• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

To Cora, it seemed that her words helped ease Eli some. She knew the stress was still there, for his friend and commanding officer. Even Cora felt some of those nerves for their Grand Admiral. She knew of what many people thought of aliens, heard their unkind words, and this would only exacerbate Thrawn’s delicate position.

Her hand gently squeezed his shoulder once more before she let go.

She shrugged. “Nothing from personal experience, but I have seen many scandals over the years, and seen how they had been handled, whether successfully or not. I may be able to offer advice for how he can navigate the elites and politics throughout this, but I’m not promising full success.”

Cora didn’t want to promise something and end up failing. “I wish I could offer more to help.”

~~

Thrawn merely nodded at Tarkin’s words, not interjecting with his own thoughts before the Governor disconnected their line. While what the man said didn’t insult him any, he could practically feel the discontent and anger at the entire situation at hand. He felt those same emotions bubbling inside.

He couldn’t allow another slip-up like Kashyyyk. Wouldn’t allow it.

After the datapad was slipped back into his pocket, he marched over to where Faro was questioning the Queen and her daughter, and told her to continue the line of questioning with others as well, once she was done with Breha. Thrawn had a specific person in mind he needed to talk to.

Eira, from what he could see, looked upset, more so than just a few minutes ago. So does she already know of the news? That is what he intended to find out, as well as gauge her level of involvement, if any.

He approached the group, ignoring the others to set his sight on Eira. “Miss Nevan,” his voice void of any expression, “may I speak with you in private for a moment?”

~~

Skye shrugged. Even if they didn’t need her as long as the others, it would still feel wrong for her to leave the others behind, so she made herself comfortable, or as comfortable as one can be, on the cold floor.

Would the entire situation blow over in a week? Maybe in the gossip columns, but the emotional toll would last longer. For Eira. Maybe even for Thrawn.

Who, speaking of which, approached them to ask to speak with Eira. Skye shot Adlai a questioning look. Should we be worried? Did he already know? Or had he been too busy with the events of the evening to learn of Kashyyyk? We’ll find out soon enough.

Eli shook his head, “I don’t think anyone can promise full success,” the gentle squeeze remained felt, even if her hand was gone. He observed Thrawn approach Eira, and their move to another area. Of course, he couldn’t go speak to Thrawn now.

He supposed this may have looked bad to others – to see Eira and Thrawn aside, together, in the midst of all this. ‘Good thing this is locked down right now.’

None of them looked happy.

“Well…what thoughts do you have?” He asked, since they couldn’t go speak to Thrawn. “I know Thrawn. I may be able to consider what’s…actually reasonable to ask of him, or what he’ll end up…well…flubbing.”

Eli knew he’d still want to present it all to Thrawn, but he’d have some time to think and advise Thrawn on it – or let Thrawn know what it really meant, at any rate.

~***~

“It’s Eira, still, Mitth'raw'nuruodo.”

Adlai let Eira rise without interjecting anything. It was only too easy to hear the hurt when she spoke to Mitth’raw’nuruodo and corrected him on the name. The man wanted distance – but Eira wasn't granting it, not using his title, or the Core version of his name, in driving home their acquaintancship up to that point.

She wasn’t going to let him think this matter erased anything. She wasn't going to let this ruin it.

“Yes. It seems there’s a bit to speak about right now,” not relating to the gallery. She wouldn’t plead ignorance. She could hardly do so, with streaks on her cheeks and eyes still a bit red, still a bit wet. She wasn’t comfortable, but who could expect her to be? None of this was what she desired.

She would easily follow Mitth’raw’nuruodo to where he wanted to speak, not intending to dismiss Adlai or the others from the area, though Amilyn looked after her with a worried gaze.

They wouldn’t be left alone long. Karyn Faro approached them, managing a rough, but sincere, smile for the group, “Hello, Count Adlai, miss Amilyn, and miss ass-kicker,” she may have heard the name, but she was completely forgetting it for the blonde.

A bit of the personal seemed to help. Karyn wasn’t there to cause undo harm or stress, just to gather information. Her datapad was recording everything. Later, Thrawn might prefer to listen himself to check for anything askew. “I’m Karyn Faro,” she introduced, “I’m sorry these assholes decided to ruin and delay your evenings, but I’m hoping I could ask you all a few questions?”

Amilyn nodded, though Faro couldn’t help but note how somber and morose she seemed in the moment.

“Of course,” the Count sighed.

One piece of advice Cora wanted to give Thrawn right then was to not seek out privacy with the very woman who thrusted him into this scandal. It just...did not look good for him. For either of them.

She sighed, shifting her focus from Thrawn back on Eli. “It’s kind of a difficult situation right now, given the biases that were already against him. Staying out of the public eye will only lead to speculations, while attending more formal events may lead to some less-than-pleasant encounters, though it could serve to help him to just...be out there and conversing with the elites and politicians.”

Thrawn may improve his image if he joined those elites in other ritzy functions, such as the one that was so rudely interrupted that evening. It may persuade some to ignore what the media said, or Thrawn would get laughed at right in his face. “And since many of our higher officers are in these same circles, it will be important to try and convince him to ignore this libel, if that is even necessary.”

Another sigh. “Basically, I think we will have to teach him about how to navigate politics.”

~~

Thrawn wouldn’t say anything of her reminder, nor of her use of his name, but he wouldn’t allow himself the familiarity right then. Not when that familiarity may have led to the destruction of the Imperial base.

Her reddened eyes and her lightly tear-stained cheeks wanted to allow Thrawn the sincerity of her sorrows, that she had nothing to do with this incident at all. She’s an actress. She lies for a living. She could easily be lying about this as well.

Thrawn silently led her to one of the corridors, completely void of anyone who could eavesdrop on their conversation. If their privacy led to more idle gossip, then so be it.

“I am certain you are already aware of the events that transpired on Kashyyyk today, are you not, Miss Nevan?” He ignored her request for the use of her first name. It wasn’t a luxury he would allow for either of them, even as the obvious sorrow stained on her face pulled at his heart.

“Have you heard of the name Saw Gerrara?” She certainly mingled with enough suspected rebels, Thrawn imagined she would at least know of him, if not outright have met him before. Or more.

Eira and Thrawn left to talk in private, and not a minute later, another Imperial officer came up to the group, although Skye couldn’t quite know what to make of her yet.

She did appreciate the nickname for herself. A slight smile touched her lips. “That may not be my name, but I do like it. I may have a new nickname.” She wanted to chuckle at the thought of Adlai introducing his new bodyguard, Miss Ass-Kicker, in formal situations, to very important politicians and the like.

Skye nodded as well, gesturing for Karyn to continue. “Yes, you may, although I don’t know how helpful we’ll be exactly.” She didn’t know who those guys were. All she knew was that they wanted the Queen and willing to kill anyone else.

Eli suspected that encounters were better than speculation, which Cora seemed to agree with. Less-than-pleasant encounters at least allowed Thrawn to be heard, and to be seen, and to help create his story in the aftermath. They could even be learning opportunities for others, but only if Thrawn played it right.

“I’m definitely not the person to help him with politics,” Eli sighed. He knew Thrawn had once hoped to learn a bit, and take help from, Pryce, but that relationship was fairly strained right now. “I don’t think it will be difficult to get him to go out to things, at least.”

That was part of why Thrawn was here – to improve. Tarkin wouldn’t want Thrawn hiding. “But I think you’ll do a better job coaching him as to what he should do in various situations he might encounter.”

Eli was always more for the blunt approach. All this fake smiles and nicety just read as insincere bullshit to him. Not that he expected Thrawn to do any fake-smiles or niceties, but still…he was sure Thrawn would at least try tact.

Maybe.

~***~

Miss Nevan, again.

Eira’s head tilted up, a defiant jut of her chin that did nothing to hide how his continued use of ‘Miss Nevan’ hurt. Her jaw clenched. On top of what happened, now this? Now that damned article was going to ruin this? ‘You’re not going to cry again.’ She was going to try, anyways. Mitth’raw’nuruodo was hurt, too. This was how he dealt with it. Distance.

“I am aware,” she answered, “Amilyn showed me,” she wouldn’t lie. There was nothing to lie about. “I have heard of Saw Gerrara – he’s a violent extremist.” She wouldn’t be forgetting this.

She wouldn’t be working with Saw again, either. He’d gone against what was agreed upon. Perhaps it was because of opportunity, but she wasn’t entirely convinced. Cham Syndulla had a habit of doing it, too.

Less was more. Eira knew better than to profess anything further about Saw. She would follow Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s questions, but she wouldn’t hang herself by talking too much.

~***~

Adlai rolled his eyes at Skye’s enjoyment of the nickname. He wouldn’t make further comment to it, and was glad she agreed to this.

Karyn nodded, “I will still need to get your name for the record, Miss Ass-Kicker,” Karyn allowed with some humor, a smile.

Adlai would let Skye introduce herself, rather than speak up, “Then I’ll want to know first what brought all of you to the gallery,” she said. A question that would likely seem strange to them all, but getting a feel for motivations, and making sure they all fell in line, was important.

They needed a holistic picture.

No, Cora didn’t imagine it would be terribly hard to convince Thrawn to go out more. He seemed that he understood his appearance was necessary at various functions, and he knew there was some kind of game to be played here. He just...needed help with the rules of the game.

She gently tugged on her lower lip with her teeth at the suggestion of helping Thrawn. “I-I could.” Not that she didn’t want to, but the man was still Grand Admiral. He was still intimidating to her, even if it was apparent that he only wanted the best for his crew on the Chimaera.

Unlike other Imperial officers at or near his rank.

She nodded. “Yeah, I can do that. I’m familiar with many of these social events and had to feign niceties myself. I can help him understand things better.” Oy vey, this will be a daunting task.

~~

The jutting of her chin. The clenching of her jaw. It was clear what Thrawn had sad, how he addressed her, had upset Eira. The guilt he immediately felt was strange, but he wanted nothing more than to fix his transgression against her and see her smile again.

Not now. Now, she was a suspect for him, and Tarkin’s words reminded Thrawn of the task at hand concerning Eira Nevan. Nothing more than an assignment.

So far, her answers were standard. Many knew Saw Gerrara as a violent extremist, so her words offered no new insight, nor did any twitch of her body language suggest anything else. Nothing from what he could immediately see.

Still, he wanted to see how she would further answer his questions. “What more can you tell me about Saw Gerrara?”

~~

Skye didn’t understand why they needed her name. It’s not like it will make a difference in figuring out who caused this mess. It’s not like she will give them her real name.

But she ‘complied.’ “My name’s Skye Vind,” she answered. “And like many people, I came here for the opening celebrations of this gallery.” She thought that was obvious enough. Or, well, it was obvious to others why most people would’ve been at the gallery that evening.

“Probably much like yourself,” she added, gesturing towards Faro’s formal wear, unless Imperial officers were now wearing dresses for questioning, but Skye highly doubted that. Besides, she had seen the woman earlier that evening.

Eli could easily sense Cora’s hesitation as she pulled at her lip and stammered over agreement. It was likely quite intimidating for her to consider that she’d have to teach a Grand Admiral anything. It wasn’t usually how things went, after all. “Hey, he’ll be receptive. He knows his good areas.”

And he knew his bad ones, which was something most didn’t acknowledge. “We just have to let him know how you can help, and why you can help, which shouldn’t be hard.”

Although they would likely have to wait until they were back on the Chimaera before they could really speak to Thrawn about this. It seemed he was going to be busy with his own dilemma for a bit, and Faro was questioning people.

They would plan to help Thrawn.

“We should sort the prisoners,” he said, and glanced back to where Ortell had dragged plenty of them, “Point out which ones we’re keeping,” he said, “and then we can get the others outside and to the Coruscanti police.” Thrawn had wanted some for his own questioning, and Cora would hopefully be able to recognize them.

The others, they needed to get out of here – to control the situation better.

~***~

This was just questioning.

This was just part of Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s job in the wake of two terrible situations. He was distancing himself to see her otherwise, the way she would step into a new persona in a play.

It didn’t change the fact that every bit of distance still hurt, no matter how Eira rationalized it to herself. She forced herself to focus on the questions and not on that, but it lingered. “He’s spoken of in some of my circles,” Eira admitted, which was true, “many senators who want to see changes find him to be an immense disappointment and frustrating complication because he paints them all in a bad light with his actions across the galaxy. Adlai doesn’t like him, I know that.” Never once did she break her gaze away. Never once did her eyes dart, or did she shuffle.

Tell-tale signs of liars were already removed from Eira’s body language, and there was enough truth in her other emotional displays to cast doubt on any nervous reaction, anyways. Enough in the somber way she answered, the slow acceptance of her changed role in Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s eyes, to remove plenty of suspicion of lying. The sad rarely lied. They were already beaten.

Besides, Adlai would be one of those senators, and so it would be his circle. Nothing condemning about knowing people who wanted to see changes in the Empire, and who wanted it done peacefully.

All of that was true, even if they’d taken a gamble this once, because it was Kashyyyk, and because Kashyyyk was still something special to Eira, and now she was paying for that decision.

She wanted to say that she didn’t ask for this. That Mitth’raw’nuruodo couldn’t have known this would happen, either, but she kept that back. Protesting would not help either of them in the moment.

~***~

Karyn wanted to indicate it was just protocol, but didn’t. Skye likely knew that, and so, she just shrugged. The name wouldn’t mean much, unless the name had ties to some sort of criminal group, or they had reason to question her again, in which case the name would help them to find her.

She nodded at Skye’s assessment of the reasoning, Adlai chuckling. “We’re not all here for those reasons,” he said, but added, “I was here more to network with Queen Breha a bit, I mostly see her husband, and Eira wanted to come here, as well. It seemed a win-win,” he answered.

Amilyn piped up, “Leia’s my friend,” no formality, “And this was the one day she was going to be here. I have duties as an intern so I don’t get to see her much anymore.”

Faro nodded, not finding it surprising that a politician was there to network in the least. “Thank you,” she did say, “And – I know, I know – did any of you recognize any of the people who tried to assault Queen Breha today?”

“No,” Adlai said.

“No,” Amilyn echoed.

Even if they had, Faro doubted she’d get a straight answer.

Once again, Cora nodded. Eli’s words did much to ease her apprehension to the thought of advising Thrawn through something. Not because she didn’t like the Chiss; she admired him greatly. But he was still intimidating, and she didn’t wish to give him advice that turned south.

She offered Eli a warm smile. “Thank you.” He always seemed to know what to say to calm her nerves, and Cora took notice of that fact. She may not have had him in her life for very long, but already she didn’t know what she would do without his words of encouragement.

Her eyes shifted around to where the officers had corralled the mercenaries around the room. “I think the ones who directly threatened Queen Breha should be taken in,” she suggested, nodding her head in the direction of the front of the atrium, where the incident started, and where those four mercenaries still laid on the floor. The only ones disguised as security.

“We should go ahead and tell the other officers to start handing the other mercenaries over to the police and get this gallery cleared out.” Cora didn’t imagine that the guests would want to stay for much longer. She herself couldn’t wait to get back to the ship and relax from the evening.

~~

The answer Eira gave answered his theories of how involved Saw Gerrara was with varying groups. Even those associated with Eira.

Thrawn still didn’t want to lay the blame on her shoulders, but he couldn’t shake off the coincidence of the timing of everything. And one thing he learned over the years, was that there was no such thing as coincidences. People are often more clever than their enemy give them credit for.

“I see,” he murmured, lightly rubbing his chin with his forefinger and thumb while shuffling through his thoughts. Her body seemed sure enough of her words. He couldn’t immediately pinpoint any tell-tale signs of a lie, or a stretched truth.

“I suspect more questioning may come up in the coming days, so I would highly recommend to not leave Coruscant,” he advised. There was more to be done, and since the questions didn’t provide anything of noteworthy for the time being, he needed to see about the mercenaries.

His hands clasped behind his back. “I thank you for your cooperation, Miss...” he paused, before reconsidering, “Eira.”

~~

Skye could only shrug at the reasons Adlai presented for why some of them were there. Politics. Something she still knew very little about, but had a feeling she would need to learn more in the coming future if she were to blend in properly as Adlai’s bodyguard.

Or maybe knowing nothing would be perfect for her role.

“No,” Skye answered as well. While she knew many...unsavory characters, the ones she knocked around did not look familiar in the least.

But she did think to ask the question she knew weighed on everyone’s mind. “How much longer do you think you’ll need us here?”

Eli bit the inside of his cheek to stop himself from commenting that he wasn’t concerned with who Cora wanted to take in. She said the same as Thrawn, so he decided to consider it an error of her wording, and not forgetfulness or an attempt to overstep her authority in the moment.

He still didn’t know which ones those were.

He assumed Cora did, based on her look and nod, “All right,” he agreed, and moved towards the two Ensigns. “Lieutenant-Commander Suvan has information relating to the prisoners. We will be keeping a few for questioning on the Chimaera. The others we need to get to the Coruscanti police. She will direct you on which ones. The ones we’re returning to the Chimaera should be put on a transport immediately.”

They needed to clear this place out of hostiles, immediately. The less hostiles, the better odds of keeping problems contained.

~***~

Eira had no plans to leave Coruscant soon. Her own involvement in Kashyyyk would make that look terrible, particularly if anything followed. She would have to be on lockdown. Adlai would likely be the one doing any traveling for a while, or Lin may have to step up into her role a little. They’d all discuss it soon enough, but for the time being, she nodded.

“I will not be making any plans to leave Coruscant for at least a couple of weeks. Should you need me, you know how to reach me.”

And how once she would have been delighted to see his name pop up. Likely, she wouldn’t feel much of that delight for a while. It would be questions about the situation, which meant prying into a life he wasn’t meant to know of. Eira didn’t doubt her ability to hide it, but she still didn’t enjoy the harsh reminder of where they stood.

His ‘miss’ was yet another of those, no matter his movement to her first name. A side of her lip quirked a bit, but the damage was done. “Am I dismissed for the time being, Mitth’raw’nuruodo?” She wouldn’t devolve to calling him ‘Grand Admiral’, no matter.

~***~

Those were all the answers that Karyn expected – negative ones. She nodded, and glanced to Skye, before looking over at Mitth’raw’nuruodo. “I’m sure we’ll be allowed to start dismissing those we’ve finished questioning soon, but I’m not certain.” The situation was unfamiliar to her, in truth.

But there were still more questions to ask. Why they were there, if they knew the people, “I just have a few general questions left,” she promised, “and I know some of these are obvious, but we do need a full picture of everyone here.” It had sounded strange asking Queen Breha these, and it would sound just as strange asking Adlai. Still, tracing things would be important.

“What is it you all do for a living?” And then, she added, “And did you hear any rumors about activity at the gallery? Or are you familiar with any enemies Queen Breha may have?”

Adlai arched a brow, then, “I work with the Senator of Serenno, I represent Serenno’s interests to him as one of the Counts, and I am an active lobbyist.” He hoped that Skye had an answer that wouldn’t start to unravel her. “I know the Queen has enemies in the Senate, and I’m sure a few might have tried to do her harm, though I’m not sure any would bother with kidnapping when assassination is cleaner.”

“Would you be able to name them?”

“I could compile a list if needed.” Adlai offered.

Faro nodded, and looked next to Amilyn. “I’m an aide to both Eira Nevan and Senator Maia of Gatalenta,” Amilyn answered. “I didn’t know of anything that was going to happen, though I thought it might be exciting. Her Grace wouldn’t have brought her daughter if she suspected anything, either. No matter public appearances,” she clasped her hands in her lap, “I didn’t know of anything either, but I know, like Adlai, there are some in the Senate who don’t like Queen Breha or her husband. Maybe they wanted to intimidate him by kidnapping her?”

Cora didn’t consider her words in the given moment. She was tired. She had a headache forming. She just wanted to go back to her quarters and rest. And if it meant exerting a bit more authority than she had, then so be it.

It was better than eventually snapping at everyone, including Eli.

The two ensigns stood at attention when Commaner Eli Vanto addressed them. Tobias spare a glance at Cora, then shifted back to Eli. They both nodded at the order, and awaited further instruction from Cora.

She nodded. “Right, okay, follow me,” she ordered, leading them towards the front side of the atrium. She stopped a few feet from the original four mercenaries still prone on the floor, frozen from pain at broken bones. Her head nodded at them, and the ensigns didn’t hesitate to make work of arresting the four and calling for some other officers to help them with transporting the four to the ship.

~~

A strange sensation, but Thrawn still felt some semblance of guilt and regret with Eira. It was clear to him that her overall demeanor had changed, even if she was proving to be the talented actress she was.

An actress.

A harsh reminder that she could very well be playing her best role yet, and somehow, he couldn’t figure her out.

Thrawn didn’t know if that infuriated him or enthralled him.

“Indeed I do.” And he already foresaw himself contact her, to make some excuse of needing to question her even further. Eira was too much of a puzzle.

“You are dismissed for the time, Eira,” he said, catching note of her pronunciation. “But I don’t think you will have to worry about practicing my name any more in your free time.” Slight mirth shone in his eyes. “You are one of the few humans who have been able to pronounce my name with accuracy.”

~~

Skye waited for the others to answer Officer Faro’s question first. All the people of much higher importance in the galaxy than herself, whose names and faces were actually knows.

For all they knew, she was just an anonymous face in the sea of patrons who wanted to enjoy the art that evening.

Skye found herself just wanting to get to where she was sleeping that evening and care for her building headache, not answer anymore questions. But she had to stay until they were given the official okay to go, unless she wanted to look suspicious towards anyone.

Once the others finished answering, Skye chimed in, “I am the bodyguard for Count Malvern.” Plain and clear enough, she hoped. “I do not know Queen Breha very well, so I don’t know about any rumors or enemies concerning her.”

And atfter a moment of silence, she added in, “But she’s a political figure, surely that in of itself would be motivation enough for someone who wants some credits?”

Eli let Cora do her thing without stepping forward to assist further. Thankfully, the Ensigns didn’t question anything after he’d introduced Cora, and she was able to move about and easily get the prisoners gathered up to be transported.

‘We’ll learn something from them.’ He glanced around the room to see where he might be able to offer more help.

Eli took note of how only the four were being isolated and taken away, so he moved to exit the building and reach out to the Stormtroopers outside, glad to see the Coruscanti police had arrived, too.

“Excuse me, sir,” he addressed one of the officers, “I am Commander Vanto. We have apprehended multiple individuals who are suspect with the events of the gallery attack. I can show you to them.”

The officer nodded, “Thank you. Lead the way, Commander Vanto.” And Eli did, bringing the officer in as the four were being escorted out. Though the officer noticed, he apparently made the wise decision of also looking the other way and just rounding up the remaining individuals.

~***~

Eira gave a nod, accepting her dismissal. She wouldn’t actually leave without Adlai, of course, but she could step out of Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s way and nurse her heart a little, speak to it until it quelled its pain with rationality. Or consider where to get gelato. That eased all pain.

As it was, the chiss himself offered a balm of sorts, his glittering red eyes speaking to it before his words did. Eira’s smile was fuller, happier, as he commended her pronunciation at last. She would make note of how she said it, that time, exactly.

“Until I can say it without thinking, I will continue to practice, Mitth’raw’nuruodo,” Eira answered, though she was happy to have gotten it. She intended to keep the skill, to memorize it, the way she had memorized plenty of songs. “Thank you,” she inclined her head and stepped back, “I will be available and in Coruscant,” a promise for the business matter, “I will not stay in your way any longer with your business here.”

And much as she wanted to go speak to Breha, she would not, but she would step away from Mitth’raw’nuruodo and take a glance to her friends, before finding a place to wait.

~***~

Adlai noticed.

Amilyn noticed.

Already, Adlai was thinking of how he could remedy this, of how he might be able to backdate Skye’s position. Even if he did, her answer would be strange. And how many may have heard him introduce Eira to Skye? Did the cameras have audio?

‘Fuck.’

If Karyn Faro noticed, she didn’t make it obvious. She just took in the answers, seeming more interested in getting the answers done with than anything, “It’s always possible for someone like the Queen to have enemies after her for credits, or no credits,” Karyn agreed, “but we have to narrow it down to punish those who went after her. We can’t let people think they’re allowed to do this.”

Still, that seemed the most crucial information. “If we have any further questions, can we have contact information?”

“Of course,” Amilyn was quick to rattle off hers.

Adlai also gave his just as easily. It was already public information. He wanted to answer for Skye, but couldn’t think of a way to do so that wasn’t suspicious – and in lieu of her already suspicious answer, he thought it was better if it all still seemed, well…on the level.

Cora noted that Eli walked off, and while she desired to follow after him, she stayed behind to watch the ensigns prepare the men to be taken to the ship. They needed special attention, due to the injuries the blonde woman had inflicted on them. Not someone I would want to piss off.

They were in the process of being escorted out by the ensigns as Eli returned with true Coruscanti police. Cora gave a polite nod to the officers before they rounded up the remaining mercenaries, and she gave a glance to Eli.

It had been different to actually see him in his element, instead of being her dancing pupil or aiding her in combat lessons. She could see why he worked so closely with Thrawn, from the moment the flash bombs set off in the atrium.

She strolled over to where Eli stood. “You did great tonight,” she offered. “The flash bombs? That was some amazing quick thinking.”

~~

The smile brought forth from Eira tugged at Thrawn’s own emotions. A wider smile threatened to tug at the corner of his lips, but he contained himself. Now was not the time nor the place to display such emotions.

And he still wanted to try to at least attempt to maintain some distance from Eira, even if he knew that was a rapidly failing situation.

“Very well, Eira. I shall expect flawless pronunciation in the near future.” And although he wasn’t fully serious, he knew to expect Eira to practice in her free time and attempt to do just that. She wouldn’t disappoint him.

Yet, there was that tugging sensation in the back of his mind that he hadn’t put together all the pieces yet surrounding Eira Nevan. And Tarkin’s words still echoed in his memory, reminding him of the severity of his mission at hand. He already fucked up once.

“It was a pleasure to see you tonight,” he said. With a slight inclination of his head, Thrawn spotted Eli, near Cora, and he made his way over to the two. “Officer Vanto, Suvan,” he greeted. “Have you found any additional information about our mercenaries?”

~~

Skye didn’t notice her slip-up at first. She did notice a shift in tone within Adlai and Amilyn, but for obvious reasons, she didn’t comment on it. Not with Officer Faro still taking notes and questions from them.

She gave Faro her contact information as well, but inwardly debated if she should destroy her datapad and get a new one. But now she knows you’re connected to these people. There went that idea.

Her eyes wandered over to where Eira and Thrawn had walked off to, and it seemed they were done. She was waiting, and while Skye wanted to wave her over, she had no reason to. It may add to a list of suspicions against her. Okay but seriously, what did I say. I said something wrong.

She would wait until Faro left before she would ask.

Eli’s gaze shifted to Cora as she approached, a compliment on her lips. He blinked once in surprise, before a bit of a sheepish smile touched his lips. He was, of course, used to doing well, and hearing some manner of praise for it – but it came unexpectedly from Cora. “Oh, uh, thanks. I knew we had to minimize damage to the environment, and I knew this was a contained area, so I figured they would work out best,” he noted, explaining the logic that had come so easily to him.

Thrawn approached, not far behind Cora, now done speaking with Eira, apparently.

Eli shook his head, “No, sir,” he answered, “I think Lieutenant-Commander Faro will have better luck with that. She’s taken the initiative to continue questioning those at the gallery. I and Lieutenant-Commander Suvan have cleared the perimeter and seen the prisoners to their respective places. Suvan identified the four you requested be taken to the Chimaera.”

So that much was handled.

“Under some questioning, I’m sure we’ll get more information from those four,” Eli added. Though there was nothing at present, he anticipated they would have what they needed soon.

~***~

Karyn suspected she had all she would get at this time. If more was needed, she had contact information for everyone she’d been speaking with, and she would continue with the remaining groups in the gallery. “Thank you,” she said to them all, “Hopefully there will be no need for follow-up,” she knew that went without saying.

Follow-ups would be bad.

But Karyn was, of course, honestly hoping that no one remaining standing was involved in this. She wanted to get enough from the mercenaries they had taken into custody. “I hope you all can enjoy the rest of your evening.” It was genuine enough, before she bowed her head, and moved on to the next group.

Eira approached only after she had parted to go about her questioning. “Well?” Adlai asked, as she took a seat besides him.

Eira just shook her head. Not then, not there. He nodded and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. They still had to wait for the all-clear to actually leave, after all. She leaned into his side, careful not to lean too much – he was still injured, and while the bacta would heal it soon, it would be tender for at least the night.

“I hope they can figure out who did this,” Amilyn said, looking across the room to where Leia and Breha were.

“They will,” Eira answered, “You can back to them, if you like,” she added, noting the look. Amilyn perked a bit. “I’m sure you’ll want to stay with Leia tonight, anyways.”

“Thank you,” Amilyn was quick to rise, and scurry over to that group, embracing Leia almost immediately, before doing much the same with Breha. Their parts were over, for now.

Cora wanted to compliment Eli further, praising the realization that he had to minimize damage to the environment and did so flawlessly (even if the argument that some permanent damage to seeing or hearing could be made).

Before she could, Thrawn walked up to them, and any further thought fled Cora’s mind.

Upon Eli’s answer, Thrawn spared a glance at Cora before addressing his Commander. “Thank you for your help, Command,” he said with a nod. “And your quick thinking to help spare an important collection of cultural significance.” Undoubtedly he would’ve had a stroke if the art was ruined, but he did recognize that the lives of the people were more important.

He was just happy a decision between the two didn’t have to be made.

“Continue finishing up here,” he said. “I will go inquire as to what answers Officer Faro may have.” With that, he stepped away from the duo and made his way over to Faro. “Have you found any information concerning our mercenaries?” Thrawn asked once he was close enough.

No beating around the bush. They had an investigation to conduct.

~~

Skye’s light eyes followed Eira as she rejoined the group. There were many words the former Jedi wanted to say to her, but they would have to wait until another time.

Not in public. Maybe not even in front of Adlai, even if Skye was certain he knew almost every there was to know about Eira.

She curled her legs up and wrapped her arms around them as her eyes flickered to what was going on in the rest of the atrium. Arrests and questions, nothing more at the moment.

Their newfound peace though had been interrupted. Someone else hurried up to the group, breathless and heart pounding in his chest. Immediately Skye noted his shirt, untucked in one spot, and the barest hint of a red lipstick on his neck. His mop of curls was, well, still an unruly mop of curls.

“Shit, I’m sorry,” he breathed, bending over to rest his hands on his knees as he struggled to regain his breath. “I was helping some people to escape and got stuck outside by some of the officers.”

Skye only believed half his story.

At this point, it was overseeing that the guards got people out, so there wasn’t much to be done so far as action was concerned. Eli still gave a nod to Thrawn’s command, and moved so he would be at an advantageous position to watch what was going on.

He did note that Karyn and Thrawn moved aside, and he wondered if she’d actually found anything else out.

He doubted it.

He folded his arms over his chest, not a defensive measure in the moment, just one because he had nothing else to do with his arms and he was a bit tense over all of it. “I think we should be able to clear things out soon,” he said to Cora, “and then get back to the ship,” he gave her a sympathetic smile, “I’m sorry your time out had to be so short. Did you have time to enjoy the gallery?”

~***~

Karyn shook her head, “Everyone’s pleading ignorant,” Karyn answered, “but I’ve recorded their answers for review. I got everyone’s name, and their contact information, as well as anyone they’re associated with. I didn’t question anyone alone.”

No one really came alone, it seemed, which was useful. If they couldn’t track someone down, they might be able to track down their friends and go from there.

“I can go ahead and send the recordings to you, so you can go over them later. I don’t think I missed anyone.”

She completely missed Lin, who she assumed left early, and didn’t see right then.

~***~

Eira’s gaze was cold on Lin as he returned. A part of her wanted to stand up, and slap him.

Musician he may be, reputation he may have, but he was also a rebel. One of hers for that matter, and he should have done more than go out and make-out with someone who was likely ever-so-thankful to him.

Adlai definitely saw that burning gaze out of the corner of his eyes. He spoke first, “We’re glad to see you safe, Lin.” In public, he technically didn’t know Lin very well. Only through association with Eira, really.

He squeezed Eira’s shoulder a bit to remind her. Not that she needed it. The fire didn’t quite fade from her gaze, because she didn’t want it to – but she reacted no further than that. “Indeed. Though I wonder if we should take you to a medic. There’s a stain, right…” she reached up onto her own attire and brushed off the offending area on herself.

He’d recognize what she meant.

And what was there.

His lie wasn’t a good one with such evidence.

Cora remained next to Eli, where she would continue to do so until they were ready to leave. Not much more needed to be done though, just wait for the appropriate people to be arrested, and give the signal to the Coruscanti police that they were done.

She shrugged nonchalantly. “It’s alright. While I didn’t have a chance to enjoy the entire gallery, I can safely say this was the most exciting gallery opening I’ve been to.” She smiled. “Although I don’t think I would want a repeat.”

No, next time could end up much worse. They were lucky that Eli and officers responded quickly enough.

“Did anything happen on the ship while we were away?” Cora doubted much of anything happened, with the given timeframe and the fact they were stationed above Coruscant.

Still, she wanted their conversation to continue.

~~

Thrawn wasn’t the least bit surprised that everyone pleaded ignorant. Most, he suspected, would truly be ignorant of what happened. But those few who weren’t, he expected to be able to uncover their lies soon enough with the work Karyn did.

“Very good, Officer Faro,” he commended. Although it would have been best to individually question people, especially those in the same social circles, Thrawn expected to find some flaws in some of the interrogations.

“Yes, go ahead and send me the recordings.” He would get started on sifting through them that evening, once he was back in his chambers.

And they were nearly done there. Once the Coruscanti police were done, he himself would leave to go back to the Chimaera.

“Go ahead and let the guests know that they can leave,” he said to Faro.

~~

Lin recognized the cold stare on Eira’s face, and he did his best to ignore it. It was all he could do. Though when she mentioned the stain on his neck, Lin’s face flushed deep red, and his hand slapped over the offending area.

Skye had to move a hand over her mouth to contain her snicker. Eira may not find the situation hilarious, but Skye thought it was hysterical.

“Oh, um, well…” Lin started to stammer. He then paused, before a smile crossed his face. “I’m so glad to see that you all are alright as well.” He walked closer to them and sat in front so he could see them all.

Lin really hoped Eira wouldn’t attack him in public.

“Or, maybe not all of us?” He questioned, motioning towards Adlai’s shoulder. “Are you okay?”

Eli certainly hoped this was the most exciting gallery visit – he didn’t want to consider what would be more exciting and hoped there wouldn’t be a repeat anytime soon. “Yeah…I hope we don’t have another like this anytime soon, either.”

Though if it was while he and Thrawn were on Coruscant, he thought that might work out well.

He shrugged his shoulders at her question. “Not much,” he said, “some Senator of Corellia paid a visit to try and get around the red tape of the senate to get unauthorized assistance with something they wouldn’t tell me about, and I found out Ortell makes cookies,” he gestured to one of the Ensigns, “so we have to convince him to make some, soon.”

He had a craving now.

The Corellian thing would be discussed more with Thrawn, but seeing as he had yet to mention it to him, he wouldn’t be elaborating much more. Not that he had much more to say besides the Senator’s name, of course.

And thankfully, Faro was now clearing out the guests.

They’d get to leave soon.

~***~

Eira wouldn’t, of course, actually hurt Lin. His response to being called out was somewhat satisfying, but she remained annoyed that he had tried to lie in the first place. Perhaps some of what he said was true, but there remained one glaring omission that put it all into question.

Adlai couldn’t quite help his own snicker at Lin’s expense, either. He did look to his own shoulder, the jacket’s burned hole, and he sighed, “I got shot. It’s nothing terribly serious, I’ll just rest a bit more than usual to make sure my arm recovers.”

Faro had taken her leave of Thrawn’s side by then, though was maneuvering files on her datapad to send to him. “Excuse me,” she raised her voice to fill the area, knowing she’d still have to do a walk through to make sure to dismiss everyone. “We appreciate your cooperation through this tense situation. All guests of the gallery are free to leave at this time.”

Eira glanced to Adlai, and he gave a resigned sigh. She moved an arm around his back, and helped him get to his feet. She wouldn’t call Amilyn back over – she’d let her stay with Leia.

Another time, another place, she’d speak with Breha.

Not now.

Adlai would take the lead once he was on his feet to the exit of the gallery, both Eira and himself dropping their arms. He didn’t need further help, and with his own wound it was a bit awkward. He also had a feeling Eira wasn’t going back with them all the way.

Cora raised an eyebrow at Eli’s recollection of his evening. The senator situation didn’t surprise her. She knew that some would try and take advantage of Thrawn now that they had easy access to him. But the ensign and the cookies?

She glanced over at Ortell for a second. “Really? I would have never guessed.” Baking wasn’t exactly a popular pastime amongst the officers of the Galactic Empire, but she wouldn’t complain. Not if it meant cookies for herself. “I hope he can make macadamia nut,” she mused with an amused smile.

Karyn Faro announced that the guests could leave. Cora would remain behind with the other officers, to ensure that everyone left safely, and that the facility was truly cleared out.

“Maybe the next Coruscant event will be less...exciting.” Less attempted kidnappings and murder. “And maybe next time I’ll have my dance partner?” She looked over to Eli, the faintest flush on her cheeks.

~~

Red eyes shifted around the room as the guests began to clear out, and the mercenaries were taken by the Coruscanti police. The entire situation still didn’t feel right to him, and he could only hope that the recordings Faro took would clear things up.

And there was still the matter of Kashyyyk he needed to clear up.

At that thought, his eyes shifted to where Eira and her group were leaving. There were still some words left he wanted to say to her, but they would have to wait until another day.

Satisfied with the cleanup, he strolled over to Faro. His eyes caught the sight of Eli and Cora near one another, and he raised a brow as he approached the woman. “Excellent,” he commended with a slight nod of his head. “I will listen to those recordings once we get back.”

But then he couldn’t help but to poke a little at the subject of what he thought was Eli’s obvious infatuation. “What do you make of those two?” He asked Faro, nodding over in the direction of the two other officers engaged in light conversation.

~~

Eyes shifted to Faro as she spoke, and Skye could feel the immediate relief at the signal that they could finally leave. Lin wanted to go to a place where he would feel safe from Eira’s cold glare.

Really, she could do that well.

Skye shot a look back at Adlai and his singed clothes, but she said nothing more. She couldn’t. She would have to constantly remind herself of her new role over the next few weeks, as she struggled to adjust to this new persona and new job with politicians and actresses. And people very much in the spotlight.

They were closer to the exit when Skye spoke up. “So, I suppose all gatherings aren’t like this, right?” she joked, offering a small smile to diffuse the mood.

Lin, who was still following, lightly scoffed. “Normally only the smaller parties are like this.”

Eli nodded at Cora’s inquiry, “Yeah, I wouldn’t have, either.” He tried to get over that mindset, and made strides towards it by getting to know the people he worked with. He did, admittedly, mostly prefer the younger officers. They didn’t tend to hold the views of the older ones.

Some did, but most were more open since they grew up most of their life in the Empire, not the Republic.

“I’m sure he can make Macadamia nut. He said he could do biscotti that won’t fall apart.” Eli noted. That was what he was looking forward to, although he could look forward to an outing, too.

His gaze shifted over to her from the scene, a light smile touching his face as he saw hers, and her blush. “Well…I guess I could come to one boring Coruscant thing for a few dances.”

~***~

Karyn finished sending them, and was about to continue on to the other rooms. Naturally, the approach of the Grand Admiral stilled her, and she raised both brows in surprise at Thrawn’s inquiry.

Was he…?

Did he…?

The thought of a casual conversation about Eli and Cora with the Grand Admiral was almost too good to be true. She was half-certain it might be a trap. “They’re obviously into each other. Er. Not in any detrimental way to the Chimaera, Grand Admiral. It might even benefit if those two stopped pining after each other. I told Cora—Officer Suvan already that Eli is interested in getting to know her a lot better.”

~***~

“I cannot even deny what Lin’s said,” Eira chuckled, just a little, at the thought of how many of the smaller gatherings were usually much more dangerous than these official, large ones. Nonetheless, “Still, they do not tend to be this bad.” And Skye probably wouldn’t go to any of those that were likely to.

“Are you both going back home?” Adlai asked. He was tempted to just invite both over, so they could go over what happened, even if he knew Skye wasn’t welcome for that.

Eira shook her head. “No, I need to check in with my manager first.” Shay, by any other name. Adlai supposed he should be glad not to be involved in that mess. “The Kashyyyk incident may go away soon, but not overnight,” and it would go on longer if she did nothing and ignored it.

She knew enough about how to manage this.

And she had to find out what was in Shay’s head for that article to come out like that.

A good biscotti with a hot cup of tea sounded just as pleasant as her favorite cookie. She smiled and nodded at the prospect.

Maybe I really should try and get to know some of the younger officers.

Her smile brightened with Eli’s answer. “Of course. We must put your newly refined skills to the test.” And see how well he performed in a formal Core setting. “I will make sure the event is a little more boring than this,” she joked.

She shrugged. “And maybe you’ll find yourself enjoying the event with the right people.”

~~

Thrawn was amused by the clear shock on Faro’s face. No, this sort of casual conversation he didn’t participate in often, but given Eli’s status as his protege and...friend, he couldn’t help but to hold interest in the man’s personal life and happiness.

“You’re absolutely right,” he mused, observing the body language of the two in question. How both of their bodies were positioned. If he were closer, he was sure he would notice dilation of their pupils. An increase in heart rates.

“I can certainly confirm that Officer Vanto is interested in her as well.” He recalled how when Eli was last in his chambers, a mention of the woman’s name sent a flush to his cheeks.

Neither one were subtle in the least.

He considered potentially distractions of their...pining. Both were hard workers, and he had no doubt that their daily routines would suffer in the least. But still, “We can only hope this pining doesn’t last too long. For all of our sakes.”

~~

Lin shrugged. “Most likely. The night’s only downhill from here.” And by that, he meant that he looked forward to a quiet rest of his evening in the comfort of his home, maybe even playing or composing music.

Skye remained amused by Lin’s antics. In far different circumstances, she would enjoy hanging out with him, see if he was like that all the time.

She turned to Eira as the other woman announced she would be heading off somewhere else. “It was nice to meet you, Eira.” Skye did remember one thing, that she and Eira only just met. “And you too,” she nodded towards Lin.

Lin gave a lazy salute with his hand before he bounced off, not sticking around to see if Eira would actually slap him. “What an odd little fellow,” she murmured.

Skye sighed, “Well, I guess I should head home as well.” But none of them would be parted for very long. At the very least, she would see Adlai again in a few days.

Eli moved a hand back behind his head as Cora mentioned that he needed to test his skills in a formal setting. While he wasn’t too bothered by the thought, he couldn’t help but add, “Nothing too formal. Nothing Governor Tarkin would be at.” If he was meant to do more than a box-step, he didn’t want to end up flubbing it where Governor Tarkin might see.

He’d embarrass himself willingly in front of plenty of others, but he’d rather avoid that.

“I’ll just have to take your word that it might be enjoyable,” he said, relaxing his posture, and smiling. “I know your company usually is, so it will at least be better than some events I’ve gone to. Though I’m starting to think between you and the Grand Admiral, I won’t have too many boring ones.”

Even if it was never outright chaos like this, he’d been threatened and annoyed enough at plenty of official events.

~***~

Karyn allowed a trace of a smile to touch her lips as she watched the Grand Admiral observing them. ‘Wait does he know I like Eira?’ then again, the better question might be who didn’t know that.

Nevermind, she dismissed the thought hastily. She didn’t want Thrawn calling her on her reason for being there. “Yeah…I don’t think it should take too long. At least, not if Cora is interested, anyways. I told her,” but then again, sometimes people could be stupid.

Cora didn’t seem that stupid, though. “Do you know much about Officer Suvan?” Karyn asked, wondering what he might think of Cora and Eli getting together. He didn’t seem immediately opposed to the idea. He wanted the pining to end – hopefully wanted them together – so that meant he had to like Cora, right?

Karyn did – but she was also still getting to know her, just like Eli was.

~***~

Lin parted first from them, but Eira walked a while longer, until she recognized a familiar face in the streets. ‘Nikhil.’

“I’ll see you soon, Adlai,” Eira said, and he glanced her way, then noted the mirialan in the background. Nikhil always sent a shiver down his spine. There was no more competent bounty hunter when it came to killing Imperials – so far, he and Eira never appeared in public, even if Nikhil’s mother was one of Eira’s lawyers – but Adlai worried over him.

He was…a complicated, and dangerous, youth. Though Adlai tried to trust him for Eira’s sake, and the fact that Nikhil was also careful in staying out of sight.

He’d be on the same street, the same path, but never close enough. ‘Still, with Thrawn on the case now….’

It reminded him of what he had to say as Skye thought to dismiss herself. “I believe you actually have to come with me so we can work out the terms of your employment,” he let his eyes cut over to her, “Given how you announced that you were there as my bodyguard…as well as claimed to be there just for the art.”

“Oh kriff no,” Cora gave an unladylike snort that her mother would be aghast over. “Even I try to avoid those parties if I can help it.” Governor Tarkin scared her, and she was certain he knew.

Tarkin knew everything.

With the compliment Eli gave her, concerning her enjoyable company, she felt the heat travel to her cheeks. “Oh, well, I certainly hope I can continue to keep you from having a dull time.” Though, she would like to not have a repeat of that night. Maybe something more along the lines of Director Krennic consuming too much alcohol.

“But to be mentioned in the same sentence as the Grand Admiral? That’s quite the pressure you’ve placed on me,” she said with a wink, not at all serious. Cora heard the stories of Grand Admiral Thrawn. There was never a dull moment with him.

~~

Thrawn tilted his head. “From what I can see, Officer Suvan is definitely interested. Her cheeks flush when she talks to him.” And Eli had a completely different body language when he was with her.

Why didn’t humans just directly approach someone they liked? They were such a complicated species.

“I do not know much about her,” he admitted, but he knew enough. “I know she requested a transfer to the Chimaera after an incident on her previous ship with a superior officer. I know she’s naturally curious about the unknown, which did much to abate the typical attitudes of the Core inhabitants towards those from beyond the Mid Rims and aliens.”

Those biased thoughts were still there, he had noted, but Cora always attempted to maintain an open mind. Thrawn saw the potential in her. She just needed a little push and molding.

~~

Skye frowned at the figure Eira seemed to make her way over to, but he didn’t remain on her mind for too long. Not when Adlai immediately spoke to her.

One eyebrow rose at his reasoning for wanting her to come with him, but he continued, and her face paled slightly. So that’s what I slipped up on earlier.

“Shit,” she hissed. Her arms crossed over her chest, but she forced herself to not let anger or fear take hold of her. That would do nothing to help. “Can’t a bodyguard also be there for art?” she mumbled, looking down the street before sighing.

A sigh escaped her mouth. “I suppose stealing that officer’s datapad is out of the question?” She looked easy enough for Skye to take down, granted that she was away from Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Eli wasn’t surprised that Cora claimed to avoid those parties, even if he thought those might be exactly the kinds of parties most tried to get into. To be seen by Tarkin. To have the opportunities it hypothetically presented.

“To be fair…this happened,” Eli gestured out at the gallery, “Though maybe that was all the Grand Admiral.” And nothing to do with Cora being there. “We’ll have to test it. I guess nothing bad happened when we went out to dinner.”

He wasn’t sure that counted in their assessment. Thrawn didn’t get attacked every time he went out, after all – but parties tended to be interesting. “You’ll have to let me know of anything interesting on Coruscant that Thrawn isn’t going to so we can test the theory – see if things are more or less exciting.”

And just have some time out with Cora, without the looming fact that Thrawn was right there.

‘Wait he’s right here.'

Eli looked around for him…and saw him looking at them, with Faro. He frowned immediately. They were talking about them, he knew it.

~***~

Thrawn was quite aware of human body language by now, it seemed. Karyn had a desire to ask if it varied much by planet, or at least, Core and Outer Rim, but he seemed to read Cora as well as Eli. If it varied by much, he had learned to tell the differences.

“Huh.”

She knew Thrawn was good at reading people, but it was still impressive to see it in action, and of his own officers. He’d likely done it to many who worked with him. Faro felt a sudden chill of paranoia. ‘Wait no, he likes you enough to talk about this. That’s good, right?’ She tried to relax.

It didn’t work too well.

“She’s been pretty friendly to me and Eli, so I knew she wasn’t that bad.” It was good to hear that aliens were included in that, though Karyn hadn’t seen anything indicating disrespect or dislike from Cora. “I’ll keep working on them.” Karyn promised. “I don’t think I could handle a month of them both pining as it is.”

~***~

Adlai gave Skye a sympathetic smile, “You’ll recall how you spoke of your presence there?” How she seemed to think the only reason to be there was the art, whereas Adlai and Amilyn expressed alternative motives. “It’s no matter. We need to establish you in the role, and make it clear that you held it before the gallery.”

It would involve some tricks, but nothing he hadn’t done before. He wouldn’t manipulate any timestamps, simply claim that it had occurred Friday evening and wasn’t set into paperwork until Monday.

During official business hours.

“It may mean you are questioned again, and more in depth. You need to prepare for that,” he indicated, continuing on towards his residence on Coruscant, an apartment complex for many of the senators and nobles who had to live on Coruscant for too long.

It was, naturally, quite nice – and well protected with enough security around the area to make most think twice.

~***~

Getting lost and becoming unrecognizable was an art on Coruscant, but Eira was practiced in it by now. It was simple enough with a coat, with a hairstyle, a hood, and a continuing addition of layers and changes as she worked her way down to where the sun no longer reached. Nikhil followed, never close enough, but present.

Not that anyone approached Eira.

The deeper she went, the easier it was to press against the Force and mask her presence. Knights were trained to use the Force to exert their presence, to intimidate with it, but Eira had learned how to make it seem as if she wasn’t there – people saw just another stranger in the crowd if they glanced her way.

Few would be able to say more than she had dark hair.

Eventually, she came to a warehouse, abandoned ages ago. She had no directions, just a certain familiarity with Shay, and her presence in the Force. Shay was, indeed, within, little set up – but enough.

“Two hours. Our location was raided two hours after we all left,” Shay said without turning to look at either Nikhil or Eira. “Death Troopers. Governor Tarkin is starting to get serious.”

No, nothing bad at all happened when they went out to dinner. In fact, it was a very pleasant evening that Cora would like to repeat. Although no offence to Karyn, she wanted the next time to be just her and Eli.

Given what Karyn said earlier, surely she wouldn’t disagree?

“Oh, I can definitely let you know of anything interesting,” she said with a nod. Should she just look up some different locations on her datapad? Should she actually look out for parties or something more quiet?

Would it be a date?

Cora noticed the expression shift on Eli’s face, and her eyes followed his. Immediately her eyes snapped back to Eli, embarrassment clear on her face. “Oh stars, they’re talking about us, aren’t they?” she bemoaned. “Why?”

~~

Thrawn noticed the worry in Faro. Her muscles tightened. It wasn’t hard to guess why, and he had to hold back a smirk at the situation. No use in torturing her over that.

He hadn’t a chance to have a proper conversation with Cora outside of her project presentation to him. Still, he could see through the words of his proteges and her actions that she was a good officer with equally good intentions.

“I do hope it does not take a month for those two to finally stop pining. I do need my aide to actually be able to concentrate.” He was half joking, and half not. While Thrawn hadn’t seen Eli pine over a woman before, human stories through holobooks and films suggested that they could get a bit...distracted by the thought of the objection of their affection. He didn’t want to risk to see if those stories were true or not.

The two people at the focus of their conversation soon realized they were being watched and talked about, and neither seemed particularly pleased. “Perhaps we should make sure everything is finishing up smoothly,” he suggested, a trace of amusement in his words.

~~

Politics. Skye would have to learn the art of politics. Her Master had attempted to help her out in that field somewhat, as a younger Skye was often too brash for her own good, but he didn’t succeed very well in teaching her the art of politicking. Maybe Adlai would be a better teacher.

“Okay, yeah,” she agreed, nodding her head. “I think I can do that. Will you help me?” She glanced at him as she asked. This was why Skye remained hidden for so long. She was a knight, she knew how to fight and survive. She didn’t know how to use pretty words to fool others. Eira was the Counsellor.

Not much had changed on Coruscant since her Jedi days. The neighborhood near the museum remained familiar from when she dealt with politicians and nobles as part of the Jedi Order.

Old memories played across her mind, but she snapped out of them before she became lost. “Oh, I hope I didn’t fuck things up. Or will fuck things up.” There was a long sigh.

Karyn managed not to snicker at the look Eli gave them, and Cora’s immediate embarrassment. “Yeah – we should finish up,” she agreed, “I’m going to do a walkthrough just in case not everyone was here to hear the dismissal,” she stated, before she would move away from Thrawn to begin the process of clearing things out.

Eli watched Faro leave Thrawn’s side, and sighed at Cora’s question. He knew why. He definitely knew why. That Cora even had to ask made him suspect that Faro hadn’t hinted at anything. Which was good, but…awkward. “Who knows?” He shrugged a little at Cora’s question.

They were talking about his feelings, which meant now Thrawn knew, and he felt the embarrassment rising.

Not that he should be embarrassed. It was a perfectly normal thing to like someone else, but…still. He didn’t want Thrawn to think he might be unable to perform his job, or he might get distracted. “I’m, uh, going to go make sure everything is all right outside.” Sure, that was a good excuse.

He wanted to hit himself as soon as he said it, but he just turned away to go see how the area was being cleared.

~***~

Adlai smiled, nodded, “Of course. I need you out of trouble for my own sake,” he laughed a little, “but also as I am responsible for you being in this mess, I’ll be certain to help wherever I can.” It was his job anyways, as the Knight, but he didn’t say that. This wasn’t the Shah-tezh. Skye was no piece in the game.

But oh, how long could he keep that from her, he wondered?

How long could Eira? And who, between them, had more right to tell her that she wasn’t just in league with an old Separatist and a Jedi, but an active rebel cell?

“No matter what comes of this, you’ll be fine. I promise. I have enough resources – even if the worst happens.” He’d been preparing for that with Eira, anyways.

They reached his complex, and he stepped into the building that was too tall for housing only the Serenno nobility and Senator, but did. It was more like a mansion than an apartment complex. A garden sprawled out in front of it, the gate had the appearance of being simple wrought-iron. It wasn’t, but appearances meant a lot – Adlai was scanned before allowed entrance, stating he had one guest with him so that Skye would be able to come in.

The art shifted to reflect those who were, more or less, its permanent residents. The guard was a droid – some things never changed. “Count Malvern, who is this?”

“Skye Vind, my bodyguard. I’ll have the proper data and clearance codes to you on Monday, Veet.”

“Okay.” Veet waved them on, and though they were not out in sight, there was the presence of assault-droids and other models as they moved through the rather gothic architecture of the building to the stairs that would take them up. Adlai could use the elevator, but he never did. He had too sedentary a life as it was.

“Welcome to the housing complex for the Serenno natives. We…tend to stick together.” For obvious reasons, perhaps. The war was over, but they remained outcast. Their abundant use and reliance on droids didn’t help matters. “I share this space with the other noble families of Serenno, including our senator, Saffia.”

The one that replaced House Serenno itself when Dooku fell – having enough Serenno blood through a maternal line.

~***~

The purple-skinned Imperator looked back to Eira, “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry.”

Eira gestured out, palms up, “Why?”

“Because it was there.” Shay answered, “Thrawn made himself open with his action to protect you. I know what you hope, but we have to take opportunities as we have them, and Tarkin is using Thrawn to uncover us.”

“How are you certain of that?”

“Three months is a long stay for a Grand Admiral, even one as politically inept as Thrawn. He has a mission here, Eira. We must be careful.”

Eira’s hands dropped. She wanted to argue that Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s mission couldn’t be them, but Death Troopers? Tarkin was getting serious. It was likely indeed that he sought to use the intelligence of another if he couldn’t get to them. Of course, with how Shay monitored communications, it would be a near impossibility to ever strike at them. Shay heard everything.

So, rather than argue, she stated. “We will not work with Saw again.”

“No,” Shay agreed, “Never.”

Eira wanted to demand more. To demand that Shay leave Mitth’raw’nuruodo alone, but she knew that was in vain. He remained an Imperial. He remained an enemy, for the time being. “You met Breha…,” Shay encouraged.

Eira shook her head, “Adlai can speak more to it, I did not stay with her long,” and she didn’t want to talk of that, “Mitth’raw’nuruodo could be an ally, Shay.”

“Maybe,” Shay said, “But he isn’t. This is war, Eira. Our methods have always been underhanded.”

“I never agreed to this. Am I not supposed to point to our allies and you to arrange how to investigate them?”

“You’re compromised with him,” Shay said, “Everyone sees it. Even you know it, Eira. We’ve all learned to trust your judgment,” that was no lie, “so trust mine – not that he is bad, but that this is how we will figure him out, too.”

“By destroying him?”

“I daresay a few articles will manage that, or he wouldn’t have risen so high,” Shay said, “No, by seeing him under pressure. By reminding him of what the Empire thinks of aliens, by reminding him of Kashyyyk, by pressing into him the horrors of the Empire.” She walked forward, “But there’s more than Kashyyyk, and I was waiting to tell you the other layer.”

“The Jedi on Lothal?”

“Yes. Where Governor Tarkin has gone. One of them is Caleb Dune, going by Kanan Jarrus. The other is Ezra Bridger – of the Bridger family.” Her eyes were alight. She admired the Bridgers. “With Hera Syndulla, and others. If we can draw enough attention from Lothal, we may be able to strike a powerful alliance with them.”

“What is going to distract from a Jedi? If Tarkin and the Grand Inquisitor have already gone….” Though an idea was forming in her mind, it was not one that she liked, and not one she was certain she could pull off. She had two lightsabers. Skye had a lightsaber, at least.

‘What if….’ What if multiple ‘Jedi’ appeared in brilliant, illuminating, fashion, across the galaxy at once? ‘Hope.’

“I’m working on it,” Shay said, “but we have to make sure Tarkin cannot access his usual arsenal. I need you—”

“I have to stay on Coruscant,” Eira swallowed hard. “I promised.”

Shay’s gaze darkened.

“Use Lin. Use Adlai.” How she wanted to move instead. To find the Jedi. To meet a Bridger, heroes in their own right – and a Syndulla! “I can’t. Not for a while.”

“…very well.”

Cora was left a little disappointed with Eli’s answer. He knew. She knew. But neither one admitted it. Maybe it was best saved for another night, when they hadn’t just dealt with mercenaries after Queen Breha. There was too much to worry about as is.

They would have a chance to talk again in the near future.

She sighed as she watched him walk off, to make sure everything was alright outside. His demeanor seemed odd right then, which she attributed to being spied on by Faro and Thrawn. He was distracted. They all were.

She would move to join Faro and leave Coruscant with her, as they arrived together.

~~

Thrawn didn’t feel any remorse for drawing embarrassment from Eli or Cora. In his eyes, he didn’t see anything to be embarrassed about. And they still obviously needed that push, or they would all go insane over the pining officers.

But he didn’t doubt his aide’s capabilities. He knew Eli would remain focused on his tasks, so Thrawn didn’t worry so much, but he would guess to himself how much longer the pining would last.

Karyn completed the last of the walkthrough, and only when he was certain all the guests left and the prisoners were taken care of, did Thrawn head back to the Chimaera. The night was only beginning for him, as he still had to begin work on scanning through notes and recordings from the evening.

And then there was still that issue of Kashyyyk and the libel posted about him. Another day.

He disembarked from his shuttle into the hangar, fully expecting his aide to be there, ready to discuss what happened on the ship before the incident, and anything he may have noticed at the gallery.

~~

You’re putting a lot of trust in this man you barely know. But Eira knew him well enough, and that had to mean something, right? Skye easily smiled, hiding the small voices of doubt echoing in her mind. “And in return, I’ll help by staying out of trouble to the best of my abilities,” she chuckled.

She nodded, easily accepting Adlai’s promise. But can you protect me from the Empire, should they ever know of my existence? She would have to hope that moment never came. Maybe, just maybe, the Empire could be destroyed before then.

A far off dream, but she wouldn’t forget the words exchanged between her and Eira about that hope.

Skye did nothing to stop her mouth from opening in surprise at the sight of Adlai’s residence. Of course he would live in one of those residences, being a high-profile figure on Coruscant, but she had forgotten how luxurious the ‘apartments’ could be. She became completely enamored with the architecture and art that was decorated throughout.

Shit, I’m going to live here? It definitely beat out the seedy motels beds and small bunks on whatever ship she found herself on, and growing up in the Jedi temple? She grew used to beds and living situations that were nothing fancy, and oftentimes a bit less than comfortable, but sometimes, Skye found herself yearning for a soft mattress and plush pillows.

“Do you often see these other noble families?” she asked, thinking of how much she would have to protect herself even in private. Skye really hoped the place was large enough for the other families to get lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back