• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Karyn had little doubt the green would turn more heads. It showed off more of her flesh than usual. She wasn’t sure if that would be a good thing with Eira or not, but she nodded along. “Blue, then,” blue was a color she’d always been told she looked good in, and it still offered a bit of a tease, didn’t it?

Well, she’d have to hope. And Eira had seemed a bit classier, anyways. She didn’t need to appear desperate in the green dress, right? ‘You’re overthinking it.’ Probably. “What about – what sort of make-up do you think would go well with that? Or jewelry, or…I don’t own shoes for this.”

She groaned. She’d probably be able to get a cheap pair of black heels that would suffice on Coruscant, but the thought of all she might need to pull off the dress was suddenly overwhelming. “I’ll get out of this,” she said, and went to retreat to the washroom to get back into her uniform.

One step at a time. She had a dress. The rest would come together.

~***~

Eli had a feeling he should have known it was Eira. ‘Of course.’ He managed to keep his face stoic. At least, he thought he did, but he did bite the inside of his cheek. He did shift his weight. He wasn’t absent tics of his thoughts. “Exceptions do exist – and an exception would usually make something of themselves, right?”

Though Thrawn might want to know how one became an exception, what it was that pushed them to it, that wasn’t found in their own culture. Eli could agree with that. “Why are you looking into Eira?”

He considered lightening it, and did, “You know Officer Faro has a crush on her, right?” He allowed, “Are you concerned for her?” It was a light tease, but he had to make it anyways, curious for Thrawn’s reaction.

Curious, of course, for the truth as well.

~***~

Ae’lia laughed, “There’s nothing to steal, dear. If you like him, and he likes you, I wish you both the best,” she said it so easily. Of course, she and Adlai knew they’d have to break up at some point. Whether that would be now, for Hala, or later, was another matter – but eventually, too many questions would arise about marriage and children, and she knew Adlai wanted children.

Knew he wanted to start a family, one day.

He should be able to. She could find other shields.

“I do understand. You’ve hardly had much time to sleep on it and think it over,” Ae’lia wouldn’t pressure Hala for an answer, then and there, “and we will try not to involve you in much outside of your official duties.”

Adlai’s life with the Shah-tezh had to remain separate, even if Hala may end up along with him for some missions – for image, if nothing else.

Cora could tell Faro was stressing over the entire thing, when there was nothing to be stressed about. “It’s okay, calm down, we can figure everything out.” She stood from the bed and walked over to the woman to lightly place a comforting hand on her shoulder.

The woman went back into the washroom to put her uniform back on, and Cora patiently waited, remaining on her feet the entire time. When Faro came back out, she would offer some help that she hoped would ease the woman. “I can easily help you with the makeup. I have plenty of experience in that field,” she offered with a small chuckle.

But the shoes may be trickier. “I don’t know if you’re my size, but if you are, you can borrow some of mine. I don’t mind. If you’re not, I can help you pick out a pair if you want the help?” Cora didn’t consider that the woman may not have that many credits to splurge on shoes she would wear once.

“Don’t worry, I will make sure you look amazing.”

~~

Thrawn observed the way Eli moved in that instance. The twitch of his cheek. Shifting of his weight. He had thoughts he wanted to say, but didn’t. Thrawn suspected they were all about the identity reveal of whom he had talked to on Coruscant. This didn’t surprise Thrawn in the least.

“You are not wrong.” An exception would often make something of themselves, but the how and the why weighed on his mind. He needed to know more. And why she associated herself with someone like Count Malvern, a known prior Separatist who often insisted the annoyance of the Empire.

He considered the ways he could answer Eli’s question, but then he asked the second one, which proved to be much more interesting. Thrawn raised an eyebrow. “Oh? That does not surprise me, considering the two had danced last night.” And he never got that dance. Not that it annoyed him. “If there is something to be concerned about, then I will let her know.”

~~

Hala grinned and nodded. Of course, all of that relied on the idea that Adlai liked her in return, and wasn’t doing this out of the goodness of his heart. And to keep a piece of the past near Ae’lia. But she would think about that more later, after she had further interactions with Adlai.

“But if I do decide to stay, and you need help with anything, don’t hesitate to let me know.” If it was something that could help them against the Empire...Hala would be more than happy to offer her assistance, even if it meant danger for her.

Although she felt some trepidation in involving herself in something that could expose herself, she slowly realized she couldn’t live her life on the run, as some minor pirate around the less savory parts of the galaxy. Hala had the means to help, and she needed to. It may be her only chance at ever living a normal life.

As soon as she had come out with the three dresses draped over an arm, Cora greeted her once more with warmth, and offers. Karyn’s lips flickered in a quick smile, before hesitation stole over her, and then she stepped forward and threw one arm around Cora’s shoulders.

“Thank you!”

Karyn couldn’t believe how much Cora was willing to help her already. They’d just met, and already she was promising to help her with make-up and shoes! Eli really did know how to find good people in the Empire. “I think your feet are a bit smaller than mine,” she said, after hastily parting, “but if you could help me find something tomorrow, I’d really, really owe you."

She owed her for the dress.

For the make-up.

“Seriously, any way I can make this up to you, just let me know.”

~***~

Thrawn didn’t answer the real question. His attention went to Karyn, and though he claimed it was not a surprise, the lift of an eyebrow at least hinted that it wasn’t much of a thought that Thrawn had in his mind. “Good,” Eli would at least offer that much to Thrawn’s comment on letting Karyn know of anything amiss. “But that doesn’t answer why you’re so interested in her.”

An actress from Mygeeto who didn’t fit the norm wasn’t enough.

There was more to it. “Since it obviously isn’t to look out for Faro’s heart, there must be another reason. So, what is it?” he said, arms unfolding as he gestured to either side, “You know I’ll help, whatever it is. And these things usually go better if I know.” He was tempted to mention Pryce, and how badly all of that had gone.

He’d been out of the loop for much of it, too. But he wouldn’t do that to Thrawn. Not yet, anyways.

~***~

Ae’lia inclined her head, “I will keep your offer in mind,” although Ae’lia did not intend to need any help outside of her group. So far, she had seen it run fairly well, and adding anyone to it would require a conversation with the Imperatrix. Really, all of the pieces were taken.

At least, for one side of the game.

“And you have my aid, regardless. Just reach out to me,” she had the means to help. She had ways to help. It would be done without a second thought. Ae’lia wasn’t running a group that would easily sacrifice one another, and she didn’t intend to be that person, either.

That was how the Empire did things. She wouldn’t.

“I believe that I should let you go to get things sorted, though, shouldn’t I?”

Cora tensed at the unexpected half-hug, but she quickly relaxed and returned the hug. “Don’t mention it.” Would it have been sad to say that she was happy to help out Faro because she really wanted someone she could call a friend to talk to?

Of course it would be sad, Cora. Nearly pathetic.

“It’s no trouble at all, really. Just be sure to ask Eira for another dance.” She winked. There was the issue concerning her boyfriend, the Count, and maybe even Thrawn, who appeared to hold some interest in the holostar, but Cora would make sure Eira got at least once dance. "That is my one stipulation."

~~

Thrawn frowned as Eli recognized that he skipped over the question and didn’t hesitate to go back to the subject. He sighed, and nodded. Eli was right. He has proved himself a valuable asset in the past, a quality of his Thrawn recognized from the very beginning.

Eli Vanto was much smarter and more aware than other Imperials like to think. He supposed it had to do with the preconceived Core bias against everyone else.

“I believe there’s more to her than just her acting occupation.” Something deep in his gut twisted as he spoke, and Thrawn ignored it. “She had mentioned she initially wanted to be a humanitarian of sorts, and before the Clone Wars,

she had been friends with some Wookies.” There was a light pause. Did she leave Mygeeto at an early age, allowing her to meet these Wookies? He didn’t think they themselves would willingly travel to the snowy planet.

“And of course, there’s her relationship with Count Malvern, someone who had been quite a nuisance to the Empire before due to his...outspoken nature.” Which Eira did talk about in their outing, but it hadn’t quite placated him.

~~

“I will, no worries. Though I hope I can also reach out if I just want someone to talk to?” Someone who understands and knows everything was her silent addition. Stars, how long had it been since Hala had someone she could confide in?

Not since she lived at the Jedi Temple.

Hala shrugged and took a step back. “There’s not much for me to sort right now, not until I’ve made my final decision. I’m just sort of...filling time. I suppose you have things you need to get done though?” Ae’lia had mentioned earlier she had other things to do that day, while Hala was completely free. A stark contrast in how they were living their lives.

She didn’t even know what she would do after their meeting. Maybe find a quiet spot to relax and contemplate over everything that happened.

Truth be told, Hala didn’t want to leave quite yet, but Ae’lia actually created a life for herself. She had other plans, while Hala didn’t.

Faro blushed deeply at the stipulation. Sure, she wanted another dance, but was a gallery even some place that happened? Faro didn’t know, but nonetheless, she nodded. “Okay. I’ll figure it out.” If nothing else, she had a reason besides wanting to do it. Now she had to do it.

“Is it okay if I hold onto the blue dress until then? Or should I leave that here?”

Karyn considered she might have to show up there the day of the gallery anyways for help with the make-up aspect. Maybe hair. Everything. Cora was far too generous already. It wouldn’t bother her either way, but there was a part of her mind that wanted to make sure she held onto it, so she knew it was there, and would be ready for her when the day came – if she somehow missed meeting up with Cora entirely that morning before the gallery.

At least she’d have the dress.

~***~

Thrawn circled back to the point, thankfully. Eli didn’t have to try and pull it out of him. Again, his arms folded over his chest as he took in what Thrawn was saying. He was concerned about Eira’s activities – or potential activities.

Concerned that her difference from Mygeeto may make her dangerous.

“You know that Mygeeto and Serenno were both separatist worlds, right? She probably has a few of the same opinions as the Count, even if she generally supports the Empire,” Eli mentioned. He didn’t really know her political views, and admittedly, wasn’t interested in learning celebrity views, even if they had potential to damage the Empire. "Not to mention, there were a lot of people who had wookiee friends, before...," well, before they were deemed non-sentient, which was bullshit.

Eira hadn’t made any indication to the public that she stood against the Empire, even for Kashyyyk reasons. “Do you think she’s a traitor to the Empire?” He asked it plainly. Thrawn may only have a gut feeling right now, but more often than not, it was right.

If so, Faro’s heart was indeed in danger.

~***~

“Yes. Of course you can,” Ae’lia would never deny Hala that. After all, her own isolation had made her reach out to Hala when it was dangerous to do so. Risky. She understood that deep need not to feel alone. To have someone that understood. “I may not always be able to do so immediately, but we can work out times.”

Because it was true.

Eira had another life that needed tending to. Multiple lives, and Ae’lia wasn’t often one of them.

Cora Vessora would be a life. The Outcast was a life. Eira Nevan was a life. She had too many, sometimes, but she knew how to balance it. “I’m sure someone would be telling you to meditate on the decision for a bit,” she allowed a touch of a smile, “but yes, I do have other matters for today, I’m afraid.”

She had to return to the Imperator.

She also did have to finish reading the changes to the script so she was prepared for that practice.

Cora grinned at the obvious blush blooming across Faro’s cheeks, but she wouldn’t tease the woman any further. Instead, she nodded in response to her question. “You can keep the dress until then. It’s only a few days.” It’s not like she would need the dress herself before then.

“I haven’t even considered what I would wear yet.” She knew she decided on attending as well. Eli was going, right? Not that it mattered, nor did it change anything in how she wanted to present herself at the gallery opening. Not at all.

But she did want to look nice. Maybe just for a certain officer, or maybe for the entire event that promised to host many important people of at least Coruscant. Cora turned towards her closet with her face scrunched in a contemplative expression. “Or maybe I’ll just think about it later,” she added with a casual shrug.

~~

Eli did have a point. Mygeeto and Serenno were both once separatist worlds, which no doubt lingered on the people born and raised on those planets. The situation could very well be as simple as that, and nothing more.

Still, that didn’t stop the lingering thought that there was something more to the entire situation.

“I’m not sure,” he admitted. “I do believe a closer watch needs to be kept on both of them, for I do not think we know the entire situation just yet. “Not to mention, Governor Tarkin believes something more is going on as well.” Enough so that he wanted Thrawn to learn more about her in the few months they were to be stationed over Coruscant.

Maybe that would be reason enough to satisfy Eli’s curiosity. Governor Tarkin wanted him to do it. “I will be attending that gallery opening in a few days. It will be as good a situation as any to learn more about her, as well as try and learn more from the attending guests.” People loved to gossip. He wanted to say it was a human trait, but he knew of many other aliens who were just as eager to talk about others as humans. In this case, he would be glad for it.

~~

Hala smiled. “Thank you.” For reaching out, for offering a hand, for allowing her to contact Ae’lia in the future, for offering a bit of their past in the advice of meditation.

And now they both had to return to their other lives. Hala as Skye, a seemingly nobody who just so happened to get involved with Eira by the will of the Force, and Ae’lia as Eira, the woman the entire galaxy knew.

“Well,” she started with a sigh, “I guess I’ll leave you to everything you need to get done. I’ll see you at the gallery.” Would she need to talk with Malvern before then? If it were to act as a test run for her new position, she supposed she would need to send him a message about that later.

Hala gave a small nod to Ae’lia before she would turn to make her way out of the sky-faring room. A shame we didn’t get to actually play in the scarves.

Faro knew that she had denied the possibility of going before, and so had Eli. She hadn’t considered that Cora would be going, and that suddenly made her all the more nervous. She wasn’t sure why. She should relish having someone there with her, besides Thrawn, but there was some concern that Cora might tease or be only too obvious in suggesting some of Karyn’s reasons for being present.

“You have time to consider it!” Karyn agreed with that much, “Or just buy a new dress,” she laughed, though the suggestion wasn’t entirely mirthful. She suspected that Cora could do just that, and might even do that while they went to look at shoes. Given the number of dresses here, she suspected Cora might not want to wear one she’d already worn.

Even if it was unlikely anyone on Coruscant had seen her in any of these dresses.

She wondered if Cora had even worn all of them. “Well, I’ll go get this secured in my room, then. I’ll be sure to get it back to you right after.”

~***~

The name drop of Tarkin had its impact. Eli’s brows shot up in surprise. Wilhuff Tarkin thought there was something amiss? That was usually a bad thing. Or maybe this was just a test for Thrawn to prove himself worthy of the rank? ‘No, he’s done enough.’ Why would Tarkin see something amiss with the woman?

“I…suppose I should not tell Faro about that.” He couldn’t taint her interactions with Eira, nor anyone else’s interactions. They had to seem as if nothing was wrong, if Thrawn was investigating her. It would be better if fewer people knew. Most weren’t as…subtle. Or capable.

Eli wouldn’t deny that the gallery was apt to provide Thrawn with plenty of opportunities to learn more, but he couldn’t help the smirk, “And you just love that idle gossip,” no, Thrawn didn’t.

~***~

Ae’lia floated the tea and cups to herself, balancing the cups on the tray. Once they were settled in her hand, she noticed how Hala looked to the scarves. “Another time,” she said, “they are great for meditation,” for her, anyways, but she’d always been more of an active meditator. It was how music had come into play, and one thing she’d shared with her Master.

Except Vook could trance in the midst of battle in a way that Ae’lia would never master. She had helped focus him for the Form VII, but even she’d admit it was beyond her.

The violence of it….

“You can always come pay Amilyn a visit. She works here,” she noted as she started towards the doors of the room, carrying the tray without the use of the Force now, “you’ll just have to indulge her whimsical chatter,” which was no hardship for Ae’lia, but some people found it difficult at times.

She could imagine Mitth’raw’nuruodo would have been one of those people. She wasn’t so sure about Hala.

Cora’s own delight deflated, and she feigned a smile for the woman. “Maybe,” she forced out in a small chuckle. She couldn’t explain why Faro’s statement upset her so much. Was that how she was perceived? As someone who just bought more when she wasn’t satisfied?

“Yes, of course, make sure it stays safe.” She imagined that Faro would do anything she could to make sure nothing happened to the dress, even with the off-hand comment she had made. It’s not even that big of a deal. Why let it bother you so much?

Because she worried if others held similar perceptions of her: a spoiled Core officer who didn’t properly earn her position.

“Just let me know if you need anything else,” Cora added, her pep not quite back yet.

~~

Mentioning Tarkin’s name caught Eli’s attention. As well it should. It should help him realize that there was more to this entire situation with Eira than just Thrawn’s own personal interest. Even if the earlier outing happened before Governor Tarkin assigned this task.

“No, do not mention any of this to Officer Faro. I trust she will use the same discretion as always when...pursuing a relationship with someone outside of the Empire.” He didn’t like the way the latter part of his statement sounded on his tongue.

You are the Grand Admiral. You could just easily tell her to not see Eira for security reasons. But he wouldn’t. If Faro managed to get close to Eira, she could potentially find useful information they needed.

Thrawn lightly roll his eyes. “Oh yes, you know that is my favorite part of my position.” And Governor Tarkin was just as aware of Thrawn’s opinion of idle gossip. He could always feel the man’s laughter through his amused glances.

~~

Hala tilted her head, considering her future options if she wanted to lay amongst the scarves. She had never quite been one for meditation, though Master Parsa had somehow forced her to learn to engage in it. Their earlier meditation sessions would always quickly end with her squirming too much, unable to sit still for more than a few minutes.

She laughed at Ae’lia’s mention of Amilyn’s whimsical nature. “She seemed entertaining enough when I met her earlier. I certainly think I will be able to indulge her whimsical chatter. I bet she has many things to say.” Hala already knew she wanted to ask Amilyn about her hair. It wasn’t natural, that much was clear, and she just wanted to ask how often she changed up her hair colors.

Maybe it was silly, but it would make Hala happy.

“I will allow you to continue your day.” Hala followed after Ae’lia, opening the door for the woman with her hands full from the tray. They would be returning back into the public eye, which meant no more Force. “It was nice to be able to talk to you, Eira.”

Karyn thought she noticed a shift in Cora, although she wasn’t certain. She didn’t know her so well, but she seemed suddenly less enthused about all of this. Faro’s own smile flickered a bit on her lips, not certain what she’d done.

Karyn managed a nod, “Of course. I will,” although suddenly she wasn’t so sure about that, either. It wasn’t that hard to find a black pair of heels on her own, at least, she didn’t think so. She could probably do that without disturbing Cora, right?

Or would she take offense to not being invited along?

Now Karyn was overthinking, so she decided to hurry out, “I’ll see you for dinner and games, right?” She said, as she did start to move towards the door, to make her exit, and perhaps end on a better note. Assuming Cora wasn’t already sick of her and regretting letting her borrow the blue dress.

~***~

Eli squinted. Hard. Thrawn’s statement regarding Faro wasn’t inherently wrong, but the way he said it suggested something quite a bit more. That suspicion that Thrawn had an interest in Eira outside of what Tarkin suggest arose again, but for the time being, he would leave it as it was.

His expression cooled, and he smirked. “Politics are going to be a major part from now on,” Eli noted, “Though something tells me you won’t have to deal with it as much,” he wasn’t jockeying for further power. He’d take his jobs, and he’d perform them, as efficiently as always

Since he wasn’t attempting to be the top of the Grand Admirals through political means, or to usurp Grand Moff Tarkin from his throne, he likely wouldn’t be too annoyed with it.

Still, Eli would help where he could. “Let me know the time period you’re expecting to be gone on Saturday,” he said then, “With Faro going, I’d like to at least make sure I don’t get too distracted in looking into other things.” Rather be on duty on the Bridge, or somewhere else, even if it was technically downtime.

~***~

Eira.

It hurt to be called that again, but of course, it never showed. The mask was already on, and she was smiling, taking note of the words said before, “It was good to meet you as well,” she would absent the name, though.

Amilyn had not been far, as Eira suspected, and she walked into their area from the far end of the hallway, “Done already?” Amilyn asked, reaching for the tea set.

Eira nodded, “Yes – Skye quite liked the skyfaring. She may want to come around again for it,” she noted.

Happiness glinted in Amilyn’s eyes, “Of course! Anytime,” she agreed, “I’ve always found them quite relaxing,” adding a thought that Eira had, even though plenty of people struggled with the scarves. Amilyn still recalled how they had baffled Leia, the friend she was looking forward to seeing soon. “I will see you on Friday?” Amilyn asked.

Eira nodded, “Yes,” likely not before then, “I hope you have a good rest of your day, Amilyn.”

“Mm – and you,” to Skye, “It was nice to meet you,” however brief, “I’ll forward to seeing you in the future.”

Cora noted a slight change in Faro as well, although she didn’t quite place it as a subtle observation in how she had reacted. She decided to not think about it too much for now, but keep the smile on her face for Faro.

“Of course!” she responded with a nod. Even if she hadn’t heard from Eli yet, Cora surmised that they would still meet up that evening, all together, though in the moment, she had forgotten that Eli mentioned getting dinner on Coruscant, leaving games for another night.

Once Faro left, Cora let out a deep sigh and turned to her closet. The sight of her dresses no longer appealed to her, she decided with a frown. The closet doors shut, and she sat at her desk, datapad placed in front of her. Might as well get a little work done before dinner.

~~

He’s squinting. He suspects more. There was nothing more to tell Eli though, and he could think whatever he wished to, which he knew Eli did, despite not mentioning anything else.

“Regardless, I still believe I will have to put up with these needless politics from time to time,” he said with a scowl. Thrawn would be expected to attend functions as the Grand Admiral. He would need to put up with those who believed everything revolved around their petty politics, and Thrawn would desperately seek for a way out of it. Hope that Governor Tarkin was there and could help him, and Thrawn would just put up with the light teasing later.

Thrawn hummed, “I suppose the early evening hours, although I do not know when I will be returning. I will alert you of any changes in my plans. Will I see you at the gallery opening?” He knew those parties weren’t quite Eli’s scene, and Thrawn would appreciate the familiar face there, but he would allow for Eli to do whatever he already had planned for that evening, unless an emergency arose.

~~

Hala didn’t consider how Ae’lia felt about her alias. She grew so used to her own, Skye, that oftentimes, she forgot it wasn’t actually her name.

And being called Hala for the first time in years almost felt fake. Surreal. Like some dream. She didn’t know which name she ultimately preferred.

But for now, she was Skye once again, as she has been for fourteen years. And Skye smiled at the sight of Amilyn outside the skyfaring room. She found herself having to crane her neck some in order to look up at the tall woman. “Oh yes, I definitely would love to come back to this room, and so I do hope we see each other again soon,” she smiled.

With a slight inclination of her head at both woman, Skye turned around and made her way back out of the building.

Thrawn was definitely off his game. Eli managed not to smirk, but his lips twitched. ‘Thrawn why do you think I asked that question?’ Eli shook his head, all the same. “No, I haven’t changed my mind,” he had denied it last night, and was asking about Thrawn’s schedule to make sure he was on the Bridge or otherwise not engaged in deep research.

Sure, he could leave the ship without worrying too much, but with both Karyn and Thrawn gone, he’d rather be aware of the goings on within the ship and among their fleet. There were a lot of new people to get used to, and he could use that time to also speak with them and learn their histories in the Imperial Navy.

“You might want to get some caf,” Eli offered, “or tea,” as an off-hand suggestion, and a subtle implication that he thought Thrawn was tired. That he thought Thrawn had missed something he shouldn’t have. “I will see you later, Grand Admiral. I need to research locations on Coruscant so that myself, Suvan, and Faro, can take an evening off to Coruscant.”

He thought it was prudent to let Thrawn know in the moment.

~***~

Eira let Skye go on without her, thinking that a bit curious, but she saw the dismissal in her nod and walked on with Amilyn to take the tea tray back to the kitchens of the complex, there idle chatter dominated, “We should meet early on Friday,” Amilyn noted, “just to go over your ship.”

“It’s still well,” Eira noted.

Amilyn gave her a look and Eira relented raising her hands, “Very well, we’ll take a look at the ship early on Friday. How is 4am for you?”

“I shall be ready then,” she promised, “I was already considering sleeping in the ship. I do like it,” she sighed, “though there are so many upgrades I’d like to make to it.” And she was denied, consistently, because some upgrades would draw too much attention from the wrong people.

“It’s a consular vessel, Amilyn,” she reminded. “It needs to stay a consular vessel, we’re not racing flyboys.”

Amilyn giggled at that, “But I’d love to show up those cocky flyboys in the hangar.”

“I know,” with the tea tray set, Amilyn would walk Eira back to the complex’s entrance.

“Now, don’t forget what I have said,” Amilyn said, “And please find out when Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s birthday is.” She was trying. She’d never heard the Grand Admiral say it, so Eira could hear the mistakes – but in a way, that helped.

She nodded, “I know, I know. Keep calling him Mitth’raw’nuruodo no matter who I’m speaking with,” her tongue got used to the gestures. Got used to the inflexion. She was starting to note the positions to stress better, anyways, without hearing Mitth’raw’nuruodo say it. Starting to think of him as that, and not Thrawn. “I will try to find out what he considers his birthday by our standards, but he may not know.”

“He does.” Holdo was so confident on that, “He must be interested in how he’s aging, right?”

Eira just sighed, but nodded. People were usually obsessed with time. Mitth’raw’nuruodo may be, as well. Unless Chiss lived for centuries.

Outside the complex, the pair went their separate ways.

Thrawn nodded in simple response. Of course, Eli had mentioned it already. Somehow, the detail slipped from his mind, and Thrawn chalked it up to simply be related to everything that was going on at once, it seemed.

He sighed, and brought one hand up to rub at the bridge of his nose. “You are right, I think I do need some caf.” Or maybe a proper night of sleep, but he wouldn’t get that right then. He still had much to do before the end of the day.

Eli stated that he had plans with Officers Suvan and Faro, the former’s name catching his interest. “I don’t recall you ever talking to Officer Suvan before.” One eyebrow was raised. They were also at lunch together, along with Officer Faro, which was more typical.

He let it go for now. Reaching down, Thrawn turned the projection off, and the light in his quarters returned to normal. “I will see you later, Commander. I hope you enjoy your evening.” His lips quirked up in a smile and nodded his head at Eli in their goodbyes. Truly, his officer needed a night off.

Eli knew he failed at not flushing when Thrawn pointedly drew attention to Cora Suvan, but he was relieved of having to comment on it by Thrawn easily dismissing him. He opted not to back track to a defense – that would only make things worse. So, he managed a curt nod. “Thank you, Grand Admiral. I hope you have a productive one.”

He knew Thrawn wouldn’t be sleeping any time soon, either.

With that, Eli would depart from Thrawn’s quarters, and start to bring up information on places to eat on Coruscant. Naturally, there was a plethora. He opted to bring up three review sites, and he compared the highest rated ones across the board, along with their expenses. Eventually, he settled on one place called the Caelestis which liked to have theme nights, showcasing food and drink from across the galaxy, with the menu rotating weekly.

He sent a group message to Faro and Suvan.

Hey, how would you two like to go to the Caelestis for the night out instead? It seems to have good reviews.

He hadn’t looked at what food was the theme, though.

~***~

4am, and Eira was in the hangar where her ship, Empyrean, waited. The hangar itself had constant guards, but nonetheless, Eira understood it remained wiser to look the ship over. Not to mention they had to make sure Maege got on without issue, which shouldn’t actually be a problem. She’d be arriving in a crate of spare parts for the ship. Supposedly.

Amilyn Holdo was already there, her hair the same as before, but her attire the brilliant orange of Starfighter pilot. It clashed, but Eira knew she’d change long before that was a concern, and she waved to Amilyn as they came within sight of her.

She hadn’t dressed up much; the cover of darkness helped a bit with avoidance of those who would love a ‘candid’ picture of her, but she knew, not entirely. Nonetheless, she was in loose slacks for once, the black material flaring at her ankles, the gray top hanging off of one shoulder, and her hair pinned up.

There was a time for being prepared for people and this was too early in the day for that. “Good morning, sunshine!” Amilyn greeted.

Eira cracked a smile, “Good morning.”

“I’ve gone over everything on the outside,” Amilyn noted, “It seems in good order, we just need to run the system scans to make sure, but I wanted to wait for you.”

“You forgot the keys.” Eira stated.

“Yes. I have misplaced the keys. I am so sorry, it was another reason I wanted to make sure to check the ship, in case they weren't...misplaced." But stolen. She didn't need to say that. "I thought I may still find them."

A sudden ping drew Cora’s attention away from her work. A new message from Eli Vanto. With an unknowing smile, she pulled up the message and read over it. The restaurant wasn’t familiar to her, which was expected, but upon a quick search, she readily agreed.

The place sounded good enough, and a safe choice from what the reviews stated.

She sent a message back to both Eli and Faro.

The place sounds great. Shall we meet in the hangar?

Rising from her desk, Cora decided to change out of her standard uniform for something more casual and typical for a night out on Coruscant, and took her hair down from its bun. But nothing too fancy, right? It’s just a night out with friends and nothing more.

She would be immediately ready to meet the two of them anywhere on the ship for their short trip to Coruscant.

~~

Even for someone as dedicated to his work as Thrawn, he still found the start to his morning far too early. The empty cup of caf he downed in his shuttle to Coruscant spoke volumes of how he truly felt, but late in the night, he received a message concerning their ships in a hangar that had been in repair and in need of inspection.

So he decided to get it done early and out of the way for what the rest of the day held for him, a move he regretted less with each passing step.

But stepping out of his shuttle into the hangar, he quickly realized with the echoing of the other voices that he was not the only one in there that morning. The entire idea that someone else would be in there so early in the morning didn’t immediately arouse suspicion, but he was curious to see who else was there.

Thrawn recognized one of the voices before he saw her face. Eira, and her friend Amilyn Holdo, who’s appearance that morning he decided was an assault on the senses. The colors...I will never understand humans.

Okay, yes, now he was suspicious, but also more curious. “Miss Eira, Miss Holdo, this is a pleasant surprise.” If they hadn’t noticed him yet, they would now with his casual greeting and strolling up to them.

Sure. Hangar 5. I can get us a ship there easily enough.

After Eli sent that message, he went to change out of his own uniform. He didn’t need to be in uniform while having some time out on the town, after all. He didn’t need to get dragged into any messes. Still, he frowned as he noted he still didn’t have much besides his uniform.

It all suddenly felt so old. And not good enough. Yet still, he threw on a pair of dark slacks and a brown top, almost sighing as he slipped the top on, thinking it was boring. But it was clean, and it did fit him well, so there was no real reason to complain.

He would be the first at the Hangar, with Karyn not far behind. She’d gotten the memo to take off uniform, as well, and arrived in black slacks with a green shirt on, “Do you think this is good enough for that place? I wasn’t sure if I should put on something nicer, or—”

“It’s fine, there’s no dress code,” Eli chuckled a bit at her own anxiety. To think he was more relaxed being in the Core than Faro.

~***~

Eira was handing off the keys to Amilyn as a voice called out in greeting. Both of them looked over to Mitth’raw’nuruodo as he approached, before exchanging a look between themselves. Amilyn started to giggle immediately, and Eira just smiled, before letting her attention return to the Grand Admiral.

“It’s still just Eira, Mitth’raw’nuruodo,” she told him, but she wouldn’t laugh at his expense. It was too early for all that, too.

“And just Amilyn,” she piped in, amused that Mitth’raw’nuruodo had deferred to her surname immediately, “I’ll get the scanners running, Eira,” she added, closing her fingers around the keys to head up into the Empyreon and look it over.

“What are you doing down here so early, Mitth’raw’nuruodo?” Eira had refused to call him ‘Thrawn’ since the skyfaring, and she thought it sounded significantly better because of that. It at least flowed off her tongue much easier, there wasn’t much pause in thinking about where to add the stresses she’d heard any longer.

It did seem unusual to her, but not terribly. A hangar was a place for an admiral, after all.

Cora responded to the message in the affirmative. She glanced over her appearance to ensure everything looked decent, with her down in soft waves, black slacks, and a light purple blouse. Her appearance was deemed acceptable for a night out, and so Cora left for the hangar Eli said they would meet in.

She walked in not long after Eli and Faro arrived. With a smile, Cora took in their different appearance from how she would normally see them, in their standard uniforms. “You two look nice.”

Her eyes definitely did not linger on Eli and how he seemed to look even more handsome in his civilian garb.

“I admit, I didn’t see what kind of food this restaurant offers,” she mentioned with a slight laugh. “But the reviews seemed promising.”

~~

Despite the seeming silent conversation exchanged between the two women, Thrawn allowed a slight smile to cross his face. Partially due to the reminder, again, of Eira’s name preference, and partially due to her repeated attempt at pronouncing his name, which he had to admit, she was improving at. “Of course Eira, and Amilyn,” he said with an inclination of his head.

His eyes followed Amilyn for a second before returning to Eira. “I could ask you the same thing, Eira.” Didn’t she have a job on the planet? So immediately, his mind wondered if she was temporarily going off planet, and decided to leave early, or if there was another reason for her presence, and her friend’s, in the hangar so early.

But he obliged to answer her question. Her further attempt to pronounce his name easily entertained him enough. “I simply wanted to check up on some shuttles that had been in repair. What better time than early in the morning, before everyone else is awake?” And before his datapad is bombarded by messages.

“And what about you?” he went ahead and asked. “I did not think any civilian would be awake and in the hangar this early in the morning.”

The purple definitely looked good on Cora, a thought Eli and Karyn shared as she came into the hangar to join them, “So do you!” Karyn was the first to say, after her own compliment.

Eli managed a small nod at that, before addressing the matter of the food, “That’s part of the fun, actually,” he said as he led them to one of the smaller transports, opening the door, “it changes often. I think I read that this week the food was coming from Alderaan,” likely due to the gallery and the high profile presence of Queen Breha. “You’ll have one-up on our Grand Admiral, Faro.”

“Heh…,” she supposed she might, at least where food was concerned – if much food was offered at the gallery. She didn’t really know how these things worked. “Except he’s probably used to gallery environments.”

Faro was not.

Wordlessly, she and Eli took places as they stepped into the ship, and into the cockpit. Faro slid into the co-pilot’s seat, as Eli took the pilot’s seat. He wasn’t as good a flyer as Faro, but for going down to Coruscant? That wasn’t an issue.

~***~

Eira heard the light thrum of her ship as it came to life behind her in order to run the scans, but it hardly bothered her. She was accustomed to its sound; it had become pleasing, in some ways. Relaxing. It was an old friend now, an old friend she kept improving and updating, but nonetheless.

It didn’t take her attention away from Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s answer, either. It made sense enough, and she hummed thoughtfully at it, “I hope there is nothing too severely wrong with your ships. I can hardly argue with your choice in time. I wanted to see to my own ship before there was too much noise here,” she gestured back easily enough, “or before I was rushed.”

Which would segue easily into her answer, “I am heading off to Kashyyyk – you’re not the only Imperial I play shows for,” she offered a wink at that. “I received the information this week that my manager had booked it. The timing’s poor given tomorrow, but I’m lucky if I get a full night’s sleep as it is,” a light shake of her head, but the smile remained, “I assure you, I don’t have a civilian schedule.”

She was likely up as much as he was. Perhaps more.

Cora smiled at Faro. “Thank you.” At the compliment, she subconsciously smoothed down her blouse, as if attempting to rid the fabric of any imaginary wrinkles.

Eli offered an explanation of the food, and Cora readily listened as she followed behind and into the shuttle.Alderaan. How serendipitous. Or maybe not, if the restaurant truly did plan the theme in relevance to the gallery opening and the arrival of Queen Breha.

“I can give you a few more pointers regarding these types of gallery opening, if you wish.” Again, she offered her help towards Faro, whether or not the woman wanted it. Cora wanted to see Faro successful in her flirting with Eira, if only to witness their Grand Admiral fluster.

Why? She didn’t know. Maybe as some form of entertainment. Although she truly wanted to help Faro woo her crush.

Cora took an empty spot behind the pilot and co-pilot seats with a flicker of a frown before it disappeared.

~~

Thrawn hummed. “I hope not either.” He didn’t have a chance to look at his ships yet, as Eira’s and Holdo’s presence distracted him enough from his initial mission. Again. This was one mission he wouldn’t neglect before leaving the hangar though – he had a report to write up regarding their repairs.

Before he could question why she wanted to see her ship in the first place, Eira provided him an answer. “Kashyyyk?” he repeated with slight interest. He recalled an earlier conversation regarding her connection to the Wookies and an attempt to learn their language, but it hardly concerned him in the moment, with Kashyyyk under the Galactic Empire.

“You definitely seem like you do not have a typical civilian schedule.” He had heard before of how these stars and other famous people tend to have a hectic schedule in comparison to someone of a ‘normal’ job. “You should tell this manager of yours that you should have plenty of time for rest in between assignments. It is not healthy otherwise.”

Thrawn didn’t know what compelled him to say such a thing. He cleared his throat. “I trust that you will have a smooth travel and seamless performance.”

“Yeah!” Karyn turned slightly in her seat, letting Eli handle getting the ship up and off the hangar, clearing through the bridge to let them know where they were going.

Eli would keep his focus on piloting, though he would be listening.

“I know we’re there for Alderaan, so it’s going to be a lot of Alderaan art, but I’m not…sure what to expect beyond that. I’m guessing some sort of cultural education, as well?” Honestly, it didn’t sound terribly exciting to her, but she’d never been one to want to stare at art all day, and she didn’t need a lecture on life on Alderaan compared to everywhere else.

Alderaan had it easy.

Alderaan was practically a utopia, from what little Karyn Faro knew.

“It seems more like art, with snacks,” was Eli’s addition, from the few he’d been to. There was a reason he wasn’t interested in it. They broke through to the atmosphere of Coruscant, the lights shining up into the night sky.

Coruscant was, truly, a wonder at night. Especially from high up, Eli thought, and even Karyn’s gaze shifted for a few moments as the lights reflected in the viewport.

~***~

Eira nodded. Kashyyyk. No need to elaborate, just to confirm. She did not need to draw his attention back to a few things she had told him, at least not right then, anyways. Her job was entirely related to Imperial interests, after all, and keeping morale and spirits up for them.

It was easy enough, with a laugh at his comment about trying to tell her manager to lay off. “I am afraid that even your name will not intimidate them, but I know they care for me. If I were truly exhausted or completely unwilling, I know they would give me time off to take care of myself. Unfortunately, my manager and I have similar views about using our time well.” Of course, she did find time off.

She did take enough moments to herself – and she too often felt guilty about it. “I will likely manage a short nap in lightspeed, do not worry. Amilyn is an excellent pilot, there is little I need to actually do – I know travel will be seamless.”

In spite of her age, that much was true. Eira had not seen many pilots better. Perhaps only one or two, and that had been among the Jedi.

Amilyn, perhaps hearing the praise, seemed to pick then to poke her head out, “Should I start the caf?”

Eira glanced back, then nodded. Caf would be good. “Do you need a cup while you’re here, Grand Admiral?” Amilyn thought to offer, not quite sure how long he planned to hang around.

Cora’s gaze flittered from Eli, observing how he piloted the ship, over to Karyn as she turned in her chair and continued the topic of the gallery. She casually shrug and sat back in her chair. “Maybe at a smaller gallery, sure, there would be some cultural education.”

But on a grand opening on Coruscant with Queen Breha present? “Honestly? An event like this may have little cultural education, minus a speech at the beginning of the party. Really, it’s an excuse for the wealthy and influential to intermingle.”

She had seen enough of them to know exactly what will happen at each hour. But mainly? Eating, dancing, and boring conversation she didn’t care much for, but Cora held out hope that this one would be different with other people she knew there. “Imagine it similar to the Grand Admiral’s party, but with less Imperials, and more art on the walls.”

Her attention momentarily shifted to the sight of the Coruscant endless skyline before them. Cora had been countless times before, and yet every time, she still found herself mesmerized by the lights and architecture.

~~

Thrawn was deeply amused by her mention of his name unable to inspire intimidation in her manager. Truly a ruthless person, then. But ultimately he was pleased to hear that if Eira didn’t wish for this, or needed a break, she would be able to get one.

Don’t question why you are thinking about this right now.

At the mention of Amilyn as an excellent pilot, his eyes flickered to the ship, where the woman prepared it for flight. In his mind, she seemed too young to truly be a decent pilot, but Eira seemed to trust her enough. Nothing about the woman’s body suggest nerves of her upcoming flight. If anything, she held great familiarity with the woman’s skills.

Thrawn almost denied the offer for a cup of caf, but he quickly reconsidered it. He still fought off the fog of slumber, and it would give him further excuse to continue their conversation without seeming too obvious of wishing for it to continue. “Yes, please, if you do not mind. It may help me fight off the remaining urge to sleep,” he responded with a light smile.

The lights seemed to have silenced many of them, until Eli needed to speak in order to get a spot in a hangar that was closer to the Caelestis. Thankfully, there was still space available even at this hour, and Eli was able to dock the ship as Karyn considered more about the gallery.

It was hard to wrap her head around it just being a fancy party. She knew Breha was famous for hosting plenty of parties on Alderaan, but this still seemed strange.

“At least the fewer Imperials will make it more relaxing,” she did say aloud. A strange sentiment from an Imperial, perhaps, but no less true. The standards wouldn’t be so rigorous. The expectations would be muted.

“Except for your boss being there,” Eli said once the ship was docked. Karyn flushed, remembering that, “Don’t worry, he’ll be too distracted by the art to notice,” unlikely, but best Faro not know. Best she know nothing about the strange situation with Eira, Thrawn, and Tarkin, “But let’s go get some food – the Caelestis isn’t too far from here. We shouldn’t need to catch a cab.”

“Oh good – those things are ridiculously overpriced.” Faro said, moving from her seat first and on towards the exit of the ship.

~***~

Amilyn accepted the answer without a word, dashing back into the ship and to where more of the living space was in order to prepare the caf that had been requested, allowing Eira and Mitth’raw’nuruodo to talk further.

Eira would hardly express any agitation. She and Amilyn had a bit yet before the other members of their party showed up. It was another reason why they had shown up early. If there was anything to alert them about, then it would be done. Likely, Amilyn would already be informing them of the bit of a situation with the Grand Admiral’s presence.

It might be easy enough to dismiss him with an ‘I hope we aren’t keeping you’, but Eira didn’t want him gone. Far from it, in truth, she’d been looking forward more to the gallery than the trip to Kashyyyk.

“Do you do much piloting of smaller crafts, Mitth’raw’nuruodo?” Eira asked then, curious, and she elaborated a bit, “Grand Admiral Savit doesn’t any longer,” though of course, earlier in his career, he had done so – but even then, not much. His job was more composing. Strategy. To be at the center, in the midst, but not within a TIE or even a smaller craft. “I wondered if that was the norm.”

Cora merely nodded to what Karyn said while still distracted by the Coruscant lights. None of the gallery party seemed strange to her, for she was familiar with them, and she didn’t consider that the other two would have never experienced this kind of setting before. Cora just momentarily assumed they were...a normal occurrence.

“Maybe the Grand Admiral will be distracted by the art, or maybe some of the guests will occupy his attention enough,” Cora suggested with a shrug. Known former-Separatists would be there. Surely that in of itself would occupy Thrawn’s attention as he talked to them to learn what they were up to.

Cora silently agreed to the sentiment that taxis were far too expensive, even to someone like her. She moved from her seat and followed Karyn to the exit. “Good, I’m starving.” How long has it been since they ate lunch? She could imagine herself stuffing her mouth with the first thing she spotted on the menu.

~~

Thrawn hardly spared a glance to Amilyn this time as she dashed back into the ship. There was still something about her that seemed...off to him, but his main focus was on the dark-haired woman standing in front of him, who was obviously trying to get him to open up through her continued attempt at his name and questions about himself.

But he felt like obliging. “I used to in my earlier years, but I haven’t piloted a smaller craft in quite some time.” He couldn’t recall piloting a ship since he was on Csilla. He was known more as a tactician, not a pilot fighter.

“Many superior officers spend little to no time on the battlefield, as they act as the strategists of our wars.” Thrawn never hesitated to put himself where he needed to be, whether that was directed his troops from the Bridge, or moving closer to the action. He was more than aware of many officers who never saw battle, or even deserved their position due to strategy skills. All related to the Core bias, unfortunately.

“What about you?” he found himself asking before he could think. “Have you ever piloted a ship?”

Either was possible in the case of Thrawn. ‘Maybe one particular guest.’ Eli thought, but again, wouldn’t say. Even if he wanted to tease Karyn, his thoughts were heavy with the truth of that. He hoped, of course, that Eira wouldn’t turn out to be anything – that Tarkin’s instincts were wrong – but even he knew how rare that was. Tarkin had his position for a reason, and could order people like Thrawn for a reason.

He was, very rarely, wrong.

So, he focused on Cora’s additional comment as they all moved to exit and he laughed a bit, “Hopefully the food will be good,” he didn’t think it would be bad, though. Alderaan wasn’t known for anything particularly offensive that he was aware of.

He used his datapad to help navigate them through the city, Karyn occasionally lagging behind as she paused to gawk at something. He had to pull at her arm a couple of times to get her moving again, but eventually, they found it.

And a line.

Eli sighed as he stood in the line that was a little bit outside of the restaurant. “Great.” He grumbled. He was also hungry. He didn’t consider they might need to step in to alert the hostess of their presence – didn’t notice that other people in the line were holding discs that would flash when there was seating available for their party.

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s answer was not surprising. It seemed, in this respect, he was akin to the others that he worked with. He understood how the ships worked, and what they were capable of, but he was not as familiar in their use from experience. Eira nodded, for it certainly made sense. His talents were better spent elsewhere. “That is what I have been led to believe,” she noted.

It was easy enough to believe.

The Officers rarely wanted to get their hands dirty.

“Oh, yes. I still pilot. I know my Empyreon quite well,” she answered, no hesitation, “Though I’ve years more experience than Amilyn, she still pilots better than me. I wouldn’t even dream of trying to move the Empyreon through a battlefield.” Not that it was suited for it. Not the fighting part, anyways. It had weapons, but better shielding.

“Of course, we do try to avoid those, you know how war spreads,” innocents always ended up involved, in space or on planets.

Amilyn returned on that note, offering a cup of iced caf to Eira, and a cup of hot caf to Mitth'raw'nuruodo, with a selection of sugars and creams to add if he so liked. She already knew how Eira preferred hers. “Now I’m curious if I have more experience flying than a Grand Admiral,” Amilyn noted, “How old are you? How many years did you spend flying smaller crafts?” Really, she just cared about the first answer.

Last edited:
Cora glanced back at Eli and smiled. “Oh, I’m sure it will be. That’s one great thing about Coruscant, the food scene can be pretty amazing.” Especially for those who were willing to spend a pretty credit.

There were some restaurants she found outrageously expensive. But sometimes, they were worth the splurge.

She followed beside Eli after noting he was the one helping them navigate to the restaurant. An occasional chuckle escaped her mouth when Karyn would lag behind due to her natural curiosity for the glittering sights of the city-planet.

They stopped when they arrived, but there was a line. Something which her stomach protested. She frowned, but as someone who frequented establishments like that restaurant, she knew they needed to see the hostess immediately. And the observation of the other patrons with a disc in their clutches confirmed that thought.

“I’ll be right back,” she said as she started forward passed the line. A Twi’lek at a podium greeted her with a polite smile and immediately inquired a name and number of guests with her. “Suvan, with a party of three.”

Cora was handed a similar disc, and she gave a polite nod before returning to her friends. “They’re pretty busy tonight, and the wait may be around twenty minutes.”

~~

That is what I have been led to believe. That did not surprise Thrawn, to learn of the reputations of superior Imperial officers in the civilian eyes, yet he wasn’t exactly pleased that that was their reputation. That they didn’t quite engage in the same battles as their soldiers, but instead directing their maneuvers from a safe distance.

But it was the truth.

Her affirmative answer was a pleasant surprise. He allowed a flicker of a pleasant surprise across his face, with the slight quirk of the corners of his lips. “Regardless of your skill level compared to your friend, you still seem to have many fascinating hobbies.”

He lightly referenced to not only her performing talents, but also her interest and knack for other languages, by how she continued to try his name on her lips.

“But you are right, you shouldn’t think about moving your ship through a battlefield. It is not a situation that any civilian should have to deal with.” Which is why he strived to ensure that civilians were left out of battles as much as possible, keep down the death toll. The Batonn insurgency was just an unfortunate accident.

His attention shifted back to Amilyn as she came back out with their cafs. Thrawn noted how Eira preferred hers icy. Due to her upbringing on the icy planet Mygeeto? He accepted his caf, but neglected the creams and sugars. Black caf was his preference.

He considered himself fortunate that he hadn’t immediately sipped on the caf. Not with the question Amilyn asked. Crimson eyes widened by a fraction with her bluntness, but he shook that off with a light chuckle. “Curious, are we? I believe I piloted my first ship about thirty years ago.” He hummed, sipping on the caf. “Is my age really so important?”

Eli canted his head as Cora dismissed herself, but he didn’t follow, just poked his head around the line to look in. Could she get them in sooner? It didn’t seem like it. She returned instead with a disc, and let them know the wait was twenty minutes. Faro let out a groan.

Eli managed a small smile at that, “It’s going to be all right. The food will be good.”

“It better be,” she grumbled.

Thankfully, the wait for a party of three didn’t end up being that long – though fifteen minutes was still a while, they were eventually brought in, and taken to a table with rather high seats. The Caelestis boasted blue neon lights and dark floors, with swirls of white that seemed like stars decorating the floor, and dimmer lights of other hues adding to the idea of the colorful galaxies seen from afar.

It was appealing, in its way.

The hostess, naturally, asked about drinks first. “We do have a few specials, of course, including Alderaanian toniray, a cocktail inspired by the Starblossom –using Starblossom-flavored liquor of course, another inspired by the majestic thranta – a native avian of Alderaan, and a few lagers and other wines native to Alderaan.”

“I’d like the Starblossom cocktail,” Karyn answered immediately.

“Toniray,” though Eli had some at Thrawn’s party, he preferred to keep a watch on the levels he drank. He had to keep somewhat of a level-head.

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo had no idea her hobbies, but Eira smiled and inclined her head all the same, “You pick up many interests in my line of work,” a true fact, of course. Particularly with the theater, where stunt-doubles were impossible. Film was easier for that, but theater? No, not so much. They all became quick learners, and quicker liars, for it.

She sipped her caf as Amilyn pulled her tray back, diving right into what she wanted from Mitth’raw’nuruodo. Even if he didn’t yet know. Eira couldn’t quite mask her smile as he tried to avoid the question. ‘How old are you?’ She wouldn’t be surprised if he said 60 or even 300. Creatures aged differently across the galaxy. She could hardly judge him at a look.

Amilyn answered his own question with something almost like deference for the topic, “It is very important for my sky-chart,” she stated, “I’d also like to know your date of birth, or as near as you can estimate by our standards. I know you must have grown up under an entirely different sky, but so far I have found that there are patterns based on the time of a person’s birth. If I knew your sky, I would be better able to understand you, but I know that’s not possible. Your home is far away and hidden, even from the Emperor.”

Eira’s brows lifted in alarm. Sometimes, she really wanted to kick Amilyn, or nudge her, to tell her when to shut up.

But she just spoke what came into her head, not understanding that sometimes those cues were the Force and shouldn’t be spoken. “Even though he would really like to know, wouldn’t he? But I just want to know your age and time of birth. Then I’ll know you and how you fit – since Eira likes talking about you so much, I need to know if you do fit, or if this is just a passing fancy.”

And now Eira’s face was scarlet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back