• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Something else [Rae & Disney]

I'd assumed the girls were friends of Melanie, so I left her there while I skipped ahead in line to purchase the wrist bands for free rides and shorter waiting times. It took a few minutes, but not long enough for me to mss the awkward silence, thick and answering as Melanie asked why no one invited her.

Ouch, I thought and winced, noting the women who stood there, quiet and blank faced. My arm instinctively wrapped back around Melanie's waist, whilst I slipped the little pink wrist band over her wrist, racking my brain with what to say. But amongst the screaming children and whoosh of circling coasters, I just didn't know what to.

Why wouldn't they invite her? She seemed jubilant and excitable to me, like a great girl to be around. Was this one of those pack versus the outsider moments?

"Come on, Mel..." I squeezed her gently, urging her forward, my eyes squinted in the harsh sun light. I hoped she wouldn't be too upset...

But then again, I wouldn't blame her.

---

Amongst all the oppression, the heaviness of the atmosphere, the seriousness of the topic, the sincerity of his voice, my trickling tears- I giggled a genuine giggle, a sound so out of place within the moment.

"Only if you have a magic carpet to go with that quote," I told him, and childishly grinned despite my rheumy eyes, unable to handle one more drop of seriousness tonight. He wasn't the only one prone to humor in a heavy situation.

"...I trust you, Max, and... I really, really love you. I promise. You know I do, you're the only person I've ever really been with," I sighed, pressing a million little kisses to his cheek, and gently combing my fingers through his hair. "I just have to recover from all the damage my stupid past caused. Please don't think my feelings are directed at you specifically, you're amazing... I just get scared... And I'm working on it, really... I'm... messed up, and... a little broken..."

"...But we will have children, and start our dream family- Cause I know you'll be the perfect husband and daddy, and I wanna be your wife, and little Max's mom. Okay? And I won't make you wait long... in fact... we can start trying right after we're married. Which, isn't that far away... It's not a compromise, I....I want what you want. I just... need a little time."

And although I expected to be a nervous wreck after promising him that, I actually felt relieved, like perhaps I'd said the right thing, for both of us. I hadn't lied at all- I wanted this family he talked about, and I'd be damned if my father's negligence to me, breaks up my potential, perfect future. If Max could just understand I need... reparations...

Mel;

I tried not to dwell on the obvious diss for too long and just enjoyed the moment. All that I wanted to worry about was whether or not I would throw up on the rollercoaster.

As we made line for the coaster, I nibbled on the last of my cotton candy and confessed, "I have never been on a rollercoaster before, and I am kind of freaking out and excited about it."

I didn't want to tell him, but I never even had been to a theme park before in my life. Not even Disneyland or Disney World, which everyone has been to at some point.

But Dad was busy with his girlfriends, and mom was busy with her alcohol. So I could only look at pictures from Rae's Disney trips and daydream, Rae wondering why on earth I was so fascinated.

Max;

I could only wipe the tears from her face and kiss her forehead, knowing that sometimes it was best to be silent and just pull someone in for a hug.

So that's what I did. I hugged her for I don't know how long, but I knew it could never be long enough.

I will never know fully what Rae went through her entire life. I never needed to worry about or go through the things she did.

Underneath that charismatic smile and fun personality was a little girl who had been hurt, who had lost hope in dreams coming true and happily ever afters. But she wanted to believe.

And because I loved her, more than anything, I would do my best and give my everything to help her believe again.

"Hah, really?" I asked her, watching the line inch forward at a snail's pace. We'd been able to move up further ahead, but not by that much, and even with the ride only lasting about thirty seconds, it seemed like we just couldn't get there fast enough.

"This one's relatively calm. If you like it, we'll turn it up a notch. If you feel sick, though, tell me, alright? I don't want you getting sick," I told her, shushing the inner child that was so eager to hit everything that spins and loops. "There's booths, a carousel-" I murmured the last part, reluctant to ride something like that, "Ferris wheel, x or sort.of tea cups... we'll find things to do. This place practically has an island dedicated to it."

A good twenty minutes passed and finally, finally, we were permitted strap ourselves in. A multi colored rail stretched out a few hundred feet, with three hills that went both forwards and backwards, and only one loop, but you went through it twice. It over looked a bit of the lot, but wasn't nearly as high as the other towering coasters, like the thunderbolt, golden bullet, or the heart stopper.

The cars with several rows of seats inched down and came to a screeching halt, dizzy riders and a few kids screaming 'again, again!' exiting the station. I rocked back and forth from my toes to my heels once, twice, eagerly slipping in beside Mel and lowering the handle bars over our chests. There was a seat belt, too, so I leaned over and fastened hers first, securely. My hands gently fumbled with the lock, trying to click the belt together without grazing her waist, which was both awkward and provoked my blushing.

"Sorry," I laughed a little, staring at her for a moment before I pulled back, and fastened myself in. "As Max says, 'Its funner if you raise your arms up'!"

---

Man, I really ruined the vacation. Max didn't deserve all this. Yet here he sat, when he could have just as easily blown me off and gone to catch up with Zachary and Melanie. I wondered how she was doing, she had a hell of a childhood, too, but Melanie had a way of controlling herself and pushing through it, even with a mask of contentment, she was still persevering; unlike me, the woman who was always over thinking, and on the defense. I knew my best friend had a hell of a life, too, probably worse than mine from the stories I'd heard growing up with her, but at least she wasn't making Zach miserable with it.

"...Can we still do something fun? Or do you wanna go hang out with Zach and Melanie? I don't mind, you can go if you want," I told him wearily, rubbing my eyes and sighing as my fair skin was streaked with running, black mascara. Cause that was attractive. "Either way, I think I'll take a walk. Maybe go to that aquarium and pet a sea lion... Wanna come? A stroll on the boardwalk might be nice, we can split a pizza... or not."

Mel;

"Oh, okay." I said, a little nervous, but slowly raising them up. I tried to remember how it was done on those Six Flag commercials and prayed I was doing it right.

"Like---" I started, when the ride started. "-----thiiiiiiiiiiis!!!??" I screamed, feeling the pull of the coaster and my heart doing cartwheels.

"Oh my God!" I yelled, terrified and overjoyed all at the same time. "Oh my God! Oh, wow. Okay, holy cow!"

I basically lost it when the ride went backwards, not sure whether I would survive. But whoa, was this a way to die.

The loop, though, was the scariest part.

"Don't look up, don't look up!" I told myself, but curiosity got the best of me. I looked up and screamed, absolutely delighted.

When we got off, I felt dizzy and giggly, holding onto Zach.

"That...was...great!" I said, breathless.

Max;

"And leave the most amazing and awesomest person behind?" I asked, putting my arm around her. "No way. Besides, who can say no to sea lions and pizza?" I added, grinning at her.

As we left our room, I went to knock on Mel and Zach's room, to let them know Rae and I were going out.

But there was no answer.

What the hell?

"Huh," I said. "Looks like they went out."

Odd. Sure, I expected them to hang out, but, I expected that Rae and I would have to push them, like moms do when they want each other's kids to play together, while the the grown ups hung out.

But they went off on their own.

"Interesting." I commented.

I laughed way to genuine to be sure if I was even myself anymore, but the way she nearly toppled had I not grabbed her waist was both hilarious, and adorable.

"Does that mean you're up for another? Ask your stomach," I told her. But even as I voiced caution, I was tugging us towards another line; this one, however, was more calm, and a very... water oriented. An old favorite, as my younger self recalled.

Bigfoot.jpg

"How about river rafting? The Rapids are awesome. With secluded hill, boulders and shrouded by trees, it's almost like you're not at the beach. And on a hot day like this," I wiped my forehead with my free hand. "It's worth it. Whaddya say?"

---

"Does that mean what I think it means?" I inquired, thoughtfully gazing at the door, and then up at Max, who seemed pretty interested. My mind wandered from cute, bearded, flubby sea lions to recollection the past week, to which I commented on when certain things I'd observed crossed my mind.

"You know, they've been awwwwfully friendly lately." I added, swinging our hands back and forth as we stood there like an idle toddler. "I wonder whyyy that is, Maxy?"

Mel;

It was pretty hot today, and I needed something to help me cool off. My stomach might pay, I thought. But, oh well.

"Only if you promise not to scream like a little girl again." I joked, knowing very well it was I who screamed like a little girl on that rollercoaster. "That was just plain embarrassing!"

I giggled and nudged him, feeling suddenly more...outgoing. I was getting comfortable around him. Still nervous and girly, with butterflies dancing in my stomach, but I was more myself. More myself than with anyone.

Even more than I was with Rae.

And I liked it.

Max;

I wondered, too. Those two were getting closer since that one night Zach took Mel back to the apartment. There was this feeling of secrecy, like two friends sharing an inside joke no one else in the world could ever begin to understand. For crying out loud, they went from being strangers who could barely say "hello" and "thank you" to each other, and now they had their own little world to themselves. Now they were hanging out!

Hmm.

I felt like a detective onto the case.

"I think I know where you're going with this one, honey." I said, slowly.

Zachary;

"Won't happen again," I told her, equally as playful.

This line moved a little faster, especially considering I may or may not have skipped ahead by several people, only caught by a little girl in a polka dot dress, who was easily persuaded not to tell with a bag of cotton candy.

Err, make that three bags.

"Who knew tots could blackmail like that," I shrugged.

As we were ushered in through a wooden gate, a man with white gloves directed us down a dirt path, that was very out of place for a beach setting. As we walked, wooden fences on either side, ever greens towered over us, blocking out the harsh sunlight, shadowed us into an almost darkness and, mixed with the moisture from the stream, made for a very cool atmosphere. The distant rushing of water grew loud enough to where people had to shout to converse, and as built in, towering rocks lined our sides, their voices echoed.

"I... don't remember all this." I told her, falling into a short line just a few feet from a dock, where a big tire with four people was being sent off. I felt a little disappointed upon remembering this was a shared ride. Had I just been too young to recall all the details?

As we were strapped in, I observed: It was me, Melanie, and across from us, another couple, about the same age, jubilant and carefree. We were all nestled in on a giant spherical raft, with seat belts to fasten us but other than that, no coverage, no handle bars. I liked it that way, but I didn't know how much Melanie could take.

My gaze was heavy on her as I wondered how she felt. The giggling, the nudging, it was genuine, wasn't it? So she was... comfortable. And though I didn't know her as well as I wanted to, living with her for the while I have, didn't know her to be that way, even around our supermodel, who usually coordinated and contributed everything.

I found myself smiling at her, but I was brought out of my thoughts as the couple before us introduced themselves.

"I'm Sally, and that's Mike," The red headed woman told us, baring a pearly white grin accented with blood red lips. Her hair was a pixie cut style, eyes almond and excited, with a small, athletic build; she looked like the outdoorsy type.

"Fellow rafters!" He greeted comically, to which I snorted and held out a hand for him to shake. It was larger than mine, he was muscled, in a flannel top and extra white around the eyes from the aviators perched on his head with a buzz cut style. "Nothing more romantic than speed on the water, right?"

"It's not that fast," I laughed lightly, but his furrowed brows had foreshadowing to them.

"What do you mean? This thing flies down for a good hundred feet before we drop down a slide made to look like a waterfall!"

"...Wait, what? We're just supposed to spin around a little and then-"

"You must be thinking about the old version from nineteen ninety two! Things have changed, buddy!" Sallys laugh was melodious like wind chimes, she was oblivious to the concern etching onto my face. Not for me, but for Mel. Could she handle some thing we both weren't prepared for?

"I didn't even see a... waterfall."

"It's hidden in the park, helps to keep the illusion, you know?"

"How is that even possible?"

"Don't question the magic!"

"Melanie, if you'd rather not-"

"Welcome to Coney Islands renovated Bigfoot Rapids! Please keep all hands, legs and heads inside the raft at all times. No flash photography. Please no exiting the tire at any time. Do not throw up in the water. And remember, have fun!"

Before I could say anything else, there was a sudden jolt, and our tire was already rotating slightly, and heading down a long, wide, vast stream, it's current pace was almost gentle, but the way Mike and Sally grinned like idiots, and the sound of a gushing river not too far from here, told me we were about to be brutally thrashed around.

RR_rockwork.png
RR_splash.png
RR_waterfall.png

---

Rae;

"Oh! Are we gonna play detectives?" I asked excitedly, mentally scanning every film I've seen regarding that theme, but they're weren't many. "Hmm... I call Jessica Rabbit! She's... kind of a detective. She's... well, she's pretty," I shrugged, imagining me in that shimmering red gown.

"Where to, handsome?" I asked him, but I mimicked Jessica's voice, playing with my hair, lips puckered, now officially in character. Unless he called the case off, then I'd just go back to being plain old me again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mel;

"Uhh, maybe we should---" I said, trying to get up and catch the attention of an employee, but I was a little too late.

"Woohoo!" Sally cheered.

"Yeahhhh!" Mike yelled, as Sally took out her iPhone and snapped a a selfie of herself and her guy.

"Is it safe to have your phones out during this ride?" I asked, concerned.

Sally shrugged. "Probably not, but my dad is loaded with cash, so whatever. Besides, I want to capture this moment forever." She said, before she and Mike began to aggressively, and almost violently, make out...and continue to snap selfies.

"You won't capture it forever if the water captures your phone first..." I mumbled.

...And then that's when the nightmare began.

Max;

"Call me, Sherlock, baby." I replied, rubbing my chin.

"To the pizza parlor!" I announced.

All jokes aside, we hung out and gobbled up some pepperoni and cheese slices, discussing the sudden change in Mel and Zach.

"I dunno. It's weird." I explained. "Zach has been through some major heartbreak. Like, really major. It happened right before I met him. When I first saw him hanging out at the comedy club, he was so depressed. He looked like a wounded child or something."

I remembered those days. The days when Zach was almost a zombie, and sometimes, he still was. I saw glimpses of that sad guy whenever he hid in his room to paint.

"He would come and watch our stand up and sketches and stuff. Said it made him laugh, and he needed that. One night, I was helping the owner clean the place up, and Zach helped out, too, and...we went out for drinks after and the rest is history. He is the happiest I have ever seen him when Mel is around. Like I said, it's weird."

Zachary;

I myself couldn't pay attention to the passionate duo before me, or even the nervous woman beside me, 'cause my eyes were trained on our first drop, not too far from here.

"Mike, I thought you said one waterfall!" I shouted at him as the tire hit its first bump, a hissss filling the air, as icy cold water splashed over us.

"Are you referring to the drop coming up first? Zach, dude, that's just a bump compared to what we're heading towards!"

We all flinched as we were sprayed with another ripple of water, but Sally was laughing with the purest enjoyment I'd ever seen, and Mike was quick to join in. I held up my arms defensively as we hit the last bump before flying over a ledge about twenty feet up in the air, all four of us shouting in unison as we hit the water again, lopsided, dipping into the water like a wobbly fishermans boat in the midst of an ocean, liquid at our feet as some managed to make it inside.

We teetered right, left, forwards and over a few strategically placed rocks submerged in the vast stream ahead of us, gradually gaining speed, all the while rippling waves headed our way, colliding with the gleaming neon rubber and reaching over us. By the time we'd hit the third bump, one away from this alleged waterfall, I was drenched.

I shook my soaked wet hair, but it still clung to my skin, around my eyes and along my neck, droplets bouncing off as I shook it again, but it was useless. I wiped my face, eyes sparkling from what'd gotten into them.

"Mel, you alright?" I asked, unable to hide the thrill seeking grin from my face as I looked at her, and then to Sally and Mike, who were equally as drenched. I didn't know what I'd gotten us into, but the exhilaration was so unexpected it was... refreshing.

---

Rae;

I picked off the pepperoni and flicked it onto his plate, scrunching my nose at every rounded red topping. As he spoke, I folded my pizza, giggling as I pulled away, cheese dangling since I tended to eat like a guy.

"Poor Z," I sighed, and knew Mel had had her own heartbreak that left her zombified for a long time. In fact, she never really healed, she just... deals, better.

"It really is a weird turn of events.. maybe it's a good weird, though?" I pondered, however, as I thought about it, I decided I didn't entirely believe that. "Melanie... she's more or less, broken, too. If they're both broken, and they're both vulnerable, what if they make some crazy mistake?"

"I mean, it's none of my business... Ohhhh, I don't know, if they wanna... go do fun stuff together, then they should just... go do that." I grumbled, mercilessly stabbing my pizza with my plastic knife. Something was eating at me, poking at my stomach, turning an unused clock work part of my brain. What was it? I knew the feeling. But I couldn't figure out why it was there. Anger? No... Worry? Kind of. Fear? A little... but what was the word I was looking for?

Zachary and Mel, joyously spending time together and either breaking or mending each others hearts. Sharing secrets, memories, moments, tubs of ice cream and bad movie commentary...

It's what she and I used to do, all the time.

I frowned at my pizza. The bite marks I'd awkwardly placed made a taunting smile appear, and it screamed a word at me but I wasn't getting it.

"...I mean, we'll always be a group, so... what's it matter," I grumbled, half to Max, half to the pizza.

Mel;

I couldn't believe it.

I couldn't believe it!

"All right?" I asked, shaking from being soaking wet. "All right?! No, I am not all right. I am freaking feeling AWESOME right now!"

"Right, right?" Mike said. "That was amazing, right?"

"It was totally amazing!"

"I KNOW, RIGHT?! How amazing do you feel?"

"Totally amazing!"

"How amazing?!"

"TOTALLY FREAKING AMAZING!!"

"All riiight!"

"I have never done anything like that before! It was...it was...I'll never forget it." I said, looking up at Zach.

Without thinking, I kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"Ohhh, come on." Mike teased. "Let's see you guys really have it. Hey, kissing contest, eh?" He said, grabbing Sally, who squealed, and beginning to kiss her again like crazy.

Max;

"Wait...are you saying...what I think you're saying?" I asked her.

Did she actually think...

I lost it and started laughing for a few good minutes, before my stomach started to hurt, and I had to stop.

"No way. Not Mel and Zach. I mean, sure, maybe harmless flirting, here and there. But they are not going to be...well, like us. Zach doesn't even date. He's too in love with watercolors or whatcha call it. And Mel? Well...well..."

That's when I realized I didn't really know Mel all that well.

"Look, don't worry about it. Zach is not even interested in getting into a relationship right now. And I am sure Mel...well, she seems to be doing okay for herself. I bet she doesn't even see Zach that way."

Zachary;

I didn't know why I'd done what he said. I blamed the adrenaline, but honestly, with the way Melanie was acting, I admired her all the more, and that was a turn on, and that kiss on the cheek, and the icy breeze from the stream as we drifted back around the bend and to the dock...

I did kiss her.

Respectfully, I didn't engage in such an action for the sake of competition, that wasn't exactly how I did things; but I did envy Mike and what he had with Sally, and one thought led to another, before I knew it, I'd pressed out soaking wet bodies together, pulling her in for a what was meant to be a brief peck on the lips, but inevitably turned into something that made my skin flush and my stomach flip over and over.

"Whooo!" Sally fist pumped, before we drifted into the dock, bumped against the wood, and the employee mumbled 'alright, alright' and requested we all get out immediately.

"You guys are great! Have a killer day!" Mike told us, slapping me on the back as I broke from the kiss, my eyes still lit up and excited, but my chest was rising and falling dramatically from all that'd happened, and so sudden. I didn't act on impulse too often.

"Sorry, Mel," I breathed, or should I say, I lied. I wasn't. At all. "Got overwhelmed for a minute there."

---

Rae;

"Attention can change a person," I told him, referring to us when he and I had met for the first time. "We were just two kids flirting at the bar, a little tipsy, finding closure with a stranger in the light of a jukebox, our careers on our minds and our focus on ourselves. A year and a half later... we're engaged."

Though the thought made me smile genuinely, that gnawing persisted and it dropped again. Melanie deserved bliss. Zach... He was an ass, but Max loved him, so I did, too, and he deserved bliss. But... together? I hoped Max was right, cause now that the jokes had worn off, I... wasn't so sure about this...

"I'm just being over analytical... Mel's a big girl, she can handle herself." I said with uncertainty, my eyes shooting up as a sudden blaring, monotone voice boomed winner, winner!

A child screamed and pulled a dog like stuffed animal from the duct of a claw machine, hugging it to his chest aggressively and jumping, barely taller than the table we sat at. Despite the importance of our conversation, my mind suddenly revolved around me again, and as the kid looked to me and smirked with a 'nah-nah look what I have and you don't' toothless grin, I felt my game face flicker on.

"Oh, it's on, gum drop," I murmured, pushing away from the table and heading over to the machine. The glass case revealed the heads and rear ends of all kinds of familiar characters, Disney, Looney tunes, Marvel comics, theme park mascots, and...

Was that...

"MAX THERE'S A PIKACHU IN HERE," I shouted, causing everyone's heads to snap up, some with a grin, some annoyed, and distantly I heard a snort of laughter. "I NEED QUARTERS. I WANT THIS, NOW."

LOL.

---

Mel;

There was no way in the world I expected him to actually do it, but oh my goodness, he did.

And I loved it.

I kissed him back, as if it was the only natural thing to do. His ocean cologne mixed with the smell of cotton candy created the most hypnotizing scent that made me want more.

I came out of it when Sally cheered, annoyed and relieved to be reminded of what I was doing.

"It's fine." I said to Zach's apology, but it was more than fine. We said goodbye to Sally and Mike and went our separate ways.

This was driving me crazy. I had to tell him how I felt. I couldn't take it anymore. This was torture.

I took a huge breath. "Zach...there is something I need to tell you..." I began.

"Hey, yo! Zach!" A random guy a few feet away from us said. He walked up to Zach, leading a small group of guys and girls our age. Probably friends. "What up, buddy?"

Max;

"Oooh, a Pikatchu?!" I replied, and without a second of hesitation, I grabbed for some change in my pocket.

"No!" Gum drop said. "That's going to be my toy!"

"Whoa, there, little fella." I said, kneeling down to his level, so that we were eye to eye. "The lady did spot it first, and besides, you already have a nice toy---"

"PIKATCHU IS MINE." The kid warned, turning red and even more angry.

"Ooookay," I said, a little scared. "Tell you what, why don't we---"

And just like that, the kid kicked me in the stomach.

"Ow!" I cried, falling to the floor. "Dude, what the---"

But no. He wasn't done. The little devil had to bite my arm, causing me to let the quarters loose from my hand, then, swift as a fox, he took my money. He was like Swiper from Dora the Explorer.

"Hey!" I said, getting up from the floor with great difficulty. "Come back here!"

"No!" He said, then stuck his tongue out at me and waved a 20 dollar bill at me.

"Hey, that's mine!" I shouted, grabbing for it, but he was too fast for me.

Zachary;

I'd been intently listening to Melanie up until a familiar broke voice through, one that swiftly killed the high I was on, and brought my shoulder blades together, tense and tight.

"Shit," I murmured, looking to Melanie with apologetic eyes before said voice, followed by more familiar faces, weaved their way over to us, all seemingly amiable and non-threatening, but I had few fond memories of them.

"Just... Here for the festival with my friends," I told them, emphasizing the word as that was a category I didn't put this group in.

"Well... That's... Awesome!" Jared responded, brown hair swaying at his shoulders. He ran his fingers through it, letting it fall back into it's style effortlessly, revealing the toned biceps of a gym lover, the other hand shoved in his old, denim jeans with torn knees where he'd fallen off of his skate board attempting to do flips despite his height.

"Who's she?"

Visibly cringing as that inquisitive, silvery voice clipped the air, my first instinct was to bark back a remark. However, slow and steady, the anger that threatened to rise like a wave depleted, and upon seeing Isabella again, it was replaced with a painfully gradual flood of painful memories. I shoved my hands in my pocket, my usual uncomfortable habit.

"This is Melanie," I answered coolly, but my voice had died down a little, energy flowing in a defensive posture. There was honestly no reason for me to have all these feelings right now, it was just a trigger to see them.

"Oh, well, hello there, Melanie," Alice chirped politely, and beside her, Jared gave a little wave, lips pursed.

The wind kicked up, leaving goosebumps along my damp, chilled skin; I felt unusually center into the ground, though, a nostalgic part of me wishing I could just leap over the threshold of time and reconnect with my past. For all the bad that seeped through where I'd buried it, those memories of being a crazy kid again also returned, and I was taken aback, visibly speechless.

To see them, and myself, separated, to not see a certain someone chatting excitedly beside 'Bella. Her 5'4 stature and beloved, vintage leather jacket with the burn marks on the sleeves from a more wild time of our lives, that Hayley Willams hair cut and this ability to know which always annoyed me. She hadn't changed, which undoubtedly peaked my curiosity about...

"Alice says hi," She told me directly, a little twitch in her berry colored lips as she spoke. She kept her hands on the camera that hung around her neck, tapping the lens as she looked at me, jade beaded necklace changling against her silver bracelets.

I felt my chest heave, and I nearly clutched it, but I didn't. "That's low, Bella."

"It's just a hello."

I laughed, bitter and cold, my grin sardonic, nothing genuine like it'd been minutes ago. Inside, the flames rose and licked at my flesh painfully. "Screw you."

"Hey," Jared interrupted. "Come on, man. We're all stoked to see you again-"

Behind him, Josh and Jessica nodded. Josh, another towering brunette, was pursing a career in film as a director, like his father; he had a gift, making the best sets, and tacos, in New York. Jess was part of NYU's volleyball team, her visor and muscled arms were evidence to back her up.

"You could visit, we all living in the same freaking city."

"You don't answer your phone anymore," Jessica piped in, sympathetic, but it only hurt me more.

The silence grew heavy as we stood there, and I suddenly felt bad that Mel was standing with me through the tension. Of course, that tension was completely one sided, my fault, as always.

"Well, we have a movie to make, so," I offered a half hearted wave, eager to get away before anymore of my past was thrown at me.

Irony had other plans.

"The beach flick? That's where we're heading, right after Jess plays a round of skii ball!" Bella said suddenly, and I glared her way, but she just persisted. "Wanna go together?"

She skipped over to Melanie, "What do you say, Melanie? I'd love to get to know Zach's knew friends! You must be some sort of special, getting him out away from his paints and getting him to take you out like this. And you're so beautiful!" Jessica grinned and headed over to Melanie, too, locking an arm with her, damp and tangled, chestnut ponytail swaying back and forth. "Yeah, you are!"

Jared gave me that hopeful puppy dog look, and following that was a slap on the back from Josh, that goofy grin nearly cracking my defenses. Nearly. But I wasn't forgiving Isabella for the mention of Alice, and the rush of emotions inside were relentless as ever.

"Mel," I asked, and gave the decision to her. "Would that be alright? Or would you rather head out alone?"

---

Rae;

"Get back here, you little brat! How dare you bite my fiancee!" I shouted, leaving the machine behind and taking to chasing him around the restaurant but, damn, he was road runner fast!

People gasped and cursed as he crawled under tables and swung underneath carts of food, moving between the legs of rushing employees and underneath the skirts of customers. He cartoonishly dodged my every attempt to snatch the twenty.

And then, suddenly, he vanished.

When I came back around, I'd nearly collided with Max, my glare malicious as I scanned the premises, asking customers, "Have you seen a little devil, yay high waving money like a pimp?"

They just stared at me.

"He's hiding," I told Max. "If I were a child, where would I hide..."

Mel;

"Of course it's all right!" Jared said, swinging his arms around us. "Right, sweetie?" He asked me, but there was something threatning in his voice.

Maybe I'm being overdramatic, I thought. But why was Zach acting so strangely?

"I don't know..." I said, slowly. "I, uh, I mean..."

"Aw, don't be scared. Are you scared?" Jess asked, grinning ear to ear like the Cheshire cat.

"Aww, she's scared." Bella said, giggling with Jess.

"I'm not scared!" I replied, but I...kind of was.

"Wait," Bella said, "how old are you? You look young."

"I'm nineteen." I answered, to which the group replied with an "awww!"

"A teenager." Jess said, resting her hand on her chest.

"Not anymore. I'm gonna be twenty tomorrow!" I told her, defensive now.

"Then we should celebrate," Jared said, his arm still around me.

Max;

Like we were hunting a wild animal, I remained still and quiet, ready for the attack.

But nothing happened.

"He probably ran away," I said, getting up and rubbing my bitten arm. "Now where were we?"

As if on command, the little vampire came running out from underneath a table, grabbing onto my leg.

"Whoa!" I yelled, losing balance and bumping into a waiter carrying a tray of wine and spaghetti. This caused the poor fella to fall on his behind and the tray of food to fall on an old customer, which totally knocked him out. The woman next to him, his wife probably, screamed, spaghetti all over her wig that was now beginning to slip off her head. Not too different from what happened to Rae yesterday, with the food in the hair and all. Except Rae's hair was real.

Zachary;

"You're acting like creepers, buzz off," I said, half joking, half defensive as Jared put his arm around Melanie. I intervened, quick to wrap my arm around her waist and tug her my way. "Just ignore them, Mel.. We'll sneak off on our own, soon."

"I guess we're hitting up a movie and... Celebrating, then." I shrugged, a little weary but if they were still the same old friends I knew, we didn't have much to worry about.

Or that's what I kept telling myself.

---

Rae;

"Get off of him!" I growled, and with a lunge and one final, aggressive tug, I ripped the little devil from my fiancee and, despite how much he wriggled and kicked me, I held him tight, tempted to squeeze him till his beady little eyes popped out.

"Babe! Grab the money!" I told him, cringing as he tried to bite my arm, but I just squeezed him harder, "Not a chance, germ bag!"

"My God! What are you doing to my son?" Screeched the mother, who's husband followed up by grabbing my around the waist and yanking my from their child.

Mel;

I did my best to cheer Zach up, but I could see he wasn't the same after meeting up with those people. I almost wanted to forget about the movie, but Zach really wanted to see it, and I wasn't going to let these people or myself ruin his fun, so we went.

We would just have to toughen this one out.

"Hey," I said to Zach, as we got popcorn and drinks. "Don't worry, I'm here. Let's not let them ruin our fun. We're better than that."

Why was I always the one to give advice, but I could never follow my own?

Max;

"THAT IS YOUR SON?" I asked the woman, who had the same face as her son. Red hair, freckles. Like Chuckie.

"Yes, he is." she replied. "Shame on you two, bullying an innocent child."

"Innocent child?! He is a monster!"

"Hey! Watch your mouth!" Her husband said, getting in my face.

"Mommy, I just wanted a toy, but the mean man stole my quarters and his girlfriend bit my arm!" Gum drop chimed in.

"WHAT?!" I cried. People looked at Rae and me, shaking their heads.

"Oh, come on!" I said. "You saw him!"

Zach;

After a twenty minute game of skii ball, and by game I mean watching Jessica dominate the booth and create a line behind us, we finally started towards the beach, where the movie was being held. Lucky for us, Bella always came prepared, and had a surprising amount of blankets packed, and leave it to Josh to have food. We kicked off our shoes as we hit the sand, the distant roar if the ocean hard to hear, or see, over the excitedly chattering crowd and the oversized projector screen. It was crowded, and the closest sports even this early were taken. So we settled with mid row, which was a little less convenient, but, hey, couldn't win them all.

"Here, one big throw for you and Mel," Bella chirped, tossing a long, soft blue blanket my way. I had to stare at her for a minute, the way she said 'you and Mel' just held all the implications I expected her to bring about. But she just smirked and started smoothing down her own blanket, squealing and Jared dropped an ice cube down her shirt.

I smoothed the blanket down and sat a can of soda on each corner to keep it from turning over. The wind had picked up since we'd started settling, and the glare from the setting sun was harsh, resembling sherbet ice cream with the way the orange, fushia and gold collided like an explosion. It was beautiful.

Yet my inspiration had not come.

I made it a point to keep Melanie on the side of my farthest from the others; I don't know why, they were harmless... yet I was still on the defence. Could anyone blame me? After the way they took Alice's side and all but executed me...

"Aaaalright," Josh hummed, dropping a huge, insulated bag before us. "Hot dogs, chips, ice cold cans of tea and soda, and-"

"-Tacos?" I smirked.

"You know me so well," He said dramatically, and despite my guard, I couldn't deny the longing for what nay be the most delicious taco anyone had ever tasted. The man was a cooking God.

"Eeee! Zach's back," Bella chirped to Jared, who only shook his head. "Don't be so sure, Bells. After what went down, this might just be a one time thing."

"Oh, come on, he can't be mad after all this time.."

"It's only been about two years, and knowing him, that's about a week."

They both rolled their eyes and began searching for something to eat.

"What movies playing tonight?" I finally asked. I gave a crooked grin to Melanie, "I... didn't see it in the site. If it's awful, we can go-"

"It's Much Ado about nothing, you know, that William Shakespear adaption by Kenneth Branaugh," Josh said very specifically, to which everyone laughed. "What?"

"No, Joshie, only you know that," Jessica sneered.

The only thing I knew about that movie- or, more so, the script- was that Rae loved it. "I don't know how you take Shakespear..." I laughed, and grimaced at the same time.

---

Rae;

"You're lucky I didn't shove you through the slushie machine you little insect," I seethed, startlingly vicious. "And I didn't bite you, I'm a germophobe."

"How dare you!"

"And who the hell are you, the queen of the damned? Quit yelling at us and take a parenting class!"

I grabbed Max's arm and tugged him back towards our table, "Oh, whatever, forget them."

"Ma'am?" I whipped around when a new voice came around, a tall man, dressed in a fine suit with a Captain Hook like beard. He had a golden name tag with the name 'Gerard' and underneath that in teeeeny tiny print was the title 'Manager'.

"Err... Yes?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave-"

"-What?-"

"-And not return to the establishment... ever. You two have been the reason for more complaints than we've ever received since we opened our doors. Do pay your bill and leave, lest we be forced to take... extensive measures."

"Are we banned from the restaurant?" I asked Max, but the man heard, and nodded.

"Indefinitely."

Mel;

"Shakespeare?" I asked, intrigued. I liked Shakespeare. Shakespeare was good. Maybe tonight wouldn't be so bad, after all.

And thanks to our hands and feet brushing up against each other throughout the movie, it was more than fun for me and Zach.

After the movie was over, Zach's friends, or ex-friends, were ready to party.

"Okay," Jared said, as we walked off the beach and onto the street. "Since this is your last night as a teenager, why don't we play a good ol' game of truth or dare?"

"Truth or dare?" I asked, thinking of the game Max and I played in the car.

"Yeahhh..." Jessica said, with a smile full of mischief. "Think of it as a challenge...a scavenger hunt..."

"What do I have to do?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing much. Just a few things." Josh said.

"Exactly." Josh agreed. "Like, let's see...let's see..." he said, looking around.

"Why don't you get us some beer from the liquor store?" Jared suggested.

"But," I said, "I'm underage!"

"No, duh." Bella said, rolling her eyes at the obvious and passing me a card. "Use this."

It was a fake ID.

Max;

"Yeah?" I said to the manager, "well, your restaurant sucked anyways. And I'm not paying the bill!"

"Pay the bill or we call the cops." The manager replied, not at all scared or impressed by my fake macho attitude.

"Yes, sir." I replied, immediately paying...with cash.

This vacation wasn't at all what I wanted or expected for Rae. It was a disaster. After all she had been through with my family, I wanted---needed---to make it up to her. If I couldn't get her a Pokemon stuffed animal, then I would get her something else.

Something just as cute and from the sea.

"Hey," I said, taking hold on her tiny but soft porcelain hands that always fit mine so well. "We still have the sea lions."

And with Rae squealing over the sea lions, I had plenty of time to plan the perfect surprise for her when we got back to the hotel. I mean, I may not have been the best at planning, considering what I did to poor Mel and Zach, but I determined to make this surprise work for Rae. I would not mess this one up.

I had to laugh, they hadn't changed a bit, had they? Though usually I'd not quarrel with it, since it was Melanie they were addressing, I had to intervene.

"Mel... You don't have to," I told her, ignoring the elbow jab in the gut from Jared. I scowled at him, he was all too eager for trouble, as always. How was a law student such a trouble maker? "Seriously, we can-"

"Oh, stop, Zach. She's nearly a grown woman, she can handle a little subversion," Jessica growled.

"Subversion? Big words for a sorority leech," I ignored her frown and shifted my attention back to Melanie.

---

"One of them winked at me, I swear!" I told Max with the excitement of a four year old, still gazing at the wide, glass wall that served as a barrier between myself and the rubbery, flubbery animals. "I hate that they're caged here, though.. don't you think it's unfair? Little freaks like that kid run free, while harmless sea dogs stay locked up in a temperature moderated prison."

I pressed my fingers to the glass and laughed as one of the Sea lions pressed their nose to it, huffing loudly and causing a big, smeared fog to spread across where I'd touched. I wouldn't hide my distaste for human freedoms and captivity for animals.

Mel;

"Nothing bad is going to happen," Bella said, shrugging.

"No, you guys." Josh said, patting my back. "She looks scared. Are you scared, honey?"

"I'm not scared!" I said, pulling away from him.

"Then do it." Jessica said, wanting me to prove it. "Grab the ID and get us some beer."

This wasn't a good idea. I knew it wasn't a good idea.

But I still did it anyway, because I was tired of being laughed at.

Jared handed me the cash and ID, and like the idiot I was, I marched to the nearby liquor store, hearing them whisper and giggle behind my back.

I would show them.

Max;

If there was one thing I knew about Rae, it was that she loved animals. So much so, that a few months ago, when she was offered to do a photo shoot for this top clothing line in LA, she turned it down because they wanted her to wear fur. Her reps tried to convince her to go for it, negotiating more pay for her, but Rae had her values, and one of those values was kindness to all animals, especially these little fellas we were watching. I had never seen her for so happy and giggly over something. Well, except when I proposed to her. But regardless, Rae loved these little guys! If only...

That got me thinking.

"Hey babe? I'm gonna go to the bathroom. Be right back." I said, before kissing her on the cheek and sneaking off to the Men's room.

Once I entered the bathroom, I dialed Zach's number.

"Zach, we got to get a sea lion tonight!" I told him, the second he answered.

I stood with all the anxiousness of a mother who'd sent their only child off to their first day of school, hands shoved deep in my pockets, clenched into fists as she matched through the stores doors with determination, my so called friends snickering behind me.

This was a stupid idea. I knew that, they knew that, and I just knew she was aware of that truth. So why risk it? Was it to prove something? Or was Melanie more risky than I'd assessed? Not that that necessarily bothered me, in fact, I...

No, no, no, just wait for the signal.. not that we determined one... And go get her out of there!

"Seriously, Zach," I heard Jessica inhale as she tried to catch her breath from her fit of giggles. "What do you even see in her?"

"She's nothing like Alice!" Isabella sneered.

"...That's why I like her," I commented before I could think, but with that out there, and the adrenaline of anger that simmered within my stomach, I continued. "I respect Melanie as moral, modest-

-And adorable-

"-Human being. She's not a skank."

Jared whistled, "Damn, that's l-"

I quirked a brow and glanced over my shoulder, catching Josh who'd slapped his hand over Jared's mouth before he finished his sentence.

With a smirk, I let it go, but only because Max was calling. Upon hearing his voice, I was suddenly reminded of the argument Rae and I had this morning. Unbelievably, I missed them both enough to not even be angry, I just wanted the crowd I was more comfortable with around Melanie and myself again-

"-Did you just say Sea Lion? Are you plastered?"

(Skipping Rae's POV for a bit, she can watch the flubbery dogs play :P )

Mel;

Entering the liquor store, my heart pounded in my ears, and I had to hold the scream that wanted to escape me. What if I got in trouble for this?

Oh my God.

What if I got arrested?

My whole career---my whole life---would be ruined!

No, no. I was overthinking it. Everything would turn out just fine. The ID they gave me was convincing enough, showing a picture of a small and wide eyed brunette woman who looked like she forgot to wear her glasses that day.

Yeah, that could totally be me.

"Hello, welcome!" The Asian man behind the register said to me, with a warm smile on his face.

"Hi..." I said, trying to remain as invisible as possible with my eyes focused on the Miller Light. I just had to keep myself focused on the prize, that was all. And breathe. I had to remember to breathe, and oh God, was he looking at me? Did he know? I began to kiss every good thing in my life goodbye.

Damn it, no! I had to stay strong. I had to do this, no matter how wrong. After all, every great writer had a great adventure from time to time. Maybe not an illegal adventure, but still.

Breathing slowly, I approached the beer section, grabbing a heavy pack before setting it---well, dropping it---on the counter.

"Ah, you buy the beer!" The Asian man said, rather impressed. "You so tiny and young. What are you, twelve?"

"Twenty one." I said, hoping he didn't notice the twitch I got whenever I lied.

"Okay." He replied. "That be five dollars."

"Wait," I said, "you don't want to see my ID?"

"Nah, what for? Why? You not underage, are you?"

"Uh...no."

He smiled at me again, winking this time, and said, "Then have nice day. Bye bye!"

I couldn't believe it. Breaking the rules was that easy and oddly...fun.

What else was I missing out on?

Max;

"Bro, I am serious." I told Zach. "Look, I really screwed things up by bringing her to meet my folks, and Rae meeting a real life sea lion would be the perfect way to make it up to her!"

Zach, being more "practical" than I was would never be down for something like this; but we were best friends, so this was different. I knew it was crazy, but I didn't care! There had to be a way to get one of these little guys to meet Rae. I mean, if Ellen could do it, why not us?

"Please, Zach." I begged. "You gotta help me with this. Please?"

There was a silence.

"I love her. So much. I just want to make it up to her. You know what it's like to be in love, right?"

I gave him my best puppy dog noise. It was either all or nothing at this point.

As Melanie came through the doors, I exhaled dramatically, feeling the tightness within my chest unwind, though a headache threatened to manifest as Max whine about his fiancee on the other end of the phone.

The group around me cheered like animals, Jessica's high pitched squealing cutting right into my teeth.

"Y-Yeah, I hear you," I plugged my other ear and strained to hear him as the others howled. "A... a sea lion, I..."

"Woooo! Mel! Buyin' beer, like a boss!" Josh laughed out loud, and the others continued alongside him, all their noise echoing a long the street, nullified by the cars that whizzed by.

"How's it feel?" Isabella asked, her pixie face bright and enthusiastic and she bounced beside Melanie.

"Living on the edge," Jared grinned, tightly hugging her from the side, seeming like a giant beside her.

"Max, I..." I winced as he pleaded. "Fine... I don't know how we won't end up arrested to getting bitten in the process, though. We'll have to talk to the aquarium management, I'd assume... You're freaking crazy. I'm crazy, I just let Melanie go buy beer illegally." My voice was a strained monotone amongst my aroused companions. I had to talk to someone other than this group, though I knew Max would be either ecstatic, or furious. Depended on how love drunk he was.

I arched my brows at Melanie as if to question whether or not she was alright.

Melanie;

"That was crazy, and scary, and horrible and...and..." I said, catching my breath, as everyone stared at me and waited for me to say more. "I feel...I feel great!"

And with that alone, they cheered and lifted me up proudly like I just won the World Cup or something. I didn't know much about sports, but I knew that was a thing they did.

After a few minutes of singing and laughing, we opened our beers.

"To Mel!" Jared said, lifting his can high and proudly, like it was a prize.

"To Mel!" The group responded, before chugging down.

"So what was this I heard about sea lions?" Jared asked Zach.

"Sea lions? What about them?" I asked, laughing. Rae had said something about going to see sea lions earlier. Or was it yesterday? I couldn't remember.

"Zach was saying something about getting arrested for sea lions." Jessica said, raising an eyebrow.

All eyes were on Zach. What exactly was going on?

Max;

The last thing I heard was Zach saying something about Mel illegally buying beer, before I heard the line go dead. Shit. Weak signal!

I had to think, and fast. It was 6pm, and Rae and I had dinner scheduled at 9. That gave me three hours to distract her and get a baby sea lion or two!

"What does a guy gotta do to get a baby sea lion around here?!" I asked, just in time for an elderly man to come out of a stall and stare at me like I should be on medication.

This wasn't going to be easy, but dammit, I would do it!

I got back to Rae, who was still admiring the little creatures like a proud mama, praying for anything, or anyone, to separate us for a few hours, so Zach and I could complete our mission.

"Hey! I'm back, babe." I said, anxious as hell.

Damn.

"It's... It's nothing," I waved it off dismissively, but they weren't having it. They remained uncharacteristically silent, simply waiting for me to budge and tell.

I exhaled sharply, "Max wants me to help him steal a sea lion cause he's love drunk and Rae likes them."

They continued to stare at me, beer cans in one hand and their eyes incredulous. When I didn't crack a smile or throw in a pinch line, in unison, they all grinned, like... plotting raccoons in all their deviousness.

"Look, guys, I think I just need to talk some sense into him-"

"-Sense? Sense? Zachary, listen to yourself," Isabella pleaded, one arm around Melanie and the other around Jessica. "You sound like an old man."

"Let's help him get his lady love a sea lion!" Josh suggested.

"Don't call her his lady love, ugh," I made a gagging noise just thinking about it.

"It's... sweet, I guess," Jessica said. "Oh, who cares, we're going pet detective at the aquarium!"

"I..." I grimaced, looking to Melanie. "Please tell me your not onboard."

---

When Max returned, Rae was on her knees, her nose pressed against the glass. On the other side, a little sea lion had its nose pressed against the glass, seemingly to hers. It chirped and chirped playfully, and she was a completely different person, giggling and patting the glass while it reacted.

"They're so flubbery!" She told Max, eventually getting to her feet and dusting off her spotless bottom. "I wish I could pull a Harry Potter and free them from their-"

"-Helga? Helga, what the hell are you doing?"

Rae's head shot up as a woman repeatedly called out for someone, only to feel a firm grip on her arm whirl her around. She came face to face with an athletic looking blonde, ponytail underneath a visor, and a matching outfit consisting of a polo and khakis in deep blue, all sporting the aquariums logo. She had a Bluetooth in one ear, and a clipboard in hand.

"Are... Um... What?" Rae scrunched her nose at the name.

"Look, you're new, I get it. But you can't just piss time away wandering around the damn corridors, you're a damn Marine biologist, not a tourist! Meanwhile there's a group of students waiting to learn how to work with an orphan manatee."

"Wait, I-"

"You'll work with the lions next Monday, today your dedicated to the friends with fins. Come on, sign in the time sheet and get your ass in a coat and gloves!"

"Max, help me out here," Rae grumbled, shocked as the woman shoved a pair of gloves to her and chunky goggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back