• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Something else [Rae & Disney]

3511.jpg

It was a little after eight on a Friday night in February. The winter chill in the New York city atmosphere had yet to fade, despite the approach of spring, though the previous snowfall was indeed being melted away, and replaced with an array of over cast drizzle that set the city streets slick and dark. But the weather wasn't getting anyone down, oh, no, it was as lively as ever around these parts, and though outside areas were all but vacant, bars, restaurants and clubs were wall to wall with a colorful variety of people.

Particularly crowded was one of the top fifty bars in all of New York itself, a lovely, high class establishment by the name of Apotheke, nestled in the heart of Manhattan. A pricey meeting place for food aficionados, liquor lovers, social elites, and middle class singles looking for their own interpretations of love.

Tonight, playing the bartender who pick pockets your heart, was a young miss Rachel Evans. She stood, tall and lithe, behind the long, polished counter, pouring a glass of Brandy for a grizzly, bearded man, likely in his late fifties, dressed in a suit that was far too nice compared to his intentions. Rae crinkled her nose and slid the glass his way, checking her long, cuffed white sleeves of her dressy blouse as he continued to try and cajole her into conversation. That was the downside to public service of any kind, you never could predict the responses.

She glanced over at a beautiful, middle aged blonde who was solemnly stirring her glass, chewing on the fruit that'd been perched on the top, her lipstick too bright for her saddened eyes. Rae walked over to her with a sympathetic smile, "Its been four hours, Diana. I... don't think he's coming. And I don't recommend anymore alcohol."

"Oh... I know..." She huffed, her bob cut blowing with her breath. Her watch clicked against the counter as she clumsily reached for her wallet to pay, but Rae held up a hand. "That one's on me, alright? Call a cab, get some rest. We need you sober for that Gala. Right?"

The woman didn't seem to perk up, but nodded with a forced gratitude. She stumbled through the crowd and Rae lost sight of her. To be stood up like that, how awful?

"Well aren't you a saint!" Came that gruff, obnoxious voice from not to far along the counter. "How's about you help me with my problem?"

"I'm engaged," She snarled in a brusque manner, but there was such satisfaction in admitting that, that her former soft smile returned. That smile grew when she suddenly felt her fitted black vest pocket vibrate to the tune of Ed Sheeran's 'Thinking out loud", her ponytail swaying as she caught sight of a distant, hanging clock. It was officially nine, and that not only meant her shift had ended, but that Max, Melly and Zach were on their way over.

She and her fiance had a big announcement to make, and the little diamond ring on her finger was a direct indication of what that was.

They were engaged!

Like she had been on that dreamy night, Rae was glowing, bubbling with excitement, her eyes big and bright as she anticipated the arrival of what she considered to be her family. She tossed her vest in the back room, let her long, healthy hair fall to her hips and grabbed her purse, eagerly awaiting her companions.

----

Rain was so beautiful.

Try as he might, Zach couldn't ever catch every drop that whizzed by his half open, bedroom window, nor could he match the intricacy and detail of every splatter on the panel, or every dew drop slipping gradually off of the shutter, and onto the seal in his room. He could see a mix of colors: darkness from the edging night and looming storm clouds, spots of yellow and orange as the complex across from theirs emanated life from its tenants, and below, tinges of gold rose upwards, car lights, street lights, and the gleam that shone off of revolving doors. His hand hovered beside his easel, cold as ice from the night air that wafted in, perfectly still as he tried to really take in everything he saw. Green eyes focused, like an artist's would be, appreciating, observing, fighting reminiscing to stay focused on his artwork.

On the canvas, dripped translucent primary colors, with streaks and slathered pastels, and smeared pencil marks from where he attempted traditional guide lines. But they never worked for him, he had to just work with what he saw.

His brush dripped once, twice, a cotton candy blue splattering on the wooden floor boards at his feet, where previous, dried stains already resided. He cursed with a light laugh as that happened, returning to his piece, and beginning to stroke at the white spots again. He'd originally intended to draw a little blue bird, but just as quickly as he started, it went from little beady eyes to jagged rocks surrounded by water, one rising wave ready to crash against the weathered cliffs, a distant, worn light house with a beacons gleam lost in a grey morning fog. A distant sail boat hovered, further than that was a dark green chain of islands, with quickly scribbled gulls soaring above. The water had all the blue he owned in it, he loved mixing the colors in an inner attempt, and then eventually, they meshed with beige, a sudden shoreline dotted with lobster, two beach towels and a beer cooler. He smirked as he drew a stereo buried in the sand, hearing the mix of classic rock and the roar of a widespread ocean, along with Melanie begging them to just enjoy the sound of nature instead of ruining it with Guns and Roses.

He smiled at the thought of watching her get lost in a book she deemed amazing, her soft eyes engrossed, the subtle breeze grazing her lightly curled hair, the hint of a smile on her lips, or a blush on her cheeks, as she read a specific scene- Likely romance, or comedy. He could see Rae and Max rocking out to a drum solo, a little buzzed, totally in their own little world.

Zachary liked it when they had days like that. He wanted another one. New York was great, but congested, and full of overly opinionated, technology centered people. They needed a break, a vacation, a road trip-- To somewhere like his painting.

The young man was so lost in his reverie, he'd nearly managed to tune out his phone alarm. It sounded off, and he set his brush down, hands spotted with colors, as was his old white shirt. When he grabbed his phone, he read the time and the reminder, suddenly it hit him: He was supposed to be on his way to the bar!

With a slur of inaudible curses, he scrambled to become presentable knowing he'd never escape the wrath of Rae if he missed tonight, or showed up wearing his work. Whatever it was about, she and Max were stoked! He washed the paint from his bare skin, slipped on a navy blue sweater over a lighter blue collared shirt, dressier jeans, combed his fingers through his hair, and hurried to make it to his destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Melanie;

Writer's block was the worst. Today was one of those days where I could just not find the words. Or the words couldn't find me, and I panicked. How could I ever expect to be a serious writer when I couldn't even break through the mental barriers that restricted me and my creativity? Just let it come, I told myself. Give yourself permission to be terrible. That's what all my writing teachers told me, but I wondered if any of it was ever true. Did Jane Austen get writers' block? Did Sylvia Plath ever allow herself to be horrible? Did they just wait for it to come to them, a spark of inspiration like lightning.

After a few hours of sitting in front of a blank sheet of paper, and then scribbling and throwing away scrunched up paper, I left the apartment, got a cup of coffee, and sat in the bookstore, in the smack middle of the fiction section. I tried not to think about the deadlines I had for my blog and column, nor the stories in my head, and just focused on the collection of romance and chick lit novels section. There were titles such as, "Mr. Right & Me" and "Baby, Bling, and a Diamond Ring". I rolled my eyes at them. They were fantasies at best, fantasies women devoured like chocolates. There were also the cheesy melodramatic novels about women falling in love with dying men, and men falling in love with the widow next door. From Nicholas Sparks to Nora Ephron, it was all here. And I loved it, even if I didn't believe it. I knew better. They were fantasies, just yummy chocolate to nibble on. But they kept me going, especially on days like these. Reading a story about a prince and everyday girl falling in love or a man marrying the nurse who loved him was just what the doctor always ordered. But I couldn't stay here for long. Rae had invited the gang for dinner to announce something special, and I was anxious to find out.

Max;

Fancy restaurants weren't my thing. I was more of a pub type of guy, preferring a more neighborhood feeling, rather than New York club scene. I was surrounded by super models and actors who were networking and schmoozing, and I felt a little out of place, to be honest. Six months ago and I would have never been caught here alive, but that was before Rae. I never thought I would fall in love with a super model, or that she would fall in love with me. But we did. And so, here I was, fighting the crowd of the hip, rich New Yorkers to get to my girl.

On my way, I bumped into Melanie, who was being hit on by some eighty year old so-called Broadway director who thought she would be perfect for his new play.

"Sorry," she said. "I am a writer, not an actress."

"But you are so...pretty." He replied, too drunk to speak. "You gotta come in and audition, kid. Gimme your number, gorgeous. Don't be shy."

I stepped in at that point.

"Hello, dear sir!" I said. "I see you found my little sister. Don't mind her, really, she wasn't made for show biz like us. Doesn't have the guts. I mean, a writer. Really? Anyways, I would just love to audition for your play. I would make a fine leading lady. I love wigs and have been told I look just divine in a bikini. What do you say?"

The man just scowled at me and quickly walked off, mumbling about the weirdos here in New York.

"Thank you sooo much," Mel said. "What a creep. Have you seen Rae?"

"Actually," I replied, "I was just looking for her..."

Rae maneuvered through the crowds swiftly, avoiding shoulder brushes like the plague, huffing a loud 'Excuse me!' which was emphasized with every dissipating drop of patience. She was momentarily lost in the array of people, before she popped up on the opposite side of the establishment, big, brown eyes flickering around for any sign of her friends.

The young woman grinned widely at the familiar figure of her soul mate, and then her beloved, lovely gal pal, Melanie. With their backs turned, she quietly stalked towards them, silent up until she was right behind Max, to whom she suddenly flung her arms around the neck of, exclaiming, "I'm a Xenomorph, run!"

Aliens references were pivotal. No one would peg her for a sci-fi nerd, but she had her quirks and secrets, ones the industry shunned, but she didn't care. She giggled and kept her arms around him, pressing a berry printed kiss to his jawline, before she turned to greet Melanie with a warm, fond smile, "You look beautiful, Mel! I'm glad you came." She offered a more childish look, "Course, I would've dragged you here against your will, regardless."

Just then, she felt a sudden chilly, late night breeze fill the room, indicating the front doors had opened. Her head whipped that way, and in strode Zach, ducking his head a little bashfully, but his stunning, green eyes, framed by thick, long lashes, were scanning the crowd before him. He reached up and awkwardly rubbed his neck, the other hand shoved into his jeans pocket. The man disliked crowded areas as much as the rest of them did, he felt, more or less, overwhelmed.

"Z! Over here!" Rae called, waving her long arm in a 'come'ere' gesture; with her height and loud voice, she was easy to spot, like a flash of white against black.

"Hey, talk louder, I don't think the the rest of New York heard you," He said mockingly, but his eyes were playful, and his pearly white grin was contagious.

"Ha. Ha." She made a face as he attempted to side hug her. He resorted to poking her rib cage, to which she elbowed his stomach, before moved onto greeting Max with their usual boyish interactions, like brothers.

"Hey Mel," boldly, he pulled Melanie into a side hug, his arm light on her waist as he gave her a firm but gentle squeeze. He'd done it before, sure, but his face flushed hot whenever he did, be it just the interaction with her in itself, or that nostalgic aroma she gave off, some thing sweet and comforting, or how warm she was, or the hypothetical ways she could respond.

"You look... great," he then was quick to avert his gaze, focusing in the break in the crowd. "So, table for four?"

"Already got one reserved," Rae gave a dramatic flip of her hair and spoke velvety smooth. "Cause I'm so cool like that."

She ushered them through the establishment, passing a wide spread, dimly lit bar with rows and rows of various liquors, multiple aristocratic sofas with eloquent headboard designs, sporting warm hues. Eventually she came to a corner and, rounding it, revealed another palatial room, but this one had a little less noise, and a smidge more privacy. Several identical, warm colored booths spotted the scene, but one for four sat vacant in the back, with a little golden plaque on the tables surface that stated in black, Lucinda font: Reserved.

Rae slipped into the left side, running her thin fingers through her long locks, they fell to the left side effortlessly, long and brushing the cushion beneath her. She laid out four menus stacked against the wall, yawning as she spoke, "It's on us tonight, so, order whatever you like."

Zachary slipped into the right one, flipping the menu open and baring an amused look. "Order what-ever I like? Hmmmm."

Melanie;

"Well, almost. I'm not Daddy Warbucks." Max joked and like always, he kissed and cuddled Rae, making geeky sci fi jokes, while I scanned through the menu, trying so hard not to shake from being so close to Zach. I never knew what to choose, so I just got a fruit and chicken salad with sweet iced tea that cost 20 bucks and wasn't all that good. But I was very much aware of Zach's legs next to mine, his ocean scented cologne in the air. It distracted me, and I liked it.

Max ordered pork chops, steak, tacos and ice cream, a long with beers for all of us. I didn't drink the beer, though. I didn't like the taste. After we ate our feast, Max grinned mischievously at Zach and me.

Max;

"So," I said, putting my drink down. "We wanted you two kids to know the scoop first."

Melanie shot a confused look at Rae.

"Rae and I have decided, well...we're getting married!" I said, showing them her engagement ring.

Mel choked on some bread sticks, her eyes bugging out.

"Whoa, are you okay?!" I said, shooting up from my seat.

Mel grabbed onto the table, wheezing, her eyes watery. I immediately grabbed her and helped her swallow the bread.

She gasped for air after a few moments, saying, "Max! I'm fine! I'm fine!"

"Oh, sorry..." I said, embarrassed. "I got scared."

Mel got herself breathing at a normal rate again, before saying, "You're getting married. Wow. Wow. Wow! Oh my goodness, wow!"

29463379_Harmony%20ring_1.02ct_x1c_ER_R1

"Oh, Mel," Rae chuckled nervously, her hand on her heart, which had leapt into her throat at Melanies reaction.

Zachary had been quite startled as well, and as Melanie sunk back into her seat, shock still evident in her face, he gently rubbed her back. "Easy there. I'm assuming you're the bridesmaid, can't go out on bread sticks," He joked lightly, though he was obviously playing off his notable concern. He took the calmer moment to examine the ring, whistling low and peeking up at his best friend. "That's one Hell of a ring. I'm scared to see the price tag." He chuckled lightly, though he was a little curious. When it came to love like theirs, did currency even have a part?

Gently, the brunette eased back into Max's arms, but kept her eyes on the jewelry, a single bulb from high above giving her solitare, diamond ring a jubilant sparkle. From under her thick, mascara coated lashes, her eyes grew rheumy as she thought about it, glistening as they met Melanies.

"You know, all I've ever dreamed about was getting married..." She said more so to Mel, who would definitely know, as they've been together for so long. Rae talked about it since her early years, having grown up with her own idea of Prince Charming. She'd aspired, but never invested in anyone before Max. He just... was the one. "It's unreal... but I feel... complete."

She paused for a moment, seemingly very engrossed in mushy thoughts, before she broke into a grin and gave a melodious laugh, "oh God, that was way too corny!" She leaned into her fiance and hugged him playfully.

Zachary laughed along with her, propping his arm above and behind Mel. "True... But I couldn't name a better couple, two, total weirdos, just made for each other." He grinned, "Right Mel?"

He then looked to Max with blatant approval. "Congrats, man. Seriously, we couldn't see you two with anyone else."

"I'm thrilled we're all together like this," Rae told them with sincerity. "Planning the actual wedding won't be anytime too soon, though. But, don't think I won't be stalking the Pinterest boards in the meantime," She laughed again, looking to Melanie with an eager 'We've got so much to do!' look.

Melanie;

I giggled, nervously, then drank my beer in one gulp.

"Are you okay, Mel?" Max asked.

"Yeah," I replied, "of course. I just...want to celebrate. Waiter! Can I get another beer?"

The waiter, delighted at a drunk customer who would spend more money, because, well, they were drunk, served me right away. I took a huge swig of more beer. I was in freak out mode. I couldn't let this happen to my best friend. I mean, sure, she fell in love, but marriage? What marriage even honestly lasted these days? Both our parents split up. Max's parents, from what I hear, fight like cats and dogs, and Zach...well, I didn't know much about his parents.

I wanted to be happy, but I didn't know if any two people could really stay together forever. I wasn't sure if love was enough, and I couldn't bear the thought of Rae and Max ending up like our parents, so like my mom did when she was in freak out mode, I drank up.

Max;

I raised an eyebrow at Mel, but went with it.

"Alright, then, let's celebrate!" I said, raising my drink.

"Woo!" Melanie said, getting a little lightheaded and giggly. "Celebrate. Right! I like celebrating. Celebrating is good."

In the past half hour, Mel had drank three and half bottles of beer, and was finishing up her fourth. This was unusual. She must have been really happy. When we were finished with our meal, we headed out into the city. I wrapped my arm around Rae, meanwhile Mel stumbled, and I looked at Zach, knowing he'd probably have to take her home, so she could rest.

"You wanna take a nap, Melly?" I asked.

Like a little kid, she replied, "I'm fine, fine, fine..."

I knew that Rae would kill me if we didn't take care of her. If there was anyone Rae adored, it was Mel, so I mouthed to Zach, "Watch over her."

To watch Melanie get straight up plastered half way into dinner really bothered Rae. What made her want to nullify her consciousness like that? Should she have consulted Melanie differently? To drown her thoughts, Rae boldly indulged in her own drink, but her weak stomach and the fact she was easily intoxicated had Max taking her glass away before she could finish it.

She watched Zach nod to Max and wrap a long, toned arm around Mel's waist. "Come on, you, let's head back to the apartment." He hailed a taxi- he knew better than to attempt driving his car around this area at night, the traffic was bad, and his car was brand new! "We'll see you guys at home, yeah? Again, congrats, I'll sing at your wedding."

He cracked a crooked grin and, after helping Melanie safely into the back seat of the yellow cab, saluted them in dismissal, and off they drove.

"You think she's okay?" Rae finally voiced her worries, her head tucked her his chin as she watched the car turn a corner, towards home. Her words were just a little slurred, and higher pitched than usual, but she wasn't as nearly drunk as Melanie. Just relaxed, if anything.

"I hope she doesn't think I'm abandoning her or anything, I freaking love her!" She said loud and sincere. She then sighed, turned and slipped her delicate hands in his.

"Lets take a walk before we head home. I wanna stay out a liiiiittle longer. I've been cooped up in that stupid restaurant all night. Plus, that arcade on 73rd just opened up, goes on till midnight and they've got the Resident Evil RPGs in there!"

--

The taxi drive at a snail's pass much to Zachary's chagrin. He held onto Mel with one arm and used the other to direct the cab driver towards their place. They weren't too far, but it was only ten on a Friday night, everyone was out and about, wasted and partying, mostly.

"You really downed those beers," He chuckled lightly, gently reaching up and stroking her hair a few times. "Shocked about the engagement? Or are you an alcoholic and I'm too dense to know?" Still, he spoke light heartedly, and with a smile.

But considering how tipsy she was, he doubted he'd get a lot of sensible answers from her. He didn't mind, he wasn't a fan of the restaurant and, honestly, she was adorable this way. Though the hangover tomorrow, he nodded to himself, wouldn't be so pretty.

The car finally pulled to a stop just outside their residence. He paid what he owed and helped out into the cripsy night air, holding her close and stumbling with her giggling self as they hurried back into the apartment. "You're going to be sick tomorrow," He laughed a little.

Melanie;

"I feel sick right now," I said, laughing, and then, I felt it: that pang in my tummy, and the room spinning. I ran to the guys' bathroom--the nearest bathroom--and threw up a couple of times. When that nightmare was over, I navigated my way back into the hallway, where I fell into Zach's arms, causing us to fall to the floor and be in an awkward position; aka me on top of him.

"Oops, sorry..." I hiccuped, looking down at him. "I'm such a dork."

I looked into his eyes---how soft and kind, but bright and colorful they were, sort of like his artwork, and said, "You have really pretty eyes."

I became all too aware of his chest, too, his breathing getting faster, and his breath on my face, sweet like mint gum. I shivered, becoming aware of his hands on me, rought yet gentle, with a little paint still on them. His ocean cologne still smelled fresh, and got me more drunk and giggly than the alcohol did. I found myself studying his lips, wondering what it would be like to feel them on mine.

Max;

And that was why I loved this woman. She was hot as hell and sweet as an angel, but could still kick my ass in the arcade like a total boss.

We spent the next couple of hours playing games like two little kids, and like a teenage boy I wanted so badly to impress her, so I spent almost an hour and my wallet playing on a claw machine, just so I could buy her a huge pink teddy bear.

"My folks want to meet you, you know," I said, after we got out of a photobooth, and waited for the photos to print. "They're having dinner tomorrow night and want us to come over. Welcome you to the family."

Once my folks found out I was getting married, they immediately wanted to know who this girl was, since I never really got serious with anyone. Sure, I fooled around with the girls who liked me enough, but I had never had someone who I loved, who I cared so much about, who I would die for---and who would do the same for me. It was different. She made me want to strive for better things and be a better man. She was strong and and a no nonsense business woman, but caring and loving and a mother hen in some sorts. I remember the moment I fell in love with her was when we were at the beach one time and these guys had been picking on Mel and yelling things at her like, "Hey, cutie? Wanna give daddy some love?"

Rae turned around and gave those men a piece of her mind and then some, and next thing you know, they're running the other direction, sobbing like idiots, while Rae went to comfort Mel.

What a woman, I thought.

And now to see that she was my woman now? Wow.

"Mel, you're, uh..."

The list of responses went on. Drunk, on top of me, making me skin burn, drunk, really cute that way, kind of sexy, drunk-- He winced as he tried to figure out how to respond, all the while feeling the intensity of their proximity pulse back and forth like electricity. His personal bubble was one more inch from being popped, and oddly enough, he didn't know if that bothered him or not. Why was he leaning towards not?

Why was he leaning towards her?

About an inch from her lips, his hands gently hugging her closer, he paused, his eyes flashing with conflict. Kiss her when she's drunk? Weren't there rules in the book of chivlary about that? He pursed his lips and tried to make up his mind quick, he was either about to turn her off or provoke her further.

Deciding against both, he leaned in and did kiss her, but it was soft and subtle. For a few moments he stayed that way, with her, in that position, before he broke it off, and with a light yet firm grip he brought them to their feet, a little dizzy as an unusual bearish flushed his face.

"I... Think Zachs right, you need some rest. I'll get you some water, alright?" He told her, still holding her for a few moments before backing away and heading into the kitchen, his face sizzling.

--

"Meet the family?" She repeated, leaning against him as they waited for the photos to finish. She tried not to let it show, but oh God, was she suddenly sober and very unnerved. She'd seen pictures of his relatives on his phone, and he had a few framed in their room. She'd met on of his older brothers a couple times when he swung by the apartment, and they got along pretty well; then again, Rae kinda just stayed out of the way. But to go meet your future husband's blood relations and hope your first thirteen seconds of an impression is positive? As a model, no problem. But she didn't want to be 'the model' to them, in fact, she felt she'd really like the term 'daughter-in-law-who's-perfect-for-my-son'.

"Wow, that's... soon." She murmured, hugging her teddy bear to her chest. She watched Max snag the photos which made her smile return, "Oh, yeah, definitely framing these... you're such a dork," She laughed lightly, but the storm brewed on inwardly.

He'd already met her mother, her father having never been in the picture. Christine, her mom, loved him the moment they met, as a sense of humor was greatly appreciated in Rae's world, as was height, and incomparable handsomeness. The rest of Rae's family wasn't in the picture either, she'd cut them off years ago- and her younger sister, despite their closeness, was in Korea for abroad study, so that was out.

They left the arcade and decided to walk hone, even though they were both obviously tired out. But every chance they got to, they spent time together, unaware of when the next trip to another state would.

"Do you... think they'll like me?" She asked curiously, unable to imagine being a burden on his family. And she'd so very much like to be part of a real family... "I sure hope so..."

Melanie;

I collapsed on the couch, thinking about what just happened. A kiss. A kiss. His lips tasting like mint.

"Zach," I said. "Do you believe in love, like...true love? Do you believe two people can stay together f-forever?"

I took a sip of water and said, "Sometimes I wonder if any guy could love me forever. I think I could love him forever. But could he love me forever? Could we make it till death do us part? Or would he get bored, or overwhelmed, or just...want another girl? Marry his secretary. After I give him everything, would he marry his damn secretary?" I said. I was so out of it, so out of it. "Do you think you could love someone forever? I hope Max loves Rae forever...she deserves it. I hope I get that someday." I laughed at myself.

"Wow, I'm a dork."

---

Max;

"Hell yeah, they will." I said, although I was a bit worried. Ma and pop were old school. They were a little upset when they found I was engaged.

"You engaged?!" Dad said, as I told him and mom over the phone.

"We don't even know this girl and my son is engaged!"

"Maxwell!" Ma said. "You in love and you no tell your mama?"

"It all happened so fast," I explained.

"She cook?"

"Uhhh...a little."

"She Catholic?"

"She is spiritual."

"She good girl?"

"What?"

"Is she good girl?"

"Well, she has never been in jail, so..."

"Maxwell!"

Shit. I knew what ma meant, but the truth was, we'd already done that stuff since we moved in together. But I couldn't tell her that. I couldn't even tell her we were living together, or she would freak. And by freak, I meant smack me with her Bible and make me confess to a priest.

So I just said, "She's, well, um. Of course."

My dad groaned, not buying it. But Ma did, and demanded I bring Rae for dinner the next day.

"They don't know we live together."

"It entirely depends on the person, err, people," The man answered honestly, bringing over a blanket and gently wrapping it around her. He plopped down beside her, gulping down his own glass of ice water, his skin warm but gradually easing up. "I believe in forever... at least, I know, when I actually do settle down and secure a job I like, that'd be my goal. And I want it enough to know, on my part, it'd last. It'd be the she of the two that messes it up, or, wants it so bad it works out perfectly."

He spoke very clear and thoughtful, regardless of her drunken state. Mel was still in there, listening, and she was waiting for some sort of reassurance he wanted to give her, even though he didn't know why.

"Stressing like that'll drive you crazy, sweetheart," He laughed lightly, gently patting her back. "Like my oldest brother says, when you know, you know. He married the love of his life, they're three years in, with their second child on the way. Never really thought he'd get engaged the third year of college, but he just knew. And he was... rambunctious. But now, he's a committed husband and father, heading to little league on Saturdays and church on Sundays. I'm telling you, we never saw it coming."

"And if you don't know, don't get married. The pressure of matrimony is... unreal. I mean, we all want it, at least, I think a lot of people do, but it's not a trend, it's a milestone, it's commitment." He scoffed, "God, I sound like my mom."

"Secretary? I think you've been watching too many sitcoms," He grinned, but it fell a little lopsided as he considered how big of an issue this was to her. "Melly... When he comes along, he's gonna stay. You're too easy to fall in love with."

He paused and played that off, averting her gaze despite his new found blush.

"Max and Rae... even if they broke of the engagement, which I don't think the freaking apocalypse could do, it'd only last, at the most, maybe a month." He laughed a little. "Rae wouldn't ever stop crying, you know how dramatic she can be, she'd probably never leave the apartment... And Max wouldn't ever stop beating himself up, you know how he hates it when she's not smiling... they'd hook up and propose all over again. And it's our job to make sure they're together, too."

"You are a dork," He ruffled her hair a little, affectionately. "But sometimes going to love that. The three of us do."

I know I do.

--

"Right, right..." the brunette swung their intertwined hands back and forth as they approached the apartment complex. "Well, you're the only person I've ever..." She assumed he caught her drift; basically, Rae was a virgin before him. "And if I didn't know we were going to get married someday, I never would've moved in. I mean, that goes against my religion... but, once we have the wedding, everything's justified, ya know?"

Rae's mom had been elated to know She was getting married. A little weary as Rae was so young, but she knew Rae wouldn't have made the decision if he wasn't the one.

"I'll be on my best behavior," She told him with a bit of a giggle. "I've never done drugs, I really didn't date before you, I don't do inappropriate modeling jobs... I try. No one's perfect but my slate is... actually, pristine."

She turned around as they arrived on their porch step, locking her arms around his neck and pressing a reassuring kiss to his lips. "I looove you. I think that's enough. We're like... Elizabeth and Will. Can't come between us, right?" She gave a cheeky grin at the mentioning of one of their favorite movies, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Melanie;

"Thanks." I said, feeling oh so dizzy and sleepy. "Ya know, whoever gets you is going to be lucky. A lucky, lucky girl."

There was a moment of silence, before I leaned in and kissed him, giggling.

"Your lips taste like mint flavored gum,"

And then, before I could even know what the hell I was doing next, I leaned in again and kissed him passionately. His kisses were so sweet, and refreshing---and that wasn't because of the mint. I felt like I could finally breathe when he kissed me. Like something in me was finally coming alive. A fireworks show was going on in my chest and butterflies danced and swirled in my stomach. We sat on the couch, making out like crazy for a few minutes, before we heard the door open.

Max;

"Can't come between us," I said, throwing my arm around her. When we entered the apartment, Zach and Mel were sitting on the couch, looking over at us like two deers caught in the headlights.

"Hey, Zach. Hey, Mel." I said, taking off my leather jacket and throwing it on the couch.

Zach looked at me like I was a ghost, meanwhile Melanie grabbed her head like she had a big headache."

"Oooh," Mel moaned.

"Looks like it's beddy time." I teased her, taking Rae's teddy bear and saying, in my Yogi Bear voice, "Whatsa matter, Melly? Uh-oh. Melly don't look so good. Melly looks sick! That makes Bear very, very sad. Melly, why you look so green?"

But then I noticed she really was sick, and said, "Mel? ...Mel..."

And that is the night when Melanie Brogan threw up all over me.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/sweaters-vests/0224,default,sc.html?lid=leftnav-menu

^^Where Rae bought Max's apparel. xD

---

Under this apartments roof since day one, Rae deemed Sunday the 'Day of rest', which was in part religious, however, when translated, it meant, 'If-You-Wake-Me-Up-I'll-Seriously-Kill-You'. For those ignorant enough to test those waters, Max responds, quote, "Hey, it's your funeral." It meant she and Max slept in together all morning, no appointments, phones turned off, no loud music, door slamming meant instant death, the list went on...

However, this particular Sunday morning, Rae had uncharacteristically woken up at five AM, her anxiety so bad she didn't even fall asleep till one, anyways. She was up and at it, deciding to silently clean the apartments every nook and cranny, an attempt to distract herself from worries of tonight's dinner.

Oh God, She thought with rheumy eyes as she showered, please give me the strength to get through today. I can't disappoint them... Max has basically been my husband since day one.

The curtains were pulled back, emitting jubilant sunshine against the soft toned walls of the living room, reflecting off the pristine, polished glass coffee table and leaving the sectional cushions warm to the touch.

First, Rae had done the entirety of both her and Max's laundry, a deep scowl forming on her face as she came face to face with the product of Melanie's drunken state last night.

"This is a four hundred dollar sweater," She whined to herself, setting it aside and deciding that'd call for its own, vigorous wash cycle.

Of course, the day they'd bought it, the elaborate piece was on sale for ninety-eight.

You see, no one bargains quite like Rae. Though she loves to spend big, she also knows how to get the most possible out of a dollar, thanks to her poverty stricken childhood. She's persuasive as a prosecuting attorney, with a sweetness and empathy that charms some of the more icy hearts of NYC. That being said, she'd devised a plan that she and Max agreed to around the holidays. Prices are racked up before Christmas and New Years as a marketing tactic, right? So, make each other something for Christmas day, frame a picture, write a letter, something more emotional, and then, go in when the after holiday sales hit, when the businesses need to clean out stock to bring in the new. They saved hundreds that way, and managed to use their handsome holiday bonuses to take each other shopping. Rae only allowed Max the highest quality clothing (Come on, pricey sweaters are more comfy!), so she took him to Brooksbrothers, and they blew through a good two grand, but he had clothes to last him a couple years.

Including his, now vomit soaked, cashmere, crew neck sweater. He wore it, she wore it, it was a sentimental piece! She'd have to take it to the cleaners, but that'd have to wait until tomorrow because of...

...tonight.

She tried to push the thought away, finished the laundry loads, scrubbed down the bathrooms, vacuumed the carpeting, and then, finally went to start breakfast.

Rae wasn't much of a cook, she never had anyone to teach her, what with her mom being so overwhelmed. But she tried, and though she couldn't make a lot of meals, the few she could were pretty good. She'd decided on breakfast smoothies, fruits and veggies in a yogurt blend, but waited to use the blender until the others woke up. She laid down several strips of Turkey bacon, dodging the popping grease and cringing when it burned her skin. Then, Rae proceeded to make breakfast burritos, with a healthy born of cilantro, scrambled eggs, bacon bits and the preferences each person had, cause she knew then we'll.

However, cooking took a while.

Her eyes grew thoughtful as she left the kitchen for what was supposed to be two minutes, at the most. Folding her arms over her chest, she leaned against the sliding glass door that led to their balcony, just across the living room. She smiled at the little garden she and Melanie had started out in the terrace, morning glories cascaded along the railing, vibrant indigo, along with a lot of carefully attended to orchids, different shades of colors and standing tall against the railing. The tops buildings lined her view, antennas, air ducts, pidgeons, rain water, closed windows; but above all that and the street below, the sky was bright, spotted with stimulus clouds and seemingly endless from here.

Surely they'll like me, she thought solemnly, watching the birds take off in unison. I'm only twenty, and I'm doing really, really good for myself, college degree or not. His parents would have to see how respect worthy I am, so what if we live together? We're living comfortably because of that. And maybe, adding in there's two other room mates, would lighten the news? And I do all the cleaning and I try to cook, just like a proper wife... ew, that sounded too official. Max doesn't hold me to stuff like that.

Meanwhile, there was a light burning smell emanating from the stove, the bacon was at risk of being ruined, but Rae was too lost in thought to smell it, yet.

---

Thud. Thud. Thud.

For the last hour, Zachary had indeed been wide awake, but his body refused to budge, so there he stayed, melted into his bed, but too tense to be relaxed; covered in his comforters, but he quickly kicked them off as the memories of last set his skin aflame. He tossed a baseball up towards the ceiling, just high enough to where it grazed the ceiling, and then fell back into his palm with a thud.

Do I go in there and talk to her? Or sit here like an ass and pretend we dreamt the whole thing?
He tossed the ball again, running his tongue along his rosy lips as he though about how hers felt against his, a sudden flurry of heat bubbling in the pit of his stomach. He'd be lying to himself if he said last night was a mistake. A) That'd be too dramatic a statement anyways, and B) the disappointment when Max flung the door open was a dead give away things would've... escalated.

And he didn't think either of them would be minded that.

He battled between her vulnerability and actual desire to pursue him like that last night. He felt relieved that he didn't take advantage of her. But his body strongly protested, persuading him she'd have been happier if he did.

Whap!

"Ow! Son of a..." He jerked up and rubbed his eye, angrily tossing the baseball across the room, but the moment it connected in his brain this was 'Rest day' he cringed, his eyes wide with regret when it hit the wall, hard.

One... two... three...

It was usually only a matter of seconds before his engaged companions threw a fit, so he figured they slept through it.

He dropped his head in his hands and groaned, combing his fingers through slightly curled, bronze locks and racking his brain in an attempt to find answers.

"I have to talk to her..." He thought out loud, but his legs were suddenly filled with cement and he knew building up the confidence to do so wouldn't be easy. "Or... I could wait till she talks to me..."

And says what? Forget that happened? I was just drunk? How come he didn't like those hypothetical responses? Could he inquire the possibilities without coming up with the answer: genuine infatuation? It wouldn't be absurd. They'd know each other for years and really got along... but she was Melly. Practically his engaged companions little sister, not the gorgeous woman across the hall, of whom he had... an indelible attraction towards.

This is bad. He grimaced. And then, it hit him. Is this bad? Or is what happened last night... great?

Max is so preppy xD lol.

---

Melanie;

The bacon is what woke me up and had me nauseous, as I attempted to crawl out of bed. What day was it? Sunday? It surely couldn't have been Rae or Max, I thought. Did Zach cook?

Oh, goodness. Zach.

Last night was blurry for me, but if there was anything I remembered was that Max and Rae are engaged and I almost went way too far with my best friend's fiance's best friend. That, and I threw up on Max. Poor Max.

What a mess.

I wiggled my way out from underneath my blankets and covers at the speed of a snail. My body, sore. My head, throbbing. I was in my monkey pajamas, so I must have passed out and been dressed for bed by Rae, who must have been mortified and humiliated by me. How could I embarrass her like that? Not to mention what I did with Zach. No, I could never tell her what happened last night, and I could never let it happen again. No matter how cute his blonde curls were, or how dreamy his eyes were, or how electrifying his touch was.

Who was I kidding? I wanted him. Oh, I wanted him so badly it hurt. If only Max and Rae hadn't come in and...

No! This was wrong. This was way out of boundaries. He was a roommate, a friend. Practically family now. This was irresponsible behavior. I had to forget him. It wouldn't work out anyway. Besides, he probably thought I was a crazy idiot. I must have come across like some lovesick child with issues. Ugh, I was getting sick just thinking about it.

What if he told Rae and Max? What if they knew all about my crazy ranting and kissing last night and Zach decided he wanted to move out? What if Max got upset and offended and decided he changed his mind? What if Rae hated me now? Oh my gosh, what had I done?

Max;

In my dreams, I was running through a field of bacon. It was odd, but not too odd that I wasn't used to it. I usually dreamed about food, when I wasn't dreaming about Rae looking hot running around the beach in a bikini.

Right now, I was rolling in the grass, watching bacon pop up like daisies! I plucked one from the ground, and took a huge bite, savoring the salt and grease that I love so much on these babies. Boy, was this paradise! The only thing better would be if Rae showed up in a bikini...

My dream was soon interrupted by a fire alarm. I jolted up, scared as hell and smelled something...burning. Something that smelled like bacon.

Burning bacon.

I looked over next to me and saw Rae was gone, and since Mel had a hangover, and Zach couldn't cook for shit, it had to be Rae cooking.

I hopped out of bed, running out of the room, just in time to see the bacon on fire.

"Whoa, what the---!" I cried out, before looking for the nearest fire extinguisher.

"What's going on?" Mel asked, walking out of her room like a zombie. Her eyes widened, though, when she saw the fire. I was able to find the fire extinguisher in a glass case outside our apartment, thank goodness, and put out the fire, but not before the sprinklers went off.

Before she knew it, her little breakfast ordeal had turned into one shitty Sunday morning; the whole situation was a product of Rae's anxiety, and because of her endless worrying, a pig died in vain today. Wasted bacon. That was basically a sin!

The brunette rushed to open all the windows in attempts to usher out the smoke, all the while trembling (loud noises like smoke alarms made her nervous). But she wasn't fast enough, and the came on the sprinklers.

"Coming through!" Zach shouted, gently brushing past Melanie and sprinting into the kitchen, where he slid like a baseball player past the extinguishers battle with the fire, and switched off the burner, inevitably being absolutely drenched in white foamy substance as a result. "Are you serious right now??"

As much as she wanted to help with her mess, her brain switched into 'preserve' mode, and abruptly she was doing everything she could to cover the flat screen, closing in the electronic consoles, anything to avoid water damage...

We have warranties, she remembered suddenly, and slowed to a stop from her spazzy response. Thank God Max suggested that.

She'd almost sat down on the sofa, but in doing so both her legs grew damp. She gasped, "Not my sectional!" But the cushions were soaked, and her little, white fuzzy ottomans on the side were, too. "Oh, God..."

At that moment, the fire alarm shut off, simultaneously with Max and Zachary ending the nightmare in the kitchen. They both looked at each other as if they'd just saved the world, proceeding to do a fist bump like boys would despite the H2o raining from the ceiling. But before Rae could evaporate into the atmosphere out of sheer embarrassment, all eyes were on her, including the sleepy ones of Melanie.

The brunette wiped the water from her face, but her fine, brown hair still hung in damp locks, her soaked shirt, now entirely transparent, displayed every little curve of her Victoria's Secret push up bra. Cause that wasn't awkward or anything. Nooooo way.

"Heeeeey guys..." She drawled, mustering up a crooked grin, looking much like a toddler who'd just been caught in the wrong; well, that similie would've worked, ha it not been for the be a and short shorts. Sheepishly she made her way into the kitchen, shooting Melanie and apologetic look, following that with a graver one as she met the boys gazes. Her eyes fell to the mess she'd made and she sighed, all that cleaning this morning, and for what?

Rae started to speak again, but as she neared the stove, irony decided to throw one more curveball, except this was in the form of an oversized grease bubble that exploded, was scalding hot and landed just underneath her right eyelid, lashing out across her cheekbone with a sizzle and turning her fair skin cherry red. "Ow! Oh my God, ow! Maaax!"

"Looks like the skillets kinda pissed off at you, too," Zachary half teased, half remarked. This woman really agitated him sometimes, what idiot walks away from their cooking? What was she even doing? Now she's whining to Max? He hoped the man drilled culinary 101 into her brain. And why does she have to be soaking wet? Despite his lack of attraction to her, as a man he admitted the view was... nice. Max would kill him if he heard that.

It was nice, until he caught sight of Melanie standing there. He quickly straightened up, shoving past the disgruntled brunette and making his way towards the half asleep, likely hungover, albeit still lovely woman he'd been kissing last night.

"Morning," he said sarcastically, hands shoved in his-- wait, he didn't have pockets. What was he...? His eyes suddenly went dead from a lack of amusement as he realized he was in his boxers. Real smooth, dumbass, he excused himself briefly to change into a more decent outfit, eventually meeting back up with the crew in the living room, noting Rae was definitely screwed up today.

"I think we should just start going to I-Hop or something," He threw in, obviously enjoying Rae's little show. He didn't dislike her necessarily, she was just... ugh, he didn't know how to describe it. At least she tried to make them breakfast.

He turned his gaze back to Mel, wishing he could read her mind for a minute. "So... How are you...?"

Melanie;

"Besides feeling like a zombie who got beat up the night before, I say I'm okay." I said, at least thankful that my Macbook Pro was safe since I kept it in my drawer. Still, I was a little annoyed that I was now spending my Sunday drying my books and journals with Rae's Super Blow Dryer, instead of hanging at the book store like I always did. My beloved novels were all wrinkly and stiff, and as I opened my journals, I saw that my prose and poems were nothing but smudges of ink that I could barely even discern.

I started crying just then, even though I didn't want to. I didn't want to make Rae feel bad, but I just couldn't take it. With the news of the engagement, my getting drunk and kissing Zach last night, and now my library and work being ruined, I sobbed like a baby. I couldn't handle any of this. My life was a roller coaster, and I couldn't hang onto the bars.

"I hate bacon!" I cried out, sniffling. "I...h-h-hate it!"

Great, now there were two whining girls in the house.

"Oh, who am I kidding? I'm not fine!" I said.

But, I knew that's not exactly what he was asking. He wanted to know about what the hell was going on last night. He probably thought I was a lunatic and needed professional help. Maybe he expected me to confess to him that I was having a mental breakdown and needed to go off to one of those recovery centers where you paint fruit and flowers and scribble down all the demons that haunt your mind at night.

"No, no, no, I'm fine." I said, pulling myself together. I looked at him, and immediately my knees got wobbly and I wanted to kiss him and so much more, so so much more, but I controlled myself and cleared my throat. I tried to appear dignified.

"I...I am sorry about what happened last night." I started. "I...wasn't myself and it was inappropriate and a mistake and it won't happen again."

Max;

"Babe, babe, babe, it's okay. I'm here. Shh. I'm here." I whispered, wiping the tears off Rae's face and kissing her forehead. I may not be the most colorful crayon in the box (or was it brightest crayon in the box?) but I knew Rae, and I knew when something was wrong with her. And something was definitely wrong. But what was it?

She seemed happy last night when we went out to celebrate our engagement, and we had loads of fun at the arcade, until I mentioned about my folks wanting to meet her at dinner, and---

Oh.

I winced. "This wouldn't have anything to do with the dinner tonight, would it?" I asked her.

I have never seen Rae like this. Sure, she had her moments of insecurity like all of us, but nothing like this! She was downright paralyzed. She was as nervous and jittery as Piglet from the Winnie the Pooh cartoons. I guess that made me Pooh, and then Zach was Tigger, and Mel could be Eeyore---

Dammit. I was getting out of focus then. Focus, Max! I told myself.

Still, she did remind me of Piglet a whole lot...a really sexy Piglet...

Dammit, I was doing it again!

I sighed. "Do you want me to cancel the dinner?" I asked her.

"Well... I wouldn't call it a mistake," he murmured, with a look that mirrored minor hurt. He spoke low enough to where Rae wouldn't hear, knowing she was in a state that'd blow this way out of proportion. His eyes scanned Melanie's face, taking in her teary, conflicted eyes and the way her lips pursed and puckered, like she was fighting to different desired actions.

"All bacon hatred aside," He mustered a crooked smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "If you... want to talk about what brought you to... feel the way you did last night, I'm here, alright?" Though from the way she said it, he wondered if she really even wanted that kind of reassurance. He'd offer it to her anyways, though, as it wasn't in his nature to kiss a girl, and then leave when she's confused about her feelings.

Not that he's really even been in a situation like that before. But he didn't want to be the guy that responded negatively.

He reached up and gently brushed her cheeks with his finger, catching the oncoming tears from the corners of her eyes. He grimaced, a sucker for tears. "You make it sound like you took drugs or something. We were just... experimenting, if you'd prefer to look at it that way. And I don't know about you, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat." He laughed bashfully, but he was genuine, last night weighed on his mind as if he'd never kissed a woman before.

-

"No, no, your family is just as important to me as mine... I think that's why I'm so stressed out. And in consequence, pork were wasted today," She grimaced, overhearing Melanie whine 'I hate bacon' and in response Rae hugged herself to Max's chest.

"I don't want to cancel." She added, but her tone was unconvincing. "The idea of being a disappointment to your parents, though... I know you've mentioned how overbearing they can be... plus, being a model is usually made a big deal of when I tell someone. They're either stoked, or disgusted. Even though I'm the perfect example of a self respecting, moral bound, drug free, food loving runway model. I could lie and just say I work in customer service, unless they wouldn't mind the fact that I'm a bartender. I could just say I work at the animal shelter, cause I volunteered... like, twice."

She groaned and leaned against the counter, "I could just explode. Cause that's basically whats going to happen anyways."

Melanie;

His comment made me blush, but I didn't let it show. I just continued drying my books.

But as the day progressed, I couldn't stop thinking about what he said. I sat in my room, still drying, when I finally couldn't take it anymore. I put the blow dryer down and got up and made my way to his room. This was stupid, I told myself. But I still knocked on his door, hoping he wouldn't think I was a jerk for being so cold to him earlier.

Maybe we could resolve this like two grown ups.

But then again, maybe not. He actually admitted to enjoying the kiss. He would be willing to do it again. And the thought of that excited me. The thought that he might embrace me and kiss me again, right now, excited me.

But, no. I wasn't here at his door for more kisses. I was here for...for...what was I here for?

Max;

The whole drive down to my folks' house was a wreck. I thought for sure Rae would jump out of the car, onto the freeway, and run back home screaming. Instead, she breathed and meditated, but I could tell she was about to lose it and explode any second, which is why I held her close to me when I knocked on the door of my childhood home.

I could hear pots and pans crashing, and then a dish crash to the floor, followed by a cat's yowl.

Ma was home.

"Maxwell! Maxwell! My baby boy!" I heard her cry, before she opened the main door and looked at me through the screen door.

She threw the screen door open and instantly, as if on demand, started crying happily.

"Oh, look at you! You grown so much, Maxwell!" She said, hugging me and kissing my cheeks over and over again, until she saw Rae.

"This must be Rebecca!" She sighed, going to embrace Rae.

"Rachel," I gently corrected her.

"Oh, you so pretty." Ma said. "Pretty, pretty girl. You and Maxy make beautiful Italian babies."

I chuckled, embarrassed, although I had to admit Ma was right. Rae and I would make some gorgeous kids.

"Martha, who at the door? It's not those Girl Scouts with their damn cookies again, is it?" I heard a voice from upstairs say. Dad.

"Nah, worse." I replied. "It's your eldest son."

She'd never come to talk, so he assumed that was the end of that. But instead of relief, he was more than a little disappointed. Not just in the fact she wasn't interested in continuing what they'd started, but that she also would be talking this out with him, thus, enabling the progression of the dreaded awkwardness. Maybe he was just being impatient, which was extremely uncharacteristic of him; but, hey, a woman he could actually trust, hold an intellectual conversation with and be genuinely, physically attracted to? Losing that would be a bummer.

So when she did knock, a while after the other pair had left, he brightened considerably, but paused behind the door, running his fingers through his hair, trying to seem a lot more relaxed than he was. He swung it open, baring a crooked, pearly white smile at the sight of her.

"Hey, zombie. What's up?" He greeted jokingly, but she looked far from the nickname. She seemed apprehensive, so he side stepped and gestured for her to come in. "Don't mind the paint. It's... everywhere." And it was true, he had over sized boxes stacked in the crooks and corners of his room, some with artsy intentions poking out, others full of blank canvases. His own works were stacked I'm containers near his closet, preserved and vibrant.

--

"Oh, thank you," Rae murmured bashfully, unable to even get an awkward hello in yet. The words 'make beautiful babies' twisted her stomach in knotts, but also sent a ripple of warmth through her body as her mind drifted...

...Oh, no, not here.

"You mean you're not girl scout? That's a deal breaker," Rae mumbled jokingly to Max, channeling humor to ease her stress.

They were ushered inside and Rae tensed considerably, now officially in the 'live to serve' mode. Diplomacy, charm, manners, intuition and poise. After all, these two strangers were to, eventually, be her parents. And if they raised her husband to be, surely Rae would find some way to connect? ...God willing?

Melanie;

Reluctantly, I stepped into his little corner of the apartment. All around me were works of art. Bright greens, calm blues, passionate reds. There were painting of landscapes and humans and nature. Paintings so rich and colorful that I almost got lost in them and forgot why I first came here to begin with.

I cleared my throat and took a deep breath.

"Look, I am so sorry I came off as a jerk this morning about the whole...kissing thing. I was just upset, that's all. And worried about my books. I don't mean what I said about last night being a mistake."

Kiss me, I begged him in my mind. Kiss me like you did last night, I wanted to scream. I wanted to finish what we started. But life wasn't that way sometimes.

I had a responsibility to Rae. I couldn't be falling for her fiance's best friend. That would be too awkward and I saw what falling in love did to my mom. It would never work.

Unless I didn't fall in love.

Max;

Ma brought us into the house where all eleven of my siblings were gathered around the table, arguing. We had 6 girls and 6 boys, including me, in the family, so every family dinner was like Thanksgiving with all its craziness. But I loved it; it was home.

"Patricia, Jimmy, Madeleine, Joey...stop fighting! You brother here!" Ma told my brothers and sisters, as Dad walked down the stairs.

"Well, I'll be damned," Dad said, taking a look at me. "Ah, so you did bring home a girl."

"Told you she was real," Patricia said. "You owe me 50 bucks, Madeleine."

Madeleine groaned, taking out some of her money, which was not much considering she was in the 8th grade.

"So you going to be my eldest son's wife, eh?" Dad asked, looking Rae up and down.

"Well... it was definitely impulsive. But I'm glad you acted out on me, instead of some stranger at the Apotheke." He flashed her his crooked smile, green eyes vibrant, but still thoughtful. He sat down on the edge of his bed, patting the spot beside him for her to come sit down.

"Seriously, Mel, don't apologize. If there's anyone who should be apologizing, it's Max for flinging the door open." He laughed a little, but suddenly his smile dropped. "Sorry, that... came out wrong. I just meant that... we're both pretty deprived of... anything." He chuckled again, deep and genuine. "And what you touched on last night was pretty sensible. If you even remember anything, that is."

---

Elegant-Round-Neck-Long-Sleeve-A-line-Dress.jpg

& Matching flats.

"Did I already tell you," Rae nudged Max as she took in the sight of his large, jubilant family. She waited for the anxiety, the overwhelmed surge to over take her and accelerate her heart beat- but nine of that came, instead, she felt oddly... excited. Or, hopeful, maybe. "-That I have nine other siblings? I've met three, talk to two others, but the others I've never met. Guess my dad had some free tome while he was stationed in the marines."

She laughed, albeit bitterly, but a smile graced her features afterwards. "I'm only close to my younger sister. I'd like to think your siblings will like me enough to make up for what mine didn't..." And she meant it, what if this was her big chance at a real family?

"I am! It's wonderful to meet you, sir," She said with a melodious voice, holding out her delicate hand, wincing as she realized that was a chance of rejection. She tensed a little as he examined her, she'd been so concise regarding her outfit, and left her hair straight, and long, it reached her hips and was a cinnamon hue with natural golden highlights. Never been dyed!

Melanie;

"I remember you kissed me and I've been wanting another one ever since," I said, before wincing at my stupidity. "I mean---!"

Ugh, who in the world was I trying to kid? He was hot with a capital H, hotter than all the guys I read about in my romance and chick lit novels, and better than any dude I dreamed up and wrote about in my stories. He was actually real, for one. But he was also sweet, and artistic, and sensitive and dorky, and, judging by the couples he had in his paintings, romantic.

I'd dated a few guys in my life. There was my first boyfriend, Jose, back in 7th grade. He was the toughest kid in the neighborhood and only acted like he liked me on Saturdays, when we would sneak into his parents' garage and make out in a way only 12 years could: sloppily and awkwardly. The next year, he dumped me for a little Puerto Rican girl named Rosalinda. Then there was Kevin, in freshman year of high school who was Napoleon Dynamite nerdy and talked about math way too much. Being more of a words person, I broke that one off fast. Then in 10th grade, it was the skater boy who had his locker next to mine, whose name was Ben. Then in 11th, it was this goth kid I met at the bookstore when I was going through my goth phase, and then in 12th, it was a jock named Ryan who only dated me because of a dare. The next one, and my most recent, was in freshman year of college. His name was a Cal, and he was a 30 year old poetic John Mayer type singer-songwriter, whom I gave everything to, and I mean everything, and made me think love might be real. He read me poetry, and took me to spoken word nights and music events. I thought we were something special. I thought maybe my mom was wrong.

Until he left me to marry the girl he had been cheating on me with. Last I heard, he moved to her hometown Seattle and they started a family together.

Zach may be sweet and cute, but I knew better.

But he was so cute, and Max and Rae wouldn't be home for two hours...

No, Mel, stop it!

Maybe...

No!

But what if...

Max;

Seeing Rae thrilled to meet my brothers and sisters was a huge relief. A lot of the girls I dated in the past freaked out when I told them I lived in such a big family. They thought we were scary or total weirdos, and we kind of are, but hey, that's my family. Take it or leave it. And it seemed like Rae was taking it.

I smiled, proudly, showing her off. She would be our new family member, and I knew she would fit in just perfectly, like my brother Nicholas' wife Penny, or my sister Angela's husband, Ronnie. They would all love her like I did, and we would all be one big happy family.

My smile fell though when Dad scowled at Rae and said, "Her dress too short."

"Dad---" I started, coming to Rae's defense and protecting her like a bee protected its honey from Winnie the Pooh, except my dad wasn't so cute, when my pregnant cousins, Tina, Nicki and Sylvia came running out of the kitchen.

"There that kid is!" Nicki cried, with dough all her over face.

"Is that our little Maxy?" Tina asked, with a knife in her hand, obviously in the middle of cutting vegetables.

"My, look at the beauty next to him!" Said Sylvia, mixing a bowl and balancing her baby girl, Josie, on her hip, while her son Nathaniel held onto her leg. They all went to hug and kiss us, crying happily like Ma did.

"Oh! My cookies are ready!" Sylvia said, after we heard a loud ding.

"Here, hold Josie will ya?" She said, handing the baby to Rae.

"Nathaniel, get off Mommy's leg, please!" She begged the toddler, when a chicken in full out freak out mode went running into the house, causing Josie, and the other babies in the house, to cry.

"Whoa, coming through!" Nicki's ten year old son, Tony Jr, said, chasing the runaway chicken.

So she wanted this too.

Without second of hesitancy, he embraced her tightly, arms firm around her waist as he pulled her against him, her figure seemingly too delicate against his own, which was toned, flushed, and way too eager for company. As their lips met, he inhaled deeply, her soft, feminine scent filling his lungs and splashing vivid colors across his mind, as if it were a fresh, clean canvas again.

He didn't really know what this was. As he gently lifted a hand, running his fingers through her hair, and that's when it really sunk in who this was, and he almost, almost, pulled away. Not because of her, but because of her standing- long time friend and roommate, a childhood friend and practically sister to both his closest friend and that man's fiance- She was such a vital part of the group, and the loneliness they mirrored had them completely rewriting that scenario.

And then it hit him- he didn't give a damn. Was that bad? Maybe not. But what did make for a potentially bad situation is that Melanie was kissing back, longing in every gesture, and that was doing a lot of things to him, and they were alone for the next two hours, maybe more if Max and Rae get... distracted, like they tend to do.

What was he even thinking?

---

Too short? Not really... my legs are just... really long... I am almost five ten...

She grimaced, and engraved the mental note of 'past knee length' into her brain. She hugged back every family member that embraced her, sighing in relief that she was at least semi-welcome.

"O-Oh, okay, no problem hun," Rae nodded, gently propping the infant on her right hip, and subconsciously going into bouncing mama mode. She kept her arm securely wrapped around the baby, whilst she held her left hand up for her to play with, her finger now as enticing as a Fisher price toy.

Though she'd plastered a warm smile on her face, and stood unwavering in the living room, inwardly, Rae was frantic. Too much commotion, though she had to high five irony for the fowl that burst through the front door. She took the high five back when every infant in the house began to cry, including the one on her hip.

"Shhhh, shhhh," She bounced the baby a little more, her heart beating rapidly as the crying filled her ears, which provoked her nervous system. She shot a weary look towards Max, "Please, get that chicken and the kid under control!"

"Shhhh, Josie, baby, don't cry. Look! What's that? ...I will literally do anything, just please stop crying." She briskly walked towards a quieter part of the house to try and find a distraction, knowing it was the craziness that'd upset the baby. The brunette took to playfully lifting the infant up in the air, making silly sounds of 'wooos' and giggles, to which the infant bared a big, toothless, cheeky grin. Despite her tendency to be a little short tempered and over dramatic, Rae was an incredibly gentle person, probably because, as an empath, she could feel the emotions projected from others, like the discomfort of this baby, or way back when Melanie was being bullied, she could sense the hurt and had to make it better, even if the bully came at her, instead. It wasn't necessarily noble, Rae despised anything that disrupted harmony. Like chickens.

Rae had also only ever babysat just a few times, but from watching her mother and a week of parenting classes (the only elective available!) she was surprisingly knowledgeable, especially for someone who really didn't want kids. Well, that... was a touchy subject. Thank God she didn't have to think about that right now. Her stomach pulsated at the very thought!

Melanie;

When I was kissing him, it was as if all my worries and pain evaporated. They just completely disappeared, as if they never even existed at all. I knew that wasn't the case, but it was still addictive, nonetheless. I grabbed his arms, feeling how strong and muscular-without-being-too-muscular they were, before grabbing his face. There was that mint gum scent again, and with it, all my guilt.

This would make things too complicated. And that was the last thing any of us needed right now. I knew from the day Zach moved in, from the way he looked at me, and I at him, that I couldn't pretend we didn't have some sort of crazy attraction.

It'd be so much easier if he was just another guy. But he wasn't.

I pulled away, but not for long, because I kissed him again. I just needed one more, before I was good.

I caught my breath, butterflies dancing in my stomach. There was no way I could pretend like I didn't care. I could play the "I need to think about it" card, but I couldn't go back now. I was sober.

Max;

"Tony, what did I tell you about letting the chickens out again?!" Nicki cried, running after her son. It was quite a sight to see: a pregnant woman wobbling after a boy who was chasing a fat, screaming chicken. Our dog, Barney, started barking, too, joining in the fun.

But in the midst of it all was Rae, who was calming Josie down, and I was falling in love all over again, my heart melting like ice cream in the sun.

I didn't have much time to swoon over her, due to the craziness, so I jumped into the Crazy Chicken party and chased after the loud animal.

"Tony, let the big boys handle this one," I told him, chasing the chicken around the house. She was a fast one, dodging my every move. You would have thought she was a cat. Maybe Barney thought she was a cat, and that was why he chased her with such enthusiasm.

I finally caught her, but not without her biting me.

"Ow!" I cried.

"Maxy!" Ma said, running to me. Tony Jr. snorted, taking the chicken from me as Ma attended to my small wound.

"Who's the big boy now?" He asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back