RpNation Monthly: September 2016

Damn, that Roleplay looks good! Hat's off to you, Umbra. 

I just hope my project will be even a fraction of what you got going there! This article has gotten me all fired up. I'm gonna think till I can't think no more! I WILL succeed! Just you watch.  ^_^

Watching, and supporting ^^ You can make a good RP if you try! (Tho, what IS a good RP? Deep questions, so many deep questions.)

This is awesome! Great read. I am reading it to everyone in the car as we are stuck in California traffic. 

Watching, and supporting ^^ You can make a good RP if you try! (Tho, what IS a good RP? Deep questions, so many deep questions.)

Too deep, too deep. Too much thinking, aghhhhh. But thank you! I'll be sure to put all I can into it. A good roleplay to me is one where people get passionate about the story and are encouraged to be good to each other; though, I personally like a little mischief as well heheh

I must say, I've never liked this. I feel like it spawns a sense of bitterness and competition that is detrimental to this environment.

I'm sorry you feel that way! The purpose of the newsletter has never been to pit users against each other or make people feel lesser. Rather the opposite... It's to recognize as many people in our community as possible and celebrate how awesome each and every person is. I think it'd be counterintuitive to the goal of making people feel good if nobody got any praise!

I'm sorry you feel that way! The purpose of the newsletter has never been to pit users against each other or make people feel lesser. Rather the opposite... It's to recognize as many people in our community as possible and celebrate how awesome each and every person is. I think it'd be counterintuitive to the goal of making people feel good if nobody got any praise!

Heh, who knows. Maybe I'm just bitter I've never been picked? After all, not many people seem to agree. Anyway, my train of thought is simply that by picking people as outstanding, those who haven't been picked feel... lesser, to some extent. It certainly would feel good to the few, but to many who don't get the fortune of being picked, it creates a growing sense of resentment. At least, that's my thought. Especially so much is dependent upon luck. Besides...

635859102054592934212391694_giphy.gif

I must say, I've never liked this. I feel like it spawns a sense of bitterness and competition that is detrimental to this environment.

Competition isn't always bad, you know. It helps others strive to be better, and if someone is bitter, then it isn't because of the competition, it's usually because they don't want to put in the effort to really try to be better.

it's usually because they don't want to put in the effort to really try to be better.

There are two other, highly valid reasons.

1) They tried their best, and still failed.

2) They feel they ARE worthy, but aren't getting it anyway. Whether or not this is true, it's still a valid reason.

I know competition is good, but with a community that prides itself on unity, maybe splitting people and holding some on a higher pedestal than others isn't the best way to go about making people feel like a team.

There are two other, highly valid reasons.

1) They tried their best, and still failed.

2) They feel they ARE worthy, but aren't getting it anyway. Whether or not this is true, it's still a valid reason.

I know competition is good, but with a community that prides itself on unity, maybe splitting people and holding some on a higher pedestal than others isn't the best way to go about making people feel like a team.

I don't want to argue with you, and I do understand that sometimes, your best just isn't enough, and to that I say TCH! Not true! Be patient, and people will recognize your talent and the work you've put into it. Besides, these featured people are those who caught the staff's attention. They just haven't gotten to everyone out there who pours their heart into their work.

I don't want to argue with you, and I do understand that sometimes, your best just isn't enough, and to that I say TCH! Not true! Be patient, and people will recognize your talent and the work you've put into it. Besides, these featured people are those who caught the staff's attention. They just haven't gotten to everyone out there who pours their heart into their work.

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm just butthurt. I want to be happy for the winners, but it's hard not to feel a little cheated, you know?

Gah! Ugh, sorry for wasting your time and effort.

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm just butthurt. I want to be happy for the winners, but it's hard not to feel a little cheated, you know?

Gah! Ugh, sorry for wasting your time and effort.

You haven't wasted anyone's time ^^ don't you worry. I hope you feel a bit better about this whole deal soon, tho. Sorry if I angered you in any way, it wasn't how I wanted it to be ^^"

There's just so many wonderful RPs and we only have room for one in each newsletter!  It isn't meant to be a competition at all, not with "winners" and "losers."  It's a feature, something we're shining a spotlight on so others can see who might not have noticed it otherwise.  It would be awesome if we could put all of y'all's great work in every month's issue but there just isn't room or time, so we pick one (and it's not easy to pick, either!).

Nah, it's not you. A few things specifically make me angry (miniature rant coming up. If you don't care, just skip it. I need to vent, so I wouldn't blame you for ignoring this.)

1. The time rule (bolded because this is actually a genuine concern of mine.) This ruined the chance of a previous roleplay of mine making it. Like, we spent months building it up, making so much lore, making it a deep world with well developed characters... only to have it impossible to add because of the time restriction. It takes time to build a world, at least that's my philosophy, so being punished for taking the time to develop feels... unfair.

2. Personal bias. I have a... poor history with the mods. It's hard to feel like that doesn't give me no chance.

3. General competitiveness. No one's fault but my own here, and part of the reason I genuinely dislike this. I am HIGHLY competitive. So, even if a competition is for fun and to bring people up, I can't help but take it seriously.

Alright... that's all I have to say... sorry

Man, now everyone's liking my admission post... now I just feel like a jerk...

You're fine ^_^  

I don't know of any time rule, though, aside from in the old system (possibly this one too, I'm not sure and it hasn't yet come up) HPs would get archived if they went over a month without any IC posts.  That was to help keep resources available for active RPs, I think.

We try to avoid personal bias when picking people and RPs.  Of course we're only human, but we do try. :)   And it's a group thing, it's not just one mod saying "I want this one in the newsletter" and none of the others getting a say.  Diverse as we are, we feel we're as impartial as circumstances allow.

I'd like to iterate what Musician said about our suggestion form. I love user suggestions and give a lot of weight to them.

Every time I read the newsletter, I can't help but look forward to the day my ambitious self shall have a featured Roleplay :3

Not really, that was a joke~ Publicity kinda sucks~ 

RPN BANZAI!!!

And honestly, there's no shame in self-nominating as long as you don't nominate yourself several times in a row pretending to be different people. >.>

GJ DAISIE @Daisie

Also OMG Reaper is featured now

Although I'm ashamed to say I haven't ever joined it due to my lack of.........

nothing >.> or maybe just a little overthinking or a lot or a truckload of it

And I've been PMed to join it twice so far.

Although at this point I wouldn't be able to be active in it anyways... ;w;

:D  Yaaay! Hi, @The Departure!!

And don't worry, I got a PM, too. I didn't join, either. We have that in common ^^

Users who are viewing this thread