• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Thrawn didn’t once flinch or showed any change in emotion with Leia’s words. He listened, he soaked them in, and allowed his mind to carefully process every syllable and muscle twitch the young woman spewed. Amilyn’s added words after Leia stormed off only fueled the thoughts he was processing over.

His red gaze followed the silver-haired woman as she glided away. Yes, it does seem strange that the galaxy requires so many humanitarian missions. His thoughts delved down a very different path than from what he assumed Amilyn meant, and Thrawn allowed those thoughts to simmer as he took his moment of isolation to observe the artwork from the home world of Queen and Princess Organa.

As he shifted through the paintings, Thrawn kept a look out for the woman who always manage to walk away at the opportune moment. Not many stopped him to talk to him, for not many in the Core would be willing to talk to someone like himself, given the xenophobic nature of the people.

It didn’t bother him. He allowed himself to get lost in the artwork, as he shifted from the paintings to the sculpture room. So enamored with the lifelike piece before him, Thrawn didn’t even notice Eira in the same room as he, even if she, and the Organas, remained in the back of his mind.

~~

Skye recalled the special meaning of the thranta for Eira, and she softly smiled at her realization of the connection. She wouldn’t say anything about it, as it wasn’t her place. Nor was the location appropriate for any further discussion of the thranta and Eira.

“Oh, they sound so tragically beautiful. I admit, I don’t know much about nightswans myself.” Her head cocked, considering Adlai’s addition. “Though I do think I’ve heard of that criminal Nightswan.” Although she never met him, Skye was quite familiar with his work, and they shared a few acquaintances in the same circles.

“That does sound fun – flying without a shield blocking the wind.” While she knew how exciting flying in the clouds could be – and beyond – Skye admitted that she never had the chance to allow that feeling of freedom between the strand of her hair.

Did a landspeeder count?

A glimpse of blue from the corner of her eyes caught her attention, and Skye shifted her head to look at what it was. Her jaw clenched at the sight of the Grand Admiral, but Eira may enjoy his company. She still couldn’t quite figure out why.

“If you wish to give the press a field day, you can always go over there and talk to that Grand Admiral,” she mentioned to Eira, motioning her head in Thrawn’s direction.

~~

The mention of Lin’s name sparked recognition in Cora. Oh yeah, my sister is a fan of his. She didn’t mention that though, not when Karyn seemingly squeaked out a plea for help at her stumbling over a celebrity.

Her own concerned look was quite different than the amused one Lin had. “Oh don’t worry, I completely understand. She’s quite mesmerizing, isn’t she? I must tell Eira she has a great admirer. And so I can accurately tell her, what are your names?”

Stepping in for Karyn, seeing as the woman seemed to be a bit too starstruck, Cora offered her hand. “I’m Cora, and this is Karyn.”

Lin took her hand, but instead of shaking it, he lifted it to his lips for a chaste kiss. “A pleasure to meet two exquisite ladies such as yourselves.”

Cora raised an eyebrow at the gesture, but she didn’t find his actions terribly displeasing. A typical charmer indeed. Before she could respond, Lin added on, as he let go of her hand, “I was hoping if either one of you two would care for a dance?”

A few couples had started to join the music in the middle of the atrium, where there was space for formal dancing without worries of knocking into any art. A museum built with a ballroom in mind.

Cora’s mind flashed to Eli for a second. He’s not here though. Besides, there’s nothing going on. And one dance wouldn’t hurt, unless Karyn wanted one…She figured that the officer would be more interested in a dance from the actress, but still, Cora looked over at Faro with a questioning gaze.

~~

Oh, Paili knew of Eli’s internal monologue. She knew of his absolute disdain for her. It was clear in his face, at least to her. This was why she didn’t want to deal with any underling, for they weren’t nearly as well adapted to the life of politics and false niceties as many upper-level officers were.

Then again, if the rumors surrounding Grand Admiral Thrawn were true, then neither was he. But she would’ve gotten a better answer from him.

She glanced down at the arm he offered, and almost considered snubbing him. Almost. Even if they could clearly both see through each other’s false words, Paili still had to maintain her role as a senator to the unwilling officer. I knew you only served what is in the interest of the Empire. Or only what your master tells you to do.

With a smile, Paili accepted his extended arm. “Oh, I’m sure you will let him know.” And tell him of his clear disdain and to never help the senator from Corellia.

She wasn’t worried. She handled worse.

Skye didn’t offer the truth in this situation, either, and Eira was grateful for it. One day, she hoped to share much more. She had a feeling, for better or worse, that Skye would loosen her tongue, relieve her of some paranoia, as time went on. As she learned, more and more, that she could enjoy talking about her past with Adlai, rather than live with the thought that it was better he know almost nothing.

With Skye, it didn’t matter. They were both damned for what they’d been.

Eira wanted to confirm that it was fun to fly that way – but she didn’t. Explaining away flying on creatures in this environment was not something she had a ready lie for. She didn’t know if Skye had or hadn’t, either. Plenty of Jedi did learn to commune with creatures – it was how Eira was recognized, in truth – but not all used it much. “Perhaps one day we can experience it,” Eira noted instead, “Assuming Adlai can keep good relations with the Queen.” A light tease.

Adlai rolled his eyes, but kept a grin on his lips as Skye noted the arrival of Thrawn. “He looks busy.” It was his small effort to say, it wasn’t a good idea to approach Thrawn.

Though he knew Eira wanted to.

And he knew what conversations might be in their future.

For her part, Eira did consider what Adlai said – that Thrawn looked busy was accurate. He seemed to be studying the art. Even at this distance, seeing mostly his back, Eira could tell he was losing himself to it, though she still doubted he’d be easily surprised.

It may have been better to slip away to speak to Breha, but then again, Adlai also needed to do that, didn’t he? It wasn’t that long ago that they left her company, heading back so soon would be needlessly suspicious…but she might serve to keep Thrawn from going that way for a bit. ‘But how does it look to leave Adlai with a new woman?’

“True,” Eira consented, “but you do need time to consider if Skye is a good match. I know you tend to make friends of your guards,” friends defended people better than those simply paid for it, “And to speak with Queen Breha about that bill your Senator is considering,” boring things, “I’ll leave you to it – even if Mitth’raw’nuruodo is busy, I can find something to do that won’t interfere – though do try not to start any other rumors,” she said it playfully, of course.

It was a small warning. Rumors were a part of this life; anything beyond rumors, however, could spoil everything.

Adlai laughed easily and shook his head, “I intend to start at least 7,” he said instead, not specifying what sorts, before he’d let Eira part from his side. She approached Mitth’raw’nuruodo silently, and wouldn’t speak when she came to stand alongside him, concerned that she might disturb him more with a word.

Adlai would simply gesture that they leave the area.

He would want to reconnect with Breha, of course – but first things first, moving on from this scene. There was more art to see. It was an easy enough excuse.

~***~

Lin was all charm, promising to offer up their names to Eira without taking so much as an insult of being seen as secondary to her. Karyn’s crimson cheeks didn’t fade any, but she relaxed a little as Cora took over and introduced them. She wondered if Eira would even remember her.

It wasn’t that long ago, but Eira likely encountered many people throughout her days. And she had so many more important things to do.

Lin asked for a dance, and Karyn shook her head, “You can go ahead, Cora, I’ll look like a fool. Besides, I can tell Eli how great a dancer you really are,” she added. No doubt, Lin would put them all to shame, but at least Cora would do a better job than Karyn had done with Eira. Or ever would do, for that matter.

Cora deserved to have some fun while they were there, after all, and if a celebrity was asking her to dance? All the better. Especially since Cora didn’t get flustered and tongue-tied.

~***~

Eli Vanto would have preferred to be snubbed in the moment. It would have been another reason to tell Thrawn not to deal with this individual, but of course, he wasn’t allowed that pleasure. Paili took his arm as it was offered. Her dry tone indicated that she was certain Thrawn would know.

And maybe Tarkin.’

The thought crossed his mind to tell Tarkin, to let him know people were interfering with Thrawn’s mission – or attempting to.

However, that thought was quickly pushed out of his head. Even if Tarkin cared, Eli suspected it would somehow backfire for all of them. Well, all of them except Tarkin, who would likely take some cruel amusement in their situation.

So, Eli chose silence, and to simply amuse himself with the considerations he’d not act on, as he led the Senator back to the hangar where her ship was. He’d pull his arm away from her and gesture her back to the ship, “I do apologize that the Grand Admiral wasn’t here to see you himself. I hope you have a safe journey.” Whether to Corellia, or simply down to Coruscant, it mattered little.

A few officers who had been there before did pass the pair odd looks. It was a rather quick meeting, after all. They weren’t expecting to see Eli or Senator Paili back so soon.

Eli knew he’d be dealing with her again in some way. It was just a question of whether or not Thrawn would end up also working to put someone…better suited in her place.

Skye relaxed some since the observation of Thrawn’s appearance. She still didn’t like the idea of Eira approaching him and talking to him, but she knew what she was doing. Eira was used to mingling with people of all walks of life, including Imperials. Dangerous Imperials.

Skye wondered exactly how many of the rumors surrounding Thrawn were true.

An easy chuckle sounded from her. “If his rumors start any fights, I’ll be sure to quickly intervene as his hopeful new bodyguard.” She flashed a look to Adlai, before her gaze momentarily returned to Eira as she walked away to join Thrawn.

Oh Eira, I hope you know what you’re doing.

Skye followed Adlai away from their current area. It would be easy to pretend to be interviewed while looking over the paintings and sculptures together. Bonding over their difference in interpretations.

“I hope that my easily getting bored over talks of politics isn’t a dealbreaker,” she chuckled. “It was never a topic I was particularly fond about.” And it was the Jedi’s position in politics and in the Republic that resulted in her current situation. Always moving, always hiding, never trusting anyone with her true identity, before she met Eira.

~~

The art showed great pride in their world. Nearly every subject matter related to Alderaan either by showcasing its lengthy history or the magnificence of their natural environment. Some of the very pieces themselves appeared as if they could very well blend in to the environment they mimicked.

All the signs of a pacifistic planet.

Thrawn allowed more thoughts to gather and simmer in the back of his mind. His hearing was easily able to pick up the footsteps that approached him from behind, and given the gait and length between steps, it was easy to surmise who it was that approached him.

Who else would be so bold as to approach him?

“Eira, please, tell me what it is you see.” At that, Thrawn turned to look at the woman, as he found himself curious as to how she would describe the sculpture directly in front of them.

An expertly detailed piece made of blue glass that created a bush of the regal starflowers.

~~

Cora would rather Karyn didn’t mention the dance at all to Eli. But it was silly to think that. This was a harmless dance, and there was no reason to hide this from him. The drink is just getting to you, making you think silly thoughts.

She turned back to Lin, who held out one hand with a grin. “Okay, sure. I would love to dance.” Her lips easily curled into a smile with the charm Lin oozed. Okay, I now see why my sister is a huge fan. He had a boyish charm that was endearing.

“Don’t worry,” he said to Karyn with a wink, “I won’t keep your friend for long.” With a twirl of the fabric of her skirt, Lin whisked Cora onto the dancing area, where both easily entered into a formal dance. Then, as they danced together, he added, “Unless, of course, she wants to.”

Cora offered a friendly smile. “I’m afraid your charms won’t work on me.”

He shrugged. “It did get you to accept my offer, didn’t it?” She chuckled and allowed herself to enjoy the moment, the excitement of twirling around a gallery full of priceless art and important figures of the galaxy.

~~

Paili gave no indication that she noticed the officers sparing them an odd look. Yes, the meeting was short, and no, she was no pleased with what transpired on the Chimaera.

While she still held a neutral opinion on the new Grand Admiral, she was less than impressed with his aide, Eli Vanto. She may just as well try re-appealing to the Senate for help in combatting the irritating rebel cells that kept popping up and causing trouble.

Paili pulled away and started back to the ramp of her ship. She stepped onto the ramp, and then gave a brief pause, turning her head to glance at Eli from over her shoulder. “Thank you, but I do hope that the Grand Admiral is better equipped to handle the matter of politics than his...puppy.” She didn’t wait for a response, instead walked the rest of the way onto her ship, with her guards following close behind her.

One of the officers nearby quickly ducked their head to hide the uncontrolled expression of shock and amusement at the Senator’s choice of words for Commander Vanto. Lady’s got balls.

They exited the area of the sculptures, though did not immediately head towards the atrium. He ventured towards vases, and towards artifacts. Jewelry, crowns, thrones of the past, objects held dear by the Royal family. They were works of art in and of themselves, of course, the way the metal was woven as intricate as any painting.

He chuckled at her question, “Hardly, it is likely for the best that politics doesn’t interest you. The last thing I need is a bodyguard getting fired up over political opinions and interrupting things.”

Which had happened before. That bodyguard was no longer in his employ, not because they disagreed, but because they made things difficult. They weren’t tactful enough with their passions. “Have you had much time to think about the offer?” He did ask that.

Given she claimed ‘hopeful’ in front of Eira, Adlai did wonder if she was more keen on taking up the role now, or if that was just talk and she planned to run off soon. Eira had mentioned that they spoke, but little of what they spoke about. It wasn’t his place to knew, and yet he was a bit jealous to be kept out.

Even for his own safety.

~***~

Eira didn’t find herself surprised to be posed with a question so soon after approach. She took in the object in front of her, the sculpture of a bush of starflowers, though the only hue to it was blue. “It is something I would expect more from Gatalenta than Alderaan,” she noted first. Being within the Gatalentan complex had shown her how monochromatic they preferred things.

That, and the art in here tended to show the actual colors of what was being depicted, rather than fantastical colors like an all-blue bush and flowers.

Of course, Gatalenta was also a pacifist planet, not something that Eira would know to put together in the moment so far as art went. “It’s also not the blue of starflowers, but looks more like the toniray – but it is meant to be a starflower bush.” She had seen them, of course. “The glass offers it a translucent quality, so even though it doesn’t match exactly what it is designed after, it is going to blend in with what is around it by virtue of what’s around it, being seen through it. It would be easy to overlook in other environments. I think it’s a newer art style, as well, like the resin – though I’m not certain of that. Most of their sculptures aren’t glass.”

And certainly not blue glass.

She tilted her head and looked up at Mitth'raw'nuruodo, “What do you see?” for something so easy to overlook, he must have seen something in it to draw his attention towards it.

~***~

Karyn only laughed a little at Lin’s addition of how long he would keep Cora dancing, and she moved aside, settling against a wall near a vast painting, and sipping her wine.

“Your dress is beautiful.”

Karyn started as she heard a voice, and her eyes met those of blue – not Eira’s, but the Moon Goddess. She blinked. “You’re beautiful.” And then realized what she’d said, and flushed, as the woman in front of her brightened.

“I was worried this might make me look too pale,” she said, stroking her silver hair briefly, “Some friends thought it would make me look old, but I didn’t see a problem with that.”

“N-no, you look young and not pale at all.”

“How young?”

“Um.”

The woman leaned forward, leaning down so they were almost eye level, “How young do you think I am? Maybe I do look old….”

Faro had no idea how to answer this. Or if it was a trap. The woman’s eyes seemed genuinely sincere and searching, but she froze.

“Amilyn!” Princess Organa called to her friend, and Amilyn straightened up and looked her way. She nodded, and then passed another smile to the girl, “Next time,” she said, and moved away.

~***~

The final insult bothered Eli, and he knew it showed in his expression, but he wouldn’t speak to it. He just stared at the woman until she turned away and left his sight. The hangar would be open for her to depart.

Eli just sighed and shook his head once she was long out of sight. ‘Politicians.’ He hated them less than Thrawn, but he still hated them. He pushed his thoughts into mental lines in his head, organizing them into reasons why Thrawn should help Corellia, but not her.

Or why Thrawn should direct this to someone else.

Thrawn had business here on Coruscant, he didn’t need to get distracted by this matter. And Eli was glad he hadn’t slipped and mentioned Thrawn’s business, in the face of the woman’s questions and annoyance. To say he was at an art gallery, or about Tarkin’s business, would likely have made things worse.

They couldn’t afford rumor spreading.

“Who the hell was that?” Someone spoke up towards Eli.

Eli rolled his eyes and turned away, “Some Senator from Corellia who doesn’t realize Thrawn’s busy,” Eli waved it off. “We’re probably going to have to deal with a lot of people who feel entitled to the Grand Admiral’s time and skill from now on.”

Last edited:
Skye could only nod in her agreement. “Oh, I can imagine how well that will go down. I may be a pretty opinionated person when it comes to certain matters, but you won’t have to worry about me interrupting any important meetings.”

The shimmer and sparkle of the varying artifacts caught her eye. The rich colors of the gems in the jewelry and crowns, the intricacy of the patterns on the vases, it all made her fingers itch to just touch them from fascination. Not now.

Adlai’s question easily pulled her back into their conversation. “You know, I have spent so much of my life alone,” out of her fear of being captured, “but I think I’m ready to start a new chapter.” She turned her head to look at him, a smile gracing her face.

“Besides, I think watching your back will be quite fun for me.” There was a light tease in her words, but in their current public situation, it was the most Skye would allow.

~~

Thrawn listened with rapt attention, as his eyes remained focused on the sculpture. Naturally Eira made the comment how she assumed something of the style to be more Gatalentan than Alderaan, which he did agree with with a slight nod of his head.

“You certainly have an aptitude for this analysis,” he complimented. “With the translucent glass, one would think it is aimed for near complete camouflage of its surroundings, yet its blue hue does not quite allow that.” The unusual style of the sculpture had been what initially captured his attention, for he wanted to attempt to figure out why it was created.

“It seems that the artist wanted it to blend in with the environment of Alderaan, like many of the architecture do, if I recall correctly, and yet the very nature of this piece will also cause it to stand out.” Like it did with him. “In a way, hiding in plain sight.”

A thought that brought him to think about the Organas.

“Certainly a bold risk the artist took, would you not agree?” Thrawn turned his head to look towards Eira.

~~

The conversation between Lin and Cora remained simple throughout their dance. Casual questions of what she did, what they both liked, all while Lin remained all charms. In a brief glance over to Karyn, Cora saw that she was talking, or attempting to talk, with Amilyn, which she took in with great interest.

The song soon ended, and Lin ended their dance with a dramatic bow, at which Cora couldn’t help the her laughter at his antics. “Thank you so much for a wonderful dance.”

“And thank you for asking me.”

“Any chance I may see you again?” His eyes twinkled.

She simply shrugged, her smile still not quite faded from her expression. As she spoke, she began back in the direction of where Karyn stood. “Maybe. I do attend these parties quite often.”

Lin chuckled and watched her for a few more seconds, before he took off in his own direction. Cora remained smiling when she approached Karyn, soon after Amilyn had walked off. “So, you seem a little flustered. What did you two talk about?”

~~

Ensign Ortell, the officer who had to compose himself after the senator’s insult towards Eli Vanto, stared at the spot where the senator’s ship disembarked the Chimaera and entered lightspeed. He only hoped that he personally would never have to deal with the politicians types like Eli had to.

The ensign didn’t know if he could bite his tongue quite like Eli did. Or, what he saw of Eli with Paili.

More senators? “I have a feeling we haven’t seen the last of her. If she makes an announced arrival demanding to see the Grand Admiral, who’s to say she won’t do it again?” And except next time, Thrawn may be there to speak with her.

He didn’t know who it will end badly for more.

Last edited:
Adlai could see the way the jewelry caught Skye’s attention, but he wouldn’t speak to it. It wasn’t uncommon to be drawn by jewels, after all – plenty of sellers made a killing and mostly advertised towards women. Such things didn’t draw him so much, if only because these were rather more…ordinary. They were extravagant, but the presentation was ordinary to him.

It was what he’d expect from Royalty, and he’d seen enough of that not to be drawn by it.

He was glad for her agreement, and laughed at her flirt, but he wouldn’t admit to recognizing it for what it was. Not now. Not here. “Then I believe Monday will be a good day to handle all the paperwork and get you acquainted with the situation. We can meet at my office?” He suggested.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Breha step into that area, with a small entourage. He noted her position, and would make a plan to step in soon enough.

Business was, after all, business. He had hardly forgotten his own marching orders in all of this, and right now, Eira had done them a favor.

Hopefully Lin would find his own opening, as well.

~***~

Eira offered a small inclination of her head as Mitth’raw’nuruodo indicated she had a knack, “Trained into me, I’m afraid. You cannot be an actress without overhearing writers, directors, and others involved in setting a scene argue over the meaning of it and how to make sure the audience understands it.” And of course, she had a vested interest in sending particular messages through the medium, as well.

Looking at things with an analytical gaze, when it came to artwork, was not entirely new to her, though the medium of paintings and sculptures were not as common as examining whether or not there was symmetry in introducing a Big Bad.

She did give him a nod – art of Alderaan was meant to blend and give credit to the environment. To be beautiful within, not to contradict. Enough of the plaques suggested such a thing, taking care to mention how much of the material was from Alderaan.

He considered this a risk, “New things always are, aren’t they?” She queried, but nodded, agreeing all the same, “It is. It seems to have been a risk that paid off, if it is being displayed here as an homage to Alderaanian art and culture. It is something they must imagine incorporating into their future.”

~***~

Karyn’s eyes widened a bit when Cora approached with her query, having allowed distraction and frustration to follow in the absence of the woman. “She—she likes your dress,” Karyn answered the question first, “Stars, I must have been obvious.”

Not that she wasn’t obvious about asking about Eira.

Or even asking Eira to dance.

She’d called Amilyn beautiful – and only got her name from Leia. “I told her she looked young with the silver hair and then she asked how old she looked. I got stuck; I don’t know how old she is! Maybe she does look old….” If she had guessed too high, that would have been a mistake.

~***~

Eli Vanto allowed his gaze to focus on the ensign who continued to speak. He didn’t know him well. Well enough to know his name. Ortell. “Who’s to say we’ll have to grant her permission?” Commander Vanto asked, a sly smile touching his lips. “Generally speaking, we answer the requests because the Grand Admiral prefers that we do so, but we’re not under obligation to do so.”

Senators couldn’t demand access onto a ship. Granting her the permission had been a nicety.

Still, Eli knew what Ortell meant, and he sighed, “I know it won’t be the last we see of her, and I intend to fully brief Grand Admiral Thrawn on the matter,” with his bias included, because it would be dishonest not to include his bias. Thrawn had to be aware that Eli didn’t like her, so he knew how to look between anything negative said.

He’d also know why Eli didn’t like her. And hear Eli’s suggestions, and consider it all in his calculations – as he did with those three who harassed them at the Academy. In the end, Thrawn would do what was best.

Sometimes though…Eli did wish he was a little more petty.

Skye nodded. “Yes, Monday works well for me. Sometime that morning?” And though she wouldn’t admit it, Skye was looking forward to moving into his place. Not because she would be closer to Adlai, although that served as a bonus, but to actually have a somewhat permanent place to sleep, if not for just some amount of time, until she felt as if her safety was at risk.

Skye also noticed the movement of Breha into the exhibit area, and recalling what she heard earlier, she stated, “If you would like to do a test run tonight, I can remain close by if you need to talk to her about whatever it is politicians talk about.”

There was a hint of a smile at her feigned interest in what was said earlier. She didn’t know the full scope of what they needed to discuss, but she recalled that he wanted to talk to the Queen of Alderaan. “Don’t let the outfit and heels fool you, I’m still plenty capable of protecting someone if need be.”

~~

Eira’s explanation admittedly flew over Thrawn’s head. He wasn’t quite as knowledgable about the performing arts as he was the fine arts, so he didn’t understand how a scene in a play or otherwise could have meaning other than what was exactly shown to them.

That would have to be a conversation for another day.

“Oh yes, new things are always risky, aren’t they?” His attention had focused back on the sculpture, and he allowed his thoughts to wonder more about the bold choice for the exhibition of their entire culture and heritage. Hidden in plain sight, a risky decisions...All screams odd for a planet about pacifism.

Oh how these two lovers
and their passion they discover
wield the power of all the galaxies
if they could just forgive old formalities

Lin appeared behind the duo, his lips twitched in his signature crooked grin. “I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help the stanza when I noticed you two together, talking over art. It seemed quite romantic.”

There was the barest hint of a twitch in Thrawn's eyebrow at the interruption, and at the words.

~~

Cora’s smile grew into a grin. “And I’m sure she liked the way you wore it as well. The way I see it, being obvious isn’t a bad thing. It helps the person see that you’re interested, does it not?”

And it didn’t leave people with the sometimes-frustrating guessing games, of wondering if someone they liked, liked them back, as Cora wondered about someone.

With the explanation of the conundrum Karyn found herself in, Cora chuckled. “Something tells me she wouldn’t have been insulted by any age you would’ve guessed, but if it helps, I’ve seen her hang around Princess Organa a lot here, so I’m guessing they may be around the same age.”

~~

Ortell just wanted to imagine the look on the Senator’s face should she return only to be turned away before she could receive the clearance for the hangar. How red it would get. How much her aristocratic features would scrunch up in her anger and frustration at being denied.

“If she returns and is denied by the Grand Admiral, no doubt she will fuel the rumor mill that already surrounds Grand Admiral Thrawn.” And there were plenty about the Chiss, about his position, and how someone...like him could obtain such prestige from the Emperor.

Ortell looked back over at Eli. “Have you dealt with many of her type? Senators and politicians who are only interested in you through your connections?” It didn’t need to be spoke what he meant of that, with Eli’s well-known position as Thrawn’s long-time aide.

“Of course,” Adlai agreed, “I will send you a message Sunday with more information regarding that,” specifics of time, “the Senator sometimes likes to have early morning meetings on Monday to set the weekly agenda,” a truth, and while he appreciated it, it was tiring sometimes. Often. The agenda rarely changed that much, since so little got done.

He rolled his eyes a little at Skye’s comment, “There’s no need for a test run, however, I would like to speak to Breha on my own, and if you feel like maintaining a watch, I certainly will take note,” he wouldn’t deny that his business with Breha was, to some extent, not for Skye’s ears.

It was, to some extent, beyond simple politics.

“I do not doubt your skills in heels at all. I’ve seen enough of it,” Eira’s graceful style only seemed all the more impressive in heels – and yet, just as natural. He could only imagine what a knight like Skye was capable of, in heels, and out of heels. He didn’t think heels actually impacted them.

A question, for another day, about how the Force worked.

Not a question for here.

~***~

Eira would hardly interrupt Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s further investigation of the piece in front of him. It held his interest. To her, it was not half as fascinating as it seemed to be to him, but observing him? Observing his interest laid bare? That, she had no problems with, and wouldn’t wish to interrupt it for the world, even as she wondered at the thoughts that ticked in his mind.

What more did he see in the blue bush? What more did he learn from it?

Her thoughts, and his own, were interrupted by an outside source and she looked back with mock-exasperation to Lin as he stood behind them. One hand moved easily to a hip as her weight shifted, “I’ve told you about this,” there was a teasing chastisement in her tone as she spoke to Lin. “Mitth’raw’nuruodo, this is Lin Kiles,” Eira offered as an introduction, ignoring the words of Lin’s song entirely.

There was nothing to it – just a tease. “He’s playing the Sith Master in the Cantata of Cora Vessora and I cannot seem to escape him, rather like my unfortunate character,” not that she was terribly upset.

~***~

Karyn relaxed a little at Cora’s words. There was that part, and given what she saw of Eli and Cora, they could use being a bit more obvious. Even if it was fairly obvious to Karyn, it was somehow not obvious to the pair of them. She wouldn’t mention that now.

The fear of rejection was another, quite real, thing, after all. Karyn certainly felt it often enough, particularly in thinking about Eira. After all, Eira wasn’t exactly single to begin with.

“So…maybe eighteen or nineteen?” Karyn wouldn’t admit she’d pegged her a little older than that. Karyn sighed, “I guess at least if I’m obvious, then people can figure out how much they want to be around me pretty quick. No need to guess or fear rejection for long, eh?”

~***~

Eli Vanto canted his head, wondering which rumors Ortell referred to. There could be plenty, of course. Thrawn was followed everywhere he went by rumors.

He opted to answer the first question first, walking closer to Ortell to close some of that initial distance between them, “Yes, Governor Pryce comes to mind,” he answered easily enough. “Her type isn’t uncommon,” he gave a sigh, “I can only hope she actually cares about Corellia,” he added.

That was when he chose to add, “What rumors do you think she’d fuel, Ensign?” it was mostly to get a look at what rumors Ortell knew, and which ones painted his perspective of Thrawn.

“Oh, early Monday morning meetings. How positively dreadful for you,” Skye teased. Not that she wanted to be in his position, for she would never be able to sit through a morning meeting of trivial political matter.

She understood where Adlai was coming from, in wishing for more privacy in Breha’s company. No doubt words of sensitive nature will be exchange, and she didn’t need to overhear, even if the idea of going away deflated her mood a little.

But she still maintained the smile.

“Of course, I completely understand. I’ll still be around, just in case someone decides to attack you on my watch.” With a wink, Skye stepped away from Adlai, to allow himself some privacy with the Queen, and to allow herself a closer look at the jewelry.

~~

Immediately Thrawn did not care for Lin Kiles, if not for his words, but for the abrupt interruption. And he certainly seemed the very type to butt into situations where he was not needed. Nor wanted.

“The one and only,” Lin greeted with a smile and a bow. What an honor to finally meet the Grand Admiral everyone, including Eira here, is talking about.”

That bit of news didn’t shock Thrawn, given what he recalled what Amilyn stated back in the hangar that one morning. “The Sith Master? I sure hope your acting skills are up to par, but I of everyone know to not judge someone by their appearance.” He gazed at the actor with no emotion betraying his true thoughts swirling in his mind.

Lin cocked an eyebrow. “I’m not sure if that was an insult or compliment, so I am just going to say it was a compliment. Thank you, Grand Admiral,” he said with a dramatic bow at the waist.

~~

Cora nodded her agreement. “Yeah, that sounds about right.” The woman did seem a bit older than that, she had to admit. Maybe it was the silver hair, the exquisite gown, or just her height. Or an amalgam of the three.

She hummed in thought for a second. “I rather like that about you. I’ve always been surrounded by people who feigned niceties and interest just to save their own face, or to learn some juicy gossip. People rarely showed their true face in front of you. So if it means anything, I personally consider your obvious nature a breathe of fresh air.” She finished with a smile flashed in Karyn’s direction.

“So, thank you for being someone I can talk to. You and Eli both.” Their dance lessons together allowed for easy conversation, which she found always came so naturally around Eli.

~~

Or only cares about the power she holds on Corellia, like Governor Pryce with Lothal, Ortell couldn’t help but to add to Eli’s statement in his head. It didn’t need to be said. They all knew.

Ortell hesitated a moment. He knew of how close Eli and Thrawn were (and he admittedly were part of the betting pool that placed them secretly together), and so he knew he needed to be careful with whatever words he chose to answer with.

Not that he held any ill-will towards Eli or Thrawn, given their backgrounds. In the beginning, he did have his biases and judgements, but they were quickly pacified and replaced with respect after seeing the two men in action.

“Largely, I believe she will only contribute to the rumors surrounding the Grand Admiral’s...lack of political savvy, which may result in more politicians trying to take advantage of him and his status.” Ortell has never seen Thrawn dealing with politics, so he didn’t know how accurate or not that particular rumor was.

“Likewise, there are some who speculate exactly how he obtained his position, and a senator like her may not hesitate to play with those rumors.” Ortell read about the Batonn insurgency. Aside from the massive civilian casualty, he could see why Thrawn received his position. Others may not and speculate further.

Adlai appreciated the lack of questions, the easy agreement, to drift away. He felt some guilt, to keep this from a Jedi, from someone who would also be in employment to protect his life, but nonetheless, he moved from her to where the Queen was breaking from her own entourage.

“Queen Breha,” he greeted once again, and she extended her hands. He caught both in his own grasp and dropped to a knee, dropping his head in that fluid gesture, and rising just as easily, the formality of it all only too familiar, and needing nothing greater than that.

“Count Malvern,” the Queen greeted, “I apologize for putting you off earlier.”

“Not at all,” he shook his head with a smile, dropping on of her hands as the other easily adjusted so she could walk along his side, arm in arm, “I know your duties mean you must be an excellent hostess today, and I have heard quite a few stories of your parties on Alderaan.”

Breha laughed a little, “They’re exaggerated, I promise.”

“Nonetheless, I would enjoy an invitation one day, if I may be so bold as to ask for one.”

Breha’s eyes twinkled, knowing what he was truly asking for. What work tended to actually happen at these parties, “Perhaps, though it pains me to say it, many who attend are a bit…hopelessly clique-ish, but let’s talk more. Perhaps we will find that you would fit in with them.”

~***~

Eira was never going to live down her fascination with Mitth’raw’nuruodo. She was coming to terms with this, but still felt a twinge of embarrassment as it was brought up again, in his presence. That the Grand Admiral seemed to doubt Lin’s capabilities also came as little surprise.

Lin didn’t seem like a villain, not in looks, nor in attitude. Of course, he wouldn’t look himself for that role. He’d look like Palpatine.

“I think he suits the role so far,” Eira allowed, “soon enough you may see for yourself, if you consider seeing the play.” Whether he did, or didn’t, would be interesting. If he’d see and understand some aspects would be more interesting, in truth, but that was still some weeks off. “Although the make-up does him no favors,” she chuckled.

How could it? Old and wrinkled hardly suited Lin, and losing his hair beneath wig caps? No, no one was going to be falling in love with the Sith Master. His apprentice, maybe. To their own tragedy. Darius deserved none of that affection.

~***~

It was strange to hear her open nature complimented, but Karyn wouldn’t protest it. There were times she wished that she was less open, or able to hide things better, but it had its perks, as Cora outlined. Cora didn’t have to question if she was sincere, for one. Her friends, in general, didn’t need to worry about that kind of thing.

Eli was much the same way – which Karyn noted.

“You need to come out to the Outer Rim more. Or Wild Space,” Karyn chuckled, “you might get too much honesty for it to seem like a breath of fresh air anymore,” though not all were so honest, and she knew it. Crime lords made the Outer Rim their home for a reason, and they were as skilled of liars as any politician.

Karyn patted Cora’s shoulder, partly to get them moving again, “Tell me about Lin, though! How did he seem?”

~***~

‘It’s not a rumor if it’s true.’ Eli Vanto thought, but he didn’t express that. Thrawn didn’t need that getting out about himself, even if it might actually force him to learn or develop some political savvy he kept being bothered because people thought he was easy to manipulate.
He wasn’t.

No matter his lack of political savvy, Thrawn still saw much more than most did.

Eli didn’t speak to that, just nodded, before his eyes widened and his brows lifted. A bark of laughter escaped him at that. That rumor was new. “Who do they think he fucked to get his position?” Did they think he fucked the Emperor? Tarkin? Both seemed wholly uninterested in that sort of thing.

Or rather, if they were interested…no one would be getting anywhere from it. It’d be cruel lies.

Last edited:
“Why thank you, my lovely Cora Vessora.” Lin beamed at the appraisal Eira bestowed upon him, to which Thrawn merely raised an eyebrow. Maybe he would be surprised by Lin’s acting abilities to turn into a Sith Lord.

If there was something Thrawn had learned, was to always expect the unexpected from people.

“Given my extended assignment on Coruscant, I may just have to see this play for myself.” It would be one of his first live performance that he attended, and another peculiar attribute of humans. This would give me a chance to see how their cultures are incorporated into performative pieces.

“Oh ho, yes, you must! As my darling Eira just mentioned, you will hardly even recognize me. My wonderful locks of hair?” At that, he ran his fingers through his mop of curls. “Sadly will not be seen once I’m in character. And my youthful appearance? Gone. Vanished, thanks to the talents of our makeup department.”

Thrawn did try to conjure up an image that Lin described of himself in the play, and it was still a near impossibility for him. “Intriguing. And do you alter your appearance any for your role?” Red eyes focused back on Eira when the question was asked.

~~

Cora started with Karyn’s light motion. “Oh, I would love to visit the Outer Rim or Wild Space, but,” she shrugged, “nothing of that sort will happen for at least three months, so we will just have to wait and see.” She didn’t know how she would tire of the honestly, but like everything else, she imagined it could wear out its charm.

Then, naturally, Karyn asked about Lin. “He seems sweet enough, a bit of a charmer, and really funny.” Several times he had made her laugh during their dance, as his humor came natural to him. “But not really my type. He seems to flirt with everyone he talks to, and that’s not my thing.”

She shrugged, eyes flickering to a few pieces of art as they strolled along. “Besides, a famous person with a hectic schedule? It’s amazing we managed to see him here.” But, in the end, she would not deny she enjoyed the dance and their light talk. If he remembered her in the future should they see each other again at another similar event, she may strike up a conversation.

~~

Ortell withheld the grin that wanted to bloom across his face at Eli’s reaction. He swallowed it and shrugged in his response. “Like I said, just rumors, most likely from bored people.”

The ensign that stood next to him spoke up. “Although I have heard some people speculating the relationship between the Grand Admiral and Governor Tarkin, given he seems to be one of the few people that the Governor can tolerate.”

Both ensigns trailed off and looked at Eli, realizing that they themselves were gossiping about the Grand Admiral and close friend of Eli Vanto. “But of course we don’t partake in any of these rumors, sir,” Ortell offered, with a quick nod by the ensign next to him.

Walking, talking, pausing by notable pieces of art made keeping the illusion of ease, easier.

“I am glad that you could make it, Count Malvern,” Breha said, “Bail has spoken highly of you and your support of many of his bills in the Senate, despite your history with the Separatists.”

Adlai gave a sigh, “It was a strange time. We all have our regrets,” he eyed her, and saw how her own gaze dropped. Indeed. Regrets for supporting the once-Chancellor. “But the war is over. We are able to engage in conversation again to make changes, and I find it refreshing to have Alderaan see things my way, even if it isn’t the popular way.”

Breha shook her head, “No, no it isn’t,” and not so far from what the Separatists had once wanted. The ability to be themselves. Palpatine wanted to take that, from all of them.

They paused before a tapestry that would have easily blended into the hue of the castle stonework, and Breha continued, “Though with all the military spending of the Empire, you would wonder at that fact. I appreciate the additional security, but it seems if we are at peace, we have no need of this excessive stockpiling of weapons.”

“I have shared a similar sentiment, and have often had it pointed out that not all planets are yet committed to the Empire, that threats exist in the uncharted areas, and of course, that rebels, of all things, are actually a problem.” His smile was thin, “The closest thing I’ve heard of to an organized group is that of Syndulla, and we know the state of Ryloth now.”

“Yes,” Breha sounded sad for that.

Adlai wouldn’t blame her. Ryloth’s state was nothing to be happy about. What was happening to the twi’leks was terrible. “It does seem irrational to fear these bands of misguided terrorists,” she chose her own words carefully.

“Though if they came together, perhaps there would be reason to fear.”

~***~

Eira was not surprised to see Mitth’raw’nuruodo try to focus on drawing the image up of Lin. His expression was one she’d seen before in those trying to imagine Lin as an old man without hair. It was always a little amusing, but she didn’t laugh.

She shook her head at the question pointed her way, “No, not drastically,” she noted, “Green contacts, and my attire will be more inspired by what we know of the Nightsisters – a lot of green coloring to it, but my hair will remain untouched, at least,” which she was thankful for. It didn’t need to be bleached again anytime soon. “Apparently black hair is ‘witchy’ enough.”

They were discussing the possibility of temporary tattoos, but so far, nothing was agreed upon. They were consulting old information on the Nightsisters. Even if her skin wasn’t going to be painted to be the white of those women, as Cora was never described as actually being one – just a witch – they deemed it unnecessary.

It would also lose popular appeal if she didn’t seem human.

~***~

It would be awhile, Karyn knew, but then again, perhaps they’d talk Thrawn into letting them have a bit of extended leave to visit a few places further away. After all, there wasn’t exactly too much to do here on Coruscant, this seemed like a good time to burn through personal time.

She’d save that for later. With Eli around. They could talk of visiting a place together, or going to see his home, perhaps.

Lin, at least, wasn’t Cora’s type. That was a good thing. “Your type is a bit less suave, eh?” She couldn’t help but be amused. Eli was definitely not the suave charmer that Lin was, that was for sure. He wouldn’t be out flirting with everything that moved.

And Eli had time.

Or rather, Eli was making time.

~***~

It was easy for Eli to see that restraint was being shown by Ortell, and then by the one who added, another ensign. Eli wondered if Thrawn was aware of the rumors.

He was pretty sure Tarkin was, but that was just because he assumed Tarkin knew most of what happened, everywhere, especially when it concerned him. It wasn’t likely to change his behavior. And Thrawn did have that queer honor of being someone Tarkin did more than tolerate.

Still, he didn’t quite stop the smile from twitching onto his lips as the Ensigns tried to deny any contribution to the rumors. He crossed his arms over his chest and arched a brow, “Do you really expect me to believe that?” He wouldn’t be chastising them for it, but he was curious how they’d respond to the question.

If they’d persist in the lie, or own up.

Eira’s description of her character helped Thrawn realized he knew very little about the play they were performing, minus a few other details she shared with him over that day they went for gelato. (And he would admit, that he still thought about the sweet treat)

“It seems interesting to me that the play features a Nightsister as the main lead, given the Core’s bias and animosity towards aliens,” Thrawn couldn’t help but to observed out loud. It did strike him as peculiar. More research will need to be done on this play.

Lin shrugged. “Everyone loves a good story about love and revenge, regardless of what the characters are or look like.”

Thrawn merely hummed in response, neither agreeing nor disagreeing. It was tiptoeing into an area he wasn’t quite familiar with. “When is the first performance of this play?”

~~

Cora smiled and shrugged. “I guess so. I suppose I’m more into those who are down-to-earth.” Those she wouldn’t have to guess at their true intentions, or those who wouldn’t mention their family’s name or fortunate in every sentence.

Previous men she dated were the typical Core-born wealthy types, and their inflated egos and haughty personality typically led to a quick end of the relationship.

“Someone with their own charm, and a sense of humor is a must.” Someone who actually had a personality. “And of course, someone with intellect.” Cora knew she would be bored quickly otherwise. “But maybe I’m making this checklist too long. What do you think? Is that too picky?”

She didn’t know where the wave of slight insecurity came from, or why she had to confirm with Faro.

~~

At first, Ortell flushed with the call-out. He assumed they would get in trouble for discussing their commanding officer in such a way, but the slight smile on Eli’s expression betrayed what he truly thought about it.

And both ensigns relaxed a bit, but didn’t quite relax their stiffened muscles. They were both still guilty of something that involved both Eli and Thrawn.

“Well,” he began, “we don’t exactly partake in those rumors, but there is one other we do partake in.”

The other ensign spoke up. “There may or may not be a betting pool going around the ship concerning you and the Grand Admiral...” he trailed off, unsure of how he should phrase the next part.

Neither one wanted to say it out loud, but instead, hoping that Eli somehow knew what they were talking about, or could put together the pieces.

There was little to say about specifics, but Adlai was able to get a good sense that those at Breha’s parties were all, or mostly, involved in a rebellion. That they were organizing. That they could be more – and the Shah-tezh could benefit from it. Of course, that would depend on the others.

He knew there was power in staying small, as well. It was a problem he sensed Breha had dealt with before, as well, but nonetheless, they promised to speak again – after she had met Eira. After Eira had determined for herself how far to push this.

He did bring Breha back around to where Skye was, “I thank you for the lovely tour of your history,” Adlai was saying, before he gestured to Skye, “I wanted to introduce you to Skye Vind – a possible bodyguard, though I don’t think I’ve yet talked her into fancy parties,” he chuckled, his own way of telling Breha that Skye wasn’t yet on board.

The ‘yet’ very intentional. Whether or not she would be turned to a rebel was a question to be explored later.

Breha smiled at her, “It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Vind.”

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo seemed to think she was going to be a nightsister, and Eira quickly shook her head at the assumption, “The Core’s bias is why we’re just taking inspiration from the nightsisters. I won’t actually appear as a dathomirian on stage, but the nightsisters were most famously called ‘witches’, so it’s a way to cue the audience in to what I am – what Cora is.”

Witch.

And while most in the Core didn’t have a significant knowledge of them, some things had spread. That green was the color of magic was one of those things, and so there would be green in her attire, green for her eyes.

“The first performance is…six weeks away,” Eira did a mental calculation. Much of the staging had already been finished up, and now the casting was complete. Outfits would be finished and sized soon, while they continued to run lines and practice things. She had most of her lines memorized now, sans the additions due to Darius’s casting. “The casting of Darius pushed it back a couple of weeks, but no more than that. Will you still be on Coruscant?”

~***~

“Are you kidding? That’s just four things, that’s not long at all,” and Cora hadn’t even touched on physical attributes, which most people would consider immediately in describing what they were looking for. Karyn hardly thought that Cora was asking for too much with just those things, “Besides, even if you were asking for a lot, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. It means you probably know more about yourself and what you need.”

And so much of her description sounded like Eli, too.

“Besides, there’s already someone who fits all of those,” Karyn put on a devious smile, “You can’t tell me you weren’t thinking of Eli when you said all of that,” she hoped that Cora was, anyways.

Karyn couldn’t say much for his charm – besides within the domain of their friendship – but he seemed to match on the rest of it.

~***~

‘Everyone on this ship, I swear.’

Eli tried not to let too much amusement show. Tried to look either exasperated, or annoyed, as the two confessed to what they did partake in. He knew those rumors – he’d told Karyn and Cora as much over dinner. There was no truth to them. Perhaps if he swung that way, he’d find Thrawn to his liking, but he didn’t.

And he didn’t think that Thrawn did, either, but they never talked about that, either.

“I hope you know I’m very aware of this betting situation, and I’ve placed bets on it myself to make sure I win the entire pot.” He stated matter-of-fact, failing to keep the amusement out of his tone.

Skye hardly paid any attention to their conversation. Her ears occasionally picked up a sentence here and there, and she knew it was a coded talk, given their current surroundings. But what exactly are they hiding?

Naturally she wondered if their intentions held any sort of threat for her, but she squashed that though. If Eira trusted Adlai, then it couldn’t be anything worth her suspicions.

Eventually, they came up to where Skye stood, casually observing the pieces. She offered a kind smile to Breha as Adlai introduced her, allowing a light chuckle at the mention of her dislike of fancy parties. “I don’t mind them as much when there’s an open bar.”

Oh how meeting the Queen of Alderaan reminded her of being a padawan, strung along by her Master to whichever politician was their mission. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Queen Breha,” she lightly inclined her head in a polite greeting. "I have heard wonderful things about you."

~~

Thrawn nodded to the simple correction in his assumptions. It was a simple enough mistake to make, and it was a way to make the play more palatable for the Core audience.

“Oh yes, you must come to our performance! I know Eira here will be so ecstatic if you came,” Lin continued to tease.

Thrawn lifted an eyebrow. “Is that so?” He hardly knew what to make of Lin’s words, but he already knew that he wanted to see this play. The fact that Eira was in it was merely a happy coincidence. “Fortunately, I will still be on Coruscant in six weeks’ time, so I think time could be made to watch your performance.”

Lin’s resulting grin irked Thrawn in ways he couldn’t explain. “See? This is perfect! It would be such an honor to have a high-ranking Imperial officer such as yourself to watch our show.”

~~

Cora nodded. “Yeah, I guess you’re right, and I certainly know what I don’t need.” Those with inflated egos. They were already insufferable enough.

She furrowed her brows at the suggestion that someone already fit those descriptors. Apparently, someone they both had to know for Karyn to mention it in the first place. Her question was immediately answered, and nothing could stop the flush that crept up on her face.

After Karyn mentioned Eli’s name, Cora realized she was thinking of him. “I-I wasn’t!” She couldn’t even convince herself of that lie, and how she suddenly found a particular painting fascinating. The contrast in how she reacted to Karyn’s words compared to Lin’s flirting nature did not escape her.

She sighed. There was no use in trying to hide it any further. “I doubt he’s interested anyways.”

~~

The two ensigns had tensed momentarily after they spilled the secret, but they could see that Eli couldn’t keep the exasperation on his face for too long.

Oh no, in fact, he admitted to them that he knew about the betting pool, and that he made bets himself. That had been surprising. A flummoxed expression crossed both of their faces, not quite expecting that answer.

“Well, that’s a surprise,” Ortell admitted.

The other ensign nodded. “But smart, if not a bit unfair at the advantage.”

Ortell piped up, “Is the Grand Admiral aware of this betting pool?” He couldn't imagine Thrawn would know of something like this about him. Surely if he did, he would shut the entire operation down. Or surprise them like Eli did, and place bets himself.

Breha laughed lightly, politely, at Skye’s addition of an open bar. Of course, her parties only had the illusion of that sort of thing. The drinks she and the others had were often either not alcoholic at all, or watered down, so that only the people who weren’t involved got terribly drunk. She couldn’t always avoid the odd imperial.

Even Tarkin had crashed a party once, and she and Bail had to have a spat over his supposed interest in Mon Mothma.

“Thank you, I hope to maintain my good reputation through my acts. Please, if either if you have further questions, do not feel any hesitation in asking me. I fear that I have left others too long ignored, though.”

Adlai inclined his head, “I understand. I hardly have call to occupy you the entire time,” he noted, and she easily dismissed herself from their presence then, to speak with others in the gallery.

~***~

Eira was trying to maintain some poise with Lin’s insistence, but she knew her cheeks were already taking color as Mitth’raw’nuruodo seemed intrigued that she would be ecstatic to have him present.

Of course Eira wanted Mitth’raw’nuruodo to go. For the reasons Lin knew, but also because she did hope he’d like her performance. A pathetic reason, but there, all the same. “If you do choose to attend,” she would glide over her own joy at the thought, and make a mental note to punch everyone who was making this difficult for her, especially Lin and Amilyn.

‘Lin-Lyn.’

“And you need tickets, just let me know, we’re always given a few extras to offer to friends and family,” she noted, “This way if you do end up detesting theater, at least you have not wasted any credits on it.” Though she didn’t think he would detest theater, it was always possible the story wouldn’t be much to his liking.

What did legends of the Sith and Jedi mean to him? To the Chiss?

Oh, to be able to ask that…alas.

~***~

Cora was painfully obvious. The way her cheeks reddened? The immediate denial, and turn away from Karyn? The woman couldn’t hold back an exasperated sigh as she looked at the painting herself, and waited for Cora to either change the subject, or dwell on it a little longer.

Cora chose to dwell.

Karyn let out another exasperated sound, and gave Cora a look, “Eli may not be as obvious as me, but he’s definitely into you, Cora.” Karyn would at least neglect to say that Eli told her as much, explicitly, but she had to do something to encourage this line of thought, right? And it was so obvious. “Even Thrawn would see it.”

Although she would not be inviting Thrawn to weigh in, mostly because Thrawn hadn’t actually seen enough that she could be certain he noticed, but she still figured he’d realize it soon enough. “I mean, he definitely filled his time in other ways before meeting you and deciding to spend time practicing things with you. And he must like spending time with you, more than he did those other things.”

~***~

Eli laughed, “It is, but the payout is good. Can you blame me?” He couldn’t help but joke along easily. He tended to get on better with those in the lower ranks, usually because the upper ones were competitive. Not as much on Thrawn’s Chimaera, but it did occur. Transfers, in particular, were nuisances at the beginning.

Sometimes throughout.

Eli shook his head at the question of Thrawn knowing, “I’m not sure,” he admitted, “I haven’t asked him, but he probably knows.” He just couldn’t imagine Thrawn being unaware if he knew. Eli knew how observant Thrawn could be, after all.

Skye passed on her own parting greeting before Breha walked away. Her eyes remained on the Queen for a few seconds longer, as she recollected a distant memory. “Some used to talk about her quite often, praising her beauty and kindness. I can see they weren’t wrong.”

No words were needed to state who she referenced. If Adlai couldn’t figure it out, then he won’t know.

She snapped back to the present, returning her attention to Adlai with a smile on her face. “I trust you two had a pleasant conversation?” Despite her curiosity, she wouldn’t press to find out what they were talking about. Politics was a sensitive topic nowadays.

~~

Lin expected some retaliation for his teasing at a later time, and he was fully prepared for it. It was worth it to see the reaction on Eira’s face, and any change in emotion on Thrawn’s.

That man was hard to crack.

Thrawn shook his head. “Oh that is hardly necessary. I am able to acquire my own ticket.” He had more than enough credits sitting in his account, as he rarely spent his newly acquired Grand Admiral’s salary on materialistic goods.

“But she insists,” Lin interrupted. “Plus if you buy your own, there’s no guarantee that you will get a decent seat. If you allow Eira here to get you some? Full guarantee that you will have an excellent view of our wonderful faces.”

Thrawn didn’t know how to quite react to Lin’s...boisterous personality, but he did consider the advantages of being given tickets. “Perhaps you will let me think on that offer then.”

~~

Cora bit her lip, unsure of how to interpret the exasperated sigh from Karyn. Was she so oblivious to something that apparently was obvious to the other woman?

A wide grin had split across her face, but it quickly disappeared when their affection may even be noticed by Thrawn. The thought of their Grand Admiral getting involved in any capacity with their potential love life was embarrassing. But, given Eli’s friendship with Thrawn, could that be avoided? “Oh, kriff, I hope not,” she moaned.

Karyn had a point, how Eli started to spend his free time with her, and likewise for Cora. It gave her some small hope that something more could be there.

Her gaze shifted back onto Faro, as the flush in her cheeks slowly faded. “Has he said anything to you? I know you two are good friends...” The only other person she knew Eli talked to a lot was Thrawn, and stars, she would die of embarrassment if she ever asked the Grand Admiral anything related to this topic.

~~

Ortell shrugged. “No, can’t say I blame ya.” If he was in the same position, he would bet on himself as well for those extra credits.

But if Thrawn knew about this bet? He still couldn’t imagine how the Grand Admiral would react. Ortell still wasn’t familiar with him, and he was still hesitant with the Chiss. Core bias remained in the back of his head, but unlike mot he graduated from the Academy with, he tried to not let that cloud his perception on those who were obviously skilled officers.

Like Eli Vanto and Thrawn.

“Where is the Grand Admiral this evening, sir?” Eli had to send the Senator away because Thrawn was gone, but Ortell never heard what Thrawn was doing that evening.

‘The Jedi praised beauty?’ Adlai assumed that was who Skye meant, though of course, he would not ask. He merely found that tidbit odd, if it were true. As much as he knew that Jedi were sentients with actual feelings and urges, he couldn’t get over what he knew of their code.

What he knew of Eira, who was always so composed and controlled.

Adlai nodded, “We did,” he agreed, “We may have to bother a Grand Admiral in a bit, but for now, let’s enjoy the gallery more,” he said, and gestured, “For instance, why does this draw your attention?”

He had noticed her interest in the jewelry, and was curious if it was just the stereotype of women, or if there was more to it. Eira had some kyber jewelry, though she rarely wore it. It had the bad habit of responding to her – glowing – when she wore it.

~***~

“Of course,” Eira wasn’t going to force anyone to take tickets. Besides Adlai. Adlai would be forced to take a ticket, because that was absolutely expected of him in his role, and he didn’t need to spend his own funds on a ticket.

Others in the Shah-tezh would find their own way into tickets, as well, between herself and Lin. Maege would have to miss it, as always, which was unfortunate, but one day these things would change.

One day, it would all be better.

Just like one day she’d tell Lin he had also ruined her plans to learn a little more on how Mitth’raw’nuruodo saw art. Perhaps she did actually owe him thanks for the interruption, in spite of the teasing. It certainly helped to kill the mood and remind her. “I will have to ask you more questions about some of this art, Mitth’raw’nuruodo. I am interested in your thoughts on the resin,” she gestured, “but I think I’ll take Lina way so you can enjoy it in peace.”

~***~

‘Awwww.’ That wide grin was adorable, even if it faded quickly. The reason was obvious soon enough, and Karyn snickered a little, “I don’t think he has any idea. Yet.” He would eventually. Eli and Thrawn were close, and if it was obvious to Karyn? It wouldn’t be long before it was obvious to Thrawn.

He’d at least notice something was off with Eli.

Cora’s specific question was one she had to answer, though Karyn hesitated a moment, bit her bottom lip, then said, “Yeah. At the restaurant, when you left to get more drinks,” she offered the environment, to set it, so that Cora wouldn’t doubt it, “After I’d offered to help you two find someone for helping me with Eira.”

Who remained out of sight.

She was still going to help them, of course. “But look, you can’t tell him I told you, he wouldn’t trust me again – but it’s just not right to let you two go on stupidly pining for each other when I know you both like each other.”

~***~

At least they all understood making sure to win bets and credits.

Eli hesitated a moment on how to answer the question. It wouldn’t be a lie to say the art gallery showcasing Alderaan, and he didn’t think Thrawn would be upset with him for that. Would it be right to say it was for business?

It was, partially – but that hedged on things others weren’t supposed to know.

Was it right to have it seem that a senator was dismissed so Thrawn could have some pleasure in life? ‘No.’ Especially given such limited warning.

“He’s at the Alderaanian art gallery. I know Queen Breha is there today,” Eli said. That might seem reason enough to make it business, on its own merits. In a way.

Skye stiffened a bit at the mention of the Grand Admiral. Would Adlai expect her to be around him when they did that? Or could she wonder off again, like when he talked to Breha? She wouldn’t ask about it though.

If she were to be his bodyguard, she would have to get used to risky situations. Just don’t do anything stupid. Skye practically could hear Master Parsa echo those words in her head.

The question distracted her easily enough, though she pondered on how to answer it. Oh, because I have quite a colorful history with jewelry and smaller pieces of art, and I like to guess their monetary worth as an odd game. Oh yes, quite the answer that would be.

Skye shrugged. “The rich colors, the different ways the stones are set. Really, it’s a variety of reasons, and they’re designs I’m not quite used to seeing.” Not a total lie, as she didn’t see many luxury items like that when she was still living at the Jedi Temple, except when her and Master Parsa engaged in the occasional assignment with a politician.

~~

Before Thrawn could speak up, Lin sighed and placed a hand on Eira’s shoulder. “Actually, I see some more people I want to talk to. So why don’t you two enjoy the art and talk about it, however you do that.”

He personally didn’t understand how people could analyze art to such great details, and yet music could inspire multiple holobooks of analysis for him. To him, the art was simply pretty shapes and colors.

“Now, I bid you two adieu.” He bowed, once more, with a dramatic flourish of his arm. “It was nice to finally meet you, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and I do hope we will see each other again soon.” At that, Lin strolled away.

And Thrawn was pleased to finally have a moment alone with Eira once again. Or, at least, to be away from the eccentric musician. “Interesting man,” he muttered, staring off at Lin before focusing again on Eira. “Now, did you say you had more questions about art?”

~~

Cora could only breathe a sigh of relief as Karyn suggested Thrawn didn’t know anything yet. But he could always see what wasn’t there, or what wasn’t obvious to everyone around him. Did that apply to people as well? I guess I’ll find out one day.

Karyn’s reaction to her question had Cora lifting one brow in curiosity, but her answer caused a flutter in her stomach. So he is interested! Oh, how she felt like a silly schoolgirl with a crush. She was an Imperial officer, dammit!

The wide grin stretched across her face again, and this time it stayed. Cora wrapped her arms around Karyn in a quick hug, after which she said, “I promise I won’t tell him, and thank you for actually telling me.” And now hopefully one of them could actually stop the pining and make the next move.

“And of course, I still need to help you find Eira!” She would try and maintain her commitment of getting Karyn one dance that evening. “Unless, someone else caught your eyes?” She gently nudged Karyn’s side with a sly wink. “Maybe a tall woman with silver hair?”

~~

Given what he knew of Thrawn, Ortell seemed both surprised and not surprised at where Thrawn was for the evening. On one hand, there were the rumors of Thrawn’s lack of political savvy, and yet on the other, it was well-known that he held great interest in the arts.

Maybe he had gained more political skills since the rumors started?

Similar thoughts flickered in the other ensign’s head, but he decided to chime in. “Just imagined if that senator knew where he was this evening,” he chuckled.

Ortell rolled his eyes. “Maybe the entire ship would’ve heard her complaints if so.” Or felt the chill of her steely words, if she wasn't one to raise her voice.

Skye was still not relaxing with the thought of being around Imperials. That was obvious. ‘They don’t see Eira for what she is.’ He wanted to reassure. To let her know it was more that Jedi, as well, but he held his tongue.

Skye, obviously, didn’t have that sort of training or those intentions.

Adlai did arch a brow at the explanation, and he looked back at the jewelry in front of him, “I suppose I do often take it for granted that these are not common sights,” it was boringly common for him, even if he didn’t decorate with these kinds of things. Back in Serenno, his home had too many of them.

Then again, he supposed he still showed-off his position with his capes, in a way. He was all Serenno aristocracy in attire, if not jewelry.

“Are there stones you particularly like?” He said, before adding, “besides the obvious,” with a laugh, meaning kyber, but not saying it.

~***~

Lin apparently got the hint, although it left Eira with the Grand Admiral. She supposed Lin had his fill out of him, and she’d hear his opinions later. If Lin sensed Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s discomfort with his presence, she wondered if his opinion would be kind.

No matter – a problem for later, and she did remain interested in Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s view on art.

Eira inclined her head and bent forward a bit, a hand rising and clasping at air in front of her chest as she mimicked, without the ridiculous amount of dramatization, the bow that Lin offered. No flourish…but she couldn’t help but play along a little. ‘No hard feelings.’

She straightened with a smile, “Yes, he is,” Eira agreed, “I like him, though.” She also wouldn’t leave that in question, before the smile widened just a touch, “Yes. I believe you said you would offer me a tour and explain the hidden meanings and beauty of some of the pieces?” Her hands clasped behind her back, still eager to try and see art through his eyes.

To try and better understand him through it.

~***~

Karyn almost stumbled into the embrace, but then returned it, chuckling a bit. She didn’t make any note about what she’d be telling Eli after this. She had promised to look into things for him, after all. And so she would. And she would tell him of the mutual feelings. Then it was on them to do something about this knowledge.

“You’re welcome,” she said, as the embrace broke apart.

Cora was quick to return to the consideration of getting her that dance, or helping her with the silver-haired woman. Karyn flushed. “I—I mean, she was definitely eye-catching,” Karyn wouldn’t deny that, though she knew absolutely nothing about her.

Not that she truly knew much about Eira, except what tabloids picked up.

~***~

“Yeaaaaah, that’s why I didn’t mention it,” Eli indicated, shaking his head, “I doubt someone like her would understand the importance of it. Our Grand Admiral needs art to hone his skills, so it’s kind of business for him.”

Not to mention how many suspected rebels were there. Or that one in particular was there that Tarkin wanted him looking in to. “Karyn Faro and Cora Suvan also went. I’m sure you two could get the time off to go down and take a look if you wanted to.”

He allowed a touch of a smirk, “Who knows, maybe you’ll be able to follow the same path as the Grand Admiral?”

Eli couldn’t, and he knew it – but he made himself useful in plenty of other ways.

Cora lightly chuckled. “No, no they are not.” They may have been common for a wealthy Core man of nobility, but not for someone who lived a life of very little materialistic possessions.

“I didn’t exactly live a life of luxury like you did,” she teased, but as she drew forth memories of her years in isolation, the smile disappeared. “Jumping from one job to the next.” Doing what I could to stay alive.

Skye understood the unspoken stone Adlai referenced. The smile returned. “I do enjoy the rich colors of the fire rubies and dark green emeralds.” The purple of the Coruscant gem also catches her attention enough, if not for the similar colors between that and her most valuable possession.

“I suppose you don’t have a favorite? Or are you more inclined to showy weapons?” She chuckled, motioning towards his sword with a nod of her head.

~~

Thrawn observed Eira’s own parting greeting for Lin with some slight amusement. It was obvious that they were good friends, and yet it intrigued him at the diversity of people she associated herself with.

Does she have any enemies?

A light smile crossed his face. Hardly anyone was ever interested in hearing his thoughts on artful matters, unless it proved to be useful for a current battle tactic. “Of course. I am sure you are already aware of the style of art Alderaan is famous for, but I can offer you a deeper look into what I believe they convey.” Just as he had mention their last time together.

He looked up and glanced at a series of nearby pieces, all sculptures of a different style than the one they stood next to. “Where would you like to start?”

~~

As Cora pulled away, several thoughts came into her mind. If Eli asked Karyn to ask about potential feelings, did this mean she would tell Eli of what was confessed? Would Eli then approach Cora? Would she need to be the one to approach Eli?

I guess I’ll have to be patient and wait. They still had an evening to get through.

“Oh yes, she definitely was, wasn’t she.” And Cora recalled how flustered Karyn had seemed when she came back over after her dance with Lin. And if the woman was trying to flirt with Karyn, then she may actually be single, unlike Eira.

There may be more of a shot for Karyn, but Cora wouldn’t say that.

But first, Cora couldn’t see Eira in their current room, so she started towards the nearest corridor to take them to the next. “I will do my best to make sure you had at least one dance with one of these lovely ladies by the end of this event.”

~~

Ortell scoffed. “She probably wouldn’t understand anything that didn’t revolve around her.” He didn’t held any high regards for the woman he only saw for a few seconds. The quick impression hadn’t been a pleasant one.

Both ensigns knew of the two names Eli mentioned, but didn’t know the women terribly well, but neither weren’t surprised to hear that some of the officers went down to Coruscant. The second ensign spoke up, “Oh, not me. Galleries aren’t exactly my scene.”

“And I don’t think anyone could follow the same path as the Grand Admiral,” Ortell commented. Not everyone was destined to be so high in the chain of command, and with how fast Thrawn climbed that ladder?

Ortell just knew that the Grand Admiral was a wickedly intelligent officer.

Adlai knew, to some degree, that Skye would not have had such an easy life. As a Jedi, of course, materialistic attachments were frowned upon. After that? She had to avoid detection. Wealth tended to draw attention. It had to be used fast.

Apparently, in spite of years as a Jedi, she still quite liked stones. Another contrast with Eira – not that Eira disliked them, but so much of what she wore was ‘donated’ to her by brands that wanted to be shown off. She kept very little of it for long.

The purge had impacted these two differently. He wondered how much was because Eira left, how much was because she was a counsellor and Skye was a knight. “Actually, I prefer showy capes,” Adlai laughed, “but I do have a favorite, even if I am not so inclined to wear many precious stones.”

His favorite was actually kohl crystals, but those were also more of a weaponry stone than anything, so he wouldn’t say that. He also used them in that fashion.

“I have always liked pearls over other sorts of stones, the night pearl in particular that’s native to Naboo,” there was something about the simple colors they came in, their smoothness, and their sheen.

~***~

There were, indeed, plenty of options for things to look at. The resin piece that had caught Eira’s attention of the nightswan was overlooked, in favor of a piece of resin that was milky in some areas, and clear in others. Eira gestured to it, before walking over to where the depiction of a snow owl was.

The creature was tiny, and not depicted in flight, but depicted upon a tree branch – per the plaque, the same kind of tree the resin came from, although many of the details relating to the tree couldn’t be made out, as the entire tree was crafted, mostly one side of it.

There was nothing captured within it, like the nightswan, just the influence of the white that bled down from the top of it and through the sculpture in a drip. It would likely blend in rather well in a snowy environment, and still not stand out in most others due to how much of it was clear, or nearly clear. The white broke up within it, but first became opaque and spread, before vanishing. “Tell me how this seems to you,” Eira said.

~***~

Karyn flushed deeper as Cora decided she was going to go through with her goal and make sure that she got one dance. Not that she could really protest that – she wanted it, after all – but she still felt embarrassment for it.

She followed after Cora into the next space, one of sculptures, and one of Eira. Eira, who was with Thrawn – no Queen, no Count, just Thrawn, who seemed entirely in his element, while also entirely at ease.

‘Oh.’

Karyn had better odds of approaching Breha in this environment, not Thrawn. Not Thrawn who might get annoyed to have ART interrupted. “Maybe later,” Karyn indicated softly, so her voice wouldn’t carry.

~***~

Eli wasn’t surprised that the ensigns weren’t interested in such things, and he chuckled a bit, “Yeah, galleries aren’t really my thing, either,” thus why he was there, of all places, and not out with Thrawn or enjoying the day. He had to make sure everything went swimmingly, even if they were unlikely to have any issues.

Though he did wonder who would greet the Senator if he hadn’t been on the ship.

“You shouldn’t sell yourself short though, Ensign,” Eli commented, “Though I guess art can’t be everyone’s thing – what is it you like doing? What brought you into the Empire?” He could make a mental note of what Ortell thought he was good at, or what he liked. Perhaps see if he could find some way to bring it out.

He wasn’t as good at it as Thrawn, but that much, he knew he could at least get started on.

Everyone had something. He firmly believed that. Just…not everyone knew how to use it.

The Queen of Alderaan was always surrounded by her entourage, and within a place like the Coruscant Gallery, there were too many witnesses around who could protect her. At least this will prove interesting.

So why not disguise as the Coruscanti police, sent to watch the gallery opening from various corners? Posing as the police and getting in was easy enough. All it took was a little bribing and a little threatening of those who didn’t wish to comply.

A silent signal was exchanged between the mercenaries in the atrium. A silent nod and a simple gesture of their hand. Time had passed since the gallery opening commenced, and the Queen had exchanged words with numerous people. They had been patient long enough.

One approached Queen Breha, and the others slowly strolled towards them, feigning interest in the art around them as they pretend to simply be bored security guards. “Your Majesty, there’s been a security breach with your transport shuttle. We need you to come with us.”

They would only hope she would thinking nothing of the security breach and follow them without question. Subduing her away from the crowd would be easy. If not? Their concealed weapons and threats would have to do.

~~

Skye laughed along with Adlai. “Capes suit you well. I can see you enjoying the flair of dramatics.” Was that just the norm for those from Serenno? She recalled how Count Dooku loved his capes, never being seen without one.

Pearls were beautiful stones, she had to agree. The simplicity, the sheen, the smoothness? She could appreciate them. “Somehow I figured you would pick something as showy as your capes,” she teased. “But pearls are lovely. I could see why someone would favor them.”

But she couldn’t see herself adorned with pearls of any amount. Maybe earrings, if her ears were pierced, but any amount of jewelry on her felt...wrong. Even if she had done it before to create a certain image for missions and jobs. That Jedi training.

Skye opened her mouth to ask another question, but a sense of unease prickled in the back of her mind. Her mouth closed, and she frowned. Something’s going to happen.

“Something isn’t right,” she whispered, eyes darting around the room for anything that looked off. But there were only a few other people looking at the crown jewels and other artifacts of Alderaan. It wouldn’t be in that room.

~~

Thrawn followed Eira to the snow owl, a seemingly quaint and fragile piece. He heard her words to him, but he didn’t immediately acknowledge them, instead focused greatly on the resin sculpture of the small creature.

“The blend of opaque white and clear resin suggest a desire to mimic the snow on Alderaan, or rather a desire to have it blend in to those snowy environments.” Which kept in line with the other sculptures he’d seen thus far, although he could see the snow owl figure blending in better than the starflower bush.

“I would surmise that the creator of this piece wants it to be seen when they so desire it. So easily able to blend in, and yet once pulled from its natural environment, it stands out quite well, don’t you think?”

He turned his head to look down at Eira. “Tell me, what do you see?” Her previous observations on the starflower bush sculpture had been intriguing enough, so he desired to hear more of what she had to offer.

~~

Cora felt some small sense of satisfaction when she saw the flush cross Karyn’s cheeks for once and not her own. It was adorable, how enamored this officer was over the movie starlet. Cora didn’t get as starstruck over famous people like others did, but she certainly could see their charm.

Her mind briefly reflected on Lin’s charm and their dance. He was pleasant enough.

She saw the disappointment in Karyn’s eyes, and Cora turned her gaze in the direction she was looking in. Oh. Thrawn is an intimidating figure, and she didn’t blame Karyn for not wanting to approach Eira while they were talking.

“Yes, later, and this I guarantee.” Cora sounded sure, although she wasn’t sure if this was a promise she could keep. Eira always had someone of importance around her. Surely they would have better luck of approaching her while Thrawn was there instead of some royalty or politician?

“Well maybe,” she began, craning her neck to scan the room, “we can find a certain white-haired woman who certainly seemed interested earlier.” She slightly elbowed Karyn in her side, a knowing smile on her face.

~~

The ensigns felt at ease around Commander Vanto. He didn’t act like many of the other superior officers, in that they tended to look down at them and would do anything to get ahead.

He acted as if he were one of them, which, regarding the slight age difference, he might as well been.

Ortell shrugged. “All of my siblings joined the Empire. It was expected of me as well.” It wasn’t the best reason, but Ortell was still loyal to the Empire regardless of his reasons for joining.

“You should ask him about his cookies. He makes amazing cookies,” the other ensign piped up, which only resulted in a light flush to cross Ortell’s face.

“Oh I don’t think that’s what he meant when he asked what I like doing.”

Queen Breha was approached by security – Coruscanti – who came to tell her something was amiss with her ship. She was immediately wary, because she had Wedge Antilles out with her ship. If anything was going to happen, he would be the first to let her know.

A quiet alarm went off in her head. Living a life as a rebel better attuned her to things going wrong, and it helped in feigning surprise and terror, “A security breach?” She repeated, pitching her voice higher so it would spread across the room, drawing attention, the surprise bleeding in. “Oh—my daughter, I need to tell her first.”

A step back, and a look at who looked over, “Excuse me a moment, I’ll need to call my captain, as well. Thank you for alerting me.” No, she wouldn’t be going with them, but she would get to her daughter to let her know the situation – and call her own security, as well.

Those that weren’t already present, anyways.

~***~

Adlai laughed, “I rather prefer not to be that terribly dramatic, but I suppose that’s what I get for having capes and dating an actress.” Dramatics.

He didn’t personally prefer it, and he knew many on Serenno didn’t care much for it, either. Of course, capes were normal in his circles, not some fascinating artifact that added flair or drama to life.

They may have talked of more, but Skye seemed to tense up. “Skye?” He didn’t have to wait for an answer. She sensed that something was off. Adlai did a mental count of who was there, determined it couldn’t be the Empire unless he was trying to get rid of his one alien in high command. ‘Eira is with him.’

Could Thrawn know? “Let’s find Eira.” He said, not at all disregarding Skye’s instinct.

He’d be a fool to do that.

~***~

Eira had not expected immediacy. Mitth’raw’nuruodo was slipping into his zone, and she liked to watch that. She’d accept his silence for minutes to watch his face work and different thoughts pass across his eyes. ‘Back. Draw back.’ She exhaled a breath and mentally stepped herself back before she started to get a better sense of what those thoughts actually were.

And felt an immediate buzzing of alarm as she refocused on the environment as a whole.

As Mitth’raw’nuruodo spoke, she didn’t show the hint distraction. It was easy not to – he remained engaging even in talking about the art, and she could have easily forgotten it, were the mental pitch not rising in her head.

And a higher pitch, real, followed. Queen Breha’s voice. She couldn’t discern the words from so far, but the tone reached her.

The sculptures weren’t far from the atrium, and she wouldn’t pretend not to notice that, her head turning away from the owl and towards the hallway that connected. She noticed two others – but that was it. “I’ll tell you, once I’ve made sure Her Grace is all right.” Eira promised, stepping from the moment to head back to the atrium.

Karyn had focused on the promise, and the thought of finding Amilyn, Leia’s friend, but just as the thought was considered, she noticed Eira parting from the Grand Admiral.

Karyn’s expression turned quizzical, before noting Eira’s expression. It wasn’t distraught, but there was a tension to it that seemed in stark contrast with the environment – until the Officer thought a moment longer and recalled she’d heard a raised voice.

She hadn’t thought much of it, distracted by Cora’s words, but now she wondered if she ought to.

Eira passed them by without more than a glance and an apologetic smile as she moved on, and Faro decided in the moment to follow.

~***~

Family was a reason many came into the Empire. For once, it was not Eli’s reason. He had undergone the training with the Empire, but he’d always meant to return to his family business and not, well, this. Still, given how the Empire permeated everything nowadays, there was little differentiation.

Expected.

But apparently, Ortell had another tell that raised Eli’s eyebrows, “No, no, that’s kind of exactly what I meant, actually,” he hadn’t expected cookies, but he hadn’t known what to expect in the first place. “You like making cookies? What’s your favorite?”

It was an odd conversation in the Empire, perhaps especially with a superior officer, but he was sure there was something to it, all the same. People needed food to live. Food bonded people, as well. It told stories of cultures, in its way. Thrawn might figure out better how someone who liked cooking could aid the Empire, or where they were best suited – but Eli might have found the thing that set them apart.

Naturally, Queen Breha would prove to be a nuisance. They were warned of this, and came prepared. They only hoped there wouldn’t be too much trouble. After all, how many would risk trying to save her with a blaster pointed at her head?

They didn’t know that the mercenaries needed the Queen alive.

The leader of their group, the one who had first approached her, scowled at the higher pitch in tone, recognizing it as a call for attention. “Oh, I don’t think that would be necessary.” Three other Coruscanti ‘guards’ drew closer as the leader drew out his blaster, pointing it at her while keeping it close to his body.

“Now, I’m sure we can leave here without any further interruption?” There was a chill in his words, his patience wearing thin. The damn Organa women, always causing a ruckus.

~~

Skye wanted to make another quip about his magnetism for the dramatics, his words just invited a tease. But the feeling that not all was alright pulled on her more.

The corridor led them to the atrium. It didn’t take her very long to figure out there was a commotion, as everyone had their heads turned towards Queen Breha and several Coruscanti guards that surrounded her.

“I don’t think it’s Eira we have to worry about,” she muttered, and her feet immediately strolled in the direction of the Queen and her ‘company.’ She could’ve sworn she saw one of them holding something, but she was still too far away to know for sure.

So Skye would just have to get closer, and intervene if necessary.

~~

For once, Thrawn didn’t notice the emotions that flickered across Eira’s face. He had been so consumed by the sculpture, as he seamlessly entered his element. It felt nice. I would love an Alderaan piece for my own collection.

He had heard the higher pitch of the Queen’s voice as well, although his attuned hearing could make out the words better, and a frown settled on his face as Eira stepped away to go check on her. His red gaze briefly followed Eira as she left the sculpture room.

Something is definitely going on. Not Rebels, and certainly not the Empire.

As his eyes followed her, he noticed two of his officers in the sculpture room as well, Suvan and Faro. Thrawn did not hesitate before marching over to them.

Cora noticed Eira just as Karyn did so, and before she could suggest to finally approach the woman, she too noticed the expression, the tension, on her face. She furrowed her brows as the woman seemingly hurried to the atrium.

She turned to follow Faro, but before they could go any further, Thrawn approached them, face emotionless as always.

“Officer Faro, Officer Suvan, I believe that the Queen is in danger.” He spoke lowly, so that no one could overhear them. “Contact the Chimaera for some backup,” he ordered before resuming his course to the atrium.

Cora blinked as she watched him walk away. “Well, this is not usually how these types of gatherings usually end.”

~~

Ortell seemed a little embarrassed with the admission of his favorite past time of the baking variety. It wasn’t exactly something worthy of the Empire, and even something he imagined he would be made fun of for.

Baking cookies? Pastries? Not particularly skills wanted by the Empire.

“He makes a mean rocky road cookie,” the other officer piped up.

Ortell lightly chuckled. “Yeah, you always consumed several dozen of them during exams.” The officer in question just shrugged, as if saying, It was worth it, and I would do it again.

“But, um, I enjoy sugar cookies. Basic, yet still full of flavor.” And when fresh from the oven, still warm and chewy? Reasons like that was why he enjoyed the baking. The scents always reminded him of his grandmother in his childhood years, who would cook with the very same recipes. “D-do you enjoy them?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back