• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom So Ya Want to be a Master?

Kyle raised a curious eyebrow at that suggestion.

"Why would you need to memorize what I like to order at restaurants? I know if we are travelling together that we should get to know each other more but do you really think that's necessary?"

He chuckles nervously at her.

"If that's the case I'll have to make a mental note that you like strawberry shakes."

"Oh I like to keep track of what I find out about people. Makes it easier to understand their stories. Besides, I didn't tell you? Fact memorization is part of what I do for a living!"

She laughs. "You don't need to remember mine unless you want. I'll take the corn dogs, please!"

"I'll have the same as her and an apple pie for us to share please."

He smiled up at the waitress before the woman left to start preparing their drinks and putting in the order for the food. The husband could be seen moving around as well behind the counter starting to cook the food. Kyle turned back to Charlie with a content smile, knowing his stomach was about to be full.

"So part of your job is fact memorization? What kind of job do yo do if yo don't mind me asking?"

"Oh, right! I'm actually a research librarian. Part of why I travel is to gain more information about regions and share it across several databases. Since sometimes I can't write things down immediately, such as the time I visited Team Flare's HQ, I've worked to make sure my memory is solid, especially regarding new experiences. You could say I'm a walking encyclopedia."

She turns her attention to the window. "It looks like it might rain...odd. It was gorgeous out earlier."

"The only problem with encyclopedias is that all the information is usually split up into a set of books. No one book has all of the information," he states, chuckling after attempting to sound so intelligent.

Looking out the window to confirm what she said about the weather he sighed.

"Hope it holds off for the competition. We don't have anywhere big enough to move the event indoors."

"It's true. I have a lot to learn, myself. Still, that's what makes the job fun, in all honesty!"

She nods. "I know some Pokemon can influence the weather. Think one of your youngsters has a Pokemon using Rain Dance? If not, maybe at least one of them knows Sunny Day!"

"I wasn't trying to imply that you're lacking or stupid or anything like that Charlie!" he replied emphatically. "I wouldn't insult you like that."

He thought about her question, trying his best to remember the pokemon that each of the kids had.

"Maybe one of the more experienced trainers that will be competing might but as for the young ones that we were tutoring earlier I greatly doubt it."

"You needn't worry about insulting me, Kyle. I'm not too insecure about my brains, but I am smart enough to know I still have much to learn. Still...who would try to rain on the tournament if not one of the competitors? And in case you want to ask, Cynthia doesn't know the move."

She takes a bite.

"This is good stuff! I see why you like it here."

Taking a bite of his food once it arrived he listened to her as she enjoyed her food as well. As soon as he finished the corn dogs he turned to the apple pie which was already sliced. He took out a slice for himself and put it onto his plate before doing the same for her.

"So what you're implying is that one of the competitors is affecting the weather in a negative way intentionally because they don't think they can win legitimately?"

He smiled at her compliment to the couple.

"Oh, thanks," she smiles, taking the plate. "I don't know about all that...it doesn't seem like there would be a benefit to cheating here. If someone were trying to disrupt the tournament, they'd need to have a different agenda."

By now a few drops have begun to fall, though lightly.

"You're welcome," he replied.

Sighing, he finished his slice and waited for her to finish hers. Looking out the window at the rain beginning to fall he thought about what she had said. He got the remainder of the pie put into a box to go and would put it in the fridge at the inn once he got a chance. Once she was finished he stood and paid the bill while picking up his to go bag with sweet supplies for the road.

Stepping outside he could feel the light raindrops hitting him which he didn't really mind as long as it wasn't a torrential downpour. He waited for Charlie to be nearby before he would move on. It was time to get the party started and get the competition underway.

"Alrighty! This should be exciting. Just let me know if I get in the way, yeah? Come on out, Cynthia. You'll love this."

The Vaporeon materializes and glances at the window, then lets out an excited yelp.

"Gently, young lady. It's nice but we don't want it to get more intense. There's a tournament today!"

She then turns to Kyle. "After you!"

Kyle walked over to the arena with Charlie and Cynthia close behind. Handing her the pie he stepped over to center stage and picked up the microphone.

"Welcome everyone to the annual village competition! Everyone is excited to get things underway so lets get this party started! To ensure everything is completely fair each competitor is going to draw a numbered slot and be filled into the battle roster based on that number!"

Holding up the large box with a hand sized hole in the top he stood still as the kids all came up to take a number.

Charlie watches with growing interest as the kids crowd around. Cynthia is already nosing towards a few of them.

"So where do they all after getting their numbers?

"Alright! So now that everyone has their number pay attention to this graph over here!" he announced, pointing to his right, the crowd's left.

One of the helpers had been tracking who got what number as they went along pulling numbers from the box and writing down their names in the corresponding spots on the chart. The board displayed showed who would be facing who.

"Everyone remember the rules? Each contestant gets to use one pokemon so pick your best and strongest! Good luck to everyone! Let's get it started!"

"What do you do while you wait? Or do you?"

Cynthia at this point has walked up to the graph and is actively pawing at it.

"Cynthia! Careful, honey! They only have one of those!"

Walking off the stage he saw Cynthia pawinf and knelt down abour 2 or 3 feet from her with a home-made pokemon treat he had made in his exrended hand.

"The kids all got to say hi but I havent got a chance to meet you personally. Nice to meet you Cynthia." He said to her quietly so as not to startle her.

The Vaporeon regards Kyle quietly, then very slowly approaches, only to sniff the treat and then place her paw on his wrist.

"I know it seems a weird way to express it, but she likes you. She always does that because she thinks you might want to eat it. Only does that with grown up looking folk."

Kyle smiles at Charlie then Cynthia. He gently scratched under her chin briefly before standing up and standing along side Charlie with his arms folded in front of his chest as he watches the kids compete.

Most of the battles were pretty exciting there were a few that the trainers didnt take into consideration about type advantages. Something for him to advise on for the next time.

"This is the party where I write things down. I'm impressed with you. Cynthia isn't always so quick to accept others."

Cynthia signs contentedly and takes a stance between her companions.

"Any rising stars I should pay extra attention to?"

"You'll see..." Kyle replied with a smirk as they watched the battles and Charlie took notes. "There is one kid that seems to have a knack for battling but his ego gets a little too big. Should reveal himself pretty soon."

He quickly smiled down at Cynthia as she took her place between the two of them. His eyes quickly darted back to the battle that was going on. He would need to remember criticisms and encouragements for all of the kids after the tourney was over with.

She kept her notepad at the ready, as Cynthia watched with growing interest. She'd seen her trainer go through this song and dance before, and knew the best thing to do was watch closely. A moment later she noticed the Eevee from earlier preparing to battle.

"I don't suppose the kid against that Eevee is the one to which you refer?"

"You're answer will be apparent whether I say anything or not in a few moments. Just watch," he stated as the match got underway.

The kid's Eevee from earlier tried starting off with a tackle but it was up against a Pidgey. Kyle knew that the kid with the Pidgey had trained his pokemon to try and evolve it. He wasn't there yet it seemed but Kyle predicted he wasn't far off. If that was the case, Eevee was gonna have a hard time at this especially with such an inexperienced trainer. The tackle missed as the Pidgey just took off into the air to dodge.

"Silly kid! Pidgey can fly meaning he has the advantage over your normal type Eevee! Bet you didn't even know that! You're about to find out real quick why you were unlucky to get matched up against me! Pidgey! Use quick attack!"

At its trainer's last words the Pidgey swooped with incredible speed straight for the little Eevee. Before the kid could even yell to dodge the Pidgey connected, sending the small critter back almost to its trainer's feet. About to fade into unconsciousness the Eevee barely managed to lift its head to see the expression on its young trainer's face just to see if the trainer was disappointed in it. All it wanted was to perform well and make its trainer proud after all.

"Eevee is unable to battle! Pidgey wins!"

Cynthia visibly winces at the battle's end, and lets out a short growl.

"Oh, my. That was interesting...I feel bad for the little fella. I bet Cynthia agrees."

The Vaporeon looks a little irate, as a matter of fact, but remains still, as if waiting for Charlie.

"Hey, I know, I know - but this isn't our battle, honey. This is a competition, and nobody broke any rules. We're here to observe, alright? Say, Kyle, what types most often win at this competition?"

"Well since it isn't a type competition or anything as organized as a league tourney we just let whoever signs up compete. Even if an older kid gets paired up against one of the youngsters its usually good experience for pokemon and trainer alike. Learn more from losing than you do from always winning right? The pokemon get healed up by a M.I.C.U. from the pokemon center in the next town. There's Nurse Joy now."

The pink haired nurse rushed over the young boy and gently scooped up the small Eevee, cradling its head and body in her arms before rushing it to the back of what looked like an oversized ambulance and disappearing for minutes inside the vehicle. Upon her emergence from the unit she led the little boy inside to visit with his Eevee. Kyle rushed over to determine the fate of the little one.

"Nurse. Is Eevee going to be alright? It did take a hard hit after all."

Nurse Joy smiled at Kyle.

"How many times have I warned you that there should be more safety measures in this competition? It's simply not fair to these kids or their pokemon to be competing against kids that are already about to begin their journey or even worse have already been on their journey while these kids have no experience other than playing with their pokemon around the village."

Kyle smiled nervously as the Nurse ranted.

"You've made your feelings about the competition perfectly clearn before Nurse but that doesn't answer my question. Will Eevee be alright?"

Huffing she folded her arms in front of her chest and turned away from him before answering.

"The little Eevee will be fine provided it gets enough rest and doesn't battle anything else for a while."

Kyle sighed out of relief before smiling back at Charlie with a thumbs up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back