• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

‘You have no idea.’ Adlai wished he could tell Skye that these situations were precisely the ones Eira was most likely to get into trouble. She was ever at war with herself about hiding her talents, and playing her role. What was too much? What was too little?

When it came to these, Eira faltered. It was how Adlai figured her out, after all. Anything that moved towards combat, and Eira seemed to forget, just a bit, how to hide the Force. Not that he blamed her. Life or death was difficult to weigh things like concerns of hiding in.

He wasn’t surprised to see that she had arrived – sans Thrawn – a moment before them.

He stayed back, hand going to the hilt of his sword, as blasters were pointed at Breha and Skye kept walking forward. Breha remained calm even under the blaster.

“Excuse me,” It was Eira who spoke, and Adlai forced himself to stay back, to stay in the periphery. “I don’t suppose we can come to some sort of arrangement that gets all of you to stop pointing blasters at Queen Breha? If this is about money….” A small gesture. Eira would pay the ransom.

Of course, if it wasn’t about money, she hoped to figure out where to trace this back to, as well.

Leia and Amilyn popped into the room, staying back, staying in their hall, both of them counting and considering how to play this.

Faro hadn’t stayed to listen to Thrawn, to hear his order to call Eli. She stiffened a bit to see Eira move to take attention, but also, began to count, and to consider how this situation could be handled so that no one was injured, or worse.

~***~

Rocky Road cookie? Eli knew the ice cream and assumed it was some variant of that, just in cookie form. He nodded his approval. Rocky Road ice cream was delicious, he could only imagine that a cookie of that nature would be just as good.

Even if Ortell professed his favorite was a simple sort. Just a sugar cookie. “Yeah, those can be good,” Eli wouldn’t deny that, “I remember getting a few for dessert during exam time at the Academy, too. Not overwhelming, and I could dip them in caf if I wanted to without too much worry of messing up the flavor, but they always crumbled to pieces."

The Empire could learn something about that.

“If you ever get in a mood and make a bunch of cookies, I’d certainly take some off your hand. Thrawn would, too – especially if they’re a type from your home,” Eli added, a consideration for Ortell, “He’s good with the art stuff, but I don’t think he’s fully learned to appreciate the nuances of cultural cooking. Officer Suvan and Faro seem interested, too – we went out to this place on Coruscant that likes to switch up it’s menu for different worlds.”

He realized he was rambling a bit, and covered it with a slightly embarrassed smile, “Sorry – I like food,” was all he could say in his own defense. “And Thrawn’s been teaching me to appreciate, well…culture.”

The leader glared at the approaching woman, an unassuming, lithe of a figure. It was laughable how she thought she could try and talk an agreement between them. “This is just business.”

One hand rested on Breha’s shoulder in a tight grip, and his blaster didn’t waiver from her side. “The only agreement that will ensure her safety is if you let us all leave with her, without a fight.”

Skye scowled at his words. Silently, she took a flute full of champagne from a gawking onlooker, who didn’t even spare Skye a glance as her drink was snatched from her hand.

She stood in the front of the crowd of onlookers, carefully gauging the situation to when she should intervene. Skye would further see how Eira handled the situation, and if things escalated? Then she would have to show how great of a bodyguard she could be.

Thrawn maneuvered his way into the middle of the crowd. He already stood out, given his height, and, well, his appearance, but with other people surrounding him, he wouldn’t be an immediate notice for the mercenaries, not when their focus was on the Queen and Eira.

Eira. His jaw clenched at the sight of Eira putting herself right in the line of danger. He had hoped she would be smart and stay out of trouble, but it seemed she wanted to help her friend. It was admirable, but Thrawn wanted to see her safe.

He would have to hope that backup wouldn’t take long.

Cora stared after the retreating figures of Faro and Thrawn for a second before she moved into action. Pulling her datapad out of her small purse, she opened an emergency line to the Chimaera. “This is Officer Coraline Suvan contacting the Chimaera. There is a situation unfolding at the Coruscant National Gallery. We are in need of immediate backup.”

She only waited for a brief confirmation before she closed the line and tucked her datapad back in her purse. Her feet hurried into the atrium, staying near the back so she could observe the entire room. The Queen was held hostage by what she assumed was some mercenary group near the front of the atrium, but she allowed her eyes to scan the room in search of any other hidden danger. There won’t be just four people to kidnap someone like a Queen.

~~

A smile blossomed on Ortell’s face, and his friend looked proud. “I can make a batch of sugar cookies that won’t crumble in your caf.” He had many trials and errors back at the Academy, during exam time when everyone lived off of caf.

He was happy that Eli continued to offer words to support Ortell’s hobby on the ship. Oh, for the Grand Admiral to taste his baking and enjoy it? That would simply be the best! But, he’s not...he’s not human. Would his taste buds be the same? Does he enjoy sweet treats like ours?

Ortell felt too embarrassed to ask Eli about that, but if he was suggesting it, then surely Thrawn had already expressed interest in their cuisine?

“Oh no, it’s okay. I would love to make a batch or two for you guys. It’s nice to know someone actually enjoys food instead of stuffing their faces with whatever they can find.” He shot a look to his friend beside him, who only rolled his eyes.

“What can I say? If I like something, I eat it. I’m a simple man,” the other officer commented.

‘They won’t kill Breha.’ Eira was certain of that as she observed the behavior. It was familiar to her. She’d seen this enough times during the Clone Wars. The others around her appeared to be making their own moves.

Adlai and Skye were waiting for an opening.

Leia and Amilyn were conspiring in their own area, and Amilyn was moving away.

Mitth’raw’nuruodo had entered; his shadow fell over much. Lin was nowhere to be seen, which Eira would take for a good sign. If Mitth’raw’nuruodo was to live up to his reputation, then he had a plan, too.

Eira just had to make sure no one saw what was going on – and she wouldn’t. “Oh, I understand this is just business, and, forgive me, Queen Breha,” she said, addressing her briefly, “but I thought I would try to offer a better deal. If you would tell me your price, I can give it to you,” Eira said, “I’m not without wealth or considerable connections, among many groups of people.”

Her tone remained calm, even. Conversational.

This was just business.

“That is, if I’m addressing the right individual,” her smile was embarrassed, feigned, but it would be hard to tell. Her acting was shining through, her gestures betrayed false nervousness, “I am assuming you’re the leader, but I would hate to offend your actual superior if I am mistaken and you’re more akin to Mercenary #2?”

He said it was business, after all.

Adlai resisted the urge to pull his blade, or hit his own forehead. He stayed alert.

Amilyn did not stay to linger – if Eira’s feint worked, she’d be able to let in Wedge Antilles and a few other Organa guards in a minute. Eira just had to keep them talking, keep them interested in what could be given – or reveal what was given to them, and by who.

Faro’s fists balled at her side, the tension mounting as Eira refused to step aside. She hadn’t moved to strike, or to actually act in a preventative fashion, but everything about her bearing said she would. At least, until she broke, apparently actually nervous to be in the spotlight, in the moment. Faro felt for her, blissfully unaware it was an act.

She rather admired Breha’s calm…Breha’s waiting for a moment to twist the wrist holding the blaster, watching the woman in front of her, curious to when the chaos would break and she’d have that moment she sought.

~***~

Eli’s eyes lit up with the offer of cookies that wouldn’t break in his caf. “Please! Or biscotti – I really like biscotti, when it’s not too ridiculously hard and crumbly, too,” too many bad experiences with baked good and caf had tarnished some of his opinions on them, but he was going to trust Ortell had the skill.

He grinned a bit at the other man, “I can’t argue his logic, though. But yeah, I’m sure all of us – myself, Thrawn, Suvan, and Faro – would love to try any cookies you can dish out.”

As he said it, his datapad pinged and he drew it out, noting the Bridge was calling him. “This is Commander Vanto.”

“Commander Vanto, Officer Suvan has requested back-up at the gallery on Coruscant. A situation has arisen.”

Vanto’s brows rose, alarmed. “Do you know anything else?”

“No.”

“Understood, I’ll be taking a transport from B-2. Please bring flash grenades and electroshock net guns to the hangar, immediately.” He glanced at what was available, then looked to the Ensigns, “Are either of you good at throwing flash grenades or familiar with net guns?” Thrawn might murder him if he brought blasters.

Flash grenades were wonderfully disorienting, though, and so were electroshock nets – though they came in gun format, as well.

The leader sneered. This woman grated on his nerves, and he considered how his client never specified they couldn’t kill anyone else. Just a quick blast to her head.

But she continued to talk. And offense was taken when she called him Mercenary #2. It was a silly thing to get upset over, but his ego took a hit. There was a snicker of laughter from behind him from another mercenary.

Out of the corner of her eye, Skye noticed one of the mercenaries behind the ‘leader’ softly whispering something into the collar of his jacket. A comm? Oh shit.

“Okay, you are really starting to get on my nerves. I didn’t want to have to do this.” He aimed his blaster at Eira, and Skye saw this as her moment to intervene.

The woman stumbled forward, the contents of her champagne sloshing in her glass. She appeared like a party guest who enjoyed the open bar too much. “Woah, woah woah, this is suppose to be a joyous occasion. What’s with the weapons,” she motioned towards the blaster aimed at Eira, “and the intimidating entourage?” She turned to look at the goons, lightly swaying on her feet.

If the leader looked irritated before, then now he looked murderous. “Listen here, sweetie. Why don’t you step back before we have to hurt you too?”

There was a bark of bitter laughter. “’Sweetie’? Oh I know you didn’t just call me that.” In a quick motion, she splashed the contents of her champagne in his eyes, followed by moving to smash the glass on his head while he remained temporarily distracted.

Then a sharp whistle echoed in the atrium.

Thrawn watched as Eira goaded the mercenaries. Oh how he wanted to admonish her for it, but all he could do from his distance was watch. And deny how his heart skipped a beat when the leader aimed his blaster for her.

But then that blonde woman, the one he remembered from that Senator’s office, stumbled forward (‘But she’s not drunk’) before attacking him.

Then another one whistled, which is what Thrawn had anticipated. There were more mercenaries, and they made themselves known in that moment. Some were within the crowd, disguised as guests to the gallery opening, and others flooded the room, blasters aimed at varying people.

One of the guests beside him reached for something in his coat. Without a second thought, Thrawn moved to cripple and disarm him. Just as he suspected, the guest was a mercenary, reaching for his own blaster, which Thrawn now had.

Cora froze as more mercenaries made their presence known. One stopped himself about ten feet from where she stood, with his blaster focused on another guest near here.

While she didn’t have a blaster on her, she always kept a taser in her purse. A precaution her mother drilled into her mind since she was a teenager. Slowly, at a pace to not alert any of the men with blasters, she reached into her purse, and her fingers wrapped around the familiar cylinder object.

~~

Ortell liked the idea of making biscotti as well, a great treat that always paired well with a cup of caf in the morning. He was going to agree with the idea. Maybe it could be his own little gift to Eli Vanto for taking the time to talk to them and being approachable, unlike other superior officers.

But there was no chance for that conversation.

They were alerted of a situation at the gallery they had just discussed a few minutes prior. With the Grand Admiral there, Ortell could imagine the great lengths taken to go and handle the situation.

At the question of grenades and net guns, both ensigns nodded. “Yes sir, we are.”

The other one stepped up to ask, “Why not blasters, sir?”

Ortell offered his quick guess, “I imagine because of the delicate nature of the art in the gallery, right?” And they all knew Thrawn’s heavy interest in the art.

The swaying, drunken maneuvers were enough for Adlai to step close. While there were only four making themselves known, he was able to step forward and take the Queen’s arm as the leader had glass slammed onto his head. He pulled the Queen back before that whistle sounded, and then he drew his sword.

There was someone near enough to him pulling a blaster. His movement was fluid, similar to Count Dooku as he let go of Breha, stepped forward, and cut the man’s arm off at the wrist. The blaster clattered to the ground and he took another step forward, slamming his shoulder into his the man’s chest.

He sprawled out on the floor.

Queen Breha picked up the abandoned blaster, not terribly perturbed by the hand she had to work around.

“Eira!” Adlai called her name as the Queen armed herself, and Eira sprinted to where he was, allowing herself to take cover behind him. Her eyes sought out an exit, following the path Amilyn had gone.

There were still more armed mercenaries, though. That could be problematic, but Eira and Adlai had at least moved to shield the Queen.

Faro had no gun, but the move of the blonde woman was ingenious. One guest near her dropped their own, reaching within.

Faro caught the glass, and then used it in much the same fashion, splashing liquor into their eyes. They let out an outraged sound, and Faro lunged, her weight falling on the stranger, surprise enough for her to get the advantage for the moment and pin them, hands above their head rather than digging around for a weapon.

From the floor, he noticed Cora’s movement. “H-hey – the woman in pink flower dress has something!” Faro socked him across the face for it.

Leia vanished on seeing her mother free, opting to follow after Amilyn and make sure everything was clear that way.

~***~

“Correct,” Eli agreed, and then motioned to the transport ship. “Get inside and get her prepared, I need to call a contingent of Stormtroopers as well.” To secure the perimeter, mostly. Whatever was causing the trouble, wasn’t going to escape.

He’d step away from the Ensigns and begin to issue orders for the Stormtroopers to come to the hangar, while the supplies arrived to be loaded onto the ship.

It would only be a minute before the Troopers arrived, but Eli knew every minute counted. He wouldn’t squander one of them by waiting around himself if there was something he could do, or have others doing, so they could leave as soon as possible and get to the ground.

Now queen-less, the leader, his face reddening in anger, turned towards Skye. “You bitch. Kill her!”

Her eyebrow twitched in annoyance at his lovely nickname for her. “I mean, that was unnecessary. Really. You hurt my feelings.” The closest grunt moved in to grab her, and she lifted her leg to send a powerful kick in his chest. The wind knocked out of his chest, he fell to the floor.

A second one moved towards her, and she sent a quick punch to his neck. While he was distracted by the pain, she kicked him hard in his kneecap, effectively sending him collapsing to the floor with a loud crunch and a howl of pain.

While her back was turned, the leader lifted the blaster towards her and fired a shot. With apparent uncanny agility, Skye turned and dodged the blast just as he fired it. She moved forward, grabbed his arm that held the blaster with both hands, and drove her knee upwards, snapping the bone.

Similar to his grunt, the leader let out a howl of pain and dropped the blaster, which Skye picked up and fired in the thigh of the remaining mercenary.

Thrawn knew his officers could take care of themselves. He knew of Faro’s combat and marksmanship, and while Cora lacked the combat skills that Faro had, she made up for it in marksmanship. So he set his sights on Eira, which led him to also see Adlai and the Queen with her.

All safe, all doing their best to fend off the attackers.

Another mercenary came up on his side, and Thrawn sent a quick blast into his side. He had no qualms in killing some of them, just as long they had at least one to question for motive and benefactor.

He steadily made his way to where he could see Eira, occasionally stopped by a mercenary, or taking care of those harassing a guest. His eyes momentarily watched the blonde fight the four that had threatened the Queen. For someone so small, she is definitely not one to be underestimated.

Thrawn paused in his steps when he came upon an elderly woman who had been knocked to the ground in the scuffle. Bending down, he gently grabbed an arm and wrapped his other arm around her waist. “Here, hold on, and I’ll help you up.” She could only nod and comply and slowly helped to her feet. “Now, hurry out. The exit is that way.” He pointed in the direction of the nearest exist. The elder woman could only silently nod and hurry as fast as she could towards the exit.

Cora heard the cry of the mercenary Faro had taken care of. One of his buddies nearby overheard before he was silenced, and immediately turned towards the woman. She hissed out a curse and swiftly pulled out her taser as the man closed in on her.

Once close enough, Cora turned the taser on and slammed it against his neck, sending a shockwave of intense electricity throughout his entire body. He collapsed to the floor and groaned at the electrical pain radiating throughout his entire body.

Cora took a pause long enough to remove her heels. They would only be a nuisance if she needed to engage in combat, and some small part of her didn’t want to risk ruining them. “Are you alright?” she asked Faro, as she rushed over to the woman.

~~

They both hurried into the ship, Ortell immediately taking the pilot’s seat, and the other ensign sitting behind the cockpit. He figured Eli may want to sit in the co-pilot’s seat.

“Maybe we should have gone to the gallery if they all are this exciting,” Ortell joked with a smile on his face.

His friend merely scoffed and rolled his eyes. He wouldn’t say anything further, and they both waited, tense from the anticipated battle that awaited them.

Once everything was loaded, and Eli and the Troopers on the transport, Ortell would start the ship to make their way to Coruscant as swiftly as he could.

Skye’s abilities came as no surprise to Eira, though she could see that Adlai was a bit in awe of how effortlessly Skye was handling the guards. Breha switched her blaster to stun, but was careful in her use of it, aware of the gallery environment.

Adlai had no such qualms with cutting hands – or cutting down enemies, in general. He wanted to keep to their corner, to where the Queen had a wall, and people, between her and her enemies, but there was a disadvantage of a sword. Range. Skye was doing a fair job of dealing with the initial four mercenaries, but there were others.

One in particular hadn’t been near any of the Imperials, or Rebels. She kept the target of the Queen in mind, and fired at Adlai. He hadn’t time to dodge it fully, lacking that Jedi agility, and he took the shot to the shoulder, dropping his sword a moment.

Breha aimed at the individual, but they dropped into a roll which was rather impressive given the dress she was wearing, and came up quickly, near to the party. Adlai’s sword was kicked away before he could grab it, and the woman rammed the butt of her blaster against his side, sending him sprawling, before she moved to aim the blaster at the Queen, figuring Adlai could be dealt with in a moment.

First things first.

She hadn’t paid any attention to the actress. Didn’t see her bend for the sword as it was kicked closer to her, and so she was taken off guard when she felt metal against her neck.

Her attention shifted.

If Eira had considered a moment further, she might have made her hand shake, or done anything to show that she was afraid. Nervous. Unskilled. Those thoughts didn’t come to her quick enough when she saw the black intentions of the woman, and knew that next the blaster would aim at Adlai to kill him, even if the Queen came along willingly.

Breha fired in that moment, the stunning shot dropping the woman held at swordpoint.

The mercenary was down for the count, and Faro got to her feet, shaking the blood off her hand as if annoyed more than hurt. It had hurt, though. Punching someone in the face always hurt. “Yeah, fine,” Faro said, taking a look around, before noticing through the doors that the cavalry had arrived. “Hold the fort!”

She said, and moved swiftly to the doors, noticing that they had been locked. ‘Hells.’ She wasn’t a lockpick. They had likely locked the main doors in order to prevent being swarmed, but there would be other areas of entry, right?

Another ship was approaching and making something of an emergency landing, too.

As Stormtroopers spilled into the street, Faro caught sight of Eli and jumped, waved, to get his attention. She made a cutting motion across her throat to indicate this way was bad – and to her surprise, he seemed to understand, giving a thumbs up her way, and ordering Troopers around the perimeter, before approaching a man from the other ship and taking a group with him around another way.

~***~

Eli Vanto had indeed gone to the cockpit once everything was set, with Troopers, supplies, and even a few medical Troopers – just in case.

What he hadn’t expected was to be hailed as their ship broke the atmosphere and the gallery came into sight. He didn’t let Ortell or the other answer it, or ask if it was needed – he simply did so, “This is Commander Vanto of the Chimaera, I apologize for the unannounced descent to Coruscant,” for there were plenty of hovercraft that were annoyed with them. “However—”

“This is Captain Antilles of Alderaan,” the voice cut in, “you heading to the gallery?”

“Oh – yes.”

“The front doors are locked, but there’s a side entrance one of ours got opened. I’ll show you to it. I assume you have enough guards to cover the perimeter?”

He wasn’t sure if he should be offended by that question or not, but since the man was offering to help get him in, he decided against offense. “Yes, and medical staff.”

“Thank the stars someone’s competent,” he grumbled, “See you on the ground.”

And it cut off, only a few minutes later, the Tantive IV landing near as Eli had already gotten out of the ship and started to order the Stormtroopers around the perimeter. He saw Faro for a moment, and saw her trying to tell him the door was no good. He nodded, and cast her a thumbs up, before the sight of Wedge Antilles reached him.

This was a situation if the Queen had called for aid. The dark-haired man took in Eli and the two with him, and nodded his approval as he saw the net guns. “Follow me,” he said, and jogged off towards the side.

It wouldn’t take long to find the side-entrance, or the silver-haired woman who stood in it, apparently left alone through all the chaos. Her face lit in a beatific smile at the sight of them, before she stepped aside to let them in.

‘Well, not quite left alone.’ Eli saw three downed mercenaries, and no sign of a weapon on the woman.

He wouldn’t ask questions right then, even if he was curious how this door was opened, and how she dealt with the men. Right now, he needed to get in, flash the room, and get the bad guys under nets. “Glasses on, earplugs in,” Eli told the men, dropping his own visor. “Captain Antilles, I’d advise staying back. Let us do the first sweep.”

The flashes would disorient enemies and allies alike, but not Eli and his men – those precious disoriented seconds would allow them to act.

Last edited:
From a distance, Skye noticed the mercenary coming up on them, but she couldn’t get a warning out before Adlai was attacked and the blaster aimed at Breha. Eyes widened at the sight of Adlai crumpling to the floor, but he was still moving.

Eira quickly intervened, grabbing the discarded sword, at which Skye smiled. To see a Jedi, or rather ex-Jedi, in action felt amazing. That they weren’t some long-forgotten history erased by the Empire. That there was a chance they could come back.

The mercenary fell to the ground, stunned, which Skye could see was thanks to the queen. Oh, I like you a lot more now. Her steps hurried over to where Adlai laid on the ground, and she knelt down to place a hand on his arm. “Are you alright?”

The next second, a flash and boom temporarily rendered her unable to see or hear, with an immediate ringing beginning in her ears. What the hell?

Thrawn still had his sights on Eira, and due to proximity, Breha and Adlai as well, with Skye fast approaching them. Admittedly, he felt nothing when Adlai was shot and knocked down, even though he knew he shouldn’t allow pettiness cloud his judgement in such a way. It is not pettiness. He is obviously going to be okay.

When it was clear that the mercenary, despite the constraints of a dress, had the upper hand, Thrawn raised the blaster he had, but Eira was swift to move, placing a sword to the attacker's neck.

And she surprised him.

Her confident stance with the sword. Her precise movements. The lack of any emotion that may have suggested nerves or anxiety. She wasn’t.

Curious.

He didn’t have long to dwell on the thoughts. Thrawn noticed movement from the corner of his eye, and he shifted his gaze away from Eira to notice Eli and two of his ensigns making their way into the atrium. He knew what to expect next. He had the chance to close his eyes before the flash grenade went off, but hands over his ears did little to protect his sensitive hearing from the loud bang.

Cora stared at Faro for a second, slightly startled by her command and subsequent quick movement to the doors. Pain suddenly radiated in her jaw, and Cora stumbled back as she looked over at her assailant.

Copper tang of blood filled her mouth, a result of biting her lip in the attack, but she ignored it to deliver a swift kick in the groin to her attacker followed by pressing her taser to his face.

She hardly felt any pity for the man as he howled in pain and curled on the floor. The room was still in chaos, with guests running for safety, and the mercenaries attacking and attempting to make their way to the queen.

Cora started to make her own way over there, prepared to fight along the way, but she didn’t get more than a few steps before the room filled with a sudden blinding light and loud boom. She fell to the floor and covered her head with her arms in some futile attempt to shield herself from the sensory overload.

~~

It wasn’t long before someone contacted them on their transport, to which Ortell merely allowed Eli to take control of things like the Commander he is. It was a Captain of Alderaan, someone who quickly filled them in on what they needed to know to direct their troops.

The ensigns followed Eli off the ship, flash grenades and net guns at the ready. They were approached by the man Eli communicated with over the ship, and all hurriedly followed to the side entrance. Ortell became momentarily entranced by the silver-haired woman and her angelic smile, but he shook himself back to the present.

He ignored the downed mercenaries to focus on the task at hand. He couldn’t allow any further distractions or wondering thoughts. At the command, both he and the other ensign slid their visors on and slipped in the earplugs.

They continued their way into the atrium, and once given the signal, the flash grenades would be released, allowing them the opportunity to gain the upper-hand on the mercenaries still attacking.

Adlai was fortunate his eyes had been shut when the flashbang went off. He’d allowed himself a moment to close them when Skye came closer, to center himself and handle the pain. Then he heard the bang, and saw the light through his eyelids. He kept his eyes firmly shut, unable to hear what was going on, but unwilling to expose his eyes too soon to it.

When he did, his vision was still hazy, but he saw Skye at his side, Breha pressed against the wall, an arm against her own eyes, Eira crouched rather than fallen still in her hand. Others had fallen around the room, and squinting, he could see Imperial uniforms and a young man with brown hair voicing commands he couldn’t hear – but that those with him, apparently, could.

People were caught up in nets, or pulled off of others, separating them. It would be somewhat difficult to sort the mess, but Eli had those with weapons (besides those he knew) taken aside or caught in a net quickly.

Sorting came afterwards, first was containing the crisis, and making sure it didn’t escalate any further.

Amilyn was also quick to re-enter the picture, and despite the tension that Adlai could see in Eira’s stance – her sight was gone, but he knew she was seeing in another way right then – she was able to approach and crouch besides Eira, wrapping her arms around Eira’s shoulders to reassure her of her presence as Eli and the Ensigns cleaned up.

Antilles also walked in, and approached the Queen. He gently took her arm, and pulled her away from the wall. She didn’t fight it – though her hearing wasn’t yet back, she knew who it was without seeing it. He led her out of the mess, though within sight of the room. Too many would ask where she was if he just carted her off, and while she didn’t need to answer to anyone, they didn’t need the trouble of questions, no matter how innocuous they were. He saw Leia was a bit out of sorts as well, and tried not to be amused by the almost childish way she was pressing her palms to her eyes.

“I’m going to open the doors,” Eli told the Ensigns, “We need medical staff in here,” and Stormtroopers with binders. Mostly, med-staff.

He had seen Cora in all of this, and she looked a little beaten up. Not greatly. Thrawn didn’t seem to be reflecting much of anything wrong, but people had been shot, including a Count. Those needed to be tended to immediately.

He’d check on Cora once she came around from the bang, as well as Faro, and Thrawn.

Through the flashbang, Skye kept her hand on Adlai’s arm, if to simply keep herself grounded while she could neither see nor hear for a few moments.

Her vision slowly returned first, but everything remained blurry for a moment longer. She shook her head, the ringing in her ears prominent and drowning out every other noise.

She was jolted and pulled to her feet by someone roughly grabbing her arm. “Hey, hey! What gives?” She couldn’t see her assailant at first, and so she thought it was another mercenary.

The officer frowned at the woman. “This is Officer Ortell of the Galactic Empire. Drop your weapon now.”

Shit. Skye didn’t dare make another sound, instead choosing to comply with the demand without further argument.

Thrawn was quicker to recover than most, as he was better able to prepare himself for the flashbang. His hearing still suffered, but that would return gradually over several minutes. Full hearing, maybe a little longer.

People were slowly coming out of the sensory shock, and the only ones moving around were the officers and troopers. From his position he could see Eli walking around and giving orders to ensure control of the area. Small pride swelled in his chest.

While he did wish to go check up on Eira, he needed to discussion the situation at hand with Eli. She wasn’t alone anyways, as her strange friend hurried over to help her. His eyes searched around for his officer, as well as the two who came in hopes of enjoying the evening. Never expect a quiet evening.

Cora came around after a minute. She slowly rose to her feet, blinking away the blurred vision, while merely wishing away the ringing in her ears. One hand reached up to wipe away the small amount of blood that trailed from her mouth. A split lip. Nothing major.

There were others who actually needed medical help.

She immediately spotted Thrawn, who would always be easy to spot in a crowd. She didn’t immediately see Faro or Eli though.

Carefully, to ensure herself that she wouldn’t stumble, she walked over to where her shoes laid on the floor and slipped them back on. Noises slowly became muffled as the ringing dissipated. Shit, please let me never experience one of those again.

She would make her way over to where she saw Thrawn standing, figuring going to her superior was the best bet in their current situation.

The Grand Admiral spotted Cora coming to him, and he offered a small nod. “Are you alright, Suvan?”

She nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine. Just shaken up.”

Eli saw to it that the medical staff was ushered in, as well as a number of Stormtroopers. Plenty remained outside, just in case anyone tried to leave the area. Eli knew there was the chance that not everyone was in the atrium. He ordered a few to begin searching the other rooms, cautioning them to call out, rather than engage – or else to use their batons.

The art had to be preserved.

When he came back, the scene had shifted, and he directed the Stormtroopers to place binders on those that had been moved to the center of the room, and pointed medical staff towards those who had been shot.

Adlai among them, who had watched when Skye was dragged away, seeing her lips move, but not able to hear what she was saying. Now, the murmur of conversation was returning to him. He got to his feet, unsteady, “Count Malvern, you should stay—”

He pointed to Skye, “I know her – she’s not with the mercenaries,” Adlai said, “She helped defend Queen Breha.”

Breha heard her name, and Eira, helped up by Amilyn, noted the situation as well. Breha called out, “She did – she made sure that miss Eira didn’t get shot, as well,” she had been quick to think of the trick with the liquor.

Eli glanced to her, nodded, “Leave’er be, get the others in binders. We’ll get this sorted out soon,” the stress was getting to him as the adrenaline started to fade. He could feel a headache coming on. “And I need the recordings of the day’s events,” that would better help to assess which of those in the center were mercenaries, and which were lucky to have weapons.

Eli then went over to where Thrawn was, with Cora, and Faro coming over as well. “Sorry for the delay,” Eli said, “What happened here?” He had a feeling the others could manage without his immediate oversight for a moment.

Though, his gaze drifted and held on the blood on Cora for a few moments, anger flashing, not at her, but at what had been done to her.

Adlai relaxed himself, and Eira moved over to him then, Amilyn trailing a couple of steps behind. Her balance was steadier than his, in spite of the heels and the ringing still in her own head. The Force was steadying her. “Let me help you out of this so they can treat your wound,” Eira murmured, glancing around and catching sight of Thrawn.

He didn’t appear terribly injured, for which she was grateful.

She hoped no one was dead.

Adlai nodded, and grimaced a bit as the clothe was dragged, however carefully, over his flesh, “I thought this had armorweave to it?”

“So…did I.” He cringed, “I suppose it was a light lining.”

“I want the company name.” Eira would decide later if she was going to sue them. She’d certainly not be buying for them, and she’d make sure their name spread among others – that their armorweave was pitiful.

Adlai nodded, one of the medical troopers approaching as the jacket and shirt were discarded, and he was made to sit.

Thrawn and Cora both turned when they noticed Eli coming over to them, with Faro not far behind him. Cora smiled softly at Eli, happy that he was finally there, but she wouldn’t immediately say anything to allow Thrawn explain what happened.

“It seems that Queen Organa may have angered someone.” That wasn’t surprising to Thrawn, but the question he needed to answer was who wanted her. “Four hired mercenaries attempted to kidnap the Queen before they were quickly foiled. After that, the rest of their group ambushed the guests at the gallery, resulting in this chaotic aftermath you see now.”

Several guests were injured, but from what he could see, no one had been killed. A few of the mercenaries may have wished for death with some of the injuries inflicted, such as the one with the broken kneecap.

Cora nodded. “Some of them were disguised as guests, and it seems that the rest swarmed from the outside.” She was thankful for the backup coming when they did, for she didn’t know how many attackers there had been exactly in the atrium. They could’ve been outnumbered, for all she knew.

“Thank you for your swift actions, Commander Vanto,” Thrawn said with a small smile. “Your decisions may have just saved several lives.”

Immediately, several people vouched for Skye’s innocence, including Queen Breha, and Ortell was quick to let go of her arm. “My apologies, ma’am.” He walked off to tend to help round up those they suspected were mercenaries.

“Ma’am?” Skye repeated, face scrunched in disgust. “I am not old enough for that.” She sighed and walked back to Adlai. Eira had joined them, and Skye watched as they carefully removed the fabric of his clothes from around his wound.

“Wait, that’s suppose to be armorweave?” she asked, staring at the wound. “I’ve had leather jackets to provide better protection.” Maybe not quite, but she was displeased with the fabric failing to do its one job.

Skye allowed room for the medic to work on Adlai, and she turned to Eira. “How are you faring? Are you alright?” Her own ears were still ringing, but everything was finally coming back to clarity.

Breha Organa was a politician, and a Queen. That she had enemies came as no surprise to Eli, but they certainly needed to figure out who would attack her on Coruscant, of all places. “Well, we should have enough mercenaries to question,” Eli noted, glancing back at the gathered ones briefly.

Eli looked back as Cora added on, and Thrawn thanked him. His own lips quirked up in a smile, “You’re welcome,” it was, of course, his job, but Thrawn was always good at recognizing people for these things. “Should we hand them over to Coruscant, or are there any you want to have escorted back to the Chimaera?” Eli asked.

He had a feeling Coruscant would want to handle most of it – but with Tarkin absent, it wouldn’t be too hard to take a couple up to the ship for questioning.

Which, also drew his eyes towards the Queen. He pursed his lips together a moment, wondering if they should speak to her just yet, before deciding to leave that part out, for the moment.

Faro asked, “Hey, are you two okay?” since Eli was neglecting the obvious question. She noticed Amilyn move away again, but didn’t focus on her movements right then.

Eira did find Skye’s comment a little amusing. Adlai, moreso, for a smile easily touched his lips as Skye joined them while the wound was cleaned, and bacta applied. “Exactly,” Eira noted as Skye indicated how terribly it had done its job. Eira fingered the jacket and brought it up so she could find the tag on it, eventually locating the name.

She gave a nod to Skye’s question, “Yes, I am. Thank you,” she knew what Skye had done, and certainly appreciated it. “I suppose you may be a good bodyguard for Adlai after all – since his clothes aren’t working out.”

She gestured to Amilyn, who came over immediately, “I need you to call my lawyer, I need a meeting with her tomorrow morning, please.”

Amilyn gave a thumbs up, “Got it!” And like that, she was quickly walking off to make the call, Leia watching her a moment, before following her friend to find out what was going on, given that her mother was all right.

They did indeed had enough mercenaries to question, and aside from the obvious question of who hired them, Thrawn wanted to know if there were more of them. If that many were part of their group, were there others elsewhere, as backup in case this job turned sour?

Thrawn appeared contemplative for a moment, before he answered Eli, “The four that first appeared and threatened Queen Breha – we will take them back to the Chimaera with us. The rest will go to Coruscanti police.” And what they will do with those four after they’ve been interrogated remained to be seen.

He suppose it will rely on what answers they give.

Cora wasn’t surprised with the answer given. They wouldn’t want all of the mercenaries onboard, but she couldn’t imagine Thrawn would allow getting answers from this situation slip from his fingers.

With Faro’s question, Thrawn spoke up first. “I am fine. My hearing is still a bit...compromised, but I don’t foresee that lasting much longer.”

Cora was in a similar boat with her own hearing, but she had the added bonus of an ache in her jaw. “I may have a nasty bruise on my jaw for a few days, but I’m fine.”

Thrawn allowed his eyes to roam over her face, noting the slight swelling that had already started. “Officer Suvan, if you need it, you may have tomorrow off from duty. It has been a harrowing evening, after all. Now, I would like to question Queen Organa before she leaves. Officer Faro, would you please accompany me?”

Skye’s immediate thought on the subject of Adlai’s clothes was one she knew shouldn’t be said out loud. Not when they were still in public, surrounded by people. So she pushed away her dirty quip for now. Shame.

“If only I could’ve protected him from that blaster.” It would’ve been near impossible for her to do, as she was ensuring the Queen got away from the four initial mercenaries that threatened her.

What’s done is done. The important thing was that Adlai wasn’t seriously injured. “But maybe being your bodyguard will be an exciting job,” she teased. “And I’m sure I’ll do a much better job when, you know, we aren’t surrounded by like a dozen people trying to attack everyone.”

“You’ll have to point out which four,” Eli noted, for he had no idea. Though, he also looked to Cora as Thrawn dismissed himself to go speak to Breha, “Or you can, if you recognize them. I don’t know how much you saw.” Obviously, Eli saw nothing, so he wouldn’t be able to identify the main four.

There was a woman there who apparently dealt with them, and he considered that she could be asked. They’d released her, and she was now over where med-staff was leaving the Count. “But let’s get you looked at, first.” Eli said, and gestured towards that area.

The medical staff would at least be a good distance from the Count by then as he started to re-cloth himself, but Eli waved him down and he paused, “Would you please look at Officer Suvan? I know it isn’t much….but just in case.”

The man nodded, and was quick to move over towards the other Officer to look over her jaw.

~***~

Meanwhile, Faro did agree to accompany Thrawn over to the Queen. The man with her noticed, and stepped back to allow space.

Breha looked upon them, a mixture of guilt, despair, and relief on her expression, “Grand Admiral, thank you for your quick thinking in this situation, and the quick actions of your crew,” she said first, glancing to Faro to include her in that, before looking back to Thrawn, “I am sorry your own visit to the gallery had to suffer for it. Your reputation precedes you – I was glad to see you here.”

Even if she had also been annoyed with how it coincided with people she wanted to speak with. She hadn’t gotten to speak to Eira, though Eira had been among the first to move to stall the mercenaries.

Breha would find a way. It was clear her people had skill and she wanted to know more about what operations they’d pulled off.

~***~

Eira shook her head a bit as Skye lingered on what could have been done. Eira could have done more, and she knew it. It would always be a source of regret and frustration. She could have pushed the shot into a wall. She could have moved Adlai out of the way. Yet, the Force couldn’t be shown in such an overt fashion.

Otherwise she probably could have talked the mercenary into handing over the Queen.

‘But that is why….’ Skye had shown restraint. Eira saw it, in her agility, but it was nothing that anyone could truly call Skye on. It proved how Skye had survived so long. She had learned to hide, very well, even in tense situations.

Adlai allowed a chuckle, the wound covered as best it could be for now. Eira offered back the offending jacket, as he reached for his shirt to put back on. “I promise most of my days aren’t this exciting. This was exceptional.” He would shrug the jacket on again, even if he knew now it was fairly useless to his protection, “Don’t let me leave without my cape again, dear. This was a foolish idea.”

“Never,” Eira agreed with a mild chuckle. His capes, they both knew, were quality armorweave. He would have only bruised from a blaster shot that struck the cape, if that. She offered him back his sword then, and he took it.

“Do you think we’re free to leave yet?” Adlai wondered.

Cora nodded. “I didn’t get a good look at their face, but they disguised themselves as all the guards. It will be easy to point them out.” Still, she wanted to shudder at the idea that the ones who were supposed to protect them were the mercenaries. They had never been safe that evening. They were always a target.

She wanted to protest Eli waving the medics over. She was fine, dammit. Just a small bruise. “Is that necessary?” she complained further as the medic walked over. But the medic ignored her to take a look at her injury, which had been obviously from the slight swelling and the beginnings of some discoloration.

He lightly prodded at the injury site, and Cora hissed in response, but didn’t jerk her head away from his fingers. “There’s nothing broken,” he commented, pulling out a spray bottle of bacta from his bag. “You’ll be bruised and sore for a few days though. Take pain medication and ice as needed.” He sprayed some of the bacta on her developing bruise and rubbed in the medication. “This will help some with healing. Just be careful for a few days.”

The medic offered a small smile before leaving and making his way over to the next patient in need of assistance.

“See?” Cora said as she placed one hand on Eli’s shoulder in a light squeeze. “I’m perfectly fine. Nothing to worry about.”

~~

Thrawn had his hands clasped behind his back, not a hair out of place, posture fully straight, and face not hinting at the struggle they had just gone through in the atrium. He didn’t allow his guard down around the Queen, remaining aware of any tick of expression in her body language, but he easily responded to her thanks and concerns about him.

His head slightly nodded in recognition of her words. “I thank you for the kind words, although they are hardly necessary. We were merely doing our jobs.” A stark reminder of his job as a Grand Admiral in the Empire, and their longterm goal in helping the galaxy from such scoundrels as the mercenaries that attacked them to reach the Queen.

“And the gallery will remain here in the near future. Assuring you remain safe was naturally of more importance than the enjoyment of my evening.” Thrawn did remain slightly annoyed it pulled him away from a conversation with Eira, but he had a job to do. Just like his other officers who were there that evening. “I trust that your people are all alright?”

~~

Skye considered both Eira and Adlai as they spoke, reminding the Count to bring his cape next time. She had a brief glimpse of Eira’s training during the skirmish. Much like Skye, she had withheld her true potential in order to keep up appearances. If she hadn’t held back? Then maybe no one would’ve been injured. Such was the curse of their truth.

“I wouldn’t mind if every day was this exciting,” she joked, smiling as she helped the jacket on, mindful of his injury. “It would certainly make the job more exciting, wouldn’t it?”

Though she couldn’t imagine Adlai would enjoy the constant danger. But Skye? Skye lived off of it.
She considered his next question, looking back at the Queen, and the Grand Admiral who was now talking to her. “They may want to ask questions about these mercenaries,” she responded, voice lowering some. “We may want to stick around just in case, or else some of us may get unwanted messages later on,” she had looked at Eira at the addition, aware of her and Thrawn’s….whatever it was.

It was more than mutual fascination, that she knew. And she didn't know what to think of it.

Eli was silently grateful the medic ignored Cora to look over her wound. He waited in that silence and let the medic do his thing. “It’s taking more than a day to heal, so I’d say that’s pretty notable,” Eli countered, but sighed under the light squeeze of her hand.

Bacta was usually pretty efficient. Of course, it was an awkward location to try and put a patch on, and she wasn’t just going to submerge herself for that.

“It’s best to keep on your health, no matter how minor it seems. Okay?” He said, “Besides you can now use that as an excuse to make me get ice cream or something soft to eat so you recover,” he added.

His datapad suddenly buzzed, and he frowned, but drew it out to find a message from one of the other ensigns on the ship, linking him to some article on the HoloNet.

He opened it, and had to re-read the title twice.

Alien Grand Admiral Responsible For Imperial Losses.

Eli’s face went scarlet with fury as his brown eyes rapidly skimmed the article. It wasn’t using racial slurs, but the fact Thrawn was an alien was being pointed out way too much to be anything but racist.

~***~

Of course, Thrawn was the picture of Imperial stoicism. Everything in order, concerned with his duty. Breha could not fault him for any of it, and had no reason to be upset with him, either. “I certainly appreciate your concern for lives over valuables, no matter the importance of some of these,” no matter how powerful culture could be. “Everyone is all right. There was no security breach at my ship, and none of mine seem terribly injured. There appear to be no casualties. Duty or not, we do still thank you for your actions.”

Gratitude was necessary.

Leia returned, and Breha saw the split of her from Amilyn. Curious as she was, she would not speak to that in the moment.

Faro also noted the switch, but she kept her eyes on the situation that unfolded, and the way the moods in the group around Amilyn and Eira changed. ‘What’s happening?’ And Leia seemed…impatient.

Breha spoke to the situation, still, in spite of Leia’s return. Though she did place a hand on her daughter’s shoulder, keeping the reality of her daughter being alive and well present. “I’m afraid I’m not familiar with the mercenaries this time around.” It wasn’t…unusual. Not common, but she was royalty, and her husband opposed Palpatine. “I hope that answers can be found in regards to who they were working for.”

“Some new lowlife,” Leia grumbled. She had things to tell her mother, and she couldn’t, because Mr. Blue was standing there acting important.

Although the datapads going off were soon to tell everyone what was up.

~***~

“I would,” Adlai protested, and as he took his jacket from Eira, he gave Skye a look as she reached forward to help him. He brushed her hand away, an action Eira also took note of. It wasn’t a terribly strange gesture for Skye, but Adlai was aware of earlier flirtations…aware of them in public.

There was a line he had to keep in place. A bodyguard wouldn’t help him into his jacket when his significant other was right there, and had helped him take it off. Eira didn’t reach forward to assist; she let Adlai struggle back into it, for reaching after that momentary gaffe would have indicated Skye’s action as wrong and not just that Adlai wanted no help.

It wouldn’t be comment on.

“Then I suppose we’ll wait…,” his words trailed, seeing Amilyn coming back with a somber expression, and Leia darting to her mother’s side. “Amilyn?” He sat up a bit straighter, deciding to remain sitting if he was going to have to wait.

She dropped to her knees with their group, “Miss Amita will see you tomorrow at lunch, Eira,” Amilyn said, before her lips jutted a little, expression taking a strangely defiant and sorrowful look, “But she wanted to know if you heard of Kashyyyk and if you need a lawyer for it.”

Eira blinked. “Why would I need…?” The question was answered as Amilyn silently turned the datapad, reminding Eira that Saw had acted too soon – and reminding her that Mitth’raw’nuruodo had intervened, as the headline indicated that an Imperial base had been taken, and destroyed – but more than that – that a certain Grand Admiral had ordered security to be focused elsewhere.

It was only ten minutes old. Eira recognized the journalist – or rather, a pseudonym. She was going to have words with Shay.

Though in the moment, it may have well have helped her. Her shock was genuine, her anger, her guilt, and the tears that came – Saw had done more than he should have, and though she didn’t like the Empire, she could hardly forget each individual face at that base.

There were other stories, all a bit older – thirty minutes seemed the oldest, taking the report from the Partisans themselves rather than Imperial channels, who likely would have preferred to keep it all covered up.

Cora only knew Eli cared about her well being. Faro’s words echoed in her mind. He’s obviously into you.

And in this moment, she could see it. In how he wanted to be assured of her health. How he offered to help her, to fetch her ice cream while she recovered. It was sweet enough to bring a smile to her face. And she wanted to say more about it. How she wanted to thank him for his help, and how she’ll remember his offer, just so she could see him again so soon.

But the buzz of his datapad pulled both of their attentions to the source of the noise.

She didn’t immediately inquire about what it was, thinking it was something private. The reaction the message pulled in Eli’s face? Cora had to ask what was going on.

“What happened?” she asked, not daring to look at his datapad. That was his personal property. It could be something top secret. “Did something happen on the Chimaera?”

~~

Thrawn nodded at Breha’s seemingly kind words. “Of course. Every life in the Empire is under my control and duty. The need to assure that everyone is alright is of upmost importance for me.” Even of those who remained suspicious to the Empire.

And for that, he was relieved that no one of hers were hurt terribly. No one was killed. That was all that mattered to him. He nodded against, and moved to add something else to their conversation. Another kind word.

Thrawn’s crimson eyes flickered when he, too, noticed the split of Leia from her seemingly closest friend. That was when he knew something had happened. Something was going on, and Breha didn’t know about it. The change in body language was evident enough for him.

Thrawn wanted to ask if anyone had threatened her recently, or even a list of those who had threatened her recently, but the dings of the datapads were distraction enough.

Including his own.

Frowning, he told the Queen, “Excuse me a minute.” Slightly turning away from Breha, Thrawn pulled out his datapad, and instead of a ping in notification from an article, Governor Tarkin was calling him. Oh, stars. This couldn’t be good, for the Governor to call him at this hour, when he knew Thrawn would be out.

Taking a deep breathe, Thrawn answered the call.

~~

Skye took no offense of Aldai’s action. She pulled her hand back, aware of their situation and where she was. It had been an instinct, nothing she thought of nor meant in any flirtatious matter. She had simply thought to help fix his clothes.

But now, she had to be even more aware of her every move now that she was the bodyguard of a Count. Can I even do this? Can I still remain anonymous enough to not make anyone suspect?

Amilyn’s behavior had been enough to distract. The normally cheerful woman held a somber expression, which was enough to capture Skye’s attention. Her silent question had been answered soon enough, after a brief mention of someone by the name of Amita.

That didn’t interest her. What did was something about Kashyyyk.

Amilyn turned around her datapad, and Skye managed a quick glimpse at the headline and article. An Imperial base destroyed. That she felt was no reason for the somber mood. But...The Grand Admiral ordered for a relocation of security?

That did.

Skye just wanted the story explained to her. She was missing something, she knew it. And she felt the outpouring of emotions from Eira. Despite their seemingly recent acquaintance, Skye laid a hand on Eira’s shoulder and lightly squeezed it. I can feel your pain.

In the moment, she wouldn’t say anything for once.

Eli’s throat was tight with anger. He wanted to answer Cora, but words failed him immediately. So, he thrust his datapad at her first.

As soon as the headline was out of his own sight, his voice seemed to return, “Some racist prick thinks they can go around calling out Thrawn for something—he ain’t got any responsibility – he wasn’t even there, he didn’t tell Kashyyyk to be absent security. This is just utter crock!”

Eli’s fury was apparent, and he could see others were quickly finding things out.

His eyes sought Thrawn – and he found him taking a call. ‘Oh no.’ He wanted to interrupt it. To tell Thrawn before.

And yet, he knew it was far too late for that.

~***~

Karyn Faro noted the name when Thrawn took out his datapad. ‘Oh stars.’ She looked to Breha, Leia, and Wedge, and gestured them a bit aways. “I’d like to ask a few follow-up questions about any recent problems or hostilities,” she said, deciding to take over and let Thrawn answer the call in peace.

Breha accepted that, moving as Faro indicated.

On the Executrix, Wilhuff Tarkin had been forwarded information about Kashyyyk before it hit the news. He had, however, only just confirmed the involvement of Grand Admiral Thrawn – after an article appeared, not from Imperial sources.

He didn’t call with a hologram. He knew Thrawn was likely at the gallery; such a public scene was not yet necessary.

“Grand Admiral,” Tarkin’s voice was not amiable, “Are you aware of the situation on Kashyyyk, or have you been busy?” He would wait a response, before continuing any further.

~***~

Eira gathered herself in steadying breaths, reading the article through watery eyes that she kept wiping out, pushing back faces of young Troopers, tired Officers, and a host of others. Empathy was her best trait. It was her worst trait. There was no way around the double-edged sword.

Adlai had leaned forward to peer at the datapad that Amilyn was holding. He used his finger to scroll down it, bringing more into focus. “Better tell Amita it may be necessary,” Eira wasn’t called out as a person of interest, of course. No, the article instead focused on Thrawn’s negligence, citing outings of him and Eira and hypothesizing his infatuation had caused him to create the opportunity for the rebels.

Oh, it was scathing, and gossipy, but it was that kind of thing that would be devoured.

Adlai spoke to Skye, more than Eira, “Eira had a performance on Kashyyyk just yesterday. I remember – we met the Grand Admiral before she left, by chance. We were both concerned about her being on Kashyyyk. We never thought…we couldn’t have known….”

Except, of course, they knew what Saw would do.

They didn’t know Shay would play the cards to put the blame on the Grand Admiral and tarnish his reputation. No, that was a shock to them both. “I’m sorry,” he said at last to Eira, who just numbly shook her head.

Apologies from him were hardly needed.

Cora had been surprised that Eli responded by simply shoving the datapad at her, but she wouldn’t blame him. She took the datapad and read what was displayed on the screen.

The anger had been clear. The article slander Thrawn’s good name, electing to resort to xenophobic slurs and idle gossip for the reason of their Grand Admiral’s fuck up.

It was infuriating. Even if she didn’t know Thrawn as well as Eli, she still felt furious for both of them.

But apparently Eli was already furious enough. Cora noted how his voice slipped into an accent she didn’t recognize from him, but now would not be the time to comment on it. Even if she did want to hear more of it.

She didn’t notice how Eli’s eyes sought out Thrawn before dissolving into panic over the incoming call. Instead, she read through the article more, jaw clenching before relaxing at the stab of pain through her face. “Some people will always find a way to discredit aliens.”

~~

Thrawn had simply nodded at Faro, encouraging her to ask follow-up questions about what happened, while Thrawn stepped to the side for some privacy in his call with Tarkin.

Though, he wished he had never answered the datapad. Tarkin would be one of the few people to truly call him out of any mistakes, aside from Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine, and maybe Commander Vanto. He didn’t want to hear those words.

Sucking in a deep breathe, Thrawn allowed himself a moment to calm down before answer Tarkin. “I had been busy this evening learning more about who you wanted me to look further into. I have yet to learn what happened on Kashyyyk.”

And deep in his gut, Thrawn could piece together what happened based on his earlier actions.

Still, he asked, “What happened on Kashyyyk?”

~~

At what the article said, Skye could see how it was upsetting Eira. Tears formed that she kept wiping, but it was obvious to Skye. Again, she wouldn’t comment on that. If she wanted to talk about what the article meant and what happened on Kashyyyk, then she would do so.

She did skim over some of the more salacious parts of the article. Insinuating something going on between Eira and Thrawn, insinuating that that had something to do with what happened on Kashyyyk.

Skye would’ve dismissed it nothing more than a gossip article, but gossip articles, no matter how true or false they were, affected the lives of Adlai and Eira. And this was her life now. People would take them as absolute truths, and it could ruin Eira’s life.

And Skye couldn’t allow that to happen to her new friend.

Her eyes shifted to Adlai when he began to speak to her. Oh, so that’s why this effects Eira so much. Shit. She now knew how Kashyyyk could ruin Eira so much. She may as well have been responsible for the destruction of the Imperial base.

“This is not your fault,” she whispered lowly, her hand still on Eira. “This is the fault of whoever decided to launch this attack. They made this foolish decision, not you.”

Eli observed Thrawn move off to take the call.

He watched Faro take control of the Alderaan royalty.

He noticed Eira in her own corner, looking terribly upset as well. ‘Good.’ He felt some vindictive pleasure for that, before guilt followed. Thrawn was investigating her for being…well, an enemy. But she did look genuinely upset – was it about Thrawn? The attack?

He heard Cora and looked back over, seeing her own anger. Hearing it. “I know.” Eli said as she mentioned that. “Does that mean I should just accept it?” He didn’t know what the purpose of her wanting to point out that there would always be racists was. Did that mean he should accept it as the norm and not get angry?

His tone was unnecessarily combative in his own anger, his own near-offense, at what sentiment that statement seemed to carry.

~***~

Wilhuff Tarkin was not surprised that the Grand Admiral was uninformed. He had known of Thrawn’s plans for the day, and this news was new. Nonetheless, that did not mean that Thrawn would be getting off easy.

Oh, no.

His own admittance of looking in on who Tarkin indicated he should be looking in on only made this worse. “Yes,” Tarkin agreed, “I have noticed you have taken to the job with surprising attention, at the expense of the Empire, Grand Admiral. I certainly hope that what we learn of Miss Nevan will make up for this.”

He went on, “It seems that your interest in keeping her alive and well on Kashyyyk well exceeded security protocols on Kashyyyk and left some areas rather lax in defending the refinery – so much so, in fact, that Saw Gerrera and his Partisans have not only gotten into the Kashyyyk jungle through there, but returned to take the refinery today.”

A pause.

“I am surprised in you, thinking to command ground forces on a planet you have not been to, and not trusting in the security already in place.”

~***~

‘If only you knew.’ But for now, Skye had to be ignorant that this was, in so many ways, Eira’s fault. She’d set things up for Saw and his Partisans, she had made sure they would be able to get there, but this wasn’t supposed to happen.

He was supposed to meet with the Chief.

Not…all of this. Not all so soon.

This was too much, and paired now with the information about Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s contribution to the cause, Eira felt wretched. Not that she could, or would, come clean about it. The greater cause – freeing the Wookiees, was still more significant.

But suddenly she felt like she was back in the Clone Wars, justifying terror. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling. “I know,” she managed to say that much, because she had to, “but that doesn’t make the loss any better, nor what this article says….”

Adlai knew that, too. He nodded. “I suppose we may be here a little while longer.” He wasn’t thrilled with that thought, either. Well, perhaps he wouldn’t. But Eira might. And Amilyn.

Cora was taken aback somewhat with Eli’s response. While she understood his frustration, she hadn’t expected some of the anger directed at her, even if unintentional. Was it unintentional? For now, she would give him the benefit of the doubt.

“Of course not,” she said, giving Eli back his datapad. “But what is there to do now? This article is all over the HoloNet.” Everyone had likely read it by now. Everyone on the Chimaera. On the other star destroyers. Those in her parents’ social circles.

“I guess all you can do right now is to help the Grand Admiral through this, as you’re the person who knows him best and knows what he needs.” Did even Eli know what Thrawn needed right then? Maybe some help in navigating the politics of this scandal.

~~

Thrawn braced himself for whatever Tarkin had to say to him. Given that the situation dealt with Kashyyyk, Thrawn already had a guess at what happened, due to his own error. But the error doesn’t become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.

And he intended on correcting his error.

A slight glance was spared in Eira’s direction before refocusing on Tarkin. His jaw tightened with Tarkin’s insinuation, as false as they may be.

Surely there had to be a coincidence in her presence on Kashyyyk and the actions of infamous rebel Saw Gerrera? But he knew there was no such thing as a coincidence. The two incidents had to be related, and the tragedy of the Imperial base was prime evidence.

“It is an error I can assure will not be made again.” His voice grew steely, eyes narrowing as he addressed Tarkin. “If anything, this only proves some relation between the woman at hand, or at least those close to her, and what happened with the Imperial base on Kashyyyk.”

And now they all needed to be watched even closer for a step out of line, where Thrawn could catch them in the act.

~~

Did Eira knew exactly how many emotions rolled off of her? Skye could feel every one, and it affected her own mood. She felt the anger and frustration and guilt, and she wanted to do more to help Eira, but she couldn’t. Not there. Everyone assumed they had just met that day, and not hold a deeper connection that they did.

It was frustrating.

But given their assumed public relationship, did Skye need to stick around given the new events? Or would sticking around may seem in any way suspicious?

It had been some time since Skye had any experience in the politics field. Even as a padawan to her Master, she still didn’t pay much attention to it.

“Do you want me to stick around?” she asked, directing the question at both Eira and Adlai. Whoever wanted to answer. And given that the Empire hadn’t specifically asked her to stay for questions, Skye contemplated on fleeing before they did.

Eli took his datapad back. His frown remained, but at least Cora wasn’t telling him to just accept that people would always be stupid and racist, somewhere out there. “Fight back,” was how Eli answered ‘what to do now’.

Of course, perhaps not immediately.

But they didn’t have to take the article lying down. They would have to address it. Not that, admittedly, Eli had much of an idea on how to do so. Usually, Thrawn’s actions were left to the Empire, and to court martials, and not so slanderously publicized.

Still, they’d figure this out.

His eyes darted to Thrawn again. “I would, but…I think he’s busy right now.” He was still clearly on the call.

At least Faro looked like she was wrapping things up, “And, admittedly…I’m not really sure how to handle this.” He wasn’t cast in the spotlight like this, either.

~***~

“I certainly hope so,” Tarkin said as Thrawn acknowledged the error, and insisted that it would not happen again. “I would hate to have to tell the Emperor that as soon as you became Grand Admiral, you began to foolishly abuse your power to hinder the Empire’s progress.”

Another strike against Thrawn – how quickly this occurred after his promotion. How that, too, could be viewed.

He wouldn’t continue down that path, though. He had faith in Thrawn for a reason, and didn’t think he needed his nose rubbed in it any further. “I will see what can be done to mitigate the damage of this, to Our reputation,” he said, “as well as to those families who are suffering for this oversight. I hope there will be far better news when I return from Lothal.”

He had little else to say, but he would allow Thrawn a response, all the same.

~***~

Eira was working on breathing again. On figuring out, mentally, how to proceed. There was only so far she could go with it – until she herself knew the situation from the Imperial side, and other things besides.

Amilyn lowered her datapad into her lap as Skye inquired about staying or going.

“As much as I’d like to say you can go,” Adlai began, “given your role in seeing the four main mercenaries put down, you may need to stay a little longer. I’m not certain, but I think leaving early would only make things worse.”

No one else in the gallery was bailing. It was quietly understood that at this point, they were awaiting Imperial direction, Imperial questioning, before they could leave. They were all witnesses, and possible suspects, to a crime.

Eira nodded her agreement to that sentiment. She didn’t like it, either, but this had to play out.

Cora frowned. She could sense what Eli wanted to do, how he wanted to respond to the entire situation, and although he initially remained silent, Cora interjected once more. “Just be careful on how and who you fight back,” she offered. They were now walking a delicate line between propriety and dignity, and Cora wanted to help them walk the fine line, to ensure that Thrawn escaped relatively unscathed.

Her eyes flickered to Thrawn, who was still deep in conversation with Governor Tarkin. No, Eli shouldn’t attempt to talk to their Grand Admiral right now. “It’s okay, we can figure it out together.”

Again, Cora reached one hand out to clasp his shoulder, offering a comforting squeeze. “I’m sure between our life experiences, we can help the Grand Admiral navigate this scandal.” Even if it mean asking her parents to see what kind of connections they held in relation to the media.

Though, they didn’t hold the same opinions regarding aliens that Cora did, which would be a potential problem.

~~

“Indeed, I would hate for that as well.” The last person who needed to know of his mistakes was the Emperor, who wouldn’t hesitate to demote the new Grand Admiral. Not only would that affect the morale of his crew, but it would give these tabloids and articles reason to continue their gossip.

That would only serve to give Thrawn a bigger headache.

Thrawn nodded. “Of course, Governor. And I thank you for your help in correcting this unfortunate faux pas.” He was sure many would consider it more than a simply faux pas on his account, but he had to think of it in such a way in order to continue on to correct his transgression.

“I will promise you better news when you return from Lothal.” Capture of Saw Gerrara. Or maybe more information of either Eira or those she associated herself closely with. “Is there anything else you wish to discuss?” He couldn’t see anything else, although, as Eli pointed out many times before, if Tarkin wanted to offer advice in how to deal with this current scandal, he would reject it.

~~

If she could, Skye would’ve attempted to calm Eira down with the Force. Or at least try. But she couldn’t risk anything regarding the Force, even if she and Eira were the only Force sensitives in the room. It was still too risky, though she wished for nothing more than to help the other Jedi.

Skye nodded her acceptance of her fate for the evening. “Of course.” The lightsaber weighed heavily from its secured spot on her back, a reminder of her last resort of escape should it be needed. “Of course,” she repeated, more softly.

She looked back at Thrawn, who appeared to be finishing up a conversation over his datapad. “I hope it won’t take much longer, as if I have somewhere else to go tonight.” And she didn’t. She imagined many others in the gallery were in the same boat. Didn’t exactly want to stay any longer, but had no where else to go.

They just wanted to go home and relax.

Eli relaxed a bit more as Cora offered to help him figure out how to do this fight. It wasn’t one he knew, but it was one he knew they had to undergo now that Thrawn was in trouble. Neither he, nor Thrawn, were particularly good with politics. Eli was only a little better.

He smiled, though it flickered, as she reached out for him. The stress was still there. “Right,” he said, “We’ll get through this.” As a crew. As a team. “I haven’t exactly been in the spotlight. Or…paid that much attention to celebrity drama,” he admitted, “but I’m sure Thrawn has to find some way to address this, right? If he just leaves it as it is….”

Other people would write the narrative for him. As they were already doing. It was obvious that wasn’t the story that Thrawn wanted out, and he needed to find a way to take control over it.

“What do you know about this kind of thing?”

~***~

Although Thrawn couldn’t see it, Tarkin did lift an eyebrow at his use of ‘faux pas’. He opted not to mention it, taking it as Thrawn’s sometimes inarticulate nature when it came to Basic. He may not have a word for the level of fuck up this was. He’d learn one, when Tarkin returned, and there was better news. Tarkin would make sure of that.

For now, there was no need to continue on that line of thought.

“No,” Tarkin answered. “I didn’t wish to speak with you today to begin with, it is better we cut this short. I will hopefully only hear from you after I have dealt with the problem here. Good bye, Grand Admiral.”

He would drop the connection, and though he was done speaking with Thrawn, he would not be done cleaning up the situation from his ship – of reaching out to various PR officials in the Empire to start fixing this story, immediately.

~***~

Adlai chuckled a bit at Skye’s complaint of the time. “I don’t think they’ll need to keep you here as long,” he added, though he gave Eira a sidelong look. She might be here a while longer. Amilyn had moved to sit alongside her, and Eira had finally taken out her own datapad.

She wasn’t talking, but she was sending messages to Amita for the plans to clean up the public image portion, what was and wasn’t advisable from a legal standpoint.

Adlai sighed. He hated these headaches.

He leaned back into the wall. “It’ll blow over in a week,” he said, not to anyone in particular, but just as a reminder. No one cared enough about Kashyyyk to be concerned with what happened there. Not really. The ineptitude of one alien would be forgotten as just what they should expect. And Eira? Eira would be painted in a tragic light soon enough and earn sympathy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back