?” He was pretty sure that was right, although Eli mostly heard rumors about the Inquisitors.

He’d never dealt with one – he had no desire to actually deal with one, if they were anything like Darth Vader. “How are you planning to deal with this? You aren’t planning to just…fire on them from orbit, are you?” That sounded like it could potentially lead to some serious damage for Corellia, and while Eli might not like the Senator, the people of the planet didn’t deserve that.

Probably.

Once back in her room, Skye changed into an outfit more appropriate for the gym, with simple leggings and a tank. She easily found her way back to the gym, and her sights were immediately set on the training droids.

They didn’t last very long.

The Force was not used once during her training session. She had learned to rely without it for years, and she still kept up with her fighting without it, especially as she needed to remain as discreet as possible.

The training droids definitely needed repairs, and that was when Skye decided she was done with the gym. She walked into the living quarters, and without a thought, crossed the room to sit on the couch next to Adlai, not thinking at all of the light sheen of perspiration that covered her skin. “I owe you new training droids.”

~~

Thrawn didn’t have to look at Eli to feel his disapproval for the entire situation. He wasn’t terribly pleased either, but a chance to not only thwart a rebel cell, but also to capture two Jedi fugitives?

Of course, he wouldn’t let just one Inquisitor deal with this. Thrawn didn’t trust just one to apprehend the entire group, but if they could work together, then there was a chance.

“No, I intend on cornering them.” With their firepower and an inquisitor, they could potentially surround the crew before they escape. “I have contacted an Inquisitor who will assist us, and we will utilize both ground and air support to hinder any chance at their escape.”

Cora felt similar apprehension over the whole ordeal as Eli did. Working with an Inquisitor? Going to Corellia to try and stop a rebel crew? She had nothing more to add to the idea just yet, but she did muse over the idea of requesting to not work with the Inquisitor, if they were anything like Darth Vader.

Or to call in her vacation days a little early.

Adlai had started to read through what details there were of the Ghost’s exploits on Lothal, learning that most of their missions were transport ones. They had unfortunately gotten caught in the midst of all this by the Empire. It hadn’t really been their intention, obviously, although Hera Syndulla was a known rebel for a while.

That was when a message from Shay arrived, indicating they would indeed have to leave early.

The situation on Lothal, and apparently, on Corellia, had changed.

Adlai sighed, but wouldn’t go to disturb Skye. She eventually returned, and he looked over at her with a smile. “I’m glad they gave you something of a workout,” she was still shiny with sweat, “I don’t have good news,” he said, smile diminishing a bit, “Shay has reached back out. We’re leaving in the next few hours.”

So were Eira and Lin, of course.

It was a pity he wouldn’t have longer to read up on things, but he had at least expected it. Things like this were…unpredictable.

~***~

At least Thrawn had contacted an inquisitor. Eli wasn’t sure that was any better, though. Working with an inquisitor wasn’t high on Eli’s list of things to do, ever. They had a reputation, notoriously difficult to work with, and also outside of the chain of command. Thrawn would not be able to control them.

Thrawn might even get killed for it.

There were enough horror stories about the officers that Vader killed. Eli didn’t think the Inquisitors were any less temperamental than Vader. “For the record, I don’t think this is a good idea,” Eli said, if only so when this was all over, it would have been said. For better or worse. And, really, he was hoping Thrawn was right and this ended up being a major victory for them. He didn’t want an ‘I told you so’ in this situation.

He could already feel that everything about this was putting them on thin ice.

“However, I will assist if that’s what you’re requesting,” he sighed. “In any way I can. Just let us know when, and how to prepare.” Eli had no idea how one prepared for an opponent that used the Force. He’d received some basic training to help withstand the ‘Jedi Mind Trick’, but not much else.

He also wasn’t sure how effective that kind of training was.

While Skye had hoped for a bit longer before their mission to better mentally prepare herself, she was not surprised by the news Adlai delivered. She heaved a sigh, “I should go get ready then.” She still dripped in sweat, and she would use the time alone to try and meditate. To center herself.

She could do this. She knew she could.

One hand lowered to rest on Adlai’s arm. “Did you find anything of interest in your research?” Though not much time had passed since they came back, he still could’ve found something of use in his readings on Lothal. Anything to better prepare them or gain a small advantage over the Empire.

Skye doubted it

~~

If Eli thought he was being stoic in his internal thoughts, he was mistaken. Thrawn could see the displeasure in him, and also in Cora.

Lieutenant Commander Suvan tended to wear her heart on her sleeve a bit more, and thus, he could read her discontent a bit easier.

He would say nothing to either about that. Overall, it was a very precarious situation that unfortunately had to be dealt with swiftly.

A faint hint of a smile twitched at the corners of his lips. “I would not expect you to find this a good idea.” And for anyone else, it may have been a suicidal mission. But for Admiral Thrawn? It may just be a test of his abilities.

“But yes, I am requesting a team to accompany me, and after analyzing what happened on Cartao, I have chosen you two, along with Ensigns Tobias and Ortell.” Cora had been slightly surprised, considering she felt that mission ended in failure, but they had captured Proserpina, before Tarkin took over. And in a very short timeframe.

Thrawn continued, “We will be leaving in a few hours, and I will be notifying the Ensigns of the mission very shortly.” Then, his eyes softened just the slightest, as he recalled what Eli had mentioned to him earlier. “I will ensure that the four of you get that time off soon that I promised.”

Adlai could only offer a sympathetic smile and a nod as Skye indicated she ought to get ready. She should. He should, too, for that matter. That meant he’d need to actually sleep, of course. He could read up more on the way to Lothal. At least, he hoped he could. Stars only knew what Shay had planned.

“Not terribly much, just a bit more about the make-up of the group. Hera Syndulla seems to be the leader. There’s also a Mandalorian – Sabine of House Wren,” he offered. There were a few others, of course, notable in their own ways, but she already knew enough about the Jedi, and Zeb, while interesting for what he was, didn’t much stand out to Adlai beyond that.

More research was needed.

“Don’t forget to sleep,” he added to her, “you’ll need to be well-rested before we go,” he knew they would both likely stress over this, but they had to be prepared – and stressing so much it interfered with sleep wouldn’t help.

~***~

Eli Vanto knew he was going to be invited along on the mission. Thrawn wouldn’t have asked for both him and Cora, if he wasn’t planning on having them both go with him. He might have invited Eli alone, simply to tell him the situation, if he didn’t plan on inviting Eli. Alas, no such luck. And it seemed poor Ortell and Tobias were being roped into this, too.

Eli let out a sigh.

Just when he’d told them they were all getting time off. “You’re going to make me look bad now.” He told Thrawn pointedly, but he knew they would all go along to help Thrawn. That was why Eli did think he liked Ortell and Tobias.

They were willing to adapt to the situation.

“I’ll make sure to be ready,” he said, because of course he wasn’t going to deny this, no matter how unhappy he was about the change in situation. “Are we taking the Chimaera, or a smaller vessel?” He still didn’t know Thrawn’s actual plan. He just hoped it didn’t get them all killed.

A Mandalorian. That one stuck out at Skye the most. Their days of conflict were far over, though, but she couldn’t help but wonder what this Sabine’s thoughts on Jedis were.

Hopefully the woman wouldn’t find out that Skye was a Jedi.

She pecked his cheek, then sighed and stood up. “If I can sleep, that is.” Jitters. Nerves. Maybe some excitement? She was finally working with a group she was slowly warming up to and starting to trust. It would be interesting to see how they could work together in dangerous situations.

She started to walk in the direction of her room, before she paused and looked over her shoulder at Adlai. “Maybe I need someone to make sure I am resting before we leave.” Skye sent Adlai a wink and continued on her way.

~~

Thrawn allowed some confusion to filter over his expression before he smoothed his face back into a cool facade. Eli wasn’t the one assigning the others on the mission, so why would he look bad?

Maybe it was some basic phrase he didn’t understand. And Thrawn wouldn’t allow himself to linger on that thought for the moment.

He reached one hand out to turn off the holoprojector on his desk. “No, the Chimaera must remain over Coruscant. Besides, it may spook the insurgents and give them time to flee the planet.” Two Jedis wouldn’t remain on a planet with an Imperial Stardestroyer for long. They needed the element of surprise. “We will be taking a smaller vessel from Hangar 12.” Where they will meet in a few hours.

Cora felt some sorrow over having the next day planned with Eli to be cancelled, but she felt more trepidation and caution over their mission. Inquisitors? Jedis? Rebels? On Corellia? It was quite a jump from criminals on a jungle planet.

“I will send you a message an hour before we are scheduled to depart,” Thrawn assured. “For now, it will be best to rest up.”

Adlai could empathize with Skye’s distress. For her, it had to be a significant amount. This was her first mission with them, and she was trusting them on a mission with the Grand Inquisitor involved. This wasn’t a walk in the park for Adlai, either, but he was used to missions, and used to this kind of life, by now.

He certainly wanted more a simple peck on the cheek, but he wouldn’t do much more than turn his head, and miss her as she got up to go prepare herself for the night.

He caught her playful wink and chuckled to himself, “I will,” although he hoped he would find her resting once she had settled down.

He might have asked for her company that night, if she hadn’t already started off, but as with the kiss, he was too late for that, too.

Too focused on his work, which he would return to, for now.

But he would make a point of going to check on her, before he went to bed, in about an hour.

~***~

Eli hadn’t actually expected the Chimaera to go to Corellia, but he didn’t imagine a smaller ship would do much good in stopping the Jedi from leaving. He didn’t see how they were providing aerial support. ‘Are we?’ No, it sounded like they were going to be on the ground. With the Inquisitor.

Fun times.

Eli managed not to groan, but he did nod at the end. They should rest. They were going to need it. He had wanted to rest before to be ready for his date with Cora – and have time to do a few things prior to it – now he had to rest simply because he was going on a mission against Jedi of all things.

‘I didn’t sign up for this.’

Not directly, anyways.

“All right,” he sighed, “Is there anything else you need, Grand Admiral?” He was resigned to this.

Deeming her need for a hot shower more vital, Skye resisted the temptation to bound back to the living area. The steaming water in the shower relaxed her muscles as she stepped in. She lingered in the shower longer than she had anticipated as her mind had wandered over the possible scenarios for Lothal.

They had done plenty of dangerous missions before. Including Adlai. Including you. There is nothing to worry about.

Once finished with the shower, Skye dried herself off and slid on clothes comfortable to sleep in. She didn’t know how much time she spent in the shower, and instead of delving into the soft sheets on her bed, she sat on top of them, legs crossed and hands resting on her knees.

Close your eyes. Deep breaths. Center yourself.

Meditation wasn’t something she did often, but this situation required it. Skye needed to see that her worries are for nothing, that she could trust her allies, and that they will all return unharmed.

~~

If...when their mission was a success, Thrawn owed Eli something. He didn’t know what at the minute. A big favor? Extended vacation time? Something to think about later.

For now, he needed to think about Corellia.

“No, that will be all. You two are dismissed.” They needed time to rest, and they will get that small reprieve for a few hours. He offered them a small, parting nod.

Cora stood, gave him a nod in respect, before turning to the door and leaving the office. She would wait for Eli just a few feet from the door. No doubt they both would want to discuss these...unexpected circumstances that will delay their date to another day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back