• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern School of Power | Out-of-Character

Main
Here
Characters
Here

Verite

Endearing Misanthrope
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Welcome to the Out-Of-Character thread for “School of Power,” an RP set in an academy dedicated to teaching students who have superpowers.

School Information (Arthur Gray’s School of Power)

A link to the interest check thread here.

The school where the RP takes place is called “Arthur Gray’s School of Power,” located in Seattle and named after a vigilante hero who operated in the 2020’s but became nationally recognized in 2031 when he became a personal confidant to the current American president. It was thanks to people like Arthur Gray that government-supervised “heroes” started to become more common. The school has been in operation for eight years and has not seen a wide variety of graduates as of yet.

The school is a “smart school,” in that the lighting, temperature, security, announcements, and features of the school are controlled remotely and often automated.

Students are divided based on their powers primarily. They share generic classes (math, science, history, etc.) but each have a dedicated professor who is adept in that specific kind of power, which include:​

(More categories could be added in the future if needed)
  • Mind based (Telekinesis, Telepathy, Illusions, etc.)
  • Physical based (Super strength/speed/athletics)
  • Energy based (Projection of outward force, such as spiritual energy, fire, ice, etc.)
  • Biology based (Toxins, diseases, blood, metal skin, animal physiology, powers that affect the biology of other humans/animals, powers that affect or interface with the powers of others in some manner, etc.)
  • Utility based (Anything that would involve interfacing with man-made technology or an expanded knowledge such as intellectual/mechanical/etc.)
  • Reality based (Anything that manipulates or changes concepts of physics or our world, such as gravity, density, time, matter, etc.)
  • Healing based (Anything that may fit another category but function mostly as a means of healing others)

(Keep in mind that the actual classes are not the focus of the RP. Instead, focus is on school exams, school holidays, field trips, and common hours.)

Those who first discover their powers will commonly be between the ages 11 and 21, with those who discover their powers younger or older than that to be a rarity. For this reason, those who first attend the school could vary greatly in age and progress is not based on age or experience.

Those who first attend are put through an entrance exam that determines their level of control over their power. Generally, most have very little control or mastery of their power when they first begin, putting them at Grade E. Students progress from E to A based on how well they can control their power at its full extent. This means that one with powers could graduate at a much faster rate than another. Grade F is reserved for those who continually display no progress in controlling their power and usually present a danger to themselves or those around them as a result. Those who spend a long time at F have special action taken toward them.

Non-power based academics is treated similarly as it is in real American high schools and the grade based on your power control is a separate matter entirely. This means that those attending the school before they are 18 are at least restricted from graduating until they would have graduated from a regular high school (unless particularly adept at academics beyond the average student). However, students would still be restricted from graduating until they achieve a power control grade of A. The school offers college and university level academics for those made to attend past the age of 18, but there is a limit of 8 years of attendance before one is forced to graduate, barring major outliers. Those forced to graduate with power control grades between E and B would enter government-assisted programs outside of the school’s purview.

All students are encouraged to board at the academy but parents of minors can opt them out if they absolutely demand it. Boarding is rather cheap as the school is only semi-private. Dorms are separated by age brackets, these being 11-13, 14-17, 18-21, and 22+. Individuals who happen to be younger than 11 would have special requirements outside of this. Dorms are co-ed but separated into gendered sections with each sharing a common area and recreation room.

World Information / Lore
  • In 2019, there was a disturbance off the coast of the Atlantic Seaboard, later believed to be some kind of heavy explosion in the waters of the North Atlantic Ocean. It caused tidal waves to smash into the coasts of North and South America. What had been the cause was virtually unknown, but effects could be felt across the world.
  • There were strange weather patterns for a time, but more pressing was that certain individuals started to develop superpowers. While first concentrated in Africa, Europe, and the Americas, it was clear that individuals all over the world had become changed.
  • Using one’s power was described by those who did it as bringing forth something from within them, or guiding forth a piece of something greater. Due to the unique feeling those who had gained powers felt, the term “Courser” began to gain popularity in use for those who had powers.
  • Individuals who could not control their powers ran rampant, causing destruction that led to fear and hatred from the masses. Coursers began to gather in groups, feeling ostracized from others, though this often led to disputes between groups of coursers over ideals or territory.
  • Within six months, the American government was first to manufacture weapons designed to target Coursers. This technology started gaining use outside of America not long after, but in early 2020, the American government enacted a zero-tolerance ban of powers, dubbing those who could use them as “People Exhibiting Powers” or PEPs. Attempts to mass-detain PEPs led to widespread disputes, causing many PEPs to flee to safe havens.
  • Courser terrorist groups gained some traction, but this caused large internal disputes between those with powers. In the end, it was Coursers who stopped their own kind from doing mass harm. This, combined with the revealed mistreatment of Coursers started to change mass opinion of PEPs.
  • By 2023, federal laws had been modified that gave Coursers protection against hate crimes in many developed nations, all following one after another in quick succession. Many Coursers who happened to be in positions of power came out about their powers as a result. In 2024, government-mandated research started on discovering the origin of powers in America. Such research has been conducted across the world but the results are still largely inconclusive, with physical searches of the North Atlantic Ocean to be inconclusive as well.
  • By 2026, there was a push in many countries for Coursers to be hired to specifically deal with Courser threats. In 2028, an eight-year old born after the incident that caused superpowers to awaken in people displayed a superpower ability, thus revealing that the course of humanity had been changed forever.
  • With the knowledge that Coursers would continue to be born, there was a push to develop academies specifically for their kind. The first school in America dedicated to this cause was built in 2030, with others following. It soon became federal law in most developed countries that any individuals who developed powers at any age were to immediately attend a PEP boarding school until officially declared to be in full control of their powers.
  • Jump forward to 2042, the year our RP will take place.

In terms of society and the technological level of the setting, let’s be hopeful and say that things are generally a bit more progressive than in 2020 and that prejudice and human rights issues have switched to largely being about PEPs and regular humans. Technology will be a bit more advanced but let’s not go completely into the realm of science fiction.

Coursers are a minority but largely a commonality for those born within the last twenty years. All Coursers that live in America are registered by the American government once discovered but some can apply to work for the government. Coursers in these positions could be comparable to a superhero team such as the “Avengers” and some are widely known to the public as “heroes.”

That's the extent of the lore, at least, so I won't be making a whole other tab for just this blurb. If you have any further questions, absolutely feel free to consult myself and Zenterfold Zenterfold !​

Last edited:
All that aside, hi hi, welcome to the OOC and the RP! Let's have a swell time together! I'd post an endearing gif of someone waving or giving jazz hands, but alas, I couldn't make it work.

Could you clarify what "Action taken against them" is for F's?

hi hi, i'd give you a high five but i'm incapable of sending my hand through the monitor.

Could you clarify what "Action taken against them" is for F's?
It generally does not happen often and the school is new enough that it's rather unprecedented. The official word by the school is that the student either receives some sort of reprimand or they are sent off to special programs outside of the academy for extra training.

Hallo, glad this began moving!

On the CS, in the section labeled Power, you asked 'What are their powers', the plural form. Are we supposed to have multiple powers or progress and develop new abilities throughout the game?

Ok posted a CS, The power would have various levels to its effects such as the range, magnitude, duration and speed on top of the various new uses they could learn.

Hallo, glad this began moving!

On the CS, in the section labeled Power, you asked 'What are their powers', the plural form. Are we supposed to have multiple powers or progress and develop new abilities throughout the game?
Generally we're looking for a single power but you can provide a set as long as they are related in theme or design, then that's all right. As long as you can provide reasoning for how the different aspects of the character's power would work together then that should be good. Two wholly unrelated powers, such as being able to jump incredibly high and the ability to eat anything, would not be as suitable.

Speaking of which, generally the characters should progress in their powers in terms of their ability to use the powers effectively or without drawbacks but you may develop new aspects of that power as they progress.

Oh! I just realized, we completely forgot to talk about the boarding arrangements. We'll add this to the information above but essentially, all students are encouraged to board at the academy but parents of minors can opt them out if they absolutely demand it. Boarding is rather cheap as the school is only semi-private. Dorms are separated by age brackets, these being 11-13, 14-17, 18-21, and 22+. Individuals who happen to be younger than 11 would have special requirements outside of this.

Dorms are co-ed but separated into gendered sections with each sharing a common area and recreation room.

PlusUltra PlusUltra The sheet looks all good! Obviously given the potential strength of the power to keep in mind the limitations and drawbacks she should have with a grade of E through B.

Though, question, can you explain your reasoning for giving her D to start off with? Is it due to the inherent complications of the power?
Would anti matter based powers be okay?
Depends on the implementation. What were you thinking?

well for one not going boom but more like customization matter by generating and controlling it altering how it functions and stuff

kind of though thats more construct based but if you think of how the lanterns can make their light hard soft hot cold alter what it can and can''t do you get the idea

The Idea of D is due to how Complex the power is to use correctly, like you need to account for earths orbit and rotation even for simple jumps.

I can tone it down if you want though, a example of the time part of it would be Number Five from Umbrella Academy, ie several walls of formula and equations to figure out certain parts.

hey! i was wondering if i could maybe do emotional manipulation paired with empathy? i was thinking at first it might present as just empathy and as control gets better and better so does the ability to make other people feel things they wouldnt otherwise :x

kind of though thats more construct based but if you think of how the lanterns can make their light hard soft hot cold alter what it can and can''t do you get the idea
I think what you're describing could work, yeah.

The Idea of D is due to how Complex the power is to use correctly, like you need to account for earths orbit and rotation even for simple jumps.

I can tone it down if you want though, a example of the time part of it would be Number Five from Umbrella Academy, ie several walls of formula and equations to figure out certain parts.
I think it's fine, I more just wanted to see your reasoning for the grade, haha. Time can be tricky in an RP so we'll just have to be mindful of it.

hey! i was wondering if i could maybe do emotional manipulation paired with empathy? i was thinking at first it might present as just empathy and as control gets better and better so does the ability to make other people feel things they wouldnt otherwise :x
I don't see anything wrong with the idea, go for it.

Yeah, going to past is a no outside a arranged big event due to potential retcons it could cause

BippityBoppityBoop BippityBoppityBoop The sheet is looking good! Looks like you have a good goal in mind for potential future of the power.

Slav Slav The ability could potentially be pretty powerful. Do emphasize the drawbacks and strain from the power while at E during the RP. Everything looks good though!

Peckinou Peckinou We already talked about the power but it looks good. Good job on making up descriptions at each letter grade!

Does basically just water control, with the drawback that it takes blood from the person each time they use it sound interesting, or should I try something else?

Would that be too powerful, since something like suddenly there’s no blood in your heart or no blood going to your brain seems a bit lethal? I guess if they couldn’t control it enough to be able to do that it would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back