• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern School of Power | You Guessed It, A Super Power School RP (Closed)

Verite

Endearing Misanthrope
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Credit to Zenterfold Zenterfold , my co-GM, who wrote all this up!

SCHOOL OF POWER

Hey there, this is an interest check for “School of Power,” an RP meant to be set in an academy dedicated to teaching students who have superpowers. I’m sure you know the drill. I assume for many that the idea of a “superpower school” is either too generic to bother with or an automatic bid for interest, but let’s see how this goes.

What I want to do with this RP is to follow a loose plot from beginning to end while allowing for players to have the freedom to do their own things and explore character relationships freely. In other words, I don’t have too many plans to do anything majorly epic in scale or stray from the school and those who attend it.

As this is just an interest check, I don’t want to go too in-depth exactly, but I’ll go through some of the basic ideas I have. First, some insight into how the school will work.

Characters would be divided based on their powers primarily. They would share generic classes (math, science, history, etc.) but each would have a dedicated professor who is adept in that specific kind of power, such as:

(More categories could be added in the future if needed)
  • Mind based (Telekinesis, Telepathy, Illusions, etc.)​
  • Physical based (Super strength/speed/athletics)​
  • Energy based (Projection of outward force, such as spiritual energy, fire, ice, etc.)​
  • Biology based (Toxins, diseases, blood, metal skin, animal physiology, powers that affect the biology of other humans/animals, etc.)​
  • Utility based (Anything that would involve interfacing with man-made technology or an expanded knowledge such as intellectual/mechanical/etc.)​
  • Reality based (Anything that manipulates or changes concepts of physics or our world, such as gravity, density, time, matter, etc.)​
  • Healing based (Anything that may fit another category but function mostly as a means of healing others)​

The purposes for this are more narrative-based than anything, as I actually would rather not focus too much on the actual classes part of the school. The reasoning for this being that it would divide characters often and muddle the timeline of events. Instead, I would rather focus on school exams, school holidays, field trips, and common hours.

Speaking of which, what kind of characters would I like to see? Well, I’ve decided on a few aspects of this. First of all, those who first discover their powers will commonly be between the ages 11 and 21, with those who discover their powers younger or older than that to be a rarity. For this reason, those who first attend the school could vary greatly in age and progress is not based on age or experience.

Those who first attend are put through an entrance exam that determines their level of control over their power. Generally, most have very little control or mastery of their power when they first begin, putting them at Grade E. Students progress from E to A based on how well they can control their power at its full extent. This means that one with powers could graduate at a much faster rate than another. Grade F is reserved for those who continually display no progress in controlling their power and usually present a danger to themselves or those around them as a result. Those who spend a long time at F have special action taken toward them.

Non-power based academics is treated similarly as it is in real American high schools and the grade based on your power control is a separate matter entirely. This means that those attending the school before they are 18 are at least restricted from graduating until they would have graduated from a regular high school (unless particularly adept at academics beyond the average student). However, students would still be restricted from graduating until they achieve a power control grade of A. The school offers college and university level academics for those made to attend past the age of 18, but there is a limit of 8 years of attendance before one is forced to graduate, barring major outliers. Those forced to graduate with power control grades between E and B would enter government-assisted programs outside of the school’s purview.

Okay, so, with all that out of the way, let me just go over the last matter, some lore and a rough timeline. I’ve decided to toss this down at the bottom as I feel it’s ultimately not very relevant to the RP, but it is integral nonetheless.
  • In 2019, there was a disturbance off the coast of the Atlantic Seaboard, later believed to be some kind of heavy explosion in the waters of the North Atlantic Ocean. It caused tidal waves to smash into the coasts of North and South America. What had been the cause was virtually unknown, but effects could be felt across the world.​
  • There were strange weather patterns for a time, but more pressing was that certain individuals started to develop superpowers. While first concentrated in Africa, Europe, and the Americas, it was clear that individuals all over the world had become changed.​
  • Using one’s power was described by those who did it as bringing forth something from within them, or guiding forth a piece of something greater. Due to the unique feeling those who had gained powers felt, the term “Courser” began to gain popularity in use for those who had powers.​
  • Individuals who could not control their powers ran rampant, causing destruction that led to fear and hatred from the masses. Coursers began to gather in groups, feeling ostracized from others, though this often led to disputes between groups of coursers over ideals or territory.​
  • Within six months, the American government was first to manufacture weapons designed to target Coursers. This technology started gaining use outside of America not long after, but in early 2020, the American government enacted a zero-tolerance ban of powers, dubbing those who could use them as “People Exhibiting Powers” or PEPs. Attempts to mass-detain PEPs led to widespread disputes, causing many PEPs to flee to safe havens.​
  • Courser terrorist groups gained some traction, but this caused large internal disputes between those with powers. In the end, it was Coursers who stopped their own kind from doing mass harm. This, combined with the revealed mistreatment of Coursers started to change mass opinion of PEPs.​
  • By 2023, federal laws had been modified that gave Coursers protection against hate crimes in many developed nations, all following one after another in quick succession. Many Coursers who happened to be in positions of power came out about their powers as a result. In 2024, government-mandated research started on discovering the origin of powers in America. Such research has been conducted across the world but the results are still largely inconclusive, with physical searches of the North Atlantic Ocean to be inconclusive as well.​
  • By 2026, there was a push in many countries for Coursers to be hired to specifically deal with Courser threats. In 2028, an eight-year old born after the incident that caused superpowers to awaken in people displayed a superpower ability, thus revealing that the course of humanity had been changed forever.​
  • With the knowledge that Coursers would continue to be born, there was a push to develop academies specifically for their kind. The first school in America dedicated to this cause was built in 2030, with others following. It soon became federal law in most developed countries that any individuals who developed powers at any age were to immediately attend a PEP boarding school until officially declared to be in full control of their powers.​
  • Jump forward to 2042, the year our RP will take place.​

The school where the RP will take place is called “Arthur Gray’s School of Power,” located in Seattle and named after a vigilante Courser who operated in the 2020’s but became nationally recognized in 2031 when he became a personal confidant to the current American president. It was thanks to Coursers like Arthur Gray that government-supervised “heroes” started to become more common. The school has been in operation for eight years and has not seen a wide variety of graduates as of yet.

In terms of society and the technological level of the setting, let’s be hopeful and say that things are generally a bit more progressive than in 2020 and that prejudice and human rights issues have switched to largely being about PEPs and regular humans. Technology will be a bit more advanced but let’s not go completely into the realm of science fiction. The school will be a “smart school,” in that the lighting, temperature, security, announcements, and features of the school are controlled remotely and often automated.

Coursers are a minority but largely a commonality for those born within the last twenty years. All Coursers that live in America are registered by the American government once discovered but some can apply to work for the government. Coursers in these positions could be comparable to a superhero team such as the “Avengers” and some are widely known to the public as “heroes.”

So, that’s that! Like I said, this is just an interest check so it’s largely for me to see if I would have the amount of interest in this as I would hope for. Feel free to lob any questions at me or perhaps provide insight of your own. Thank you for reading!​

I'd be willing to give this a shot, character would fall under time/teleport power based but cant travel back in time (outside of big plot because retconning stuff is a pain for all) due to Time travel needing big calculations to not get stuck/screw up, stuff like walls full of advanced equations for 1 planned jump and they are not ready for that

They would be able to move the clock back and forward keeping certain things in place on what they are targeting to speed up, slow down, age/regress etc. Maybe with limitation that taking time makes it younger, but means that time needs to be put elsewhere making it older.

I'd be willing to give this a shot, character would fall under time/teleport power based but cant travel back in time (outside of big plot because retconning stuff is a pain for all) due to Time travel needing big calculations to not get stuck/screw up, stuff like walls full of advanced equations for 1 planned jump and they are not ready for that

They would be able to move the clock back and forward keeping certain things in place on what they are targeting to speed up, slow down, age/regress etc. Maybe with limitation that taking time makes it younger, but means that time needs to be put elsewhere making it older.
Sounds pretty interesting as a concept, haha.

Without getting too into the thick of it in this thread, I think the basic idea is something we'd be cool with. Maybe if it was limited to objects specifically? Would be unique to play around with.
Is there a character limit per player?
We were thinking two with the possibility of more if things go smoothly.

I had an idea it would be possible to be used on people but far slower to make it have some utility purposes and tricks possible ie Healing. Like you would need several minutes to do something debilitating normally.

Sweet. I'm thinking of playing the student council president, and then a newer student, if that works? Drawn FCs ok?
All good here!

We'll probably have it so everyone has to play someone who is new to the school at the very least.
I had an idea it would be possible to be used on people but far slower to make it have some utility purposes and tricks possible ie Healing. Like you would need several minutes to do something debilitating normally.
Could slow down time in the sense their actions are slower too (Or vice versa).

Second character idea was planned on being a character with above human physical abilities but durability through the roof along with several phones like features/abilities such as an internet connection, wifi, making calls, and of course a multitasking/fast processing mind.

I'm interested. Have a pretty fun idea for a character designed with a specific type of teleportation power in mind.

I would like a quicksilver type either through just plain speed or time dilation abilities

Yeah the Time power crosses into Speed and Teleporting, but ill likely have them using it creatively for some unique effects with training....maybe starting with 1 or 2 tricks. Ill work on a CS whenever that page gets thrown up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back