• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom So Ya Want to be a Master?

GreatSaiyaman31

Arch-Angel
It was a rainy day as he traversed his way down the path heading towards his home village. He explored the tall grass a little bit just to see if the rain would attract some different types of pokemon from appearing. All he seemed to find though were weak Rattata and Pidgey all over the place. He decided to give up searching and finish making his way to his home.

He made it into the village as it grew dark. Unlocking his door and slipping inside he let out his pokemon so they could relax and stretch a little bit. He set his bag and equipment down inside the door and locked it.

"I'm going to head upstairs and take a shower guys. Make sure you get plenty of rest tonight. Tomorrow the kids will be pulling out all of the stops they can muster to beat us. We need to be ready for anything."

His pokemon responded with excitement in their voices as he turned and made his way upstairs.

This place was an old inn that his family ran before his parents passed away. Now he just used it as a place to stay whenever he returned home. He started the water and gave it a bit to warm up since it hadn't been run in so long. He got his change of clothes ready while he waited before hopping into the water.

"Now this feels nice," he commented to himself as he let the warm water hit him. "Definitely miss this when I'm on the road."

Once he finished bathing he got dried off and dressed before coming out into the bedroom to see his pokemon had already picked their spots to sleep. He smiled as he crawled into bed and stared up at the ceiling for a few minutes before he turned onto his side and slowly fell asleep.

"Well, this is the right town. I better find a place to hunker down though -- doesn't look like the woods or weather are too encouraging."

The traveler chuckled for a moment.

"I sometimes wonder just how well you hear me in there. I'll let you out shortly, okay? Just gotta find a spot. Hm...that looks promising."

It seemed a quaint place, though a little on the dark side.

"Wonder if they're closed...but I guess it couldn't hurt to knock, right, Cynthia?"

*knock, knock* "Anyone home? I'd appreciate a roof if you have the space! Got the money too, if that helps!"

Brought awake by one of his pokemon trying to alert him that someone was at the door, he got up quickly and made his way to the door. Unlocking it he opened the door to see a girl that appeared to be a trainer from the pokeballs at her waist.

"Sorry if I kept you waiting," he stated with a yawn. "Come on in. I'll get a room ready for you."

He slowly headed upstairs and picked a room at random., He rapidly pounded the dust off of the bed, swept the dust off of the end table next to the bed and dresser across from the foot of the bed with a towel he pulled from the bathroom. As soon as he finished he yawned before returning downstairs to her.

"Sorry for the appearance of the place. I just returned from the road myself. Haven't really had time to polish her all up. Now, how long would you like to stay?"

"It's no big deal. I wasn't looking for anything fancy, just functional. I'm actually in the area to help out with some sort of competition that's going on. Do you know anything about it? My Vaporeon, Cynthia, and I, haven't been to this region before, so everything is new. It's a nice place, from what we see - though a little wet for my tastes. She doesn't mind though. C'mon, Cynthia. You've been cooped up long enough."

It's a Net Ball the trainer tosses, and a moment later the water-type appears. Cynthia regards the room, then the other trainer, then settles down right where she landed.

"Oh, you goof. I'm the one who walked all day, so what are you acting all tired for?"

At the latter question, the visitor nods. "Just as long as the competition, after which I'll be heading back home, I think. How much will I owe you?"

"I do know of the competition. Winner gets to take me on at the end of it. I'm the organizer and founder of it."

He smiled at her pokemon's antics before returning his gaze to her.

"Feel free to let all of your pokemon loose. Mine are around here somewhere. Knowing them probably still asleep upstairs in my room except for my Venusaur. It would be a little cramped in here for him. He's probably asleep out back. Likes to guard the back door but always falls asleep doing so."

He headed to the foot of the stairs and waved her on.

"I'll show you to your room Miss? I'm sorry I forgot to introduce myself and get your name. My name is Kyle Andromeda, 15, Sagittarius, and I'm the humble owner of this inn. In all honesty I make enough money on the road to keep this place up so feel free to keep your money. So long as you don't destroy the place completely your rent for your stay is free."

"Oh! I didn't realize you were so proficient. Fifteen and already starting a tournament? Sounds like you have dreams of being a Gym Leader."

A chuckle.

"Cynthia is actually the only Pokemon with me. I guess I haven't spent much time looking for more - after she evolved I was more interested in helping her strengthen up. She had a rough time of it before we met, so I figure it's best to give her space until she seems ready to have others in the crew."

The visitor pauses. "If you're not going to charge me, the lobby works just fine. Frankly, I prefer chairs anyways. Oh, and call me Charlie, but I don't know much about that other stuff you said. Thank you for the hospitality!"

He gave her a slight bow, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"I apologize for assuming that you had others," he stated, sitting on the bottom stair. "I actually got the idea back when I was 13. That was the first time we decided to hold the competition."

He gave her a saddened smile as the memories of that day passed before his eyes.

"But the competition isn't even my favorite part honestly. The kids all get so excited to just see me and to learn new things that I learned on my journey about pokemon that I find myself getting excited just for the opportunity to teach them something new."

Snapping himself out of it he gave her a regular smile and stood.

"I would rather you take advantage of the hospitality while you are here and pick a bed upstairs. They don't have that many soft, comfortable places to sleep while on the road."

"Oh, no worries! Most folks do have more. But I trust Cynthia to get me through most battles. But enough about me. You look like you need rest! I don't suppose you'd mind me coming along tomorrow to see just what kind of competition you have? It sounds like fun. Maybe I can help, but I don't want to sound pushy. Totally your call!"

Your visitor looks concerned for a moment.

"...You alright?"

Standing with a sigh he gave her a smile again that probably wasn't all that convincing.

"I can assure you that I'm alright. Just some negative memories passing by. I can tell you more about the first competition in the morning if you like but I simply would be failing in my duties as inn keeper if I didn't insist you pick a bed rather than fall asleep down here in the café/lobby area. Cynthia is more than welcome to join you in your room of course."

He waved her to the stairs.

"If you would follow me please?"

"Well, if you insist. Lead the way, but I'd love to hear the stories tomorrow."

The visitor follows your motion.

"Come, Cynthia. Time to hunker down for the night. Tomorrow should be exciting, I have a feeling!"

Leading her upstairs he opens the door to the first room on the right of the hall from the top of the stairs.

"Each room has its own on suite. So feel free to make yourself at home, get a relaxing bath in or what have you," he explained as he stood in the doorway. "I will not keep you awake by prattling on but please let me know if you have any issues whatsoever with any of the facilities here. My room is at the end of the hall. Just knock and I'll help in any way I can. As for tomorrow breakfast is included with your stay and will be ready around 7. At 8 I'll be going out into the village to meet and greet with the kids. Good night Miss Charlie and to you as well of course Cynthia."

With the farewell he closed the door and made his way back to his room, crawling back into his bed amongst his pokemon and falling asleep.

"Well, he seems a pleasant fellow, hm? Alright, Cynthia, make yourself comfy. That's my plan. Huh...this place smells really nice. I wonder if that has anything to do with the age of the building."

A large yawn is followed by a contented chuckle.

"Time to call it a night. Whew...free lodging and food. Sounds like a college student's dream! I'll have to make it up to him tomorrow somehow."

*time passes*

The next morning Kyle awoke early and got dressed. Returning his pokemon to their pokeballs he clipped on his belt and made his way downstairs to the café. He quickly started heating up a pan where he cooked scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and pancakes for himself and his guest. He would need his strength today with as fervorish as the kids would be once they saw him walking about outside.

Once the food was finished cooking he turned the stove off and let the food sit in the large pan so that it wouldn't get cold. He looked at his watch to see that it was already 0705. He didn't want to be rude and try to rush her but she had told him that she would like to hear his story and he had informed her of the time for the meal and how busy he would be for the rest of the day.

Approaching the base of the steps he called up to her.

"Miss Charlie? Are you awake yet? Cynthia? Breakfast is ready!"

He poured out a warm bowl of his homemade pokemon food for Cynthia as he waited for the two of them to join him downstairs.

The sun peering through the window brought the visitor to a quick awakening.

"Uh, oh, I just about overslept. Five minutes late already? Ugh...this is no way to make an impression!"

From upstairs a shout can be heard: "So sorry! I'll be down in two minutes! Cynthia will be down even sooner!"

True to her trainer's word, Cynthia comes downstairs and immediately targets the bowl. She does, however, give a grateful nod to the human who set it out for her. Two minutes later, Charlie followed, looking a little flustered.

"I promise I don't always make folks wait on me. Truly sorry about that. Wow...this is a beautiful setup! Um, it occurs to me, you probably don't have much time to talk. So maybe tell me more after the competition? I would still like to come along, if it's not a trouble. I promise I'll be on time this go around. Oh, and by the way, you don't need to call me miss. 'Charlie' is just fine." She smiles.

He smiles as Cynthia nods at him before eating and then as Charlie comes rushing downstairs.

"Calm down. It's only five minutes. The story isn't that long and it won't take me that long to eat," he stated with a chuckle. "I didn't know what you liked so I basically made a bunch of different things."

He went over to the stove and scoops the food into even shares on two plates and brought them over to the same table. He poured two cups of orange juice and set them onto the table as well before sitting down at the table to eat.

"This is really a wonderful spread. Thank you very much. So... did you sleep okay? Thought I heard something shuffling around last night."

The visitor takes a bite and her eyes light up.

"Goodness...you sure you're not training to be a chef? This is really good stuff!"

Chuckling at her praise and concern he smiles across the table at her as he chews and swallows a mouthful of food.

"I slept rather well last night. As for the food a local family has a small farm just outside of the village that keeps me stocked with fresh supplies."

He finished off his sausage and bacon next before speaking again.

"So as for the story I promised. We still have time if you still would like to hear it?"

"Wow. Locally sourced cuisine cook competition runner, and innkeeper. Anything you don't do? Oh but yes, please -- I'm all ears!

A few bites are punctuated with an expectant smile.

"Well like I said I was 13 when I decided to hold the first competition here in the village. My parents were so proud and anxious as they came to watch the event get underway. Back then I only had my Bulbasaur that was my companion who started with me. I had trained him up a little bit and the younger children of the village always loved putting their pet pokemon up against him. We made it to the final without a hitch. The winner of the competition was about to face me when a group from Team Rocket showed up."

His story was punctuated with pauses as he continued to eat his food and making sure that he wasn't talking with his mouth full.

"They released a bunch of pokemon themselves that began attacking the area trying to scare everyone off so they could just kidnap everyone's pokemon. Me and the champ stood our ground to try and fight them off but poor Bulby and the child who won were outnumbered. We were both quickly overwhelmed and just as it seemed that we were about to be finished off by the Team Rocket pokemon my parents rushed in taking the attacks themselves and ultimately passing away en route to the hospital. Downside of living in a rural area I guess."

He gave her a sad smile as he finished chewing some more of the food, almost finished with his meal.

"Before the dust could settle from the attack I returned Bulby to his pokeball and ran off into the woods. Team Rocket packed up all the pokemon they gathered and returned to their headquarters I guess. Once the coast was clear I returned and found my parents right where they had been left. I called for emergency services but there was nothing more they could've done. I inherited my parents' inn and vowed that day after ALOT of crying and sulking that I would honor their sacrifice by ensuring it wasn't in vain. I would train up my pokemon and become the best pokemon trainer in the region. I would continue to host the competition as a sign that we weren't going to let Team Rocket win and rule us with fear. I continue to run the inn for them whenever I'm here."

He stood after finishing his meal and gathered their plates and utensils and glasses once she was finished and placed them in the sink.

"The kids here now are too young to remember the terror of that day. Their older siblings that are off being pokemon trainers however well they don't come back that often. Guess I'm like a surrogate big brother to all of them and a decent distraction while I'm here. I try to come back more than once a year but sometimes I get engrossed in chasing down leads on Team Rocket's hideout."

Your visitor is engrossed in the narrative, but her expression saddens as it continues.

"I'm very sorry for your loss."

She opens her mouth, but thinks better of saying anything else on the matter, instead watching his actions. A moment passes before she gathers courage to speak up again.

"So you look for Team Rocket in your free time? Sounds risky. But...I can understand wanting to stop them."

He turned back and smiled at her as he washed the things that were used for their breakfast.

"I appreciate it Charlie. As for the risk I'm a lot stronger than I was then. Both my pokemon and I have trained hard. My Bulbasaur is now a Venusaur and I have an entire 6 pokemon team that has done well for me. I've already collected 7 of the 8 badges from the Kanto region. According to the rumors I've heard on my travels the last gym leader is suspected of being the Team Rocket boss. I want to make sure I'm ready to decimate whatever he throws at me so between the competition and some personal training here behind the inn I think my team and I will be more than ready to take him on when we go to leave again."

He finished cleaning everything and put them away before returning to her at the table.

"It's almost 8. You ready to head out and meet the kids? I think before we go I should let you know I have an important question to ask you before you leave."

"It's an impressive goal, to be sure. If the rumors are true, you'll certainly have your hands full. Do you think you'll bring about Team Rocket's fall by beating the gym? I hear the group excels at avoiding the law."

The traveler grabs her bag, signaling Cynthia, who at this point is contentedly dozing by an empty bowl, but stirs when she sees her trainer moving.

"I'm ready to run when you are. Oh, but what's the question you wanted to ask me? I can't guarantee I'll know the answer, but I'll do my best to be helpful."

"I don't know whether I'll succeed in bringing about the destruction of Team Rocket but it's worth a shot. I mean if I beat their boss at least they'll know not to screw around with anyone I care about," he replies as he holds the door open for the two of them. "My question was going to be for before you left the village I mean but if you want me to ask now that's alright."

He took a deep breath and made eye contact with her before speaking again.

"My question is would you entertain the notion of having some company along with you and Cynthia when you leave? I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to invite myself on your journey but I figured it might be a nice change of pace to have someone human to talk to as we travel."

"I think that's a worthy goal. My guess is that you'd definitely get the message across if you could beat them!"

She pauses at the second part.

"I don't mind the company at all. I don't usually have folks along, so it'll be a new experience for both of us! I'm actually thinking of leaving the region after this though. Will that be a problem -- or do you perhaps have other suggestions? I'm open to ideas."

Cynthia regards Kyle with curiosity, then her trainer, but is momentarily distracted by tripping over her own tail.

Closing the door behind them all he stops and kneels down in front of Cynthia after she trips.

"You alright little one?" he coos to her, offering his hand palm-up with a poke-treat in it.

"Sounds like it'll be fun. I don't mind at all if you want to leave the region. There are more gyms there I'm certain and other challenges that await. My pokemon could probably use the experience as well I'm sure."

Just as he finishes speaking, Kyle is tackled by a menagerie of children that all start giggling like mad as they latch on to him and he manages to carefully get his feet back under him.

"Hello everyone! Are you all excited about the tournament?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back