• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom RWBY - Turn To Dust

[QUOTE="Veirrianna Valentine]Ahhhh, okay, much better. Alrighty, if you could just put that on the sheet then it'll be good. I was over here thinking we'd all be turning into a Yule light display xD

[/QUOTE]
"Alright everyone on the roof, its christmas time!" xD

Yea, ill fix that.

[QUOTE="Cruor Flumine]"Alright everyone on the roof, its christmas time!" xD
Yea, ill fix that.

[/QUOTE]
That would be freaking hilarious though.

Good god. A number of characters doe.

I'm honestly baffled. I just read through everyone's character sheets and I feel so suffocated

So yeah, *ahem* is this still open or something? 'Cause I'm really interested in this but I understand if it's too many characters for just moderating.

[QUOTE="Kiyoko Tomoe]You have to keep in mind though, that this isn't the show. There are rules here unlike in the show, because those characters are professional badasses while we're RPers who need rules to keep a flowing RP. I'd say that at most you can let one person be able to pass in and out at a time, but have to be consciously putting effort into it as that person passes through. At least for now, as I so have plans for growth in abilities throughout the RP. Would that be a good compromise, seeing as it's not a permanent limitation given everybody develops more control as things progress?

[/QUOTE]
Although, the show is following mostly students. And most of them aren't the best there is, they're just good at it. To say we're not allowed to be at least capable of making experienced because we're not the characters in the show, even though this is based in the same universe with the same rules...that doesn't make much sense to me.

[QUOTE="Kalin Scarlet]Although, the show is following mostly students. And most of them aren't the best there is, they're just good at it. To say we're not allowed to be at least capable of making experienced because we're not the characters in the show, even though this is based in the same universe with the same rules...that doesn't make much sense to me.

[/QUOTE]
In the show the reason many of the characters are so strong and powerful is so that they can go toe to toe with the badguys in the show and not be wiped across the floor, such as what happened with Yang against Neo, or Coco and Yakahashi in the tournament. How interesting would the show have been if Ruby got wiped out in the first episode?

It is the dynamic of most programmes that keep the main named characters from losing too often because they are supposed to be the winners and the main characters. That's fine for a tellie programme or film.

It wouldn't be fine here. In the series there are maybe three or four main named teams in so far that they really focus on, RWBY, SSSN, JNPR and Penny's 'team'. One could argue that they do a bit with CFVY, bit that's iffy.

So looking at the roster, we'd be picking out four out of roughly ten teams in RP to be the main characters if we did what the series was doing, which would not be fair at all.

Or we could do what we're doing here and making the roleplay more realistic in the sense that since we are all students, we aren't going to be as strong and powerful as the main characters of the show, which forces us to be more cooperative and work as functional teams. Having our character set up in such a way may give them weaknesses, but this isn't a bad thing. No actually it's one of the best tools for writing. The weaker a character is, yet given reason to stand against adversity, gives them more reason to grow and become stronger.

Take Kelli Mason. His parents both taller than six feet, and impressive antlers. Then there's him. Manlet, looks like a girl, doesn't like to fight and is physically frail and social defunct, yet insistent on becoming a combat field medic, so here he is. That's character right there, and that's what we want to see, not just clones of already powerful characters, because those stories already seem played out.

Does that make sense?

@arcaneSentinel @GasMaskie @ModernRanger

Think I've got a team idea iffen you're all down for it.

Team QSZS! Wondering how in the nine circles of hell that makes a colour?! Wonder no longer, for I have the explanation!

IT'S TEAM SEAS!(Like the sea =P [The Q is silent lol])

But on a serious note, yea, team QSZS, though I'm not sure who we'd have as the leader quite yet, but the idea stuck in my head so I figured I'd post it.

We'd have Quiet, who tends to play a control support, Roy who focuses on strategy, Zeke focuses on combat strength and Damien also seems to have the analytical 'control support' set up. Quiet is outspoken(the irony there, right?) and friendly, Roy is a very stand up, friendly good guy, Zeke definitely comes off as a follower, as it's directly stated in his personality an finally we have Damien, who is very concise and quiet.

Picking a leader from the group is an obvious need iffen you're down for this idea, and here are my thoughts on each character.

Quiet could definitely play a leader, and her 'on the move' attitude mixed with her dancing through the battlefield would allow her to get around quickly while aiding whoever needed the most support at any given time. Further more with her Semblance she could whisper things to her allies that the enemy would never be able to hear, giving significant strategic value. That said, Quiet is not the most cunning strategist, and usually runs on what feels right for herself. This could easily be a detriment to others, especially if she got caught up in her music and stopped giving orders.

Roy is a very upstanding individual, and as both a strategist and a protector for his team, he'd make an outstanding leader, seeming like he'd try to keep them together fight at each other's sides so that, if needed he can lend them his protection. He seems like he would work them like a precise, fine tooled machine. The downsides is that in keeping them together they become a singular target, and he could wear himself out always trying to protect 'his team', making him more of a liability than an aid.

Zeke, as leader, would undergo a fairly decent amount of character development, and it would force him to recognise that his life does, in fact, matter quite a bit. The downside is that with his inability to acknowledge his fear, he could very easily accidentally run his whole team into a bad situation. Honestly GasMaskie, I think it was intentional, but you did not make a good leader candidate xD

Finally we have Damian. Probably coming off as a similar character to Weiss, or even Winter, Damian is serious and goes for the win. Cunning and shrewd by the sounds of things, he aims to ensure his team become the best, and in dire times seems to be able to figure out exactly what to do to pull them through. On the converse, his goals seem self-serving, and he's noted as stand-offish, which could have him at odds with his team at times.

Anyway, my thoughts on the matter if a team sounds good, how about you guys?

Dang, Val. You're exactly what this thread needed ^-^

Any ideas for Chieko Iwamura? :o

I'm still open to name changes, if we really need a specific letter somewhere, but I'd need time to make a new name for it.

@Veirrianna Valentine

Pinkalyn said:
Dang, Val. You're exactly what this thread needed ^-^
Any ideas for Chieko Iwamura? :o

I'm still open to name changes, if we really need a specific letter somewhere, but I'd need time to make a new name for it.

@Veirrianna Valentine
Just got lotsa time on my hands is all xD

[QUOTE="Veirrianna Valentine]In the show the reason many of the characters are so strong and powerful is so that they can go toe to toe with the badguys in the show and not be wiped across the floor, such as what happened with Yang against Neo, or Coco and Yakahashi in the tournament. How interesting would the show have been if Ruby got wiped out in the first episode?
It is the dynamic of most programmes that keep the main named characters from losing too often because they are supposed to be the winners and the main characters. That's fine for a tellie programme or film.

It wouldn't be fine here. In the series there are maybe three or four main named teams in so far that they really focus on, RWBY, SSSN, JNPR and Penny's 'team'. One could argue that they do a bit with CFVY, bit that's iffy.

So looking at the roster, we'd be picking out four out of roughly ten teams in RP to be the main characters if we did what the series was doing, which would not be fair at all.

Or we could do what we're doing here and making the roleplay more realistic in the sense that since we are all students, we aren't going to be as strong and powerful as the main characters of the show, which forces us to be more cooperative and work as functional teams. Having our character set up in such a way may give them weaknesses, but this isn't a bad thing. No actually it's one of the best tools for writing. The weaker a character is, yet given reason to stand against adversity, gives them more reason to grow and become stronger.

Take Kelli Mason. His parents both taller than six feet, and impressive antlers. Then there's him. Manlet, looks like a girl, doesn't like to fight and is physically frail and social defunct, yet insistent on becoming a combat field medic, so here he is. That's character right there, and that's what we want to see, not just clones of already powerful characters, because those stories already seem played out.

Does that make sense?

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it makes sense. I understand that train of thought(and make use of it whenever the story doesn't call for a bona-fide badass). And so long as there is room for everyone to improve, its fine.

[QUOTE="Kalin Scarlet]Yeah, it makes sense. I understand that train of thought(and make use of it whenever the story doesn't call for a bona-fide badass). And so long as there is room for everyone to improve, its fine.

[/QUOTE]
Well I hope there's room for improvement, Kelli's certainly going to have to stop hiding behind everyone else eventually xD

Holy shit @Veirrianna Valentine. You sure as hell got busy. I really love how you got the characters' pros and cons. I personally think that Roy and Quiet might make the best candidates for team captain. I just really hope that I don't sound selfish for saying that about my own character.

On another note, your team name idea is really funny. I have another idea for how the name would be pronounced. I think it could also be pronounced team Keys. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
arcaneSentinel said:
Holy shit @Veirrianna Valentine. You sure as hell got busy. I really love how you got the characters' pros and cons. I personally think that Roy and Quiet might make the best candidates for team captain. I just really hope that I don't sound elfish for saying that about my own character.
Well I figure we find out if GasMaskie wants to be part of the team, and then we go from there and get the full team's thoughts on the matter.

arcaneSentinel said:
Holy shit @Veirrianna Valentine. You sure as hell got busy. I really love how you got the characters' pros and cons. I personally think that Roy and Quiet might make the best candidates for team captain. I just really hope that I don't sound elfish for saying that about my own character.
On another note, your team name idea is really funny. I have another idea for how the name would be pronounced. I think it could also be pronounced team Keys. What do you think?
To be fair, a leader does need to be confident in their own ability and right to lead. Nominating yourself doesn't make you selfish :P

Pinkalyn said:
To be fair, a leader does need to be confident in their own ability and right to lead. Nominating yourself doesn't make you selfish :P
I dunno, Ruby just about wet herself when she got listed as leader xD

[QUOTE="Veirrianna Valentine]I dunno, Ruby just about wet herself when she got listed as leader xD

[/QUOTE]
She almost peed herself? Must have been all that milk.

Anyway, Weiss and I have the player list set up in a PM and we're starting to look into the teams that can be set up. Hopefully we're going to have this sorted soon, and then we can focus on the 'entrance examinations'.

[QUOTE="Veirrianna Valentine]Anyway, Weiss and I have the player list set up in a PM and we're starting to look into the teams that can be set up. Hopefully we're going to have this sorted soon, and then we can focus on the 'entrance examinations'.

[/QUOTE]
I love that nickname

[QUOTE="Veirrianna Valentine]Okay, so to lay it out, the main issue that was taken up with the original semblance, aside from it's size, was that the ability to constantly control who gets in and out would be a massive leap, and here's why.
It's shown in show that the semblance seems to directly tie in to your physical endurance, your willpower, and your mental endurance, and that if you use a straining semblance for too long, and are too fatigued, it will backfire and wear you out. If Nora was constantly struck by lightning, she no doubt would eventually overload like any power converter would, if Yang tried to run her semblance too long she would eventually take too much physical damage. Even the characters in the show have their general limits and the like.

Now going into your shield, I honestly love the idea, and it would make for a great supporting use, especially going up against a heavier force. But lets say that eight people are trying to get in at the same time, and another four are going out. That's twelve people in total taxing you characters mind to keep up with memorising their specific auras, recognising them to be the ones at the shield, and choosing whether or not to let them in. Furthermore, that's not even going in to whether or not you're shield is under fire or attack at the time, and over all that would be a lot of stress to put on a character at any given time, especially since the Semblances in show seem to draw specifically from a single range first and foremost(Mental power, willpower or physical power[your primary draw sources]) while this would seem to draw of both mental and physical primarily.

Now you mentioned the Gungan shield, right?

So here's my thoughts on this. Why don't we roll with that, and anything high velocity(sprinting people, fast swung or throw items, projectiles etcetera) is kept out, while low velocity things(people walking in and the like) is good.

That leaves the healing factor. It's already been shown that someone's aura can be projected(through physical touch) to help others. I would say that your character could not only be skilled in this, but the shield could act as an extension of your 'touch' for those inside of it. Now going back to what I was saying earlier about running more than one 'primary draw source', if anyone gets into the shield they'd become affected too, friend or foe, because their in your touch.

The other option is that you can extend your aura without physical touch, but relegate it to one to two people at a time to keep it from being too over-powered.

The main reason for this is because you should keep in mind that you're running a shield, while healing people, while possibly being under attack yourself. It's a lot going on all at once for anyone to handle.

Besides, while Pyrrha can control when she uses her semblance, she also isn't using it to stop large groups of robots or destabilise mag-trains. She's usually just using it to aid her in dodging attacks that she's already got a knack for avoiding from basic training.

Next we come back to the size aspect.

I would say you can run your shield at 3, 4, or 5 metres in size, but the larger it is, the more it draws on your character and the less time you have to keep it going, given the range from roughly ten to sixteen feet and all.

TL;DR- I like the high velocity protection idea for it, and while I agree that there has been training with semblances already, we are still students so relegating the size to 3-5 metres would be best, and picking either to have the shield revitalise everyone inside, or to be able to expand your aura to up to two others right now to aid them would be the most balanced way to make you character at this given time period in their lives. Remember, they aren't true blue huntsmen yet, but they eventually will be.

[/QUOTE]
Actually it's never once shown that there's any actual limit on semblance. There isn't even one single example of a user using their semblance so much that it drains them and they can't use it anymore. Literally not even one single example. It's a possibility, sure, but anything's possible. There's nothing to suggest that that is how it works.

As for the twelve people bit, that's the thing, you're looking at it the wrong way. She isn't memorizing auras or anything, she isn't constantly updating what can come in and come out. Think of it like some fingerprint scanner on a door. Once you're registered that's it, it's a one-time thing until it's changed. It's the exact same principle for the barrier, she tells it "this guy is cool, he can pass freely" and that's it. It's a one-time thing. After she does that that guy can run back and forth between the barrier a hundred times a second and it doesn't matter because he's already registered in the system. The barrier's "default" setting is to keep everyone and everything except her out of it. So all she has to do is make exceptions. Now if it was actually under attack, that would actively drain her. It takes no real effort to let things pass through it, why would it? She's not stopping them or anything. In physics it doesn't exactly take much energy to NOT stop something after all. But if the barrier is actively stopping things, that does take energy and that, in turn, drains her.

So basically she'd have to put a little energy any time she altered the barrier's "programming" to allow someone access, and she'd have to put in energy whenever it came under attack or otherwise stopped an object. If it's just sitting there not doing anything, it doesn't drain really any energy. At that point it's more like a passive ability. I mean, it'll always drain a little, you can't have something from nothing. So it's not like she could leave it up permanently. But in the context of a single battle the amount required to just keep it up and not have it do anything is negligible.

The biggest issue, and really the only reason I'm even arguing, is that I'm not being allowed any form of control. Literally the only thing I'd be allowed to do with this semblance is place it. The limitations imposed on letting people pass through would basically mean my character just sits inside the dome and does fuck all the entire fight, and that's not fun. But then if enemies can freely pass through that makes it beyond useless because it benefits the enemy as much as your allies and so I'd never even use it to begin with.

Basically, one of two things HAS to be allowed otherwise I'll just change my semblance to something else. Either I can freely control who's allowed to pass through without being forced to sit around twiddling my thumbs (I.E. my original idea). Or I'm allowed to control who benefits from the healing factor. If I can't have at least one of those then I'm just going to change it. I have no need for a semblance that helps my opponents as much as my teammates after all rofl. Nor do I want a semblance I have literally no control over.

Colt556 said:
Actually it's never once shown that there's any actual limit on semblance. There isn't even one single example of a user using their semblance so much that it drains them and they can't use it anymore. Literally not even one single example. It's a possibility, sure, but anything's possible. There's nothing to suggest that that is how it works.
As for the twelve people bit, that's the thing, you're looking at it the wrong way. She isn't memorizing auras or anything, she isn't constantly updating what can come in and come out. Think of it like some fingerprint scanner on a door. Once you're registered that's it, it's a one-time thing until it's changed. It's the exact same principle for the barrier, she tells it "this guy is cool, he can pass freely" and that's it. It's a one-time thing. After she does that that guy can run back and forth between the barrier a hundred times a second and it doesn't matter because he's already registered in the system. The barrier's "default" setting is to keep everyone and everything except her out of it. So all she has to do is make exceptions. Now if it was actually under attack, that would actively drain her. It takes no real effort to let things pass through it, why would it? She's not stopping them or anything. In physics it doesn't exactly take much energy to NOT stop something after all. But if the barrier is actively stopping things, that does take energy and that, in turn, drains her.

So basically she'd have to put a little energy any time she altered the barrier's "programming" to allow someone access, and she'd have to put in energy whenever it came under attack or otherwise stopped an object. If it's just sitting there not doing anything, it doesn't drain really any energy. At that point it's more like a passive ability. I mean, it'll always drain a little, you can't have something from nothing. So it's not like she could leave it up permanently. But in the context of a single battle the amount required to just keep it up and not have it do anything is negligible.

The biggest issue, and really the only reason I'm even arguing, is that I'm not being allowed any form of control. Literally the only thing I'd be allowed to do with this semblance is place it. The limitations imposed on letting people pass through would basically mean my character just sits inside the dome and does fuck all the entire fight, and that's not fun. But then if enemies can freely pass through that makes it beyond useless because it benefits the enemy as much as your allies and so I'd never even use it to begin with.

Basically, one of two things HAS to be allowed otherwise I'll just change my semblance to something else. Either I can freely control who's allowed to pass through without being forced to sit around twiddling my thumbs (I.E. my original idea). Or I'm allowed to control who benefits from the healing factor. If I can't have at least one of those then I'm just going to change it. I have no need for a semblance that helps my opponents as much as my teammates after all rofl. Nor do I want a semblance I have literally no control over.
...I'm going to say this now: Both sides have valid points. On the one hand, a healing barrier could be overpowered against certain enemies. On the other hand though, the semblances in the show do tend to be flexible, such as Nora's allowing her to absorb any type of electricity, or Blake's shadow clones being able to take on elemental properties when utilized with Dust.

So, I'd like to propose a compromise between you two: The barrier could have a set amount of energy, instead of being reinforceable, and allowing someone access would make her out of breath, instead of using up her Aura. Letting in several people within a short period of time could be exhausting to Colt's character. In exchange, she'd be able to let in who she wants, and can move outside of its area in influence, as well as being more resistant to more wide-spread attacks, such as unloading an SMG into it, by diverting the impact over the whole surface.

Also, I'm thinking that if there are ever enemies who have an illusion semblance, they could trick her and get into the barrier.

What do you think???

Colt556 said:

You didn't directly address anything I posted, not even the 'gungan' shield idea that you stated first.

It was never stated you'd be twiddling your thumbs doing nothing either.

From what you've stated you want a shield that heals people, but the only thing that draws from your strength is if it gets hit that only lets certain people in but not others. That's blatantly overpowered in the hands of a student who isn't an official huntress.

And if limits aren't in place in any shape or form in canon, then why doesn't Nora walk around with a car battery jack on her hip, or then there's the fact that the exhausted Yang totally activated her fount of theretically possible never ending aura and beat Neo into a pulp. There was also a perfectly viable alternative option for healing people that meant the shield wouldn't be healing enemies, but again, you ignored every attempt to work together to come to an agreement. Instead of exploring alternatives, even when good ones are offered, you've petulantly stuck to your original idea, demanding you have it.

I have very glaringly been working as a mediator for these things, trying to work in everyone's best interests, and at this point your choice to ignore any attempt to compromise has irritated even myself, which is saying something.

Also, regardless of dust used, @Shaded Skies , even Blake's alternate clones, such as the the cement/stone one, completely disappeared. This could be given to the animation, but more than like owes back to the fact that there is a limit. If there wasn't, why not just summon armies of guardians, or one constant guardian at all times? Why not just make statues from clones? Because they don;t last, because the semblance is an extension of their aura ACCORDING TO CANON and aura, also according to canon has a level amount that can be taken down during fights, such as in the Vytal Festival with the following being taken straight from the official wikia.

"Overuse of one's Semblance for prolonged periods may adversely affect its user at certain times. This was demonstrated by Weiss on one occasion after using a series of glyphs in rapid succession to assist Ruby, subsequently collapsing afterwards."- Semblance

That's your completely canon proof by the way, clearly stating that you have been, up to this point, adamant at not changing at all, and even furthermore blatantly ignoring the amount that a healing(drains from aura), lasting(drains from aura), shield taking attacks(drains from aura) while still moving about and fighting, while possibly taking attacks(which would also, canonically drain from your aura).

It is literally infeasible as of so far for the standard person to do that much, as we have no canonical proof they can save for one of the Seasons, which I'm fairly sure we won't be using.

So we can finally decide to compromise, or at this point you can take your character elsewhere, because you have been given numerous attempts to reform an overpowered skill at this point whilst constantly ignoring the amount of strain it would put on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back