• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
Hoyo!

I'm doin' a lil' search for a small group, maybe only 3-4 people, including myself, for an idea about a Pokemon RP.

If you're at all interested please either send me a PM or tag me in your response to this thread here! I'm very active on the site, checking it multiple times daily, so I'll see and reply very soon!

If you have any questions about anything, please also feel free to reach out to me as I love answering questions! It's no bother! So send as many as you like my way!

So, here's the deets!

1) No "mechanics!"

By this I simply mean we won't be calculating anything. No EXP to worry about. No EV/IV's to worry about. No "accuracy" to worry about. Nothing that requires calculations of any kind or that usually relies on number crunching in the games is going to be part of this experience.

It will be a purely organic and semi-realistic adventure.

2) Semi-realism!

For the purposes of this RP it means we're suspending our disbelief regarding "type" advantages and other elements which usually fall outside of the realm of physics/reality. I mean, let's face it. Pokemon are animals. And no matter their element of attacking the fact is that biological creatures don't have inherent "weaknesses" to one thing while being resistant to others, while others have the exact opposite. That's just not how nature works. A rat is a rat is a rat. Pikachu shouldn't be anymore weak to an Earthquake that simply splits the ground beneath its feet than a human being would be. Thrown off balance? Yes. KO'd because "type advantage?" Nah.

However, for the sake of maintaining the integrity of what makes Pokemon, well... Pokemon, we'll respect type advantages and disadvantages and not worry about any "science" behind it, or trying to explain why some Pokemon like Magnemite can seemingly levitate/fly without a power source of any kind. You could try to use physics to explain how it can create opposing magnetic fields against the ground to push itself up constantly. But that's too much brain power for me.

I'm lazy. I like things simple.

So, semi-realism is the order of the day with this RP. Pokemon elements like typings and Pokemon that can float/fly without any physical or mechanical leverage or advantage are just going to be accepted as the way things are.

3) Realism!

There will be some realism at play here. Namely, human mortality and societal laws.

Let's be real. Not a single civilization on Earth would ever say it's okay for children as young as 10 years of age to go out into the world, unsupervised, with only a brand new and novice-level Pokemon at their side for protection. That's ludicrous.

For the sake of realism for society, minimum age for all characters is going to be the age of adulthood (by American standards), which is to say 18.

Also, human mortality. Pokemon attacks are dangerous. And this isn't a comedy anime for children. If you're struck by a Pokemon attack, you're gonna get hurt. If it's big enough and dangerous enough, you'll be hospitalized and/or killed.

So don't get in the way of Pokemon attacks.

Simple enough, right?

4) Limitations and Rules!

Limitations first! Cause, let's face it, we need to cover them!

Legendaries are 'Encounter Only.' Period. End of story. Nobody will be allowed to capture a Legendary under any circumstances. Not even me as the all-powerful GM!... Okay, maybe "all-powerful" is stretching it. But you get what I mean.

Reason being is because they're supposed to be "Legendary." And Legendary beings are both stupidly rare, for one, and two they are (or should be) too powerful to capture through conventional means. And no, I will not entertain any "nonconventional" methods for doing so. You don't get Legendaries. Period. We can and will get to see them at some point or another. And we might get to interact with them for a very, very brief period. But that's it.

Mythicals are 'Encounter Only.' Period. End of story, for the same reasons as the above.

Pseudo-Legendaries are 'By GM Permission Only,' as many of them can and have been abused in previous RP's I tried this idea for on this and other websites in the past. I won't allow that kind of shenaniganry to happen again. So if you want a Pseudo-Legendary like any member of the Dratini, Larvitar, Salamence, etc families, you need to get my permission. Also, in order to secure my permission, you'll need a damn good reason why you should be able to encounter/capture it. Cause ain't none of 'em gonna be Starter material.

Rules!

1)
No God-Modding, Metagaming, or Power Playing.

Our characters can have at least some knowledge of Pokemon. But that knowledge must be limited for the sake of them being able to learn and grow as both people and trainers along the journey. Any knowledge you have of the games, anime/manga, and other forms of lore must be left at the door of the RP and forgotten about for the duration of the RP until your character earns that knowledge themselves through dynamic and believable means.

2) Please respect your fellow role-players!

It seems like it should be a given. But in the Pokemon community I've seen needless arguments break out and descend into total toxic messes for no reason other than someone had a different video game experience than someone else which "legitimizes" a point that didn't need to be argued in the first place. If you ever have a problem with someone please bring it to my attention. And as GM, I will handle it. That's my job.

3) NO "Capture by Friendship!!"

This is a bullshit mechanic from the anime, and I don't care for it. Pokemon are wild animals in this RP. And even after you capture them they're not just suddenly going to be your friend and fight for you. They'll resist, disobey, and perhaps even try to harm you or escape from you if you give them half a chance. And no, I don't care if the concept of slowly gaining trust over time is a real thing. I know it is. I've spent the last several years at my job on my lunch break feeding squirrels which are now comfortable enough to sit on my lap and munch crackers with me.

I know it's a real thing with animals. It's not gonna happen in this RP.

There will be zero exceptions to this rule. Period.

4) Have fun!

Pokemon is meant to be fun. And this RP, despite me being a stickler on my rules and limitations, should be no different. I plan on making this as enjoyable an experience as I can with as much freedom as can be provided for you. So put a smile on and let's get crackin'!

With all of that said and done, let's move on to the Character Sheet and a few other bits of info for you on what I expect out of your characters!

Name: Please be as original as humanly possible, and don't make any obvious attempts to steal your favorite game/anime/manga characters' names as your own
Picture: Anime, or digital artwork in an anime/painterly style are mandatory (my character's portrait is a good example of the latter)

Age: Minimum age is 18 due to societal laws preventing children/minors from entering a dangerous, unsupervised world on their own
Height:
Weight:
Voice Example:
This is optional, but highly encouraged as it'd be nice to know what your character sounds like (And please try to get dialogue instead of songs, as one's singing voice isn't always a good representation of their speaking voice)

Starter Pokemon: Must be a traditional starter, but can be from any generation.

Personality: Please provide enough information to give us a good idea of who your character is. This can be anywhere from a few sentences to a few paragraphs. And here's a tip: If you think I'll be able to ask "Why does this matter?" with respect to any details you provide in this section, then chances are it's not ready for submission yet.

Quirks: Please give a bullet point list of at least three traits that are unique to your character. Anything from nervous ticks, favorite phrases, or other behaviors are applicable. See my sheet below for examples!

Biography: I'm going to be a bit more strict on this section than I normally am and require anyone interested to include the following in the bio: An intro to who your character's parents are, how the met, and how/why they fell in love and started a family together (do NOT be lazy and say "love at first sight," as that will instantly get your entire Character Sheet rejected). Include any major events that were instrumental to your character's early life development, and any which had a major impact on who they are today. This bio should be at least two full paragraphs in length, as there should be a lot to say about your character. If there's not much to say to the point where you have to strain yourself to fill two paragraphs, then it's probably best to find another Pokemon RP to join.

When it comes to your character's bio and their relationship with Pokemon, it's fine if your character grew up with Pokemon in the family. But as mentioned in the rules above the Character Sheet I will not accept any attempts at befriending wild Pokemon either before your journey begins, or during it. All Pokemon will have to be encountered, battled, and captured as it was always intended with the source material before the anime came along and made everything overly kid-friendly. Especially in the West with how the American dubs butchered a lot of the original Japanese dialogue and censored things as minor as a slap to the face.

Here's my character so you have an example of what to expect regarding how to put your own sheet together!

Yume Okabe

Height: 5' 4" (162.5cm)
    Weight: 115 lbs (52 kg)

Voice Example: Yume's Voice

Starter Pokemon: Charmander (Blaze)

Quirks:

* Folds her hands when in conversation
    * Always bows at the beginning and end of a conversation
    * Tilts her head when deeply engaged in a conversation
    * Prays every morning and evening
    * (Quietly) dislikes and disapproves of foul language
    * Toys with the ropes at the back of her uniform when nervous or afraid

Last edited:
GojiBean GojiBean hi, im interested! i actually have a character i could probably use for this already :D

one question first though? with regards to the starters being the traditional starters, that means the usual fire, water, grass starters right? or would pikachu/eevee possibly be accepted as well since they appeared in the lets go games, and pikachu was in yellow? just wondering so i know if imma need to modify my characters pokemon in advance sdmfldkjfs

GojiBean GojiBean hi, im interested! i actually have a character i could probably use for this already :D

one question first though? with regards to the starters being the traditional starters, that means the usual fire, water, grass starters right? or would pikachu/eevee possibly be accepted as well since they appeared in the lets go games, and pikachu was in yellow? just wondering so i know if imma need to modify my characters pokemon in advance sdmfldkjfs

Hi jump.!

For the sake of fairness I'm not going to count the spinoffs like the Let's Go games. Just mainline games. So yes. The Fire, Water, and Grass choices available in the mainline games are the choices you have to pick from.

Yellow was a main game, wasn't it? I'm just asking, my character would use a water type so this doesn't apply to me. GojiBean GojiBean (Simple enough rule to say no pikachu even though yellow was a main game though aha)

edit: nah yeah yellow is definitely a spinoff

Last edited:
Hi jump.!

For the sake of fairness I'm not going to count the spinoffs like the Let's Go games. Just mainline games. So yes. The Fire, Water, and Grass choices available in the mainline games are the choices you have to pick from.
understood, thanks! in that case i'll probably go with rowlet as a starter then ^_^

Hello, this all looks incredibly interesting! However I only have ability to post weekly and sometimes sub-weekly(sometimes I may have a haitus in which case I'll dm and work out so nobody's locked with my character), so I wanted to ask what the posting requirements would be? Thank you!

Hello, this all looks incredibly interesting! However I only have ability to post weekly and sometimes sub-weekly(sometimes I may have a haitus in which case I'll dm and work out so nobody's locked with my character), so I wanted to ask what the posting requirements would be? Thank you!

Hoyo!

Based on the activity level of the group in the OOC thread this RP is shaping up to be a 2-3+ posts per week as everyone seems to be very responsive and eager to go.

GojiBean GojiBean super interested

Hoyo. Glad to hear it!

Please do read up on what's been shared so far in the OOC thread and make sure you're good with the character requirements. If/when ready you can post a character in the "Characters" thread that's linked in the posts above.

hey small question , are pokemon just assholes in this world , like they will beat the shit out of you even after years of being friends with them

hey small question , are pokemon just assholes in this world , like they will beat the shit out of you even after years of being friends with them
lmao no they can become your friend they just aren't magically your friend because you captured them

DawnStreak DawnStreak wigi wigi Hoyo you two.

Thank you both for your interest.

At present I'm happy with the size of the group and the pace we're moving. So for the time being I am not looking for new members.

I will edit the title of the Interest Check to make sure there's no confusion.

Thank you, and happy Halloween!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back