Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: April 2023

FyOVoOT.gif

Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never. In nothing, great or small, large or petty. Never give in.

β€”Winston Churchill​

What is determination? The part of us that rises against the rage of the machine, an unyielding force that shines brightest in the dark.

Determination is what allows us achieve our goals and overcome our challenges. A powerful resolve that makes us willing to take risks, to push ourselves to our limits, and to stand up for what we believe in, even in the face of opposition.

Most importantly, determination gives us the strength kind to ourselves and to others. Determination is not just about achieving our own goals, but about lifting others up as well. To encourage one another to push a little further, strain just a little longer.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And when you reach the hardest part, when your knees give in, your heart breaks, and you soul fades.

Refuse.

HOUSEKEEPING

🎟️ Staff Contact Ticket System
Users can now enter in tickets for assistance to staff members. This will help for faster response time. You can access this system at the top menu of the website, under β€œImportant Links” on the homepage or here.​

πŸͺƒ Return of Old BBCode Tags
Certain codes are now back and good to use! Check out the BBCode guide here and here and here!​

🦈 Official RPN Merchandise
Be sure to head on over and see what available products we have for our users!​

πŸ‘Ύ Badge Resolution Change
The resolution of the badges have been increased to upgrade its overall quality.​

⚠️ Distress & Crisis Resources
RpNation now provides a Distress & Crisis Resource thread for your needs. Click here to learn more.

tI3Uc4h.png

Tell me a bit about FIRST LIGHT. What inspired the idea for the roleplay and how did it come to be?

Bully: It all started from Crono. I was looking for a high-quality zombie apocalypse for a while and one day I stumbled upon his thread called Lasting Light. It was shortly after I joined when ideas for plot twists started to pop into my head.

Nan: Crono is the mastermind behind FIRST LIGHT, and I've been privileged to be along for the ride. He and I have been RPing in threads together for a few years and one day he approached me and asked if I'd be interested in something he was starting and I leapt at the opportunity.

Crono: The original idea was to make an apocalyptic roleplay that really showed two sides to every coin with varying degrees of morality around every corner. Lasting Light would inevitably give birth to FIRST LIGHT, where Bullyboy and NanLia took the helm.​

What makes FIRST LIGHT different from other zombie apocalypse stories?

Bully: From what I noticed people usually prefer to create apocalyptic roleplays where it's players against the environment or NPCs. Not here. The very idea behind FIRST LIGHT was to create two separate groups (literally, two separate roleplays) that would bond and grow on their own and eventually clash. That's what FIRST LIGHT is about - the degenerated and stronger faction raiding the group you'd call "the good guys". Only down the line we learn that not everything is black and white. Your foes might turn out to be your friends.

Nan: Zombies are a problem, but they’re not what you need to be worried about. I think FIRST LIGHT balances what a zombie apocalypse might actually look like; more than just the threat of being eaten alive but what the survivors of the human race would or could do to one another, despite it.

Crono: With an apocalyptic story you can have any number of dangers. I feel FIRST LIGHT does a great job of honing in on the biggest threats and then pushes both the characters as well as the players to decide how they'll react in certain difficult situations while potentially opposing one another. The players help greatly in creating these scenarios and playing them out.​

Has FIRST LIGHT been going according to plan? Or has it changed from its original idea?

Bully: Never, haha.

Nan: I don't think I've ever participated in an RP that remained the very same plan from start to end. With new players comes new ideas and plots and arches and evolutions. FIRST LIGHT has evolved as well, the conclusion remains the same but we're happy to include our players headcanons along the way to make it just a little more interesting.

Crono: While FIRST LIGHT is ever changing, it's kept to the same path. Nothing goes completely to plan, but that's part of the charm of Roleplay to begin with. Nobody wants to know every little thing that's going to happen ahead of time. But we've structured chapters so that there is a conclusion to each. And the players can figure out how and if their characters come out of it.

Bully: On the serious note, yeah, what Nan and Crono said. FIRST LIGHT is the third chapter of the story and it will have a powerful ending that will turn everything upside down. Can't wait to see how the last one, Chapter Four, goes :3​

What has been your favorite moment from the roleplay so far?

Nan: 1. Weston's picture reveal. 2. Daddy Nacho

Crono: The recent shocking death.

Bully: Damn guys, good picks. Nan ❀️

Super hard to pick just one! I think that my favorite moment is not just one moment but the general tension and antagonistic relationship between the two leaders, Ignacio and Xander. But on the contrary, I also love the wholesomeness of what Derek and Temma have.​

If you were given the option to adapt FIRST LIGHT as a different medium, which would you pick? Adapt the story into a series of novels, TV shows, movies, or video games? And why that chosen medium?

Bully: Some of our players have awesome internal dialogue. That would make for a great series of novels. But personally? My writing style is succinct and sharp. It would work best as a movie.

Crono: I would pick a TV show. I think FIRST LIGHT's story would work great in an episodic format. And I'd just personally love to enjoy it visually.

Nan: I'm a literary nerd. I'm a sucker for long flowy descriptions, miniscule details and endless paragraphs. I feel FIRST LIGHT would appear best through novelization just so the gritty details could be shared in depth.​

When and how did you get into role-playing?

Nan: This is going to seriously date me. I got my start in the old Yahoo!Chat forums. Honestly far too long ago to remember how I ended up there, but I connected with other RP'ers who led me to my first forum based RP site. Sadly, I can't remember the name of the site but it closed many many moons ago, due to lack of support and admins. Funny enough, my first forum based RP was a WWZ (the book) fandom, lol.

Crono: Like Nan, I started up on Yahoo! Messenger/Chats. I also moved on to forum based Roleplay's from there. It wasn't until the forum's that I really got into it and started actually writing in detail, beyond what the fresh little Crono was doing on Yahoo!. I do believe my first forum Rp was on invisionfree and was based on Code Lyoko.

Bully: I feel like a rookie haha. I started a few good years ago on discord using asterix and all that jazz.​

What was your most memorable roleplay moment from your role-playing history?

Nan: This is an easy question for me. December 17, 2016. When I posted my very first interest check on RPN and met my soul-mate Safton Safton

Crono: When I joined RPN back in the ye olden days, one of the first roleplay's I joined was an Avengers: Next Generation scenario. This was coming right off of a six year hiatus from role-playing, and just finding a place to do so. But the friendships I made within that roleplay are what kept me around and are the reason I'm still here. Shoutout to the Avenger's crew, you know who you are.

Bully: Whole experience around FIRST LIGHT is going to stay with me for a long time so I'd say this will be my most memorable rp moment!​

Now if you were in a zombie apocalypse, how do you think you’d fair?

Nan: Terribly. I wouldn't make it the first 24 hours. Very likely to take myself out accidentally, it's a wonder I've survived this long.

Bully: If not zombies or bandits then the lack of toilet paper would kill me. Jokes aside, I'm a social animal. If I had my tribe, some people to fight for, I'd possibly adapt well.

Crono: I'd like to think I could survive the first few weeks or months. But long term I doubt it'd work out. So I'd give myself roughly five months.​

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?

Crono: Be patient. Not every roleplay, or person, goes at the same speed. Fast roleplays work for some people, and slow paced roleplays work for others. But both have their strengths and weaknesses. So patience can really help you in the long run.

Nan: Have an open mind. Not everyone will agree with you and you won't agree with everyone else. It's the differences between us that makes interesting writing! Sometimes the wildest plots and headcanons can be the most fun.

Bully: Don't be an asshole. Don't be a self-entitled child. Be mature, assertive, humble, and use common sense. That way you will not only make your own roleplaying experience better but you will help make it fun and healthy for everyone else.​

Are there any upcoming projects in the coming future we can expect?

Nan: I hope to finish the world building for one I've named Manifest Destiny soon. Without spoilers: Modern Urban Pre-Apocalyptic Fantasy (not including zombies, lol) Hopefully it will be ready to roll out and start with the summary of FIRST LIGHT.

Crono: Nothing new from me for the time being. Maybe one day.

Bully: For me it's one project at a time. Once FIRST LIGHT Chapter Four is done? Anything is possible x)​

In the upcoming newsletter, would you like to give a shout-out to your players? Please feel free to tag them here for us!

Nan & Crono: Thanks to all our dedicated players!

@Safton, @BeyondDandy, @Namazu, @Togy,
Miaow Miaow , MokaChan MokaChan , @The Cat Man, @SlaughterMelon,
@Sil-Sama, @Dream Waker @sanatanas and @Jabroni

Gone but not forgotten:
@pseudo @foolish99 @A Sparkling Zombie @arthur morgan.

We appreciate what you contributed to our RP and are missed!​

Bully: In addition to the shout-out to our awesome players, I have a few more. Honestly I would write something for each of you but I don't want to frustrate our wonderful reviewer with a too long list, just ask me if you're curious what I'd have to say.

Crono Crono - none of us would be here if not for you, boss. *salutes*​

@BeyondDandy - remember how I reached out and asked you to play the main "villain" and you made Marcus King? I don't know if I'd ever pull it all off if you declined back then. He's perfect for his role, man, thank you.​

@Namazu - it wouldn't be the same without you and your Second in Command. Even though it's not the case it feels like you've been part of our crew from the start, cheers.​

@pseudo - I know you're not around anymore but I want you to know that Denver will always be part of the crew in my head. He's awesome and we miss him!​

Uxie Uxie - I don't know if you were ever the coder of the month but you totally should be! If not because of your superior talent and skills then because of your kind assistance. You've made the badass code for us even when already on a break from the code machine (link: <Closed - code machine go 𝙗𝙧𝙧𝙧𝙧 (by uxie)>). Your work and kindness means a lot!​

NanLia and Safton - sorry fam but I just feel the need to share this with the world.​

Listen up folks, these two amazing roleplayers met on RPN and guess what, they've been an irl couple for many years now, planning their future together! HOW COOL IS THAT?!​

Thank you for the fun interview Life. Life. and thanks RPNation for having us!​

tI3Uc4h.png

MEMBER OF THE MONTH
BittyBobcat BittyBobcat

Where does your username come from? Does it have any certain meaning behind it?
Honestly, I'm not quite sure when or why I started it, but it comes from a long string of usernames on other sites with the format (word for small) + (type of cat that starts with the same letter as the first word). Although, I'll add that variations of small cat usernames seem to be awfully popular, so I'd warn people to keep in mind that not every small cat username person they meet is me haha​

How would you describe yourself in three words? Why those words?
I know these are typically adjectives, but I'd go with "Trying my best." I find it hard to pick three different descriptors that feel like they encapsulate me, but that phrase is something I live by. It's part of this personal idea I live by that mistakes are always to be expected at some point, but if I'm trying my best at whatever it is I'm doingβ€”be it something as specific as writing my latest post or something as broad as being kindβ€”then I'll have nothing to regret, no matter what happens.

When did you start roleplaying? Where was it? Did you enjoy it at first?
Oh gosh, it's been so long I'm not quite sure. I think my first forum roleplay experience was when I was 12 back on the Wings of Fire fanon wiki, but I recall doing other forms of RP before (though I'm not quite sure when). I suppose that technically the earliest time I was roleplaying was when I was really little and playing pretend with my friends in real life, acting like we were superheroes, or dinosaurs, or whatever caught our fancy, but I assume that applies to most people.​

What type of character(s) do you lean towards creating? Any preferences?
I've got a variety of characters, but the ones I like to use the most are what I like to call "smart, but stupid." They’ve got some area they excel inβ€”chemistry, magic, persuasion, something semi-specificβ€”that makes them seem very intelligent, but they make mistakes in their regular life that leave you wondering how it is they’ve managed to survive this long, like trying to bake a pizza on a plastic tray or not knowing how to remove a splinter. I enjoy giving characters that balance because I think many people have a certain idea of β€œsmart”, that someone who is smart is nearly infallible in every area of life simply because they’ve demonstrated some skill in another. Having grown up around a number of engineers, I know well enough that so-called smart people are just as (if not more) prone to silly mistakes as anyone else, so writing it is both something that comes naturally to me and something that lets me subvert expectations in a fun way.​

We've noticed you created this thread in our Roleplay Advice & Discussion forum: Character Theory - Hyperspecific Character Questions for Your Entertainment , where do you find inspiration?
My inspiration to make the hyperspecific character questions thread was rambling about my characters with friends. I've always enjoyed learning little details about their characters that are unlikely to come up in regular RP, and coming up with my own has always been a treat. I know plenty of others like rambling about their characters too, so I thought it might be fun to get an excuse for myself to read see more of those little quirks and for everyone else to explore them.​

Do you have any favorite memes? One that never fails to make you laughed?
I'm not sure if it counts, but I greatly enjoy this video of a jellyfish going for a spin.​

If you were granted 3 wishes under the conditions that one of them had to be a selfless wish, what would they be?
My first one would be that everyone cared more about the health and happiness others, even when they're strangers. After that, I honestly have some trouble becauseβ€”with all the advancements being made in medical, agricultural, and other technologiesβ€”I think that would cover cover everyone's problems, mine included, but I suppose the ability to shapeshift and slow down/speed up time at will would be nice (not gonna lie though, I'd probably only use the second one to sleep in past my alarm).​

Branching off the idea of the ability to shapeshift, which branch of shape-shifting would you do? To shapeshift into an animal? Shapeshift your appearance (seem older, younger, etc.)? Which one would it be and why? Or, is it a mix?
If I could shapeshift, I'd definitely want it to be a mix human and animal-based things. Humans because free top surgery, and animals because there's just so many things that I'd be able to try. Flying, breathing water, being able to glow for no particular reason at allβ€”the possibilities are endless.​

Would you like to give a shout-out any partners, friends, community members, etc?
I would like to give a shoutout to my best buds Tapfic Tapfic and @ScatheAriiasqDrayceon, who are two amazing writers and artists that I met about two years ago and have been gleefully pestering ever since. Also, @Klown and @noil, whoβ€”along with Tap and Ariiβ€”have been awesome roleplay partners in our current RP, which is soon to hit it's one-year mark. I love y'all and your little bastard characters.​

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?

My advice is to fail spectacularly. When it comes to roleplay (and life in general, really), failure of some kind or by some standard is inevitable. Accept it, learn from it, andβ€”if you canβ€”enjoy it (in no particular order). It can be disappointing when a roleplay or any other undertaking dies, but know that for each conceptual corpse you make, there's now that much more fertile ground to grow modified re-attempts or draw inspiration from for other projects.​

Is there any advice or things you would like to tell newsletter readers?
Forum based roleplaying requires two things, communication and patience. There are many reasons for that, but a good reason is that real life often gets in the way, creating situations where you or another can’t post. However, people can’t read minds, and because of that, can often assume the worst things (calling myself out). As such, it’s important to tell others your circumstances and to be patient when they tell you their’s.​
RdEPlDA.png

April Donation Badge by @merrbles
[/indent]

Kaerri Kaerri and Staff-chan. You "totally" didn't do the newsletter this month? For the first time in the nearly 10 years that Kaerri and I have been here, I SO don't believe you! Ha ha ha!

Happy April Fool's Day, everyone! Do folks have a special April Fool's memory they'd like to share?

I can start. Does anyone remember the Guild Wars MMORPG (the first game) when, for April Fool's Day, they swapped every playable character's gender without notice? For the whole day? People were logging on and some were losing their minds! "OMG! I'm playing a dude!" "Holy cow! My character has a nice butt!" "Hey! My toon looks good in a skirt! Whoa!"

Some of us acted as if our characters had always been that gender so when the shocked players asked, some folks would look at them and say, "I don't know, buddy. Your character looks like (original gender) to me! Maybe it's your monitor or your settings?" It went on and on!

To this day, nothing beats Guild Wars One's April Fool's Day joke!

Your turn! What's your good memory of April Fool's Day?

Haha! My best April Fool’s memory was over spring break in school and my mom came rushing into my room shouting her head off; β€œI SLEPT IN!! COME ON, WE HAVE TO GO NOW, YOU’RE LATE FOR SCHOOL!!” So of course, my tired ass gets up, dressed, ready for school. She even drove me there and watched as I got out of the car in confusion.

Haha! My best April Fool’s memory was over spring break in school and my mom came rushing into my room shouting her head off; β€œI SLEPT IN!! COME ON, WE HAVE TO GO NOW, YOU’RE LATE FOR SCHOOL!!” So of course, my tired ass gets up, dressed, ready for school. She even drove me there and watched as I got out of the car in confusion.

I actually had the same thing happen to me! It was both frustrating and funny at the same time. Ah, parents sometimes. 🀣

The link is here to the newsletter. You lied to me RPN, is this some sort of sick joke- oh wait… April First.

And for anyone interested. We are still open and recruiting. Here's the interest check.

Happy Jennifer Aniston GIF

Yayayayay!! So excited to see where First Light goes to and how the relationships continue to grow or falter!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Congratulations to all those mentioned!

It was a pleasure interviewing the trio for First Light. I wish y’all’s roleplay much fortune and blessings for what is to come!

Does anyone remember the Guild Wars MMORPG (the first game) when, for April Fool's Day, they swapped every playable character's gender without notice? For the whole day? People were logging on and some were losing their minds! "OMG! I'm playing a dude!" "Holy cow! My character has a nice butt!" "Hey! My toon looks good in a skirt! Whoa!"
Omg yes! I remember! I even created a new character with that appearance after that day πŸ˜†

congratulations on roleplay of the month! the roleplay's lore and development are absolutely amazing, and very thankful for the kind shout-out β™‘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back