• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Shadows of the Setting Sun (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
Any judgment on changing shapes of a weapon?

Also! What would be your thoughts on starting with a generic artifact weapon and giving it narrative weight and significance as well as Evocations through play?
These are good questions. The latter pertains to Toun a bit as well. I still need to try and come up with potential themes for his personal artifacts and I like the idea of them being very new, almost blank slates that will become more defined as their legend is written by the wielder.
The first question, what do you mean? Like it can change shape to fit what you need all Moonsilver-ey?

The second question, ABSOLUTELY. I LOVE emergent play. It’s my favorite and why I play so many story-first RPGs. Down with the clown on that 100%.

Oops. Well, that's awkward. My condolences and all that. In that case I don't know how we'll meet, but if you want to have established a cult among nearby settlements that works.
Not a big deal. I don't really have much space among Toun's starting points to have a robust support structure at first. Not without dropping Mentor anyway. I can take Resources 1 and just as easily start from scratch.

The first question, what do you mean? Like it can change shape to fit what you need all Moonsilver-ey?

The second question, ABSOLUTELY. I LOVE emergent play. It’s my favorite and why I play so many story-first RPGs. Down with the clown on that 100%.
For the former. I mean something a bit more simple than that. Different weapon properties than what is written. Such as having a daiklave instead be a grand daiklave. Or goremaul taken as a wrackstaff. Within reason given the power sets, of course. In the original inquiry which is of a lesser example, it was me asking if Sea's verdict, a longfang in the form a trident, might take an appearance that is more war-friendly such as three pronged polearms like a ransuer or a yari.

As for the latter! That's wonderful! I would definitely like to do something like that then.

Along the lines of what Rykon said about themes, I think a big theme of what I'm going for for my character is redemption.

A woman like her isn't going to easily change over night. She whose bloodthirst was feared, and drew sadistic glee from killing, with a skill in her arts that made even dynasts take pause. A mortal champion of death that was finally put down as if she were a rabid animal.

How does she escape all that? A past that clings to her like a gore coated anchor. With killing being all she knew, where does she even start in learning a different path? Would she be able to spare the life of a fallen enemy when years of instinct tell her to finish them?

And how does it play out, when she wraps her fingers around an artifact that was destined to be in her hands? What could any such artifact be in her hands other than a weapon of mass destruction? But such is the nature of artifacts that they are not so easily defined, that they are more attuned to fate and reality than even the wielder can understand.

I think Rykon brought up an interesting thought. An artifact being a blank.

In the first age, master smiths likely made weapons by the armfuls! And surely not every one was taken and made into legend. Surely there are some just waiting to be taken so that its story can begin. Where, when wielded by us, the legends we create with them are felt by those who take them up in the next age, just as the legends of the arms of the chosen are felt by the characters who claim them in this age.

For the former. I mean something a bit more simple than that. Different weapon properties than what is written. Such as having a daiklave instead be a grand daiklave. Or goremaul taken as a wrackstaff. Within reason given the power sets, of course. In the original inquiry which is of a lesser example, it was me asking if Sea's verdict, a longfang in the form a trident, might take an appearance that is more war-friendly such as three pronged polearms like a ransuer or a yari.

As for the latter! That's wonderful! I would definitely like to do something like that then.

Along the lines of what Rykon said about themes, I think a big theme of what I'm going for for my character is redemption.

A woman like her isn't going to easily change over night. She whose bloodthirst was feared, and drew sadistic glee from killing, with a skill in her arts that made even dynasts take pause. A mortal champion of death that was finally put down as if she were a rabid animal.

How does she escape all that? A past that clings to her like a gore coated anchor. With killing being all she knew, where does she even start in learning a different path? Would she be able to spare the life of a fallen enemy when years of instinct tell her to finish them?

And how does it play out, when she wraps her fingers around an artifact that was destined to be in her hands? What could any such artifact be in her hands other than a weapon of mass destruction? But such is the nature of artifacts that they are not so easily defined, that they are more attuned to fate and reality than even the wielder can understand.

I think Rykon brought up an interesting thought. An artifact being a blank.

In the first age, master smiths likely made weapons by the armfuls! And surely not every one was taken and made into legend. Surely there are some just waiting to be taken so that its story can begin. Where, when wielded by us, the legends we create with them are felt by those who take them up in the next age, just as the legends of the arms of the chosen are felt by the characters who claim them in this age.
Oh yeah, go for it. Swapping out weapon types on taken Artifacts to suit your character better is no problem at all.

All this talk brings up something that I do with my Exalted games that I just thought of. I’m going to tag everyone so everyone sees it:
Esbilon Esbilon , Epiphany Epiphany , Rykon Rykon , Sherwood Sherwood , D. Rex D. Rex , Funnier President Funnier President , Random Word Random Word - See this next bit below, friends:
For the first two “sessions” you are allowed to make minor to medium adjustments (subjective case-by-case) to your character, as long as you let me know. I don’t want you stuck with a Charm, Artifact, or whatever that you’re not satisfied with or doesn’t work the way you wanted/intended for the duration.

So, if something comes up, just let me know. I’ll let you know when the time to make changes is ending - like a last call.

D. Rex D. Rex
For Toun's case, them being blank is a product of being tailormade for him from the same vein of Moonsilver that now secures his caste. Both artifacts would be paired not just with each other but with his body and spirit.

At the current moment, I want each weapon to be able to play with the concepts of drawing in not just shapes, but the strengths of foes they've felled, natural or unnatural. In addition to that, I'd like something that lends itself to the role of a warring chieftain, jarl, or khan.

That kind of mixture is going to take some time to think through anyway.

In the meantime, I love the character ideas here. I'm excited to see more of this group!

For the first two “sessions” you are allowed to make minor to medium adjustments (subjective case-by-case) to your character, as long as you let me know. I don’t want you stuck with a Charm, Artifact, or whatever that you’re not satisfied with or doesn’t work the way you wanted/intended for the duration.
The big Charm question I have is about my Stamina Charm of Rugged Beast Endurance to be able too resist the cold out there. If it turns out that we won't be needing weather-enduring Charms like that, it will be swapped out for something else.

Sure. Would they be...flaws...then?
I'm not... entirely sure yet.

On one hand, they would very well be considered such. As they would be distrustful. If not fearful of her. And it would no doubt attract people seeking to kill her, for revenge, money, or glory. (Or her soul) Amd a sorbiquet would likely make that more of thing. As she would be more recognized by her deeds and tales of what she looked like would spread.

On the other hand, it could be used some for stunting intimidation or something. Cowing to what she might do, be it submissive or outright fear.

In 3e, flaws are more of a way to get opportunities to earn Dragon Xp through substantial challenge.

Though I definitely expected them to be more of a narrative than a help. Sure, she may be more intimidating, but the social detriment outweighs that.

Basically what I was thinking was that it is something is a trouble to her. And serves as something she has to overcome. Trying to prove to herself that she has changed is one thing, but having to prove to the world she isn't like that is a completely different monster.

What do you think?

I wish that 3e had Flaws that would give Freebie Points at character creation. I guess we'll have to earn more points the old fashioned way.

I wish that 3e had Flaws that would give Freebie Points at character creation. I guess we'll have to earn more points the old fashioned way.
Yeah, I thought about upping your bonus points or giving some XP, but I like the starting from scratch and building into it. I think it's going to be fun to see you guys progress.

So, I think we've got a few sheets in so far.

For everyone still working, would Monday be a good target to have character sheets finished? I'm thinking that would give you guys the weekend to shore up whatever you need to get into your sheet to play and we can set our start.

Thoughts?

Tagging: Esbilon Esbilon , Epiphany Epiphany , Rykon Rykon , Sherwood Sherwood , D. Rex D. Rex , Funnier President Funnier President , Random Word Random Word

I am ready to start, but will continue to polish Tyree until then. Looking forward to your offering here, Wlf!

I am ready to start, but will continue to polish Tyree until then. Looking forward to your offering here, Wlf!
Yeah! Same! You guys have built some really awesome characters. So far, loving the ones up and the concepts that are flying about. Excited.

Last edited:
Guys, we’re going to make room for one more super secret spot. Teh Frixz Teh Frixz will be joining our motley crew of mixed Exalts.

Glad to have you aboard, Frix! Thanks for taking me up on my invite!

I’m honored to have been invited! Haven’t been very active on here but this amazing group and your game have drawn me out of my hidey hole. Hope I can keep up!

I’m honored to have been invited! Haven’t been very active on here but this amazing group and your game have drawn me out of my hidey hole. Hope I can keep up!
You had your chance to run, now its too late! You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile! Mwuhahaha!

Welcome to the group!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Exalted or Third Edition but let us know if we can help answer any questions.

I think i will take a risk and go with 1 intelligence and no Linguistics. She is uneducated, and can't read or write.

And I can use this in play, as she works to move from a deadly weapon to an educated, civilized, and peaceful individual.

I think i will take a risk and go with 1 intelligence and no Linguistics. She is uneducated, and can't read or write.

And I can use this in play, as she works to move from a deadly weapon to an educated, civilized, and peaceful individual.
There is a difference between uneducated and unintelligent. You may not be able to read, but can still be very smart.

Between Tyree and your Dawn looks like Toun will have plenty of kindred spirits to drink or hunt with. The more the merrier.

Also, I concur with Sherwood. There are three mental attributes as well. So there's plenty of different ways to reflect one's mental capabilities.

There is a difference between uneducated and unintelligent. You may not be able to read, but can still be very smart.
Very true.

In this instance. I'm viewing it as a difference between the wits and intelligence attributes.

She isn't well learned, and there is a lot she does not know that is outside of her wheelhouse (killing). How's and whys escape her. Politics and strategy are confusing.

But her high wits indicate that she is of high cognitive function and still quick witted. Not airheaded or dull. That she does have common sense and reacts well to what she DOES know. And once she understands something she can use it easily.

But this is just how I translated wits vs intelligence.

To that end, Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood Do you all suggest a Int of 2 would be better off?

Between Tyree and your Dawn looks like Toun will have plenty of kindred spirits to drink or hunt with. The more the merrier.

And I'm definitely of the same mind. I think they will get along splendidly. And fight together with great gusto.

And there is face haven't seen in a long time.

Welcome!

I know! It’s great to be back, thank you!

You had your chance to run, now its too late! You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile! Mwuhahaha!

My biological and technological distinctiveness are yours. Resistance is futile.

Welcome to the group!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Exalted or Third Edition but let us know if we can help answer any questions.

Thank you!

3E is new to me but I do have the rule book I’ve been reading through. If it’s any vote of confidence, I used to (still do) have an infatuation with Fair Folk and had a couple characters of that sort.

For sure this time though, I’ve got a solar concept in the making. Zenith Caste, full on Entertainer Warrior type, power drunk half mad gladiator from the southern lands putting on a show attempting to conquer the greatest challenges of the North while spitting in the face of the Hunt.

Thought that might be a fun bit of contrast flavor to the group. It’s all very loose still, so if it ruffles any feathers I can alter things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back