• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Something else [Rae & Disney]

"Wait, wait, Max was arrested? When were you going to tell me!" I continued to yell, even as my fiance promptly crashed through the window, and in retaliation, slammed a My little Pony pillow right into one of the kids, relentless in my forceful swing. "Is that how you got hurt, baby?!"

My head whipped around to the cop, and I glared maliciously. "And I'm assuming it's the jail cell that Max got beat up in? On your watch? Those are bias pretenses and harassment, so I'll fight your charge with my own, buddy."

As if it were common, which it kind of was in our case, I walked over to the window and bent over, "Hunny? Are you bleeding?"

I looked over ny shoulder, at all the hell that was waiting if I turned around and headed back inside. The kid clinging to Max, Melanie and her atrocious pizza make over, and the little man who's eyes I wanted to knock out from his skull. So, like any faithful lover, I followed Max's lead, minus the scream, and hoisted myself through the window, landing on him through the shrubbery, and, even though the circumstances were uncanny, when our faces smacked together, I couldn't help but cover him in kisses, just like our first date.

---

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," I attempted to pry the brat off my leg, blushing furiously at the unexpected proximity, but she was stubborn, to the point where I could hardly limp to Melanie's side. I couldn't even be flattered, cause I felt like Adam Sandler for a while here.

It'd only gotten worse when I'd become the center of a tug of war, Melanie tugging childishly one one arm, whilst the girl a banned together in a line of Satan's spawn and tugged at my other one. I literally felt something pop out of place.

"You're condoning this?" I grunted I'm disbelief, wide eyed at the mother who just sighed, waved her hands and walked away, the cop grinning like mad.

"Yeah, you're a real tough guy. I can't nail the nut or his mouthy blonde, but I can watch this and know this week was worth it."

"You're sick!" I shouted, and the girls immediately let go for whatever reason, and I lost balance, tripped up and toppled right over the tea party table, knocking Melanie down with me, our bodies colliding in a saucey, chocolatey mess.

Max;

And even though my teeth were a mess, my face was even a worse mess, and my butt was probably bleeding, I never felt so alive nor happier in my life than to have my Rae with me.

"I just wanted to get you a baby sea lion and now, look at us!" I said, laughing at how crazy this vacation had become.

Regardless, I passionately kissed those soft and rather sweet lips of hers, pausing for only a moment to say, "Banana strawberry lipgloss? Not bad," before going back in for more of those tropical flavored kisses.

True, I was an idiot; but I was Rae's idiot. And if it's true that when you are in love, you're a fool, then I was the biggest fool of all.

"No, but seriously. You look hot as a blonde, babe. No Vogue model has a chance against my Rachel."

Mel;

This was absurd, crazy, ridiculous and----

Hilarious.

Covered in pizza, candy, and now, chocolate, Zach and I were a walking Kid's Pizza Party.

"Oh my gosh!" I said, wiping the chocolate out of my eyes, and finding Zach dressed in Twizzlers and Jolly Ranchers that stuck to his chocolate covered body.

This was too much.

I gave up.

I gave up and laughed harder than I ever had in my life.

And when Rae showed her love for Max by JUMPING OUT A WINDOW OF A TWO STORY HOUSE, tears began streaming down my face.

"You're a bunch of idiots, you know that?" The cop told me and Zach.

Still laughing, I replied, "He's right! We are…idiots. Idiots…who love each other…way too much!"

And because Rae and Max weren't around, I wrapped my arms around Zach and gave him a huge chocolatey pizza kiss right there.

"Ewwwww," the girls said, in unison.

"NO, HE'S MINE!" McKenzie screamed, before throwing a One Direction pillow at me. I was too consumed with Zach's lips to even care. Plus her parents were there, so I couldn't throw the pillow back at her.

McKenzie's parents apologized (well, her mom did) and offered to give us the toys back, but we declined and had her make a deal to pay us back instead. I'm pretty sure Rae wanted to take McKenzie to the Judge Judy show and sue her for pain and suffering, but a bad hair cut probably wouldn't be sufficient enough to win a case.

She'd probably have her lawyers fight a case for Max's medical bills, though.

The car ride back was hard for Max, because his butt hurt, or because Zach and I were getting chocolate and pizza all over his seats, I did not know, but he looked like he wanted to cry.

As we arrived back to the hotel, it was Rae I knew who would be crying though after I made her aware of the pink, saliva covered glob she had stuck in her scalp.

"Rae?" I said, as we got out of the car. "You have gum in your hair...lots of it."

It was like part of the makeover those girls were planning for Rae was making her look like Angelica's Cynthia doll from Rugrats.

Now that I thought about it, McKenzie did remind me of Angelica.

"I can help you fix it?" I offered, scared to witness Rae's reaction.

Like a defeated infant, I let out a series of whimpers, slouching against the car and putting my hands on my head, humiliated by how I looked, tears dotting my lashes.

"Ewewewww," I whined, and then seemed to perk up as a group of women strode out of the revolving doors, with newly acquired perms and manicured nails.

"Max!" I exclaimed suddenly, snatching Zachary's beanie and pulling it dramatically low on my head. He glared my way, but let up when I pouted. "Mel and I are going to the spa. We'll be gone a couple hours. Go put ice on your face."

I grabbed Melanie's hand and tugged her towards the door. "My treat, alright? Consumer it part one of two regarding your birthday present. Order whatever you want, I'm getting a much needed seaweed scrub, mani pedi, hair cut, oh... come on! Please?"

---

Though I was reluctant to let me go, if Rae was paying for her to clean up and have a relaxing rest of the evening, at least until tonight when we went out, I wouldn't argue. I grinned her way, "You should go, get Barbie on her feet again, enjoy a massage- from a woman."

I added the last part in with a rather serious look, though tried to keep it light hearted seeing as Max and Rae were both listening. "And, uh... We'll make some plans for tonight. Ones that don't involve children. Or poodles. Oooor anymore old friends."

That would be mine and Melanie's inside joke.

"Bless you," Rae told me dramatically, and I was genuinely shocked to hear her praise my comment.

I didn't know what we'd do for Melanie's birthday, but I did know it needed to put her in the spotlight, yet keep her in some form of her comfort zone. It was a huge deal, after all, and now more than ever I wanted to make it something memorable, though I doubted any thing I did would top today. This was one for the books, literally.

Max would help me plan something Melanie would adorn, the idea of being credited for whatever brought that smile out causing a stupid grin to spread across my face. After we cleaned his face up, of course. And myself; I grimaced as I tried to run my fingers through my hair, feeling the stickiness that'd probably take a thirty minute shower to get rid of.

Mel;

Being away from Zachary was a bummer for sure, but I did need some one-on-one time with Rae. Since Max came into the picture, we didn't get as much alone time as we used to. Going to the spa with her took me back to our days of being single ladies navigating the jungles of New York…which, as hard as it was to believe, was only six months ago.

When the employees and customers at the spa saw us, their jaws dropped in horror.

A group of manicurists, all Korean women, whispered to one another while eyeing me and Rae. I didn't speak Korean fluently, but I did take a few classes in freshman year of college and knew they were saying something about how odd women in this country were. And I'm pretty sure one of them called me a twelve year old boy.

Nevertheless, money was money, and once they saw Rae's credit card, we got pampered up without discrimination.

"Thank you so much, Rae!" I said, as Rae and I were getting our massages...from women, of course.

"I owe you."

Biting my lip, I debated whether or not I should ask her what I had on my mind all morning.

"Rae, when did you…like, okay. How did you, like…" I started off.

Oh, yeah. Real eloquent, Melanie. You can't even put a sentence together, and you call yourself a writer!

I sighed, knowing there was no way to dance around this issue.

"How did you know you were in love with Max?"

Max;

Once we got our shit together, Zach and I made our way over to Ocean Castle, a sea food restaurant by the beach that was cool enough to serve burgers and fries, but fancy enough to serve smoked salmon and freaking caviar.

I made reservations for the rooftop dining area, which was super exclusive and "filled up for the night, so sorry" until I mentioned I was Rae's fiance and this was where we planned to spend her best friends' birthday.

That's right; 'cause my baby had connections!

And by connections, I mean that the dude who owned this place was the Dad of one of Rae's model friends.

Booyah!

While this was going on, I noticed a tall blonde dining in the corner had her eye on Zach. Obviously, because I already had the most drop dead gorgeous woman in the world, any other girl was pale and unnoticeable in comparison, but she did look a lot like Rae's idol, Candice Swanepoel, who, according to Rae, was a beauty.

"Zaaaaach, check it ouuut." I said, grinning ear to ear. "I think she likes you, buddy."

The blonde dabbed her lips with a napkin, before carefully cutting into a piece of, what else, salmon. I could see she had on a denim jacket, a black and sleeveless crop top, leather pants, and pumps. Chic.

Hey, my fiance was a model, so of course I knew a thing or two about fashion, okay?

The blonde, noticing we were watching her, smiled at Zach.

Ohhh, Zach. That lucky man.

But with Rae, I was the luckiest, of course.

"Dude, c'mon, we're getting her number for you." I said, grabbing him, as I made my way to her table.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I said, making myself at home in her corner of the restaurant. "I'm Max, and this is my best friend, Zach. We were just wondering, what's a girl like you doing at such a nice restaurant all by herself?"

The blonde giggled, probably used to getting attention from the opposite gender all the time.

"Pleased to meet you, Max and Zach. I'm Lexi. And I'm actually on vacation by myself," she said, in a British accident.

"On vacation?" I asked. "What a coincidence, Lexi, so is Zach. Wait, is that an accident I hear? Australian, perhaps?"

"British." She corrected.

"British!" I said, looking at Zach.

"Yes, from London." She added.

"From London!"

"But I live in New York right now. Just on a weekend getaway."

"So are we! Say, what do you do in New York, Lexi?" I asked her.

"Oh, I'm a model." Lexi replied, batting her eyelashes straight in Zach's direction.

And with that, I slowly turned my head at Zach and grinned.

"Owe me? Mel, you know I'm not like that. I love you!"

As the pampering proceeded, my nerves eased; as did my attitude, which because soft and blissful as the knots in my shoulders were tended to, and I was offered a lovely glass of aloe vera, sweetened and pulp free.

"How did I know?" I turned my head towards her, my face had been wiped cleaned and had a soft green mask solidifying on it, but I didn't look like the monster us spa lovers were often portrayed as. "Oh, I knew the second he introduced himself. Tall, fair and handsome, respectful and genuine... And I love humor, his jokes had my side's aching by three AM. He knew I didn't want to work my shift till four.in the morning, you know he stayed up all night with me? Complete stranger, but we talked foreeeeever."

"And, you know me," I sighed. "When I'm upset, there's rarely a cure, and when I'm depressed, I'm... kind of a bitch." I shrugged, knowing it was true, though I didn't shame myself for it. "But when I feel down, angry, scared, absolutely broken... Max always, always, always, makes me laugh, smile, or, worst case scenario, he pins me down and tickles meeting till my side's hurt, or he'll start up the car at two in the morning, and we'll just drive. We drove to Vegas once- let me tell you, dork or not, Max reaaaally knows his poker, nabbed seven hundred in one reaaally long game. We played strip poker..." I cracked a smile, trailing off.

"Why do you ask? Got a column to work on?" I asked her, almost entirely relaxed-- until they tried to place hot rocks on my back, steaming and sizzling. "NONONOOOO, I SAID NO HOT ROCKS!"

---

"Max."

"MAX."

"Nonononono- Max," I must have mouthed and growled his name fifty times before he'd finished his introduction, a lengthy one that'd made me increasingly uncomfortable. All I kept thinking about was whether or not Melanie would walk in and catch me speaking to the woman, she'd be utterly heartbroken, and I hadn't even worked up the nerve to make us any kind of official, yet.

I slipped my hands deep in my pockets, shoulders a little high and my head occasionally tilting from one side to the other, checking for any sign of our female companions. London, blonde, model, vacation- everything I'd initially have a fun weekend with, 'cause I was young and once in a while, I'd pick life's lemons. But after last night... none of that even nudged at my excitement meter. I wasn't blind, the girl was gorgeous and interested, and I wouldn't be rude, cause it wasn't either of their faults that I was...

Was I taken?

"Well, Lexi, I hope you have a lovely vacation, come on, Max," I told him, and before he could intervene, I aggressively grabbed his muscled arm and jerked him away from her table.

"Look, look, I know, she's hot. But... this is Melanie's birthday, and I... think she deserves everyone's attention. Even mine."

Gutless. I couldn't even say why. By no means was I ashamed of embarrassed by mine and Melanie's... whatever we had. Max and Rae were just... easily excited, and I didn't want to make a scene of it, at least, not without Mel's consent. Unlike a majority of the population, I'd been raised to have respect, for both women and people in general. I wouldn't do anything without closure; dating, revealing, or officiating.

I would, however, demand the best cake my broken wallet could afford. And with another tug, I tried to near the front desk.

Mel;

Column. Sure, let's go with that.

"Uh, yeah." I said, trying to act casual. "Just a column. For work. Not like, a personal question, because I'm interested in anyone. No. Just research. For a column I have to write for. For work."

Before I could continue sounding even more like an idiot, I had hot rocks on my back.

"Whoa, that's hot!" I screamed, falling off the massage table.

"Uh oh," said the Korean woman massaging Rae. Meanwhile, the other Korean woman massaging me scolded the woman for her mistake, and the two continued to argue in Korean for the rest of the massage.

So much for a relaxing afternoon.

"So just like that? You knew you loved Max the moment you met him? Like love at first sight?" I asked her, as we were getting a manicure, pedicure and a new hair style, all at same time. Wow, this spa didn't mess around.

"How is that even possible?" I said, as I watched Rae through the mirror get something I think was called a bob cut.

All I knew was that it looked like Taylor Swift's hairdo.

"You weren't…scared to put your heart on the line like that after what happened to our parents, to our moms?"

It was a sensitive topic, and one I wasn't sure I should bring up, since this was supposed to be a fun vacation, but I couldn't help it.

I needed to know. One second we were two girls against the world, not caring to have a man especially if we had each other, and the next, Rae was getting married.

Why couldn't I let myself fall for Zach like Rae did with Max? Was there something wrong with me?

Max;

Was he actually serious? This girl was totally Zach's type. She was…she was…well, I guess any hot girl would be Zach's type.

"Dude!" I said, putting my hands on his shoulders. "Did you see the way she was looking at you? It's our last night of vacation, bro. Go for it!"

Lexi was still in the corner, watching us with big, innocent blue eyes that begged for Zach's attention.

I didn't get it. Zach would usually be all over a girl like this. Cute girls used to come by and watch me do stand-up all the time, and Zach and I would have some fun nights with them like any 20 something guys would, until one night I met a particular cute girl who stole my heart.

But Zach was still single, so what was the problem?

"You're not going to get better than that, my man." I said, nodding to Lexi. "Well, unless you get Rae, but you can't have her 'cause she's mine." I added, smiling proudly.

Out of nowhere, Lexi swiftly came up behind Zach with a piece of notebook paper in her hands.

"My number." She explained. "If you want to, you know, hang out?"

And on paper was the signature of Lexi Porter with a little heart on the "i" on her name, her phone number, and a pink kiss mark.

It took everything in me not to squeal like a little twelve year old girl at a One Direction concert.

"Scared to death," I answered, thickly as my throat had instinctively tried to close on me, an anxious reaction to keep from saying to much. But this was Melanie, she knew everything, and what a relief that was.

"And... that fear doesn't ever really go away. There's always a possibility that he'll leave, he's a guy, I see him admiring other women and... his father practically hates me. I'm just too tired to constantly wonder. Instead, we... sit down, or usually take a drive, and talk, when either of us grow insecure, sometimes we just have to fight about it, though it's never gotten too big. It's all we can do is stay connected. I know that if he ever does move on," my voice cracked and I looked up as the tears mockingly took residence on my waterlines; I was surprised at how suddenly the water works had threatened to come. I'd cried a lot today, but this was a different thing entirely. My deepest fear yet. "If he ever does, I know he'll at least let me know, cause we have a friendship first. And I won't hold it against him, cause he's given me the best six months of my life, and he's young. I can't expect perfection to last forever, we know better. Everything's a risk, I just... have faith in him."

"Ooooh, so sad!" My hairstylist wiped at her eyes, as did the one doing my toes. "You make me sad!"

I laughed a little, but couldn't help adding one very choked up sob in there, attempting to plaster that smile back on, but I knew there was a fear in me that all I could do was suppress and deny.

---

I watched Lexi leave and sighed, waiting until she'd disappeared before I'd torn it, for her safety sake, and tossed it in the nearest bin. She was gorgeous, but that was it; she didn't have Melanie's nose, or the drunk giggling I wanted to get intoxicated by again, or that sweet aroma that'd kept me cuddled to her all night long. And she didn't hold the sense of promise for long term like Mel did, he saw one night stamped on her the moment they locked eyes, and it might have been enticing at one point, but...

Not now.

"Max..." I groaned, reaching up to adjust my beanie and cursing again as I kept remembering it'd been stolen by that woman of his. "You can keep that insufferable woman, but make her give my beanie back."

"Just... trust me on this, alright? You know me, I wouldn't turn down anything if I didn't know there was something better." I grinned, hoping he'd just take my word, though Max probably would keep at it, knowing him and his dense tendencies.

"...When you met Rae, did you just... know?" I asked him, abruptly changing the subject in the least subtle way possible. "Like, no games, no one nighters, willingness to communicate and all the... nerves. Was it like that? Was it gradual or just a first sight thing? How'd you know She was... loyal?"

Mel;

Faith.

So Rae had her own fears to deal with, too.

As perfectly happy as she seemed with Max, she still had her own insecurities and demons to struggle and battle with.

Yet, despite it all, they made it work.

Would the fear and the monsters and nightmares that came with them ever go away, or did you just learn to deal with them day by day? Could I learn to deal with it, to have faith and make it work with Zach, too?

Later on, I kept thinking about this as Rae and I got ready for dinner in her and Max's room.

Crazy as it was, I found myself deciding on what outfit to wear based upon what I thought Zach would most enjoy. The pink tank top with jeans? Too casual. One of Rae's cocktail dresses? Too fancy and totally not my style.

And then I came across the white lace cropped tee and matching short lace skirt.

Lace would work, with some tan heels I could borrow from Rae.

Playing with my brand new curls and checking my outfit out in the mirror, I asked Rae, "Do you think any guy could ever love me, Rachel?"

No doubt, I had given her a loaded question, but I knew Rae would never lie to me. She always called me out on my crap, but with lots of love; and she wouldn't ever dare let me sink in self pity or listen to the Low Self Esteem Monster.

Right now, I needed her to remind me what was real and who I was, just like she always did. I desperately needed her to pull me out of this confusion in the way only she could.

Max;

"What---are---you---?" I asked Zach, choking on my words. No, seriously. What was up with him?

"Are you FREAKING BLIND?! You just have the hottest girl in the world---besides Rae---give you her number, and you---you---?"

Oh, I could have fainted right then. I could have just fainted!

And then we got to my favorite topic (Rae), and suddenly, the fact that Zach turned that British babe down didn't matter anymore.

Rubbing the back of my neck, I smiled and thought back to that night. Her giggle standing out from the crowd. Those bright cat-like eyes. The way her nose crinkled when I told her a fart joke for the first time.

Is that how I knew? Was it love at first sight?

"Man, it's…I don't know." I started, playing with my hair. "Like I knew she was hot and all, but…she was more than that. Rae had a hard life growing up, and yet she didn't let that stop her, ya know? It took a while to get her to open up, and I'm still trying. She's such a strong and independent woman, but she's so compassionate and understanding, too. I mean, you see the way she is with Mel. Rae is the most loving and beautiful human being I have ever met. Plus, she doesn't put up with my shit. But she loves me for me, and I knew I wanted her from the moment I first met her; but each day I fall more and more in love with her. And, dude, as crazy and hard as love is, she is so worth it."

Now, thinking about Rae made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

"Why do you ask?"

Blonde. Blonde! Can you believe it? I can't decide on what I think. And yes, I could have dyed it Brown again, but...

Max likes it. That, and I don't want to dye ever again. Least they didn't have some Kylie Jenner fetish or I'd be blue and puckering for life.

Melanie had caught my attention by using my full name, which anyone only did if it was a serious, direct issue. I continued to cost my lashes in organic mascara, whilst I answered.

"Honey, that's not the question you should be asking. The question is, could you ever love him? Not just, a guy, because, a guy, could suck," I stepped out of the bathroom, smoothing down my little black dress. "You'll know your 'Charming when you find him, cause the risk I was talking about? Yeah, it'll be so worth it. Maybe you already have, considering you asked me this."

"Word of advice? Develop a friendship first. At least if the romance dies, you won't end up cutting each other off and spitting the venomous ex title. Max and I promised each other that, friends first, lovers second. That's just us, though, method might not work for everyone."

"Have some confidence Melly, you look gawgeous, and you're a hella sexy woman when you let the walls down. You're with the people that love you, even Zachary," I spoke of him like a child, which to me, he often was. I held up both hands, lightly bouncing her adorable curls on my palms and pouting. "Oh, Gawwwwd, I miss my long hair."

My eyes fell to her bare feet, "Need some heels? Check my suitcase. I'd share some jewelry, but, you know me, I don't wear anything aside from my engagement ring..." I adorned it in the light, Max on one knee flashing through my mind.

---

It was odd listening to Max really elaborate.on that goofy grin he got whenever he thought of his fiance; I'd never understood it myself, especially being blinded by the bitterness that came with Alice's break up. But, it was starting to make sense now, and I could even Feel myself relating; albeit in a totally confused, I-think-I-do-but-I-Don't-know way.

I wanted to add the adjectives loud, haughty and know-it-all, one's that I thought of when his brune-- blonde, came to mind, but with Melanie, everything was soft, and sweet. Dorky, and a little clumsy, but I could match that with the not-so-masculine blushing and tendency to be overly aggressive with opposition.

"You just... dropped everything for her, though. No more date nights- hell, 'till we moved into together I hardly even saw you. And you knew your family would be upset, but you just... proposed anyway. I think my family would love--" I gulped. "Whomever I'm dead set on. And it's not the opposition I'm worried about, screw people. It's just... fighting for someone and knowing what a risk it is."

I tried not to touch there, but it was inevitably coming. "After Alice... I've been an ass, and isolated myself, inhaling turpentine way too long." I chuckled, "I punched holes through walls, and went into some dark water coloring... along with other more destructive things. I don't want to be that guy, ever again. You know?"

Mel;

The thought of what I would do if I didn't have Rae in my life sent chills down my spine. How did I get so blessed to have such a friend like her? She truly was my guardian angel.

My heart skipped a beat when she mentioned I might have already met Prince Charming, and for a second, I wondered if she knew. I was so close to breaking down and confessing, but like Rae usually did, she just kept on talking.

"Friends before lovers, eh?" I said, applying my candy flavored lip gloss. No matter what happened with me and Zach, I would still want to keep his friendship, since Rae and Max were going to be husband and wife; but also because, romance or not, I enjoyed his companionship. He was like Rae, but in male form, and not as loud.

Being called gorgeous and sexy, by Rae of all people, who, friends or not, was picky with whom she considered worthy of those titles, gave me that extra boost of confidence I so dearly needed.

"…You're with the people that love you, even Zachary…"

Did Zach love me? Somehow, the idea of that being true gave me butterflies in my stomach, and I found myself grinning like an idiot, as I slipped on Rae's heels.

And then, giving her a huge hug, I whispered in Rae's ears, "You are the best friend a girl could ever have. I love you so much, Rachel."

Max;

Boy, I knew exactly how he felt.

"Did I ever tell you about Carly?" I asked him, shoving my hands in my pockets. "She was the first girl I ever fell for. Met her back in high school. She was one of those cute artsy types. One of those girls who listened to indie rock music and carried her Polaroid everywhere. Wore cute vintage dresses, had her own band. Think Zooey Deschanel, if she were the school president. Anyway, I was totally obsessed with her like all the other sixteen year old boys were, but Carly wasn't so crazy about me. At least, not the real me. She'd always tried to get me to eat tofu and took me to these god-awful plays about death, and…and you know what I noticed about her, man? Not one time in the two years we had dated did she ever laugh at one of my jokes. You know what she would tell me instead? She'd tell me, 'Shut up, Maxwell.'

Maxwell! Can you fucking believe that?"

Honestly, I didn't know if I was answering his question or not, nor if any of this even made sense to him, but I did know one thing.

"Look, bro. I know Alice messed you up." I said, slowly. Man, did she mess him up bad. Poor fella didn't eat or sleep for weeks after they broke up.

"But if you ask me, she didn't deserve you one bit. So I may not know much about love, but I know that the best thing you can do is find your best friend. The best thing you can do is find the girl who laughs at your jokes."

And because serious topics were never my thing, I asked him, "Alright, are we gonna party and give Mel the best birthday of her life, or what?!"

Brazil-Rio-Vitza-Rooftop.jpg

Melanie and I took a cab to the restaurant after our heart warming, much needed discussion. Like I'd hoped, the boys chose a fancy establishment perched just along the line up beside the beach itself, over looking the sea, dimly lit with cascading lights, spotted with social elites, hot shots, tourists and celebrities in disguise, hoping for an evening without the paparazzi. To no avail, men in black with cameras hung around the outside of the restaurant, entry denied by towering hulks in black suits who guarded the entrance for a safe, light hearted night. It wasn't as posh as it was delicious, though, cause the four of us weren't really the wave your martinis and laugh with money fan type.

I got a second text from Max, one that'd amplify her wonderful birthday dinner; the whole restaurant had agreed to dim the lights and await Melanie's arrival. Upon her entry, everyone was to surprise her with rounded acknowledgment and a birthday cake towards the end. It was a wonderful idea, though I was able to maintain my grin until we'd hopped out of the cab and stepped onto the sand brushed pavement.

"I really hope you enjoy your night, Melanie. We can stay as late as you want," I flashed a smile. Course I hadn't forgotten about the odd, romance associated questions she'd asked me earlier, but I wouldn't pry now, maybe she'd get drunk and just spill it to me later, eh?

---

We have arrriiiived.

Zachary stared at the text in Max's phone from Rae for a lengthy moment, before jogging around the restaurant, demanding everyone be in their places and ready to surprise the woman as soon as she arrived. "You can't be too slow or she'll be disappointed, but... don't scream, cause it'll freak them both out. No confetti, cause they probably did their hair..."

He glanced up, gesturing for the waiter to tone down the lighting. The view from the window panels was gorgeous, a blue sky with streaks of pink clouds as the sun gradually set, touching the ocean and igniting a flame of orange that just started to gleam in a way that was too bright to look at directly. There was a somewhat contemporary vibe to the restaurant, beige and silky, a sense of solitude but not isolation; one that reminded him of Melanie. She was elegant but not cocky, a bit of blush and a breath taking view, mild not spicy, but by no means did she lack flavor.

He really, really, really, hoped she'd like it.

Mel;

The restaurant towered over us, taking my breath away with its stunning design. It really did look like a castle with the way it shined like a shooting star. It was so…luxurious.

Was this really where I was spending my 20th birthday?

Growing up, I didn't have birthday parties.

A birthday was just another day, with the only difference being my change of age. When I was little, the day was spent witnessing my parents argue about something stupid like where we were going to eat, or why my dad wouldn't buy us tickets and a trip to Disneyland because it was too expensive.

The arguments would get so crazy that mom would leave the house, dragging me along, and we'd end up staying at Gramma's or my Aunt Marci's for a few days.

On one particular birthday, the birthday on the year my dad left, the argument was about flirty texts Dad had on his phone that came from another woman.

"Who is Heather?" My mother demanded, shoving his BlackBerry up to his face.

"What are you doing looking through my phone?!" Dad replied, cleverly dodging the question.

"What am I doing looking through your phone?" Mom asked, with mock surprise. "What are you doing CHEATING ON ME??"

The next thing I knew, mom was sobbing, while Dad told her how they were over, how it had been over for a long time. He didn't love her anymore, and he wanted a divorce.

Escaping to my room, I put my headphones on and listened to piano renditions of Disney songs; and I tried to drown out reality with fantasy, because at least in fantasy, Prince Charming wouldn't run around with Snow White or Aurora behind Cinderella's back. He wouldn't dump her for Elsa, the new girl on the block. He would always stay loyal to her and would love her and protect her until the end of time.

But my life was not a fantasy. It was no Disney movie with fun songs and a happily ever after.

And so the next day, Dad started moving out, and before I could even say goodbye, he was gone.

I cried a lot, and mom drank even more. Her addiction only got worse, and I grew apathetic to my birthdays, but my friendship with Rae became stronger. No matter how bad it got, she was there with open arms. Everyone else left, but she was the one to count on to remain.

I didn't need Prince Charming as long as I had her.

And now, as I about to celebrate my 20th birthday, here she was still.

"Why's it so dark in here?" I asked, as we entered the place, and then just as I was about to ask Rae what was going on…

"SURPRIIISE!" A huge crowd of servers and restaurant patrons cried. I could see Max and Zach, sweet and caring Zach, in my view, and I felt like the happiest girl alive, especially when I saw the strawberry cake with my name on it, decorated with 20 pink candles.

"Okay!" Max said, "Like we practiced!"

And then came the song.

"Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday dear Melanieee,

Happy Birthday to youuu!"

Max;

"WOO!" I yelled out, pumping my fist in the air, until I caught sight of Rae and her new hairdo. Dang, was that my girl?

"Well, helloooo gorgeous!" I said, swinging my arm around her. "You look like an angel."

Lovingly, I gave her a long and passionate kiss.

This new look would take some time to get used to, but brunette or blonde, I still belonged to the most beautiful woman on this planet.

After our mini make-out session, I put my attention back on the party. Proud of my work (and okay okay, Zach's too), I grinned at the sight of a shocked Mel.

Zach had been making a fuss and was going crazy trying to make this the perfect surprise birthday party that by the time Mel came in, I was relieved and ready to eat. I wondered if planning me and Rae's wedding would be this detailed!

Eh, probably not.

"Make a wish, Mel!" I said, excited.

Mel squeezed her eyes closed tight, but she didn't make a wish.

Instead, she began shaking. She was crying. Sobbing.

"Mel?" I asked, growing concerned. "Shit, is it the cake? Did they spell your name right?"

"I told you it was Melanie with two L's!" One of the chefs said to another.

"No," Mel said, sniffing and hiccuping. "I l…love it. I just…never had a surprise…birthday before!"

"Really?" I said, embarrassed. Oh no. Maybe Mel hated surprises. In that case, she would hate the surprise I had for her during dinner. "Well, it's not my fault. It was Zach's idea! Please don't be sad, Mel! I'm so sorry---"

Mel giggled, still sniffing. "You didn't do anything wrong, Max. I'm crying because I'm so happy right now."

Ohhh. Riiight.

"Psh, I knew that!" I said, playing cool. "I mean, it was my idea too, but I just wanted to give Zach some, you know, credit. You know…"

"Thank you." Mel said to me, before looking at every single person who surrounded her. "Thank you all."

And out of nowhere, still crying, she gave Zach a huge hug, and wait a second…

A kiss on the cheek.

"Aww," the crowd went, smiling at the two of them like they were a couple almost.

Ha. Mel and Zach, a couple. Like that was ever going to happen. I mean, am I right?

But more importantly, why didn't I get a hug, too?!!

The kiss on the cheek was proof enough I'd outdone myself, and now all I had to worry about was living to these expectations every year. At least, I hoped I'd still be here for the next birthday. And the next one, and the next one, and the... Well, you get the idea. Sounds resumed, the clatter of dishes, employees running around to try and catch up with the work they'd generously held off for Melanie's warm welcome- Okay, maybe my wallet had a little to do with that, but the chefs were genuine! Half off on the cake decal!

I could deal with Max's stuttering, but man, he could go back and forth on his decisions way before I could even compute it, and be angry with him. That, and considering his bruised face, I wouldn't doubt for one second Rae would toss me over the side of the terrace if I called Max out on anything, so, as always, I bit my tongue. After all, he'd helped coordinate and pay, and that had to count as a true friend; ridiculousness was just inevitable, that's all.

"You look beautiful, though I'm sure you heard that a billion times today," I told her, slipping my arm around her waist and then wiping lightly at the tears that'd run down her cheeks.

I ushered her across the eating quarters, and towards a stretched out sort of terrace, spotted with ten, polished tables and one, closest to the edge for the best view of the ocean, had four chairs circling it. "We got a table outside, inside seemed nice until a family reunion showed up with boatloads of kids..."

"No more children!" I heard Rae plead, and subconsciously she combed her fingers through her hair, wincing as it only reached her shoulders.

The salty sea air was thick and chilly, though fires were lit within uniquely shaped fire pits, like torches but classier, on each edge of the transparent fencing. We'd have to mock the riches at least once up here, it was just too damn glossy! Hastily, I pulled out Melanie's chair, gulping a little as I noticed Rae's observant gaze, though all too quickly she was trotting off and dragging Max to what she believed were dolphins farther out in the blue.

"Happy birthday," I mumbled, and bent down to sneak a proper kiss, before slipping into the seat beside her, and waving over a waiter who was far too eager to take my money- I mean, our orders.

"Evening, my name's Giovanni, and I'll be your server today. Can I get you drinks to start off with?"

"Champagne for four," I requested, and then nudged Mel. "Any thing you want, no healthy eating today, that's lame." With a crooked grin, I gazed at the menu, though snuck glances at her every now and then. If it wasn't obvious already, I had a crush. More than a crush, but I sure treated it like one; glances, goofy grins and blowing my paycheck just to see her smile- the only thing I regretted was not doing this sooner.

-

"You know those really big, chilled, crystalline bowls of shrimp? And it gives off this kinda gross, fresh fish aroma, but it tastes amazing?" I asked, both perfectly groomed eyes brows quirked at the waiter. "Yeah, one of those, with that thick, tangy red sauce in more than those annoying little blue cups... and... Mmm... cheesy bread sticks, but easy on the garlic, you know? And don't let the bread burn--"

"Rae, you're going to fill up on appetizers again," Zach commented.

"You know I'll still be hungry when the steak comes out," I shrugged, wrapping my arms around Max's torso in order to warm up. Watching Melanie cry had taken me back to darker times, years that we both worked so hard to escape, though every now and then, there was a trigger. I'd been iffy on the whole surprise thing, but this was a milestone for the four of us, a chance to open up one chapter and close another. Hello twenty, goodbye childhood! If only the scars were as easily erased as words made them seem to be...

No, I wasn't going to question what was becoming a constant inquiry in my brain since she kissed Zachary's cheek. Of course I was dying to know! But I'd seen too many sitcoms to dare wondering aloud something unlikely but possible, this was a special day for my best friend, and I'd be a real shmuck to indulge in curiosity and potentially awkwardify everything. Nope. Nu-uh. Wouldn't do it.

Oh, but the temptation.

Mel;

"Can I get a Diet Coke with that champagne, no ice, please?" I asked the waiter, before lovingly but ever-so-casually rubbing Zach's leg and then slipping my hand in his. Gosh, we were like school kids, stealing glances, sharing silly grins, and secretly holding hands under the table. There were so many butterflies dancing in my tummy, you would have thought my stomach was a nightclub. For butterflies, of course.

After our drinks came, Max, out of nowhere, stood up with his champagne and a fork in his hand.

"Excuse me," Max said, tapping the fork against the drink a few times before the delicate glass broke, causing a few people to gasp.

Max, ladies and gentlemen. Forever keeping it classy since 1991.

And like Max, he only acknowledged the broken glass for two seconds, and continued with whatever the hell he was doing right now.

"I'd like to make a toast to my fiance's best friend, Melanie. Mel, you've been Rae's rock for so many years now, always taking care of her, and for that, I thank you."

There was some light applause from our neighbors, and I got to admit, I was touched.

"Aw! Thank you, Max--" I started.

"So with that, I think we should open your gifts!" Max said, with a grin that scared the shit out of me. Oh, no. What was he up to now??

"Max, we can do gifts later---"

But then the music started playing.

Max;

Getting Josh Maddox, the lead singer of Mel's favorite boyband growing up, The Maddox Boyz, to come sing at Mel's birthday party wasn't an easy quest, but they always say you're just six miles---or was it degrees?---away from the people you wanted to meet. Sooo when I found out from Rae how much Mel had always wanted to meet Josh when she was little, I ended up also finding out that my manager's wife's best friend's brother's boyfriend's son was Josh's manager; and bam, I got in contact and luckily enough, Josh agreed to do the favor since he was such a big fan of mine!

That, and because I agreed to pay him.

"Mmmm, oh

Yeah, aye girl

It's JMad in the house, baby

A bunch of girls immediately started screaming when he came out, microphone in hand, but the only girl he had his eyes on was Mel.

"Hey girl, I know we're just friends

And relationships are just so overrated

But I can't help it, I'm falling in love with you

And I think it's been long enough that we've waited…
"

With that sexy and smooth way of his, he winked at Mel, whose jaw was dropped to the ground Sebastian from the Little Mermaid style.

Taking off his black leather jacket and throwing it across the room, making a bunch of girls fight over it, Josh danced his way to our table.

"Hey, girl I know you're scared

And so am I

But I can't stop loving you

So why don't we give it a try?
"

As if he couldn't make the girls envy Mel any more, he grabbed her from her seat, twirled her around, and pulled her close, his hand on her waist, as he sang,

"Tonight, I'ma cross the boundaries

Tonight, I'ma cross the line

Baby girl, tonight I'ma go for it

Tonight, I'm gonna make you mine

'Cause I love you

'Cause I love you

'Cause baby, I love you

Do you love me too?
"

Mel, eyes wide, looked over at me and mouthed, "Max, what the hell?!", to which I mouthed back, with a thumbs up, "I know right?!"

I was so glad she was enjoying it.

Getting closer to Mel, Josh danced more and nuzzled his nose against hers, making the audience go "oooh!", and making Mel squirm and blush.

Laughing, I patted Zach on the back and said, "Isn't this great? Because of me, Mel might just end up getting with the guy of her dreams. I should be a matchmaker!"

Maybe it was just me, but Zach didn't seem to me to be as excited as I was. But maybe I was just imagining things.

I looked over at Rae and rose an eyebrow, communicating with her telepathically (or at least I liked to think so, since we were connected like that).

Was Zach okay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ew, pop. Hadn't had an interest since NSYNC, and to this day I couldn't understand that infatuation, either. Of course, I, personally, was touched by Max's little speech, his handsomeness radiating and that goofy charm neary taking my breath away; when this Jmad guy came out, I hardly noticed him, though I doubt anyone missed Melanie's emotions that washed over her face as the scenes unfolded. No, I observed them- and caught the discomfort like a female distress signal!

Oh, Max. When will you learn you have to run things by me first? If my theorizing is legit... You have royally screwed the evening. But I think it was a sweet idea.

Likely, I only managed to get the last part through to him, but if our lovers telepathy hadn't done the trick, Zachary's abrupt departure did. He whipped out his chair and shoved past the table with brute strength, accompanied by the sudden gust of wind his thrust had sent the entirety of our table toppling over with a clash.

Quite a few eyes to buldged in his direction, mostly fearful. His steps were swift and, in moments, he'd disappeared into the restaurant.

---

Unexpected consequences of secretive dating? You can't nail your friend in the face when he tries to hook up your girl with some swoon worthy musician. It'd taken every ounce of maturity I had to not impale my fists into either of their faces, we'd been to the jail house enough for one week. Utterly so, however, I was heartbroken, and the rage that consumes me in moments like these had gone into a wrestling match with the familiar ache of dejection.

"I asked for it," I mumbled to myself, the adrenaline leading my heart to beat increasingly fast. "I'm so fucking stupid, what the hell was I thinking?"

My shoes thudded against the wooden dock, the chill of the salty sea air hardly fanning against my heated skin, broiling with a temper I'd never really been able to calm without a sudden departure. One of them, if not the three, would come looking for me almost immediately, my green eyes were settled on the entrance to the building, till a sudden blur to my vision caught me off guard and I felt along my chin, only to have a puddle in the midst of my palm.

I just hoped they'd be smart enough to know I was in no place for kind hearted analogies and emotional support. Not when I felt so obviously rejected in the presence of some teen heartthrob... I knew I should've worn the leather jacket today!

Max;

Oookay, so that was not the reaction I expected from Zach.

"I get he doesn't like boyband pop, but that was just rude," I said, almost offended.

Honestly, though, it scared me. Very rarely did I ever see Zach that upset, and when he was that bothered with something, it was serious; but it was also extremely weird. Why would he be so upset by Mel's happiness? It was totally obvious by her insane blushing and wide eyes that she was loving it, and I knew that Rae, thanks to our telepathic powers, thought it was a sweet idea!

Gee, if I didn't know any better, I would have thought Zach had been bitten by the jealousy bug.

Luckily, like always, I knew better.

But then Mel started acting weird, too.

"Zach…Zach, come back!" She cried out, before shooting a disgusted look at JMad's face and saying, "Ugh, get off of me!"

"What's wrong?" I whispered to Rae, like a soap opera was unfolding in front of us. "I thought she was totally diggin' it!"

But instead, all she seemed to care about right now was Zach.

Mel;

Running in heels was definitely not what I wanted to be doing now, but when you were in love, sometimes in was the only option.

"Zach!" I called out again, pushing my way around servers and guests. "Excuse me, excuse me…sorry…coming through…"

A few people cussed me out and they had good reason to, but damn it, I loved Zach and the hell if I was going to lose him, especially over some has-been pop star trying to relive his glory days in a seafood restaurant that serves fish hamburgers.

After what felt like forever, I finally found him.

"Zach?" I repeated, shocked by the mixture of rage and hurt on his face. As if looking into a mirror, it reminded me of a time not too long ago, a feeling that I had once been all too familiar with…

And I knew. I knew exactly how he felt right then, because I had experienced that same pain myself, and in that moment, I was his.

All his.

"Forget Josh Maddox." I told him. "Forget all those other guys out there. I'd rather be with you. Zach, I want to be with you and nobody else."

And with a passionate kiss on those sweet mint-flavored lips, I made my point loud and clear as I possibly could.

"Oh, Max," I sighed dramatically, looking onwards as if our table hadn't flipped over, and our two friends didn't rereate a scene from an eighties movie by running off the terrace theatrically. How do I explain this to my oblivious fiance?

"I can see what's happening."

"What?"

"And they don't have a clue."

"Who?"

"They'll fall in love and here's the bottom line. Our quads down... To... Um, three."

"Oh."

I continued in a sarcastic mock-French accent, quoting Disney as if it were the norm. Cause it was. "Ze sweet caress of twilight, there's magic everywhere... And with all this romantic atmosphere... Disaster's in the air!"

Because why wouldn't I quote Timon and expect Max to be Pu- Mista Pig?

---

If it'd been anyone else's life, I'd have scoffed and dismissed it for being too much like one of Rae's sitcoms. But this was my life, and this was Melanie, and damn, it felt like I hadn't held her in a years time. True, it was bruising to the ego as she'd seen me, scowling and tear stained on alone bench amidst the beach goers. My sensitivity didn't seem to bother her, though, and wordlessly we sat there for a while, hugged together like we'd been on the brink of disaster, both entirely uninterested in the pop-tart upstairs.

"I seriously can't believe Max hired that guy, and when I saw you two up there... If I would've stayed his perfect, pearly teeth would've been engraved in the floorboards," I confided, but hugged her tighter than usual. "I just... Planned this special for you and some douche stole my spotlight. Yours. Ours. Hell, I don't know."

"I don't know if you know, but I'm kind of crazy about you. Like back in middle school, I feel like the dorky guy with acne who's chasing the quirky bookworm." I offered a lopsided smile, imagining that'd be our mist accurate description. Minus the acne and worminess. "And I'm... Not hard to communicate with, thanks to my mom. But this temper has a lot of triggers, and that asshole? He's one of them. Rae is another, actually she's fifty percent of my agitation."

Max;

"What's a motto?" I asked, before adding, "Nothing. What's a motto with YOU?!"

Just like that, I cracked myself up silly, and within eight seconds (and I'm pretty sure Rae was counting) it hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Zach. And Mel. In love. Are you kidding me??"

As far as I knew, and I knew A LOT, Zach did not go for the brainiac types who read Jane Eyre novels (or was it Jane Austen?) and jammed to classical music in their cars.

Mel was cute, sure, but that was the thing.

She was cute and innocent like a baby bunny rabbit wrapped in a pink blanket; she wasn't as gorgeous and exciting as Rae. Besides, wasn't she too young for Zach?

She had been barely a teenager since…well, since yesterday. According to my knowledge, she was not at all the type of girl Zach dated…

Unless that's exactly what he liked about her!

"Babe, get me my magnifying glass and smoking pipe. We've got ourselves a new case to crack." I told her.

Mel;

There comes a time in every relationship when you get to see the person behind the smiles and the jokes. Behind every person's mask of put-togetherness lived a messed up soul like ourselves who needed one simple thing we needed: love.

And I, Melanie Brogan, wanted to give this man all the love I could give and then some.

"Zach, just being with you is enough. Right now, this moment with you is all I could ever want; and to be honest, I'm pretty crazy about you, too. I can barely speak, think or breathe when I'm around you. Just feel my heartbeat!"

I pulled his hand to my chest, letting him feel the beating of my smitten heart.

In a more serious tone, though, I added, "Zach, I don't know your full story, or what you've been through, but I promise to be everything you deserve and…"

Love you the way you should have been loved.

But I couldn't say that word: love. Not after what happened with the boys I've loved.

I wanted to love and be loved back.

I wanted to fall in love, but that's the thing. You have to fall and falling means running the risk of no one catching you.

So instead, I said, "…care for you the way you should have been cared for."

"Ohhh, if you're Sherlock I'm Irene," I bounced with far too much enthusiasm, and then paused for a moment when a waiter came, readjusted our table (while we sat there blank faced) and placed a crystalline bowl spotted with fresh, peach prawns and a side container of marinara sauce. "You know, it'd be a shame if all this went to waste..."

He set four fancy glasses down and poured champagne into each one, setting the bottle down just mere inches from us and then straightening his posture. "And that's only the appetizer, have you chosen your meals or do you need a little more time? There's a special on the sirloin."

"Maaaaaaax there's a special on the sirloin!" With both arms latched around him and my head on his shoulder, I batted my lashes coquettishly, "It'd be criminal to pass up a deal like that."

"What am I saying? Our friends need emotional support and level headed opinions," I added, but there was little conviction in my words. "Buy they have the baked cinnamon apples..."

---

I hugged her close, keeping my hand lightly placed over her beating heart and the other arm firmly wrapped around her waist. With her head tucked under my chin, I kissed the top of it, but had strategically placed her there for the sake of my pride, while a few more tears streaked my cheeks and jawline. There was some ridiculous notion engraved in my ego that crying scathed masculinity, I doubted Melanie would mind, apparently she had empathy that far exceeded what I'd been used to, at least as far as relationships go.

"Thanks, Mel," I laughed a little, genuinely so as she was one of the few that could bring me to do so even in a darker state of mind. I inhaled her aroma, mixed feminine scents and a perfume I couldn't place. "

Soft, light, genuine- she wasn't intense, overwhelming or hounding, just baring a sense of solace I'd only ever embraced with my mother. Not to say she lacked, because Melanie Brogan didn't lack anything as far as I was concerned. In fact, she made me question my former standards, if I could even call them that.

"Where were you about six years ago?" I thought aloud and reached up a hand to wipe my face as discreetly as possible, "You would have saved me years of, just... Absolute hell."

"I'll make that same promise," I held a pinky up to her, mentally cursing as I caught that adorable gaze of hers and felt my face flush from the nape of my neck to the tips of my ears. "...Do you..."

Know you make it hard for me to breathe?

"...Want to head inside? Or ditch this place? Scratch that, Max pitched in a hundred, he might kill us if we waste it." With a bashful look I averted her gaze and looked to the distant terrace, but I couldn't see our companions. What would they think? Max is relatively lax about everything.

But Rae? I'll never hear the end of it.

Max;

Sirloin steak sounded great, but I was still worried about Zach.

"I dunno, Rae." I replied. "Maybe we should check on Zach and Mel---"

And then I heard "baked", "cinnamon", and "apples" in the same sentence and I was sold.

"BAKED CINNAMON APPLES!" I cried, jumping up from my seat. "Sign me up. I'll take one hundred, please!"

But Zach. And Mel. They needed us.

But baked cinnamon apples.

No. I had to help my best pal and be there for him. Zach was my best buddy in the whole world, and if he wasn't happy, I wasn't happy either. No way, nuh-uh.

But baked cinnamon apples.

NO! MUST. RESIST. URGE. AND HELP. ZACH.

"Hey, who cares about Zach?" A squeaky voice said. On my shoulder was a Tinkerbell sized version of me in devil horns, trying to get my attention. "Eat the baked cinnamon apples. You know you want to."

Pop! Another little guy who looked like me appeared on my shoulder, dressed like an angel with a harp and everything.

"Nooo, we gotta help Zach!" He begged me. "He's your best friend and would do the same for you."

"He also would throw a little temper tantrum in an exclusive restaurant that serves the best shrimp I must say," the devilish side of me said.

"You're right. It is delish." I replied, before realizing that I was getting way too distracted by food.

"Uh, sir? Are you okay?" Our server asked me, with a raised eyebrow.

Mel;

"Where was I six years ago?" I asked, laughing. "Trying to survive my first year of high school and my horrible braces. Oh, and getting thrown in the dumpster by cheerleaders and jocks."

Doing the math, it occurred to me that Zach and Max were seniors when Rae and I were just freshmen. If we knew them back in high school, we wouldn't have had stood a chance.

What were they like back in high school anyway?

Obviously, Max was definitely the class clown. Probably popular, perhaps a jock, but still as silly as a child and slow as a snail.

Zach, on the other hand, remained a mystery. Was he the outgoing type who got invited to a lot of parties? Or did he stay home on Friday nights and paint? Did he sit in the back of the class and have lunch by himself or did he run with a large crowd? Would he have noticed me in high school, and if so, would he have liked what he would have seen?

Would Zach have wanted me six years ago?

What did it matter? He wanted me now.

But, would he want me forever?

Well, he did pink swear on our promise. That was a start.

"Do you…"

"Yes?" I responded, eager to know what he was about to ask.

But he just wanted to head back inside.

"Oh, Rae and Max. Right." I said, remembering. I cringed at the thought of how Rae would react when we got back.

But it was Max who was losing it. Apparently, he had been going crazy, looking for us all over the restaurant and almost collided with us when he found us.

"I bought you baked cinnamon apples! And a cupcake. Please don't hate me." He said, handing Zach the treats. The cupcake had "I'm sorry" written in frosting.

"I don't know what I'm sorry for, but I'm still sorry." He added, matter of factly.

"I'm still getting my money, right?" Josh Maddox asked, popping into the conversation. Whatever I saw in this guy as a twelve year old girl definitely beats me, but I was glad Max ordered the apples.

With a look of entitlement, I swiped the cupcake from Max, picking it apart whilst I protectively slipped an arm around Melanie's waist. That was something I could get used to. "I don't hate you, Max, but if this guys not gone in thirty seconds-"

"Alright, alright, Mr. Macho," Rae gestured for me to simmer down like a preschool teacher would her students, and after a bit of bargaining and a persuasion attempt that break the ego of a lawyer, Maddox had left the establishment with less than he'd been promised, in Rae's words, for having the audacity to sing pop at his age.

"Hire a clown next time."

"Here, take this and don't drop it," She started, and handed a box to me as if carrying anything repulsed her. As she nibbled on an apple slice, she continued, "We've got the cake, my gift isn't necessarily tangible, I don't know about yours, and are in dire need a new place to celebrate. I'm assuming we've all broken our budgets, and I'm quite honestly sick of people-- So who's up for a night on the sand?"

"What say you, love?" I asked, and cast a glance their way to see the brunette's eyebrows raise at my nickname for Mel, but she didn't say a word. Smart. "It's your call, we'll go were you want to. Hopefully this is the last wrench in our plans," from outside the restaurant's polished windows I caught the sherbet hues of a setting sun, and the idea of us sprawled out on a shared blanket next to the ocean was far too dreamy to be plausible- but it was, entirely so.

"I wore your faaavorite two piece, the black and white one with the little bow on the top," Though the initial comment would have rendered me bashful, considering it was Rae I could only scoff at what she was cooing to Max.

Wrong move.

"I heard that. What the hell are you scoffing at?"

"Oh, nothing, just a little bummed to hear they'll let anyone in these days."

"Maxim happens to think I wear a two piece like Miranda Kerr," She sneered.

"Mmm, aren't they the same ones that let Kendall Jenner grace the cover?"

"Don't you dare compare me to that wannabe!" Her face was cartoonishly red and, in accordance, she stomped her heel like a child deprived of their candy. "She's plastic and hasn't worked a day in her life!"

"But she made it, didn't she?" I had to laugh at how seriously she was taking this, though I was the only one who enjoyed agitating her- and the consequences. "I mean, she has to have natural talent if she's signed that multi million dollar contract with... What was is? Oh, and wasn't she a part of that Angels book with Candice-"

What I didn't expect was the face full of cupcake, one that left me with a strawberry mask and a beard of sprinkles. I licked my bottom lip, though I couldn't see past the vanilla crumbs.

"Don't. Go. There. She'll never be a real model!" I heard her hiss, and she tugged Max outside with her, her heels clacking the whole way there. "And I'll show up with tomatoes and a flamethrower if she's ever on the Victoria's Secret runway!"

"I don't know what he sees in her," I commented. "I really, really don't."

Mel;

"A night at the beach sounds perfect," I replied, a little more than stoked about sitting around a bonfire and cuddling in a blanket with Zach. It was definitely much needed and welcome after the few days we've had. Although, some part of me didn't want to share my relationship with Zach. Not because I was ashamed or anything, but because I didn't want to make things so… complicated.

That's how it starts. You start dating a friend of a friend and going through the whole falling in love thing, and then your friends want to double date and even meddle into your relationship, and then before you know it, you and the other person break up, and it becomes a whole drama fest. Rumors spread, people take sides and things get awkward. Majorly awkward.

Zach was my best friend's fiance's best friend, and if something went wrong with me and Zach, I didn't want it to ruin what Rae and Max already had. I couldn't be that selfish.

But at the same time, I couldn't be so selfless as to not be with Zach. I wanted to be a good friend, not a saint.

And Rae, apparently, wasn't a saint either.

One second Zach and Rae were arguing about Kendall Jenner, and the next, Zach had cupcake sprinkles on his face.

Okay, so maybe this wasn't going to be as relaxing of a night as I thought, but at least I was with the people I loved most in this world.

"You'll get used to her. Ooh, strawberry." I told Zach, before kissing some frosting off his face when Rae and Max weren't looking.

Max;

While I definitely didn't like Zach picking on my baby, I couldn't help but feel even more attracted to her in that moment. What dude wouldn't love a woman who smudged a cupcake in his face?

Well, besides Zach, of course.

As soon as we got to the beach, I brought out my pack of marshmallows, chocolates, graham crackers, and pickles. It was Smores time, baby!

Uh, the pickles were technically not part of the smores, but I had to bring them. I mean, come on. They were pickles!

Mel, meanwhile, went to the bathroom and changed out of her blouse, skirt and heels, before coming out to join us again; this time she wore a baby blue bikini, with an over-sized purple t-shirt on top and Minnie Mouse flip flops.

Somehow, even in a bikini, Mel managed to remain as innocent as a four year old kid on a Walt Disney World trip.

But like a loving mother, she continued to clean cupcake off of Zach, wiping away frosting in his hair and a sprinkle mustache.

In a weird way, I envied him.

I wish Rae threw cupcakes at me more often.

The sand was sursingly unoccupied, save for a few begging seagulls and a crab that was determined to pinch anyone nearing its little bubble. Whilst Max roasted the smores, and Mel affectionately wiped the frosting from Mr. Macho, I occupied myself with gently massaging sunscreen onto Max's shoulders, squinting behind my aviators at the parents that swung their youngest child between them as they strode down the shores edge. Another tot waddled beside them, chasing their golden retriever, and then a third one, who was devotedly collecting sea shells.

Must be exhausting, though I had to admit, it'd have been nice to grow up in a two story house, in a culdesac with friendly neighborhood families, and a hard working daddy who took me to Angel's games and a mom who wasn't clinically depressed and a normal school life--

Whoa, where'd that come from?

"U-Um," I started, and tore my eyes from the envied scene. "So, are we gunna go play in the water or unveil the presents?" Of course, playing in the water for me meant clinging to Max while we stayed in the shallow parts. Phobia, remember?

---

Honestly? I was apprehensive about Melanie's gift, I'd been proud when I slaved over it for two days, but that was before I'd really started to admit how deeply I felt for her. It still felt odd, but at least oddly right, she deserved to know, and apparently reciprocated the feelings.

But what did Rae get her? Designer ware or a limited edition collection of those little Tsum Tsums? A trip to Disneyworld or concert tickets to a musician they actually liked? What would she do with a watercolor portrait?

"Up to you," I told her whilst she wiped more icing off of my face. She'd gotten the gist of it, but I don't think she picked up on my hinting that Rae had initiated war. Just a deadly silent kind of war. I offered a goofy grin, "By the way, you'd make Minnie jealous," I winked, but didn't realize how stupid that sounded until Rae busted up laughing. "I... I meant you look good-- Um, great- You know."

Mel;

"Thanks, Zach." I replied, unable to stop my blushing.

Man, I could have admired that goofy grin all day.

But, my friends were waiting for my opinion, and because I couldn't say, "I want to spend the rest of my birthday being alone with Zach", I settled for "Whatever you guys want to do."

And this was my problem. I had no opinion. Scratch that; I did have an opinion. I just over thought what my opinion was, and worried that others would disagree with me, until finally, the anxiety of it all left me letting others decide for me.

"How about we flip a quarter?" An excited Max suggested, taking a coin out of his pocket.

"Max, that's a Chuckie E. Cheese token," I replied.

A few seconds (and a dozen Chuckie E. Cheese tokens later), Max found a quarter. We agreed heads for playing in the water, tails for presents.

Max, being the weirdo he was, chanted, sang and meditated before flipping the coin, as if we were making the biggest decision of our lives over here.

While Max hummed, breathed dramatically, and shouted "SHARK BAIT, HOO HAHA!", I watched Rae and Zach.

Max may have been trying to get in tune with his inner warrior or whatever, but I was already in tune with something else: Rae and Zach.

How could I deal with my best friend and the boy I'm crazy about absolutely despising one another? What would Rae do if she found out how I felt about Zach and that I was now in a secret relationship with him? Would Zach be understanding with Rae, or decide he's had enough and leave?

Why the hell couldn't they get along in the first place?

Finally, Max flipped the quarter.

Max;

"Heads! We go swimming!" I cried out, before bursting into song.

"Swim, swim, swim

What do we do?

We swim!

Swim, swim, swim"

And that's when I went Opera-style.

"Swiiim, I love to swim

I love to swim, I love to swiiim--!"

"Alright, Max, enough Finding Nemo references," Mel said, giggling. "Let's go!"

As we made our way into the water, Rae close to me just how I liked, a family with three kids and a golden retriever joined us. The parents looked pretty young, in their early 30s, with two daughters and a son.

The younger girl stuck with her parents, while the son chased the dog into the water. It was the eldest girl that got closer to us, on the hunt for more seashells to put into her basket.

Noticing the tears in her eyes, I asked her what was wrong.

"I thought I would get to see a mermaid today, but me and my mommy and daddy and brother and sister have been here all day, and still, no mermaids have come!" She replied, defeated.

"No mermaids!" I replied, an idea cooking in my mind. "Why, I happen to know a few mermaids!"

The little girl gasped and said," You do?!"

Mel and Rae, obviously. I mean, sure, Zach and I could pass for mermaids too, but I didn't want to take Rae's spotlight.

Melanie hadn't seemed entirely sold on the coin flip, or maybe that was just me wishing she'd told the other pair to go find the magic sand dollar and leave us to ourselves. For two people who didn't have social lives, being alone sure seemed impossible as of late! I wondered if she felt that way, or would rather spend her birthday with friends and family than an overly aggressive teddy bear named Zachary. "Leave it to Max if you need an outdoor concert," I slipped my hand into hers and purposely took my time wading through the sand, watching as said opera singer rushed to the shore, and Rae attempted many times to avoid the water, though he'd have none of that.

"We don't have to stay, you know. I mean, if you'd rather head out and try to... Be together, just the two of us..."

Though I felt the blood rise to my cheeks, giving my golden face a reddish glow, I pressed on, letting our hands swing back and forth gently, intertwined tight enough to keep us together, but not painfully so, she was too delicate for me to hold any tighter than that. "Then again, I could put a little distance between our towels and theirs, grab an umbrella and a fleece blanket, burn a few more marshmellows," With my free hand, I combed my fingers through my tousled blonde locks, which were especially golden in the sherbet hues of the sun, my eyes gleamed an emerald hue and had a smile too them, especially as the tension between myself and the brunette beside my closest friend receded amidst every distant footstep.

Though I hardly considered my appearance compared to how sweet and lovely Melanie looked, from her nostalgic choice of apparel to the look of content she always wore, genuine or forced. In a sudden burst of what I'd lamely define as bliss, I whirled around, pulled her in my arms and kissed her forehead, nose, and finally, her plush pink lips, before giving her a playful pinch and taunting her to follow me to the water. I ignored the chill of the water that overlapped my feet, crashing against my tanned calves and extending outwards over the golden sands. Bubbles and foam momentarily covered the shore as if the ocean itself had hesitated, but then gradually retreated, leaving beneath them sand three shades darker, and glistening little jewels from the ocean floor, tangled in seaweed.

---

Water was my absolute phobia, no way around it, and there was only one comparison, bug buzzing. Both of which unnerved me the point where I had a can of raid in every drawer of the apartment, considered sporting a Chameleon on my shoulder, sit on the edges if pools and avoid immersing myself in water past my ankles- I even have a hard time relaxing in a bathtub filled too high. Max had come to understand both, and made sure to always take the trash out, and never, ever force me in the water without expecting cat like spazzms, growling and clawing.

When I'd overheard my fiance telling a child he knew a couple mermaids, I wondered if he'd gone insane, or had volunteered Melanie and myself for an Ariel performance. I latched my arms around his muscled one, smiling nervously at the child before I leaned in and whispered, "Max, what're you doing? I don't have a fin, and I can't even swim!" I paused, then added, "And don't point out that that rhymes! I know it does!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back