• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Spellbound

OOC
Here
Lore
Here
Micha’s spatula clattered to the floor, startled to hear Willow’s polite cough. “дерьмо!” He exclaimed to himself and hastily picked it up to switch it out for a clean one. “Eh heh, Willow, you creep up.” Micha pat his stomach in a comforting manner. He listened to the situation, “Ugh, Эти люди и их просьбы.” Micha muttered.

“Just do it.” Almalia laughed.

Micha sighed deeply, “No, you see clock?” He pointed to it and dramatically whirled the spatula in emphasis to Amalia. “Is no lunch time, ‘Malia.” He turned to Willow, “Tell them no. Breakfast is breakfast. If want khachapuri, they come lunch time.” At the mention of bliny he began to stack the thin sheets of chewy fluff, and through much grumbling, separated all the toppings. “Я говорю вам, кормление людей иногда разбивает сердце.” He handed the plate over to Willow, “Tell them I say ‘enjoy’.” Micha smiled, but the kind of smile that said if he had been the one to deliver the food, he’d tell them what a mistake it was to have his bliny this heretical way.

=

Molly agreed about the comment on the 9-5, and said, “I got to get Willow into some kind of local theatre play, or something, cause she needs a creative outlet.” She basked in the praise of the picture. “Thanks! And I do want to get classes on color theory.”

Just before she could give a witty quip and maybe a little puzzle about her name, an old woman called from across the room.“Myshka!” She waved her hand for attention, “More water, myshka!” Theo was too occupied and could not help.

Molly glanced back. “Be right there!” She got up, and said, “Uh, it’s Molly, haha. They just like to call me ‘little mouse’. Yah know, old women. Russian babushkas are like the grandmothers of the world.” She straightened out her apron. “See you around? I still want some fun stories I can use at parties about Willow.”

She threw her hands up defensively when it seemed like he was only extremely over reacting. "Sorry, Micha! I didn't mean to startle you," she said sincerely. He recovered quickly enough though, back to brooding over the request. "No, no I understand and I told her that up front. In place of the khachapuri she'd like bliny...but we need everything on the side." Watching him make up the special request order she couldn't help but grin, enjoying the borderline pouting while he worked. She wondered if Theo shared the same look as his cousin when left to do things he didn't enjoy; she'd have to test that theory at some point.

"Thank you, Micha," she purred back at him, accepting the plate and remainder of her order with a few bats of her lashes. Sarcasm was present, although not nearly as thick as he had laid it on. "I'll make sure they know that the chef sends his deepest love and that they are welcome to come back at any time and dissect his dishes." Chuckling, she turned to head out and present the request to the customer with only small apologies for the lunch limitation.

Moving onto her next table which was thankfully void of any abnormal requests or ridiculous questions, she caught sight of Theo out the corner of his eye. She admittedly delighted in watching him work, although it occasionally had a ripple effect on her own work.

"...hello?" the middle-aged woman she had been serving pried her for a response, snapping Willow to attention with a sheepish grin.

"Oh I am so sorry, I just lost my mind for a moment there," she apologized, but not before the other caught sight of what she had been staring at.

"Fair enough. I can't say I wouldn't do the same," she laughed, making her auburn curls bounce. "You're fine, doll. I just was asking if this was dairy free or not." So began the next four minutes of going through half the menu to try and accommodate for lactose intolerance, only daring to glance away for a few moments when Theo passed by again.

=

"Yeah, I'm honestly a bit surprised to see her here," Ethan admitted when talk turned for a moment to Willow. "She was so into all the school productions at Baylor I would have figured she was going to head straight to Hollywood. Hopefully she didn't lose sight of what she wants."

The call for her to return to work was met with a slightly disappointed sigh. Maybe looking for women at their place of employment wasn't the best strategy after all. Still, he got a name and he'd take it. "Molly," he repeated, testing it out. "I don't know, I think I might like little mouse more. But yeah, no I'll be by again. The syrniki was pretty good and I'm a bit smitten with the staff. Have a good shift, little mouse."

The exaggeration of what she'd tell the customers had Micha playfully mock a staccato laugh, his shoulders swaying from side to side as he flipped more Russian pancakes. "So funny, so funny." He gave Willow a grin before she left.

When Willow crossed paths with Theo again he had his hands handling plates and trays. "Oh, you are such pretty dish, how is you escape?" He teeter-tottered the arm full of food and tableware as he walked by.

Molly took the nickname in stride, and before she left she said, "You better be careful, Ethan. You spend enough time around here you'll end up with one of your own." She laughed. Molly went on to grab the pitchers of water and took her rounds around the tables.

Breakfast transitioned to lunch without too many issues. The break between lunch and dinner was as welcome as the salve on their feet. Micha had just finished his meal when he caught on that Molly had been speaking with Ethan. The lad hadn't gotten the chance to delve into just what was said between them when they had to return. Occasionally Micha tried to peek out the kitchen door. If Ethan had lingered at this time he would find the largest dog he probably have ever seen giving him a low growl just yards away.

Near the end of lunch another break was due, and Micha came to sit by Molly, trying not to be as obvious as he definitely was about Ethan and what was going on there. Instead she artfully dodged details, teasingly, and went on to say, “Willow, Ethan and I agree, you need to get into some local play, honeybun.”

“A play?” Theo leaned in interest. “You act?” He found that quite interesting.

Each time they passed the other while going about their tables, Willow could feel that surge of in-explainable excitement. He made her giddy when he wasn't trying and then when he did try she couldn't help but boast a ridiculous smile to make the rest of the room wonder what was on her mind. "I'm a special; just waiting on the right person to order me," she quickly retorted before vanishing to replenish a few drinks and pick up empty plates. He kept her on her toes and she liked to imagine she did the same to him.

As Ethan needed to return to his own job after a relaxed breakfast, he'd have to save the glares from Micha and company for another time. He did, however leave a note with his number, assuming it'd be Willow to pick it up as she had served him but with requests that a certain mouse receive it. When he became the topic at break, she pulled the napkin out of her pocket.

"Oh, speaking of people meddling in each others business, casanova left you his number," she responded to Molly's suggestions of acting, crumpling up the napkin and tossing it at her face, likely to poor Micha's dismay. "He seems to think you're a mouse, which clearly means he hasn't had a chance to listen to your delightful performance from earlier."

Leaving her to fume and deal with flustering Micha, she turned to Theo, sipping on her mug before nodding. "Oh, that's up for debate," she said with a small wince. "I went to school for acting and as you can see it is panning out beautifully. Why just this past week I had the star role as a waitress who had all but given up on silver screen dreams. But don't you worry, I'll have a return performance next week as well."

Standing from her seat, she made a production of a bow, her head dipping down low before returning to her seat with a laugh. "I don't have as noble of a pursuit as you do, but this is fine too. I'm actually okay with life right now," she decided, returning back to the tea.

The tissue bounced off Molly's cheek. "Oh stars, Willow!" She laughed. Molly flattened the napkin and typed the numbers into her phone. Micha peered over, catching sight of what was written. To Molly's momentary confusion she swore that the four had been a nine. Molly shrugged, thinking she may have been wrong and typed in the four. While she did this Micha complained that Ethan was too flirty, and how could she be interested in him? This she responded to with reasons, one being art, the other being he didn't overwhelm her like Micha, and he was easy on the eyes. They went back and forth about the validity of these 'reasons'. Micha posed that Ethan didn't seem the type to stomach the hunt, that Micha had the skills of a great cook, and his boldness could be turned down from eleven if it made her exhausted.

Finally, Micha frustratedly added, "I mean, do I have draw picture so you will consider me, Myshka?"

The idea was funny to Molly, who said, "You know what, why not?"

Micha stilled, holding her gaze, and then went to grab a pen and paper. He returned and set down a picture of a classic stick figure with a wobbly head and a scribbly body. "There, I draw picture."

"It's not very good..." Molly held it up and gave it a critical eye.

"You not say it must be!" Micha pointed out, grinning.

"Bless my heart, that's true." Molly had to admit. "Well stars, Micha, fine. I'll consider you--" he got entirely too excited, so she emphasized, "--remember that 'consider' doesn't mean 'decided'!" But he was too happy to listen.

The chitter-chatter of Micha and Molly's shenanigans took a side seat to the topic Amalia and Jovan discussed, which was about the ordering new menus, perhaps from Ethan. And of course, Theo paid almost no real attention to his cousins and uncle since Willow began to talk. When she bowed he clapped! His eyes drifted off, imagining Willow on stage dressed up like Christine Daaé, and him as the Phantom-- or Raoul, seeing as the Opera Ghost didn't get the girl in the end. Oh, what amazing performance she could give, he was sure of it!

Theo finished off his drink, "Art is give blood to life. What is to live for if not beauty? Why live if it is dreary world that we wake to? Theatre is art. It is meaning. It is. . ." Theo tried to find the words. "Spirit, to the body. Is noble, I assure you."

The should-be lovers quarrel earned little attention from Willow, idly eating her lunch with the time they were given to themselves. She'd likely offer up her opinion on the two men when Molly undoubtedly went off on a drive home tangent late that night, but until then she'd stay out of it. Well, aside of course from fueling the fire by supplying the number to get Micha to step up his game, less he be losing out on her to another man.

Theo's description of acting was indefinitely more captivating, clasping her hands in her lap as she listened to him. He was sincere, making her feel like her passion was worth something, contrary to her parents dismissing it as an overpriced hobby that wasn't going to get her far. He painted a lovely image, leaving Willow to hang on every word as her smile widened, resisting every urge to lessen the already small distance between them in that moment.

"That was beautiful," she praised him, her head tilting in adoration as she gazed at him. He was so multi-faceted that every day felt like she was finding something else she enjoyed about him. It was different than any of the dull courting she had endured to this point and was silently thanking Jovan for putting the brakes on them so she could have moments like this. "So you're going to save the children of the world, encourage worn-down waitresses and bless us all with your silky hair. Tell me what there is that you can't do, Mister Al-Zakhar?"

The Russian Rogue scruffed his chin in thought. “Am not good cook.” He offered. “Not good at crafts.” Thinking of what his niece was able to do. “I draw no so well.”

“Not good at staying clean.” Jovan cut him off. “Is ten minutes to dinner, go wash, Theo.”

Theo sniffed his pits and winced. “Fair!” He said, getting up. “Be right out to serve in minute.” Theo assured his thespian princess and went to the bathroom.

Amalia practically pulled Micha from his seat and his conversation with Molly. “Eh, you so strict on time, is not break, yeah? Look at clock--” She swirled her fingers at it in mock mimic of her brother from earlier. “Do you see, is dinner time! Get cooking!” She dragged her older brother to the kitchen counters.

Jovan and the others went to getting themselves ready for the long evening. Molly and Willow managed the front while they waited for Theo. He didn’t take too long, but the amount of people crowding the front had to have doubled by the time the Russian of the Silky Hair came out to wait on tables.

Autumn arrived, and with it the dusk came quicker. Lights roped between poles illuminated the waiting crowd. Jovan set up heat lamps and gave older people chairs to sit on. The outdoor seating had no trouble filling despite the cold. The people who came here were willing to wait a solid hour for a spot. All but one longer table near the bar and mini stage had been filled, and that table had a card placed on it that read ‘Reserved for Family’. Children ran around here and there, a few customers had brought their own animals, and some stowed instruments under their arms. The mini stage in the main hall of the restaurant switched out with various entertainments. Some Russian comedies, a few singers, a man telling an old Russian folk story, and even Amalia was called out to sing once.

Theo had been quite busy with his customers to be as flirty, but Willow did see two hair adjustments. However, she had as many people to deal with! Molly, Willow, and Theo took turns at the podium, with Jovan stepping in too. The size of this Friday crowd truly flummoxed Molly, who asked, “How are we going to handle of them?”

“Natalia come soon, and so is Grandpa Lyov and my great-niece Granya. They help.” He assured them. “Should be here-- ah! There! Natty, come to podium!” He waved her over.

Dressed in common clothes for the very job, Natalia hurried through the crowd to take Molly’s spot at the podium. “I’m sorry, there was a sick cat.” She explained. “Here, I will take over. Go wait the tables.” She didn’t have to say it twice. Molly left only a word of gratitude.

“Where's Grandpa Lyov and Granya?” Natalia asked as she started writing down customer names and number of people. Pippin, the marmoset, peered down from where he had tucked himself, snug in the folds of Natalia’s collared shirt.

“Late. I will call.” Jovan said. The ole Russian got out his cell and did just that, standing off to the side nearest Willow’s section that had a quieter corner. Still, he had to speak up. “Hello? Grandpa, where is--- she what? Tell her to get on phone. . .Tell her I will take the wifi off if she doesn’t-- yes, yes, I know.” Jovan’s half of the conversation amused Theo who passed him by for a stack of napkins. “Tell her-- you know what, put on speaker, put on speaker-- yes. . .GRANYA! Я буду тащить тебя за загривок, как щенок, если ты не придешь сюда!, ok?” There was a pause with him nodded in frustration. “Da, Вы можете ездить на мотоцикле с Тео после. Я обещаю. Теперь давай сюда.” Jovan hung up the phone and put it in his pocket.

Not twenty minutes went by when Natalia saw an greying man with an eye patch and a young girl in an oversized trench coat, clearly for an adult man, coming up to the doors. A large white raven sat on the young girls shoulder.

Lyov
6e9f4b74ef8fb366c9ee8cbc5dd1f196.jpg

Granya
c56ed32a159f464ea8dc9838e75641ce.jpg

Natalia smiled delightedly, “Grandpa, welcome.” She kissed his cheek. “Where’s Shale?”

“Is sick, getting old.” Grandpa Lyov explained. “Is new girl here?”

“Yes, she will be your waitress.” Natalia smiled. She looked down at the timid girl who shrunk to become the older mans shadow. Or, she’d have liked to be, at least. Aunt Natalia pulled her niece towards her in a hug. “Oh, Granya, don’t be so off-put. It’s not like we make you leave the house everyday. Come sit.” She had the customers wait while she walked with the two towards the vacant table with the reservation card.

Granya peered through lowered lashes at all the many, loud people. Her shoulders tilted toward her Aunt like Natalia was some kind of umbrella to hide her from the sun. When they got the the chairs Granya sat by her Grandpa in the seat with the least light. Though the shadow of the taxidermied grizzly bear cast over her, the light of the room danced prettily in her emerald eyes, which were the lighter, more vibrant kind than her Uncle Theo. The raven kept a watchful eye on the crowd.

“I will let Willow know you’re here.” Natalia said. When Natalia went back to the podium she saw her, and said, "Willow, the revered table in your section is ready. You will be attending Grandpa Lyov and my niece, Granya. Oh, and let Micha know she brought Finn with her-- her raven-- he'll give some food for the bird too."

Last edited:
Ever pleased with the grumpy uncle's interjections, Willow chuckled and saw him off. Clearing the mess was left as with days prior so they could move to the front side of the pub. The growing numbers were daunting, but she had to imagine they'd be able to manage just fine. After all, they'd been doing it with two less waitresses for some period, so increasing staff should have made it smoother. Similar to the Russian courter, she took the opportunity to put her hair up, although it was more of a functional necessity than a display of restrained affection.

Natalia was welcome relief for the front, meaning they could heed more attention to the customers who were in. The soft chitters of Pippin were a welcome distraction for the brief moment he was in sight. Her heart went out to the cat she hadn't even met, along with tremendous respect for someone who could handle being around such sweet creatures that were in pain. Her own tolerance for seeing others in pain limited, even the furred companions.

Moving around the pub, seating and taking orders that were rushed to the kitchen became a whirlwind of actions. On more than one occasion she nearly bumped into Molly as the two passed each other, although skillfully free of any mishaps. While she enjoyed the couple of signals from Theo, it felt like she couldn't properly appreciate them, forced to move on to the next waiting task. She was jotting down an order when she got to overhear another round of Jovan barking, mildly pleased that it wasn't directed at her and Theo for once, although she quickly felt bad for young Granya as she seemed she was being told to come or else.

When Natalia came over to get her attention, Willow had just finished helping a single mother wrangle up three rambuctious little ones, getting the two smaller ones strapped in to help free up her hands. Accepting the gratutious smile and grabbing her drink order, she followed direction to check on the awaiting family, although a part of her gnawed that she was picking a frantic moment for a first impression. Not about to leave them waiting, she wove through the crowded restaurant to see Lyov and Granya seated. Swallowing her nerves, she approached them from Granya's free side.

"Evening!" she said as cheerfully as she could manage without seeming over-the-top. "I'm Willow and I'll be here to help you with anything you might need." Her dark eyes scanned over the clearly withdrawn niece who was beside her. She seemed reserved and the reasons why gnawed at her, although it was no place to inquire and certainly not from a young girl. "Can I start you with drinks? Maybe some seeds or meat for Finn." A nod in the direction of the raven and silent thank you to Natalia for that tidbit of information.

A quick flash of jade told Willow that Granya looked her way, but no sooner did they peer up than did they drop to the cloth napkin in her hands. Her thumb scritch scratched the corner of it. Tiny threads loosed with each drag of her nail. Finn’s large pale, albino eye stared at Willow in evaluation, and just as silent as the girl on which he sat.

"Где дядя Тео?" The words, directed at the old man, were barely caught over the din of the Friday night dinner crowd.

Grandpa Lyov turned with a smile to Willow. She could see where Theo got his grin. “Granya is being trouble sometime; stubborn, like Theo. She is shut-in, so she is sour she is come. And she is protest speaking English. Take no offense.” He explained to their lovely waitress. “I would like schi and pirozhki. If you tell Micha this little shchenok is here, he will know what to get the both of them.” Lyov’s hand plopped onto the curls of her head and wiggled. Her body yielded to the sway, though not willingly. The flat, displeased expression made that clear enough, as well as a subtle grumbling that might as well have been the growl of a little whelp.

Finn suddenly ‘CAW’d once, breaking his gaze from Willow.

“Дедушка, мне это не нравится!” Granya pushed off the large bony hand from her head, though she kept it, finding comfort in the hold on her lap. Again the emeralds darted up and at Willow, and this time the woman was able to glean from those eyes several possible thoughts behind them.

Maybe worry? Had the divulging of personal information painted Granya in a certain light to this new woman who had become a person of affection to her Uncle? Perhaps it bothered her that this now would be the first impression. Or curiosity, for the fact that this stranger did catch her Uncle’s eye? Maybe trying to find out what about Willow Theo saw that he liked, something Granya could understand? Maybe it was simpler. Maybe she was just an introverted girl who had trouble meeting new people.

Whatever the case, Granya focused on her Grandpa’s hand now, tip-tapping his fingers busily and without a clear purpose.

Grandpa Lyov chuckled, his one good eye, milky blue, twinkled, “And bring a pitcher of beer, I am thinking.”

Last edited:
There wasn't much offense to be taken when Granya appeared to want nothing to do with her. While she might have been able to handle squirming, screaming children with some dignity, Willow hadn't dealt with a teenager since she was one. The comparison was likely without merit, seeing as she also hadn't been raised by a grandfather and uncle and toted to pubs when she didn't want to. The growing desire to learn more of their family and history was present but pocketed for another time.

"Oh no, that's just fine. I know what it's like to be forced out of the house," she assured Lyov, glad that at least someone was responding ot her. Granted, her own situation of being forced out wasn't quite the same, but for the sake of relating to a withdrawn girl it would have to do. "I can get your order in right away though, and I'm sure Micha will have them done in no ti-"

The loud caw caught her off guard after how quiet the crow had been, making her jump, inhaling sharply. A sheepish smile spread as she gathered herself. Met with those familiar but different eyes, her lips curled from embarassment to a more sincere facade. Poor girl looked so out of her wits to the point Willow was considering telling Theo they needed to let her stay home if this put her off so. The prolong moment ended though, and she was left to return her gaze to Lyov.

"Of course," she nodded, giving Granya a final unmet gaze before turning to make sure the guests of most importance would be tended to in a timely manner. She paused by Jovan to request the pitcher of beer, figuring she could grab it on her way back from stopping at the kitchen. "Granya didn't say what she'd want, but I'm assuming you never forget an order. Maybe something that's her favorite? It seems like she's not in a great mood," she offered the girls great uncle, although after he had to coerce her there in the first place he was likely well aware of that.

Jovan grabbed a glass pitcher from the freezer where it had been chilling. He stuck it under a beer tap and pulled the lever. Dark liquid poured from the spout as he peered over to see his father and great-niece at the table. Finn huddled against her curls, some of which tumbled over its huge pearlescent feathery body. Jovan appeared satisfied. “She will have water. Maybe shot of milk.” He thought it over, and considered aloud that he may pour her an eight-ounce cup of coconut water. Then he addressed the mention of her mood. “Yes, Granya is grumpy we drag her outside of house and make her speak English. Friday dinners, Monday picnics, an hour of sun a day-- but she must.” Jovan used a long metal tool to swipe off the bubbling foam of the pitcher and he set that down before getting out the cup for some coconut water. “She spends too much time crafting and going on the wifi with friends. She need to be apart of world. She will be on her own one day.” Jovan then scooted both drinks towards Willow. “There you go.”

Willow digested his words like clues to the teenaged puzzle she was working to solve, nodding her head. It didn't seem uncommon in any culture for young people of her age to withdraw from the adults, not generally feeling that accepted and still being treated like a child. She pocketed the information for future use, taking the pitcher and glass from him. "Perfect, thank you Jovan," she bid him farewell before scooting toward the kitchen.

A quick rearrangement of the beverages and she was able to tear her ticket off the pad and add it to the row of waiting papers. "Micha, order is up for Lyov. He said you'd know what to make Granya. No pressure," she called, amused by the connection the extended family seemed to have with each other. She was pretty certain she couldn't have named a meal her brother even enjoyed these days, let along if she ever had a niece or nephew what that might be.

With the order in Micha's trusted hands, she brought the beer and coconut water back to the long table that was strangely empty for the size. She wondered if others were still on the way. She set the large pitcher down in front of Lyov she was mindful not to spill a drop; that was all but a law in the pub for some of the goers. Once it was on a secured, flat surface she produced the coconut milk, putting it before Granya with hopes that the offering might soften up her tough shell.

“Ah, ‘Malia, Grandpa and little shchenok is here. . .” Micha called back to his sister through the steam and the clanking of cooking. Their voices faded as Willow left, but she thought she heard Amalia say she was on it.

Theo passed then, missing Willow by a breath, but he happily breathed in the trail of her scent as she went walking on her way. The man smirked to see Granya shifting uncomfortably. The best kind of teases were sometimes indirect. If Granya wanted to have all her questions answered, he’d let her have the opportunity! How delightful, and oh so coincidental, that this night Willow had been assigned to their familie’s table. A wicked, kindly chuckle escaped him as he went about his work.

The old man, glad to take a deep sip, sighed in contentment before saying, “Thank you, lapochka.”

Granya’s nose seemed to turn before her head did, like it guided her to the treat. While still quiet, her hands reached out for the cup without hesitation, even for the closeness to Willow’s hand. Those slender fingers brought the beverage to her body first, lingering there as if it was a gift to be savored for merely having it. “Можно соломинку?” Again, the words were hard to hear, but Willow recognized it as Russian.

Grandpa Lyov nudged his granddaughter, “Say it in English, shchenok.”

A brief argument over it ended with Granya giving in, looking up, holding an unsteady gaze, “May I have a straw?” The grammar was correct. Natalia’s influence, perhaps. But the thickness of the accent gave away exactly which language was her first.

Last edited:
Relief flooded to see just how kindly Granya took to the sweet drink set before her, glad she had made a point to press Jovan gently. She'd take her time slowly earning acceptance from the young girl, who seemed to be the only resistance she had met so far in the family. She was also grateful that Lyov spared her of the usual apologies that she couldn't speak Russian whenever it was used for communication.

At the question, Willow didn't hesitate to produce one paper-wrapped straw, offering it to her directly rather than placing it on the table. "Of course you may," she responded gently. It felt a lot like the time she had approached a fawn in the woods. Her motions were slow and purposeful, not wanting to spook the girl as she went about her normal work. Thankfully this interaction wouldn't end like the one with the fawn, where her father said he only let her approach the animal because it was still too young to be worth a bullet. Mercy, he called it.

"Is there anything else you need? Anything I can try to get you before I head back to the other tables for a round?" she asked, her gaze only shifting to Lyov for a moment before back to Granya.

Silently Granya put the straw into her drink and dipped her head briefly for a sip. When she lifted her head to speak the end of her straw had been a bit flat, with small nibble marks on it. “A few more straws, please. . .and napkins.” Granya managed to say, and a little louder this time, with a steady gaze, though she soon dropped it to her drink. Finn twitched his head side to side, getting a clearer view of Willow. His feathers puffed as any content bird would do.

Grandpa Lyov set a proud hand on his granddaughters shoulder, “Yes, napkins. A thick stack.” He demonstrated by his pointer and thumb two inches apart.

"Order up, Willow!" Willow heard, Micha's voice.

Grinning at the modest request, she pulled out a small handful of straws from her pocket, setting them down beside Granya. Timid, but not as fearful as she would have imagined. "Don't worry, I have you covered," she assured her, reaching down to another deep pocket of her apron, she produced a stack about half the size requested, placing those between them.

The sound of their order already being done was a bit surprising, although imagined they were hardly impartial when it came to the order they cooked if family was involved. "I'll be back with more," she assured them, dipping away and heading to the kitchen, only pausing to pick up a fork from the ground that a child had decided they were done with.

At the window to kitchen there were already plates waiting. Loading up the savory dishes om to a tray, she threw Micha a teasing glance. "You should add this to your list of reasons Molly should pick you; prioritizing people you have a soft spot for. She loves being pampered even if she won't admit it."

“Ah, yeah?” Micha grinned over at Molly who was arguing with a patron about the same issue over some menu discrepancy. Apparently this man ‘came from the old country’ and didn’t appreciate the chef’s rendition of some traditional dish. It normally resolved itself. “Do not worry, I will pamper away as soon as I can.” He wiggled his brows and turned a moment to set the last item on the tray. “Is for table twelve, and family table. Table eleven coming up soon.” Micha gave her a heads up. “How is Granya? Is she speak English?”

Willow recognized the classic Russian food old Lyov ordered, but it was the other plate that did not match the usual appearance of Micha’s food.

Shashlik were grilled cubes of meat on skewers. They were usually dusted with fragrant herbs. The meat was tender, yet kept their form. Shashlik were always served with a condiment cup of dark, savory liquid.

This shashlik gently sagged from being lightly seared. Instead of the usual pleasant aroma of herbs, only a few pinches of salt were scattered over the juicy hunks of meat, and the pungent smell of cooked meat steamed off of them. The four of them sat in a pool of fat, blushed pink. On the side were softened carrots, buttered with salt, topped with some toasted garlic slivers, as well as a small pile of lightly salted fried potato medallions. A dollop of sour cream garnished with celery leaves served as a dip.

Last edited:
Willow momentarily examined the food she was delivering, separating it on her tray from the additional order that was going out at the same time. He apparently did know her order very well, that Granya was more of a picky eater. "Yes, she's speaking English to me - although I'm pretty sure that's only at your grandfather's insistence," she informed him, finishing her tray and heading back out to the main dining area after a brief stop to refill her napkins one handed.

She first visited table twelve, dropping off a few dishes and promising to return with refills, she saved the family table for last. Setting down Lyov's plate with practiced grace, she gave warning that everything was still hot. Granya's plate soon followed along with an additional smaller stack of napkins for the table. The entire time at the table, she was mindful not to bump into Granya's chair or do anything that might have the white raven cawing at her again. While she didn't despise birds, it felt like she and the avian community had a shared disapproval for each other. Then again, every other family members animal seemed to warm to her, so maybe Finn would be nicer than the turkeys who had chased her in younger years.

"From the kitchen with love," she announced before stepping back. "Anything else before I leave you to enjoy the good food and good music?"

"No, nothing else." Lyov assured her.

Granya happily took a stick of shashlik and ate two bites right away. Finn’s head, jerking in the way that birds do, bent low and gently tapped Granya’s chin with his beak. The girl pulled off a cube of meat, tore it into pieces, and handed each to the raven, one by one. Then she took a napkin and cleaned her hands of the drippings.

Grandpa Lyov praised Willow in Russian as he took a spoonful of his meal. But that was all he did. In fact, Lyov nudged Granya, “Not too much, we wait.” He reminded her.

The girl sighed and slumped back against her chair. Finn fluttered in irritation. The back of the chair bumping his tail feathers. WOOSH! Finn took flight, soaring inches above Willow. He circled the restaurant, startling Molly who was still engaged in heated debate with some old Russian man. The raven came back to perch on the head of the grizzly bear.

Lyov chided the raven for his rude behavior, “Sorry about Finn, he’s old too. Ha ha. Why don’t you sit with me when family dinner begins?”

It quickly became apparent just what the abundance of napkins would be needed for. Apparently feeding a raven would be quite the messy ordeal, although still not as much so as Bear's daily feedings. She was tempted to ask just what they were waiting for when Finn threw his winged tantrum, an involuntary ducking in order just in case. The turkeys might not have flown at her head, but she had gotten a good look at the talons of the albino raven and respected their power.

"Oh, it's fine. I feel that this place would be boring if it wasn't for one animal or another making itself known," she assured him, thinking back to Bandit's stowaway journey earlier that week. His offer of sitting beside him was met with torn feelings. She did want to get to know as much as she could of Theo and all of his family, but would that mean she wouldn't be at Theo's side? It had become such an innate part of each meal that the thought alone felt unsettling. Still, Lyov seemed kind and it seemed Friday dinner was quite the ordeal. "Of course! I have to see to my other tables now, though. Please let me know if I can get you or Granya anything though."

The exact evening schedule hadn't been spelled out to her or Molly, but she had to imagine that it was similar to lunch on other days, save for they weren't taking the meal in the kitchen. She hoped that wouldn't mean people would grow restless seeing their waitresses or waiter sitting a few tables down when they needed a refill on a drink or some other necessity.

Grandpa Lyov assured her he would. They had nothing to ask for now and they waited patiently for the rest of the family to join. Theo glimpsed Willow through people shuffling to and from the stage, and his smile was just as warm and delighted as ever to catch her eyes with his.

Jovan called out to Willow, saying, “It is nearly ten, let tables know. Only drinks soon.” And those would, of course, be served after the family had their fill and were satisfied. Jovan was about to tell Willow to let Molly know, but she was currently occupied.

“Эта девушка, вы можете ей поверить?” The old man pointed at Molly with his thumb, clearly speaking to the person next to him who had no interest in engaging them. Then he leaned at Molly, speaking aggressively to her. “Вы ничего не знаете о русской еде!”

Red cheeked, and tired of him, Molly practically yelled, “Eh bien, je ne suis pas venu travailler ici pour servir vos bêtises, Mr. Checkov, donc vous pouvez vous asseoir et manger ou sortir!” At his perplexed, offended blinking she crossed her arms haughtily, “What? Can't understand me? Yeah, you're not the only one that can speak another language, Mr. Checkov! How’d you like that?" Molly started scribbling on her pad. “So you want the usual or not?!”

Bitterly Mr. Checkov crossed his arms and grumbled, “Da, usual.”

“Good, I will have that up for order.” Molly exasperatedly walked off to the kitchen.

Jovan waved at her, “Almost ten, only drinks soon. Let tables know.” He told her.

Molly asked, “Do I put these orders up?” She had two tickets.

“Yes, yes, we have some time to cook and for them to eat. Just warn them.”

While they finished up shifts and let the customers know what was going on, Micha and Amalia began to bring out dinner for the staff and family at the table where Lyov and Granya sat. They set up a sign indicating when drinks would be available, in case anyone was new, and took their places. Molly plopped across from Lyov, shaking hands with him and saying a hello to the awkwardly quiet Granya. Micha seated himself beside Molly. Granya and Micha shared a smile and a few words in Russian. When Amalia came over she went around to grab her niece into a hug before sitting besides Micha.

Theo did his duty for his tables and sneakily took Willows hand on the way to sit. “Glad to be seeing you get along with them.” he grinned. Theo’s steps were a little slower than normal. They’d be later than Jovan at this rate, who was tying up a few details at the bar.

Knowing she wasn't going to be separated from Theo, Willow was heading back toward the kitchen to snatch up her last order that was waiting when she caught sight of him. She couldn't help but grin back at the goof of a man, forcing herself to move on so work could finish. They'd have plenty of time for shared looks and the like when they weren't dealing with the still large crowd.

Jovan's orders to warn the guests were taken with a bit of joy. She was ready for a break; even if her body wasn't aching in protest, her stomach certainly was! Weaving through the tables, she made sure everyone was set for the time being and those who wouldn't be staying later were set to pay and be on their way. She caught sight of Molly and her ongoing battle with the same customer that she had ran into a couple of times in the past week. He was brash but so was her friend as was demonstrated.

Things were coming together and everyone seemed situated when she found herself in pace with the man who was sweet on her. Any threats of Jovan's glares or growling were suffocated out by the delight she felt when her palm slipped into his. He was like a warm sleeve to her, and she despised the fact that it was giving her butterflies while living for it at the same time. "Your family? Of course. I hope Granya's just shy though, she didn't seem to want to talk very much - even with Jovan's coconut milk!" But she was probably just overthinking things.

"Any more of your family I need to be tested with before you can decide if you'll put up with another week of waiting?" she questioned when they were a few tables away.

“Yeah,” Theo drew out the word, chuckling. “Granya is hermit.” That was the best description for her. “But you see, warm up to you. Is going fine. Maybe you come around to visit house, maybe do some crafts.” Theo thought aloud, almost to himself, though these were things he definitely meant for her to think over. It was in his eyes, the hope he had for Willow to make bonds here. As for the question about anymore family, he laughed-- dare she think, maybe nervously? But that could be the music in the background distorting his gravelly tone. “No, no-- eh. . .no, we have no-- there is no more here.” He assured her. On the more exciting subject of dating, he said, “I put up many more days if it mean I can take you out at end of them.” He winked. “Thankfully is only wait till the next Sunday.” Theo was indeed grateful that the time seemed to be coming to a close. A handful of days left!

Their pace got the attention of Jovan and Theo used the advantage of his form to obscure their hold, though that didn’t stop his Uncle from saying. “What are you, turtles?”

Willow laughed at the idea, thinking the young girl was hardly a hermit. If anything, she seemed like a relatively normal teenager to her, save of course for her feathered companion. "Crafts would be nice. Oh, did she like the kit you bought her? The um...soap making kit?" she questioned, thankfully still a ways from the table for him to shush her down and likely tell her just how close to Granya's birthday they were. Sworn to secrecy, she shared his thrill in knowing they'd nearly made it halfway through their enforced trial period. Without realizing it, she had squeezed his hand, although the her smile changed to one of someone who had a different sort of secret as they were called out by Jovan. Their hands behind Theo's back felt like the best secret there was.

"Just making sure everyone is happy," she offered, regrettably coming to her seat beside Lyov. She let go of his hand, moving to take her seat - no doubt with Theo's assistance - all while trying to determine just how much having the additional three bodies at the table would be compared to prior work days. Lyov was a worn albeit sweet man, and she couldn't imagine he would be any more tolerant of the cousins bickering or Micha's enless pursuit of Molly.

“Yes, she loved them! Even sold a carved one for seventy-five dollar.” Theo managed to tell her before he took his place beside her. Because, of course he would! Sure, he had to squeeze past Jovan and the following stare, but once he actually got his butt in the seat and began filling his plate, he felt more at ease. Especially since Jovan had gotten in conversation with Natalia. Can’t blame a father for having the chance to reminisce with his daughter.

Lyov was steady at work with his soup, but he did greet Willow warmly. Granya, on the other side of him, peered briefly at Willow, but when they met eyes she flickered a smile and vanished from view again.

Amalia was half-turned, talking to an old patron, while Micha eased on an elbow to talk to Molly. However, he hadn’t learned all things just yet, and when he went to speak she gave him the kind of look that said if she didn’t get the chance to eat first, she was going to bite him, and not in the way he’d like. Micha put his hands up for peace as he allowed the little mouse to have her cheese. As soon as Molly’s stomach got a quarter full he got chattin’.

Not too much had changed. Conversation flowed pretty well, Theo did his usual to speak with Willow, but whenever Grandpa Lyov went to speak to Willow-- how is she liking it here; are they treating her well--Theo respectfully quieted. When Grandpa Lyov wanted a tissue, or if he needed help to drink when he couldn’t get his fingers tight around the cup, either Granya or Theo would help, and of course they wouldn’t stop Willow if she happened to assist. In fact, Theo felt a warm spot grow in his heart whenever he saw her do that kind of thing.

Tenderly, Theo brushed a loose hair off her cheek and tucked it behind her ear, “I think beautiful is a dull word, for the kindness I see in you.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back