• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Adlai wasn’t at all surprised that Skye wasn’t accustomed to it, “Then I’m sure you’ll be thrilled to know we plan to move even lower,” he wouldn’t specify where, or when. That wasn’t for him to know, although he was certain Eira was aware of ‘where’. Maybe not when. They didn’t like to move until they had to.

“We’re currently on 1313,” he said, moving out from another way, navigating the alleys a bit, “so we have to go down a bit more,” and he knew the way to the lift, that would keep taking them down. They’d have to switch again, but eventually, they would get there.

He would enter the next lift, and lead on to the other when they had to switch. Thankfully, there didn’t seem to be any issues with this process, no fights, no scuffles, and so eventually, they came to the warehouse that was cleared out for the Shah-tezh.

Eira and Shay would already be there when they arrived, of course. For that matter, Adlai was, in fact, the last to arrive – everyone else was already there.

Holdo was on her feet first, hands clapping together when Adlai led Skye in, “Welcome! I was hoping you would be with us soon, Miss Vind!” Since Eira first showed her to the Gatalantan area of Coruscant.

~***~

Eli couldn’t really argue that it wasn’t, or that he’d meant to be more…subtle. Faro had figured out quickly, and Cora also made her hints obvious enough to him. So he’d done something right, and hadn’t misled anyone. He considered that was probably a good thing. So he’d just accept it, without a begrudging sigh.

Thrawn was giving him and Cora time off.

He assumed that also meant Ortell and Tobias. It would probably be wise to verify that, “Does that include Ortell and Tobias? I can let them know as a team that we have the time off,” and he could figure something out with Cora for tomorrow.

It was a bit too short notice for him to plan something, and feel good about it, that evening. Cora might want time to catch up with anything missed here, or just get clean and rest a bit.

“Lower?” Skye raised both brows. “Maybe you actually will need a bodyguard then.” It was meant as a tease, but the possibility of that being true could be real.

She kept up to pace with Adlai as they weaved through the alleys and was led to another lift, then another one. If she had to come to a meeting alone, Skye wasn’t sure how she would make it without getting lost. Coruscant has always been a confusing planet for her.

They eventually made it with no trouble, and Skye was greeted by the sight of several familiar and unfamiliar faces, with a very familiar one greeting her. She smiled, “Oh please don’t call me Miss Vind. It makes me sound too old.” And too formal.

“It’s that badass chick from the gallery!” Another familiar voice called out. Skye turned her head to see Lin.

She raised one eyebrow, “I wouldn’t mind if that’s my reputation.”

~~

Thrawn could only nod in affirmation to Eli’s question. It was only fair, and it was something he intended for anyways. “Yes, they will have the time off as well.”

They all deserved it, after all.

“Speaking of those two, how did the team go?” Aside from the unplanned interruption, he was curious to see how the chemistry and teamwork between everyone played out in the unforgiving jungles of Cartao.

“Anything other troubles to be reported, aside from Governor Tarkin taking the prisoner?” A move Thrawn was very suspicious about, but would Tarkin actually give him answers if pressed?

Thrawn doubted it.

Adlai imagined if he ever actually needed a bodyguard, it would be back up on 1313, but lower held a possibility, as well. After level 5, cameras stopped existing entirely, for the most part. Perhaps there were a few droids, but not much life. It was a good place to hide.

He wouldn’t indicate that, though. Most who ended up that low, hadn’t done so intentionally. They were usually hiding – and didn’t want to draw enough attention to be noticed, by anyone.

On entering, Skye was greeted by two, and Eira rose from her own seat, and came forward to meet them. “Welcome to the Shah-tezh, Skye,” Eira offered, and gestured out, “Shay, as you’ve already met, is our Imperator. I held the Outcast role,” she offered, a change in the tense, a change in the situation. They had all the pieces, after all – Skye joining meant something had to change, “Adlai is our Knight, Lin our Craft, and Amilyn our Ambassador.”

Amilyn gave a bit of a bow at that.

“Rem,” she gestured to the clawdite, “is our dowager,” he lifted his hand to wave. “Maeghrirl is our Beast – though she’s sweet,” Maege let out a roar of greeting. “Amita Din and Nikhil Din are our Vizier and Disciple, respectively, and Amita is also my personal lawyer.”

“And she helps the rest of us,” Adlai offered.

“Good to meet you, Skye,” Amita greeted, as her son just flipped a short wave Skye’s way.

~***~

Eli smiled as Thrawn asked about the team, “It went well – Ortell and Tobias are an effective team together and understand each other, so it has made working with them fluid and easy,” Eli answered Thrawn. He had been right to want the pair of them together, and they continued to prove it on each mission.

“We had some trouble in the jungle, but Tobias was able to alert Ortell to it, and Ortell took initiative not only to come find us with a ship, but to bring back-up, so that we were able to convince Proserpina to stand down without a fight. Both Cora and Tobias, while with me, did nothing to increase the odds of an unnecessary struggle, either.”

They both took their cues, however slight they were, to be patient, and to wait for Eli to consider further action. It hadn’t become necessary. They had just needed to stall, as Eli had hoped, until Ortell came to them with the ship.

All in all, everything about their teamwork had gone well, and he’d be happy to work with both of them again in the future, on any mission.

Skye felt overwhelmed by all of the new faces and names she would have to memorize. It shouldn’t take her too long, though, if the new faces were patient and helped her out with their names.

But, alongside their names, Eira kept mentioning different titles, whose meanings eluded Skye.

“Nice to meet everyone.” She gave a small wave, unsure exactly of what she was supposed to say. She hoped they weren’t expecting some inspirational speech for why she wanted to join.

Skye was not doing that. Later, though, she did want to tease Adlai about his title of the Knight.

“I do have one question.” She looked to Eira, knowing she would probably be the best person to give her an answer. “What do all these titles mean? The Knight, Craft, Outsider, and so on?”

~~

Thrawn was pleased to hear that the younger officers worked well not only together but with Eli and Cora. He had little doubt that would be the case, but the affirmation was nice.

All of his officers on the Chimaera were intelligent and capable. He wouldn’t tolerate anything less.

“I’m glad to hear that everyone stepped up to their job effectively and efficiently, and no one was hurt during the mission.” From how Eli relayed the information, things could have turned sour easily, but thanks to the actions of the officers, everyone ended up okay, and they swiftly apprehended Proserpina.

Would he have liked everyone in custody? Yes, but Thrawn knew what was possible and when to accept losses. But he wasn’t going to accept Tarkin taking his prisoner so easily.

“If you would like, I can be sure to have the same team assigned to you in the future.” And he knew at least having Officer Suvan on his team would make Eli happy, and he was confident the two would be able to remain focused.

“Think of them like callsigns,” Adlai answered first, and Eira nodded her agreement.

“When we are working on missions, and have to communicate in regards to it, we all have a title that we use, the way pilots use callsigns like Black-One and the like,” Eira agreed, “It is also a way to throw-off those who would come looking for us, as most would immediately hope to target the Imperator.”

“Not that I’m not one of the leaders,” Shay noted, “but Eira was the one who started this,” and Eira had originally been given the most misleading title for it – the Outcast.

That changed today. “Your title will be the Outcast, Skye,” Eira said, “Given we have a full set,” as was obvious by their numbers, “I’ll be taking the role of the Demesne itself.”

“It all stems from the Shah-tezh game,” Adlai noted, “The Outcast is actually something of the wildcard role,” it could be the most useful piece, or the most useless, depending on if the player knew how to use it.

~***~

Eli nodded, “Though I would still like to work with others in the future, as well, I believe that having these three be a part of my core team would be useful for all of our advancements,” until better places were found for them. Unless they truly were good for Eli’s special operation missions.

Eli would continue to monitor them, and let Thrawn consider that, as well. He still remained the best at figuring out where people truly fit, so he would concede to Thrawn’s thoughts if he disagreed with Eli’s assessment about their placement.

Thrawn was usually right.

“Given the incident on Cartao…it may be possible to find a trail of Proserpina’s associates. If you want to consider that for the future,” depending on how his meeting went with Tarkin. “I do not believe they’ll remain on Cartao, but I don’t think they would be impossible to find, either.”

He wouldn’t hint any further at that.

Much would depend on how that conversation with Tarkin went, he was certain.

Callsigns. That made enough sense.

Skye had to fight back a smile at the irony of her now holding the title of Outcast. It was fitting, in a way. The once Jedi forced to become an outcast to protect herself.

“Wildcard, eh?” That did bring a small smile from her. “I think that’s something I can manage.” She made a mental note to look up the rules of Shah-tezh later. It had been years since she knew how to play.

She looked back over all the faces, committing them to memory, and silently rehearsing their names in her head. “Well, thank you again for accepting me.” That had been directed more towards Shay, as they were the ones engaged in that conversation topic the night before.

~~

Thrawn nodded and took Eli’s comments into consideration. Of course, Thrawn would shuffle people around if he felt that was best for the situation at the time. Anything to ensure the success of their mission.

He only agreed with Eli's comments on Proserpina’s associates. “I don’t think they’ll be too hard to track down either. If Proserpina was their leader, then without her, they may get sloppy, or they may just not be able to cover their trail as well.” Not because of lack of intelligence, but because without their leader, they may not know exactly what to do next.

But what happened next would indeed depend on his conversation with Tarkin.

Thrawn sighed. “I suppose what’s next is for a conversation with Governor Tarkin.” He would rather do anything else. He already had a feeling that the conversation would rile his anger or frustration to some level.

“We didn’t get a say,” Rem stated from where they sat, and Amita gave them a look for it. Rem just threw up their hands, “Just being honest! We didn’t get a say about you, either. Or Nikhil.” Or anyone that Eira brought in and Shay vetted, for that matter.

Maege let out a grumbling sound, part irritation with Rem, and part greeting to Skye. No one translated; it was assumed Skye knew the language.

“I doubt we’re getting a say about Bail’s thing, either.” Adlai touched Skye’s arm to invite her closer to the group, so they could take a seat.

“You’re not,” Shay answered, “We are going to work with Bail Organa,” she had gathered enough information from Adlai, and her meeting with Ahsoka further confirmed things. “We will be working with Senator Organa and his organization, through their intermediary, Fulcrum.”

Ahsoka.

Since they weren’t known yet, it was possible for them to still work discreetly, without needing to join the gathering Rebels and make themselves known to the Empire.

~***~

There would be the question of how useful Proserpina’s associates would be, but that was something to consider at another time. For now, Eli would leave that to Thrawn’s determination, and let him get to his business. “I do not envy you in the least,” for having to reach out to Tarkin, and understand this situation.

If Tarkin elected to offer any insight.

“I’ll go let the others know of their relief from duty for a bit, and leave you to your conversation with Governor Tarkin,” he had a thought to ask about how the investigation with Eira was going, but decided against it.

He’d ask Thrawn later – when he wasn’t dealing with Tarkin and regretting ever accepting any mission from him.

If he was able to get his leave from Thrawn, he would do so, and begin to type up a message for Cora, Ortell, and Tobias about their time off.

Skye raised an eyebrow at Rem, but in amusement rather than offense. “Oh don’t worry, no offense was taken.” It was the truth, after all, that she was there because of Eira and Shay, and it seemed it was the same for everyone else.

She extended a small greeting in response, with a smile, to Maege, and moved closer to the group as prompted by Adlai. They would be working with Bail Organa? She liked that idea.

Though the name Fulcrum was unknown to her. It didn’t sound like an actual name to her, so Skye had to ask as she took a seat, “Fulcrum? Is that some kind of codename?”

Of course she didn’t expect Bail to risk his position or his family by being the one in direct contact with any rebel cell, but to blindly trust someone with the intermediary position wasn’t likely either. Maybe it was someone she had see at the party?

~~

Thrawn allowed the barest hint of a smile to tug on his lips at Eli’s statement. No, he’d imagine no one would be envious of his position right then. “I do not blame you one bit.”

He contemplated a drink before the call.

No, that would only give Tarkin more reason to question Thrawn’s leadership and current position in his investigation on Coruscant. No one needed a gloating Tarkin.

“Very well. Have a pleasant time off. You are dismissed, Officer Vanto.” Thrawn nodded at Eli, and once he had left Thrawn’s quarters, the Chiss would make his way to make a call to a certain governor concerning Proserpina.

“It is,” Shay confirmed, “and no, none of you get to know who Fulcrum is, for now.”

“We have no reason to mistrust Fulcrum,” Eira herself was careful with pronouns, “I mean that. There is no chance Fulcrum is an ally of the Empire.” Perhaps Skye would realize what that meant. The others might hold guesses, but from her, and with Shay nodding, it was likely not to come under further question.

Fulcrum was above question, for now.

“However, that does mean we have two acts, that need to occur near simultaneously.” Shay said, “And within two days.”

Adlai’s brows lifted, “What could require such immediate attention?” It wasn’t usually their way.

“The team on Lothal has also joined with Bail, and needs immediate extraction from Lothal, as well. The Grand Inquisitor himself is on the scene, and Governor Tarkin.”

Adlai hissed in a breath. “I don’t know how you expect us to do that.”

“You,” Shay said, “will be going under Imperial guises to meet with their leader, Hera Syndulla, and help as she directs, along with Skye Vind.”

“Why aren’t I going?” Eira asked.

“You’re going to Corellia, with Lin, to help out the Mantis crew with a similar extraction situation.”

~***~

“Thank you, Grand Admiral,” Eli said, and inclined his head a bit in respect, “and good luck,” he added, before he would turn to leave Thrawn to his fate – and as he was walking, he would send out his messages to Ortell, Tobias, and Cora.

To Cora, it would be a bit longer:

Hey, Thrawn has said we have this evening and tomorrow off. He’s also aware of our situation, and isn’t upset or against it. Sorry.

Eli hadn’t planned to tell Thrawn that soon, but given it was obvious when he stepped in, he didn’t have much of a choice. He wasn’t going to lie to Thrawn, and he hadn’t planned to keep it from him indefinitely either. Just…a little longer.

~***~

“You do not know what it takes to win a war. But I do.”

The communications tower on Lothal had fallen, putting an end to the message of Ezra Bridger. The Jedi, a supposed ‘Kanan Jarrus’ who Governor Tarkin now knew to be Caleb Dune, was in his custody. The rest of the Rebel Cell would soon fall into his hands, as well.

It was not the only prisoner of the day.

There had been another, a Sephi, who no longer breathed.

Proserpina was not her real name, either. So many criminals were now going by pseudonyms, thinking it would help them – and unfortunately, for some, it did.

Governor Tarkin expected that the Grand Admiral would soon follow up on what was lost, so it was no surprise that before dawn was to rise on Lothal, the Governor was interrupted from going over the current effects of the IT-O’s recordings from interrogations with Kanan Jarrus by the Grand Admiral.

He would not appear to be interrupted, of course.

He would simply answer the call, “Grand Admiral,” he greeted, “is there something I can help you with?” To the point, as ever.

Skye rose one brow at Eira’s emphasis. No chance Fulcrum was an ally of the Empire. She had a small idea of what Eira could mean by that, and she wanted to confirm that later, when she could get Eira alone.

The subject moved on to a mission, or rather two missions, that were to occur within the next few days. And, according to Adlai’s reaction, it wasn’t normal for them to do so that fast. Interesting.

And apparently she would be joining Adlai on a mission to Lothal. With an Inquisitor there.

Skye tensed, her breath caught in her throat for a few seconds. Breathe. Slowly, she released the trapped air. An Inquisitor. Not just any, but the Grand Inquisitor. Someone who hunted people like Skye down to kill them.

Lin spoke up next, “Corellia with Eira? Sweet! I’m assuming there will be less...Grand inquisitors and skeletal governors there though?”

~~

Cora had been relaxing in her quarters, on her bed, almost in a meditative state, when her datapad dinged with a new message. Creasing her brows, she reached to grab it and opened the message, and a wide smile instantly blossomed across her face.

It is best he knows anyways. I am free now if you wanted to discuss where we should go. Or anything else.

She nearly slapped herself at the last inclusion, as in her eyes, it made her seem a little desperate, but she had been looking forward to talking to Eli when they weren’t on a mission or excitement wasn’t going on in the background. So she sent the message anyways, hoping he wouldn’t think she was looking desperate.

~~

The governor did not delay in answering Thrawn’s call, which did not surprise him. He immediately tried to gauge the older man, to pin down what he was feeling at the moment, but Thrawn couldn’t see anything obvious in body cues.

As stoic as ever.

“I apologize for the hour at which I am calling,” for it was early on Lothal, “but I do have a matter I wish to discuss with you. I am quite sure you are familiar with the criminal who goes by the name Proserpina, are you not?”

Of course he was. “I wanted to inquire about how you managed to learn about her and her location so quickly that Imperial officers took her away as my prisoner under your orders?”

“Less skeletal governors,” Shay confirmed, “but there is a significant chance of more Inquisitors.”

Eira wanted to protest this. She and Skye were at risk – risk Shay didn’t understand – but who else could stand up to Inquisitors, anyways? “Why are Inquisitors on Corellia? Are they aware of the Mantis?”

“They are, and more, there seems to be a child in the equation that the Mantis was on Corellia to rescue. They’re stuck, and not tied into Bail’s channels.” Yet. “This is something of a recruitment mission, as well. Bail wants to connect with the Mantis crew and bring them on board, as well.”

Eira nodded. That made sense. She didn’t like this, “I imagine this plan involves disguises.” Their faces couldn’t be seen. She and Lin were famous. Adlai was a politician.

“Yes,” Shay answered, “they’re almost done. That is the main reason for the delay. That, and transport,” obviously, they also couldn’t use their typical ships.

~***~

Eli was relieved to read that Cora wasn’t upset that Thrawn knew. It was best he knew. He was their superior officer, and he could have had qualms with it. It had been unlikely, but at least now they headed it off, without keeping any secrets.

Yeah! I can meet you at the cafeteria, or my quarters – or anywhere else!

Eli looked the message over.

He erased it.

It would be a good idea to have a plan for tomorrow. I can meet you to discuss it. Where should we meet?

No, that still wasn’t right. He backspaced it again.

Yeah, I’d like to meet up to talk about where we should meet. I’m going to catch a bite at the cafeteria – I can meet you there, or elsewhere, if you’d like.​

That seemed safe enough. He sent that message.

~***~

‘No, Thrawn, I’ve never heard that name in my life.’

Tarkin did not say that, but he let Thrawn conclude his questioning before he spoke a response to it as a whole. “I was aware of the situation at the gallery, Grand Admiral,” Tarkin indicated, “and aware when you chose to send Commander Vanto on an unapproved mission to Cartao to follow what you learned from those prisoners.”

He had not spoken to the moff of that sector, nor anyone else about it. “I simply reached out to the Imperial Facility there and told them to apprehend any prisoner that Commander Vanto found.” He did not need to tell them anything else.

They weren’t going to ask him anything else, unlike Thrawn.

“The attack on Queen Breha and on yourself, at the gallery, is unfortunate, and will be looked into, but that is not your concern, Grand Admiral. It was not your place to take prisoners from the gallery in the first place,” he should have let them fall into the hands of the Coruscanti police. Anywhere else, where Tarkin could see them…removed from the equation. “It will be handled by others from this point on.”

More Inquisitors. Skye was not pleased with this at all, and naturally the two Jedis were being sent on these missions. She needed to talk about that to Eira later. To discuss what they could do to help avoid detection.

“What kind of disguises are we talking about?” Lin wondered. Skye was also curious. Their entire faces would have to be covered, wouldn’t they?

Well, Adlai and Lin may be able to pass in a stormtrooper’s uniform, but Eira and myself are a bit too short for that.

“Okay, another question,” Skye interjected, one hand slightly raised like a child in a classroom. “What, or who, are the Mantis? I’m assuming they’re another group like us?” Another thing she may consider after the meeting, asking either Adlai or Eira for a quick rundown on everything she should now know in the group.

~~

It didn’t take long for Cora to receive a response from Eli. Deciding she could also use a bite to eat, she decided the cafeteria would be a good place to meet.

I wouldn’t mind a little food myself. Are you headed there now? I can meet you there in just a few.

While Eli would read the message, Cora made sure she looked presentable, and not at all like she just returned from some jungle planet after falling into a pit. She was sure she didn’t smell too good.

Whenever she received a message back from Eli confirming that he was leaving, Cora would leave her quarters as well, making her way to the cafeteria.

~~

Thrawn’s hands were clasped behind his back in his formal military stance, which he considered a blessing in the moment as one hand balled into a tight fist with Tarkin’s words.

He had no position to question Tarkin and what he had done or said, but he would still voice his displeasure. Those in the Empire should know of his unorthodox ways by now.

“It happened under the watch of my officers, so I felt it was my duty to see through the investigation.” And he intended to see through the investigation and take it to the next step of seeing about Niima the Hutt on Jakku.

“How did you find out of Commander Vanto’s mission on Cartao?” It had been sudden, very little time for Tarkin to hear of it. “And what happened to the prisoner?” Gut instinct told him Proserpina was no more.

A shameful end, but nothing could be done about that now.

“Imperial disguises,” Shay answered, without elaborating on the details. Obviously, they would have masks. No one could risk being recognized. That wouldn’t end well for any of them. Shay was sending the most prolific figures she had in Adlai, Lin, and Eira, but it was for a reason – they were capable of blending in, of acting. Adlai was more of a politician, but he had the skill.

Skye was an unknown…but Adlai and Eira both vouched for her.

“The Mantis is a group of unaffiliated rebels. We’re calling them after their ship. They include Cere Junda and Cal Kestis of the Jedi Order, the droid BD-1, Greez Dritus who serves as captain, and the nightsister Merrin,” Shay answered Skye.

“More Jedi?” Amita’s brows lifted.

“That’s why we’re going out of our way,” Shay noted. “Not to mention, the Mantis Crew are known for killing two inquisitors, and stealing from the Inquisitorius.”

“That is impressive,” Rem admitted.

“This was in the early years…but yes,” Shay agreed, “It is.”

~***~

Eli wasn’t even thinking of making himself presentable. He probably should have, and so he did send a message indicating he was heading that way now. He was able to make it there first, and grab a bantha burger before finding a place to sit down and eat, while waiting for Cora to arrive.

It didn’t seem to take her long, thankfully. No one yet had gone to join Eli, and the Commander lifted his hand when he saw Cora there to let her know where he was, so that once she had gathered her food, she could come join him.

He did notice that she had cleaned up.

He felt some small tingle of regret for not managing to do the same. He probably should have even cleaned up before going to see Thrawn, but he hadn’t even thought of that. Not that Thrawn seemed perturbed by his state – and it wasn’t terrible.

Just a bit dirty.

Oh well.

He would smile when Cora did join him, “So, yeah. We have time off for a bit. And Thrawn wasn’t happy with the news.” As expected. “Er – not the news about us. About Proserpina.”

~***~

“I know,” Thrawn was obvious in some respects – in his sense of responsibility, at any rate, “It is an admirable quality of yours in most cases, but you still need to learn that the Empire has divided things for effectivity and efficiency, as well.” And so Tarkin could manage it all that much easier.

Tarkin’s lips twitched a bit as Thrawn wondered at how he knew things.

Mostly, he knew the path that was to be followed. That, of course, was not something he would say, “Do you truly believe the Chimaera operates outside of my notice, Grand Admiral?” Did he believe there weren’t spies in his midst, when he was friends with Yularen? Thrawn couldn’t be so daft as that.

He knew how easily Tarkin got information, from all kinds of sources. “There is no ship in the entirety of the Empire that I do not hear about, and know the activities of, when I want to know them.”

Imperial disguises. Oh, that could only be fun. Skye wanted to laugh at the mental image of herself and Eira dressed as Stormtroopers.

Hadn’t Eira mentioned the names al Kestis and Cere Junda to Skye before? Still, she was shocked, pleasantly so, that even more Jedi would be in the mix. They really were starting to pop back up from the shadows, just like Skye had.

Maybe there would be hope for them all yet in their fight against the Empire.

“This team already sounds badass,” Lin couldn’t help but comment, and Skye nodded her agreement. One Inquisitor was impressive enough, but two? The rebels needed people like them.

~~

Once Cora entered the cafeteria, she was immediately able to spot Eli. She smiled at him and went to grab an apple, as she wasn’t terribly hungry, before making her way over to him and sitting right next to him.

“Oh, I figured he wouldn’t be too happy.” None of them were. Proserpina was supposed to be theirs, dammit! Not Tarkin. But not even Thrawn could say no to Tarkin. “Is he talking to Governor Tarkin about it soon?”

She was curious to know what had happened back on Cartao, but Cora would also understand if that information remained classified to her. Disappointed, but it was the nature of things.

“But, for the day off,” she started, “Did you have any ideas of what you wanted to do on Coruscant?”

~~

Thrawn hardly thought that every way the Empire divided its resources was effective, as he had proved in the past. But he held back his comment on that, for now.

“Of course I do not believe that, Governor.” Thrawn knew as well as anyone else that the Governor had his eyes and ears everywhere in the Empire, and he could imagine that the Chimaera was taking a special place on Tarkin’s list for now.

“Despite the circumstances of the situation, I was merely hoping to be able to speak to our prisoner first before handing her over to higher authorities.” Like Tarkin.

But that wouldn’t happen.

“Speaking of her, what did you do to the prisoner? Did she say anything else to you?” If she had, Thrawn didn’t think Tarkin would reveal that information, simply because he didn’t want the Chiss on the investigation anymore.

Curious, indeed.

Eira couldn’t deny that handling two Inquisitors was impressive. That gave her some faith in going to Corellia to find Cal Kestis and Cere Junda. She remembered Cere, anyways. A bit too hot-headed, but she had written a few songs, songs that Eira learned in her time with the Jedi.

There would be a way to reach her.

“Do we know anything further about their mission on Corellia?”

“I’m afraid not,” Shay shook her head, “the details have been rather well hidden,” Shay said, “Only that they were there to rescue someone, and have been unable to leave.”

“All right,” Eira sighed, “Will they know we’re coming?”

A moment’s hesitation, and then Shay shook her head. “The Lothal team is being made aware of help,” they were working with Fulcrum and Bail, after all, “but we do not have direct communication with the Mantis team.”

~***~

Eli nodded to Cora’s inquiry. “Yeah – I think he called Tarkin shortly after I left,” he couldn’t confirm that, but he had a feeling that it had been fairly immediate. Thrawn wasn’t known to wait, unless he had to, and this wasn’t something he would benefit from waiting on. So it made sense that he’d reach out as soon as he could.

“I don’t know if we’ll hear much about it,” Eli, too, would understand if it was deemed classified.

But there was tomorrow to be concerned with, “Well, I wanted to ask you – some of what’s available to us would depend on how long we stayed out, or when we went out to Coruscant. Did you have a preference for timing?”

Obviously, Coruscant morning life would be different from Coruscant evening or night life. Eli was more familiar with the evening life himself, even when he studied at the Academy. He was usually on campus during the morning hours.

~***~

Tarkin knew Thrawn would have very much liked to talk to Proserpina. And she would have quite liked to talk to him, the way a few pirates had talked to Thrawn when the threat of Tarkin loomed over them. Of course, what Proserpina had to say was nothing Thrawn needed to know.

There were threads he didn’t need to follow.

“Unfortunately, I was unable to speak with her,” Tarkin noted, but he didn’t sound terribly disappointed, “It seems she decided to attempt to escape when the vessel was en route to Lothal and my ship. She was killed in the ensuing struggle.” It was a lie. Tarkin had little illusion that Thrawn wouldn’t recognize it for what it was.

In recognizing it, Thrawn would likely know better than to question it.

Tarkin didn’t enjoy lying outright to Thrawn, but he couldn’t just say ‘oh, well, she knew too much and she was killed’. Some things had to be hinted it with bad lies. Some warnings, given in breadcrumbs.

Thrawn’s search had to end, here.

Tarkin knew where it went.

“So we just gotta let them know we’re there to help them while dressed in Imperial garb,” Lin said. “That shouldn’t be too difficult.” Nothing could go wrong at all.

At least the Lothal mission should be easier, minus the simple fact that Tarkin was involved. And an Inquisitor. Skye would prefer not to deal with either of them on a good day, but both?

What an interesting first mission that should be.

What a hell of a first mission, Skye mused. “Nah, I think that should be quite exciting.”

~~

Cora truthfully did not have any preference for timing. Since she was now free all day, she had nothing else planned, and she was more than happy to go out at any time.

So she shook her head. “Not really, though I suppose doing something during the day would open up more opportunities for us, or at least allow us more time.” Such as if Eli wanted to do more than just go out for dinner. Cora knew she wanted more than that, but she wouldn’t outright say it.

Maybe hint at it.

“What about you? Did you have a preference?” she asked. “Or, rather, was there something you had on your mind that you wanted to do?” she added.

~~

Thrawn’s eyes tightened a fraction before he relaxed them. Something about what Tarkin said regarding Proserpina’s fate didn’t sit well with him, aside from the frustrating fact that she was dead.

He seriously doubted it was due to an attempted escape, as he said, but Thrawn knew better than to question Tarkin on it. Instead, it would be something he had to investigate without the governor’s knowledge.

“That is a shame,” was all he could say for now. Should he mention that she had mentioned who hired her? No, not to Tarkin. Just in case.

Thrawn respected Tarkin in many aspects, but it seems he would need to break a few Imperial protocols, yet again, for this investigation he had intended to see through. “There had been several questions I was hoping to ask her. Alas.”

Eira palmed her forehead at Lin’s blithe response, but sighed. They would find a way. Somehow. At least she thought she might be able to, if she could take whatever mask or helmet she was wearing, off for a few minutes to speak to Cere or Cal. It was going to be an interesting mission, that was for sure. ‘All to rescue them, and one child.’

On Corellia.

At least Corellia had a huge criminal underground. They could work with that. Probably.

Adlai passed Eira a sympathetic look, but not without a chuckle, “And yet I think we still have the more difficult job,” dealing with Tarkin and all. “Still, I suppose if I get to come out of this and brag about putting one over on Governor Tarkin, it will have been worth it. And if I fail, at least it was to someone competent.”

Terribly competent.

“If you fail be sure to blow yourself up,” Shay said, deadpan, “so no one can identify your remains.”

“Shay!” Eira was not impressed.

~***~

Eli could agree with wanting more time to spend with Cora, but in truth he hadn’t begun any research on how to spend the time with her. Besides, perhaps, the obvious of getting food somewhere. “Maybe we could start with brunch?” That wouldn’t be putting them up and out too early.

Sure, they’d both be up early, but it gave them time in the morning to do anything that needed done. Day off or not, Eli knew he’d still check in to a few things.

“I hadn’t really looked at what was available in Coruscant just yet to consider what we ought to do,” he confessed, “It’s such a huge world, I’m sure there’s something – but I don’t know.” He didn’t really want to spend his time at a gallery or a museum. It would be too early for some activities.

He didn’t think they were near enough to any holidays to go explore.

Walking around and shopping seemed boring.

Catching a holofilm wouldn’t really let them talk…his mind raced to ideas and put them down rapidly. ‘Arcade?’

~***~

“It is,” Tarkin agreed, but his lack of concern was evident as he allowed a shrug of his shoulders, “I had hoped to learn more from her myself,” he allowed. It wasn’t true. He knew what there was to know, and he was more than aware that his answers weren’t satisfying to Thrawn. At least he knew where Thrawn would look.

He would either attempt to find Proserpina’s crew, and interrogate them. Tarkin would have to see them dealt with, quietly.

He may also go to Jakku, if he was already aware of more than he let on. Tarkin tended to stay aware of activity on that desolate planet, if only because he needed to remain updated on the observatory on Jakku.

He knew less about Jakku than he’d like – but enough to understand that he did not personally want to set foot on Jakku. “Was there anything else you wanted to know, Thrawn?”

Skye blanched at Shay’s nonchalance over blowing themselves up should the mission turn sour. She didn’t want to think of Adlai dying, or herself dying, on this mission. No, he had a Jedi to help him, plus the Lothal team, who had another Jedi, Caleb Dume, now going by Kanan Jarrus.

Just as she had changed her identity.

“Oh, this is just making me feel better and better.” Skye had a rather dry tone, no thanks to what Shay had said, but she had no regrets in joining their little team. They would get out alive. She just had a feeling.

“Don’t worry, you’ll get used to her saying shit like that,” Lin said. She was always the practical one in the group, ensuring that identities remained hidden from the Empire.

Even though their personalities clashed, Lin had much to thank Shay for.

~~

Brunch had been an unusual choice, at least for Cora, as a first date. No one had ever suggested brunch before, but Cora actually found that she liked the idea. They would get something to eat, and it would open the day for whatever they wanted to do.

She almost wanted to suggest a museum or something similar, but remembered at the last second that Eli didn’t particularly care for them. She wouldn’t dare put him through the torture of something he didn’t like.

“I heard the gardens this time of year are really pretty,” she suggested with an internal wince. Would he even like that? It would be walking, talking, and looking at plants. Not that far from a gallery or museum.

“There’s also several decent amusement parks on Coruscant,” she quickly added. That could be something that they both enjoyed. “Maybe we can go there after brunch?”

~~

There was still something about Tarkin’s words, or maybe it was his mannerisms, that led to Thrawn’s suspicions. Either way, Tarkin was hiding something. Thrawn grew more and more sure of that.

“All such a pity.” A pity Proserpina died in such a way, after she had been promised something else. Died in a way that seemed all too coincidental for Thrawn’s liking.

Very little was ever a coincidence.

“No, Governor. That was all.” And he hoped to be able to leave without Tarkin asking about Eira and that case. Despite the previous evening, he had very little that was new to tell to Tarkin, except that she could fight.

Eira offered Skye an apologetic smile. It was indeed just Shay’s way – and Eira knew that deep down, Shay didn’t want that. She’d prefer they live, and find a way to be rescued, even if it might mean that everything about their organization was lost.

They would rebuild.

They would find a new way to strike at the Empire.

They had come too far now to frivolously risk lives – but she wouldn’t speak up to contradict. It nailed home the importance of staying unknown to their enemies. “We’ve all gotten used to it,” Amita noted, instead.

“So long as the message is clear.”

“Very,” Eira said. “Well then – seems we have some exciting days ahead, and a new member to join us,” Eira gestured to Skye, “Anyone have any questions?”

Maege had a question about Eira and Thrawn.

“Not that question.”

There was some laughter, mostly playful, at that. Eira’s tone suggested it was only denied in play, after all.

~***~

The gardens were also a relatively boring adventure for Eli. Thankfully, he didn’t have to say as much – Cora offered something else that they could do, instead. An amusement park! That was a far better idea than the gardens, “I think that’d be fun,” and if they did get bored or just wanted a breather, maybe then they could go to the gardens.

“I didn’t ever go to any of the amusement parks on Coruscant,” he was too busy studying, but he drew his datapad into his lap to start searching them out, and so, brunch places that would be close to each one. “Do you have a favorite one? Or have you ever been to any of them?”

Maybe they should go to a new one, one she hadn’t been to, although he wondered if they varied that much. From what he was bringing up, the answer seemed to be yes – some preferring rollercoaster sorts of rides, others preferring water rides, and various other attractions differing between them.

Tempted as he was to suggest a water park, he would at least wait to hear what Cora thought.

~***~

It was. But it wasn’t to Tarkin. He knew it was a pity to Thrawn, who still had a vested interest in this. He was trying to juggle too much. At least, if he failed in the Eira case, Tarkin would be able to provide plentiful examples of Thrawn not focusing on the task at hand, if he wanted to be spiteful and petition for Thrawn to lose his rank.

He didn’t think he’d need to, though.

“Good. You have plenty of work to stop being distracted from,” Tarkin indicated. ‘And distracted by.’ Went unsaid this time, “I trust I will hear from you with an update soon.” He knew this call wasn’t that. Which was disappointing. No matter, he had made his intentions clear, and he could leave off, for now.

He had more important things to handle, as well.

Skye wanted to echo Maege’s question concerning Eira and Thrawn, partially to be a little shit, but also because she was truly curious about that status. She knew Eira felt something for Thrawn, even if she denied it herself, and she wanted to remind Eira what they were, and what Thrawn was.

What he would do to Eira if he ever found out.

“So there’s nothing going on between you and that admiral?” Lin asked with a slightly hopeful tone. It was all in good play, as he knew nothing would ever happen between him and Eira. Besides, there was too much of an age difference.

Skye held back her own snicker. Lin only asked what she was thinking, but he actually dared to ask in front of everyone, as if reprimanding her for that odd friendship.

~~

“I’ve been to one before, but that was such a long time ago. I can’t remember the name of the place.” Cora may remember the name if she came across it. “But I haven’t heard anything bad about any of them.”

She looked down at Eli’s datapad as he searched for different parks and restaurants with brunch. “Rollercoasters are always fun, though if we’re doing brunch first, maybe a water park could be better?” She could already see herself throwing up on Eli if they were to ride a rollercoaster right after eating.

So much for a second date.

“I think there is one park that has both rollercoasters and a water park,” Cora added. That could always be an option, and open up opportunities for more choices.

~~

Stop being distracted from. Thrawn couldn’t help but to wonder if that was a slight attack on the entire Eira situation. It had to be.

Tarkin had already made comments about Thrawn’s interest in Eira and where it should be instead.

“Yes sir, very soon,” Thrawn promised. He could type up a report now on what he learned about Eira at their spar session, but something held him back from doing just that. At least immediately. “I hope the rest of your day is pleasant.”

After parting words, Thrawn would sign off with a heavy sigh. Tarkin was definitely hiding something concerning Proserpina and what had happened at the gallery, and he needed to find out what it was.

Eira huffed at the question thrown her way by Lin, even if a smile teased onto her lips at his tone. “This was meant to be questions for, or about, Skye,” Eira stated, “And as I’ve told you all, I am friends with Mitth’raw’nuruodo, as I am with Savit. That’s all.”

Maege grumbled doubts, implicating Adlai and her’s break-up.

“It is suspicious timing,” Amita giggled.

Eira just rolled her eyes, “Because Adlai met Skye, and they have a thing,” Eira gestured towards them. “That’s all. We don’t need Adlai’s reputation tanking because he appears to be cheating, right?”

“Suuuure,” Nikhil said. “We’ll be ready when you come clean. Just maybe make it in a month. I have money on this.”

Eira palmed her face.

~***~

There were a few that combined it, though Eli imagined that meant they’d have to use lockers. Not to mention carry bathing suits around with them to the restaurant. Not a huge issue, but it would make them have to decide whether to do the water park first or second.

“We certainly have options for both,” Eli said, moving through the list until he stumbled upon one that he liked. It wasn’t creatively named, “How about the Crown Park?” He said, bringing it up, “It’s near a busy part of Coruscant, so we should definitely be able to find a brunch place there, too.”

And if they wanted to do more afterwards, there was plenty within walking distance before they’d have to consider a speeder or anything of that sort. It was pretty much the touristy part of Coruscant, but he didn’t think that was bad in these circumstances. They were there to have fun, after all – and tourist traps were made for fun.

And milking people of credits.

“Oh, so we’re taking bets on this?” Lin asked, his body perking up at the news. It was just another reason to tease Eira about her peculiar relationship with the Imperial Grand Admiral.

Skye smirked. “If so, put me down for two weeks.” Even if she didn’t want it to happen, she could still participate in the fun that was the betting pool.

“I say three,” Lin added.

As Eira mentioned that she had meant this was a time for questions concerning Skye, the woman in question was happy that the spotlight was temporarily turned back to Eira. Shay’s questions the previous night had been challenging enough.

Though she doubted anyone would grill her quite like Shay.

~~

Cora looked over the page for Crown Park. She couldn’t see anything wrong with it. It seemed fun enough, and it was near a popular shopping district. “I think Crown Park would be good. If we need it, I have a purse large enough to carry swimsuits in.”

It would be a shame to cut any part of the outing short just because of the inconvenience of their swimsuits. She had hoped to spend most of the day with him, if things went well.

And if they did want to continue to hang out after the park, the shopping district would offer many sights and shops for them to peruse while enjoying each other’s company.

Eira kept her hand firmly over her face as the bets continued. No one gave her any credit, it seemed. She let out a sigh as it died down and dropped her hand, but she was at least smiling. She may have been sincerely irritated with every single one of them in the room, but it didn’t show. She would keep the playful demeanor. “I take it no one has questions for Skye, then?”

“You, Adlai, and Shay vouch for her,” Amita said, “that’s enough for me.”

“We’ll have time to get to know her,” Nikhil added, Maege agreeing, “It seems I need to go conveniently disappear for a bit.”

He was heading to Corellia, as Shay knew. Back-up, in case it all went to shit. There was a fair chance the Imperial presence was soon to increase, and he, technically, was a legal bounty hunter. All that needed to happen was the appearance of a supposedly legal bounty for whoever got in their way.

That would never work on Lothal.

There’d never be a hit put on Tarkin, but the Governor of Corellia, or an Inquisitor? Possible. Not that Nikhil wanted to go toe-to-toe with an inquisitor – but even if he did, even if he got caught, they’d be convinced he was following a legal hit.

“Fine, let’s clear out. Stagger yourselves,” Eira advised. They couldn’t draw too much attention to the area.

~***~

Eli honestly thought he might get away with just wearing his swim trunks under his uniform, but that could become problematic after they got wet. He wouldn’t assume he’d carry his swim trucks in a purse then, of course. Either way, he’d be at the park, and they probably sold things like that for people who forgot such things.

They probably sold swimsuits.

Which, Eli realized, he did not have one on the ship.

He didn’t really do any swimming on the Chimaera.

“Actually, I’m going to have to buy trunks there,” he chuckled, “I don’t actually think I have a pair on the ship. Never needed it,” he gave a shrug, “but I think this sounds like a good plan for tomorrow.” Brunch, amusement park, and then it would probably be easier to carry things on if they wanted to.

Skye smiled at those who didn’t question her. They trusted the judgement of those who vouched for her, and she wouldn’t let them down. Not when so many counted on her to succeed on Lothal.

But first, she needed to talk to Eira.

Standing up, Skye made her way over to the woman. “Can I talk to you for a minute?” She paused, before adding with her voice slightly lowered, “Alone?” She hoped Shay, or Lin, wouldn’t want to wonder what they were discussing, if it was about the mission, even if they were headed to two different planets.

She needed to talk about the Inquisitors. About what Eira had planned, if anything.

~~

Cora didn’t consider that Eli may not have had swim trunks on the ship already. She had one in her closet. It took up very little space, and in the words of her sister, You never know when you’re going to need it.

And now she would be wearing it for her first date with Eli.

“Oh, that’s fine. It should be easy to find somewhere to get some trunks before we get to the water park,” she said. Or at the water park. They usually had a small shop for such items, even if it will be more expensive.

“But yes, this sounds like it will be a fun day tomorrow,” she echoed Eli’s sentiments with a smile. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Eira arched a brow at Skye’s question, but nodded, “Of course,” she would step away from her seat, giving a glance to Shay that more or less said she was going to have a discussion with Skye. No doubt, Adlai would wait, but the others would begin to file out.

Eira led Skye back from the group, but not into a separate room. If Skye thought it was necessary, she had at least taken them towards a door that she could use to step further away, and into another area.

“What do you need?” Eira asked, curious about what Skye wanted to talk about. She assumed something related to their shared history, or else she wouldn’t have needed to step aside, but she was hoping not. Not here, of all places. This was still a base. And it was still bugged by Shay. Anything said was at risk of being overheard by Shay, at some point.

She wouldn’t say that, though.

Warning Skye, would also lead to Shay overhearing that.

~***~

Eli figured it would be easy enough to get the swim trunks. A bit pricey, but this would hopefully be well worth the price. Good company, a fun park, what wasn’t to be excited for? Eli hoped it would all work out nicely. “Yeah – so am I,” he agreed, no hesitation or doubt in his tone at all as he said it.

“Hey!”

Eli looked up, and saw Faro had arrived. His cheeks went scarlet, mostly for the realization that Faro was likely soon to know what was going on between them, and he wasn’t sure what level of teasing he was going to have to endure from her. Naturally, the blush helped him not at all with avoiding that, as Faro noticed when she approached and took a seat.

“What? Am I interrupting something, Eli?” She asked, playing innocent, but of course, she was not at all innocent in this matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back