Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: September 2022

EzzUo64.jpg

The world's oceans are vast, dark, cold, and empty. An environment representing the very definition of loneliness and despair, and yet the gentle leviathans we know of as Whales live their entire lives within the ocean depths, singing songs to each other across the vast expanse. Keeping each other company in an otherwise impossibly isolating existence.

Music is, as with whales, a form of communication that is unique to us in that it doesn't need to be understood to be effective. The very idea of music is one which can fill our hearts, spill from our eyes, and rise up in our fists.

Music reaches you in a way so unique that it's nearly indescribable. Pure emotion, be it pain, anguish, joy, fear, euphoria, love, solidarity, anger, sadness, calm, determination, and any other emotion, idea, or feeling that exists.

We shape it and it shapes us. Music is something that like everyone of us, has an infinite potential, a sound that bellows loudest in the silence. Connecting humanity across both space and time.

So I pass the question off to you dear reader; What does music mean to you? What is one of the most powerful moments in your life that music has provided?

🎼 ANNOUNCEMENTS

Site Resources:
πŸ†• Newest Patreon Tier: Galaxy
At the request of several of our Patreon donors, we have added a new Patreon tier: Galaxy, at $100/month. This will grant the new Galaxy Key medal as well as "Beta" access to dev diaries, polls, and discussions about new features, previews, etc., as well as other things to be released to this tier in the future.​

🎻 Badge Resolution Change
The resolution of the badges have been increased to upgrade its overall quality.​

πŸ‹ Official RpNation Merchandise
We heard you! Our merchandise store offers t-shirts perfect for all weather! There are multiple styles to choose from. Shop now! and check all we have in store!​

Site News:
🎸 Looking for Badge Helpers!
Calling all artist! RpNation's Helper team is looking for more dedicated people to aid with the creation of site badges. Interested in helping Staff? Click this link and apply today!​
Patch Notes:
πŸ₯ Interest Checks and Disabling Accounts
Is your interest check closed, not looking for members, or want to revamp? Members can now delete their interest check without needing to contact Staff! Moreover, members can disable their account! For more information, click here.​

πŸͺ• Distress & Crisis Resources
RpNation now provides a Distress & Crisis Resource thread for your needs. Click here to learn more.
πŸͺ— Profile Update: Roleplaying Preferences
Site users are now able to edit their profile to show their roleplay availability and preferences.​

🎢 ROLEPLAY OF THE MONTH

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
I just really enjoy group RP's, especially if they involve a bunch of original characters thrown into some fantastical epic adventure. I like the camaraderie and 'found family' vibes, and you get to meet lots of players out of character too.​

I'm taking inspiration from some of my favourite games for this RP, such as Dragon Age, Skyrim, Witcher and Monster Hunter Rise (to name but a few), so if you're a fan of these, I'm sure you'll like The Hunter's Inn.​

What has made your roleplay successful?
I think it's mostly due to the enthusiasm and creativity of everyone involved. The plot is pretty simple and it's quite laid back when it comes to character creation, word count and who can join (everyone's welcome). We've started world building and adding some lore, but it's pretty much an open canvas that everyone in the group is welcome to contribute to. I've had plenty of quest and monster encounter suggestions, and if you're up for hosting a quest, this can be arranged too.​

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
I'm very dedicated as a DM, and I have plenty of free time to play NPCs and keep the plot moving, but without players (and their characters) you don't really have an RP, so it's important to be welcoming and interact with anyone who expresses an interest or has questions about your project.​

Tell me a little bit about your roleplay.
The role play is set in (fantasy) medieval times, and takes place at The Hunter’s Inn - home to a guild of Monster Hunters.​

Your character is a Hunter (Rookies & veterans welcome) who can team up with other characters to set out on epic (and sometimes silly) quests.​

For it being open for a month, has it surpassed expectations you had for it?
I was very surprised how many messages and replies I received on the RPs recruitment thread. I hoped at least a couple of people would be interested, but we have just over thirty Hunters now - including a few antagonists.​

Now, I want to look more on the imaginative side. If you had the choice to adapt your roleplay into a different medium which would it be; comic book, novel series, TV show, movie, or video game? And why?
Perhaps a massively multiplayer online rpg game. Your character rises in rank and earns gold for completing quests, and the way you can pause your character (put them to bed) if you don’t have much time to rp, could even be how you logout.​

How did you start roleplaying? How did you discover RpNation?
I started role playing back in my teens, but I had to take a long break during my uni years. In 2020 I randomly joined an RP on a comic creators forum, which got me back into it and eventually led me to finding RpNation.​

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
My fondest memories are of all the friends I’ve made OOC. I enjoy chatting, exchanging silly memes, and plotting future RP plots together.​

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in? What stood out?
My favourite RP so far has been a world-hopping adventure, where the participants took it turns being the DM and hosting a world. The settings ranged from medieval fantasy battles, to runaway Steampunk trains, and even a floating city with a β€˜New York in the 1920’s’ theme.​

What do you think makes a "good" roleplay?
An interesting yet simple plot that prioritises the characters. I usually look for RPs that I can jump straight into without having to study a few chonky tomes of lore first.​

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
Give your RP partener/s something to work with. Have your character approach others, get them to ask questions, and delve into those tragic backstories that your partner/s are dying to share.​

Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?
I’m invested in the Hunter’s Inn, but in the future I would like to host a Mysterious Island RP. Characters would randomly wash up on its shores, and have to work together to survive and fight off some of the islands more… monstrous inhabitants.​

For the shoutout I’d love to mention a few members who’ve been really helpful and shown so much enthusiasm for The Hunter’s Inn:

🎡 MEMBER OF THE MONTH

When did you start roleplaying? Where was it? Did you enjoy it at first?
I first started roleplaying on a website called NSider2 in 2009, a fantastic Nintendo forum that whittled itself away into nothing and faded into obscurity. A fellow writer got me into colosseum and save-the-world adventure roleplays. While I stomach swelled with butterflies in the new, collaborative environment, I was hooked.​

How did you discover RpNation?
A group of friends and I, all roleplayers, migrated to this site upon the collapse of a great star website that lost most of its community. Finding RPNation as a first pick, we set off on building the second roleplay we aimed to complete.​

What are your favorite genres/settings to roleplay in?
My favourite genres have changed in minute ways over the years. After delving into every possible kind of story, I still drift toward sci-fi / fantasy adventure and test the limits of my creativity. The adventure is not always one where one saves the world or beats a big bad, though who can resist putting a meanie back in his place?​

Are you excited about any books, shows, or other related elements of media? What are they?
For modern works present or upcoming, two come to mind: 1.) Dune: Part One (movie) and 2.) Hollow Knight: Silksong (video game). I have always been a huge fan of the Dune universe, and seeing a more faithful adaptation of the original Dune book felt amazing. I look forward to Part Two. Hollow Knight has been a recent adoration of mine. The anticipation of the sequel Silksong has weighted my mind for a while, and I am excited to see what it will be like after the latest trailer.​

What is your favorite animal? Why?
I never really thought about this seriously. Probably an owl for their silence, mystique, study, and playfulness. I aspire for all these traits. Someday. Someday.​

What era would you want to be born in and why?
A realm of magic sounds ever fascinating, but if not that I'll stay right here, free from the hail of arrows and swords. Here I can look to the future with a joy not able to be seen in previous eras, and glean into the past for insights recorded in greater depth than learned tomes.​

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
I am a fiction author who is getting back into developing stories that hopefully substantially deviate from the norm. Other than that, I fuel my creativity off of real-life history, playing video games of my limited fandoms, reading classic novels and science-fiction/fantasy novels, and (lately) swimming.​

What is your favorite part of Rpnation?
My favourite part of being here is meeting new faces of authors, roleplayers, and artists who lead vastly different styles and lives than my own. The beauty of creativity is discovery. If not for other artisans I have befriended, crafted with, or followed, I would not be on forums.​

When you get onto RPN on any given day, what do you generally like to do?
Spying. I like to browse new interest checks, see new faces, scout talented and aspiring artists, and most especially see how stories I am interested in progress whether or not we are partners (but especially my partners).​

Got any RpNation projects that you would like to share?
For an oldie but a goodie, Four Courts is a good nominee. I am very proud of this roleplay and group. Calamity's Shadow additionally is great, even if short-lived. Also, if roleplays in the making count, I nominate Raid: Shadow Legends Tainted Blood for some good worldbuilding lore.​

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
Read, write, art, get out of your comfort zone sometimes, and never stop improving.​

Have any person(s) you'd like to give a shout-out to?
A shout-out goes out to some fine folks: @Mystics Apprentice (roleplayer), @Dragonborn1 (roleplayer), @Dreamtique (artist), @Hazelfaye (poet), @TheNewBlood1988 (writer). Fond of you all. o7​

YIWTUWG.png

September Donation Badge by @Onmyoji

Newsletter Design By @Serobliss

As a musician/composer, I'm really happy that this question came up during my birthday month. Hehe.

Anywhoosle, to me music is the ultimate form of self expression and creative exploration. Every morning when I wake up, the first thing my brain recognizes are sounds like the wind outside, the hum of my AC/Heater, and sounds like any running car engines in the car ports. When I go about my morning routine before work, I'm always humming or making noises that are vaguely musical and reflective of my mood that morning. For example, if I'm super tired and can't wake up, I'll usually hum something lower and/or depressing that's in a minor key. If I wake up and I'm all bright eyed and bushy tailed, I'll hum or make percussive noises that are more up-tempo and energetic.

Even at work I find myself unconsciously tapping my hand on my thigh or my desk when the work load is lighter.

When I'm home and able to compose or play guitar, I always just fiddle around at first to find something that clicks, and the more I play it and compose for it, the more it takes me somewhere. It's almost like a trance. The music just writes itself. Like it exists in another realm/dimension and uses you as a conduit to be realized in our world. To this day I listen back to some of the things I've written and I still think... I wrote that? Really?

Anyway, that's my take on music. It's been a part of my life since I first played piano when I was 7. And even though I stopped playing piano I picked up guitar at 15 and never looked back. It's been an inseparable part of my life ever since.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back