• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Shadows of the Setting Sun (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
So, the last of the Essence manuscripts has come out. Are we still planning to change systems, or has that on hold for the time being? I'm fine either way.

I've backed it, I'll have to make time to review. I just keep falling behind with upkeep around here.

I like what I've seen of Essence so far. I think the Getimian and Liminal charmsets are by far the most interesting, but with the exception of Infernals, which I found a bit lacking, all the others are middling to good. It fixes some of the problems I think 3e has with character creation and combat balance (or at least it's clear it tries to. I won't know if it succeeded without playing, but people who have played suggest it does), and the focus on specialization over every character being able to do everything is probably a good one.

The hardest part about switching to Essence is going to be not making a new character better aligned with the new system. Though after re-reading how difficulties work in Essence, I think it's possible Sigrdrífa is still almost as strong. Difficulty 10 is lying to the Unconquered Sun's face, and difficulty 7 is punching a hole in a fortress wall instantly. Sigrdrífa can get 5 + 5 + 4 dice for feats of strength, plus two more for stunting, for a total of 16 dice. Ten Ox Meditation reduces difficulty by 2, so she has a 50/50 chance of succeeding on a feat of strength as difficult as deceiving the Unconquered Sun, and a very good chance of smashing a hole in a fortress wall instantly. I don't know if 'deceiving the UCS' is equivalent to 'hurling Tyrant lizards', but it conceivably could be. Then the main difference would be old Sigrdrífa could do it reliably, while new Sigrdrífa has coin toss odds. I think I should drop either crafting or stealth or something else from her concept - fighting, super strength, survival, and a fourth thing is already really pushing the limits of a starting Essence character. Sticking to 3 or fewer things is probably best.

Last edited:
I like what I've seen of Essence so far. I think the Getimian and Liminal charmsets are by far the most interesting, but with the exception of Infernals, which I found a bit lacking, all the others are middling to good. It fixes some of the problems I think 3e has with character creation and combat balance (or at least it's clear it tries to, I won't know if it succeeded without playing, but people who have played suggest it does), and the focus on specialization over every character being able to do everything is probably a good one.

The hardest part about switching to Essence is going to be not making a new character better aligned with the new system. Though after re-reading how difficulties work in Essence, I think it's possible Sigrdrífa is still almost as strong. Difficulty 10 is lying to the Unconquered Sun's face, and difficulty 7 is punching a hole in a fortress wall instantly. Sigrdrífa can get 5 + 5 + 4 dice for feats of strength, plus two more for stunting, for a total of 16 dice. Ten Ox Meditation reduces difficulty by 2, so she has a 50/50 chance of succeeding on a feat of strength as difficult as deceiving the Unconquered Sun, and a very good chance of smashing a hole in a fortress wall instantly. I don't know if 'deceiving the UCS' is equivalent to 'hurling Tyrant lizards', but it conceivably could be. Then the main difference would be old Sigrdrífa could do it reliably, while new Sigrdrífa has coin toss odds. I think I should drop either crafting or stealth or something else from her concept - fighting, super strength, survival, and a fourth thing is already really pushing the limits of a starting Essence character. Sticking to 3 or fewer things is probably best.
Please don't hurl my tyrant lizard. I haven't even named it yet.

And I haven't read the manuscripts yet. Haven't got them. So no opinion on my end.

Haven't had the chance to even download the manuscripts either, but I can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of discarding a build with a satisfying degree of adaptability. So bias noted.

Who knows, perhaps there are new tricks I'll find appealing in what amounts to a new edition. That said, Toun's capability informs a lot of his history and overall concept as a character. I hope that isn't lost from the migration.

I like what I've seen of Essence so far. I think the Getimian and Liminal charmsets are by far the most interesting, but with the exception of Infernals, which I found a bit lacking, all the others are middling to good. It fixes some of the problems I think 3e has with character creation and combat balance (or at least it's clear it tries to. I won't know if it succeeded without playing, but people who have played suggest it does), and the focus on specialization over every character being able to do everything is probably a good one.

Haven't had the chance to even download the manuscripts either, but I can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of discarding a build with a satisfying degree of adaptability. So bias noted.

Who knows, perhaps there are new tricks I'll find appealing in what amounts to a new edition. That said, Toun's capability informs a lot of his history and overall concept as a character. I hope that isn't lost from the migration.

I kinda feel like I'm in the opposite boat to you two with regards to my own character, simply because I had a specific role in mind for Makuro and thus don't have much to lose in terms of adaptability/versatility if I were to port him over. Hell, with Brawl, Martial Arts and Melee being simplified down into Close Combat, I can have him skilled in using weapons besides those of Centipede Style.

Looking at it a little bit. The modes might be a bit concerning for Afureru. While White Reaper style is in the martial arts charms, the style is geared towards Lunars.

I'm don't think Solars have the same mastery they have in 3e, so she would certainly be missing out on some good benefits for not being a lunar.

While I’m fine with whatever we end up doing, system wise, I’m in the camp that’ll be hard pressed not to form a new character up with the newer rules. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of our characters but seeing some of the lore and abilities of the other exalt classes is making me want to try them out.

While I’m fine with whatever we end up doing, system wise, I’m in the camp that’ll be hard pressed not to form a new character up with the newer rules. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of our characters but seeing some of the lore and abilities of the other exalt classes is making me want to try them out.

Same. I'm particularly interested in the pre-3E Exalts that don't yet have splats for 3E - Sidereals, Abyssals and Infernals - simply because they're the ones that I'm most familiar with right now.

Teh Frixz Teh Frixz Dream-Souled made it into the Companion, and between their Chosen-of-an-Unshaped-Raksha Charms and the Exigents guidelines, I think you'll have a lot to work with as far as homebrewing playable Raksha. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some homebrew released to do just that, both before and after the Companion comes out.

Teh Frixz Teh Frixz Dream-Souled made it into the Companion, and between their Chosen-of-an-Unshaped-Raksha Charms and the Exigents guidelines, I think you'll have a lot to work with as far as homebrewing playable Raksha. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some homebrew released to do just that, both before and after the Companion comes out.

Well then there’s also that if we ever swap systems. I love the idea of a semi malicious being just running rampant through creation despite being made up of just the opposite. So much fun.

Oh hey, coupla things.
  1. We aren't planning on changing the system. I don't like a lot of 3e. But, we wouldn't have considered changing until "Exalted Essence" was actually published.
    1. Along with that, the fact that the already created characters would have to change to fit the new rules is a deal-breaker. I like your characters. You put a lot of work into them. The story is as-is already. If it made it easier to tell stories with the characters we already have, then we'd go with it. But, I don't want it to change characters.
  2. For D. Rex D. Rex 's question about spending XP and training times:
WlfSamurai WlfSamurai

What is your ruling in learning charms and using xp? Do you want us to use training times and spend in game time developing our abilities and techniques?
My gut is to go with RAW: you have to do the training times along with the spend.

But you guys have more experience in 3e. Have you found it's more fun or better in some way to go with no training times?

Esbilon Esbilon Epiphany Epiphany Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz jaydude jaydude

Oh hey, coupla things.
  1. We aren't planning on changing the system. I don't like a lot of 3e. But, we wouldn't have considered changing until "Exalted Essence" was actually published.
    1. Along with that, the fact that the already created characters would have to change to fit the new rules is a deal-breaker. I like your characters. You put a lot of work into them. The story is as-is already. If it made it easier to tell stories with the characters we already have, then we'd go with it. But, I don't want it to change characters.
  2. For D. Rex D. Rex 's question about spending XP and training times:

My gut is to go with RAW: you have to do the training times along with the spend.

But you guys have more experience in 3e. Have you found it's more fun or better in some way to go with no training times?

Esbilon Esbilon Epiphany Epiphany Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz jaydude jaydude
Disclaimer, I've yet to be in a 3E game that paid an iota of attention to training times after they were dismissed at the beginning of a campaign. I'll let that speak for itself.

The way Exalted (and other) games are usually run, you tend to make every in-game hour count, and so very little time is naturally left for training. This was the same in Ex2 of course, where in the first game I ran, the PCs would rack up tons of xp and never have the time to actually spend them.

You can totally run it with training times as written, but it requires taking serious amounts of downtime between the times you plan on handing out xp.

You guys make great points. And with those points, I usually find it cumbersome even at THE TABLE to build that time in. It's a lot to manage making sure we have decent pace and conversation here without having to worry about it.

Let's strike them for this game. I realize that makes XP easier to spend and be awesome, but that's not really a bad thing.

So, to announce and be clear: We're not worrying about training times. Spend XP at will and gain new stuff. Just let me/us know when you do. Thanks!

This is what I would choose to run Exalted in next, I think. Some of you know my favorite game is Apocalypse World. Everyone and their sister has hacked it into a game. Holden Shearer beat me to it for Exalted. His is better than what I was thinking. Not perfect, but damn, this would be awesome.

Some day...

Attachments

• exvwod-apocalypse-edition.pdf
    802.4 KB · Views: 6
Hmm. As much as I enjoy Exalted, I'm already trying to get my head around one new system, and my complete lack of familiarity with World of Darkness doesn't exactly help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back