RpNation Monthly: September 2016

There are two other, highly valid reasons.

1) They tried their best, and still failed.

2) They feel they ARE worthy, but aren't getting it anyway. Whether or not this is true, it's still a valid reason.

I know competition is good, but with a community that prides itself on unity, maybe splitting people and holding some on a higher pedestal than others isn't the best way to go about making people feel like a team.

Don't feel bad kid, I'm married to an admin and I have never been highlighted in one of these things. It really isn't even a competition, it's just luck of the draw really. Just do what you do for the fun of it, not because there's some sort of 'prize'.

Nah, it's not you. A few things specifically make me angry (miniature rant coming up. If you don't care, just skip it. I need to vent, so I wouldn't blame you for ignoring this.)

3. General competitiveness. No one's fault but my own here, and part of the reason I genuinely dislike this. I am HIGHLY competitive. So, even if a competition is for fun and to bring people up, I can't help but take it seriously.

Heya Assailant!

Here's a rant of my own.  =)

1. Vent away, friend!  The alternative is keeping all that inside of you until one day...

giphy.gif

(Image credit: http://giphy.com/gifs/explosion-war-Ay6HrZVsDYuvS)

2. I think Kaerri is right (and not just because we're married, heh!); this whole thing isn't meant to be a competition, but just a simple showcasing of people's talents.  No money is changing hands, no one here is on the front of a box of Wheaties, and no one "duked it out" in a climb to the top.  Start looking at it from "win or lose" perspective and the spirit of the showcase is lost.  

Instead, this showcase has been just a way of saying, "Hey, we've got lots of creative and talented people here at RpN!  Here are just a few examples!"  I think RpN would need twice the staff we have now to recognize everyone on a monthly basis.  Know what I mean?  =)

3. Compete away, Assailant!  The competitive spirit has driven many a person to great heights (Muhammed Ali, Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps, and Claressa Shields are just some examples).  It's also driven many a person to incredible lows.  I feel there is always someone stronger or weaker in your "game" than you.  In my experience, I've found the trick is who you compete with.

I compete with that one person I'll never truly beat - myself.  

And I only compete with myself.  Imagine you're climbing up the side of a tall hill or craggy mountain.  I think I reach the top only to see that my potential has now made another plateau for me to reach.  So I keep climbing, asking for feedback from those I trust, looking back on my previous words and ways to improve them, etc..  Most of all, I am here for the "good times," the memories, and the fun!  When I look down that mountainside, I am proud of myself because I see how far I have come.

After years and years of roleplaying, I am a Dannigan that I can be proud of if you catch my drift?  When I look in that mirror and I see that guy looking back at me, I smile because I've used my competitive drive to further myself and now I'm more than I was because of my drive.  My players like my games.  I like my games.  That's a great feeling!

That, for me, is the best and most-honest reward I can give myself - the knowing that I've done my best.  =)

Take care, Assailant! =)

Honor and fun,

Dann =)

It was very VERY nice of you guys to quote my rambling stream of consciousness! :)  

@Daisie *Presents a chicken made of solid gold as a well done trophy!*

It was actually really nice to find out a little more about you! I've only known you for stabsies so far!  :D  

It was very VERY nice of you guys to quote my rambling stream of consciousness! :)  

@Daisie *Presents a chicken made of solid gold as a well done trophy!*

It was actually really nice to find out a little more about you! I've only known you for stabsies so far!  :D  

:o  Chickeeeennnn!!! *Hugs*

Lol, thank you! And I'm glad I could share a bit more about myself. :D

Users who are viewing this thread