• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Spellbound

OOC
Here
Lore
Here
Her praise for Granyas hard work would wait, settled at the table by that time. Besides, it felt like she might want to hear it herself rather than from Theo second hand. There was a certain sense of comfort not only at their table but also the entire pub. Even if it was a public setting and a good portion filled with relative strangers, Willow couldn't help but indulge in the feeling of home that washed over the room.

Lyovs age was clearly starting to get the best of him when it came to some fine motor skills. Her heart ached for the man she had hardly met, watching as those near were quick to step in and offer assistance. It wasn't long before she was compelled to do the same, rising enough in her seat to pour another glass from the diminishing pitcher when she saw him reaching toward it. The kindness in his smile was all the acknowledgement she needed, but Theo would give her even more.

"I'm not sure if beautiful is the right word you're looking for," she attempted to object, cheeks heated although she couldn't decide if it was more from his words or his touch. "I'm just helping out as anyone would; just like you." His words were poetry to her ears and even if she didn't feel she deserved them she did enjoy hearing them.

“I think is perfect word. Especially for you.” The lightest touch of sadness came and went from his eyes when she spoke of doing what anyone would do, “That is always my hope.” Though he did not say much about the matter. Theo offered Willow a bite of a layered cake instead of delving further. Medovik was a commonly ordered dessert. Amalia specialized in it.

The offer of the scrumptious looking dessert was enough to keep her from continuing. Delight washed over her face as she managed to finally swallow it down, although she really shouldn't have expected any less than the cullinary magicians she worked with. "It's almost as sweet as you are," she remarked once her mouth was empty, immediately feeling foolish for something that sounded so painfully scripted. A prolonged sip of her kvas was used to try and mask some of the shame she had given herself.

How adorable! Theo knew better than to lay it on thick with Uncle Jovan beside him, but he whispered, “Eh, I am bit spicy too.” Just to be fun and suggestive. His drink of kvas was as strategic but in a false coy way.

As the ramekins and porcelain serving dishes began to empty, Jovan started telling Micha and Amalia to gather up the mess. Not long thereafter the table got cleared and Jovan went to the bar. While the rest of them started going around serving drinks on trays to anyone who had cash and dry lips, Granya was being pestered by her Grandpa, and occasionally her Uncle Theo. Molly didn’t know why until Natalia and Amalia put their trays down at Jovan’s request to go to Granya. When they did, it was all smirks and grins trying to get her up. Finally, they dragged Granya to her feet. The two women stood on stage with Granya half-hidden between the two. The little shchenok further obscured herself by pulling up the collar of her trench coat.

The cheers for a song rose higher. Each decibel had Granya shrinking back into the shadows. Amalia pulled her niece forward-- not too much, but back to where she had been standing.

Natalia said something, but the excitement of the crowd overpowered her. Amalia barked, “Молчи! Молчи!” There was no malice, but the point was made clear, and the crowd settled. “And now, we sing old folk song, from St. Petersburg.” Amalia announced.

The song began, and it was clear Granya was not putting forth as much volume, but she contributed enough to satisfy her family. At first, she had practically hidden her face with her hands. By the middle, Granya was smiling faintly from the shadow of her aunts and the collar that still kept half of her head veiled.

Once the song finished Natalia and Amalia stepped down to go back to their work. Granya slipped behind her aunts before they outstretched a leg and went right to her Grandpa Lyov. The old man merrily laughed, pulling his granddaughter into a hug. Theo cheered for the bravery of his niece, even if she had to be coaxed to the stage. Then he gave Willow a sneaky grin. “How about you sing?” He suggested.

Their remarks that were gradually growing more and more bold would have to wait as dinner ended. Deciding she'd have to ask him about his spiciness in about nine days, Willow moved to give the cousins a bit of help clearing before moving back toward her section of tables. Everyone seemed to be in a jovial mood, which she'd attribute to fair amounts of alcohol for most and a genuinely pleasant environment for all. Many of the faces she stopped to serve had been seen at least once in the prior week, although there was the occasional new table. She had just set down the last drink on her tray when the commotion from the family table caught her attention.

When she realized just where they were headed, she stepped back out of the way of any of the tables, backing into a wall and holding her tray to her chest. Their bouncing tune had her head nodding side to side to the beat, unable to keep but smiling. Even without knowing what the song was about, she still enjoyed it , joining the crowd in a well-earned round of applause. Just a she was turning to do another round checking on everyone, Theo posed his question and she immediately looked for any way out of it.

"I would, but I don't know any Russian folk songs." Surely he'd tell her any song was fine, or better yet offer to teach her one. She scrambled for another excuse with, "I don't have any music with me. No piano or anything like that, so I guess I just can't. Shucks." The disappointment wasn't convincing even if she tried her best, putting more effort in trying to find a way to slip away.

Against all protests, yet also keeping an eye on how far he could push this, Theo inched her towards the stage. “Come, come. Granya, the hermit, did it, I have trust in you!” He waved all the concerns over instruments and such away, and of course he insisted it didn’t have to be a Russian song. “Do you know ‘Stand By Me’? Is classic! I will sing too, I promise!”

Did she know it? What sort of a question was that? She was running out of excuses and space between her and the small stage. The fact that he pointed out she was also being less cooperative than the youngest family member also struck a bit of a cord. One song couldn't hurt her, and if she fumbled it badly enough he'd never ask her to do it again. Plus she'd get her revenge on him one way or the other.

Caving, she set her tray down on the end of the family table, pursing her lips at him. "Fine. But you better sing and I'm only here for back-up vocals," she insisted. Reaching down, she took hold of his hand to tug him up with her, not risking stepping up first alone for him to back out.

Theo argued for a solid duet as he stepped up with her. To give her some strength of will he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Just about now Molly got up on a chair and cheered, her hands in the air, “WOO!” The room shared the enthusiasm! They settled down at the warning of Amalia to keep their noise reasonable.

“When the night has come, and the land is dark, and the moon is the only light we’ll see~~” Theo started for them. His voice, like smooth stones rumbling along the bed of a tilting river, rolled over the two of them and out over the crowd. The song was known enough that it excited many of the patrons, but good enough to draw in the rest. “~~no I won’t be afraid, no I won’t be afraid. Just as long as you stand by me.” Those emeralds gazed expectantly and full of warmth for his lovely companion.

Naturally she felt her body leaning into his shoulder, comforted by his presence and the warmth that rolled off him. Admittedly, she was years past stage fright being a thing, and she was well aware that a good portion of the current patrons were too far to pass judgement aside from praise. The welcoming cheers were enough for her to put aside any doubts but the moment he started singing she was just as pulled in as the crowd.

Looking up at him, she could have sworn she dove into the depths of those shining eyes, her lips pulling back in a smile. In that moment the rest of the pub vanished and he was singing to her alone - on a blanket in a field, in a undersized kitchen, curled up on a sofa - everywhere she could imagine. He was drowning her with affectionate promises that were possibly one of her newest favorite song. She met him for the chorus, her eyes locking on to his as her own dulcet tone harmonized beautifully with his. As the chorus ended, she went on to continue with the second verse.

"If the sky that we look upon, should tumble and fall, or the mountain should crumble to the sea ," she turned as she sang, one hand reaching out for his as she was trapped in his gaze, "I won't cry, no I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear, just as long as you stand, stand by me."

Taking her hand, Theo also stepped a foot back, then forward, and just as they broke into the chorus together they went full into a silver-box step; appropriate, for such a small stage. Theo spun her once and when their hands returned they finished the song together. “Darling, darling! Stand by me! Ho, stand by me! Oh stand now! Stand by me, stand by me! Whenever you’re in trouble won’t you stand by me! Oh stand, by me! Whoa stand now, oh stand, stand by me!”

A roar of applause, drunken Russians raising their glasses, and Theo daring to dip Willow with Jovan in full view-- who could only glare a single eye, while the other commended their talent-- had topped the cake for him.

All the world painted back in detail as Theo bowed with Willow to their adoring audience. They stepped down to allow another person to take their turn. Grinning like a love-sick fool, Theo kept her hand in his as he picked up her tray for her. “See? Not so bad!”

A creaking stage or an elegant ballroom wouldn't have mattered as she indulged in her small dance with him. The motion of twirling her about caused her apron to raise slightly, not a gown by any means but it didn't matter. The song ended and she found herself out of breath as he held her in the dip, her thumb brushing the side of his hand until he eased her back to a straight position. Bowing, she wasn't about to let go ahead of him before she had to, surprised to see just how well the crowd took to their little act.

"Not so bad at all," she agreed, squeezing his hand as she tacked on a small tease of, "Although I think we need some improvements. Someone was a little pitchy there at the end." Of course, neither of them were, but that didn't mean she was going to let him off this easily. She held her free hand out for the tray, not even registering the other had still yet to release him.

“Pitchy?” Theo scruffed his chin when she took the tray, swinging their locked hands in thought. “Then we practice!” he grinned. “Every Friday, we will sing song.”

The moment of teasing and playfulness, as delightful as it was, quieted when Theo felt a kind, firm hand on his shoulder. Theo turned halfway to see Jovan. While the young Russian rogue had no regrets, Willow did see the faces of the men as they exchanged words in their mother tongue, and saw in Jovan a tender concern etched in stoic resolve and Theo giving no resistance. Willow barely caught a word or two as the instruments of the Russian talent played behind them, but when they finished she heard, “Вы дали обещание. Не только для меня. Не будь к ней несправедливым.”

“Да, я понимаю.” Theo sighed deeply. Jovan left his side and Theo turned with an apologetic smile to Willow. “Sorry, I take too much time. We must go back to work.” He gave her fingers a gentle squeeze before letting them slide from his. Theo’s tray felt cold and heavy in his hands.

Even if the responsible part of her mind knew they shouldn't have been enjoying this as they had, she found it extremely difficult to care. Everything felt right with her hand in his, joyfully swinging about and planning future nights of their almost singing career. "I think I can schedule that," she smirked, "Maybe even get you to play a guitar to make it a real show."

The momentary fantasy of the two of them performing week after week was exhilarating. Even if it wasn't said as such, it felt like a promise in her heart. That promise was quickly scooted back two steps when Jovan stepped in. Willow didn't need to know enough Russian to realize the two of them were being brought back to Earth and his rules. While he was the one being addressed, her head dipped as well, knowing she was equally responsible.

"Back to work," she said, trying to give him hope to ignite the sparkle in his eyes once more, "We'll continue this planning later maybe?" An offer she wasn't sure if Uncle bear would approve of, but they could insist it was for the pub, right? Losing his hand hurt more than it should have, but she was determined to keep her head high as she stepped away and toward her tables.

The rest of the night was an outright blur, the orders seeming to speed up for drinks as everyone knew closing was near. Finally the last patrons were being eased out the door, a pair who had perhaps too many and were now joyfully singing a Russian tune while swaying. Willow chuckled as she and Molly saw them off, calling after that they'd best be careful. Back inside, each table was being wiped down and reset, to ease the morning start. "So, not bad for a late night," she told her friend, unable to mask a yawn that accompanied her words.

The suggestion of the guitar was well met. Theo managed to agree to talk about plans for consistent Friday shows before a few patrons called him over. By the time it was two in the morning the restaurant was cleared of people and set to rights. Grandpa Lyov talked with Jovan and the cousins, and Granya had not stopped trailing when her Aunt Natalia had to leave early.

“Поехали, пошли. Дядя Тео, я хочу кататься!” Granya tugged his sleeve.

“Да, я согласен. Потерпи! Иди подожди у двери.” Theo turned around and mussed her hair. “Я должен заплатить персоналу.”

“Feh!” She pushed off his hand and went to pout with Finn by the door.

About then Theo came up to them, a stack of cash for each, catching Molly’s reply to Willow as she stretched, “Stars, I’ll say!” She failed to stifle her own yawn. “I’m exhausted, my head is fuzzy, but man, that was some run. And you two sounded wonderful by the way. I’m tellin’ yah girl, you got to get in a play and invite Theo. You two will be legends on the stage.”

“Legends, eh? I agree.” He grinned. “Here, for this day.” Molly sang the words ‘Oh hot dam, that’s mah jam’, before leafing through to count out $350. Micha saw her gathering her things and came over to make his evening farewells to Molly. While they did that Theo said to Willow, “What is your doing Monday? Maybe you come to picnic at Pine Gully? We can talk Friday shows. . .and maybe a play.” Even Theo yawned here.

They weren’t the only ones. Bandit yawned awake, right out of Willows pocket. Bandit shimmied up Willow's arm and looked around the room with a fully charged body, ready to hunt and explore. After a quick greet from Theo, that is exactly what the ferret did.

She grinned at Molly's encouragement and Theo's confidence, shaking her head as she accepted her daily pay, with as much delight as her friend, just more internal. As much as this might have been more work than the International Shop of Fun, it paid endlessly better and she also enjoyed it infinitely more. The fact that she was getting paid to be even remotely near Theo was a treat in itself.

"I didn't have any real plans for Monday," she admitted, giving Bandit a few tiny pets that were really just swipes of her index finger. "Yes, you and me both girl." She'd be ready to pass out the moment she was in bed, no doubt."Are you sure a picnic isn't something that might...cross boundaries?"

Jovan's interjection to their earlier antics made her wonder if his offer was something that they'd be fine with. "I'll come as long as it isn't going to get you in trouble. To discuss our duets and maybe - maybe - a play. " It was a lovely thought, the picnic, a play, and in her exhausted state it almost seemed like a dream already.

“Oh, yes, yes, picnic is okay. Family will be happy to have you.” And so would Theo, but she would already know that. He readily agreed to the terms regarding the subject matter. Although, when he mentioned the play it sounded far more probable than a ‘maybe’. Theo playfully bantered over the issue of the play well until they got to the door of the honda accord.

Molly wished the others well and came jogging over, hearing them, and said, “Ok kids, save the talk for Monday, eh?” She hopped into the drivers seat. While she waited for the two to finish up, she sent a text to update Ethan about the night.

“Ah, fine.” Theo gave in. For the briefest moment he glanced back and his mind came up with a fun, flirty idea since he didn’t see Jovan watching, but, just as soon as it came to him, he sighed. He did promise. So, Theo decided to only set a comforting hand on Willows shoulder and smiled, “See you at noon tomorrow.”

The reassurance that she'd be able to join with causing an friction was a nice one. When they were walking in step out the restaurant it was hard not to take his hand, especially now that she knew how perfectly hers fit into it. Still, she resisted, that way she wasn't helping him break his promise any more than she already was. Stopped at Molly's car, she leaned against the passenger door, enjoying just a few moments longer.

Even just the weight of his palm had her in a drowsy state of heaven, sighing softly although her own was in contentment. "Until tomorrow," she promised him, placing her hand briefly atop of his before forcing herself to actually get in the car so they could leave. She stayed watching him as long as vision in the middle of the night allowed. Once they had pulled away, she sat back in her seat, grinning madly. "He's something, isn't he?"

“Oh honey, I don’t think we’re ready for how much of somethin’ this whole Russian family is, I mean, stars, I haven’t had this kind of fun during work.” Molly chuckled, tossing her phone into the cupholder. “Soooo, I’ll be lookin’ up the local plays just so you two can look them over on Monday. I mean, it’s two days away, but I say we should be prepared.”

=

Once Theo finished talking with Willow he went back into the restaurant and grabbed his helmet. Seeing this, Granya straightened happily. She followed her uncle out of the restaurant to his motorcycle. Finn saw the metal horse and immediately took flight, circling above them. Once Theo got on Granya hopped into place. She held tight to Theo’s waist as he zipped out of the parking lot. They took a tour around the streets, as promised. The girl howled with delight. Finn, like a white shadow, followed above them. While no one was looking, and because her favorite uncle wouldn’t say anything, she gripped her legs firmly and raised her hands in the air. The wind billowed her trench coat. She felt like the world grew smaller. The cities became stars, the trees dotted the earth like islands, and nothing but the wind could catch her.

As they buzzed around Granya shouted in Russian, “Uncle Theo, are you in love with this girl?”

Theo grinned, “We just met, silly shchenok, how could know that? But I would hope this time I am right. . .it does feel different.” Theo admitted.

“Do you. . .think she would be okay with us?” Granya asked, some wariness in her voice.

“I hope. . .” Theo did indeed.

“How do you find out?”

That, Theo didn’t know. How do you test someone’s feelings about something so wildly strange, and could be perceived as a threat? “How do you think, shchenok? What would you do?”

Granya shrugged, “I don’t know, Uncle Theo. I don’t know if I will ever be in love. . .I don’t know if I should, because of what I am.”

“Would you want to?”

That needed a longer time of thought and consideration than a single motorcycle ride around the block, but on instint Granya said, “Yes, I think.”

“Then don’t give up hope!” Theo looked back briefly. “Fight for future you want, Granya.”

Theo spend up, artfully popping a wheely.

“Woo! Again, again!” Granya shouted as they came back towards the Old Bear.

“Not tonight, little pup. Olympics is tomorrow and you will need sleep. Next week, I promise.” Theo laughed when he felt the head of his niece thump grumpily against his back.

Upon their arrival Granya met with Grandpa Lyov. The old man smiled to see his wind-swept nieces hair and the slump of her teenage shoulders. The kind that focused too much on when the fun ended, rather than savoring the gratefulness of the moment in memory.

Theo helped Lyov into the Lyft car with Granya. “See you home safe. I’m going to the docks.” He told them.

Granya bent forward, “Oh, I want to come!” At the refusal, she slumped back against the leather.

Grandpa Lyov set a comforting arm around her. “Hush, shchenok. Is time to sleep.” He insisted. “Be safe too, Theo. See you later.”

The car drove off. Theo watched until the tail lights faded in the fog. Once they were gone and Bandit came back to him, he rode all the way to the sea coast. Bandit jumped off of him to explore around the area. Theo closed an eye and stood in wait. Whatever gave him the idea it was all good, no one watching would know. Theo left his motorcycle and walked along the waters edge to a slope of sand. There he sat in the dark, the sky casting dim light. Fog began to rise from the water. The veil of mist floated towards him until no one would be able to see his form. Theo heard the slop of water over wet sand. The smell of seaweed filled his nose.

A watery, raspy voice belonging to an unseen being said, “Theodraeus. It has been some time.”

“It has, Kellsy.” Theo felt a chill up his spine when a cold, clammy hand touched his ankle. “You promised, Kell.”

“Do you think I have forgotten?” The tone chided. “What do you want?”

“I just thought I check in. It is been some time.” Theo said. “How are you?”

“You know how I am. You want to know how Olivia is, Theo. . .Do you want to see her?” The fog cleared only enough to see the shoreline and the kelpie, dripping green and dead-eyed. While this one's shape did not represent all of its kind, Theo noted that seaweed always accompanied their scent.

329b461ccf80a1d2289d610273eb0f63.jpg

a0479878ba3502235e095ed1ffa515ff.jpg

Behind her the water bubbled and the greyed, slick shoulders of a woman emerged first. Then the head raised. Strands of hair once silky and long, and touched with honey, now stuck wettly to the body of the woman. Her eyes, at one time bright with the light of the sun, stared ahead, empty of freedom. Some fangs poked through holes of her now pale, ratty lips. Whatever this creature was now, on all fours, part way from the ocean, Theo didn’t know, but couldn’t help but remember who she was, and wonder. . .wonder where it had gone wrong.

“Is it because I told too early?” Theo murmured.

The kelpie shrugged, if such a form could shrug, and said, “The matters of your kind are of no concern of mine. And lucky for you. We honor our agreements and are debts.”

Theo didn’t know what to do, or why he really came. Maybe to sober himself. To remind himself that he had been wrong and not to rush. There had to be a way to know if Willow was the kind of woman to be dazzled by the wonders of this world. Enthralled, enough to risk the game of an ancient creature of myth and legend. Theo had been too late. And perhaps too dumb to see the signs. “Kellsy, when will Olivia be free?”

“Did she not say?” The kelpie laughed sinisterly. “When the ground swallows the sea and the mountains bow to the wind’s howl. When the sands are counted. When the ice burns. Then her time here as my servant will end.” And to make sure he didn’t chide, Kellsy added, “This she knew and this she accepted.” The kelpie had no comfort to give, nor did she care to. “Unless there is a task you wish for me to fulfill, I must away to my lair, young Theodraeus. You are welcome to return. . .perhaps you will come with a visitor again.”

It was a jab, and it stung. Theo frowned, “Good night, Kellsy. . .” He stood. But as Olivia backed into the waters and the kelpie melted into the shadow of the sea, Theo said, “If ever you see Willow in the ocean, I forbid you to harm her in anyway, and I command you to help her if she is in danger.” Theo outstretched his arm and dug his fingers into his palm. Red drops fell, steaming into the air, and vanished.

Kellsy's face twisted in a sneer, but she nodded all the same.

As soon as the fog left Theo took up Bandit and went to the house. Taking care not to wake anyone, he got to bed and used a salve to help him fall asleep.

Last edited:
Molly left Willow with that friendly threat of a promise and the already disappearing night to herself. Heading into the beaten down building, she was having difficulty remembering the last time she had gotten home that late at night. It was no doubt a night much less wholesome than the one she had tonight, and probably infinitely less legal. She really had enjoyed herself, although with exhaustion wrapping about her, she moved like a zombie through the apartment, bumping her leg twice in the process, collapsing in bed after barely kicking off her shoes. Sleep came in an instant and the sweetest dreams of Friday night shows and picnics with her silky haired Russian rogue.

Saturday, September 23rd, 2017
As much as a part of her would have loved to sleep until eleven, the remainder had gotten used to being up before the sun. A compromise was met though, instead waking her just past nine in the morning. A shuffle about for coffee was deemed necessary, although it wasn't nearly as satisfying as an early morning meal seated with the entire staff. Her shoulders ached even though she couldn't determine why, muffled for the time being with a few kneads of her index and middle fingers. Forcing herself awake was made easier with the realization that she now was going to be busy on her first day off, meaning she only had a couple of hours if she wanted to get anything done before she was expected to report to the pub. Molly Malone would be wanting her overdue beauty rest, which meant she'd be off on a quick morning trip alone.

With all the carpooling she had done that week, getting into her own car as well as being on the left side felt abnormal. Thankfully, the engine let out it's typical sputter before coming to life and carrying her down the road to a nearby outlet. Willow didn't recall the last time she'd gone shopping for something she didn't need, but now with the beyond generous pay she was receiving, a small splurge seemed called for. She carried herself quickly through a few of the stores, stopping only to get some advice from a couple of the store workers. None seemed overly thrilled to be spoken to, and it only reminded her just how glad she was to have left that world behind. By eleven she was back at her apartment, wrestling silver wrapping paper over a medium sized with some difficulty. Her brows furrowed together until on the third attempt it was covered and didn't look too atrocious. She lacked her mothers grace with the art it seemed, although hopefully the contents would make up for the presentation.

A buzz on her phone told her that Molly was en route, meaning she only had a few more minutes to make herself presentable for the day. Grateful she had been smart enough to shower before her morning outing, a quick once over and bit of makeup to hide the fact she should have stolen another hour or two of sleep. Coming down to meet the familiar Accord, she had managed to miss a piece of tape and it's attached scrap of wrapping paper that had found a home tangled in her hair, just off her right side. Once inside, she tested just how ready her friend was after a late night. "Sooo......did her highness get enough sleep last night?"

That night Molly had dropped on the couch. Didn’t even make it to the bedroom. Thankfully she put an alarm on her phone to wake her a couple of hours before noon. Otherwise, she would have been late to pick up her friend, smelly, and foggy-headed. But as it was, Molly got in a long bath while watching a movie on her iPad she suspended over the tub using duct-tape and the neck of an old posable lamp. Those redneck rigs came in handy when you were poor. Of course, now that she was rollin’ in the dough Molly planned on getting a new apartment with a TV she could put in the bathroom!

“Stars girl, I did, but did you?” Molly grinned, flicking the paper. “Or did your Russian boy come in the night and unwrap you?”

A hint of blush that wasn't applied with a make-up brush appeared at her words. "No one came in the night," she protested, adding under her breath, "unfortunately.." It took her a few more moments to realize just what the unwrapping was, spotting the fleck of paper now added to the floorboards. "I was just doing some wrapping for a gift. Nothing special. And before you ask, no - it was not for Theo."

She swore that girl would turn up the desert to find a scrap of drama or gossip, rather than bother looking for any water. It made for interesting talk, though, and never a dull moment. Flipping down the passenger mirror that was mostly still intact, she did a quick check of her hair to make sure there was no tape or other scraps littered about. Not that she was horribly trying to impress a certain fellow server...but yes, she was.

“Uh oh, is there another?” Molly nudged as her car snorted into action. They swayed in that old familiar pattern down the roads as Molly took turns a little sharp.

It felt strangely warm driving in the daytime. Somehow Molly missed looking up and seeing a sky painted in pinks and reds and purples. One day she’ll have to paint a landscape. The idea to do a portrait of the Old Bear popped into her head right then. Oh wonderful! But she’d keep that to herself. It sounded like a great anniversary gift for Jovan and the others.

"Molly Mallone! You are absolutely incorrigible," the scold to her long-time friend was a light one, clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth a few times after. "I just got Granya a little something. She seems so timid, poor thing. Theo's mentioned her hobbies, so I thought maybe I could get her a little something." A gesture to show she was friendly, and also possibly to try and get on the good side of t he latest family member she had to meet.

As they drove about the streets, she contemplated the pattern they were now adapting to working at the pub. As far as jobs went, it was certainly her favorite in the past few years since she had finished her schooling. The pay far exceeded anything else, and she happened to thoroughly enjoy her coworkers. She would table her ambitions for the time being, focusing on building up her savings so she wouldn't ever need to consider help from her parents. Gradually building up a foundation for her own life while exploring the possibilities that Theo presented.

Molly winked from the side, not apologizing for any of it! A long adoring aw couldn’t help but escape her when the mystery of the gift had been revealed. “How sweet!” Molly asked what it was and thought well of the choice. “The girl was shyer than you.”

Summer before sixth grade Molly had gone camping in Washington state. The military had sent her family there. Dad worked all hours and her mom had her tutorship in some other state that year. She got signed up for Camp Wenatachee. Molly’s black mood followed her even up to the gates where she dug through a pile of mismatched luggage for her own green military issued duffel. A hand-me-down from her Pa. Arthur Malone, then Lieutenant Colonel, didn’t get a proper goodbye and Molly refused to look at him. The last thing he said, with a heavy sigh, “Just make it ten minutes without gettin’ into fisticuffs.” And then he marched off.

To her credit, she made it ten minutes.

Maybe it was the way the boy snickered at her unibrow. Maybe it was the callous around the nails of her manly hands or that her hair was cut messy and short. Whatever the reason, Molly glared when the kid pointed at her. “What you laughing at? Got a problem?” And that resulted in her first punch out of summer.

*Imagine a unibrow
063b517d55.jpg

The summer didn’t start off on the right foot. No Sir. Molly couldn’t sleep either. The boy gave as good as he got. Her lip throbbed. But now confound it all, did she hear crying? Was someone bothering somebody? Molly’s blood rushed. Not on her watch! She got up and took a look and that’s when her world changed. And Molly didn’t even know it then. A small girl sat on her bed, enfolded in her own arms, in the company of her own tears and loneliness. Now that got Molly. If it had been a kid she’d have taken a swing. But you can’t hit feelings. Molly approached her cautiously like she was a hunter on a deer’s trail. They traded names and Molly offered to help. Willow had not been without her brother or her nanny this long before, she told her. Well gee, that wasn’t something Molly knew how to fix. But, Molly did her best to comfort Willow. Saying she’d be her buddy if she needed it.

A friendship blossomed from that point on. Willow helped Molly stop the string on her bow from slapping her forearm red. Molly taught Willow Five Card Draw. They rode horses together. Molly wasn’t as good as Willow, and she was happy to improve with her new friend's instruction. Molly and Willow swam together, ate cold ice cream on the hotter nights out on the roof slant by their bedroom windows that overlooked the lake, and anyone so much as looked at Willow wrong got a fist in the face. Willow did help tame some of that southern temper, to the eventual delight of her parents. Molly showed interest in makeup but tried to hide it. Willow noted it one day and Molly admitted how her Pa wanted a son. He never said the words but she knew. So she’s avoided the girly stuff. Besides, she’s got that one brow and the thick fingers. Molly didn’t think much of herself when it came to fashion. Too awkward about it, and having a grumpy mood, she brushed the subject off, for the time being, muttering that girly stuff wasn’t her thing.

By the summer's end Molly felt the creeping reality that she may never get to hang out with Willow again. Not like this. They shared addresses though. Just in case.

They stole the bag of marshmallows meant for s’mores and hid at their favorite spot by the lake. Molly and Willow skipped stones and stuffed themselves until their belly’s hurt and their fingers got sticky. That night Willow said she wished she had a sister instead of a brother, “But only if she was fun, like you.”

Tearing up, Molly sniffed, “Aw gee, Willow.” She wiped her arm across her snotty nose. “Stars, I wish I had a sister too. But only if she was as nice as you.” They could have grown up dressing in pretty clothes and putting on makeup, coloring their fingernails, and wearing their mother’s jewelry for costume parties.

It was the first time Molly really thought about ceasing her efforts to be the son her Pa always wanted and not be ashamed to do any of that girly stuff. Molly thought she might even shave her legs. It would be years later, but Molly would go farther than that, she’d get those hairs zapped off.

They skipped stones until the staff came and dragged them back to their cabins. Molly felt lighter. That brightness stayed with her. And she even gave her Pa a hug when he came to get her.

Molly still thanked the Heavens she stayed in touch with such a good friend. And all she wanted was the best for her.

“Willow, it’s been a minute since I said I’m thankful for you, girl.” Molly flashed her a Texas smile as they pulled into the parking lot. “So-- I’m thankful for yah.”

Last edited:
The remark of being shy was met with a soft nudge on Molly's shoulder, not enough to disrupt her driving. "Well, I would have stayed shy of it wasn't for a certain someone. Now look at me, went on to school for acting and you don't see me being shy anymore." Well, she might have still been a bit reserved, but that wasn't the same.

The sentiment from her long time friend was unexpected but throughly accepted. "Aww, I'm glad I have you in my life too," she struggled sightly to say as sincerity caught in her throat. "Now don't you go making me cry before work. I don't need to worry about mascara dripping."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back