• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom So Ya Want to be a Master?

"I would like to think so," he replied to her first question. "Sounds like an idea to me."

He watches Cynthia as they walk along and chuckles at her excitement especially when she manages to catch a Magikarp.

"Cynthia the vicious hunter has finally caught her prey! Good job Cynthia."

At Charlie's hesitancy to release the creature back into the water he approaches to get a closer look. Sure enough the creature is unique with shiny golden scales instead of the usual orange.

"I think I read something about this last time I was on the road. There was a recent discovery by one of the famous professors. Something about unique pokemon like this. I believe they were called Shiny Pokémon."

"Oh, wow!" Charlie exclaims. "The statistical probability of meeting a shiny Pokemon is somewhere around 5000 to 1 - but to see a Magikarp that survived its surroundings despite being as brightly colored as this -- it's a near impossibility! What are the chances?"

Cynthia holds her head high, as if to say "You're welcome."

Charlie laughs. "You did good, sweetie. I almost want to take this goofball to the library with me. What do you think, Kyle? I won't be intruding on anyone's space, will I?"

"You're more than welcome to it Charlie. It was Cynthia that found it after all," he replied. "Finders keepers."

He gave her a quick smile as he backed away to let her throw a pokeball at it.

"Do you wanna study it more or are you more excited for when it evolves and becomes a shiny Gyarados?"

Kneeling down he pet Cynthia gently.

"Good job Cynthia," he cooed before standing again.

"I'm more interested in the study," she says, tossing a Luxury Ball at the hapless fish. "My guess is that this one is unusually strong for its species - although that's still not much compared to other Pokemon."

Cynthia is appreciative of Kyle's attention, and tosses her crowned head to signal as such before dashing back into the grass. As the ball clicks Charlie kneels to pick it up, but a sudden tremor tosses her off balance and into the water. A moment later she comes up sputtering, looking thoroughly sheepish.

"Someone's using Earthquake. I won't lie, I never liked that move," she says. "At least I held onto the Magikarp."

Cynthia notices her trainer and leaves the grass, splashing around her in an effort, it seems, to verify that she's okay.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Just a little wet. Thanks for caring, Cynthia. I just gotta dry off real quick."

"Higher stats aren't really that helpful when it comes to Magikarp. After all the only move they know is Splash which does nothing but get ya wet," he stated until he saw her fall into the water.

He rushed over to the shore and helped her back up onto the land. Setting down his backpack he pulled out a towel for her to dry off the bulk of the water. Then he pointed a pokeball at the ground in front of her.

"Guess you can meet another friend of mine. He's real useful in situations like these. Helps that he's cute. Go Charmander. Use your tail fire to warm up Charlie."

Popping out of its pokeball with a smile on its face appeared Kyle's Charmander. He was an adorable little thing. Like a red lizard with a flame on the tip of its tail. He extended his claw to Charlie saying his name before giving her a smile so big that his eyes were closed. He was introducing himself and greeting the new person. This was his first time getting to interact with her after all.

"He loves meeting new people. Always wants a handshake when he does."

"Oh...thank you. How charming!" she says, returning the flaming lizard's handshake. For a moment she pauses, then laughs. "Whaddaya know, Kyle. Your Charmander is charming Charlie!"

She laughs at her own pun for a solid two minutes, before calming down to a quiet chuckle. "Oh, please excuse me -- I really ought to be more restrained in my emoting!"

Cynthia is also interested in the fire-type, and gives it a questioning yap, looking askance at her almost over-amused trainer.

"I hope you'll forgive her. She's usually much more sensible."

Kyle chuckles as her pun as well as at how hilarious she finds it. This is what he missed while on the road, social interaction with other humans that didn't want to take his money for doing so.

"No need to apologize Charlie. Sharing some genuine time with you and Cynthia instead of being by my lonesome with my pokemon as usual is one of the reasons I proposed the idea of us travelling together."

Charmander speaks back to Cynthia in response to her yap. It would be interesting to see if he would like her or not since fire types like him were weak against water types.

At this point in the afternoon the sun was beginning to lower in the sky. It wasn't setting yet but one could tell that it was at least dinner time. They had travelled only a bit away from the village to the point that they hadn't made it to the next town yet.

"If we make it to the next town before nightfall I'll be more than happy to get us something to eat. Preferably find a place to either camp or stay that is pokemon friendly with lots of room. Let our friends out to stretch a bit."

"Sounds marvelous," she nods. "I think I'll pick up the tab this time, though. I appreciate your patience with my quirks."

The path is smooth for quite some time, and there's not much to see, aside from a few baby Pokemon that scramble across the road once or twice and a trainer taking their Arcanine for a walk. Before long, a Pokemon Center can be seen, at which Cynthia's eyes light up.

"How about there? Those places almost always have good food. Besides, it'll be a good place to crash for the evening, and I know from experience they'll have plenty of room for your crew."

As she speaks, Cynthia lets out a whopper of a yawn and nuzzles Kyle's leg.

"Well, what do you know. Haven't seen her do that to anyone else in...well...ever! She must really like you."

"I appreciate your appreciation," he replied as they began to make their way towards the next town.

Smiling as he sees the Pokémon Center rear its head over the horizon he stops when he feels Cynthia nuzzle up against his leg. Kneeling to pet her he looks up at Charlie.

"Sounds like a plan to me. And it seems like Cynthia is going to be happy to be done travelling for the day. She did a lot of exploring and chasing today after all. Think you can make it Cynthia? Or would you rather I carry you?"

Looking back down at Cynthia he smiles as he talks to her like a person before turning back to Charlie to respond to her comment on Cynthia's behavior.

"I probably just smell like my pokemon. The smaller ones sleep in my bed with me after all. That little tidbit probably helps."

Cynthia grins, but keeps walking with her head high.

"She could probably go for a break, to be sure, but I doubt she'll let you carry her. She won't even let me do that, unfortunately. I think she must have been mishandled by her last trainer."

Charlie frowns. "That's probably my pet peeve - trainers who let a misunderstanding of their Pokemon translate into mistreating them. I suppose if I slept near my Pokemon I might smell like freshwater, but Cynthia usually sleeps at the foot of the bed for me when she's not in the ball."

As the center gets closer, she points. "Say, any idea what those guys are up to?"

Two folks in unusual costumes seem to be looking into the Center's windows. As Kyle and Charlie approach, they look uncertain, as if debating whether to leave.

Kyle sees the two that Charlie points out. Turning to Cynthia he smiles at the Vaporeon.

"I'm gonna try something little friend. You got my back if they try anything?"

Yipping cheerfully before he turns towards the two suspicious figures Cynthia readies herself incase either of them seem to make a move against Kyle. The Charmander that was following to keep Charlie warm until she dried out ran forward and stood alongside Cynthia with an aggressive "Char" as it glared at the two strangers.

"If you're not going to be using the center's services I would suggest you leave.....now. I sure would hope you didn't have any plans of hurting anyone and/or stealing any pokemon from this place? If so I'm afraid you wouldn't make it away unscathed."

"What's it to you, kiddo?" asks the smaller one of the group, stepping forward. "You planning on giving us trouble?"

"As a matter of fact," replies Charlie with a smirk. "We're ready to make it double if you jokers don't back down. Cynthia, you feeling ready? It's been a while since we had a good fight."

"Don't we know you?" asks the taller one. "Pretty sure we've seen you before, pal."

At this, Charlie balks. "If so, I don't recall you. Now why don't you beat it?"

"Well, aren't you the big talker," sneers the shorter one. "If you are what I think, you'll fail on the first move."

"Alright, that does it." Charlie says, her fists tightening. "Cynthia, give these punks a Hydro Pump!"

As soon as the water hit the two they were sent flying back into the wall of the building. Luckily this pokemon center was made of solid stone work so they didn't have to worry about collapsing the wall.

"Charmander watch our six," he shouted as he charged forward just as the two were going to try and regain their footing.

Kicking the first one in the ribs the one creeper got knocked back into the wall of the building again, falling unconscious. Turning to the other one Kyle glared and picked them up by the scruff of their shirt, holding this one against the wall.

"Are you with Team Rocket?? If so we got a few questions for you and your friend buddy."

The guy smirks at Kyle. "Why not ask your friend, there? I bet she has all kinds of inside info. Isn't that right, Starlight?"

Cynthia snarls, at this word, tackling the guy to the ground and knocking him loose from Kyle's grasp. A moment later she's standing over him growling furiously. A look over the field shows Charlie has vanished at the same time.

"Get this crazy thing off me!" the Grunt yells, thoroughly in over his head.

"I'll take that as a yes to my question," Kyle retorted before Cynthia took the guy out of his grasp.

He stood there startled at what was happening in front of him. Now that he had time to calm down he realized he had been worried that Cynthia might think that he had gone too far but she looked as if she was about to go crazy on this guy.

"Cynthia? Calm down girl. Good girl. You're better than him. Don't stoop to his level."

Looking around for Charlie to calm down Cynthia. She was her companion after all. He is stunned to find that Charlie has disappeared.

"Charlie? Where are you??"

Kyle looks around frantically a few moments more before turning back to the grunt, picking Cynthia up by the scruff of her neck like a mother cat would and pulled her off of the grunt before revealing his secret to both the grunt and Cynthia as well as anyone who was lucky enough to catch a glimpse. The years he had spent training with his pokemon had done for him just as much as it did for his pokemon. His strength, speed, and durability were all increased to the peak of what a human was capable of. He was most certainly still human but he simply hits harder and moves faster than the average person. He revealed this by picking up the grunt single handedly until the grunt's face was at his eye level.

"What have you done to Charlie?" he growled out, punctuating each word.

The Vaporeon protests loudly at being picked up in this fashion, but after thrashing for about seven seconds she realizes she's wasting time and just holding still, watching wide-eyed as her captor also grabs the grunt.

"Hey-- hey man, calm down. I didn't do anything. I just knew the word...everyone in Team Rocket does. Now let me go -- your stupid companion is right behind you, after all!"

A glance behind you reveals a Gardevoir, watching you closely. She motions downward with her arm, then scratches her head.

"Not my fault you got yourself involved with that freak! Now leave me be!"

"It's okay, Kyle. He's too scared out of his wits to do any mischief now. We should let him go."

"You expect me to believe that that Gardevoir is a human?" he growls until he sees the pokemon signaling for him to put the guy down.

Setting the guy down he watched him closely to ensure he wasn't going to get sucker punched.

"Take your companion with you and don't let me see you again," he yelled after them before turning to the Gardevoir.

Looking slightly downward at the Gardevoir he looks around before making eye contact with it again. He wondered where the voice had come from as he checked the scenery for any sign of his travelling buddy.

"You wouldn't by chance have seen a young woman around here have you? Answers to the name of Charlie? Kinda cute. Friends with this Vaporeon?"

In reply the Pokemon takes a half-step forward and puts an arm in front of itself, as if flourishing to take a bow.

"I don't know if you still think me cute, but at least now you know my secret. I suppose it is rather confusing, so I'll try to explain quickly."

Gardevoir used Psychic! Suddenly a stream of images runs through Kyle's mind at blazing speed.

Pretending to join Team Rocket so as to research it as an investigator.
Finding Cynthia, then an Eevee, in one of their labs, terribly afraid.
Making a false step and being discovered, then captured.
Being dragged into one of the labs...being experimented on...being brainwashed.
Starlight...starlight...starlight...

As quickly as they started, they stop. A look up shows the Gardevoir standing still, as if awaiting some kind of orders.

"In this form I'm much stronger, but my willpower is also severely weakened. I always used to hide when this happened, because this technically makes me a wild Pokemon, and I know the lore about Gardevoir well enough to know I'd be a prize catch, at least for some...especially as a shiny variant of this species. Team Rocket specifically designed me as an attack drone, with the idea of programming me with...well...I don't claim to understand the full thing. Cynthia...and now you, are the only souls outside the team who know. You could say I'm a pretty expensive investment."

The Pokemon chuckles, then looks a little sad. "I don't know how to go back to human. It always happens on its own...but maybe by traveling with you I can learn more...and stay safer. So...until I'm human again, how about you be my trainer? Here..."

She walks up and places a chain with a stone attached around Kyle's neck. "What are the chances you'd meet two shiny Pokemon in a day, right? Anyways, Cynthia and I have an understanding -- so don't worry. She'll listen to both of us now."

Kyle stares slack-jawed until the images start flashing through his head. Stumbling backwards he falls onto his butt on the ground. Once the images cease he just stares blinking at the Gardevoir in front of him. Snapping himself back to reality he smiles and steps in front of Charlievoir. Patting her head he gives her a mischievious grin.

"Yes I think you're still cute Charlievoir," he tells her as he stares down from her to the necklace. "That's fine by me and I can understand you keeping such a secret Charlie. Must be awefully painful memories for you. But this just makes our bond even stronger cause now we know each other's secrets. I'm slightly better than the average human and you well, you're part pokemon."

Standing again he smiles down at her.

"I promise not to cram you into a pokeball," he chuckled. "Let's head inside now so we can get some food and let our companions rest."

"If for whatever reason the situation requires it, I give you permission to, as you put it 'cram me into a ball.' I hear they're quite comfortable, at least...that's what Cynthia says. At any rate, it looks like we'll be staying here tonight under slightly different circumstances."

Upon entering the Pokemon center the whole room seems to notice Kyle and his companion.

"Wow...look at that guy!"
"He must be an impressive trainer...what with that Vaporeon and Gardevoir just walking alongside him."
"And talk about a confident stride! She must really believe in her trainer."
"You ever wonder how much of human speak psychic types like her understand?"

"You know...I think they just assume all Gardevoir are female. They're not wrong in this case, but...I dunno, maybe it's the dress."

"Good evening, sir," says Nurse Joy with a grin. "How can I help you tonight?"

"Thank you, by the way." You can hear her speaking in your head again. "I know this must be a real shock, but your kindness is unmatched. I cannot thank you enough for looking out for me. Also...you look much taller now. I imagine I've shrunk a bit. Just wait until I mega-evolve, though."

At this she lets out a sound that might be a giggle.

"I've never battled in this form, but I'll bet I'm strong!"

Upon entering Kyle quickly scans the room before approaching Nurse Joy who greets them. Upon hearing all of the whispering and mutters amongst the other people there he chooses to ignore it and turn to Gardevoir with a smile on his face. Speaking in his head he hopes she hears what he thinks to say so that he doesn't have to move his lips.

"You're welcome Charlievoir. Don't give them any attention either. You are a little shorter in this form but not much," he thought as he let out a chuckle out loud. "I'm sure you'll be very strong."

Patting her on the head, he spun back around to Nurse Joy.

"Sorry for the wait but do you have any place for us to crash for the night? And any food for our pokemon?"

"Sure! There's a suite upstairs you can use. I'll have Chansey bring you a little something. Party of...seven? Sorry, I'm never sure how many Pokemon a trainer has unless they ask me to heal them."

"I know THAT was meant for me but do you always want me reading your mind like this? I don't want to...ya know...invade your privacy."

Before you have a second to reply Nurse Joy adds, "How long has she been with you? It's clear you take very good care of her."

"Huh. And I thought she was a medical professional."

"Here's your key. Please be sure to clear the room by 10 am tomorrow so we can clean it for another guest, alright?"

"That would be great only I have a total of eight pokemon here with me. Some of them are larger. Will the suite be able to accommodate them as well? I like to let them stretch their legs a little each night."

Smiling towars Nurse Joy he glances back at Charlievoir.

"Actually we just met on the road not very long ago at all and we just cliqued. I do usually feed her food of my own making so that I can ensure the healthiest diet possible."

Accepting the key from Nurse Joy he nodded at the warning before ushering her and Cynthia further inside so they could go to their room and speak freely.

"I don't mind you reading my mind too much but I think for both our sakes you might want to stay out for the most part. I am a teenage man after all," he whispered to Charlievoir as he walked along with her towards the suite.

"Oh, you'll have space. Just make sure the place is cleaned up, alright?"

She looks curiously at the Gardevoir. "Well, you must get along nicely. I can tell by looking this one is highly intelligent, and, like most of its kind, loyal to a fault. If you've managed to earn her respect, she'll bend nature before letting you get hurt."

Charlie looks a little surprised at the remark, then blushes slightly. "Anyways," continues the medical professional, "thank you, and rest well!"

As the group heads upstairs Charlie smirks. "I think that nurse is a bit flighty. You didn't tell me you made your own Pokemon food, though. It's funny -- knowing what it tastes like to a Pokemon would be amazing for research...but no one would ever believe me."

She does a double take at the last comment Kyle makes. "What, exactly, is that supposed to mean?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back