• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Something else [Rae & Disney]

Mel;

To be perfectly honest, my ideal birthday would have been spent taking turns talking and making out with Zachary underneath a warm fleece blanket in the sand; and to be even more perfectly honest, that bothered me.

When Rae had started dating Max, things became different.

Her priorities shifted, and it was as if I had lost my best friend to a curly haired, New York-born Italian goofball comedian who just came out of no where and wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Of course, Rae wasn't one of those friends who would ditch me to spend time with her new beau, nor did she become one of those annoying type of girl friends who would only talk about their man and how amazing he was and "oh, look at this diamond necklace he bought me for our one week anniversary", and nothing else.

But something was definitely different. She was different.

She was happier and had a bounce to her step, like nothing could get in her way, which I loved; but she was also out a lot more and we didn't spend as much time together as we used to, which I didn't love. With the good change, came the bad (at least, bad for me) and I had a hard time adjusting to this new person in our life…and then he moved in, with a new person, aka Zach. And well, the attraction and chemistry between Zach and I was undeniable and here we were, running into the ocean, screaming and laughing like two little kids in the sun. As much as I hated to admit it, I was doing what I had judged Rae for doing all those months ago: obsessing, going crazy over, and falling madly and desperately in love with the man of my dreams.

And now, I was wanting to spend every and any possible moment I could with him, even if it meant cutting down time spent with my best friend since the Barbie days. Now my priorities were shifting.

In between kissing his forehead, nose, lips, and all over his adorable face, I said, "We could...sneak off...after...I open...my presents...or...we could...sneak off...now..."

Or would that be too obvious? Ugh, this was frustrating. But those mint flavored kisses, and those gorgeous emerald eyes, and oh, what was a girl to do when the boy that made her dizzy with love wanted to run off with her?? All she could do was melt in his arms like ice cream during summertime.

"Rae would kill us if you stole me away," I said, chuckling, as I brushed my lips behind his ears. "I, on the other hand, would absolutely love to be stolen by you, Zach..."

Max;

"Relax, babe..." I answered, patting her waist. "Your man Maximus has got this."

Turning back to the little girl again, I told her, "Yup. Here they are!"

But as I pointed to Rae and Mel, the little girl raised an eyebrow and said, "There's only one, and she doesn't look like a mermaid..."

Where had Mel gone? Wait, where had Zach gone? And how was I going to convince this kid that my girlfriend was half fish?

"Uh, well the other mermaid had to go to...the...the..."

The kid stood there, waiting for an answer.

Think Max, think! My brain urged.

"The bathroom." I finally said, with confidence.

"The bathroom?" The little girl repeated, unamused, before shooting a 'Is he serious?' look at Rae.

"Uh huh," I replied, going along with it. No backing out now. "Mermaids have very small bladders, actually."

"But how do they---?"

"That's not important right now. What is important, however, is that you...?"

"Kelsey."

"Right. What is important is that you, Kelsey, get to meet a real-live mermaid! So without further to do or however you say it, tada!"

There was a long pause, as Kelsey just stared Rae up and down, unimpressed.

"But she doesn't even have any fins!" She finally cried, almost insulted.

"That's because she has to earn them," I explained, totally making this up as I went along. "You see, every time a child believes in a mermaid, that mermaid earns her fins."

"Like how an angel earns her wings?" Kelsey asked, curiosity in her tone.

"Psh, no. That's stupid. Everybody knows that angels don't exist." I said, laughing it off. "Or wait, do they? Anyway, if you believe in Rae, she'll earn her fins, but if not, she will remain a finless mermaid forever and be thrown into a sea of crazy-butt piranhas. The question is, Kelsey, do you believe?"

"Uhhh, wow," she replied, "I, uh, guess so…"

"What's that, Kelsey?" I asked, "I couldn't hear you."

"I said I believe."

"You said what?"

"I said I beli---"

"Louder, Kelsey!"

"I believe!"

"You what?"

"I believe!"

And in a passionate Baptist preacher's voice I said, "Come on, girl, I know you can do better than that! Scream it for me now! Who do you believe in?"

"Rae!" Kelsey cried.

"Who?"

"Rae!"

"I want to hear you scream it! To the mountains!"

"Rae!"

"To the sea!"

"Rae!"

"To the ends of the earth, scream it loud and proud, baby girl!"

"Rae!"

"Hallelujah, she believes! Now bow down to your Ocean Queen!"

Immediately, Kelsey bowed down to Rae like her life depended on it, and asked, "Is she growing fins yet?"

"Hmm?" I said, "Oh, not yet. Those usually come in the mail in a week or two."

"Well, if she was a real mermaid, why is she so afraid of the water?" Kelsey asked, squinting at me in confusion, as she continued to bow.

It was in that moment when she said stolen away that I'd been flushed to the tips of my ears with bashfulness, ignited with the urge to simply sweep her off her feet and ditch this beach all together. She knew where to place her lips that made my heart skip beats and my skin sizzle down to my finger tips, every inch of her skin was smooth and... Our hotel wasn't that far, and... honest to God I didn't care if Rae had a stroke over this, she was the last thing on my mind...

...And then it hit me, the intensity of what was on my mind. Situations I vowed I'd never let myself genuinely want again, that I swore I'd never desire because there wouldn't ever be another Alice, I wouldn't let someone tear my heart out and boil in pathetic, wasted tears. But she and I had shared one night like that, together, unfortunately intoxicated; this time, however, it was entirely genuine, and she was beckoning, soft, sweet...

"Maybe we should open your presents," I whispered suddenly, and then repeated my sentence when I realized I'd hardly managed to form it. There was the greatest reluctance in my voice, but suddenly I felt a little nervous, and even more so, guilty. What would she do if she knew what I'd been thinking? Nothing short of genuine passion, but would she see it that way? Why the hell was I so worried now? Wasn't she as into me as I was her?

"And then, maybe we can sneak off, or they'll just get drunk and we can leave them here," I added as I gently pulled her face close and kissed it on every place I hadn't touched yet. It sounded harsh, but when Rae and Max really did indulge in their drinks, the rest of the night was all about them.

As expected, the serenity was interrupted as I heard Max shouting at the top of his lungs, and at a little girl who mimicked his enthusiasm. "What the hell is he doing? Does he even know that kid?" I asked, and slipped my fingers in with Mel's, starting to near the awkward scene just in time to see Rae express the epitome of discomfort my way, and shooed us with her hands.

"Heeeey, have you ever had deep friend cheesecake? I'll buy ya some!" I said with a sudden optimism and twirled her around, directing us towards the boardwalk. Melanie had a curious streak that'd get us both caught up in whatever the hell Max had started. What, the story where he spoke to whales and changed his name to Marlin? Or the conspiracies that UFOs come up from the depths? Maybe where Atlantis really didn't fall, but has an empire under water? God, I'd heard them all.

---

"Max!" I hit his arm maybe five times before I realized I was no match for his muscles. Or anyone's, to add to that. "Drop. The. Mermaid. Story!"

"Well, if she was a real mermaid, why is she so afraid of the water?"

"Be... Because my father, Poseidon, is, u-um... On vacation, in the Caribbean... And if he's not here to protect the ocean, the evil Sea Witch has reign and she'll send sharks to eat me!" I attempted to keep the story rolling, but Kelsey just stared at me, her mouth hanging open a little like she was either in awe, or about to give us a piece of her mind. Look what he'd gotten them into! And yet... She couldn't be too mad. It was just his love for kids, right? "And she's jealous of my fins! So if I go in the water, she'll... Take... Them..."

I slapped my hand to my forehead, and then whimpered dramatically when I whacked my eye instead, pouting like a child and stomping my foot twice in the sand. This was not the vacation I wanted! We should b snuggled up in a king sized bed sipping red wine, not fabricating stories to stranger kids! "Maaaaax I don't like being a mermaaaaaaaid, I wanna go have champagne by the doooooocks," my voice lilted and I averted my gaze from the ocean whilst tugging on his arm, unnerved by the actual thought of swimming and just how quickly an uncoordinated (water wise, anyways) person like me would drown.

I leaned in and whispered, "Can't we just give her five bucks and call it a day? If you put me in that ocean, you'll be sleeping by yourself till New Years!"

Mel;

This game of pulling closer and pulling away had been torture.

One second, we were within each other's grasp, intoxicated with wonder and want, until one of us had woken up, even just a little, from the spell and broke away until we were hypnotized again.

No. I wanted to say. I don't want to open up my presents. I want to be with you.

I could practically read his mind and see he wanted the same thing, and it made my knees wobble and my head spin.

What are you waiting for, Zach?

Oh, I could have screamed. I had been through this before, once upon a time ago, in the arms of a rocker bad boy with tattoos and a motorcycle who stole my eighteen year old heart and gave it back all shattered and hopeless. It's a miracle Rae put up with my sad eating-out-of-a-carton-of-ice-cream self without throwing me out of the apartment and telling me to get a life.

I mean, everyone knew my ex was trouble, except for little old moi, of course.

But what if Zach was different? What if he wasn't like my ex or even like my dad? What if his affections were genuine?

Or were all men the same?

Some part of me hoped Zach wasn't the same, while another part said, "Who do you think you two are? Meg and Hercules? Do you see any singing statues around here or a white horse named Pegasus? Get a grip, girl, unless you're dying to cry your heart out."

Luckily, Max was there to save the day and distract me with his wacko shenanigans.

"Wait, is he…is he telling that girl that Rae is a mermaid?" I asked, walking towards a stumbling Rae.

I giggled at her improvised story and was suddenly reminded of why she was my best friend in the entire world.

No matter how stupid one of us was being, she managed to still love us and go along with our weird ideas. She was like our supportive mom in a lot of ways. A doting mama to Max, an understanding source of guidance to me, and a tough love type of mom who wouldn't put up with your shit to Zach. Either way you slice it, she was our bright star that brought us together and lead us home at the end of the day. And I was thankful to have her.

Max;

"Becky? Becky!" The girl's mother called out, trying to run in the sand (and failing miserably at it). When she caught up to us, breatheless like a fish out of water, she grabbed her little girl.

"What did I tell you about talking to strangers?"

"But mom---" Becky said, "he says that he knows mermaids!"

Becky's mom gave me a look of horror as if I was trying to make her daughter join a cult and said, "Nice move, pervert! Mermaids. Ha!"

Then she turned to Becky and said, "Honey, don't you know that's what they all say? Come on, Daddy's taking us to have dinner."

She shot one last dirty look at me before leaving, which made Mel burst into laughter and fall on the ground, clutching her tummy.

"You! Are such! A dipshit!" She cried, gasping for air.

"Mel, Zach, there you are!" I said, running to them, before falling onto the sand like an actual dipshit. Hey, it's not my fault sand is so hard to walk on. It's just so…sand-like!

Not long after, the sun was setting and we brought the night in by setting up a bonfire and smores afterparty.

I sat next to Rae, holding her hand, while Mel, bundled up in a pink blanket, sat between Rae and Zach.

"These are really good, Max," Mel said, chewing on a marshmallow and hershey sandwhich. "What's this green stuff inside the marshmallow?"

"Oh, that must be the pickles." I admitted, embarrassed. "I had been experimenting with different flavors earlier."

She stopped chewing and looked down at her snack in an expression that was either awe or fear.

"Okay!" I said, clapping my hands after I finished up what must have been my fourth or fifth smore. "Presents time! Since I already went…Rae? Zach? Who's first?"

"Oh, that must be the pickles... I had been experimenting with different flavors earlier."

The look on Melanie's face was priceless, and I laughed a little despite wanting to spare his feelings. Couldn't blame her, more often than not, I found myself questioning Max's train of thought. Likely, it wasn't even a train. More like a clown car, stuffed with Pixar characters, bobbing along like the Mickey Mouse steamboat on the yellow brick road. With a discreet flick, my portion of his experimented on marshmallow dissipated in the fire, a gooey mush spreading over the coal, turning to such a substance itself.

Rae, however, wasn't so subtle, lightly whacking his arm and setting the stick in his hand with a huff, "You know how I feel about pickles, Max." She even pronounced the word funny, the edges of her lips twitching downwards, though the pout gradually faded as she opened the beach bag beside her and gently pulled out a thin package, lightly wrapped in a pink packaging with Mickey mouse ears adorning every space available. "Mind if I...?"

"No, go for it," I waved off her consideration, shifting to rise to my feet and head over to another bag, set up against a few things we brought for the beach trip. After a weekend like ours, both the traumatic moments, and rather sudden confession of feelings, I didn't know... whether or not, what I considered her birthday gift, was even a decent idea anymore. Some women found the sentimentality of a hand made gift touching, while others may see it as a cheap stand in for a brand name item I didn't have the budget for right now. I'd been working on the portrait long before that night she and I kissed, it seemed like a sweet and subtle thing between roommates. But now?

I had doubts. All I could do was hope, and try not to absorb every little twitch of her face when she saw it.

---

Inside the package were an array of little things I thought she'd like, all meant to be the foundation of the greater gift. A handful of gift cards ranging around a hundred each (mostly food!), a cute little frame with a picture of us as kids, and then a little, designer Burberry bag. After a moment of hesitation, I handed the package her way, smiling timidly and attempting to be patient while she examined it, but I couldn't keep biting my tongue!

"I sent some of your unpublished blogs to an editor friend of mine," I started, combing my hair from my eyes and behind my ears. "He loved the text, and said he'd interview you for a position as an editorial girl at Seventeen next week. I don't know anyone from Vogue well enough, sorry. And I know, I know, going through your Macbook is invasive, but the building isn't too far, the pay is why I really jumped on the chance, and you'd have a chance to use your voice and be all Melanie-yyy, ya know?"

Unlike Melanie, and despite my profession, I've always held very little interest in the fashion world, and that included magazines, talk shows and a majority of the after parties at my work. I indulged for the perks and networking, though, which was how I met Tyler, a flamboyant young man with a bright future and even brighter clothing; we've been friends since fashion week, and I figured Melanie would love working with someone like him, in the same line amidst the industry, reaching out to young girls, using personal testimonies, meeting a few big wigs and getting the freebies that came with her position. Who knows? Maybe she'd knock the Jenners out of Ambassador status and take over.

Okay, I really, really hoped so!

Mel;

Luckily, I was able to keep the barf in my stomach long enough to squeal with excitement over my birthday gifts. Oddly enough, one thing I never grew out of was birthday gifts. Probably because I never had many of them growing up, unless a Happy Meal from McDonald's counted. My mom usually spent all of her cash in the alcohol section of the grocery store, so I was thankful enough just to get a real meal and a cheap toy for my birthday than nothing at all.

I carefully examined my new treasures, growing even more delighted than before with each goodie I discovered. Gift cards! A photo of a younger me and Rae in a cute little picture frame! And even a new bag!

Then came the biggest and most terrifying gift of all.

"You did--what? An…an interview with Seventeen magazine?" I said, not even caring how or when she went into my files and did all this without my knowledge or consent. Nope, I was just waiting for the hidden cameras to appear at any moment. Rae was kidding, right? Yeah, she was totally kidding. Totally joking around and not being serious at all. Max's humor had rubbed off on her and she was simply playing a practical joke right now. Yup, she was just kidding.

She was just kidding, right?

Sweet baby hamsters.

Max;

"Pretty cool, huh?" I asked Mel, putting my arm around her. Looking dreamily up at the night sky and all its twinkling stars, I said to her, "Just imagine, Mel. Your own advice and monthly topics column in a real teen magazine. You, Melanie Brogan, sharing your wisdom and wit with the teenage girls of America, giving them hope! Giving them courage! Being the voice of a generation, of an age!"

Then, really getting into it, I shook her (lightly, of course) and cried, "Do you understand the responsibility, woman? Do you?!"

"Uh, yes?" She replied, wiggling her way out of my arms.

"Good," I said, "Oh, but you gotta ace the interview next week and get the job first."

Mel, overwhelmed, put her hand to her forehead and replied, "Oh, my God. Seventeen Magazine. Seventeen Magazine wants to interview me…for a job!"

I nodded, proud of Rae's networking skills and pitching expertise that helped land Mel the coveted career opportunity. Was there nothing Rae couldn't do?

Damn, her business woman ways were so hot.

Mel, squealing louder than ever, hugged---or actually squeezed---Rae with glee that even I almost wanted to join in. And by almost, I mean that I did.

"Yay! Group hug!" I cried out, bear hugging the two of them.

Boy, maybe Zach should have given his present first, I thought during our group hug. He is going to have a tough time topping this one…

"Hey Zach," I said, "why don't you show Mel what you made her?"

Instantly, Mel snapped out of her squeal fest and, with a rather ton of excitement, asked, "Zach, you made me something?"

"An interview she still has to ace?" I inquired, leaning back on my palms, which were against the relatively colder sand. "How is a job a gift?"

It wasn't that I doubted Melanie's work, I'd read it myself (unbeknownst to her) and hadn't a doubt in my mind she could get hired by a national company. But there was something about the uncertainty of the interview that seemed like less of a gift to me; or was I just being a little competitive?

"She'll be fine, I mean, Tyler's probably the sweetest interviewer Mel's ever going to get, and he already saw her work and loved it." She tossed a marshmallow upwards, attempting to catch it in her mouth, but it somehow managed to plop off Max's face instead. She laughed a little, kissing one his many bruises before continuing, "We need a voice like hers out there, this generations starting to scare me."

Rae shifted and settled herself in Max's lap, pulling a little, fleece blanket over the both of them, tucking her head underneath his chin and intertwining their hands, uncaring of what else he may have been doing. "I mean, converse jeans? Who would wear pants that... are shoes, too? They have strings and soles, I mean, it's stupid, right?"

To that, I snorted. But then my brows were furrowed and, for a moment, I didn't really react to anything. Looking at those too, I realized I'd held Melanie nearly the same way all week. Was that a sign of a potential long term, happy couple? Or was Rae just super clingy and Max had to deal with her like a second skin? Was every pair unique in how they interacted physically?

It felt like ages since the last time I'd been in a relationship, and it all seemed great until it... wasn't. There were hardly signs or red flags that went off when ny love life started to fall apart, it's like I was drugged on love and couldn't smell the cologne on Alice's pillow, couldn't notice when, one by one, the girl before that's drawer at my place was emptying, as was my wallet while I stupidly tried to win someone back. I dreaded for that to happen to me again, but I was in a little too deep to run away from whatever this was now. It had to be nice for those two, newly engaged and entirely confident in each other.

Did they even ever worry about cheating and jealousy? Probably not.

Regardless of the sudden introspection, Melanie was excited, and although I was a little insecure regarding my own present, if these made her day, who was I to question anything? She didn't seem any less excited when Max slipped in the fact I had made her some thing, I just hope she looked at it and saw effort and thoughtfulness, instead of how empty my wallet had been after bailing Max out of jail this weekend, amidst everything else.

"Yeah, umm," I grasped the package and paused, it wasn't necessarily wrapped up pretty or anything, perhaps next year I'd swallow my pride and ask Rae to fix up the appearance. I supposed all that mattered was what was inside, though, she seemed like the type of girl to appreciate sentimentality as a value. "Here, Mel. Happy birthday."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mel;

When a boy gives you a gift, it can either be the sweetest thing...or the most awkward. Even though I didn't get many birthday gifts growing up, I'd had some of my share of romantically awkward gifts from boys, like a rock I received when I was ten from my eleven year old neighbor Jimmy or the used Starbucks gift card my first boyfriend got me for Valentine's Day; and even though I want to, I will never forget the bouquet of fake roses that were left in my locker back in 10th grade, with a note that read, "I will stop loving you when the last rose dies. Love, your secret admirer. P.S. The last rose will never die, because the roses are fake, therefore I will never stop loving you. Never. Never."

I never found out who my secret admirer was, although I am pretty sure it was just the mean girls at my school who were playing a joke on me, because no one can be that creepy.

At least, I hope not.

But I have had some nice gifts, such as boxes of chocolates, tickets to Broadway shows, that sort of thing. The biggest, though, was the ring from my ex.

"Oh my God, it's…beautiful," I said, as he slid the diamond ring onto my finger. "Thank you…"

"Aw, it's nothin'," he replied, with his signature shrug and smirk. "The real deal will come later…"

"The real deal?"

"Yeah, I'm going to get you an even fancier ring."

"For what?" I asked, laughing.

"For when I marry you," He said, his smirk gone and his tone serious.

I thought he was joking. Looking back on it now, maybe he was. You could never tell with him.

But Zach's gift was so different. It was unique without being weird. Simple and unglamorous, but not cheap. It was personal, vulnerable, and had heart.

It was me. It was me, in his eyes, created with water colors by his hands and imagination. It was me, with my flaws and all, but also with the foreshadowing of who I could be. Scared, but brave. Fragile, yet strong. Did he really see me this way?

Here I was, in the most dangerous situation of my life.

A wonderful and spectacular boy was in love with me, and I was in love with him.

And my, oh, my, I had no idea how I was going to deal with it.

Max;

Zach had really put some work into this baby. I wasn't any master in artsy fartsy stuff like he was (unless making balloon animals counted!), but Melanie's portrait was unlike anything I had ever seen.

Her eyes had that sad puppy dog look they always do, but with a look of something like…longing or hope. The crooked grin on her face was like she was holding her breath, praying for something amazing to happen…and in that moment, in the painting, it was happening…It was pretty powerful, and I couldn't stop staring at it…

Oh my goodness. It was making me think. Zach's art was making me think! Me!

"Zach, I love it," Mel said, finally. "Oh, I love it. I love what I'm looking at."

But as she spoke those words, the only thing Mel was looking at was Zach.

Things were getting too emotional, and I was afraid that at any moment we would all be taking turns talking about our feelings and how awesome crying is, so I cut in and asked, "Alright, so who is ready for some volleyball? Boys vs. girls?"

Rae

tumblr_lvikltxhXL1r3alup.gif

Volleyball with four idiots was one hell of a sight, we didn't play by the rules most of the game (mostly because we didn't know them). While I spent half the game whining about almost being hit and demanding Max play softer, Zachary and Melanie were mirroring goo-goo eyes and hinting not so subtly at what was inducing my anxiety. That little exchange during the gift giving hadn't gone unnoticed, and while I was appreciative of Max finding a way to worm us out of such intimacy, I couldn't shake the feeling there was more going on than I knew about. Harmless flirting? To be expected, they were both attractive people living together, single and screwed up from when they weren't. But some thing serious? It'd taken two serves to the head before the reality really hit me. Melanie wouldn't be so gullible, would she? She was practically
just peeling the bandaid off of her last heartbreak!

The score was forgotten about thirty minutes in, no one here really liked math anyways, and Zach swore every move I made was a foul. I put up with it to keep the game light hearted, though when the third round was about to start, he and Melanie had simultaneously suggested a break. Coincidence? In the wise words of Dash's teacher Bernie,
I think not! Tempted as I felt to acknowledge the matter, almost instantaneously I realized that there was a seagull starting to take off with Max's Ralph Lauren watch.

"You've got to be kidding me!"

Zachary

tumblr_m6fwjnwV0k1qm85dyo1_500.gif

It was undeniable, I wasn't really present for anything after what Mel had said. I'd played the game almost entirely absent minded, aside from the few times I was admittedly showing off or putting princess in her place. But honestly all I could think of was the way Mel was looking at me from that moment onward, and I had to wonder if she was as captivated by the spark between us as I was. Maybe that was just the formerly locked up, hopeless romantic inside me talking, but it was a possibility I didn't want to sizzle out over poorly coordinated beach ball games.

Towards the end of game two, she and I had started to signal each other, as if telepathically saying
wanna run away together? Soon as the moment arose, we called break. Conspicuously, perhaps, but with that timid smile and shining eyes beckoning a rescuer, I couldn't give one damn what our roommates thought.

I escorted her over to our little set up, completely ignoring the fact there were seagulls scavengers pilfering through Rae and Max's things. With a half smile, bright and genuine, I inquired playfully, "We don't have to stay, you know. They'll keep themselves busy." I cast a glance to the engaged couple, before bringing my softening eyes back to Melanie. "We could grab a drink, take a walk, head back to our room..." My suggestions were quite subtle and harmless, merely hinting that I had a feeling she may want to spend her birthday differently.

Without them.

With me.

"Just a thought."

(Hope this was alright, a little short, but I'm getting into the swing of things again, lol.)

Mel;

If it wasn't for those seagulls, Zach and I probably never would have been able to escape Rae and Max that night.

"Hey!" Max cried, chasing after the thieves who were now flying off with his favorite neon green sunglasses, "I bought that. Not you!"

Laughing, I silently thanked the pack of birds, before sneaking out of my little beach birthday party.

Zach and I had been eyeing one another during our whole volleyball game, ready to make our escape. What I didn't anticipate was that it would actually happen, right here, right now.

The seagulls felt like something out of a Disney movie, like when those sea creatures in The Little Mermaid stopped Ursula from marrying Eric. The moment to execute the plan we had been dying to was officially here. All I had to do was make the choice.

Did Rae notice the way I looked at Zach? She was always good at that stuff, seeing things others didn't. At least when it came to me.

I could offer fake smiles and fool everyone into thinking that I was fine, but she would be able to tell that I wasn't okay. Maybe it was the same situation here. I'd pretend I didn't have feelings for Zach, but she could smell that BS from a mile away. That knowingness, that awareness of hers that I loved, was now the bane of my existence.

But really, who'd blame her? I just came out of a nasty breakup and she was my best friend. She was only following the ten commandments of girl code: thou shall not let thee best friend be an idiot, especially when it came to a handsome blonde guy with a smile that made you squeak with speechlessness.

But it was so hard to say no to that handsome guy when the only place you wanted to go was where he was going.

And hey, it was my birthday.

"There's a park by the hotel," I said. It was a quiet little area, where families held small birthday parties and kids played on swings and slides during the day, and where, at night, no one but the stars in the sky would be.

I grabbed my things, including my blanket, and walked away with him; just moving casually, slowly…until we were out of Rae and Max's view. Then, I jumped on him for a piggy back ride.

"Guess I'm all yours now," I told him, chuckling.

Max;

"Not the pickles! Do not take the pickles!"

We were getting robbed, by a group of seagulls of all creatures, and I was not at all happy nor amused by it. And I know happiness and amusement; I'm a comedian after all!

Those greedy little guys (and gals, because I assume they have seagull wives) were flying away with our food, acting like they were the ones who spent a good hour and a half deciding between sweet pickles and dill pickles at the grocery store, damn it!

I ran after them, but because I have no wings, I can't run on sand, and Murphy and his stupid law are both evil, I couldn't keep up with them. They reminded me of those "Mine! Mine! Mine!" seagulls from Finding Nemo.

Er, I think they were seagulls.

So there went our snacks, my watch, my sunglasses, my---did they even steal anything of Rae's? No, they all knew better.

Except for one.

He (or she) stood on our towel, inching too close for comfort towards Rae's smartphone.

Now, I may not know much about women, but I do that you don't mess with a woman and her smartphone.

In my mind, I heard the old western movie soundtrack, as the gull of the sea and I had a staredown. My eye twitched a bit, but besides that, I was in badass mode. Protective boyfriend was officially activated.

The bird picked up the phone.

I charged.

Ten minutes and a bird attack later, the rescue was complete. Rae's phone, despite a few scratches, was safe.

Maybe it was due to the craziness of our whole day and how it was a miracle we made it through alive, or because she looked so cute when she was pissed, but I picked Rae up and kissed her.

When the world got to be too much, kissing those soft and freshly glossed lips made things better.

And even though it was Mel's birthday, and we had to be good hosts, I made a wish that Mel and Zach would disappear for a while so I could have Rae to myself.

Zachariah

To hear Melanie say that made the night entirely worth it, to know she was mine made leaving those dorks behind a mere necessity. Not that it hadn't been great before (minus Rae's existence) but it was nice in the 'yeah we're all together, lots of smiles' atmosphere. Now, it was just me, her beautiful eyes, and the big city at our fingertips. With a new found enthusiasm, I gave her the piggyback ride of a lifetime, easily cradling her down the city sidewalks, taking my time as opposed to rushing to our hotel. There wasn't any major destination, no need to hustle anywhere specifically; just the walking and talking itself was oddly thrilling, as if we were two fresh faced lover's in an old black and white, as opposed to an overused sitcom script. With Mel, it felt fresh, like I hadn't been screwed over three times before, as if there weren't any healing scars or bandages to peel off. She kept her arms locked around my neck, and it felt like she was secure there, instead of slipping away without me even knowing.

I didn't have a reason to worry. It was hard to adjust to, but definitely had resurrected my old self, the guy that laughed a corny movies and was poorly acquainted with negativity. She brought out the best in me, even before we'd embraced what it is we have now; I quirked a blonde brow at what that could be, and swallowed the fear Ioght get my hopes up for a short lived fling.

She wasn't like that. No way.

Eventually I set her down and settled for hand holding, accompanied by a few public kisses and a twirl here and there; I liked the proximity. It was sweet, void of threats, and all I'd really wanted. I treated my mother the same in all honesty, put her on a pedestal and always made her a first priority. It's just who I was, and with the guards down, the fresh night air and the saccharine scent that was Melanie , I felt more myself than I had in the longest time.

"There's the park," I mentioned, noting the subtle glow of foliage beneath the streetlights. It was spotted with benches, but thankfully void of people; it wasn't ever quiet or still in the big Apple, but it was less... hectic, around here, fewer taxis and no screaming religious nuts or beggars on the corner. I flipped around and held out a hand as if I was escorting her for the first time; with a bit of a bow, and a crooked grin, I murmured, "Shall we?"

Mel;

With a girlish giggle, I took Zach's hand and ignored all the screams and warnings going off in my mind. In fact, I almost couldn't even hear them anymore. This was both the worst and best idea in the world. Tonight, I was Wendy Darling in Neverland, Cinderella at the Ball, and life had never been sweeter to me.

What if he breaks your heart? that small voice in the silence told me, turning this little safe haven of a park into a forest filled with monsters and ghosts from the past. What if Peter Pan abandons you in Neverland? What happens when the clock strikes midnight and the carriage turns into a pumpkin? How will you find your way back home? How will you survive?

But I didn't want to think about that. I couldn't. Not now. Not on this magical night.

"Zach," I whispered, "kiss me. Kiss me right now, and whatever you do, don't stop."

And soon, the fireworks and butterflies from young love drowned out the voices of fear. Those fireworks and butterflies remained as we continued to kiss, as we took the elevator back to our room, and as we held one another in each other's arms in our own little Wonderland.

And they were still there, when I woke up in the morning next to him.

Explaining to Rae what happened to me and Zach was no easy task, and I wasn't entirely sure she bought the "Zach and I were tired" excuse. But what was I going to tell her? "Hey, Rae, I hope ya don't mind, but me and your fiancé's best friend are getting together"?

Hell. No.

Which is why I tried not to make too much eye contact this morning with Zach, even though I so totally wanted to. Luckily, the always oblivious Max kept us entertained throughout the ride back home. And also luckily, he seemed to distract Rae enough that Zach and I were able to rub eachother's leg every now and then and hold hands occasionally.

How long were we going to be able to keep this from them, though, was the question.

Max;

"Luuucy, I'm hooome!" I sang, swinging our apartment door open. Ah, home sweet home never looked more---well, like home!

"My books!" Mel cried, running to her room and holding her novels as if they were children. "I've missed you so much!"

"We went on vacation and you missed reading?" I raised an eyebrow.

"It's a nerd thing, okay?" Mel shrugged, still embracing the paperbacks and hardcovers.

I threw up my hands. "I'm convinced. Rae, your best friend is Belle from Beauty and the Beast."

"And you're Flynn Rider," Mel teased with a smirk.

"Better than being Gaston…or Jafar," I said, considering it. I rubbed my chin. "But I wouldn't mind being Hades…"

My phone, all of a sudden, blew up with a million texts and voicemails. Shit, that's what happens when you're on the road with no signal whatsoever. It got so bad during the trip that we couldn't get a single radio station and I actually read some of Mel's Pride and Prejudice when it was Zach's turn to drive. Now I couldn't stop thinking about Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. I made a mental note to email that Jane Austen lady and ask her if she plans on making a sequel. But first, I had to see who was calling me.

Mom and Dad…and my siblings. And they hadn't just been calling during the trip; they had been calling the past few days and I hadn't even noticed. My call log had around 500 missed calls and 200 unread texts. Yikes.

I explained the situation to Rae, and before the first ring even finished, my mother was on the other line, yelling in her thick Italian accent, "Maxy?! Is that you??"

"Yeah, Ma, it's me---"

"Why you no call me!? All day and night, I call you, your father call you, your sisters and brothers call you, the neighbor call you and no answer from you---"

"I'm so sorry, Ma. Is everything alright? Are you alright? Is dad alright?"

"What you mean? Of course we are alright. We did not know if you were alright!"

"Who is that?" I heard my Pops say in the background.

"Maxy!" Ma yelled to him.

"The taxi?" Dad yelled back.

"No, Maxy! Your son, Max!"

Within seconds, my dad grabbed the phone and began cussing me out. I told him how Rae, Zach, Mel and I had taken a last minute mini vacation, and apologized for not keeping in touch, but he kept on calling me names in Italian anyway. I wanted nothing more than to go back on the road and be on vacation with Rae forever, but unfortunately, life wasn't that simple. That, and I had no money left. Oh! But I did have enough quarters left to play a racing game at the pizza parlor down the block.

After my dad stopped screaming at me and hung up the phone, I gave Rae and the gang a recap of our conversation.

"I feel horrible," I told them, sitting on the couch. "My mom was worried sick about me. Dad says she made like, fifty pies this weekend, which is what she did when her pet chicken, Sophia Loren, went missing for a week last year."

"She has a chicken named Sophia Loren?" Mel asked.

"All I wanted was to give us all a good time, to give Rae a good time, and now my parents hate me!" I said, "Ma is even more upset at me than she was upset at Aunt Toula when she accidentally made Sophia Loren for Christmas dinner!"

Mel squinted at me. "That sentence sounded creepy on so many levels, but I see your point. I think."

"If it wasn't for the fact that they are so mean to Rae, we wouldn't have had to get away for the weekend in the first place," I said, before I tell Mel and Zach, "Love is complicated, you guys."

"You're telling me," Mel chuckled, looking at Zach. "Look, why don't we just order a pizza and figure this out together?"

"Okay, but I want Hawaiin. And I want to watch Frozen."

"We are not watching Frozen, Max."

"Why does nobody in this house like Frozen?!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back