• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern School of Power | Out-of-Character

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Yeah, we're basically giving the benefit of the doubt on the power. It has the potential to be abused but it will be obvious if that starts happening so it shouldn't be a problem.

There actually will be at least two other characters with similar powers so we'll see.

Alrighty, I don't see us getting any more sign-ups. We'll be starting the RP on Monday, April 13th. Unless the holiday is bad for people but this just works for our schedules.

Crow Crow

Okay, so your character is mostly on track, though I wanted to bring up the power for just a lil bit! It's pretty unique and out there, but I'm thinking it might be best to perhaps remove that part about turning other people into data, even if it's more for if she reaches higher power grades. Could run into some problems with that down the line.

What do you think Zenterfold Zenterfold ?

I think what could be interesting if the paper part of the power could actually be expanded upon and be the main focus. Something like paper manipulation and being able to fold on to paper without the needing a computer.

Crow Crow

Okay, so your character is mostly on track, though I wanted to bring up the power for just a lil bit! It's pretty unique and out there, but I'm thinking it might be best to perhaps remove that part about turning other people into data, even if it's more for if she reaches higher power grades. Could run into some problems with that down the line.

What do you think Zenterfold Zenterfold ?
I think what could be interesting if the paper part of the power could actually be expanded upon and be the main focus. Something like paper manipulation and being able to fold on to paper without the needing a computer.

Yeah, I figured that sending people into cyberspace could be a bit of an issue. That's been edited out.

A bit unsure on repurposing the power to focus on paper manipulation though, even if it does sound neat. Sounds a lot like someone that could work well with a heavy onmyoji motif. But thanks for the suggestion. The paper section was originally made as some type of situational weakness that she could still somewhat function on, as opposed to a fullon strength.

With the paper, it could be taken a few different ways. One could be able to flatten themselves into paper (razor sharp, dodging, stretching) or be able to fold on to paper and then be able to pass through artwork or paper in the vicinity.

Could be further expanded with paper manipulation, such as flying paper into locations and then essentially move rapidly across the paper as a means of quick moving. That could also tie into being able to take a stack of paper and form it into something large or create clothing out of it (like the digital thing you have).

Anyway, if you want to focus on the computer abilities instead, that's fine, I just am not sure if it wouldn't be mostly situational.

I mean I think that having paper powers wouldnt really suit their character with the personality they have as of currently.

Isnt that one of the pro heroes in MHA power? Forget his name.

Maybe he can convert things into data, and he can just barely work with paper because you can still represent information on paper?

Keep it to inorganic and let him Digistruct stuff like in borderlands?

Keep it to inorganic and let him Digistruct stuff like in borderlands?
The character already has a low-tier version of this. Going beyond this would likely be too much without a lot of limitations (Such as being only able to "store" a limited amount of objects digitally).

Anyway, no need to change the power entirely to a paper focus, I just figured it would be easier to balance. As it is, being able to possess hardware/software is fine and perhaps we can consider how it would interact with certain advanced technology in the future.

Last edited:
So as we inch closer to the beginning of the roleplay and I've recovered a bit from being sick there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask. I was initially going to hold off in case it came up during the topic but since this is more about general history of the world and knowledge most, if not all the characters would have I'll go ahead.

First, I'm curious about these anti-Courser weapons. Are they designed to restrain and capture them, or are they focused entirely on throwing out enough raw damage to eliminate them entirely? Are they meant to impact their abilities in some way that prevents them from being used or are they weapons in the traditional sense? Are they compact, or larger objects of war?

Second, I'm also wondering about the process by which Coursers are registered by the United States government. I'd imagine a lot of it is either through people revealing themselves through an incident during or shortly after their awakening, or general compliance with the law. Are there ways for individuals to be detected without outright displaying powers or admitting it, though? Have technology and science advanced to that point in the world? If so, have there been any sorts of alterations to society in order to accommodate this?

Last edited:
As for the Znti Courser stuff, maybe something like the Worm Series had? Powers fall into classifications with braintrusts developing counter tactics/equipment for that power classification?.

This would lead to some powers being a greater concern than others with difficulty to counter, impact if rogue etc. Ie if someone had a shape shifting one that could infiltrate a secure place there would be added protocols, same with anti-MC/telepathy training, and then some would be on constant watch.....ie if someone could create precious materials from nothing screwing economy, virus based power causing wide spread infection, time travel potentially screwing stuff etc

So as we inch closer to the beginning of the roleplay and I've recovered a bit from being sick there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask. I was initially going to hold off in case it came up during the topic but since this is more about general history of the world and knowledge most, if not all, the characters would have I'll go ahead.

First, I'm curious about these anti-Courser weapons. Are they designed to restrain and capture them, or are they focused entirely on throwing out enough raw damage to eliminate them entirely? Are they meant to impact their abilities in some way that prevents them from being used or are they weapons in the traditional sense? Are they compact, or larger objects of war?

Second, I'm also wondering about the process by which Coursers are registered by the United States government. I'd imagine a lot of it is either through people revealing themselves through an incident during or shortly after their awakening, or general compliance with the law. Are there ways for individuals to be detected without outright displaying powers or admitting it, though? Has technology and science advanced to that point in the world? If so, have there been any sorts of alterations to society in order to accommodate this?
Okay, let's see...

Anti-Courser weaponry is generally more mundane than one might imagine. There is very little in terms of weaponry that is effective against all Coursers and more just individual weaponry that might be tailored to combat certain powers. For example, someone wielding fire would combat them with standard personal protective equipment and weaponry adapted from anti-riot methods such as a water cannon. Of course, as this is the future, we can be a bit more loose with what this weaponry might be able to do, though what they were using in the early 2020s would have been not too unusual.

Non-lethal counters to powers are generally preferred, especially after public opinion on PEPs switched around. Coursers aren't generally more resilient than a regular human and present more of a problem if able to gather together, so weaponry that isolate Coursers would be most often seen.

Research into Coursers has revealed they all share a gene unique to them that was "activated" in 2019 but little has been found in terms of equipment that will literally suppress the powers of a Courser or "deactivate" the gene. However, sound equipment or ultrasonic weapons that emits harsh white noise or high-amplitude sounds would be the most common weaponry used simply as it be effective against most Coursers. This and more advanced weaponry in the same vein such as something that can shoot waves of force or sound would be highly regarded for its effectiveness and general low-risk of permanent harm as compared to standard firearms.

As for registration, generally most regular people have it pretty drilled into them that they must report unregistered PEPs to the government and currently there are few that feel otherwise, regardless of their political alignment. It is largely seen as the safest course of action for all involved due to how destructive some Coursers are. There is a test that detects the gene they possess (a blood test, generally) but in terms of current technology and resources, it is largely undetectable until puberty or, in a few cases, until someone outright starts exhibiting powers, which could be long after puberty. Regardless, children are encouraged to be tested around puberty but it is not mandatory in most states. This does catch some PEPs but many slip through until they actually develop their powers.

Of course, the test is still being developed and many groups have a vested interest in technology that will outright detect a Courser akin to a police scanner or a metal detector.

There exists Coursers who go rogue, have powers so minuscule they go unnoticed, or successfully hide their powers from others. Hiding your powers is not an easy task as it is common for powers to be uncontrollable without some level of use or practice. Anti-government PEPs and even terrorist PEPs have not fully been squashed but you would find few who think these Coursers are not outright villains.

As for the Znti Courser stuff, maybe something like the Worm Series had? Powers fall into classifications with braintrusts developing counter tactics/equipment for that power classification?.

This would lead to some powers being a greater concern than others with difficulty to counter, impact if rogue etc. Ie if someone had a shape shifting one that could infiltrate a secure place there would be added protocols, same with anti-MC/telepathy training, and then some would be on constant watch.....ie if someone could create precious materials from nothing screwing economy, virus based power causing wide spread infection, time travel potentially screwing stuff etc
Basically, this exactly, yeah.

Last edited:
Like a specific example with a shape changer of certain level involved "eyes on" Protocols with eac person keep a eye on two others while moving to prevent them slipping in.

Regarding that Imfo dump I had idea of Vetr being tested mainly due to military parents, then due to it being a power that could harm them if they didnt at least get basics under control. There was a bit more to it but felt would be better it coming out in RP depending if people react or question things.

Regarding that Imfo dump I had idea of Vetr being tested mainly due to military parents, then due to it being a power that could harm them if they didnt at least get basics under control. There was a bit more to it but felt would be better it coming out in RP depending if people react or question things.
Sounds like a good development.

Yep yep yep, we plan on starting around Monday!

Research into Coursers has revealed they all share a gene unique to them that was "activated" in 2019 but little has been found in terms of equipment that will literally suppress the powers of a Courser or "deactivate" the gene. However, sound equipment or ultrasonic weapons that emits harsh white noise or high-amplitude sounds would be the most common weaponry used simply as it be effective against most Coursers.
Off the top of my head, the only thing that can really "suppress" genetic information in humans is a kind of enzyme, which isn't impossible to produce but is difficult to introduce to an unwilling person and takes time to do its job. Perhaps there are coursers who intentionally take this enzyme as an alternative to a school?

Why is sound equipment generally considered effective? Is it because that's would be effective against anyone, or are coursers somehow more vulnerable? Although a blast of air pressure strong enough to legitimately subdue someone is almost guaranteed to cripple if not kill, if we take the forces involved compared to what the average person can withstand, since coursers aren't generally more durable

Off the top of my head, the only thing that can really "suppress" genetic information in humans is a kind of enzyme, which isn't impossible to produce but is difficult to introduce to an unwilling person and takes time to do its job. Perhaps there are coursers who intentionally take this enzyme as an alternative to a school?
Perhaps. It's something that is probably possible but as of now there is no easy or legal means of power suppression.

Why is sound equipment generally considered effective? Is it because that's would be effective against anyone, or are coursers somehow more vulnerable? Although a blast of air pressure strong enough to legitimately subdue someone is almost guaranteed to cripple if not kill, if we take the forces involved compared to what the average person can withstand, since coursers aren't generally more durable
Generally effective as it would be against anyone. Though, in addition, many Coursers produce their powers effectively through means of concentration and this largely disrupts that.

As for air pressure, I'm willing to say such weapons in the 2040s would have been fine-tuned to hurt rather than kill or that if they are attacking a Courser at all that they feel crippling them could be an unfortunate necessary. Though I actually originally ran with Coursers being naturally more durable than regular humans but felt there was maybe too much of a disparity between them and regular people as a result. Perhaps it is something we could roll with to a degree but I am not sure it is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back