• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Something else [Rae & Disney]

"I... um," He rubbed the back.of his neck with a sheepish look, feeling the heat sizzle against his palm. His heart was knocking profusely on his chest, seemingly shouting 'Hello? What'd you stop for?'

But he didn't stop. He'd hardly budged. Melanie was the one who drew back, albeit with a reluctance he'd hoped wasn't something he imagined. He furrowed his brows, trying to look serious, or frustrated, or thoughtful- but he wasn't any of those things, he was... elated. In a weird, were screwed but I like it, way.

Suddenly, he laughed, and rested his head in his hands. "What are we doing?" He asked, his voice playful, yet incredulous. "I'd... say I'm sorry. But I don't think either of us are." He flashed her a pearly white smile, but it faltered into that usual bashful look when he caught sight of her flushed skin, reminding just how heated he felt himself.

--

Rae hummed sweet and soft as she held the baby against her chest, gently rocking it from side to side, one hand on her head as it laid nestled in the crook of her neck. Somehow, Josie had fallen asleep. The brunette wasn't questioning it, instead she mouthed a silent thank you to the big guy up stairs. Where the hell was her mother? This little girl needed a quiet room and a plush crib right now.

Quiet as she'd been, upon hearing Max's cry of pain her head whipped around worriedly, and as soon as she found him, with light steps she made her way over to him, her voice a whisper as she addressed his dilemma. "You alright love? I guess that was fowl play," She cracked a smile at the bad pun, remaining light although she did lean forward to inspect his injury. "I hope it wasn't too much of a birden."

She heard a few of his siblings snicker in response to her humor, to which she inwardly received her applause from an invisible audience. She tilted her head upwards and kissed his cheek.

Melanie;

"I---" I started, but didn't finish my sentence, because I caught sight of what was the most extraordinary art work I had ever seen in my life. It was a painting of a woman with brown chocolate eyes and curly brunette hair, wearing a white sundress. I could tell he was still in the middle of working on it, but it was still breathtaking. "You...painted this?" I asked, in total awe. So this is why he spent so much of his time in his room. I knew he was an artist; I just didn't know he was THAT good of an artist. Fantastic, even.

"You're amazing, Zach..." I said, almost in a whisper, but loud enough for him to hear. I could feel him behind me, our hands brushing, and I closed my eyes. I wasn't here. This wasn't happening. But I was here, and it was happening. We were crossing the line from friendship to...something else.

Max;

Rae's puns always made me feel better, so after Ma healed the bite and put a Mickey Mouse band aid on me like she always used to when I was a kid, and Josie was put in a carriage in the kitchen, I introduced Rae to my siblings.

"Wow, ya really pretty, Rae." Madeleine said.

"Yeah," Patricia, who was just a few years older than Madeleine, said. "Ya look like an actress or singer or model or somethin'!"

"Please," Joey said, rolling his eyes. "No model would date my brother."

"Oh, but they would date you?" Nicholas challenged.

Joey smirked. "Maybe. I do have some pretty sweet muscle," he said, flexing his muscles.

We all groaned.

Madeleine pushed Joey off the couch, which turned our groans into laughter.

"You're just jealous!" Joey said. "Women love me!"

"By women, do you mean Ma?" Patricia asked, causing us to laugh even harder.

"True," he responded light heartedly, his grin returning even if it didn't quite portray how he felt beneath the surface. At the moment, his art work was the last thing on his mind, which was rare considering how glued he's been to his easel the last few years. Then again, he'd had little to no distractions aside from Max and the occasional, spontaneous outings Rae beckoned that every one attend. Now that he thought about it, they were long overdue for one of those...

Focus, Zach!

On what? The temptress beside him? The commissions he was supposed to be finishing to make ends meet? His pounding heart, clenched jaw, or sizzling skin?

--

"Oh, right back at you!" She responded cordially, carefully tip toeing around any conversation that revolves around careers. She wasn't ashamed of what she did, of course not, she was an exemplary model, holding her beliefs and standards high and refusing most any explicit or suggestive requests out there. But that tended to be hard to explain to others, much less persuade.

Rae tried not to let the concept bug her too much, though. She laughed along with the others, glancing up at Max. Seeing how the elation just radiated from him made her want to really be at her best here, he was so comfortable, so at home, ad she'd never want to be the girlfriend that dragged him away from that, or distracted him from a real family.

Melanie;

"Look, do you want to...do you want to take a walk or something?" I asked him, after a long, awkward pause of torturous silence. "I was going to go to the park or whatever, and if you want, since Max and Rae are not here, if you want, we can hang out....if you want..." I said, my voice getting higher and higher until I finally sounded like some puppy's favorite squeaky toy being crushed to pieces. He was so cute. But I needed to get out of here and breathe, and maybe it wouldn't hurt to have him tag a long, because obviously what go wrong? Right?

Right?

"We can get pretzels." I offered, blushing.

Max;

After a few minutes of talking and laughing, Ma came out of the kitchen again and said, "Angela, I need your help with the food!"

Translation: all the girls need to go help Ma with the cooking. Now.

My sisters knew this all too well, and got up, immediately, knowing the fun was over...until dinner time, of course.

After all my sisters got up, there was a long and awkward pause, as everyone waited for Rae to get up. Oh, man. This was the moment I dreaded.

"Rae, ya comin'?" Patricia asked.

"Yeah," Madeleine said. "Ya gonna help out with the cooking, right?"

Uh oh. Rae knew how to cook, but there was cooking, and then there was cooking for an Italian family.

"Yes, Rebecca! Come ,come!"

"Are you bribing me?" He flashed her a grin, pausing to stare at her for the briefest moment before he rose to his feet, holding out a hand to help her up as well.

"I think we could both use some air," He nodded, and grabbed his jacket that hung over the door knob.

~

It'd taken longer than it should have to reach Central Park, but neither of them minded. Though a little heavy in silence, it's been a fairly pleasant walk, with Zachary attempting small talk and Melanie responding with red cheeks and stutters. He'd bought the pretzels and them each a beverage to go with them, and once they reached the lush green scenery of one of New York's greatest attractions, they took to sitting upon one of the many park benches; still a little damp from a cool morning, so, chivalrous as ever, he laid his jacket down for her to sit on. He laid out one arm behind her across the bench, folding one leg over the other and resting his other arm in his lap.

"So..." He exhaled sharply, and then gingerly sipped on his latte. Zach loved his coffee. "...Engagement, huh? Crazy stuff."

That's... about all they had in common at the moment. Was that going to start conversation? Or stress her out more?

--

Courtesy, or honesty?

"Of course, I'll be right there." She told them cordially, following up with an eager reassuring nod. As soon as the woman had disappeared into the palatial kitchen, Rae's gaze flickered to Max, and with a knowing groan she asked, "How screwed am I? Cause I don't think that one culinary class freshman year, or diner dash, was preparing me for tonight."

I could always call my mom for nonchalant help. Yeah, cause that's not the epitome of pathetic.

She placed her bag beside him, bracing herself as she entered the next challenge of the evening. After three deep, steady breaths she put on a warm smile and asked a question that made her heart splutter in dreaded expectancy, "So, what do you need me to do?"

Melanie;

"Yeah, engagement..." I said, nodding and looking around. Looking at anything and everything but him. The birds singing in the trees, kids playing on the grass, couples making out....until finally, I just blurted out, "This is all so weird. I mean, six months ago, Rae and I were two single girls living in the city, taking over the world. I was writing a lot, and Rae was so busy with modeling and not even dating, and then she meets this really nice guy---Max, obviously---and then she disappears every night for a few weeks until she introduces us and says, 'Oh, by the way, Mel, my new boyfriend is moving in with us! And hey, why not his best friend, too, who is also a new friend of mine you have never even met!' And now she's engaged and we're going to be stuck living together, when we hardly even know each other, and dammit, it's not fair! I hate change. Just when I thought I was getting my life together, it messes everything up, and---!"

Realizing I was saying too much, and being way too harsh, I took huge breath and said, "I am so sorry. I just...I just feel really lonely right now."

Max;

Watching Rae cook with my family was like watching a spider monkey try to learn how to drive. It was adorable, sad and even terrifying. Between being tossed pasta sauce and having dough thrown on her, not to mention spaghetti dropped on her hair, I thought for sure she would run out of our house, screaming and crying. Still, she held her own...until she accidentally set Angela on fire. It kind of reminded me of Mulan, actually, when Mulan set her matchmaker on fire, except Angela was meaner and way angrier. Honestly, it felt like every life situation of mine could be explained with a Disney movie. But anyway, Angela was pouring drinks for us, when all of a sudden...

"What is that smell?" I asked.

"I can see that." I grimaced, wrapping a comforting arm around her shoulders and hugging her to my side. It was an oddly warm gesture, but I just really wanted to do that, and all the signs pointed to the fact that she probably wanted me to do that, too.

"You could have just said no," I chuckled. "It's not like Rae would've forced you to live with us. She's... very persuasive, though, and... kind of always gets her way?"

"You know Max, and especially Rae, would be devastated to find out you've kept all this bottled up. Hell, I am, too. You should really pull your nose out of the books and screens and let one of us in on all that's pent up inside, you know?" I said, but spoke softly, not at all in a guilt provoking way. I just wanted her to know she's cared about.

"Change is... hard." I admitted. "But... Rae and Max aren't moving out anytime soon, I don't think he's bought Rae's dream townhouse yet." I laughed a little, pushing away the price tag on that ordeal. "Even when they do, I think we can make room mating work. And if you don't want to..." I assumed she knew where I was going with that, though by no means was I telling her to straight up get lost.

"If it helps any," My blue eyes found hers, but the bashful boy nylon swooned over broke through and suddenly this fair complexion was dusted pink. "I'm here for you. I would appreciate it if you'd stop apologizing, though. You've as much a right to be upset as anyone." I bared a half smile her way, hoping I'd come off as genuine instead of rambling, or worse, a jerk.

---

Some people screamed when they were terrified. Others, they ran for miles and left everyone behind. For those brave few, they jumped into action, resolving the situation like a boss in mere seconds.

Me? I just stood there. Jaw dropped, eyes bulging, heart racing, skin pricked with heat as my anxiety reached a peak that equalled that of a volcano at the brink of eruption. I was forgetting to breath, how to respond, react, only able to emit a breathless "Max!" to which no one heard, I was sure.

Angela was on fire.

I'd managed to set my future sister on law aflame, right here in the families kitchen, before an audience of future relatives who were already skeptical of my... existence.

With one swift notion, my brain connected to my body, though I'd had to stupidly watch a streak of fire eat at a lock of her fluid black hair before I'd been able to lunge for the counter, where the pitcher of ice cold water watched me mockingly. As I spun to splash it on her, remorseful and trembling as the flame dissipated, I'd slipped on a grease covered ladle that one of the children had knocked off the stove and into the floor, taking an uncharacteristically clumsy tumble down onto the floor (I've never genuinely fallen in my life!), banging my delicate shoulder into the protruding silverware drawer, and feeling my teeth clamp down on my bottom lip as my chin smacked painfully against linoleum. Blood drew from the tender, berry colored flesh of my mouth, and gradually I lost all the strength in my muscles as, instead of adrenaline seeping in, I was... crying. And I was also pathetically happy to be lying there instead of observing the chaos above, as an angry woman yelled at me for dumping a pitcher on her.

And I was doing so good... or so I'd been hoping.

Reluctant and still trembling, I reached up a shaky hand, my index finger crimson once I'd run it along my lips, tears stinging in my eyes from the deep gash created from my teeth. And don't even get me started on my chin.

Melanie;

I don't even know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this. I could feel my heart skip a beat and I trembled at his touch. As if it wasn't bad enough that he was gorgeous as all get out, he was the kindest soul.

"Thank you," I said. I couldn't stop blushing. "You're very sweet."

I hated the fact that I couldn't stop blushing. This was humiliating. But, wait, was he blushing, too?

I giggled.

"I just..." I started. "It's so weird. When I'm with you, I don't feel...so alone. I feel...a little better about life. Like, things will be better tomorrow. You know, like that song from Annie?" I asked, before singing, "The sun'll come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar, there'll be sun..."

I cleared my throat. Maybe I said too much. But maybe that was okay.

At that moment, I wanted so desperately to get closer to him, even if I couldn't figure out exactly why. Because he was hot? Because he was a sweetheart?

"It's crazy. I hardly even know you, but...I want to know you. I want to get to know you better. Since, we're, well, room mates and all..."

And because I want to marry you and have your babies, I thought to myself.

Max;

"Oh. My. God." Angela said, before screaming at the top of her lungs. Damn, I hadn't heard her scream that loud since Joey spilled cranberry juice all over her prom dress the night before her prom.

"Whoa," I said, heading straight for Rae, picking her up and taking a look at her injuries.

"Babe! Oh, man. Babe!" I cried, holding her close to me.

My mother put her hand on her chest, and cried, in Italian, "Oh, my goodness! She's bleeding! She's bleeding!"

"I'll go get an ice pack," Patricia volunteered.

"Should we take her to the ER?" Madeleine asked.

"Gross cut. Cool!" Joey said, laughing.

All eyes and help were on Rae, which caused Angela to yell, "Hello?! What about me? I was on fire just five seconds ago!! I can't believe it. I can't believe it! This---girl---lit me on fire and all you care about is a little cut on her lip? What is she even doing here anyway?"

"Hey, don't talk about her like that," I told Angela, but she wouldn't listen.

"She can't cook, she can't clean...I bet she ain't even made lasagna in her life!"

Ma gasped and replied, "Don't say such an evil thing! Of course everyone know how to make the lasagna!"

"Enough!" Pa cried, shutting us all up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I laughed a little. Melanie was more talkative than I'd pegged her for; just how much did she have brewing in that contemplative mind of hers? Apparently, a lot of it, at this moment anyways, revolved around me. And that brought me to feel like two halves, with one worried about where that'd take the two of us, and the other, the more dominant half, pleasantly curious.

"I'm all yours," Upon emitting a boyish chuckle. It was shocking to me, that there was so much truth behind that statement. I'd have to admit it sooner or later; I was deprived, too engrossed in my art, my escape, to let what I'd suppressed resurface and make me as vulnerable as Melanie admitted she was. And yet, here I was, on a central park bench with a crucial member of our pack, presumably starting what could, inevitably, make or break us.

"Maybe we should start walking again," I suggested, rising to my feet, but not without holding out a hand- still lightly dotted with artsy products of different colors- for her to take. To hold, if that's what she wanted. Anything to ease the conflict teeming behind those lovely irises of hers.

-

I couldn't have an anxiety attack. Not here, not now. Surely it wasn't that bad of a situation, and I was just over reacting, right?

Oh, but it was coming. My heart, like the wings of a humming bird against my chest, which was being crushed beneath the stress of another failed attempt at family, at contributing, at being normal; my lungs seemed to shrivel as, like I tended to do, began to forget how to breath, my throat closed up, like it always did, which prevented me from telling Angela what I'd like to, and that suppression fueled the flames broiling in the pit of my stomach. I hugged Max tightly, imagining how nice it'd be if the house was empty, and it was just the two of us, failing at cooking together, and then eventually caving and heading out to a fancy restaurant, to fill up on seafood, people watch, and mockingly voice all the snobs that sat across from us.

And then, just like that, a voice of authority took over, leaving a silence that he'd never know my gratitude towards, but also snapping me out of my reverie. I gratefully took Patricias ice pack, holding it to my lip which stung like a scraped knee against cement. Tears were brimming at the waterline but I would not cry, so instead I just blinked them away, and then, with a mustered up confidence despite my fading voice, I turned to face the family members, my eyes falling to my accuser. "I'm sorry, everyone, and especially to you, Angela. I'm not much of a cook, I spent a majority of my childhood without a kitchen. But I am trying."

Melanie;

To hold or not to hold, that was the question.

I took hold of his hand, letting him lift me up with his paint covered hands. Rough and manly, but with a gentle and caring grip. Hands I would feel safe in, and maybe, arms I would feel safe in, too.

Stop it, I told myself. This was no time for fantasizing. I could daydream all I want in my novels and writing process, but this was reality.

"So, what do you do for fun?" I started off. Simple and harmless.

Our conversation swirled in so many different directions, though. We talked about art, movies, music, books, and TV shows; we discussed nature, food and travel, but then things took a personal turn.

A harmless conversation about our favorite ice cream flavor turned into a dangerous conversation about childhood memories, about our families, and I found myself shielding myself. I was caving in, hiding underneath my shell of silence and fake smiles. What could I say about my childhood? I already said enough! Should I have told him that my mom drank like a fish and how she took all her anger out on me? Should I have told him that I cried for my dad every night, until I couldn't cry any more? Should I have told him that I developed deep anxiety and depression that never went away?

No, it was better to hide behind my walls. Better to be safe in my tower of isolation, than risk losing him. So hid I did.

Could Zach notice?

Max;

There was a long moment of silence, before everyone, excluding Pa, Angela, Rae and me, burst into laughter.

"Without a kitchen!" Ma said, giggling like crazy. "Rebecca, you so funny!"

In my family, not growing up in the kitchen was unheard of. A woman not knowing how to cook a fine meal was like saying she never learned how to count or recite her ABCs. It was so tragic and unbelievable to them that they refused to even entertain the idea.

Eventually, things settled down and we had dinner. Tonight Ma brought her best, with Rae being there and all. She made us lamb, spaghetti, ravioli, and even home made pizza. And if that wasn't enough, she also whipped up her famous apple pie.

"So you get married in Catholic church." Pa said, slicing into his lamb. It wasn't a suggestion. Rae and I were in the middle of explaining how we got engaged, but Pa wasn't interested in the details. He had other things on his mind, as usual.

As we walked, gradually coming across the long way back to the apartment, I realized just how much of the talking I'd been doing, and it was getting a little frustrating. I'd noticed the lack of response I was getting out of Melanie. It'd gone from verbal, one worded retorts, to subtle nods and forced smile. A gradual decline in interest, and when my eyes flickered to meet hers, I sensed she was uncomfortable, so I slowed my pace a bit; how long had we been walking?

"You tired? Homes just a couple blocks away, but I can call a cab." I offered, trying to muster a crooked grin, but all I did was purse my lips.

Had I said something? Not to my recollection. We'd covered so many topics since we'd started talking, inevitably falling into some more personal, complex internal truths. But when I'd pursued those concepts, I'd figured that's what she'd wanted. To know about me, for

Me to listen to everything she had to say; had I not heard her verbally state that at the bench? What was her definition of getting to know someone?

"I do hope I didn't pry," I said, perhaps a bit too formally. I watched her face, and it was displaying such a mix I didn't know what emotion dominated over the other; determination, reluctance, if anything. Get me comfortable enough and I could willingly tell you my life story- in a nut shell, of course- but talking, with the right people, didn't bother me at all.

--

I'd stayed glued to Max's side after the incident in the kitchen, reluctant to do anything without his advisory. After my disregarded apology earlier, and my ignored display of emotions, I tucked away and sealed any and every bit of myself, and instead, used the same personality I did when in a casting room full of judges who only wanted the obvious, nothing behind the mask of a potential model. Or in this case, wife.

No, of course not. I don't even know if I want my wedding in a church!

"I..."

Never lie. You've seen too many sitcoms to know how this goes.

"Of course!" I responded, and mentally stabbed myself with my fork.

Then again, no one lies as convincingly as me. And all I want to do is be a part of this damn family! I'll have it on the moon if it makes you happy! That'd.. probably be better than a Catholic church, actually.

With my stomach in heated knots and my throat parched and still in hyperventilating mode, I could only, slowly, sip on my ice cold water, and scoot around my meal to make it seem like I was cleaning my plate. My tense neck ached, so I stayed leaned back against Max's chest as appropriately as I could, yearning for his comfort.

Melanie;

Pull yourself together, I screamed inside.

"Sorry, I'm just...still a little hungover from last night." I lied.

I made sure to breathe and be logical about this. I didn't have to tell him everything. I didn't even have to tell the truth about everything! I didn't have to be vulnerable, at least not too much. I just had to be smart about this.

My story was a story I could edit and rewrite. I could change the backstory, the characters, and maybe even the plot. I was a storyteller, after all. It wouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

I bit my lip, thinking. "When I was little, my mom used to take me to get ice cream every Sunday, after a trip to the library. She'd get me a book or two, and buy us mint chocolate chip ice cream. Sometimes we would even get a root beer float." I said, creating a delicious fantasy. "My favorite memories are when she would read to me. We would sit in the backyard hammock in the summertime and drink iced tea, reading Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. And before bed we would read Harry Potter, one chapter a night. She would do the character voices, too."

In reality, my mom never took me out for ice cream and new books. We never hung out in the backyard together, or read stories before bedtime. In reality, she got drunk and called me names. She would mock my love for literature, telling me I would never be anything of worth.

But Zach, beautiful Zach, didn't need to know these things.

I sighed, determined to be happy. The past was the past, and I was going to rewrite it! And maybe, Zach would help me rewrite this story of mine.

"You know," I said, "I am actually SO in the mood for ice cream right now? Aren't you? I'll race ya to the ice cream shop."

Max;

"Well, I mean, it doesn't have to be a church. Does it?" I asked, laughing nervously. I wrapped my arm around Rae, sweating like crazy. I hadn't even broke the news to my folks that Rae wasn't even Catholic.

Pa just gave me his look. The look he gave me when I pulled pranks as a kid, or made inappropriate jokes, or just outright embarrassed him in front of his buddies. The look that said, "You're not getting out of this one, kid, so don't even try."

"Oooh, I can even plan the wedding!" Ma said, excitedly. "We can shop for the wedding dress, and I can make the food, and oh, we can't forget the guest list! We have to invite the whole family, of course. Uncle Boris, Aunt Carlata, Grandmama Marie, Grampa Mikey---"

"Why you want to invite Boris?" Pa asked, shaking his head.

"He's your brother!" Ma replied.

"Ha!" Dad said. "He a no-good rat is what he is! Letting his son marry an actress!"

"I thought uncle Boris was dead?" Madeleine asked, chewing on her pizza.

"No, that's uncle Bernard." Patricia corrected.

"Uncle Bernard is dead?!!" Joey said, dropping his fork to the floor in shock.

Jimmy, my little goth brother, who hadn't said a word up until then, groaned something about how he was surrounded by crazy people. My other sisters, Tanya, Natalie and Anna started arguing about why it was such a huge deal that uncle Bernard's only son would marry an actress, while my other brothers, Vince, Johnny and Dylan argued over whether or not uncle Boris was dead.

So, in other words, it was a typical night at our house, but probably a nightmare for Rae. After a few minutes, Ma changed the subject to something none of us were expecting.

"So, when you two have babies? You make lots and lots of babies, yes?" She asked innocently.

With an arched brow but a genuine interest, I listened to her sudden elaboration on her past. I felt a little guilty, as if I'd pushed her to recollect the best she could to contribute. But she seemed convincing, and pushing what little edge she may have might lead me to ruin the evening.

So, instead, I nodded, I listened, and naturally took in all the little wants and likes she'd mentioned.

Ice cream-- Root beer float, on Sundays. Books. Wonderland. Peter Pan. Harry Potter. Backyard readings and iced tea in the summertime.

Different, to say the least, from what me and my mother did together. Of course, we were indeed together, but we bonded through rigorous spring cleaning, raising my misfit siblings, coping with my father's absence, grocery shopping, attempting to change two flat tires at midnight on the freeway...

Whoa, blast from the last, or what?

I blinked tightly, urging those thoughts to lock themselves away again. It's not that I buried them, I just... buried them.

When she finished her reminiscing and went on to exclaim her sudden craving for ice cream, I found it both adorable, appropriate, and an excellent subject change.

"Race me?" I snorted, "there's no way you'll beat me."

--

I learned a few things whilst sitting at the table with my fiancee and his family that night. I liked his little brother Jimmy. His mother was planning both my food and guest list, so those expensive plates with the seafood I wanted were out of the question. I reeeeeeally don't like lasagna.

But the truth behind Uncle Boris will forever remain a mystery.

That thought had pleasantly taken hold of my curiosity, so as I disdainfully munched on fork full of cheese, I wondered, how could someone not know if he's alive or not?

But due to the question that literally led to me choking on my next mouth full of pasta, it came out, how could someone not you make lots of babies if he's alive-- Wait, what?!

I coughed and sputtered, chasing down what I could with my water whilst Max attentively patted my back.

"Lots of... Oh!" I exhaled, forcing a bright, plastered, fakest of fake smile as my flushing cheeks bared red from choking. "Max and I... Haven't really discussed that yet, either. I... would assume we could have children in the future..."

Stop lying! Maybe one baby! One! Lots? What's exactly does 'lots' entail? Cause I like my figure, and I'm not losing it- I haven't even joined the Victoria's Secret Angels yet! Ohhh... I need an Advil...

Mel;

And just like that, even if only for a little while, my worries evaporated. My soul was at ease.

"Hmm, well..." I said in a fake British accent, petting my imaginary beard. "we will see about that, my dear friend!"

With that, I took off. I was a pretty good runner, if anything. Even Rae, who is the most fit person I know, can barely catch up to me. Maybe it's due to all those years I spent running away from mean girls who threatened (and did) flush my head in the toilet and lock me up in my locker, until Rae took care of them.

But unlike with those girls, I wanted Zach to catch me.

We finally made it to the ice cream shop, where I bumped into Madison, one of our neighbors, who desperately wanted to be best friends with Rae, mostly because of Rae's connections in the fashion industry. Madison Piper, six feet of terror, was determined to be the next Victoria's Secret Angel. And you know what? Maybe with her strawberry blonde hair and size negative 0 waist she could. Why she was having a vanilla ice cream cone, instead of her usual lemon juice with kale or whatever you call it drink was beyond me. I never even saw her eat. But today she was eating, no, devouring, her little ice cream cone with bliss.

Until I bumped into her and the ice cream slid down her purple tank top and black leather jacket.

Max;

"Oh, I didn't mean now, my little darling..." Ma said, to which I sighed a breath of relief.

"You can have a baby a few months from now. Maybe six months from now."

"Uh, Ma---" I spoke up, but Pa decided it was his turn to speak.

"Now," he said, standing up and raising his wine and narrowing his eyes at Rae. "You my daughter now. You be good wife and you be good mama. May you cook, clean and give my son many children, mostly boys."

Joey snorted at that one. My dad shot him his famous "Shut the hell up," look. Joey did shut the hell up.

"And may you always be good Catholics." Dad continued. He must have seen something in Rae's face he didn't like, because he leaned in and asked her, "You are Catholic, yes?"

Oh, man. Rae being a supermodel was one thing. The fact that we were living together was another.

But Rae not being Catholic? That was going to be the dealbreaker for them. I wouldn't let them do this.

"Dad---" I started.

"I asked her." Pa replied. He must have known, or at least wanted to make sure before he officially accepted her into the family. I was nervous like hell, considering it was impossible to lie to my dad when he stared at you like this. I wanted to intervene, but would that make things worse? Could Rae convince him, or would she break down like one of those criminals in those crime shows where the detectives keep them in a room and question them for hours until they break down and confess their sin?

I skidded to a stop just a few feet behind Melanie, whistling lowly in shock as she managed to coat a six foot neighbor of theirs with her own desert. If it'd been Max, I'd be clutching my side's from the pain of laughter, knowing he'd joke his way out of it, taking the verbal beating of a valley girl on the way. But, unfortunately, Melanie had been the one to cause the accident, and considering the flushed face and clenched fists of the woman before her, he knew this wouldn't end on a light note.

"Do you... Have any idea... How much this jacket cost?" Screeched the woman, living up to her stereotype like she'd read a script for it. "I... Have Tiramisu... on my Gucci..."

To that, I snorted out loud, jogging up beside Melanie. "Yeah, I'm not a doctor, but... You should proooobably get that checked out."

"Who the Hell do you think you are?"

"Batman, but... that's a secret."

"...Are you retarded or something?"

"Now, that's just discrimination."

She started to bark something else along the lines of 'you miserable little-!', but I wasn't about to let her finish that sentence. Swiftly, I slipped an arm around Melanie's waist, leveled the woman's glare with a malicious one of my own. Six foot woman or not, I was on the defense. "Little what?"

--

I can't do this any more! And if Max can't say anything, damn it, I sure as hell Will!

"No, I'm a Christian, and that's none negotiable," She stated, her voice firm and her gaze locked with his. She suddenly felt very defensive. The amount of testimony and backstory that came with her religion wasn't to be tampered with, even when it came to Max. A heat bubbled in the pit of her stomach, a sudden, regained confidence that was fed by the first ounce of truth she'd spoken that evening.

"And, now that that's out in the open," She continued, inhaling a deep breath despite the feeling that the air ducts through her throat were about to close. "I'm a model. Stable, and well paid bartender on the side, but my dream job for years has been to become a supermodel, and I'm doing really good for myself."

"And you know what?" She continued as she scooted out her chair, and rose to her feet. "If Max'll have me, I'm going to be the best damn wife he'll ever have; and if children come into the picture, I'll be a mom that raises children as exceptionally as both of you, and my mom, have. However, let's get something straight. Under no circumstances, will I become a stay at home wife, and spend my life raising a handful of children. Not that there's anything wrong with that," She continued. "But I have dreams of seeing the world that God gave us, of finding myself, of owning a yacht, walking the Victoria's Secret runway, even! I've faced opposition all my life, and I've come too far to give up what I've worked so hard for. What Max wants means the world to me, and if children are in the cards, my career can be put on hold."

"All this talk of expectations, though... I'm sorry, I just won't meet every requirement you two have on the table. Or all of you. Or... even Max's expectations." She told them, and took a step back, fully prepared to be kicked out, and along with that knowledge came the possibility that Max could very well side with them, too. Which she wouldn't blame. But she'd have to find another ride home... And a fiancee... The anxiety had officially ignited, and visibly her chest rose and fell as she tried to get a hold of her nerves.

Mel;

She couldn't do anything but scream with her mouth shut and walk off, pouting and whining about how unfair life is.

"Oh, gosh..." I said, trying to hold my laughter. "I feel...horrible..."

But I couldn't help it. I started laughing, really laughing, and hard. My stomach ached and I lost my breath, but it didn't matter, because what Zach just did was so classic and certainly not something I would have the courage to do.

I don't even think Rae could come up with something like that! Although, maybe she could, but she wouldn't slide her hands around my waist like that.

That's when I noticed his hands were still on me, and, as awkward as it was....it felt good.

I should have giggled nervously and moved away from him, but I didn't. Instead, I let him hold me.

"Whaddya want?" A punk girl, probably still in high school, asked us, as we entered the ice cream shop.

"Uhh, let's see..." I said, looking at my options, still aware of Zach holding me. We still giggled like little kids, due to what happened two minutes ago, which annoyed punk girl.

She popped her gum and rolled her eyes, before saying, "Ugh, I hate it when people are in love."

At first, I didn't realize she was even talking to us, since there were other people there. But she was.

"In love?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Yeah," the girl replied, like I was stupid. "The way he looks at you, like he's a puppy. And the way you blush when you catch him looking at you. Not to mention he's got his arms all around you right now. It's only a matter of time until you guys start making out. Get a room."

Max;

We were dead.

Still, I would stand by Rae, no matter what. She was my girl. So I stood up.

"She's right," I said. "I love you guys, but believe me, if I have to choose between you guys and Rae, it's going to be Rae any day."

I could see Angela grow angrier and angrier by the second, shaking with fury. My pops wasn't too pleased either, considering he was frowning and grinding his teeth. I became nervous, until Patricia stood up and screamed.

"Woo! You tell 'em, girl!" she said, running over to Rae and hugging her.

"Patricia!" Angela said, insulted.

"No, Angie, she's right." Patricia said. "Why does it matter if she's Catholic? And why should she have to pop out babies and cook and clean all day like you?"

Angela gasped, ready to get her hands on Patricia's throat, when Madeleine stood up, too, and gushed over Rae like she used to gush over new Barbie dolls on Christmas mornings and her birthday.

"You're a model?!?" Madeleine asked, excited. "I knew it! I knew there was something cool about you!"

"Ma! Pa!" Angela cried, "Stop them!"

"Girls---" Dad started.

"Dad---" I said, "what's the big deal?"

"What's the big deal? What's the big deal?! The big deal is she's not like us!"

"So what? I love her!"

"She's too different."

"Different is good."

"Different is never good."

"You're just---"

"SILENCE!" Ma yelled, and then looked at Rae. "I see you. You different. You Christian. You model. You different. But...but...you love my son, yeah? So...I...I...how you say it? I accept you."

"WHAT?!!!" Angela and Pa said, in unison. But I was so freaking happy at least someone in this family was on our side.

"Someone seems a little bitter," Zachary murmured, giving Melanie a light squeeze around her waist before dropping his arms to his side, his cheeks tinted with pink as the other woman's words sunk into his skull.

He arched a brow, giving the exotic female an incredulous look before his eyes wandered up to the board. "Young love is befuddling," he answered finally, leaving plenty of room open for discussion, and also questioning whether or not that was a word.

"What do you want, Mel?" He asked finally, after staring at the little dots on the menu like he was browsing his options. He already knew what he wanted, he was just pretending to he occupied so he could let his blush settle.

"I'll take the... Pistachio." He told the woman, and after a moment, he slipped one arm back around Melanies waist. "Half that, and half rocky road, actually. Get whatever you want, you did win the race, and topped it off with a model sundae." He cracked a smile.

---

Max's words actually made Rae tear up, and she leaned up to kiss him despite it not matching up to the moment. The sentimental moment was soon over run with a sudden division of the family that she didn't intend to cause. Relieved as she was to have Patricia and Madaleine as support, Ma came as the greatest shock.

"I... I really appreciate you saying that. It means so much to me," She told 'Ma', and then who could be her future sister in laws. However, as happy as she was that one of his parents 'accepted' her, Rae could've cried with the way his father seemed to disapprove so greatly of her. Angela she could deal with, there was always one; hell, most all of Rae's relatives ignored or disliked her. But she wanted some form of a father in her life, and he'd been her only shot as she knew she'd never meet hers...

She gulped, unnerved by the animosity. "I... I don't want friction. I'm... very different, in general. I was too different for my family, for like, everyone I've met... Even my sister, and Melanie, who's like a sister to me too, don't always know how to handle me. But... Max does... and I just... really don't want to start all over... I'm finally comfortable." She was at a loss for words, and her voice was low enough compared to the shouting the family ensued that she couldn't even say whether or not they heard her. She felt her chest constrict, and her breathing tightened; for her anxieties sake, she sat back down in her chair, but had a hand in her purse should they be told to leave.

(I'm on my phone ATM, so sorry foe any typos, etc. :)

No prob, I understand (:

---

Mel;

"I'll take peanut butter and chocolate," I said, before adding, "Oh! Can we get two hot cocoas?" I asked, then told Zach, "Hot cocoa is on me, since you stood up for me right now."

Punk girl groaned, but I ignored her.

Zach and I were sitting down, enjoying our treats, when I got a text from my boss.

"Remember: relationships article is due next week!" He texted.

"Ugh," I moaned. Now I was the annoyed one. "My boss. I have an article due next week about 'how to know if it's true love'. Pretty deep stuff. I'm not used to it. Usually I just write articles on how to tell a guy you like him or tell high school girls how to get over a break up. My boss even had me write one of those stupid 'how to tell if he wants to kiss you' articles...but this, this is different. How do you even know if it's true love, whatever that means?"

I took a sip of my cocoa, deleting all of the neurotic texts my boss sent me today. Goodness forbid I don't text him back within half a second, or I might just get thirty hundred texts. How fun.

Max;

I could tell Rae was hurt and probably wanted to cry right now. I wasn't one to get mad often. It was hard to upset me, since I was a calm guy mostly. Jokes were my way of fighting, but right now, I didn't feel like joking around.

"I thought you knew better," Pa said, and damn, did that sting. I looked around at the rest of my family. "So you're gonna be like that, huh? You're not going to accept her into the family just because she chooses to live her life differently? That's just great. Weren't you guys just talking about feminism five seconds ago?" I asked my other sisters, who shrunk back at my accusation. I didn't like this guy I was becoming. Right away, I could feel the urge to make a joke.

Joey did it for me, though.

"Hey, don't look at me!" He said. "I like supermodels. Rae, you got any supermodel friends? Is Mel a supermodel?"

Ma just slapped him.

On our way home, I felt horrible. I had to make it up to Rae, but how?

"I am so sorry about that, babe..." I saif, clutching on the steering wheel and wishing I could hold her instead.

"Can't help you there sweetheart," I laughed lightly, jabbing a mountain of frozen dairy with my spoon, catching my pensive reflection on its silver backside to which I merged into a half smile. "I wouldn't know, I've never witnessed it myself."

"Maybe you can rent some chick flicks?" He suggested light heartedly, "Or, ask Max and Rae. They're your best bet- unless, the family dinner was a disaster, and the engagements off. And knowing Max's relatives..." Zachary didn't want to remember when he'd been introduced to his family. They'd gotten along Alright, but was because Zachary kept his mouth shut and spent most of his time pretending he didn't hate all the kids and loud mouthed women running through there.

"Lets just say, chickens are a pain."

He laughed at the memory, before shifting his attention back to Melanie and her words. Dare he ask her to talk to her parents? With the way she'd closed up earlier, regardless of what she'd said afterwards, something told him not to go there. "My dad wasn't home much, but my mom was always waiting on him till he did. I don't know if that's true love, or dependency considering she had three boys and a daughter who wanted a naval piercing."

He sheepishly rubbed the back of his head, "Mmm... You could always interview some senior home around here. There's bound to be some fifties couples willing to share their story. I'll go, if you want." Personally, Zachary loved the idea, got him out of the apartment, meant more time with this sudden ray of sunshine, and he did really enjoy stories of devotion.

---

I settled into the slightly reclined passenger seat as we drove, long legs outstretched, feet kicked up on the dashboard, eyes weary and rheumy as they gazed out of the tinted windshield. Despite my monster of a migraine, the sizzling slice on my lip, and the burning and twisting of my stomach, I was gradually relaxing, both from my love of car rides, and the fact that it was finally just me and Max.

"Oh, don't be... It's not our fault families are... kind of crazy," She laughed a little, but her eyes seemed so tired. "I shouldn't have been so defensive, I never meant to cause friction... it all just struck a chord in me, and I... snapped. You know how I get."

"I think I need a glass of red wine- or two." She sighed as her migraine intensified, "And an alieve. Or two." She frowned and looked to him, "How are you feeling about all this? Are you mad at me? I wouldn't blame you... do you think your dad's right? That I'm no good for you?"

Mel;

Why was it everyone seemed to have messed up families? Why is it everyone's parents were divorced or had issues? Sure, Max's folks were still together, and happy from what I heard, but they were also crazy. I'd never met them, but Max told stories.

"A senior home?" I asked, taking a bite of my ice cream, which was now melting on me. "You'd actually go with me? Actually, that's...that's a great idea. I would like that. Thank you."

We stayed quiet for a few seconds, before I asked, "So have you ever been in love before? Has a girl ever...captured your heart?"

I didn't even know why I cared about his love life. But I did.

I chuckled at myself. "I am so sorry. Is that too personal? I mean, I have been in love before. I was in love a year ago. Madly. I gave him everything. I thought he loved me. I thought...I thought he was going to marry me. Then he married someone else."

I cleared my throat and accidentally got some chocolate ice cream on my nose.

Max;

I made a mental note to get Rae some wine from the store. Chocolates, too. She liked chocolates. And roses. I was thinking about how to make it better for her, when she asked me if I was mad at her, if my dad was right, if she was no good for me.

"Rachel," I said, letting her know I was serious. I only called her Rachel when I was being serious. "I am not mad at you, baby. My pops, I love him, but I love you more. And no one will get in between us and that love."

Getting engaged had been more stressful than I thought. I had always seen those rom-coms where that young and newly engaged couple have to deal with the in laws from Hell, but those were actors, just fictional characters. Watching it was one thing. Living it? Oh, boy.

If only we could get away from it all...

Wait.

Wait a second.

That's it!

"Tell ya what. Why don't we take a weekend beach trip? It's Mel's birthday this Saturday, so it would be the perfect excuse to take a mini-vacation. Mel and Zach will get to know each other better, meanwhile you and me, well, we'll have our own fun. Whaddya say, Rae? You'd like that?"

I just wanted to see her smile again. I wanted to hear her laugh. I hated what my family did to her, and I was determined not to ever let them treat her like that again, especially my old pops. I had seen how he treated my brothers' fiances and girlfriends, how he had taken the spark out of their eyes and sucked the life outta them. No way was he doing that to my Rae.

"Yeah... I've fallen hard a few times."

I gently reached over and brushed my thumb across the tip of her nose, her skin soft and fair, almost the same color as mine. I smirked a little in response to her cute slip up. But my eyes grew a lot more distant, and a coldness clouded the irises, since she poised her question, and although I'd been comfortable conversing with her all evening, that particular inquiry had been like a steak knife in the gut. For a moment, I stared at her, but instead of the sweet, harmless roommate sitting in front of me, I saw... Alice. And it was all I could do, to not slam my fist into the nearest tangible object. Something Max would tell you, I've done in the past.

"I'm... Sorry, that he did that to you. No one deserves to be betrayed like that," I told her, my clenched jaw gradually relaxing back into a crooked smile, semi genuine, but with a hint of bitterness as I reflected on a memory I'd tried to let seep out of me, and into my canvasses. "I wouldn't have done that to anyone. And I'm sure you wouldn't either."

Was I sure? Not at all. But I was in and out of the present moment, and had to find something reassuring to say. For both of us.

---

"Wull yeaaah..."

A quivering lip led to one sob, which broke through all the effort I'd put into not crying today. Through all the terrible, anxiety provoking events that'd taken place today, his sweethearted nature I'd fallen in love with just made it all worth it. I sat up and leaned over to press a million little kisses to his face despite my tears, mumbling how much I loved him through the sniffling, and then, as the dread left me, I did what I did best, I started to imagine.

"I can't even remember the last time we went to the beach..." I told him softly, through the sniffles, cuddled up to his side, even though it'd make it a little more difficult to drive. "Victoria's secret has a huge sale on two pieces right now," I gave him a knowing, flirty kind of smile.

"Oh, gosh... Melanie's birthday... We have to do something really special. More sentimental than over the top..." I winced as my migraine continued, lessening, but still prominent. "We so need a vacation... Zach too. He's in his room too much."

Mel;

In the blink of an eye, Zach went from his sweet smile, to a sudden yet quiet rage, and back again to his normal self. It frightened me a bit. No, a lot. I pressed a button I shouldn't have.

"Zach? Are you okay?" I asked, fear in my voice. I didn't know what to do, but somehow my body did, because I reached over to him and placed my hands on his, squeezing them gently. As I unclenched his fists, I noticed he had a few cuts and a band aid on his hands, and I traced my fingers a long them.

"Hey, it's...it's okay. I'm here." I said, knowing I messed up. I could see the pain in his eyes, so familiar. So like my own. And I knew.

So he had been hurt, too.

I slid my chair next to his, which caused a horrible sound, but whatever, and hugged him. "It's her loss. You are a great guy."

I guess I never thought a guy like Zach could get his heart broken, since he was so happy and goofy, but broken it was. And somehow, I found myself wanting to help him put it back together.

We walked home together, and this time, I found myself holding his hand until we reached our apartment.

When I opened the door, I saw we had a little surprise.

Max;

"There she is! That's my Rae!" I said, laughing. We were so excited, we made reservations before we even got home!

I was in the grocery store getting Rae her wine and treats, when the hotel folks asked me how many rooms I wanted. "Uh, two." I said, balancing my phone on my shoulder, as I almost dropped a wine glass. Whew. That was a close one. It was not until I hung up that I wondered how Zach and Mel would feel sharing a room...

Eh, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I purchased Rae's stuff, and we headed home, finding the apartment empty.

"Perfect," I said, pouring Rae wine. "We can surprise them."

I ran to Zach's bedroom, got a white poster and markers and wrote on it, "We're Going On Vacation!"

That's when I heard the door open, and ran out with my sign.

Zachary;

Holding Melanie's hand on the walk home was oddly comforting. I hadn't done something like that in years, and I forgot that, at one point before the bitterness took root in my heart, I'd been the one to initiate such affectionate gestures, and more. I'd remained cordial and, by the time we reached the front steps, I felt I'd completely cooled off from earlier, at least enough to be genuinely friendly before I took to a sullen, thoughtful night in my room.

As the front door swung open, we were both surprised to find Max holding up one of my poster boards, with that dorky grin that led me to believe he was up to something. Rae posed at his side with her hands gesturing towards brightly colored, boyish handwriting, just like a model:

We're going on VACATION!

I laughed as I closed the door behind us, arching a brow as my eyes didn't fail to take in the pair of wine glasses on the further kitchen counter, filled to the brim and blood red. "Wine and a vacation? Did you piss off the family and now we all have to leave town?"

I cracked a smile Melanie's way, a little confused at how I'd suddenly realized, just the tiniest part of me, but enough to be notable, was disappointed we hadn't come back to an empty apartment. Why was that?

---

Rae;

"Oh, by the way, the village called, they want their idiot back," I grumbled, to which Zachary pretended to be shot.

"And here Max says you're an angel. Lies."

I stuck out my tongue, to which he rolled his eyes and then responded. "So, what is this, a road trip?"

"You know it! We're driving all the way out to Coney Island!" I watched as he settled in, slipping off his jacket and heading over to the closet to hang it up. It was just then it dawned on me; he and Mel had come in together? Not that it mattered, but... I'd never seen them really hang out before. Honestly? If that was the truth, I was thrilled, they both needed company. My eyes flickered to Max, our usual telepathic gaze meeting, and I attempted to get him to notice what I did, but it didn't always work.

"It was Max's idea," I said proudly and shifted my attention, my heart fluttering as it always did when I said his name. "We all need a break, and... we know there's a special event coming up," I wiggled my eye brows at Melanie, walking over and embracing her in a side hug. Tidbit, I rarely hugged. I did so with Max, my mom, and as a professional, kiss ass gesture, but that was it, it was kind of an intimate thing for me. Melanie knew that. Zach just added that to his 'list of reasons you're a weirdo'.

"How was your day, Melly?" My nickname list for her went on, just like it did for all my special people. "Great, I hope?" I didn't say anything about the little spot of melted chocolate I observed on her shirt, or the faintest blush dusting her cheeks. But I noticed it.

"Just think, hours and hours of driving, together, on a wide open rode, with a bunch of salty snacks and sweets, classic rock on the radio, the stars as our guide... all the way to a beach filled with history, a cozy hotel, a Jacuzzi... Max, a mini bar and 'cuzzi! A little wine, soft rock, the oceans waves crashing in the background, that really yummy cologne you wear..."

Shirtless, a grin that lights up the night, a big, plush bed and a lock on the door...

My skin sizzled, and my heart beat louder, at the thought of a romantic weekend with Max.

--

Zachary;

"Aside from the Max and a Jacuzzi fantasy, that all sounds really nice," I chuckled, albeit giving her an odd look at her sudden shift in mood. "I think we deserve a break, don't you?" I looked to Melanie with the smile of an opportunist. This weekend opened up a lot for them, bonding for the four of them, a late night at the bar with Max if he can let go of Rae, and...

...A walk on the beach with Melanie. A Ferris wheel, if there's a festival going. More ice cream- I could do that. I sighed a little, here went my innovative mind again. Would a weekend of indulgence really kill me, though? Or could I stand to be a little careless again?

Mel;

"Vacation!" I cried, super excited. "Oh my gosh, this is gonna be so much fun!"

Then I remembered my boss. And my article that I hadn't even begun writing yet.

"Shit, I have a ton of work to do for the magazine. But, I think I'll be able to handle it." I said, taking off my ballet flats and getting a Coca Cola from the fridge. "I had a good day. Hung out with Zach." I smiled, trying desperately not to blush, but it was impossible. Luckily, if Rae noticed, she was too excited to care. She was an entirely different Rae from the one I knew this morning.

But a vacation seemed to be just what the doctor ordered. I looked forward to taking a swim, doing girly things like shopping and going to the spa with Rae, and hanging out with Zach.

Max and Rae would be hanging out a lot, which meant Zach and I would be hanging out a lot.

And I was oddly excited and anxious about this. Maybe we could walk on the beach, and go to those ferris wheels. Maybe we could share more ice cream.

I got lost daydreaming about it, and quickly shook myself out of it.

I didn't want to get hurt again. And I am sure neither did Zach. So why was I torturing myself? I suddenly wanted Rae and Max out of the apartment, and Zach and I to be alone. Just talking like we did earlier, and kissing, and more kissing, and...

Oh, no. I couldn't let my brain go there. Thank goodness Max and Rae were here.

Max;

I was a little shocked when I saw Mel and Zach together, but hey, at least I didn't need to bring the sign out two times.

Rae gave me a look, and I had a feeling it had to do with Zach and Mel, though I wasn't too sure. But it didn't distract me for long, because the excitement was just too much. I felt like a kid going on his first vacation to Disney World!

This. Was. Going. To. Be. A. BLAST!

I was so looking forward to going to Coney Island, and going to the bar with Zach, and most definitely, spending some alone time with Rae. Coney Island and Rae in a bikini was pure paradise as far as I was concerned.

"THIS IS GONNA BE THE BEST VACATION EVER!!!" I yelled, jumping up and down and pulling them all in a group hug. "WOOHOO!"

The next morning, I was all packed and ready to go. I was so stoked, I could barely sleep! But since Zach and I were driving, I got a few hours of snooze in.

"Rise and shine, kids!" I said, banging on a pot with a mixing spoon.

It must have worked, because a few seconds later, Mel, her hair looking like a bird's nest, came out of her room.

"It's five in the morning," she said, yawning.

"Then ya better get packing! I'm making waffles and pancakes!" I replied.

She rolled her eyes and groaned, but I was pretty sure she was stoked, too.

Rae;

"Make mine Mickey mouse, sweetie!" I chirped, prancing out of our bedroom, dressed, packed, and jubilant for the trip ahead. Usually, I'd kill anyone who'd wake me up at this hour, but road trips called to me, like it was something I should be doing every single day, so this definitely felt long over do. And being that it was the beach we're hearing to, it was now fully appropriate to wear my shortest shorts, flip flops and a bikini top- for me, the less layers on my skin, the better.

"Hey, Da Vinci, wake up!" I exclaimed as I passed Zachary's door. I then smiled to Melanie, "Morning, bed head."

I hurried into the kitchen, and proceeded to fling my arms around Max, giggling as I kissed him all over. He was so adorable when he got excited like this. "I got that cinnamon flavored syrup you love! And there's powdered sugar in the cuboard ...I'll make breakfast smoothies! Ugh, we need to start driving soon to beat traffic..."

Zachary;

Her fingers were light as a feather, soothing against my skin, satisfying an ache for attention I'd refused to admit I'd been deprived of. Lips soft, warm, and supple- urgent, but gentle, like they held the same hesitancy that I did. Her eyes, so vivid, so amiable, and that sweet, feminine aroma...

For my lungs sake, I drew back, inhaling deeply, filling myself with her existence. I opened my eyes, mirroring fondness, expecting to see what I'd been imagining...

Melanie.

...But instead, I saw Alice.

Just the briefest flash of those guilty grey-blue eyes caused me to shoot up abruptly, a cold sweat sprinkled across my forehead, collarbone- my heart thudding in unison with a distant, banging pot that I couldn't place. My breathing came haggard at first, but gradually calmed as I realized where I was- safe in my bedroom, cast in a hazy, blue morning glow, curtains drawn, alarm clock blaring a little past five in the morning, that familiar scent of charcoal filling my nose as I remembered I'd fallen asleep sketching last night.

I wiped my forehead with the back if my hand, jerking again underneath my comforter as a melodic voice sounded off outside my door.

"Hey, Da Vinci, wake up!"

"You've got to be kidding me," I growled, flinging my comforter off and trudging over to the door. Upon opening it, I was hit heavily with the aroma of batter on a skillet, and Victoria's Secret 'Sexy' perfume, undoubtedly Rae's. They didn't seem to be what I wanted to inhale.

"It's too early for this," I sighed, but leaned against the doorway anyways, my gaze following forward until I saw Melanie. "Morning, sunshine. Looks like you weren't done sleeping, either."

Well, I wasn't sleeping. I was dreaming about you. And my scummy ex. But I'll keep that to myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back