• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Adlai did get up to head for rest after the hour had passed, planning to wake up early enough to get in a shower. It would help him feel awake. If he did it now, it would have the opposite effect. He didn’t know how, or why, it worked that way, but it did. Probably because he’d make it too warm now. At least in the morning he’d be smart enough to make it cold.

He did approach Skye’s room, and didn’t think to knock, lest he wake her. That was the last thing he wanted.

He didn’t expect to find her meditating, but he supposed that wasn’t a surprise, either.

It meant he wouldn’t be wishing her good night, though – and he would hope he hadn’t disturbed her meditation as he quietly backed out, and shut the door once more, wincing a bit at the small sound it made on shutting, before he’d head to his own room.

Things were going to get interesting soon.

~***~

Eli rose with the dismissal order and inclined his head, “Thank you, Grand Admiral,” this was a lot to think about. A lot to prepare for, even if he had no idea how to do that, besides rest. He could be bitter, or angry, with Thrawn for getting involved where it was unnecessary, but he wouldn’t. Not now, anyways.

This was important to the Empire.

Cora waited a bit for him, and he looked over to her as she fell in step. “Well. I don’t think either of us could have predicted that.” Not by a longshot. Jedi. Of all things. “I don’t suppose you know anything about dealing with Jedi?”

Did anyone know that, besides Inquisitors?

“Or the Force?”

They were all going to die on Corellia.

Skye had been deep in her meditation, that when Adlai came in, she didn’t immediately notice, but she was gently pulled from her thoughts. A frown gently tugged on her lips as she felt him walk away.

That’s not what she wanted.

She stayed on the bed for an extra moment, teeth gently biting her lip, before she slid off and stood up. It was funny, how she was so used to being alone, but after only a mere few days, Skye didn’t want that anymore. You have been spoiled.

Skye left her room and walked to Adlai’s room, which wasn’t far. At the door, she paused, and decided to gently knock on the door. It still felt weird to walk in his room unannounced.

~~

Cora looked at Eli as he caught up to her, and a sad smile crossed her face. “I agree, that was...definitely unexpected.” The fact that Thrawn looked further into the Corellian issue. That they would be facing Jedi.

She just wanted to get back to her programs.

“No, I don’t know anything about them, or the Force.” Cora knew that the Jedi all supposedly were killed for treason, but with the involvement of the Inquisitors, some were still out there. Two in this rebel cell.

She sighed, her shoulders slumping. “I know this mission is important, but I’m disappointed that we have to reschedule tomorrow.” Cora had been looking forward to spending the day with Eli outside of work.

Adlai had only just started disrobing to change into his pajamas when he heard the light knock on his door. He was quick enough to finish pulling his pants up, before he went to the door. It wasn’t as if he expected anyone other than Skye, but it still seemed odd to greet her sans pants.

He did greet her with a smile, that shifted to a slightly confused expression, “Is everything all right?” He was now more concerned he had disturbed her meditation, although she didn’t look unhappy with him, at least. He did find himself almost automatically stepping aside to allow her room to step in.

“I apologize if I should have knocked first – I didn’t want to disturb you if you were sleeping,” he added.

She had knocked. Perhaps he should have done that with her room before entering. He would have done so under other circumstances, if he was hoping to find her awake, anyways.

~***~

Eli hadn’t really expected Cora to know more about the Jedi. There weren’t many that did, not even those from before the Jedi Purge. The Jedi had always kept to themselves, and kept much of their habits and their ways secret. Eli could still remember some complaints that followed the fall of the Jedi, about kyber, and its uses.

Things the Jedi hadn’t allowed the galaxy to have. Things that now helped the galaxy immensely, in so short a time period.

“Yeah…I am, too,” Eli agreed. He didn’t want to go on the mission at all, but he wouldn’t abandon Thrawn, either. “After the mission we can reschedule it,” he said, “and maybe we’ll be able to think of some better ideas, too,” he offered.

They’d have a little more time to think about it, at any rate.

The door opened, and Skye was eye level with a sight she did not expect, but she was also not displeased with it. Adlai’s shirtless torso caused her mind to blank and to nearly miss what he asked her. Can I ask him to just not wear a shirt whenever we’re alone?

She didn’t see why not.

Skye flickered her eyes back up to his face, and a light small crossed her features as she stepped into the bedroom, fingers itching with the urge to run across his chest. “Oh yes, everything is alright.” And she certainly didn’t mind that he didn’t knock before entering her room.

“I was kind of hoping you would have stayed.” Skye took a step closer to Adlai, and she couldn’t help but to rest one hand on his chest as she looked up at him. “Would you mind if I stay with you tonight?” Her eyes flickered down and back up at his face. “I certainly wouldn’t mind if you don’t put on a shirt.”

~~

Cora smiled at Eli. “Yeah, maybe we will.” The waterpark sounded fun enough to her, though, and she had admittedly been looking forward to seeing Eli in a bathing suit.

Another time. Damn Thrawn.

“We still have a few hours before this mission,” Cora started, halting her steps to turn to face Eli. “We can do something together, if you want.” If he didn’t want to relax and rest alone. “Such as hanging out in one of our quarters, maybe with a game or a movie?”

Some time alone in a familiar space. It could give them something until they were able to get a day or two off after the Corellia mission.

Adlai wasn’t displeased in the least by Skye’s reaction, even if he hadn’t been sure what to expect. A smile crept onto his lips as she reached out for him, stating that he had chosen the wrong action. He should have stayed, should have taken the hint from her earlier wink, but he had gone with seeing her meditating and decided against that.

“Forgive me, I didn’t think it was prudent to disrupt you,” he requested.

Warmth seeped out from where her hand rested, “I desire your company,” he said plainly, “I would have asked, but you were too quick to head away,” and he was still too slow at catching up to this new reality of having an actual partner.

Still, he didn’t want any misunderstandings there.

He much preferred Skye to stay with him. “I think I can leave the shirt off.” He’d be warm enough as it was, “Just this once,” he lifted his hand to hers, to pull her along with him towards the bed.

~***~

Eli’s brows lifted in surprise as Cora invited him to hang out with her. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to. Stars knew he did, but he bit down on the inside of his cheek as he tried to think of a way to deny it that wouldn’t absolutely ruin things.

He hesitated probably too long, “I—I want to, but we just got back from the mission, and I…I don’t want to mess this one up because I haven’t slept and I’m not alert enough,” which, he knew, if he went with Cora, there wouldn’t be any sleeping even if there was also nothing unchaste to speak of.

Even if it was just more getting to know each other.

“I don’t really know what’s waiting for us on Corellia, and I don’t know the Inquisitors…I’m sorry,” he felt immensely guilty for refusing and bowed his head.

Adlai was ever the gentleman in his response and reasoning. He hadn’t wanted to disturb her, and erred on the side of caution to simply return to his room. Skye smiled warmly, “You wouldn’t have distubred me. Besides,” her eyes flickered back to his chest for a second, “I wouldn’t mind getting interrupted if you were dressed like this.”

Not one bit.

She easily followed him to the bed, warmth seeping from his hand on hers. “I’ll just have to remember to walk slower in the future then, and give you a chance to catch up.” Her tone was slightly teasing. Once they reached the bed, she moved on it and made sure Adlai had room as well.

“Hopefully you will leave the shirt off more than just this time. Really, I wouldn’t complain if you decided to forego the shirt whenever it’s just us.” Skye knew that wouldn’t happen, but it never hurt a woman to try.

~~

Cora bit the inside of her cheek as she waited for Eli to answer. She didn’t regret asking, but his hesitation made her wonder if she was trying too hard too fast, or if he was getting any wrong ideas about her intentions.

Then he did answer, and admittedly she was a bit disappointed, but Eli’s response made complete sense. They had just finished up one mission and needed to rest before another. Rest without distractions, even if it was just talking.

Cora could see he felt bad for his answer. “Hey, it’s okay.” She rested one hand on his cheek. “I should have considered those factors before asking. We do need to rest and be physically and mentally prepared.” Ready for anything thrown at them.

“And after the mission? We’ll finally get to go on that date, and I think the wait will be worth it.” She winked, and hoped her words lightened the mood again.

Adlai laughed a bit, “Well, I wasn’t dressed like this when I went to check on you,” he’d been dressed in his clothes, “but I’ll keep it in mind,” it wasn’t uncomfortable to go around like this, but he did still happen to enjoy the feeling of his silky pjs all the same.

Not compared to her hands, of course.

Another thing to keep in mind with his choices.

As Skye made herself comfortable, he would follow suit and get into his own bed, though he lingered a moment once she had nestled down to lean over her and press a kiss to her lips, after she made her comment about how he ought to dress, “Are you saying I can’t go out in public like this?” He teased back, laying down besides her.

It obviously wasn’t his way, nor would it ever be, likely, thankfully, for her. He didn’t know if she might get bothered over it. It might have been amusing to see.

Perhaps on a beach one day she might get a bit worked up.

~***~

Eli lifted his head with the touch, seeing that Cora did forgive him. She might be disappointed, of course. That was to be expected. She had wanted another answer. Eli had wanted to give another answer, but he knew he needed to sleep before this mission, and try and be as prepared as he could be for it.

A few hours wasn’t much time if they spent most of it awake and talking.

He still grinned a bit foolishly at her wink. “We’ll make sure it is,” he agreed, “Thrawn owes us,” he said. Thrawn knew what he was interrupting. Although, he supposed, Thrawn didn’t really owe them…Thrawn usually had a better sense of responsibility than most officers.

And he cared about his subordinates.

“I’ll see you in the morning, at least,” he offered, “and we’ll be together through this.”

And die together.

Okay he had to stop thinking that way.

“I can at least walk you to your room?” Okay, that was some cheesy Academy line there. Damn it.

Skye easily pressed into the kiss, and once Adlai laid down next to her, she readjusted her body to get closer, her hand once again resting on his chest. It felt nice.

“I certainly would mind if you went out in public like that, but I think you would give the press a field day,” she chuckled. And she doubted she would be able to keep her hands off of him, another reason to give the press a field day.

She rested her head on a pillow, eyes looking at him. “But if you have the sudden urge to go shirtless in public, please let me know beforehand.” To stop him. Or watch him. Or both.

~~

Cora’s reassurance seemed to have made Eli perk up, and she couldn’t help the smile on her face at his own infectious one. While Thrawn did indeed owe them, she wouldn’t dare ever say that to the Grand Admiral. She wasn’t as familiar with him as Eli was, and she would like to keep her job.

Eli can tell him.

She nodded. “Yes, together, just like we were on Cartao.” And just like Cartao, they would get through this, and hopefully with very little incident, though, that, she doubted. This was Corellia, with Jedis and Inquisitors.

It would be an interesting time.

Cora didn’t consider how cheesy the question may have been. All she could think was that Eli still wanted to spend as much time together as they can before separating for the few hours. “I would like that,” she answered and began to lead them the way to her room.

Adlai moved his arm over Skye, resting his hand over her shoulder, and letting his fingers trail a bit down her back. It was unusual, this sleeping with another person. Not bad, just unusual with how long it had been. He couldn’t help the tired smirk as she noted she would care if he did it.

“I will certainly give you fair warning, should I choose to engage in such an act,” he promised, though he doubted it. The press was one reason to avoid it, among others. He just didn’t really need that kind of attention, in general.

He’d rather have people staring at his capes.

His capes were cool and worthy of admiration.

“I think for now this is enough,” he allowed.

~***~

Then Eli would happily accompany Cora to her room, before he would have to depart for his own. He didn’t think this would be as smooth as Cartao, but then again, probably Thrawn wasn’t even thinking that. ‘Well….’ Eli could only sigh internally.

He’d supposedly known this Skywalker.

He remembered something to that effect being mentioned when he first met the Emperor.

Maybe he knew something about Jedi culture that could help them get out of this mess.

“I don’t suppose you’ve ever been to Corellia before?” He asked. They might not know anything about the Jedi, but maybe she knew more about Corellia besides just…crime.

Damnit Thrawn.

The mere pressure of Adlai’s fingers on her back, even with the barrier of clothes, gave Skye tingles in that area. It had been too long since she had laid with someone like this, soft and almost vulnerable. She would be content if the moment never ended.

“You are indeed a noble knight,” she teased, and her fingers trailed absentmindedly in small circles on his chest. “Warning me so I could prepare myself for such a scandalous act.”

She, too, preferred him to make a statement in his capes. He looked like the noble he was in them, and she may want to steal one for herself.

“Agreed, though you won’t hear me complain if there was less on,” another sly tease, as Skye knew nothing would happen between them that night. Nothing could, really. They needed to sleep and rest.

~~

Cora nodded at Eli’s question. “Yeah, a few times. My father often has to travel there for work, and sometimes the family would accompany him.” Working with the Empire at the shipyards in Coronet City, having his family with him always looked great.

“Obviously, the reputation of Corellia isn’t the best,” she admitted, “and so we always stayed within the more affluent areas.” Areas that they most likely won’t be seeing tomorrow. Rebels wouldn’t hide amongst the wealthy.

But she remembered as a child, she never particularly cared for her visits to Corellia. The crime was there, even if she never saw it, and she had always been worried that something would happen to her family while there.

And now they have a mission there.

“What about you?”

Adlai wouldn’t have complained much if Skye had less on, either, but he knew, as she did, it wasn’t for tonight. They kept having more important things to do, for which they needed sleep – and he hardly wanted their first time to be a rushed job when there was so much of her he wanted to have time to explore. “Mmmm…maybe next time,” maybe when this business was over with.

They’d need to celebrate, right?

“With good wine, and nice candles, and the better sheets…,” he started to mumble a little as one of his fingers lazily traced a circle on the back of her shoulder, “I don’t have better sheets but I can get some,” a little chuckle.

Like the ‘good dishware’.

All of his dishware was good.

So were all of his sheets, for that matter.

But why not make it more special, anyways? “I’m sure no one would notice if we were…a little late getting back,” maybe so, but no one was going to say anything about a little delay, or a little ‘being out of touch’.

~***~

“Mm, that makes sense,” why Cora was there, and he nodded as she spoke of it. He had never been there in the trading business, but his family hadn’t really dealt in ships. Just goods. They didn’t buy their ships from Corellia, either. No real need to go all that far and waste that kind of money.

He did shake his head at her question, “Not really. I mean, we’ve been there,” meaning himself and Thrawn, of course, “but we never really went beyond the shipyards, and the Grand Admiral didn’t much care for them.”

It was why he was looking at other areas for his projects, like the TIE defenders. He didn’t trust or like Corellia, so far as Eli knew, and wanted his projects taken better care of. Eli didn’t think he’d landed on a place just yet.

Nothing he’d heard of, at any rate.

“So I can’t really say much about it, except for what everyone knows, which is that it’s steeped so deep in crime that the Empire can’t even manage it.”

Which he didn’t want to believe, “But I think we’ll have it handled in the next few decades,” the Empire had hardly been given a chance, after all.

Skye grinned at the thought of a romantic evening after completing their mission. “Oh, that sounds very nice.” She didn’t think he could get nicer sheets though. They already felt nice enough, and she couldn’t even begin to guess their thread count.

“Oh, I don’t think you have to worry about finding better bed sheets,” she chuckled. “These are perfect.” But she did hope he had more nice sheets to replace these while they were being cleaned after their night together.

There was another soft chuckle. “Maybe we should turn our datapads off. Just in case.” They didn’t need the mood ruined because Shay wanted to know where they were. Skye may give her an answer that may cause some reddening faces.

~~

So Cora had been the only one of the two of them to have truly seen Corellia, as one could hardly count the shipyards as being on the planet. They would both have an...interesting adventure.

Maybe a quick review of the cities should be in order.

Cora nodded her agreement at Eli. “I think so too. My father mentioned that the Imperial shipyards have been adding more jobs.” Jobs meant credits, which meant less reason to turn to crime. Of course, the Empire still had the issue of the Crime Syndicates to deal with. They were a large reason for the planet’s crime and corruption.

Eventually, Cora paused in front of her door, a bit disappointed. She had wanted to talk with Eli more, but they would see one another soon enough. “Thank you for walking me back,” she said with a smile.

Adlai chuckled, “Or at least on silent,” if not all the way off. He definitely agreed with the sentiment behind the consideration, though. They didn’t need to be interrupted. He let his eyes shut, “You should sleep, Skye.”

So should he.

That was why he was closing his eyes, though. He was going to try and sleep with her present. It would likely be a little distracting, but that was worth it. At least it wouldn’t be as distracting as it could be. His thoughts would go ignored for now, for a later time.

With better sheets, and good wine.

Not in a few hours, on Lothal, with nothing but hope to come out of it alive.

They would, of course. Adlai did have that hope, and hope that these pleasant considerations of that future would still be held to the same desire as they were now.

~***~

Ideally, the cashflow would indeed help to combat the crime issues. It would take time to disband the major organizations, but it would happen as they lost supporters and people to use. It would just take time, but Eli believed that one day, the Empire would succeed in making sure these sorts of scum were gone.

‘I wonder if the Jedi are working with them?’

They’d find out soon.

Eli nodded as they reached Cora’s door, “Of course,” he would walk her back any time, for a few extra minutes. They needed to sleep, but…this wasn’t a terrible delay. “I’ll see you in the morning, Cora,” he said, stepping back.

He would have rather walked her back after a first date. Experienced the question of whether or not he should kiss her with that context behind it. He knew it wasn’t there. Not right now.

But next time.

After Corellia.

Skye lightly chuckled, agreeing with Adlai. Silent would be better than nothing, and maybe get them in less trouble with Shay if she needed to contact them. Just as long as no one interrupted them.

“Okay,” she mumbled, eyes closing as Adlai’s scent and warmth lulled her into a comforting sleep, with thoughts of a pleasant evening waiting for them.

And hopefully that pleasant evening would turn into many.

That next morning would come too soon, as the beeping of a datapad stirred Skye awake. Moaning, she stretched her arms upwards. “I want to file a complaint against that noise,” she grumbled.

~~

Cora smiled and nodded. “I’ll see you then, Eli.” She had hoped he would linger behind for just a moment. She had hoped he would have kissed her, as if they did come back from their first date. Or at least a peck on the cheek, similar to the one she gave him in the hangar.

Oh well. It would be one more thing to look forward to after their mission to Corellia.

Cora wouldn’t stay awake much longer once she entered her room. She quickly stripped herself of her uniform and put on pajamas, determined to get as much sleep as she could before Thrawn called for them.

And Thrawn would do so early that morning. Too early, in Cora’s opinion, as she received the alert from her datapad. I don’t normally get up this early on my shift days. But she wouldn’t complain. She would get up, get dressed, and make herself presentable for the mission.

Once ready, Cora headed for the hangar, wondering who many others would be accompanying them on this mission, or if Thrawn truly thought just a small handful of officers would be enough.

Adlai would not fall asleep so easily, though he would close his eyes and play at it, until he did, at last, drift off. It wasn’t to last, of course. The alarm he’d set would eventually go off and disturb them both from resting. He couldn’t help but groan as he rolled onto his back and looked over at the offending device.

“Your complaint is noted,” he muttered as he reached over and turned the alarm off, before stretching, and sitting up. He smiled down at Skye, wishing they could linger longer in the moment.

He would lean over her briefly to place a kiss to her forehead, “Good morning,” he whispered, voice still touched with sleepiness, before he would straighten up again and move off the bed. He had to start getting ready, even if he wouldn’t be donning any fancy outfits.

He’d have to wear whatever Shay got for him.

So, for the moment, he’d have to dress lightly.

~***~

Eli wasn’t surprised at the early hour he was woken, but he wasn’t happy about it, either. Still, he woke without complaint, and pulled himself together, grabbing a ration bar and a cup of caf on the way to the hangar. He was sure he’d have enough time to drink it, even en route to Corellia. It was close, but there was still enough time for that.

He arrived at the hangar and noted which ship seemed to have the most activity near it, “G’morning,” he greeted Ortell and Tobias as he saw them, a note of apology hanging in his tone.

Thrawn might not understand if Ortell and Tobias resented Eli a little for this trip, but Eli would absolutely understand.

He saw Cora arriving as well, and brightened a bit, “Good morning,” that was a little more chipper. He couldn’t quite help that, even if the morning could have been improved significantly by not having this mission.

~***~

Eira had anticipated many things with the mission to Corellia.

Two of them she did not, and these had stirred Shay to act immediately.

The first was her costume was that of an Inquisitor – notably, she was playing the role of First Sister of the Inquisitorius, as apparently the actual First Sister had been summoned to Corellia now.

By Grand Admiral Thrawn.

It would take more time for the actual inquisitor to get there, a fact Thrawn was unlikely to know, which was the only advantage they had in Eira taking on the role and donning attire that almost made her feel sick.

And still, she did it, with Lin in Purge Trooper uniform.

And once she was in the ship with Lin, once it was in lightspeed, she began to dismantle the prop lightsaber, and adapt the parts of it for her actual lightsabers.

“Don’t tell Shay about this part,” Eira said, although she had a feeling that this was the mission where her secret within the group fell apart. The second she had to light up golden blades, it was all over.

At least right now, they were in a junk ship that would probably be trashed once it was brought back to Coruscant. Assuming they could even leave Corellia in it.

Skye smiled up at Adlai. “Good morning.” The seemingly intimate gesture of the forehead kiss caused her to still for a moment. No one had kissed her forehead like that since Kai, but she welcomed the comforting warmth it brought.

She sat up and looked at Adlai as he began to move and get ready. “Such a shame we have to get dressed,” she said with a small smirk. “I’m really enjoying the view from here.” Of her watching Adlai’s back as he moved around. Now if only he didn’t have the pants on…

Shame.

But they had to get moving. Sighing, Skye moved off the bed. “Shall we meet in the living room in a few minutes?” She would still need to go to her own room and get dressed, but that wouldn’t take much time. And, Skye had remembered they mentioned disguises, so no matter what she chose, it would need to be swapped.

~~

Ortell and Tobias both looked tired, and each had a giant mug in their hands filled with hot caf. Neither had been terribly pleased with the message from Thrawn about the unexpected mission, but they could never deny a request from the Grand Admiral. And he had specifically sought them out again, instead of anyone else.

They would be fools to turn him down.

So when Eli came in and greeted them, they both gave a slight nod. “Morning,” they said in near perfect unison.

Cora then walked in and smiled, her mood improving at seeing Eli. “Good morning,” she said to all three. She didn’t get a chance to say anything else before their Grand Admiral walked into the hangar, hands clasped behind his back and uniform as crisp as ever.

It was obvious he didn’t feel the same tiredness as the others did.

“I thank you for being here on such short notice. Now, we mustn’t waste much time.” He gestured to their shuttle, where several stormtroopers would join them. Several other ships were also being prepared to follow them to Corellia.

~~

Lin appreciated black on him, but the Purge Trooper uniform was not it. Similarly to Eira, he felt disgusted, and slightly unclean, but it would, or should, allow them to accomplish what they needed to do on Corellia with relative ease.

The Lin everyone knew was not on the ship headed to Corellia. He was more serious, more focused on the mission, for one slip-up could cost them everything. And he knew this.

Although staring out of the viewport, movement caught his attention, and he looked to see what Eira was doing. His eyes widened at what she was doing with the lightsaber. “Umm, whatcha doing there?” It was obvious that she was switching out weapons, in a way, so that hers would be coming along with them instead.

“I don’t think I have to tell her, because she will most likely find out on her own. Are you sure you want to do this?” It would oust Eira to the group, and while he knew they would all accept her, she had kept her secret for so long for a reason. And, not to mention, inquisitors had red lightsabers. They would know she wasn’t the First Sister.

Adlai shot a smirk back over at Skye as he continued to grasp at clothes he wanted for the day, unimpeded by her desire – or his own – to remain undressed a little longer, “That sounds like a good plan,” he said, “I’ll grab some ration bars for the road,” they were unlikely to have anything in the ship, nor was Shay likely to think of that.

She’d think of everything else, but not that.

Unfortunate.

Adlai, at least, wouldn’t be taking long in getting ready. He wouldn’t really bother much with styling his hair, or doing a full morning routine. He wouldn’t forget to do a quick shower, though he’d leave his hair wet.

And he’d grab the ration bars for the trip.

~***~

Eli did envy the fact that Thrawn never seemed to need as much sleep as the others. He still wondered if it was a chiss thing, or if Thrawn was weird even by chiss standards. Nonetheless, he did greet him with something of a sardonic smile. It was too early for a nicer smile for Thrawn, given this mission.

With Thrawn gesturing them to the shuttle, Eli wasted no time and turned to it, stepping up, “I’ll start the preparations,” while Eli was by no means an expert on flying, and could have easily left it to Ortell or Tobias, he thought he would just get things moving.

If they wanted to take over, he wouldn’t argue.

He was curious about the amount of Stormtroopers, though. Thrawn hadn’t mentioned that last night, and as he got the shuttle started, he would turn to ask, “What are the Stormtroopers going to be doing, Grand Admiral?”

He wondered who was heading them, too.

~***~

Mostly, Eira was connecting the crescent handle of the Inquisitorius prop to her two lightsabers. She didn’t have the tools, or desire, to truly bind her lightsabers together, or make the Inquisitorius design work with her sabers, but while it was unlit, it would be a convincing prop. It would hold.

“It may not be necessary,” Eira said softly, “and I hope it won’t be, but if an Inquisitor has been called…if they arrive before the mission is over, they’ll quickly call me out. I’m not going into a situation where I may face an Inquisitor without a lightsaber.”

So long as she kept her helmet on, the only risk was of outing herself to the rebels she already worked with. She didn’t want to do that, but it was better than failing this mission, and letting two former Jedi get captured, or killed. She wasn’t honestly sure which was worse.

She placed it back onto her belt, helmet remaining in her lap, for now.

She didn’t want to put that thing on.

But she would have to.

“We should have brought hair dye and contacts,” she sighed. Her one complaint – not enough time to bleach her hair, or foresight enough to grab yellow contacts.

“Sounds good,” Skye agreed. Though she didn’t have any hunger right then, she knew she should force herself to eat some of a ration bar. It would be embarrassing if she messed up on her first mission because her stomach growled a little too loudly.

She went back to her room, and it took her no time to change clothes and brush her hair. Since she showered the previous evening, one that morning wouldn’t be necessary. She grabbed her lightsaber as well, hiding it on her body.

It was only precautionary, but she would rather be prepared for things to go wrong.

A few minutes later, Skye headed to the living room, where she would wait as she leaned against the couch.

~~

The sardonicism in Eli’s morning greeting did not go unnoticed by Thrawn’s astute gaze, but he wouldn’t make any remark on it. He would allow it, this once, as he didn’t quite blame the man for being less-than-pleased. It was one mission right after another, and on a promised day off.

He owed Eli a nice vacation.

They stepped up into the ship, with Eli opting to start the ship, and the others lingered nearby. Their tiredness was evident to Thrawn, even without the mugs of caf in Ortell’s and Tobias’ hands. Of the three, Cora seemed the most awake.

“We have narrowed down the location of this rebel cell to a general area within Coronet City. The plan is to have the stormtroopers to secure the parameters, while we,” including the inquisitor, “hunt them down.” And he had hoped the inquisitor would aid them in narrowing down the location even further, before the rebel cell could make their escape.

~~

Lin understood her logic, and he had to agree. They needed to be prepared for a worst case scenario, and Eira was doing just that. “Well, we just gotta hope we don’t run into any of those inquisitors.” A foolish hope, maybe.

But Lin had been called foolish before.

Lin chuckled, “Or a hair straightened.” He ran one hand through his curls. “Just gotta make sure to keep the helmets on, then no dye or contacts won’t be an issue.” Any combat could risk the helmets falling off. Maybe they could secure them on better. Get a strap or something. No, that won’t work.

His fingers lightly fiddled with his own helmet in his lap, his eyes gazing down at his reflection in the shiny reflective material. He looked back up, a serious expression once more on his face. “Are you ready?”

Adlai was not long after Skye, and was quick to grab a ration bar from the cabinets for her, and toss it to her, as he took one for himself. He bit into it, taking down the first bite, before noting, “We’ll be walking,” no car ride this time.

He pulled a hood up over his head, “To the Gatalenta embassy, and from there we’ll get a ride,” with Holdo, “to wherever our actual ship is,” he wouldn’t dare use anything official, and he knew Shay wouldn’t want him to, either.

Their disguises would be in the ship.

They’d be able to get situated with a ship that already had the coordinates they needed, put into it.

“Ready?” He knew she couldn’t be, not really, but he still asked.

~***~

Coronet City. Somehow no surprise, even if it was a major city in Corellia. Eli nodded with that information offered, “Are we bringing any TIEs along in case they do escape the ground?” he couldn’t imagine Thrawn was entirely without several back-up plans, but he had to make sure.

TIEs weren’t exactly equipped with lightspeed, most of the time. Thrawn was still trying to push that through, and Eli didn’t notice any shuttles large enough to bring any TIE squadrons.

He wouldn’t be anticipating them with this vessel as he maneuvered it out of the hangar. Maybe there were TIEs already on Corellia that Thrawn was going to be overseeing? Eli didn’t know. He just had to hope.

‘Well if the Inquisitor doesn’t kill us, Tarkin will for failure.’

And stop being so negative, probably, as he dialed in the coordinates for Corellia.

~***~

Eira nodded. She was not truly ready, of course, but she was prepared to face what was going to happen. Somehow, she and Lin had to get to Coronet City. Ideally, they would completely avoid the Grand Admiral and his team, but if they encountered them, they at least had a good appearance.

And an Inquisitor could get away with flaunting authority.

There weren’t many who were going to dare to stand up to one, after all.

“We just have to find the Mantis crew, and get them out,” she said as Corellia appeared in the viewport. She moved the helmet up, and slipped it on; her hair was already pinned up, thankfully. “No matter what.” The voice modulator would help mask who she was, as well – though she intended to also adjust her voice in the helmet, too.

Just to make it even more difficult for anyone to guess who she was.

Skye easily caught the ration bar with one hand. With her first bite, hunger easily came for her ahead of nerves. The walk was welcomed, and so she nodded. “Makes sense.” They needed to lay low until they were off Coruscant, and speeders would not work.

She pulled up her hood right before they stepped out of the house. A short walk, then a ride to their ship. She thought about asking how far the ride would be, but she would learn soon enough.

And even Holdo would be joining them on the ride to the ship.

Skye looked up at Adlai, and gave him a small smile. “I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.” It was the most honest answer she could give. She nearly felt like a young Jedi again, going off on a mission during the Clone Wars. “What about you?”

~~

“I have contacted the Imperial shipyard in Coronet City, and they are in position for my command.” No, they couldn’t bring their own TIEs with them. It would require larger ships, and he preferred to keep the mission more covert for now.

One day, Thrawn would finally see to it that the TIEs were equipped with lightspeed. It was only logical.

At least they were getting more answers, Cora couldn’t help but to think. Thrawn gave them very little last night, but her worries were seemingly unfounded. Of course. You’ve heard the stories of him. It would be unwise to doubt him.

Though she knew Eli was in a position where he could question Thrawn. She didn’t quite have that courage.

And Tobias and Ortell were still merely ensigns. They knew better if they wanted a future in the Empire.

~~

“Right, find the crew, sounds easy enough,” Lin nodded, not entirely serious. “Do we have any idea of where they may be?” Coronet City covered a large area. They would be blind fools if they had no lead.

Though no one would question an inquisitor and a purge trooper roaming the city. They would be too afraid to.

“Oh, and Eira?” Lin slipped his helmet on, securing it in place. “If we do run into the Grand Admiral, try not to get too distracted.” As many knew his voice, his helmet also contained a voice modulator so no one could easily guess who was truly underneath the disguise.

Lin had somewhat been joking to Eira, but given the...odd relationship blossoming between her and Thrawn, he did wonder just how she would react upon seeing him.

Hopefully they could get in and out before that happened.

Skye’s answer was honest enough as they stepped out of the home, and into the streets of Coruscant. It was still dark, though within an hour or so he knew the city would be bright. Ready for a new day under Emperor Palpatine.

How he despised that.

“I am ready,” he answered.

For one, he wasn’t heading the mission, just aiding another group. That helped his nerves a bit; he wasn’t going to be making every plan to contend with an Inquisitor and Tarkin. And not just any Inquisitor – the Grand Inquisitor. He didn’t want to consider what that meant, given the infamous Darth Vader was head over them all.

And Vader’s reputation struck fear into pretty much everyone. Much as Tarkin’s did. It was the Emperor who lacked that kind of notoriety, but controlling monsters of that sort certainly convinced Adlai that he must be the worst of all.

~***~

Eli accepted that news readily enough, and relaxed a bit in his chair to finish up his caf and ration bar. He was relieved to hear they were prepared to engage in aerial combat if it became necessary. Hopefully, of course, it wouldn’t become necessary.

‘This whole mission shouldn’t be necessary.’

He wondered if Thrawn had mentioned this to the Emperor.

Or to Vader.

He wouldn’t dare to ask on either of those fronts. Vader likely knew, if the Inquisitors were involved. Though Eli was never certain of where Vader fell in Imperial hierarchy, he understood that Vader was definitely the de facto leader of the Inquisitorius.

“All right. We should be there soon,” Eli confirmed.

~***~

“I won’t,” Eira promised, and meant it. She knew how to act, and Thrawn would never know it was her acting in this fashion. She hardly intended to like the person she was playing as, much as she hoped that Lin would act in a fashion he didn’t much like, either.

That was the only way they were going to get through this.

“We know where the Mantis is. Imperials picked it up and threw it in a well-defended hangar. We’ll have to figure out how to deal with that in time,” she told Lin as she hailed Coronet City, “It’s likely we’ll be able to gather information on any sightings, within that hangar.”

Soon enough, someone answered the hailing, “This is Coronet City Secur—”

“I need clearance for the Santhe hangar.” She did pitch her voice up, accented it a bit. She had no idea how First Sister sounded, but then again, few did. Nonetheless, she knew that many of the Inquisitors had been Jedi.

And she knew that “more Core than Core” accent was likely to carry that much more authority.

There was a moment’s pause, “I’m sorry, ma’am, that hangar is currently—”

“On lockdown because of the Mantis ship, yes, I know, that is why I am here.” Emphasis, even though she hadn’t introduced herself. “I am First Sister of the Inquisitorius, and I suggest you not make me wait any longer.”

Another moment of silence, before she was immediately granted clearance, without codes or anything of the sort, to land in the Santhe hangar.

Skye accepted his answer. They were both ready to head to Lothal and rescue the rebels. They were both well equipped to handle this sort of mission, and as long as they didn’t fuck up in front of Tarkin, or get near the Grand Inquisitor, they should be okay.

It was still early in the morning, the sun still not rising, but Coruscant was as busy as ever, speeder zipping by and some walking like they were. Skye wouldn’t say anything more about the mission until they were safe in their ride to the ship.

The Gatalenta Embassy didn’t take much longer for them to arrive, and Skye saw the familiar building as she took the last bite of her ration bar.

She had been there before, the first time she had truly talked to Eira. To Ae’lia.

“Do you see her?” she asked, words slightly muffled as she hadn’t quite swallowed her bite yet.

~~

Thrawn nodded. “Good. We don’t know what kind of firepower this rebel cell may have, so be prepared for anything.” He was fully confident that they would have been anyways. They were fully capable officers, well trained for anything.

But the two Jedis could test their limits, if they weren’t careful. He hoped the inquisitor would help with that and prove themself useful.

Ortell and Tobias ultimately decided to sit down as they finished the last of their caf. Cora, similar to Thrawn, remained standing. It wouldn’t be much longer until they reached Corellia.

Cora eventually walked over to Eli, while Thrawn remained occupied with answering a few messages on his datapad. “So, you’re ready for this?” She was. She totally was.

Except she wasn’t. Not completely.

~~

Lin would only look at Eira for a moment, somewhat in disbelief, but then threw the idea away. She had been a Jedi before. She had many successful missions in the Shah Tezh. Of course she wouldn’t let the Grand Admiral distract her.

Eira easily slipped into her role as the First Sister when she spoke with security. Lin knew that, having seen her acting first hand, but it didn’t mean it was any less impressive. As she spoke, Lin finished equipping his purge trooper uniform with the standard blaster rifle and electrobaton.

He may have hated the uniform, but he did want to keep the weapons after they were done.

Soon enough, they landed in the Santhe hangar soon after being granted clearance. Lin’s posture was straight, and the blaster rifle rested in his grip, completing his look as a Purge Trooper.

Adlai did not immediately see Holdo, but the answer to his question was soon answered as a shuttle dropped to the level of the Embassy, and let a few people out. Holdo stood on the ramp, the ship still active, waving goodbye to Leia Organa and Breha Organa, of all people. Adlai arched a brow, wondering what they were doing at the Gatalenta Embassy, but decided that was probably information he didn’t need immediately.

“I think that’s her.”

Now with green, black, and purple hair.

Adlai really wondered where she got the time for this.

All the same, he picked up his pace a little meet her, and she greeted them with a smile, “The others are already gone,” she confirmed, before she’d pull herself back into the ship and prepare to fly Adlai and Skye the rest of the way to their ship that was headed towards Lothal.

“Really?”

“Yeaaaaah, so, apparently they called an actual Inquisitor to Corellia, too,” Amilyn said as she took her place in the cockpit. Adlai remained standing near her seat. “And Grand Admiral Thrawn wanted to get involved, so that’s causing all of this. I don’t know why he’s going to Corellia. That’s not his jurisdiction.”

~***~

Eli remained as he was, in the pilot’s seat. Ortell and Tobias were clearly too tired for this mission, and none of them really knew what to expect. That Thrawn confirmed the Empire didn’t know what kind of firepower they had access to was another worry. ‘Do we even know how many they are, besides the two Jedi?’

He had a lot of questions.

A lot of doubts.

And with Cora’s question he just let out a sigh and a shrug. His own caf was finished by then, as with his ration bar. “How can I be?” He did not know what to expect, nor did Thrawn. He was prepared to adapt, but this was far different from adapting to something like the mission for Proserpina.

They knew a bit about the Sephi.

They were able to learn quickly how she operated.

The Jedi weren’t from Corellia, or planning to work within Corellia. They didn’t know why the Jedi were there, or what they had at their disposal.

He also doubted Thrawn knew enough about Jedi culture to discern what to expect from Jedi – if the fact they didn’t have a culture for so many years hadn’t already drastically changed that. “But, we’ll handle it.”

~***~

Eira knew the bulk of this mission would fall on her acting. Lin would have to, as well, but with an Inquisitor present, a Purge Soldier was more or less pretty decoration. Eira’s mannerisms shifted as she sunk herself into the role. She’d played villains before, usually of the femme fatale sort, but there had been one that stood out to her, and she adapted that stance, that walking, to this role.

It was just as graceful as herself, but sharper, more pointed in gestures and movements. It was that figure which walked out into the hangar where other Troopers were waiting to verify her identity.

It only took a glance for plenty to disperse and leave one orange-shouldered Trooper with the unfortunate duty of hanging behind to make sure all was good. “W-welcome to Corellia, Inquisitor.”

Eira only turned her head slightly to see the Trooper. “Take me to the Mantis.” She ordered, and that order was immediately followed.

“Right this way.” The orange-shouldered one was quick to move off, and bring her over to the infamous ship. “We haven’t, uh, seen the crew of the ship at all – not here, they haven’t come for it, but we’re sure they’re still on—”

“I did not ask you anything, did I?”

“N-no.”

“Then be quiet.” Eira approached the ship, lifting her hand up to it.

The Force was, indeed, strong around it. She did not have the sort of power to track someone in that fashion, but their signatures were there. She could pick them up, if she could get closer to them, which was the plan.

“When was the last time the Mantis crew was seen by anyone?”

“Um, the Jedi – orange hair – was last seen some hours ago near in the Teeno Village District. He, uh…he decimated our forces there, with some witch.”

“Did you discern where he was going, or why?”

“No, we…didn’t.”

She let out a huff of exasperation, and snapped for Lin as she drew her hand away from the ship, striding off, “Inquisitor, aren’t you—are you not joining with Grand Admiral Thrawn?”

“My mission is the Jedi, not the whims of some Grand Admiral. I was not sent here for him.” And she would exit the hangar on those words, with Lin in tow.

Holdo was easy to spot next to the ship. Her hair didn’t match anything around her. I like her more and more. The site of Leia and Breha Organa did cause her to raise her eyebrows, but she wouldn’t question it. It wasn’t her business.

“Yup, that’s definitely her.”

Skye had to quicken her pace to keep up with Adlai, and she gave Amilyn a soft smile when they reached her. The smile vanished with news of the others already gone. She followed them on the ship, and remained standing near Adlai and Amilyn.

Apparently, an inquisitor had been called to Corellia, and Grand Admiral Thrawn will be there. “Well, that ain’t good,” Skye said rather plainly. She didn’t quite know what else she could say. “Apparently he just made it his jurisdiction. Perhaps there’s something he knows that we don’t?”

One step ahead of them, like a game of holochess.

Skye sighed. It wouldn’t do them any good to worry about that. Eira and Lin could handle it. “But speaking of nasty Imperials, can you elaborate more on our plan for Lothal?”

~~

Cora didn’t hold as many doubts over Grand Admiral Thrawn and the mission as Eli did. She had faith that their leader knew what he was doing, that he wouldn’t lead them into an impossible scenario.

She just wished they had a little more information.

Cora gave Eli a small smile and light squeeze of his arm. “Yes, we will handle it,” she assured him. “We have a great team with us.” Their Grand Admiral, the two ensigns who have impressed them, and numerous stormtroopers and TIEs at their disposal.

This rebel cell would be outnumbered. They had to be.

“And besides,” her voice lowered some, so she was near whisper, “we have to get through this for that date.”

~~

Lin was happy for the helmet, because he couldn’t help the grin that stretched across his face at Eira’s acting. It was good, and it made others fear her without actually experiencing her power. He knew to remain quiet, and to keep his posture and mannerism military strict.

He remained quiet as Eira went up to the Mantis and...did something with the Force, he assumed. She did a hand gesture, that’s all he understood.

How the Force worked was still a mystery to him.

Eira snapped for him, and Lin followed behind like an obedient Purge Trooper. Once they exited the hangar, he made sure no one was around them before whispering, “That was hot.”

He could be serious, and he could still have his moments.

But he followed up with a question, “Do you know which way the Teeno Village District is?” Maybe the Force told her. Or something like that.

Adlai didn’t know, nor did Amilyn. Adlai just shook his head. He couldn’t see why Thrawn would get involved with Corellia, unless he was that bored. Somehow, he couldn’t imagine that was the case. Which meant he knew something – but what? What would possess him to go when an Inquisitor was already called for?

“Shay didn’t know,” Amilyn said, “but she knew we had to move quicker.”

Adlai just hoped, much as Lin hoped, that Eira wouldn’t end up distracted. He knew she could play her roles well, but he still worried that this might be the one that made her slip up. Thrawn had so far been doing a good job of getting her attention – of course, Eira thought there was something more to Thrawn.

He hoped she wasn’t wrong about that, too.

“And she didn’t tell me anything additional. Your disguises will be in the ship. You’ll go to Lothal, and you’ll meet the Ghost crew. You’ll help them. That’s it,” that was all Amilyn knew, anyways.

~***~

Eli did brighten a bit as Cora squeezed his arm and reassured him. He knew Thrawn too well to have as much faith in him as the others did. Oh, he had faith – but not necessarily that Thrawn had a plan. Sometimes, he did things off the cuff. Eli had a feeling that despite these preparations, this was one of those moments.

Otherwise, they wouldn’t be going to the ground.

Thrawn was using this as much as for the Empire, as to gather information on an enemy.

They just had to hope it paid off, this time.

His lips did quirk upwards into more of a smirk as she reminded him of their date, before he looked down a moment, and recomposed himself, “Yeah, you’re right,” if only reality worked like that.

He was just going to keep hoping they didn’t die. He’d take that.

And soon enough, Corellia was before them, “Grand Admiral, where are we landing?” He assumed Thrawn had a preferred location.

~***~

There was one benefit to going along with Lin: she didn’t actually need to hide that she had the Force. Of course, he could have imagined she was just posturing for the crowd with her little trick at the ship – but he would know otherwise. She wouldn’t have to explain away any obvious use of the Force, either.

Although, of course, she was still hoping none of that would be necessary.

She bit the inside of her cheek as Lin offered his compliment, and fought not to break character. Lin wouldn’t be able to see this small break, at any rate.

“Yes. I have been to Corellia before; it is a hotspot for all sorts, after all.”

Not as Eira, but as Ae’lia, she had gone to Corellia with her master on efforts to try and reason with, or deal with, the criminal syndicates here. She knew how to find Teeno village. She didn’t know why the others would be there, but they would find out.

After all, no one stopped them.

No one was going to even think of stopping them, so they were able to walk into that area, and Eira was able to feel the presence of those from the ship. She paused, trying to discern, while also trying to flex out with the Force – there was no need to hide herself right then, she wanted them aware of her presence, and it would make it easier to latch onto theirs.

Strangely enough, there was something more notable in the Force.

Something powerful. Or someone, rather. That was certainly a living creature. “This way,” Eira finally spoke, turning towards a few of the houses.

Someone was sheltering them. Did the Stormtroopers even do a sweep? ‘You should be grateful they’re inept.’

This was…true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back