• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Shadows of the Setting Sun (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
View attachment 864287Cathak Latif Orgara (mortal)
Satrap of of Rimefall and the outlying villages.

Latif is distant blood to the Cathak house, proper. He was assigned to a remote Satrapy to keep him out of the way. He’s ambitious, but often gets confused by too many details.

Yet somehow, he’s been fighting a wasteful war against the brutal northern tribes. It started as a way to prove his own worth to his name and house. But, the fighting has continued for years and his conscripted forces have made no headway.

Rimefall is east of Pneuma on the southern coast. Latif’s Satrapy extends out into the harsh hills and forests north from the coast.

Hmm. Could certainly be an interesting place. And if she is part of the war being waged against the tribes, it could explain why her reputation spread that far north. A woman who makes the battlefield look like a meadow of blooming poppies.

Got a favorite on which place of origin you could work better with? WlfSamurai WlfSamurai

I went with The Red Rain as a placeholder Sorbiquet.

You all have any suggestions for a good sorbiquet for a infamous warrior?

I don't have any concrete one, but my advice is to find the core of your character and take the name from there. Make it your own, rather than just slapping a cool name on a cool character.

The most effective use of a sobriquet I've seen for a violent warrior in fiction is the Bloody Nine from Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself (and related books). In this case, it refers to a legendary berserker whose name comes from the blood he's spilled and the fact that he's missing the middle finger of his left hand.

I went with The Red Rain as a placeholder Sorbiquet.

Silence bringer, Lament of the Valorous, The Fraying of Banners, That sort of thing? I guess for a warrior, it would likely be something that was given by opposing soldiers, words and titles that exemplify the chilling realization that battle won't be glory for your cause, but a cold, painful death at the merciless hand of a legendary warrior. All the love and pride your army felt leaving town in parade formation sapped away in an instant.

Last edited:
I don't have any concrete one, but my advice is to find the core of your character and take the name from there. Make it your own, rather than just slapping a cool name on a cool character.

The most effective use of a sobriquet I've seen for a violent warrior in fiction is the Bloody Nine from Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself (and related books). In this case, it refers to a legendary berserker whose name comes from the blood he's spilled and the fact that he's missing the middle finger of his left hand.

That was my thought process too in picking the place holder.

One of the core aspects of her is the White Reaper Style. And judging from its use and imagery of cutting through people like grass, its a very gorey style. Speed and wife movements to cut swathes of soldiers out of your way while using those very soldier as your own shields. Moving quickly from one attack to another and from soldier to soldier like a medieval lawn mower.

Things would get messy quick, especially with her noted brutality. The spray from every swing, misting the air and falling in a wide arc around her in every which direction. Like rain.

Silence bringer, Lament of the Valorous, The Fraying of Banners, That sort of thing? I guess for a warrior, it would likely be something that was given by opposing soldiers, words and titles that exemplify the chilling realization that battle won't be glory for your cause, but a cold, painful death at the merciless hand of a legendary warrior. All the love and pride your army felt leaving town in parade formation sapped away in an instant.

Yes! That sort of thing. Though like Ebsilon pointed out. More personal to who she is and how she acts.

And yes. It would be a title given to her by her enemies. So perhaps it should also be taken into account who her enemies are. For example, if her enemies are the barbarian tribes of the frozen north, they may be more familiar with snow than rain. A name that conjures fear in them would be something they can relate to.

Of ideas of what aspects might be taken into account:

Her cruelty
Her fighting style
Her striking beauty.
Who she is fighting for.

An easy example might be

"The Rimefall Devil" denoting her cruelty and her leige.

"Third Circle of the North" denoting demonic behavior, a fearsome power, and the iconic Halo's generated by her style, and where she does battle.

Ah, you want to play on White Reaper and a bloody past with a reference to beauty... "Bloodlight Siren"?

EDIT:
Other ideas include...
Rimewraith
Slaughterglow
Cackling Avalanche

Last edited:
I've got some background up, kinda covers her past up until meeting other exalted! Did anyone want to develop some sort of working relationship with Aeliana? I imagine she's been gearing up for the Northern trip for some time, maybe she's met other Exalted in her preliminary travels?

Hmm. Could certainly be an interesting place. And if she is part of the war being waged against the tribes, it could explain why her reputation spread that far north. A woman who makes the battlefield look like a meadow of blooming poppies.

Got a favorite on which place of origin you could work better with? WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
I could work with either, actually. And I’m probably keeping both. Latif fits into a role I already had planned. Fortitude is way too interesting to ignore.

That was my thought process too in picking the place holder.

One of the core aspects of her is the White Reaper Style. And judging from its use and imagery of cutting through people like grass, its a very gorey style. Speed and wife movements to cut swathes of soldiers out of your way while using those very soldier as your own shields. Moving quickly from one attack to another and from soldier to soldier like a medieval lawn mower.

Things would get messy quick, especially with her noted brutality. The spray from every swing, misting the air and falling in a wide arc around her in every which direction. Like rain.

Yes! That sort of thing. Though like Ebsilon pointed out. More personal to who she is and how she acts.

And yes. It would be a title given to her by her enemies. So perhaps it should also be taken into account who her enemies are. For example, if her enemies are the barbarian tribes of the frozen north, they may be more familiar with snow than rain. A name that conjures fear in them would be something they can relate to.

Of ideas of what aspects might be taken into account:

Her cruelty
Her fighting style
Her striking beauty.
Who she is fighting for.

An easy example might be

"The Rimefall Devil" denoting her cruelty and her leige.

"Third Circle of the North" denoting demonic behavior, a fearsome power, and the iconic Halo's generated by her style, and where she does battle.
Red Shade
Blood Siren
Blood Angel
Crimson Devil
Dread Angel
Crimson Demon

Is this helping?!

1616277058736.gif

I've got some background up, kinda covers her past up until meeting other exalted! Did anyone want to develop some sort of working relationship with Aeliana? I imagine she's been gearing up for the Northern trip for some time, maybe she's met other Exalted in her preliminary travels?
Yeah, I’d like to take it where you guys are all already allies. NOT NECESSARILY FRIENDS. But allies working toward a common idea. We haven’t gotten to the idea part yet as we don’t really have all characters.

So ties to each other is good.

Hmm, this is a tough one. How far south would Aeliana be from? Native language might be a concern.

I could see Toun running into Aeliana in an effort to ambush a Wyld Hunt that happened to be on her trail. After all, killing rich people from southern areas is an old habit for him by now. Many tribesmen loathe "southern" slavers whether they are Guild or Dynasty.

Would she be interested in joining a northern war band to build a free society?

Define free?

I’m actually not sure on the geographical aspects of things, there likely will be a language barrier but she’s great at pantomime.

But that’s an awesome idea! Aeliana is just kinda blindly traipsing around with a massive cult following her, setting up arenas, putting on a show, and heading to the next land. The Wyld Hunt would find her effortlessly.

Probably makes her excellent bait as she marches along, just continuing to collect followers. Gotta keep free people entertained!

Define free?
The short answer would be a society without slaves and the elders and judges that organize the people are generally decided by the people.

For context, Toun's ideals would be shaped from two sides. One being his upbringing in a small tribe as a hunter, the other being his Elder Lunar's teachings from Gerd Marrow-Eater who founded a faction called the Haslanti league (which is basically a bunch of tribes forming what amounts to a republic).

For something organized by someone not highly educated, it'd be a fairly simplistic tribal society overseen by the Exalted circle acting as a pantheon of deities. That is unless someone more academically minded gets involved in our efforts.

Essentially, we could make of it what we want. The core idea though is fighting off the Wyld Hunt so the player characters can live their lives and also keeping slavers or invaders out of our territory.

I’m actually not sure on the geographical aspects of things, there likely will be a language barrier but she’s great at pantomime.
Hmm... well Toun knows Skytongue (the common family of languages/dialects in the north), Riverspeak (which is the closest thing to a common or trade language), and Old Realm (which is the language most spirits default to)

Outside of that, Toun is also adept at pantomime.

But that’s an awesome idea! Aeliana is just kinda blindly traipsing around with a massive cult following her, setting up arenas, putting on a show, and heading to the next land. The Wyld Hunt would find her effortlessly.

Probably makes her excellent bait as she marches along, just continuing to collect followers. Gotta keep free people entertained!
Luring Wyld Hunts into dropping nice loot will be a very entertaining and beneficial side hustle that's for sure.

Ah, you want to play on White Reaper and a bloody past with a reference to beauty... "Bloodlight Siren"?

EDIT:
Other ideas include...
Rimewraith
Slaughterglow
Cackling Avalanche

Those are really good! Really like Bloodlight Siren.

Also really liking Rimewraith! As Rime also frosty fog, fitting of the north.

I could work with either, actually. And I’m probably keeping both. Latif fits into a role I already had planned. Fortitude is way too interesting to ignore.

Red Shade
Blood Siren
Blood Angel
Crimson Devil
Dread Angel
Crimson Demon

Is this helping?!

View attachment 864316

It is!

What about using both. Latif being sent to Fortitude to keep him out of the way. But this city is fuel for an ambition like his.

These prisoners make great soldiers. The realm will not miss them, the violent are eager and know fighting, and the nice ones are easily convinced a successful campaign will get them forgiven of the sins of the past.

The gangs give access to some potentially interesting and flavorful characters both savory and unsavory. Some, like Afuru, looking for blood, and others who might seek realm approval.

Though Letif may need some potency to him to be able to control a place like Fortitude.

Hmm, this is a tough one. How far south would Aeliana be from? Native language might be a concern.

I could see Toun running into Aeliana in an effort to ambush a Wyld Hunt that happened to be on her trail. After all, killing rich people from southern areas is an old habit for him by now. Many tribesmen loathe "southern" slavers whether they are Guild or Dynasty.

Would she be interested in joining a northern war band to build a free society?

So how would Toun feel about "Bloodlight Siren" who spilled a great amount of Northern blood for pleasure?

And as a note, Afuru would be interested in such an ideal. A place she can start anew and do some actual good to make up for her past.
Define free?

I could also see Aeliana seeing a fight between Evervictor and Bloodlight Siren as being a very profitable match. A clash between titans.

So how would Toun feel about "Bloodlight Siren" who spilled a great amount of Northern blood for pleasure?

And as a note, Afuru would be interested in such an ideal. A place she can start anew and do some actual good to make up for her past.
With the Icewalker tribes overall being somewhat cutthroat by nature, probably indifferent. Hunting and herding grounds are highly coveted resources.

If she wants to make a new life, not repeat past mistakes, and sincerely be part of the team she's a valued member in his eyes.

I could also see Aeliana seeing a fight between Evervictor and Bloodlight Siren as being a very profitable match. A clash between titans.
I'm genuinely looking forward to it now.

I don't really have much space among Toun's starting points to have a robust support structure at first.
I got you, fam. I am 100% empire grade robust support structure. Can't fight to save my life, shouldn't be allowed to speak to anyone for longer than a few seconds or I'll put my foot in my mouth (but what an awe inspiring few seconds they will be! Nations will adore my brief and remarkably efficacious public appearances.), but wow can I feed a lot of people and keep them healthy. Sadly I can't just sit on my cloud and make people magically better at everything yet - I had to Supernal Occult instead of Presence.
For everyone still working, would Monday be a good target to have character sheets finished?
Can do.

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai Are we allowed to pitch custom Charms for your approval? Ephemeral Induction Technique has no supporting Charms and I want to treat it as the base of an extended tree by adding a bunch of new child Charms to improve it. I have Supernal Socialize envy. I think Draw the Curtain has the smoothest tax-free chain of fantastic Charms in the whole book. At Your Service is amazing. I want to make Occult feel maybe slightly less awesome than Socialize, because let's face it, Socialize is broken as all hell. I had to buy 10 Charms to get to this thing, and I want it to feel 10 Charms deep.

I'm going to need to work with you to figure out what my Gods actually do mechanically, since this Charm is really hand waivey about details for such a crunchy game. It's really not at all clear what an Essence 1 God is even capable of, since Spirits don't really exist below Essence 2? (That's a lie, I just realized there is an Essence 1 God right in the core book. Also it's kind of a terrifying combat monster for a farmer?) Most don't even have any Essence 1 Charms. Are Essence 1 Gods just mortals that can dematerialize and Measure the Wind? Is an Essence 1 War God mostly just a buff to soldiers rather than a personal murder machine? Who knows? You, the answer is you.

I also need to work out what the hell my Thaumaturgy powers are, because what even is Thaumaturgy this edition and Solar Charm Tax says I have some. Options I am considering:
  1. You speak the secret language of plants. You can comprehend their desires, hopes, and dreams, and fulfilling them can do far more than simply accelerating growth.
  2. When you lead a festival for a community the threads of fate that bind them together become briefly tangible for you. You can divine the person in that community with the most significant unfulfilled destiny, and some hint about how you could help them fulfill it.
  3. You can hear the whispered prayers of your worshippers when you meditate, and you are immediately made aware when interceding on behalf of one of your followers has especially auspicious prospects for increasing the spread of your worship.

Last edited:
Are we allowed to pitch custom Charms for your approval? Ephemeral Induction Technique has no supporting Charms and I want to treat it as the base of an extended tree by adding a bunch of new child Charms to improve it. I have Supernal Socialize envy. I think Draw the Curtain has the smoothest tax-free chain of fantastic Charms in the whole book. At Your Service is amazing. I want to make Occult feel maybe slightly less awesome than Socialize, because let's face it, Socialize is broken as all hell. I had to buy 10 Charms to get to this thing, and I want it to feel 10 Charms deep.
Yes, absolutely. Ephemeral Induction Technique is crazy and so fun. I had never read it before, actually.

I also need to work out what the hell my Thaumaturgy powers are, because what even is Thaumaturgy this edition and Solar Charm Tax says I have some. Options I am considering:
  1. You speak the secret language of plants. You can comprehend their desires, hopes, and dreams, and fulfilling them can do far more than simply accelerating growth.
  2. When you lead a festival for a community the threads of fate that bind them together become briefly tangible for you. You can divine the person in that community with the most significant unfulfilled destiny, and some hint about how you could help them fulfill it.
  3. You can hear the whispered prayers of your worshippers when you meditate, and you are immediately made aware when interceding on behalf of one of your followers has especially auspicious prospects for increasing the spread of your worship.
Yes, those are all good starts. I'd also point out that a lot of the Thaumaturgy examples seem to focus on the ritual involved with achieving them. So, we'll want to lay that out too, just for color.

Hey friends,

Just wanted to reach out about our little Monday potential start time. Thinking on it more (and being reminded that people have lives on the weekend, duh), I think we'll push it further into the week. At this point, I'm aiming, loosely, for a Wednesday / Thursday start time.

I want to make sure everyone has had a good chance to put their character together. Monday didn't really feel like such a short time yesterday. Sorry about that.

Let me know if that works for y'all. ;)

Tagging: Esbilon Esbilon , Epiphany Epiphany , Rykon Rykon , Sherwood Sherwood , D. Rex D. Rex , Funnier President Funnier President , Random Word Random Word , Teh Frixz Teh Frixz

I'm fine with waiting a few days to start so that everyone has time to get their characters together :)

I'm also looking into Sorcerous Initiations since none of the ones in the core book really suit me. What do y'all think of this one?

COVENANT WITH THE SUN
The character became a sorceror by meditating on her own Solar Essence, emulating one of the Mice of the Sun, or by being initiated into sorcerous enlightement by a Solar Exalt or the Unconquered Sun himself.

Shaping Rituals
• The sorcerer draws power from revealing light, channeling it into her spells. Whenever she begins a scene standing directly under rays of bright light, bearing aloft a lit torch or lantern, or ablaze with an anima banner at the burning level, she gains three sorcerous motes, which last until the end of the scene and can be spent towards any spells she casts. Additionally, whenever she takes a shape sorcery action to shape a spell while brightly illuminated and clearly visible, she gains an additional sorcerous mote as long as the spell’s target is paying her his full attention and seeking to engage her in combat or debate.

• The sorcerer’s patron offers her power in exchange for burnt offerings, breathing in the smoke of her tribute and rewarding her with glory. The sorcerer may make a prayer roll (Charisma + Performance, difficulty 5 minus the Resources value of any sacrifices offered along with the prayer) seeking power from her patron. Success grants her sorcerous motes equal to (her Essence + extra successes on the roll). These motes last for the duration of the story, and can be spent towards any spell she casts. She cannot pray for power more than once a day, and receiving new motes replaces any granted by past prayers.

• The sorcerer has learned to cultivate the light of virtue in her own heart, using it to charge the power of her spells. Whenever she would gain a point of Willpower from upholding an Intimacy that represents a passionate emotion or fervent belief, she may instead claim 5 sorcerous motes. These motes last until the next sunset, and can be spent towards any spell she casts. If upholding that Intimacy causes in-character hardship that would be sufficient to gain solar experience as though from a Flaw, she gains 10 sorcerous motes, which last for the duration of the story. After the first time this bonus is awarded in a story, subsequent awards are lowered to the sorcerer’s (Essence).

Other Benefits
Faithful Servant (Merit •): Like one of the Mice of the Sun, the sorceror gains a Defining Tie of loyalty to the Unconquered Sun, which cannot be weakened or altered by any influence rolls or magic.

Fed by Virtue (Merit ••, •••): Like one of the Mice of the Sun, the sorceror may satisfy hunger or thirst by acting compassionately or courageously to aid another. At three dots, her hunger pains may be allayed by witnessing someone else do the same, provided she has a Defining positive Tie to the person performing the virtuous action.

Duke of Burning Light (Merit ••): Light and fire answer readily to the sorcerer’s will. Whenever the sorcerer casts a spell that creates light or fire as its primary effect, or manipulates fire, its cost is lowered by three sorcerous motes. If it’s her control spell, she may also waive a single point of Willpower from its cost once per day.

I'm fine with waiting a few days to start so that everyone has time to get their characters together :)

I'm also looking into Sorcerous Initiations since none of the ones in the core book really suit me. What do y'all think of this one?

COVENANT WITH THE SUN
The character became a sorceror by meditating on her own Solar Essence, emulating one of the Mice of the Sun, or by being initiated into sorcerous enlightement by a Solar Exalt or the Unconquered Sun himself.

Shaping Rituals
• The sorcerer draws power from revealing light, channeling it into her spells. Whenever she begins a scene standing directly under rays of bright light, bearing aloft a lit torch or lantern, or ablaze with an anima banner at the burning level, she gains three sorcerous motes, which last until the end of the scene and can be spent towards any spells she casts. Additionally, whenever she takes a shape sorcery action to shape a spell while brightly illuminated and clearly visible, she gains an additional sorcerous mote as long as the spell’s target is paying her his full attention and seeking to engage her in combat or debate.

• The sorcerer’s patron offers her power in exchange for burnt offerings, breathing in the smoke of her tribute and rewarding her with glory. The sorcerer may make a prayer roll (Charisma + Performance, difficulty 5 minus the Resources value of any sacrifices offered along with the prayer) seeking power from her patron. Success grants her sorcerous motes equal to (her Essence + extra successes on the roll). These motes last for the duration of the story, and can be spent towards any spell she casts. She cannot pray for power more than once a day, and receiving new motes replaces any granted by past prayers.

• The sorcerer has learned to cultivate the light of virtue in her own heart, using it to charge the power of her spells. Whenever she would gain a point of Willpower from upholding an Intimacy that represents a passionate emotion or fervent belief, she may instead claim 5 sorcerous motes. These motes last until the next sunset, and can be spent towards any spell she casts. If upholding that Intimacy causes in-character hardship that would be sufficient to gain solar experience as though from a Flaw, she gains 10 sorcerous motes, which last for the duration of the story. After the first time this bonus is awarded in a story, subsequent awards are lowered to the sorcerer’s (Essence).

Other Benefits
Faithful Servant (Merit •): Like one of the Mice of the Sun, the sorceror gains a Defining Tie of loyalty to the Unconquered Sun, which cannot be weakened or altered by any influence rolls or magic.

Fed by Virtue (Merit ••, •••): Like one of the Mice of the Sun, the sorceror may satisfy hunger or thirst by acting compassionately or courageously to aid another. At three dots, her hunger pains may be allayed by witnessing someone else do the same, provided she has a Defining positive Tie to the person performing the virtuous action.

Duke of Burning Light (Merit ••): Light and fire answer readily to the sorcerer’s will. Whenever the sorcerer casts a spell that creates light or fire as its primary effect, or manipulates fire, its cost is lowered by three sorcerous motes. If it’s her control spell, she may also waive a single point of Willpower from its cost once per day.
I really like it. I’m not sure it needs any changes, either. So go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back