• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Karyn and Eli just shrugged at the assessment of an instant connection. Neither would have called it that – it was more of a ‘right time, right place’ situation for the pair of them. Still, they had connected and taken the time to get to know each other over that time.

At the question of the Grand Admiral, Karyn began to nod immediately, but Eli just rolled his eyes.

He had been intimidated when they first met. Chiss were things of legends back in his hometown. Great warriors. Thrawn was all that the Chiss legends said, and more – but Eli wouldn’t call him intimidating. Not any longer. The problem with legends was, legends weren’t real.

Thrawn was. And Thrawn had flaws that Eli had been allowed to glimpse, in order to help Thrawn start to reach that legends status here, among others. “He was intimidating when he first met, but to be fair, he blew up quite a bit of work and stole away onto an Imperial vessel. He was a prisoner. The only reason I got to know him was because he didn’t know Basic well, but we could both speak Sy Bisti fluently.”

Another ‘right time, right place’ situation, that he used to consider as ‘wrong time, wrong place’.

“He’s smart. He’s fierce. He’s all the things that should be intimidating, but,” Eli wasn’t sure how to say it right off-hand, but he’d gathered it, “you shouldn’t be afraid of him. Either of you. He wants what’s best for the Empire, and he’s not going to be like, eh…Savit, or any of the other high ranking officers, and crush you beneath his feet or steal your ideas or anything. He wants to see the Empire succeed, so he wants to see the individuals that make it up succeed, in the places best for them to do so. He’s not intimidating, unless you’re his enemy.”

Then, people should be afraid.

Very afraid.

Cora immediately took notice of the different responses in regards to Thrawn’s intimidation. Karyn held a similar opinion of the Chiss as Cora did when they first met, but Eli, less so, to which she was about to question before he answered without prompt.

She never heard of how Thrawn blew up some work or stole away onto an Imperial vessel. She raised her brows, not quite believing what Eli told. If that was true, then it was only that much more impressive that he managed to climb the ranks like he did, as an alien.

The way Eli praised Thrawn had Cora remembering the ways people assumed the two were a thing. The thought crossed her mind for one amused second, but Eli was right. In the way Thrawn studied her presentation earlier, Cora could clearly see that he only wanted what was best for the Empire and the officers in it. He could have easily taken the program away from her and claim it as his own, but instead he offered the tools for her to better it for the Empire’s use.

“How long have you two known each other?” She couldn’t recall when she had first heard about the Grand Admiral or how long ago that was. Maybe shortly after he obtained the rank of Commodore? But given how fast he climbed those ranks, and Eli’s age, she struggled to guess for herself how long they had known one another.

~~

The moment Lin Kiles laid eyes on their Outcast and true Imperator, he gave a sly grin and started a tune, lightly strumming on his hallikset.

Our great dark-haired singer
And the fearsome Admiral of our enemy
Their stars aligned in a shimmer
Oh what shall be their destiny?

He finished with a laugh, setting aside his instrument. “News certainly travel on this planet. The beloved holostar seen alone, how scandalous, with a Grand Admiral of the Galactic Empire.” Lin knew the entire situation should be takin more seriously, but he found himself more amused than anything else when the paparazzi photos started hitting the Holonet.

Of course, many rumor and assumptions accompanied the photos, to which Lin amused himself for an evening reading through the many variations.

“Aside from your supposedly new romantic whirlwind with this Admiral, I trust the mission was a great success?” A mission he knew very few details of, which didn’t bother him. It was for the safety of everyone in Shah-Tezh, and all that mattered for him was knowing everyone was unharmed, and the Empire didn’t learn of their exploits.

Eli didn’t even hesitate to answer, “6 years, 7 months, 22 days,” he was exact. He’d memorized the day Thrawn came into his life and wrecked it entirely.

Faro was startled.

“I celebrate the anniversary,” he said. He mourned it, once upon a time. “I’m also good with dates.” Numbers, math, in general. It was his forte. “We went to the academy together on Coruscant, when I was transferred there to serve as his aide through it,” which was kind of bullshit, but it worked out in the end. “My graduation became dependent on him,” for which he was eternally bitter.

“At least he made it?”

Eli sighed, “Yeah. And he promised he’d become Grand Admiral, too, and he did that,” Eli remembered stating bitterly that Thrawn wouldn’t be able to change anything until he was Grand Admiral, so he had promised to do so as quickly as possible.

Well, he’d done it.

No question about that.

~***~

Amilyn let out a trill of giggles as Lin entered with song, her hands clapping once together as Eira let out an exaggerated groan and their Imperator, R.D., gave Lin an irked look for it. It was not so often that they all came together – especially not in Coruscant, and not at Shay’s station.

It was a miracle the Imperials hadn’t found her station, in truth.

“She’s been seen often enough with Grand Admiral Savit,” Amita reminded.

Maege, fresh from her crate, let out a protest of that – not that it wasn’t true, but that Eira had no feelings for Savit beyond friendship.

Nikhil’s brows rose, “Say it isn’t so, Eira! You’re smitten?”

“Can we stick to the matter of the mission, for once?” Shay interrupted, and Nikhil pouted, “As for Eira’s romantic life, much like Adlai’s, it is of no concern while they remain together.”

“Oh, but should we stifle such blooming romance?” Amilyn pouted but a look from Shay had her purse her own lips together. The pout deepened but she let Shay speak.

“The mission was a success. Saw Gerrera’s forces move today. By tomorrow or Monday, they should have the base taken over, and we may begin to offer further assistance to Kashyyyk in its reclamation.” Shay stated. “Nothing over the table, of course – Amita I need you to once again pester Coruscant’s courts about sentience laws and tests to prove sentience.”

“Wait, Saw wasn’t supposed to move this fast,” Eira interrupted, “You didn’t tell me—”

“This is because of new information,” Shay said, “And why I need you to find out whether or not we want to align with the Organas today, Eira, Adlai, Lin, Amilyn,” she singled them out by name, a reminder that the gallery was a mission, as well. “We are making a mess on Kashyyyk to draw forces from Lothal. Two Jedi were confirmed on Lothal. The Grand Inquisitor was dispatched to Lothal, and Governor Tarkin is soon to be leaving, as well.”

Though many questioned where Shay got her information, no one ever questioned its accuracy.

Adlai looked to Eira, but she kept her face surprised. Knowing she wouldn’t ask, he did, “Which Jedi?”

Shay shook her head, “I don’t have confirmation of names yet, but we have to give them a fighting chance and spread Imperial forces thin. I’m sorry,” she sighed, opening her hands on her lap, white skirt, “I know how this will look, particularly with a Grand Admiral involved.”

“A Grand Admiral who helped to lower defenses on Kashyyyk, Shay.” Eira sounded angry. Eira was angry.

Not expecting an exact number, Cora coughed a bit on her drink. She was not...good with dates. Or numbers, unless in relation to cartography. She was good with computers and their digital languages.

To her, it seemed that someone wanted Eli and Thrawn to fail, given the circumstances of the transfer. For his graduation to be completely dependent on how the Chiss performed? That hardly seemed fair. She couldn’t imagine that many at the Coruscant Academy treated them well, either.

But they made it, and Thrawn kept a promise that seemed quite ambitious at the time, and yet, six-and-a-half years later, he did it. Admirable.

“That’s kind of a shitty situation, but I’m glad it ended up working for you both,” she added in with a small smile. If not, she may not have ended up transferred on the Chimaera, nor would she have met Eli or Karyn.

~~

Lin only reveled in the slight chaos he caused with his impromptu song. If Grand Admiral Thrawn were to make an appearance at the gallery, then he simply would have to have a song ready for them.

Our Eira with a penchant for Grand Admirals. No one can stop me.

The mission had been a success, but it seemed that not everyone was happy with the outcome...And the news of two Jedi? Did Eira know them once upon a time? But having Jedi on their side could be the boost they need.

And having the Grand Inquisitor distracted was nice, even if Lin always assumed Eira was careful.

Lin had settled himself on a chair, legs crossed. “Wait, what? What did the Grand Admiral do?” He felt as if he either missed something, or there was a piece of information missing. “What did he do to lower their defenses?”

“Trust me, so am I,” Eli Vanto laughed a bit, finishing up his drink just as the dessert sampler was brought over. He gave a nod, and a quick word of gratitude to their server, “But that’s really want I mean about Thrawn. He’s good – you shouldn’t need to feel intimidated by him.”

He reached to start serving himself some of the dessert.

Karyn couldn’t help but ask, “So, the two of you…were you ever…intimate?”

Eli was so glad he wasn’t drinking anything right then. He pulled a disgusted face, and quickly smoothed it out, before shaking his head, “No. I’m not interested in Thrawn in that way. And YES I’m aware of the betting pool on the Chimaera and our ship name.”

Karyn couldn’t help it. When Eli mentioned even knowing the ship name, she laughed. “Is Thrawn aware?”

“I…honestly don’t know.”

~***~

R.D. Shay was also surprised by this bit of information, and Eira and Adlai shared a look, before Adlai cleared his throat. “Amilyn informed me the Grand Admiral paid a visit to Eira at the hangar, so I met with Rem and Maege to meet them before they headed off. It served as a good distraction to keep his eyes off our crates.”

Amilyn nodded eagerly.

“Of course, I had to indicate I was worried about her trip – really, as anyone would be, and he made the suggestion of having her under closer watch...which I readily accepted.”

“So it was…a bit easy to move about on Kashyyyk,” Rem said.

Maege voiced her own agreement in a roar, indicating they probably could have smuggled wookiees off with how lax it had seemed.

“I barely needed to shift forms at all,” Rem went on to add.

“Oh dear,” Amita understood, “An attack right after your show is bad enough, but with the Grand Admiral having a hand in lowering defenses…this could look bad for all of us.”

“Also for him.” Adlai pointed out.

“That doesn’t make our situation better. He wasn’t involved. He’ll be looking at us closer.” Eira said, then looked to Shay, “Is there no way to stop this?”

Shay shook her head sadly, “They’ve already moved.”

Cora withheld the desire to laugh at not only Karyn’s question, but Eli’s reaction. She covered her mouth to hide the smile that blossomed, and once she composed herself, she also reached forward for one of the pieces of dessert.

She may or may not have made a bet in that pool once upon a time. But Eli didn’t need to know that.

“Oh kriff, what would he even do if he ever found out about that betting pool?” Cora didn’t know if he was one to be able to take a joke and laugh it off, or if he would want to get to the bottom of who even started the betting pool, and who placed bets in it.

But she could also imagine Thrawn being aware, but simply can’t bring himself to intervene in a bit of harmless fun.

Cora took a bite of the sample she took, and the succulent flavor of chocolate filled her mouth. She savored and swallowed. “Maybe we should alert the betting pool on these results,” she chuckled.

~~

Lin perked up a bit at the news that the Grand Admiral paid Eira a visit the morning of the mission. He thought about teasing her with a line or two, but he could already imagine the glares sent his way by nearly everyone. Time and place.

“Well, shit,” he mumbled with the new information. Yeah, that would look bad, for everyone. “The day this Grand Admiral orders a command for Eira just so happens to be the day when there’s an attack?” He let out a low whistle. “Yeah, that won’t look good for anyone.”

There may not be any immediate proof pointing to Eira, but Thrawn is no fool. He would keep a closer eye on her, and follow her movements and what trail of destruction follows. He would want to make up for the fact that he had allowed this to happen.

“So, be prepared for questions and a need for a distraction?” he pondered out loud. If anything, Lin saw this as a better reason for Thrawn to want to talk to Eira then. Ask her about how her trip went.

Maybe they’ll get lucky, and the situation on Lothal would prove to be enough of a distraction for the Grand Admiral.

“I honestly don’t know,” Eli said. He had a feeling Thrawn wouldn’t even admit to knowing about it, and just shrug it off. It was harmless fun, after all. “But no. I don’t think they’ll believe anything until myself or Thrawn are actually in a relationship.”

“Which we need to work on soon,” Karyn said, wagging her fork at Eli, who flushed.

He was momentarily concerned she might mention he had someone in mind, but she didn’t, covering with, “Once we find someone perfect for you. And who couldn’t like you?” She teased, before looking at Cora, “I’m not expert on men, but he’s a good one, right? Wavy hair, dark eyes, and he has an accent when he gets drunk.”

“Faro!” Eli was now flushed, on top of having wavy hair and dark eyes. Obviously, he’d been working to not have an obvious accent. Being around so many from the Core, constantly, helped. He wasn’t ‘too Core for Core’ like Tarkin, but he was at least not an obvious hick.

“Your accent is cute,” she said, and made a poor attempt at imitating it, “Ya’ll need to settle down, this ain’t no rodeo.” Mostly she got the mannerisms. Not so much the accent.

~***~

Eira kept her gaze on Shay, waiting for her to answer Lin’s question. The lavender skin woman eventually did, “Do not offer up anything. What I know is often…far ahead of what the Imperials know. The attack itself likely will not take place until late morning, early afternoon. It should coincide with the gallery, so the Grand Admiral may not know anything about it until you have all left.”

“But they’re already on Kashyyyk?” Amita asked.

Shay gave a grave nod, “Yes, they are. And so far as I can tell, the Imperials are aware of their presence on Kashyyyk, but of course, the Partisans lost them in the forest,” the planet wouldn’t attack them. That was what the mission was about – giving Saw and the others clear passage. Once they met with the Chief, they would be turning back around to strike, radioing commands to other Partisans that were nearby, or hidden amongst Imperial ranks.

“It will be best if you all act ignorant. None of you should know anything. It should be a surprise.” Her eyes moved around all of them, but paused on Holdo.

Holdo almost looked upset, and she moved a hand over her heart, “I can act surprised. It is a terrible tragedy…so many wookiees freed, so many Imperials slaughtered. Just. Such a tragedy.” She gave a fake sniff, and Adlai groaned.

They knew Amilyn could be a decent actor, but sometimes…well…she was too honest.

Cora felt her heart skip a beat with the attention directed at her. She looked from Eli to Faro, eyes slightly wide at the unexpected question concerning her thoughts towards Eli’s datability.

And it was one she didn’t want to answer, for she was afraid she would allow something more to slip and give away her recent crush on him. The conversation continued before she could give her answer, and Cora rolled with it.

“An accent?” she repeated, looking back at Eli. “I didn’t know you had an accent!” It should have come at no surprise, since he was from Wild Space, and not the Core, but she hadn’t met anyone else from Wild Space before. Cora didn’t know what their accents would be like.

“I hope I get to hear it one day,” she said with a friendly smile. She was sure Karyn did a poor imitation of it, but coming from Eli? She could imagine herself listening to it for hours.

~~

Lin easily nodded to what information Shay gave. So they should proceed as normal at the gallery, and the Grand Admiral shouldn’t expect anything to be up yet. He could act surprise.

He could act many emotions at the drop of a hat.

Lin chuckled easily enough to Holdo’s appearance of seeming innocence. Of course, presenting that kind of act in front of Imperials would either make her seem guilty, or sympathetic only to the wookies’ cause with disdain to the Empire. That, they had to avoid, lest they want to find themselves monitored every second of the day.

He grinned, as a simple verse popped into his head due to Holdo’s obvious sympathy towards the Empire.

Oh how there was a great battle
In the dense forests of Kashyyyk
Between the wookies bound in shackle
And the Empire whose future is bleak

After the short tune, he settled back into his chair, quite clearly pleased with himself. “So, just act normal. We are mere citizens of Coruscant, wishing to partake in an evening celebrating the art of Alderaan.”

Karyn definitely noticed Cora’s evasion.

So, too, did Eli. Even if he was flustered by the commentary of his accent, it gave him some small hope. It also sent several insecure worries through his head. Did Cora not want to answer because she had nothing nice to say? “Y-yeah, I do, but I’ve grown out of it. Mostly.” He answered, wanting to wave that off quickly.

He did not need to speak in an accent, right then and right there. It’d take too much concentration to slip into it anyways, though it came so naturally whenever he was back home and around others who were using it.

The waitress came back, “I hope you’re all enjoying the food,” she said, and Faro gave an agreeable sound, “I just wanted to ask if this was going to be split, or—”

“All together,” Eli said, and then, realizing that might have been a bit unexpected, “It was a last minute idea of mine, so it only feels right. I’ll cover this.”

~***~

Shay gave an exasperated groan at yet another verse, though Holdo applauded enthusiastically. Eira couldn’t quite contain the smile that grew on her lips. There was a reason she got along with Lin, in spite of his dramatics. Or maybe because of them. Of course, she was responsible for most of the people being here, so she tended to like all of them.

“Precisely. Or citizens of wherever,” Shay waved it off. Eira of Mygeeto, Adlai of Serenno, Holdo of Gatalenta. “Meet Breha, meet Leia, and continue the work at finding out of the other rebel cells and if we want to start coordinate more with this cell, while also admiring the art and avoiding trouble.”

“Easy enough,” Eira shrugged, “There will be no reason to speak of Kashyyyk unless Mitth’raw’nuruodo speaks to me or Amilyn about it, and we know nothing of Saw or the Partisans. Right?”

“Mhm.” Holdo agreed with a nod.

“Good. I will expect reports from you four about the Organas afterwards,” her gaze shifted to Eira, “We’re coordinate separately to determine how to proceed with them, and what to do to distract the Empire further from Lothal and the jedis.”

Eira nodded. She wouldn’t speak to having some thoughts on that, not just yet. What she had in mind couldn’t be spoken of with Shay, but Lin, Malvern?

Oh, yes.

Whether emboldened by her second drink, Cora commented as the waitress approached, “Shame, I think accents are cute.” And she knew she wanted to hear Eli’s mysterious accent he seemingly grew out of. It was a pity, for everyone sounded the same in the Core, and something new could be exciting.

She opened her mouth to answer their waitress, that the checks would be separate, but Eli had beat her to it, with a response she did not expect. Her gaze shot over to Eli, eyes widened, as the waitress nodded and walked off to get their bill.

“Oh, you know you don’t have to do this,” Cora protested. Her first thought was to wonder if the cost of the bill would put a significant dent in his credits, unlike hers, but she had to remind herself that if it was a problem, he wouldn’t have offered to begin with.

Of course she wouldn’t have minded if Eli paid for the dinner under different circumstances. Like if it was just the two of them, enjoying each other’s company for an evening.

~~

Lin grinned at Holdo’s applause and took a dramatic bow. Or, as close to one as he could while remaining sitting in his chair. “I am always so glad of my adoring audience,” he said with a wink in Shay’s direction, aware of her current disdain and impatience at his antics.

Someone had to lighten the mood.

Lin nodded along to their assignments for the evening. It was all simple enough. Look pretty, play pleasant music, distract, while attempting to gain information on the Organas. “And I’m sure a certain Grand Admiral can be distracted enough for the evening.” He glanced over at Eira, one brow raised at his tease.

It still didn’t exactly make him comfortable, the situation between Thrawn and Eira. He knew there was nothing going on, nor could there be, not while she and Adlai were a “couple” in the public eye.

But light flirting could still happen. Feelings could develop in the worst ways unknowingly. “Now, anything else we should know?”

‘You wouldn’t think that if you heard it.’ Eli didn’t say that aloud, though, as the waitress had interrupted, but the thought remained with him. He knew how his accent made him sound. Uncivilized. Like a hick. He’d grown out of it when he joined the Empire – though he’d already started on it through his trading.

It still slipped, particularly whenever he went back home, or started to talk to his parents.

Somehow, the protest of Cora was expected, but Eli shrugged. He did feel that he had to. None of them would have had to spend any money that night if he hadn’t changed the plans last minute, “It’s not an issue,” he made enough as a Commander not to be struggling financially, and it wasn’t as if he bought all that much.

His needs were taken care of by the Empire.

Either way, he produced his credit chip and handed it off to be scanned, the credits deducted instantaneously.

“Aww, well thanks!” Karyn said, “I guess next time one of us will have to do the inviting out,” that way Eli wouldn’t be stuck feeling obligated to pay the bill.

~***~

Eira cocked an eyebrow at Lin, then shrugged, “As needed, although I will need to speak with Breha sans the Grand Admiral at some point,” she indicated. Adlai was capable of gathering information on his own, but this was what she was for.

She did a significant amount of the recruitment; really, she was responsible for everyone in that room. If they went with Breha, she would need to speak to the Queen of Alderaan first hand to decide that. All of Amilyn’s praise couldn’t sway her from the need to truly meet her.

“I am sure between myself and Lin, we will find a way to distract the man. Even though I fear I am getting closer to him wanting to murder me with each interaction,” Adlai chuckled.

“Or I can convince him that I absolutely must read his palm! That can take a while. And hold him in a spot,” Amilyn noted.

Shay gave Eira a half-exasperated, half-amused look, before looking to Lin, “No, there is nothing else beyond the norm.” Be safe, don’t draw unnecessary interest, and don’t say anything stupid. “I’ll be in touch with each of you separately later. Maege, Rem, I’ll need your help destroying this place,” she gestured.

It was time to move on.

Usually, group meetings signaled that. The station was never in one place for too long.

Cora didn’t protest any more, as she knew it would be futile as she watched Eli paid for the dinner. “Well, then you will have to let me pay for dinner sometime in the future.” Immediately, her thoughts went to a more intimate meal, shared between her and Eli, but if all three were to end up back at the restaurant, she would offer all the same.

“But yes, thank you.” She smiled at Eli before she finished what remained of her drink. Oh, Cora would definitely want to come back just for their delicious cocktails. “Maybe we can even take turns paying for our nights out,” she offered.

If every theme had similarly priced items, she couldn’t see it hurting their credits that much, as long as they don’t overindulge. “Did we want to stay a bit longer and talk more?” she offered, “Or are we ready to head back to the ship?”

~~

Lin straightened up in his seat, smoothing down invisible wrinkles in his tunic. “Don’t worry, if needed, I can distract this Grand Admiral long enough for you to talk with Breha, if your boyfriend wishes to not risk his life.” He had winked at Adlai at his mention.

He didn’t doubt that the Count inspire some small desire for Thrawn to wish for his demise, if the rumors involving Eira and Thrawn were true. That the two were getting close, and even Eira seemed to enjoy his presence.

None of that could end good.

But Lin would do his job well in assuring that Thrawn wasn’t focused at all on Eira for however long she needed. Or Amilyn would assure the same thing. He would have to go ahead and start thinking of songs about Thrawn soon.

He rose from his seat. “Alright, great talk guys, as always. Maege, it’s always nice to hear your beautiful voice.”

The trio spoke only a little while longer, before they would leave for the night. It would hardly be the last they saw of each other. Eli continued to meet with Cora for lessons, and Faro also hounded her for a few, before the gallery. Eventually, that day did arise, and Eli Vanto could not be talked into going along with it, staying on the ship instead to make sure to oversee security while both Thrawn and Faro were away.

Faro was a nervous wreck, even in the new blue dress, with her hair styled and make-up done. And new shoes – flats, she was already tall enough compared to Eira, and she didn’t need even more height on the other woman.

“Are you sure we’re not overdressed?” Karyn couldn’t help but ask as they came up to the art gallery with a gorgeous fountain outside, the afternoon sun playing on the water and casting about rainbows of light. There were plenty of others around in far more casual attire – or at least, business-casual, rather than all out formal.

Karyn couldn’t help but imagine eyes on her for the wrong reasons as she walked along with Cora.

At least she wouldn’t be alone in that, but she couldn’t quite master the confidence with which Cora walked as they approached the gallery advertising the Alderaan artworks. Music flowed out as they drew closer, no doubt music of Alderaan, and as they stepped in, she did notice quite a few people – some as dressed up as they were, but others not quite.

They were greeted with smiles and spoken to about the gallery, but Karyn hardly heard any of it, glancing around for not a piece of art, but a person.

And she saw her – much to her relief, and then her disappointment – in the company of Queen Breha.

There was no way she could go see her in that sort of company, and her expression fell, taking a look at all of them – the Princess, and another woman closer to their age with striking silver hair. She almost seemed like a Moon Goddess in her dark blue gown.

Faro tried to dismiss that thought quickly.

~***~

“Thank you,” Adlai chuckled.

“It is appreciated,” Eira chimed in as well, for she knew it would be. Lin was, after all, an actor worthy of his position. There was a reason he played their Sith Lord – despite his vivacious nature outside of character, he could definitely get into his roles, much as she could.

It helped in this case, that he understood he was meant to purposefully draw parallels to Palpatine. That he knew Palpatine was a literal Sith Lord.

Maege let out a gentle roar, a teasing note of Lin’s own voice and its pleasant qualities, before they began to break for the day – to prepare for the mission, and to prepare their masks for it. Eira nearly envied Amilyn for needing no mask, in a way. Not as she, Malvern, and Lin did, at least.

There was little time for rest. Eira didn’t plan to wait until evening to go to the gallery, so she only took a couple of hours to sleep when she got back to her apartment, before rising and dressing for the occasion, Malvern on speakerphone as they tried to coordinate attire, somewhat.

At least so far as colors were concerned, they complimented each other when they met that afternoon, dark turquoise hues dominating much of their attire. For once, Adlai Malvern wasn’t in a cape, but his jacket had armorweave lining to it, and the belt he had wrapped around his waist had a ceremonial sword – something nobility did, or so he claimed.

Eira just liked the material of his jacket, it made holding his arm at least pleasant given the softness of the fabric. For her own part, she wore a dress of matching hue, with enough strategic cuts to be almost immodest, but not quite. Her legs were visible with long strides, but not enough of her back or torso were visible to be called indecent.

Their arrival was met with some chatter and greetings, and Eira did take a glance around to locate who was already there, and who wasn’t, suspecting they’d be among the first.

Besides Amilyn, it seemed – who called out to them almost immediately, and ushered them right on over to Breha Organa and Leia Organa.

Amilyn had dyed her hair for the occasion – and wore a brilliant blue dress, with hair nearly silver now. “Queen Breha, these are my friends, Eira Nevan and Count Adlai Malvern,” Amilyn was quick to make the introductions, “Eira, Adlai, these are Queen Breha and Princess Leia Organa, of Alderaan.”

“Yes, we’re acquainted,” Adlai said with a small smile teasing on his lips as he met the Queen’s gaze, before inclining his head.

“It is a pleasure to meet you both at last,” Eira said, letting go of Adlai’s arm to reach for Breha’s hand as she offered it. “Amilyn speaks fondly of you.”

“And she speaks well of you, as well,” Breha agreed, “I am glad she’s found employment with you; I know she rather preferred Coruscant to Gatalenta.”

Cora enjoyed her time as an instructor for both Eli and Faro, although she had wished she could see Eli and his improved dancing skills at the gallery, like she would with Faro. He may also have been able to do a better job at calming Faro than Cora attempted, but with both the Grand Admiral and Faro attending the gallery, she knew he had to stay behind to command the ship in their absence.

Although anyone would be foolish to attack the Chimaera while it was stationed above a planet like Coruscant.

Cora walked alongside Faro, closer in height than normal due to the slight heels she wore to match her pale pink dress, adorned with faded designs of flowers native to Anaxes, and a deep neckline that required the assistance of fashion tape.

“Oh yes, I am quite sure we are appropriately dressed.” Her eyes caught sight of some who were dressed far more casually than they, but as they approached the art gallery, more people were seen dressed to the nines like the two women were. “And besides, you look amazing,” she complimented with a warm smile.

The disappointment from seeing who was in the company of Eira practically radiated off of Faro. “Don’t worry, the night’s only begun. I will personally make sure that you get that dance tonight.” It wasn’t as if Cora saw anyone at the gallery she particularly wanted to dance with, though she wouldn’t decline an offer or two if someone approached her.

“In the meantime, would you like to get something to drink? They may have something similar to what we had at that restaurant,” she offered in hopes that an alcoholic beverage would calm Faro’s nerves down some. Or at least momentarily distract her.

~~

Thrawn indeed had made sure that he sent a follow-up message to Eira the following day after her trip to Kashyyyk. To make sure everything went smoothly. Nothing more. He simply needed to ensure that a high-profile civilian had a safe trip.

And knowing she did, it made the thought of dealing with the politics of the social circles present at the gallery opening all the more pleasant. She would be there, as well as two of his officers, Faro and Suvan. Others would also be in attendance, but he knew many on his ship did not held an appreciation for art quite like he did. A shame, but an expected one.

Not even Eli, but it was no issue for him. After discussing the evening and duties of the ship, Thrawn left Eli in command of the Chimaera while he was on Coruscant for a few hours. After Batonn, I have full confidence that you will be able to command the ship through anything that may happen.

Not quite owning anything ‘formal,’ he dressed in his military formals, uniform freshly pressed and as white as snow, with his freshly polished medals shining in the glimmering lights of the gallery. He was aware of the glances and stares he received. Not only for his outfit, but for the obvious way he stood out from the humans. The popular opinion of aliens in the Core did not escape him, nor did it phase him. They could easily be dealt with if anyone dared to come up to him with a snarky comment or insult.

But despite the array of new art around him to gaze and admire, his sights sought someone he wanted to speak with, and so with his hands clasped behind his back, Thrawn strolled up to where Eira, Adlai, Amilyn – who had changed her hair color? -, as well as the Queen of Alderaan and her daughter stood.

As Grand Admiral, he could simply claim wishing to meet the Queen of the planet showcased in the prestigious art gallery on Coruscant.

But he did wish to know more about their Queen, if not for the rumors that swirled around her, and from what Governor Tarkin had said about it.

“Queen Organa,” he stated clearly, slowing his steps before ultimately halting next to the small group. His eyes had briefly scanned over everyone else before resting on Breha. “It is an honor to finally meet you. I am Grand Admiral Thrawn.”

~~

Skye strolled along the walls of the art gallery, sipping her champagne as steely grey eyes swept over the visitors. She arrived some time after the others had, and everyone was intermingling with one another, some dancing with the atmospheric music provided by the live band, which she would’ve labeled more as a small orchestra.

Never daring to part from it, despite the risk it posed, the hard material of her lightsaber rested on her back, hidden by layers of her outfit for the evening – a dark green two piece, with wide legs and a skirt that blended in and gave off the appearance from afar of a dress.

She only wore dresses on very special occasions, and this would not be one of them.

From a distance, she allowed her gaze to settle on her familiar acquaintances for a few seconds, who were accompanied by a few others, including Queen Organa and Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Skye wouldn’t dare approach with so many standing together. She would wait, or hope that either Eira or Adlai spotted her.

In the meantime, her gaze shifted back to the art she stood next to. How odd, surrounded by such beautiful, valuable pieces, and it’s not even for a job.

Very little could be said in the sitting they were in, this much both Breha and Eira knew. They were both also aware of who the other was – not so far as Breha knowing she was a Jedi, but knowing that Eira was, in fact, a rebel. Amilyn had made that perfectly clear to her, likely with the blessing of Eira.

It was intriguing to Breha, but worrisome as well, given how high-profile Eira was. Not that she wasn’t familiar with such things herself – being a Queen was hardly low-profile – but she did not make a habit of fraternizing with the enemy, as Eira did.

Their discussion moved pleasantly enough, they had walked to one of the depictions of the thranta on the wall – a thranta and its rider, a story of one of Alderaan’s early queens depicted, “…all learn to ride the thranta in our family.”

“I’m going to learn, one day,” Amilyn added, “Leia’s promised to teach me.”

“We’ve no traditions quite like that on Serenno, although…,” Adlai started, paused, frowned. “Well, no, I suppose a tradition of war-beasts don’t count.”

“War-beasts?” Breha’s eyes widened a bit, and Adlai just smiled as he shook his head.

“They’re extinct now. At least, we hope.” He would not elaborate further, his attention caught by the Grand Admiral who approached the group. He easily moved aside to let him into the circle, as Amilyn brightened at the sight of him.

Breha grew no more tense, but met him with an easy smile. Easier than her daughter’s scrutinizing gaze, anyways. “Grand Admiral Thrawn, it is an honor to meet you. You have moved up rapidly through the ranks – no small feat for one such as yourself,” she had no qualms saying it. Bail Organa was as contentious as any in the Senate, as Mon Mothma, and Breha was not known to shy away from their opinions. “This is my daughter, Leia Organa.”

“My friend!” Amilyn offered immediately, “I’ve known her since we met while pathfinding. Have you ever done any pathfinding, Grand Admiral?” It was easy enough to derail the conversation.

Eira considered contributing, but Adlai touched her arm, turned her attention from Thrawn, to Skye. “Oh? Who’s that?” She had to pretend.

“Skye Vind,” he answered, “Your Grace, if you’ll excuse us a moment,” he said, and Breha gave an easy nod, allowing them to depart to greet Skye, as Adlai continued, “She’s the one I’ve mentioned that I am considering hiring on as a bodyguard. I hadn’t thought she had much interest in art….” He’d close the gap between them, “Ms. Vind,” he greeted, “I wonder if I should worry at your presence here, if it means you will be distracted when I have to come to such places – though your attire seems as practical as it is beautiful,” a light tease, an introduction, “I’d like you to meet Eira Nevan.”

~***~

Karyn had flushed under Cora’s compliment, but did feel a little better once they were within. At least there were others dressed up, even if they all seemed so unapproachable. Particularly the one she wanted to approach, who drifted off with royalty to look at the art. Art she must have liked.

Karyn felt a brief pang, knowing she didn’t fit into this world. She almost wanted to tell Cora not to waste her time with it, but wouldn’t. She had still enjoyed being in Eira’s presence, and she wouldn’t be with the Queen all night, right?

‘Maybe Thrawn.’ She was no stranger now to the articles floating about, and she saw the Grand Admiral in white as he approached the group.

“Yes…I think I would like to see what is available to drink,” she agreed. That would help to distract her, and she knew it would also help her to make the decisions that would take her closer to Eira, in the long run. It would make her confident enough to approach again, and then she’d find all her worrying silly.

Eira was friendly – and all she ever heard of Breha was also good, too.

Maybe she could have just approached….

“I think I see a bar set up over there,” she gestured by a woman with short blonde hair. It was a bit past her, down a hall, likely showcasing other sorts of art and cultural bits of Alderaan. Maybe by the time they came back, Eira would be away from the Queen.

Thrawn had caught the tail-end of the conversation as he approached. Something concerning the extinct war-beasts of the Count’s homeworld, Serenno. Despite the Count proving to be more of a nuisance for him with every encounter, Thrawn had yet to research much of Serenno, and so he knew little about these war-beasts he spoke of.

At his approach, The Queen’s stance does not shift, although I am certain her daughter wishes harm upon me. Princess Leia, still in a human’s adolescence stage of development, held a stare that Thrawn was certain would create unease in others. Not him.

Breha spoke, and he nodded at her. “Indeed, it was no small feat.” He was even convinced he would have arrived at the rank sooner if it hadn’t been for the rampant xenophobia in the Empire, but despite his lack of political skills (or because of it), he made friends with powerful people that aided in his appropriate promotions. And Eli Vanto’s, after some further persuasion.

His gaze was quick to flick from Leia, as Breha introduced her, to Amilyn, as she piped up with her expectant outgoing personality. And as he expected, she easily changed the subject with an immediate question.

It was at that moment Eira and Adlai left the group to talk to the woman from the office. There is no such thing as a coincidence. He would continue his conversation, though.

“I have done pathfinding, of sorts.” Would how the Empire ‘found’ him in the beginning count as pathfinding? That thought amused him. “Where were you two pathfinding?”

~~

Although focused on a particular painting, showcasing the grand mountaintops of Alderaan, Skye could sense Eira’s and Adlai’s approach before she heard them. An easy smile crossed her face, and she turned to face them as the space between them narrowed. “It’s so nice to see you again, Count.”

Her eyes sparkled in mirth as she was ‘introduced’ to Eira. “While I admit I do hold an appreciation for the arts,” a slight mischievous tone laced her words, “I have learned to separate work and pleasure.” Her gaze flickered towards Adlai before focusing back on Eira. “And speaking of pleasures, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Eira. I’ve seen your work before, and I must say, you are quite talented.”

She shifted her head back over to Adlai, as something shiny caught her attention. “Is that a sword I see? Are you expecting to run into some pirates?” A smirk crossed her expression at her own personal joke. "I didn't realize there was danger to be had at an art gallery."

~~

Cora laid eyes on the Grand Admiral, and it was then she was happy that Faro agreed to go get a drink with her. Not just for Faro’s sake, averting her gaze from Eira as their boss and the holostar’s boyfriend remain close, but for Cora’s sake as well, to avoid the awkwardness of it all.

One drink never hurt anyone.

She hoped it would help in cheering up Faro, who’s general disposition seemed to dampen somewhat. Deep down, Cora understand the odds of her actually catching the actress’ attention was low, maybe even impossible, but damn, she had to try if she wanted to see her cheerful personality again.

Her head turned in the direction Faro pointed at. “Yes, I think I see it too.” She led them out of the main atrium and down the hall, adorned with more art and the occasional cultural artifact.

In the next room, there was a small bar set-up with groups of people intermingling around it. She maneuvered her way around them to approach the bar, where to bartenders tended to their orders.

One of the bartenders noticed the two women approaching and nodded expectantly at them. “What will it be?”

“Toniray for me,” Cora said before looking over at Faro for her order.

~~

“This is the shuttle of Senator Zelphari. Permission to land?”

“Permission granted in Hangar B-2.”

The shuttle directed into the aforementioned hangar and landed, just as the number of people there slowly increased in anticipation for the arrival of the senator. As the ship touched durasteel, the ramp nearly instantly descended. The first few to walk down were two guards of the senator, and they were followed by a tall, thin woman, draped in the reds and golds of Corellia, with elaborated braided hair the color of snow.

An Imperial officer approached with a slight bow. “Senator Paili Sephari of Corellia, a pleasure to have the honor of your visit.”

The woman slightly frowned and hummed, as she didn’t immediately see what, or who, she was looking for. “I was under the impression that Grand Admiral Thrawn would be here?”

And from what she could see, based on the obvious description of the Imperial, he was no where to be found in the hangar.

Of sorts? Amilyn was certainly intrigued. Leia allowed her own posture to relax, a little, some understanding that she wasn’t getting out of the conversation so easily – and that Amilyn held a vested interest in the Grand Admiral – in mind. Besides, she knew she would have to deal with Imperials here.

It was somewhat the point.

“Oh, many places,” Amilyn said, “Chandrila, Pamarthe, Felucia, Alderaan, Eriadu,” she ticked them off all while looking skyward, drawing them from her memory, “Although Eriadu was disappointing. The Governor refuses to allow pathfinders in the Carrion Plateau.”

“It’s for a reason,” Leia reminded gently, “the dangers of the Carrion give it the name it holds.”

“I think his entire family is exaggerating it,” Amilyn said, “although I suppose I would not be surprised if they weren’t, either. He is a Vornskr,” which meant something to Amilyn that had no meaning at all to Leia, even if she understood it related to astrology.

“Where have you done pathfinding, of sorts?” Leia decided to ask Thrawn, rather than follow-up with Holdo’s statement about Tarkin. She couldn’t quite get the accusation out of her tone, even if she wasn’t accusing him of anything. Well, besides existing as an Imperial.

~***~

Eira’s smile was perfectly unfamiliar, no hint of her knowledge of Skye caught her eyes, even if it was obvious in Skye’s own gaze. “Thank you,” she gave a light inclination of her head at the compliment to her own work.

Adlai glanced down at his sword, and chuckled at Skye’s query, “No, no, nothing of the sort,” he denied, “It’s more for ceremony, even if it is useful. A bit of silent conversation between us nobles,” a lot was spoken with their appearances. His disregarding of a cape was even conscious.

He knew Queen Breha couldn’t announce too much where Imperial loyalists lingered in the ranks of nobility, but his presence with the sword was a silent pledge. His title of ‘Knight’ was not inaccurate with the Shah-tezh in the least. “Pomp and flair,” he added, “but if I disregard traditions I imagine I’d soon find myself outcast like Count Dooku.”

“I thought Serenno had no qualms with him?” Eira arched a brow.

“I concede that we did not…but there is the wider galaxy to consider, and the old houses. We are still working to restore our places among them, and enter into a better dialogue.” Another reason for being here, really. “Don’t worry, I won’t expect you to understand much of any of this,” Adlai said to Skye.

~***~

Karyn moved to the bar with Cora, glad it was quieter here, and of course, that she had a moment to regroup and try to think of what she was going to do to get closer to Eira. The drink might help. It would at least help a little with the courage thing, and her eyes skimmed the menu of its various drinks.

She wanted something new, of course. She had enough toniray at the party.

“Um, the emerald wine?” Faro said.

“Excellent choices,” the waiter said, and took only a minute to return with the blue toniray and the green wine.

Karyn accepted her drink and took a sip. She pulled a face almost immediately. It wasn’t bad, exactly, just…not what she was expecting. It was almost sour.

~***~

Eli Vanto was not enthused to have his command interrupted by the news he had to meet with a senator of Corellia. He didn’t know Corellia for much more than shipyards and crime. The former could be notable for an Admiral, the latter, unlikely – unless they were seeking help.

Nonetheless, Eli agreed to meet Senator Zelphari on Grand Admiral Thrawn’s behalf. The chiss would at least want to know about this.

He could get a feel for things.

He saw her easily enough in the hangar. She stood out with reds and white hair.

He could already feel a headache coming on just for the way she presented herself and demanded to see Thrawn.

“Senator Zelphari, I am Commander Eli Vanto,” he approached, wishing he were taller. “Grand Admiral Thrawn is currently away, but I can speak with you in his stead. Would you like to come with me to my office?” He didn’t much use his office, even when he was datamining, so he at least knew it was clean and sparse.

Shoulders relaxed, lines around her eyes disappearing. The Princess seemed to feel less hostility towards Thrawn, but the Chiss remained alert around her for any sudden changes in her posture that could further hint at her, or even her mother’s, true thoughts and plans.

In the meantime, he would oblige Amilyn’s ever present curiosity. A low chuckle sounded from him as she, and Leia, mentioned Eriadu and the Carrion Plateau with her pathfinding experience.

“Governor Tarkin had told me his own stories of his homeworld, and if they do hold true, which I suspect they do, there is a good reason you are barred from pathfinding in the Carrion Plateau.”

She would make for a tasty snack for the creatures that dwelt there.

The question was directed back at him, by the Pricness nonetheless, and he considered for a moment to tell her of every planet or not. The decision had been quick to come to, for he doubted she would even know of several of them in the Unknown Regions. “In Bachsus,” the planet the Empire had found him on, “as well as some planets in the Unknown Regions.”

~~

Skye couldn’t help but scoff. “Oh you nobles and your silent languages. Everything is way too complex when simple words would suffice.” She understood a bit of the politics behind it, despite what Adlai may have said otherwise, but to hint that she did may lead a slippery slope to her past.

So she smiled and nodded. Even if she wanted to make a snide comment over Count Dooku.

“And it’s no worry. All I need to know is if anyone is approaching you seeking to harm you.” Per her role as a bodyguard. She expected some may be caught off guard by someone like her acting as a bodyguard to a noble, with comments such as her height or her overall petite frame.

But she would, or rather hopefully not, show them soon enough she could protect someone.

“Which, by the way, I hope to not fully demonstrate my skills tonight. We wouldn’t want any actual trouble to strike.” There were enough important, rich, and people of both categories gathered in the same building. It would be an ideal target for an act of violence or terrorism. “But do know that if something were to happen, you would be in great hands.”

~~

Cora had half a thought to warn Faro of the taste of the emerald wine before the woman took a sip, but she was too late, and the woman’s face scrunched at the unexpected taste.

She giggled as she sipped on the toniray. “It’s not quite like the other drinks we’ve had from Alderaan.” Cora hadn’t had the wine in some time, but she did recall it’s surprising taste. It had been hard to forget.

Her gaze circled around the room, but she saw no one of notice, although a man, maybe a year or two younger than herself, chatted excitedly with a small group on the other side of the room.

“I know these types of gatherings may not be your thing,” she started, sipping on her drink to allow words to form in her head, “but I’m glad you came. Shame all of us couldn’t be here.” Cora hadn’t exactly meant to slip those last words out, but she imagined a more lively conversation had Eli been able to join them.

~~

Paili looked down, for looking down she had to do to gaze at the officer who approached her as the commanding officer of the ship. It was an unexpected occurrence that the Grand Admiral was away, for that is exactly who she wanted to speak with, while she was on a mission trip to Coruscant.

Maybe she could learn a thing or two about him from this Commander Eli Vanto.

She let out a sigh. Glancing around, Paili surmised that his offer would be the best bet for the time being, until she could find out more on what the Grand Admiral was doing that evening. “Yes, that will be acceptable.”

The officer didn’t look like someone who could command a ship, nor did he even look old enough to drink the liquor her planet was famed for. In her mind, that was already a strike one for Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Paili gestured for Eli to lead the way, as she would follow closely behind.

Leia arched a brow as Thrawn mentioned hearing stories of the Carrion. “Really?” Perhaps she shouldn’t be so dubious, but she hadn’t heard Tarkin actually tell stories of it. Then again, she wasn’t exactly in Tarkin’s favor, either – but she hadn’t even heard rumor of it. She knew it was considered the ‘Tarkin playground’, and held plenty of beasts.

It was an international preservation, for it preserved Eriadu as it was before humans arrived, supposedly. Leia had her doubts that it was the truth.

“I didn’t realize you were so close with Governor Tarkin. I suppose that explains a few things,” like his quick rise to power. “I don’t know Bachsus, though.”

“I do!” Amilyn did, actually. Of course, her obsession with star systems helped. “It was only recently discovered by the Empire. I recall it, because there was a vote for the name of the planet. I thought that Diones would have suited it much better,” it was a small thing to keep the populace thinking they had a voice in things.

Clever, really.

“Are such ventures normal for Chiss? Pathfinding? Things of that sort very often seem to be a rite of passage in many cultures,” she had noticed it among plenty, Leia and Wilhuff included, although both would deny having such similarities. Even though Amilyn disliked Wilhuff immensely, she at least understood some aspects of culture were shared.

~***~

“Don’t worry, I do not think those sorts will be so subtle,” Adlai said, “though I certainly hope we won’t need to find out soon, either,” he agreed with the thought. He definitely didn’t need any trouble, particularly not after Kashyyyk. Eira was looking at enough trouble for that soon enough as it was. “I do trust your assessment, though I think we will need to schedule a time for you to test yourself with some of my current guards.”

Eira rolled her eyes, and lightly nudged Adlai’s side with her elbow, “Can we not talk work for five minutes?”

He chuckled and offered an apologetic smile, “Sorry, I got ahead of myself. I suppose we are here to relax.”

“Yes, and I wanted to see the sculptures, which are not here.”

“Of course,” he said, “Skye, would you like to join us? If you are not here with anyone else, of course.”

Eira cast a look to Breha. Silent words, indeed – they would have to speak later that evening, when she was not monitoring Leia and Amilyn, and stepping aside to greet a few others who approached, gradually removing herself from Thrawn by being entangled in other guests.

~***~

“No,” Karyn agreed, smiling as she shook her head, “No, it is not,” but it was still good, once the initial shock was over. A second sip proved that, and she determined she could live with this easily enough.

She noted how Cora’s eyes roamed the area, and spoke of someone not there.

Karyn knew who she meant, “Eli is good company,” she agreed, adding the name without asking Cora to specify. “You’ll just have to tell him everything he missed, eh?” She nudged Cora a little, “You do see him a lot for dancing now, after all. Do you really enjoy the dancing all that much, or is it him you enjoy?”

Of course, Cora was teaching her a bit, too – but it was far more worthwhile to tease Cora about this. Eli didn’t have a goal for a particular party, like Karyn did. He was learning to learn…and to spend more time with Cora.

~***~

Eli Vanto didn’t need Thrawn’s magical ability to read people to sense the disdain coming off of the Senator who clearly thought too highly of themselves. They really thought they could make a last minute visitation to the Chimaera and expect to see Thrawn immediately?

She did know Thrawn was a Grand Admiral, right?

‘Politicians think they’re above all military personnel.’ He reminded himself. It was one of the reasons, supposedly, that Tarkin preferred his civilian titles over his military ones.

“This way, please, Senator,” nonetheless, Eli would play polite and invite her along. They’d move through the monotonous halls of the Chimaera, usually a maze to anyone who didn’t understand the efficiency with which Imperial ships were made, to where his office was.

It would be as sparse and unremarkable as the hallways, a metal desk and a few standard chairs. It was clean, but there was little there to suggest the room was used, at all. Eli gestured to a seat all the same, as he moved around the desk and sat down.

Making himself even shorter than her, while she stood. He hated that. “What business do you have with the Seventh Fleet or the Grand Admiral, Senator?”

I suppose that explains a few things. Thrawn didn’t know how to interpret what the Princess said. This is why he still wanted Eli with him at events like this one. Damn politics.

But the subject easily changed with Amilyn’s thought process. She had an ability to jump from subject to subject, with people following her. Maybe with confusion, as Thrawn was, but he accepted it in the moment.

Thrawn nodded to her brief explanation of Bachsus. “That is accurate.” He made no comment on her opinion over the name Diones, nor did he understand why it would have suited the planet better.

He was just happy the Empire finally found the damn planet.

“In a way, pathfinding can be seen as typical for this Chiss of a certain age, depending on what path in life they wish to follow.” Like himself, and following into the Ascendency. “I have always believed that survival skills are important for anyone, regardless of their intended occupation, to learn.”

~~

Skye allowed herself a moment longer to linger on the thought of testing herself against some of Adlai’s current guards. Really, she wanted to imagine the look on their faces when she easily takes them down, or so she hoped.

But upon Eira’s desire to not talk about work, she smiled and nodded. Yes, they were there to relax. But she herself could only relax so much with some of the visitors in attendance.

“Oh no, I’m alone this evening.” Skye followed beside them. “Do either of you visit art galleries often? Or is tonight just a special occasion?” She could imagine the two of them strolling through some gallery, grand like this one, or one of a smaller artist, lightly discussing their own interpretations of various pieces.

She almost wanted to comment on how Eira may be doing more of that in the near future, given the rumors swirling around her and Thrawn, but she decided against that for now.

Maybe if Eira and Thrawn ended up sharing one dance that evening, then she would.

~~

Cora hummed in agreement before she realized Faro’s casual addition of Eli’s name. It wasn’t as if she had attempted to hide who she was talking about, but it still caused her heart to skip a beat. “Yes, he is good company.”

The refreshing taste of the toniray helped to distract Cora from blushing too hard at Faro’s suggestion of telling Eli all about the party, but she had just swallowed that sip with her next statement.

Now, Cora could feel her cheeks redden at the implications in her words. “He’s pleasant company to have around.” Nothing more. Nothing at all. “He’s easy to talk with, and he’s very nice.” Among other adjectives she found herself mentally listing.

The heat in her face did not lessen.

“But it’s just an offer to help him better his dance skills. Like with us,” she defended. Therefore, nothing special was going on.

~~

Paili allowed her gaze to roam around the hallways as they passed. Nothing out of the ordinary in her mind, as she mentally compared them to the other warships she had previously been on. The officers seemed to be focused on their task, only pausing to nod at the two of them.

In her eyes, the room was just as cold as the parts of the ship she saw. She had yet to determine if that worked in the officer’s favor or not.

Paili paused before the offered seat, looking down as if thinking whether or not she wanted to sit. Ultimately she did decide to do so, sitting in the seat after a few second pause. She shrugged and crossed one leg over the other, the fabrics of her clothes shifting.

“I had hoped to be able to obtain an audience with our new Grand Admiral, while we were both in the Coruscant sector.” But luck wasn’t on her side. “I had hoped to have been able to meet the...” She certainly couldn’t call him a ‘man,’ for he was not, “alien I had heard so much about.”

There was no venom in how she addressed Thrawn. Just simple fact.

“Although,” she continued, “it is because of these stories that I had wanted to talk to him about a growing problem back on Corellia.”

On this much, Amilyn and Leia agreed with Thrawn. Amilyn clasped her hands together as she nodded, “Yes – facing down death is certainly thrilling, and overcoming its inevitability, for a time.”

Leia had called Amilyn out on being morbid before, but she saw no need of it now. She just allowed a small smile to touch her lips, “It is common enough among plenty here. One never knows when a ship may crash, or where. Being prepared to survive for a while in unknown locations is considered useful to us, as well. I suspect it is mostly among the elites of your home?”

Those destined for political or military careers. As Thrawn seemed to have taken on both, being the sole representative for the Chiss in the galaxy. Certainly, he understood the political weight of that.

Even if rumors suggested he was…inept. Leia wouldn’t say that. Not in the least. Perhaps he didn’t have the tact certain snakes in the senate had, but his actions spoke far louder than any words could have.

He gave the Emperor what he wanted: domination of the galaxy.

“Oh! I didn’t even consider he may be elite. Are you a prince where you come from? Noble?” Amilyn followed-up.

~***~

The trio left the atrium to move further into the gallery, out of sight of Thrawn, Breha, and the others, and into the area with the sculptures. Alderaanian art more often reflected Alderaan itself, and the sculptures were no different, capturing historical figures or images of the creatures that resided. Much of it was with white synthstone, and painted – or decorated – with natural stones and material of Alderaan.

There was little imported for their artwork, for their art was always meant to be as unobtrusive with the environment as possible. The aesthetic had been to blend rather than to stand out – but the way roses blended in a rosebush. Beautifully.

Adlai answered Skye’s query, “It depends,” he offered, “sometimes our schedules do not permit it, or sometimes the showings just do not interest us,” there was much for them to see and do, “Generally speaking, we prefer historical museums to art ones,” he’d admit that much. When it came to where they’d be seen, they took to history over art.

This was because of Thrawn, and he knew it, but wouldn’t say that aloud.

Eira was already stepping away from him to examine a something even he found intriguing – a translucent sculpture of a bird, wings spread wide, with nature caught inside it – likely resin or some other sort of thing, but it gave the impression of the bird being made up of it all – clouds at its head and flowery grasslands up to its wings. “Now that’s new,” he admitted to himself, before taking note that there seemed to be a few other resin-sculptures in the area. “I don’t suppose you know much about Alderaanian art?” Adlai asked Skye.

~***~

Cora didn’t disagree. Karyn was almost proud with her lack of defensiveness, but also disappointed. It didn’t help her with finding out about what Cora felt for Eli, beyond that she agreed that he was good company. Which she repeated. And indicated the dancing was just to help him. “I know, I know – except it’s not for anything in particular. I guess the sparring isn’t, either.”

Just so Cora could learn to defend herself a bit better.

Karyn lightly touched her elbow so they could walk back towards the atrium, check in on things, and perhaps actually move about the gallery and see if there was anything eye-catching besides Eira.

“Have you been getting better at sparring?” Karyn asked, wondering if she thought much about that part, or if she more looked forward to when she would see Eli for it.

~***~

‘To meet the alien.’

While the statement of the Senator wasn’t precisely wrong, Eli Vanto hated her immediately for it. ‘Deep breath.’ He told himself and took one in slowly, but his expression already revealed his distaste as she prattled on about wanting to see the Grand Admiral.

“We’ve already established that you wanted to meet the Grand Admiral, and that the Grand Admiral isn’t here. If you intend to waste my time with complaints of his absence, I can see you back to your ship and inform him of your desire when he returns.” Eli snapped.

And he’d be certain to explain how the Senator of Corellia had addressed Thrawn, and exactly how she’d spent her time, while recommending Thrawn force the woman to move her complaints through the proper channels in the Senate. “Now, you can decide how much I have to tell him, or how little.”

Eli had to bite his tongue on mentioning that Thrawn was doing something for the Grand Moff. Resisted the urge to namedrop Tarkin. He couldn’t have rumors spreading, and from what he gathered, Thrawn’s mission from Tarkin wasn’t exactly something to drop even as a casual reminder of someone’s place.

It was discerning for someone with such a cheerful disposition as Amilyn to also hold such a morbid view. For Thrawn, it proved to be...unexpected. A fact he did not like. Would he have to ask Eli for help in dissecting the thoughts of Amilyn Holdo?

He did want to laugh at her question of his nobility. If he was a ‘prince.’ “No, I am not a prince, for we do not have those same nobility titles as one may find in the Core. We do have what you may call a class of oligarchy, although our government is much more complex than that.”

But those of the Aristocra families ruled the upper echelons of the Chiss Ascendency, so by its basic definition, they were an oligarchy.

“Referring back to your question,” he looked back at Leia, casually skipping over her actual question of whether or not he was a noble, “anyone has the ability to test their skills in locations far from civilization, and many certainly have. Not just the nobility.”

~~

The various sculptures immediately took hold of Skye’s attention. Half of her instantly tried to calculate the value of such pieces, created and decorated with a mixture of synthstone and natural stones native to Alderaan, while the other half admired the artistry in many of the pieces. The sheet talent to make stone look real.

Adlai’s voice pulled her mind back to the group. “Somehow, I can see you browsing a historical museum over an art one. Maybe it’s the sword.” She grinned at her own joke. In actuality, Skye had surmised that he preferred historical museums given his position. It aided politicians to know history

The same sculpture that caught Eira’s attention, then Adlai’s, likewise caught her own. Skye paused, taking in the little details and the artistry behind the piece. The presence of nature built within. “Many of their subject matter concerns the landscapes and nature of Alderaan, and even the material used come from their surroundings, such as canvases for paintings can be made from the fibers of the chinar or conifer trees.”

Skye had spouted the information she knew with little thought, as she recalled it. But she paused, and seemingly remembered where she was, who she was with. “But I don’t really know that much at all. What about yourself?”

~~

Cora shrugged. “Nothing in particular. I help him with a skill, and he helps me. A mutual benefit.” One which puts them both physically close together, bodies touching.

And with one instant during sparring, his body pinning hers down. The flash of that memory did not help alleviate the red in her cheeks.

She easily followed alongside Karyn back towards the atrium. More people now lingered in the hallway connecting the two rooms, as more guests arrived at the gallery. Some Cora felt she may have seen before, at some other party, but no one she actually knew.

“Oh yes, I think I have gotten better. Eli’s been a great tutor, and very patient.” And she with him, as they both practiced moves and maneuvers repeatedly until it was down. “Do you spar much?”

~~

Paili immediately sensed the displeasure and discontent radiating from Eli, before he could even snap at her. She lifted her chin, and with his biting words, she cocked one eyebrow. Her own facade remained calm and collected. He is deeply attached to the Grand Admiral. So he inspires great loyalty from his officers.

If accurate in her deductions, then Paili already held some respect for Thrawn, although she felt as if his commander needed better training. Like a puppy.

A moment after Eli finished, the senator started. “Given recent events and the actions of Grand Admiral Thrawn, I figured the bit of information I had to bring him would be of interest. There has been a rise in this resistance movement on Corellia. Started out as irritating vandalism throughout the planet, it has now evolved into organized cells, false propaganda through various media forms, and recently, they have conducted strikes against the Corellian government and against the Empire.”

Her hands folded in her lap. “I hope that is not a waste of your time.”

There were no princes and princesses among the Chiss, nor noble titles as Amilyn would know them. However, there was an oligarchy. More complicated, ‘Like your name.’ She wondered if the Chiss simply overcomplicated everything. It was a curiosity, but Thrawn didn’t answer about his own place among them.

Instead, he spoke to Leia, and she arched a brow at him. “Really now? Because that’s how Alderaan is,” that much was true. Education was free, and much else besides. Alderaan supported her people, as best they could, by opening up all sorts of opportunities to them.

They even took in refugees. Leia had brought some herself, hired them on as crew of her ship to take them away from a planet where the Empire reigned – where they were starving, when they wouldn’t let Leia just take anyone besides her crew.

They really hadn’t expected that from her. “I suppose that isn’t something you’re a fan of, then,” she folded her arms over her chest, “Given you support an Empire that actively discourages advancement among others to the point of reducing some to slave classes.”

If Breha had been near enough to hear that from her daughter, she might have interrupted. As it was, she was distracted by another, some steps away. Amilyn was there to hear, though, but this time, she didn’t interject. This was a curiosity to her, as well – Eira told her to remember that individuals were good, individuals wanted different things, so it was time to see what Thrawn thought of the Empire he served on this matter.

~***~

Adlai could only offer a smile and a shrug. He didn’t think it a bad thing that it was obvious he’d be more interested in history. Given Serenno’s own history, it almost seemed necessary that he take an active interest in how things were, and how things could be. History gave him insight into it, but even then, he knew he could be a better student.

And Skye certainly knew more than he anticipated. His brows lifted in surprise, before he laughed as she turned it on him, “Nothing at all,” he had no troubles admitting that, as he approached Eira.

Eira was reading over the information on the sculpture. “What is it?” He asked.

“It’s meant to be a nightswan,” Eira answered, “the material – the exterior – is resin from the ak tree which has been found to preserve fossils and much else, before artists found they could use it in molds and hasten its hardening.” Her eyes never lifted from the plaque, “it’s a relatively new art form.”

~***~

Despite how the conversation carried on, Karyn noticed that Cora’s blush remained. That had to be a good sign, right? Apparently, thinking of those interactions with Eli brought about the flush. Did she blush so easily with him?

Karyn couldn’t ask that, of Cora, but she’d have to ask Eli.

As they stepped into the atrium, she noticed that Thrawn was still there, but no more Eira. Thrawn was with the Moon Goddess, and Karyn flushed as that thought came again so easily. However, if Eira wasn’t there, that meant she was free! And not with royalty! They’d just have to figure out where she was….

Karyn kept them walking. And kept listening, even if her hopes had briefly distracted her. “No – I don’t really like sparring,” Karyn answered. She probably should hone the skill, but she was meant to be in the air. She could use a blaster if trouble occurred. “I prefer to just use the weights and machines to stay in shape, honestly.”

~***~

‘It is a waste of my time.’

Eli didn’t say that, but he did sigh. What was he supposed to do about that? What were they supposed to do about that? They were stationed above Coruscant for the next three months at the behest of Wilhuff Tarkin.

Should he mention Lothal?

No, he should probably not mention Lothal or suggest that her problem was one of many. He couldn’t have the Empire looking bad. “I understand why you came, and if the Grand Admiral were not stationed at Coruscant, I am certain we would be considered for aiding Corellia. As it stands, I am not sure what you’re expecting from the Seventh Fleet at this time, and it seems like this is an urgent matter that should be passed through the Senate to acquire the aid that Corellia needs.”

They couldn’t just go off and help Corellia. There were other fleets out there that could handle a small insurrection on Corellia.

Well, if it was taken seriously. Given that criminal activity seemed almost standard on Corellia, he did wonder about that.

Thrawn respected Leia’s boldness and curiosity. Other Imperials might have scolded her and demanded her to keep quiet, know her place, but Thrawn didn’t. Every word that came out of her mouth, every twitch of a muscle, only helped him to learn more about the spirited princess who was obviously not afraid to stand up to an Imperial officer.

With the roundness of her cheeks and the below-average height of a normal female human, he wondered if she had even reached adulthood yet. That would explain her emboldened questions, for children tended to have no filters on their words.

He was amused by her accusations. “The actions of the Empire do not represent the opinions of every officer or soldier employed in its ranks, just as I assume that your mother does not represent the opinions of every Alderaan citizen.”

He shifted his hands to clasp behind his back. “Please, what else do you believe that the Empire is doing?”

~~

Skye’s attention had turned back on the nightswan sculpture as she listened to Eira talk about it. “Fascinating,” she muttered. “I had heard of this resin used as an art medium before, but I’ve never actually seen it in practice.”

While what she had seen of the gallery so far suggests that many artists preferred to keep to old methods, several of the sculptures suggested a rising interest in experimentation with different techniques, which Skye could appreciate.

“What do you know of nightswans?” she directed at Eira, but left it so that Adlai could answer as well. “I admit, my knowledge of creatures is lacking, so I was just curious to know if this bird holds any symbolic importance on Alderaan.”

~~

Cora similarly noticed that Eira was not with Thrawn, nor with the Queen of Alderaan. This would be Faro’s perfect opportunity to ask the woman for a dance, but first, they had to find her, for Cora couldn’t see any sign of her in the main atrium.

“Oh yeah? That’s what I normally use too, but I figured it would be best to be prepared for anything.” Such as, what if she found herself on a planet and attacked, somehow without her blaster? She didn’t want to be completely helpless and a danger to any allies around her.

A thing of beauty is lovely youth
Let those who seek, find joy today

The sudden interruption came from behind Cora and Karyn, and the former turned around to see who made the tune. A young man with a mop of curly hair stood a few steps behind them, mischief twinkling in his eyes. She lifted one eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

“I just couldn’t help but to notice the ethereal beauty of you two,” Lin said with a dramatic wave of his arms.

~~

Paili scoffed at the suggestion. “The Senate has been quite ineffective as of recent.” Even she, a Senator, could admit that. Too often she had to yell to get her voice heard in the chaos, and even that didn’t promise any results.

She would blame the Empire’s handling of politics, but not in front of an officer.

She wanted to further share her concerns with the future of this cluster of rebel cells, should they succeed. It was why she wanted to talk with the Grand Admiral, someone she heard promising rumors about his tactical skills and prior experience with insurgents.

“I had been hoping to discuss more of a plan of action, whether a plan for what the Corellian government could feasibly accomplish, or more physical support in troops, but I guess as the Grand Admiral’s...assistant? Nothing could get done.” Paili rose from her seat, but she did not make a move towards the door yet. She glanced down at him, facade expressionless.

Leia could tell that Thrawn’s mood had shifted, becoming amused. She considered it mockery almost at once, and would have been loathed to know that he considered she might be so much younger than she was.

It didn’t go over her head that he evaded answering on his opinion of the matter. Only that he asked what she believed the Empire was doing. Leia’s eyes narrowed, “Maybe you should go on a few humanitarian missions and you won’t have to ask me what I believe they’re doing,” Leia snapped, “You’ll know. But I believe they’re very good at avoiding straight answers,” she was looking him dead in the eye, unflinching under the glow of his crimson gaze, “and they like to blame it all on their higher-ups, rather than take any responsibility for their part in it.”

And then she put on that sweet, innocent little girl’s smile, “But I suppose I wouldn’t have any real idea, would I?” It was possible Thrawn knew that she was a pain to many. Possible he knew of how many ships got stolen from her, and how she’d made the Empire recoup every single one of them, and how she’d continued to cause harm and delays through governance and red tape bureaucracy, but it was more likely he didn’t.

Such was beneath his notice. “If you’ll excuse me, Grand Admiral, I think there are a few others I need to see.” She gave Amilyn a pointed look but Amilyn didn’t move, so Leia left her to return to Breha – and be shunted off in another direction.

Amilyn would not stay long, just enough to say, “I’m sorry for Leia,” adding, “She lost her boyfriend not long ago and she’s still grieving and sore. It was in a clash of starships. She blames the Empire but it wasn’t anyone’s fault…,” what she said was true, at least, so far as Leia recently losing her first love. After learning he was a traitor, as well. Amilyn had been there, not all that long ago. All of those events had moved her to join the cause, “But maybe you could learn more about what she’s seen from Eira. They both do a lot of humanitarian missions. Isn’t it strange how the galaxy requires so many?”

There wouldn’t be time to let him speak to that, before Amilyn seemed to float away, to join Leia’s side.

~***~

“All nocturnal animals hold special meaning on Alderaan,” Eira answered, straightening up a bit after reading the plaque. She knew of another nightswan, but wouldn’t yet mark this as ‘1’. Perhaps if she’d seen a resin dragon, she might have wanted to leave the gallery and meditate on what the Force was trying to show her, but a nightswan?

No. Right now, mere coincidence.

“Alderaan has no moon, and so they have few creatures that are truly nocturnal. I…I was a little obsessed with the thranta,” she laughed a bit, to explain her knowledge. Skye would know why, “which are native of Alderaan, and so I learned a bit of the nightswan and other avians. The nightswan only sings at night. It’s also the cause for the term swan song.”

A last song.

A heroic end. “They say it sings once more before its death, night or day, and the loveliest of songs. There’s even a ballet around the creature,” she realized she’d spoken a bit much then, and quickly shook her head, dismissing the topic. Had she been younger, or spent more time with ballet, she would have considered it – but for all her dance training and grace, she knew she couldn’t compete with the star ballerinas of their age. Not by a longshot. It was a show she wanted to see, discussing matters of reflections and dark halves.

For a ballet, it was rather deep. She might find her way into the orchestra of it, one day.

“Quite a bit more than I knew,” Adlai admitted, “I just recall the criminal who ran around under the name of Nightswan for a while,” before he was dealt with – his song heralding the rise of Thrawn. “Why the thranta?” He honestly didn’t know.

And Eira couldn’t tell him, not here. “They’re giant avians you can ride! It’s a way to fly in the atmosphere and actually feel the wind – it intrigued me when I was young.” Not a full lie…but not the truth.

~***~

Karyn had been focused on what Cora was saying, looking for ways to tease or prod about Eli Vanto, when she jolted at the sound of another voice seeming to serenade them. She turned around and gaped as she saw Lin Kiles.

Lin Kiles, who Cora Suvan seemed to fail to recognize. How did she not know him?!

Karyn found herself starstruck again, and blushed a deep crimson at his compliment to the both of them. “T-t-thank you,” she stuttered out, before realizing another thing. He was going to be in the play with Eira, along with a few others, including one of Eira’s exes. She didn’t recall his role, but she seized on that for a moment of strength – and pretended the wine had kicked in.

“You’re Lin Kiles, aren’t you? You’re—you’re acting in the Cantata of Cora Vessora with Eira? Not that you aren’t – I don’t mean to diminish—help.” The help wasn’t meant to be spoken but it still came out half-squeaked as she realized she was rambling and trying to apologize for an apparent lack of interest in Lin himself.

One day, she made a promise to herself, she was going to get over all these jitters and nerves and be a badass, more than Eli could be. That day was not today.

~***~

The Senator wanted ideas for how the Corellian Government or military could deal with the situation. That was well and good, and Eli Vanto assumed Thrawn could find time to teach others how to play at warfare to deal with rebels.

And then Paili went and decided, once more, he’d be of no use.

The smile he put on his face was almost vicious. “You’re absolutely right, Senator.” He had no time for these stupid games and challenges, and he got to his feet and walked around to offer his arm to her, as he hadn’t done before.

Bite me.’ He was reminded terribly of Pryce in the moment. He hadn’t interacted much with her, but any annoying politician made him think of her. Particularly those inclined to play competitive games. “I can at least see you back to your ship, and I will be sure to let the Grand Admiral know you were here, so he can attend to this very serious matter as soon as his schedule allows.”

If Eli Vanto had ever wanted to do things for politics, or rank, he knew he would have just burned about five bridges in this interaction alone.

Thankfully, he’d long gotten over that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back