• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Sky Above, Rust Below (Post Apocalyptic Steampunk)

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

Note: I am actually aiming at a steampunk feel with an Age of Piracy setting and Wild West setting mixed together. “Magical” below actually has a technological explanation that is far beyond the understanding of the current civilization. Antigravity is present, but is beyond anyone’s comprehension. Most advanced technology comes from salvage.

Global Warming, overuse of natural resources (fossil fuels and such), War, and disease of the 21st century left the Earth in a state that would have been unrecognizable to earlier generations. The polar caps are long gone. Coastal cities now lay underwater and mostly serve as coral reefs, metal structures long since corroding away to nothing. The population of the Earth is a mere fraction (about 0.3%) of what it once was with large regions of the Northern hemisphere left uninhabitable.

Technologically the world has changed radically. After World War III the world was thrown into a Dark Age. Only in recent decades has science begun to reach pre industrial levels. Currently the technology of the world resembles the late 19th century with some anomalies. Without fossil fuels light and heat are derived from green sources like wind, water and solar. Yes, solar power has survived, even flourished. Plus some botanical sources - exotic plants that produce electricity ‘naturally’.

Transportation is either by foot or on land. Trains exist, but they are usually drawn by animals and much more limited. The fastest way to travel is by air, more specifically by dirigible. Solar power has made propulsion far more efficient. A ‘magical’ substance known as stardust can extract helium from the air or water. (If anyone shoots holes in your airbag you will need stardust.)

Few humans live outside the protection of city states without the protection of a colonial fort. Most who do - other than scavengers with ships or skimmers - hold a status much like mountain men. The others are Range Guides, legendary warriors who travel the wastelands and shun technology.

Characters
You are a scavenger with an air skimmer, eking out a living by prospecting, scouring old ruins for ancient artifacts or materials that might be traded for wealth - usually in the form of rare metals or gems - or supplies. (Only large city states mint money.) Scavenging requires a Letter of Mark to operate in a city state’s area. If caught without such a letter while operating in their territory the punishment is severe, akin to poaching on royal lands in the Feudal Era.

The image below gives an idea of the size I am thinking of, though it is a bit larger and a lot ‘cleaner’ - and lacks a dirigible.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/df/b4/00dfb418cf424751eb0a89194fe84938.jpg

Or maybe this one
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QrCIcruLL4o/maxresdefault.jpg
This one is just … graceful. (Yes, it is the one from the Mortal Engines movie.)

You will find yourself competing with larger vessels manned by scores of men. Often such companies are unscrupulous. Some are outright pirates.

Blank CS

Setting
The initial setting will be centered around the American southwest: Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Nevada and Southern Utah. I will have "hard" sites added to Lore when we get started. Flagstaff, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, etc ... all have contemporary equivalents, though they may be hardly recognizable. Each will have specific exports and imports, governments, troubles, etc.

Posting
3rd person, past tense
Modest literacy
Decent content

Last edited:
This looks and sounds amazing! Interested for sure. ✨

If we can get a few more, I'll start up a CS page. I'd love to start this in early April. I happen to have a week off scheduled that week.

Bump. Added OOC and CS pages. Links above.

Will work on Lore once I get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back