RpNation Monthly: September 2016

Dusky

Succubus
rpncrest17.png.4757960b4caa70258431979ee0f08d97.png

SEPTEMBER 2016

Slowly, coolly. Not with any fanfare or flashes, only the soft landing of autumn leaves. This is how summer comes to a close. We're in the last legs of it now! Of course, where I live summer pretty much keeps going until December rolls around, but a girl can dream!! Just looking around it's so so visible how much has happened over August and how awesome September will be! I'd like to take a minute to remind everyone that if you have questions about the new site or found a bug or something of the sort, I strongly encourage you to check out the Site Update Survival Guide before you do anything else. Really! Also, look out for the closing thoughts from our very own kitten admin, Captain Hesperus.

Site Updates

August 9, 2016 - Invisioning The Future (RpN 2.0) - The big update we've all been teasing finally happened! We've switched from XenForo to Invision Power Board, which lets us bring a ton of cool new features to you without them continuously breaking like they did on XF. We have also brought to you new themes, a new and improved roleplay system, a more stable text editor, and more!

August 18, 2016 - Aftermath - A few changes are made; the new roleplay system is now only for Hosted Projects and is not mandatory, Night Life has been improved, and bugs have been squashed. A to-do list is also released.

August 21, 2016 - Changelog - 8/21/2016 - We've made a bunch of changes! Most notably, we improved site speed.

August 31, 2016 - PSA: Why We Don't Allow Erotic Roleplaying - We'd like to remind everyone that we have very good reasons not to allow erotic/smut roleplay, and it has nothing to do with our personal feelings on the matter.

August 31, 2016 - New Feature: Blogs - We've released a fun new feature: personal blogs! Blog away, my pretties.

Donation Badge

2016-aug-donation-badge.png.13c66f96c9cd1e8e494d27fdaf485248.png

@welian has made you a refreshing glass of pink lemonade. Doesn't it look wonderful? You know, you really ought to thank her, she had to squeeze the pixel-lemons by hand and everything. Hopefully all donators appreciate the fruit (haha) of her labor!

Promotions

57a93dd8d19cd_ScreenShot2016-08-08at12.25.28PM.png.b5c90a85a3a079fdbfe04d228583e1d9.png

Administrator

20184.jpg.9c55984a797c3d15e9e9a4d20ea582ca.jpg

Administrator

34992.jpg.a6c9323a267ffc916a5aabadbd74fec7.jpg

1a987459d85b99d13d5117a6270154c3.jpg.74c1a6a13332a4dd8818fe68afb72f57.jpg

Features

We have here not one but two special features, this month. I'm very excited about this! The newsletter is all about celebrating all of you, so I love being able to showcase your unique and individual talents. Unsurprisingly, the site has kinda exploded since the big update, and this includes the wonderful user-generated content that makes up this section. Congratulations to everyone featured!

Featured Writing

This month's featured writing is a touch whimsical, a smidge thought-provoking, and a dollop vibrant. The piece's strength is its lilting diction and attentive detail. Written by @Marianne, "Ipanema" is intriguing! It is a chapter from a story called V; you can view the thread here.

Featured Artist

It was a true challenge to decide just which of this photographer's' pictures I would display here. All are worth checking out! Breathtaking landscape shots of Northern Ireland are punctuated by things of normalcy: pets, leaves, flowers. All, however, are somehow lent an ethereal quality, thanks to @Physiicz's special touch. View his thread here!

As blue met violet, orange met pink, clashing upon pallid clouds with fruitful vitality. Chinese lanterns, the color of a pale cerulean morning flickered in the sky, millions, billions, trillions of miles away from the ground as a little lady admired the beauty of the sky above. Her tiny world became large that day, especially when her heart shaped lips, the color of roses, parted to speak: "Mother, why are the Chinese lanterns so far?" There was a click, a pause in the air as the radio music in the background became lower. Afterwards, the little lady could hear the shuffle of feet and the ruffle of skirts. It was only a matter of time before gentle taps met white wood and green grass.

View attachment 157066

Special Feature: Crocheting

We love seeing something different in the Creativity forums! Recently a user shared this finished project with us, and it's very delightful! The colors are as soft as the yarn looks; it's a very cheerful blanket. Give a hand to @Kohote, who's a whizz with the crochet needle. You can view her thread here!

Special Feature: Travel

Our users do some pretty amazing things, and travel is one of them. @JokerValentine studied abroad in Madagascar, and they are full of stories and photographs! Here is their thread full of photography. Don't mind the messy code from the update; clicking the links at the bottom of their post will pull up the photos.

100_0448.JPG.af1c4ffe598cc42d06a597e948d23b59.JPG

_1150426.jpg.797897c396d1f3720f7cb9575ad3ce0b.jpg

Featured Tutorial

Among the many cool new features of RPN 2.0 are custom activity streams. This tool allows you to browse new content in an organized way, a way that even regular alerts can't hope to compare to. For those of you who get lots of alerts per day, this is a lifesaver! View @Ambela's tutorial on setting up and managing these streams here.

Featured Discussion

Sometimes we find characters that are a real pleasure to read or to write. It's tough to pinpoint what exactly it is that makes them that way! September's featured discussion is all about those things that make characters a joy. Chime in on @Danchou Tsubomi's thread, What about a character makes you like them?.

I still marvel at the majesty of this simple trick! There is, in fact, a way you can see the content of a specific member rather than all of the people you follow! Not only that, but there are other handy tricks activity streams can do with other things- you can view unread content, content that you have started, content that you follow and more! Most of those features are already available with the site, as the default activity streams.

I like muli-faceted characters with different, hidden sides to them that are only revealed through certain plot triggers. I like it when you think you know a character and can predict their every reaction, only to be surprised when they do something 'out of character'.

Roleplay of the Month

This month's featured roleplay has been on our radar for a little while and we're very pleased to bring it onto yours! Not that it needs the help; this roleplay has been pulling people in like flies to honey. It's a world with terrible monsters, and you play as a Weaver: someone who controls a certain element through the Core inside their body. Which element is yours?

57accb3e0cabd_DeityxWraith.jpg.91068467532426ddc26345cfbda7eda6.jpg

And now some words from the GM, @Umbra Regalia:

Q: What are some of the things that inspired or influenced Reaper: Origins?

A: I was inspired by a lot of things, the most notable things being various anime plotlines and music lyrics. Though, Reaper had started as just a little book I used to write in class (Let's just say I was a rebel). I was inspired to turn it into a roleplay because I saw so many other cool roleplays on this site and wanted to be like them, and so I brought out the big guns!~

Q: What is it that has made Reaper: Origins successful?

A: Honestly, I've been wondering myself. Though, if I had to say it would probably be the pre-determined plotline because usually, in roleplays, there's a lot of pressure on the roleplayers themselves to figure out the next events in the story, but with Reaper I decided to take most of that pressure off of them. This way, there's lots of space for players to do as they like, but there's also an organized story under all that.

Q: What are your strengths, when it comes to GMing?

A: I think I'm pretty good at making the roleplay interesting, with fancy plots and cool settings and such, but I'm probably better when it comes to caring about the roleplayers themselves. Though, sometimes it can be a weakness, I always try to make sure the roleplayers are having fun in the roleplay, and make sure they don't have any complaints. Sometimes it's the hardest part of my day to tell someone they have to change something about their character just to join the roleplay.

Q: How about weaknesses?

A: I'm awful at enforcing rules in my roleplay. I'm... Just too weak... No, but really, I always have a hard time telling someone to go re-read the rules section of the roleplay, because I hate telling someone they're wrong and I'm right - even if I'm really annoyed by how much they break rules.

Q: How do you garner interest for your roleplays?

A: I recruit occasionally, which gets people to take a peek at the roleplay, though I usually just leave it up to people popping up and asking to join. Other than that, I beg all my real-life friends to join the site and join my roleplay, but that hasn't brought in any new members for a long while now.

Q: How did you come about roleplaying? How did you discover RPN?

A: I started roleplaying about nine years ago - now that I think about it, that long? Damn. And I still can't write more than three paragraphs for a post? I'm disappointed in myself. But, I joined in one of those apps where there were communities, can't quite remember the name, and started there. Made a few friends, joined a few roleplays, though when all my friends started leaving that app and grew into other things, I went off looking for a roleplay forum! Because apps are hard to find. The good ones, anyway. So I found this site, and joined! Still don't regret it!~

Q: What is the most hilarious roleplay you remember participating in? What stood out most?

A: It wasn't on this site, but it was a roleplay where everyone had to roleplay as anything other than a living being. To say the least, it was chaotic. But, can't say it wasn't enjoyable. If anything, it was the most fun I'd had in a roleplay back then. People were waddling around as popsicles, rolling about as wheels, etc. etc. and let's just say I chose the best of the best... A shoe.

Q: What's your saddest memory of roleplaying?

A: My saddest memory of roleplaying was a long while ago, when I attempted to launch the Reaper roleplay on the texting app I was roleplaying with years ago. It was left in the dust by all the high school roleplays, not that surprising, but when someone did join, I was told that the roleplay wouldn't get off the ground and it wasn't an original enough idea. To which I say TCH! Lies! Pretty sure Attack On Titan wasn't out yet, and that's one of the only things my roleplay has ever been compared to. That and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. To which I also say, those came out after I made my idea of Reaper so SHHH!

Q: What's your fondest memory of roleplaying?

A: Time to get all emotional! Okay, fine, only a little bit. My fondest memories of roleplaying were actually on this site. It was when the first season of Reaper launched. Sitting on literally the same couch I'm sitting on now, writing these answers, I created Reaper. Way to make a junky couch memorable, eh? Anyway, I had just created the roleplay and was waiting on people to join - I expected maybe one or two people, since I had seen that in the roleplays I was looking at before, and went off to do some chores (Responsible, I know). When I came back, I think I had a mini heart attack, not gonna lie. I found like seven notifications - a big number for someone as anti-social as past me, and I think I freaked out a little past mini heart attack. Opening them up, I found that they were all character sheets or questions in OOC. To say the least, I was happy as hell. If hell were happy. The cheesiest part is, that's where I met my boyfriend. (In those seven people, not hell)

Q: What are some tips and tricks you think others should keep in mind while role-playing?

A: Just the over-used ones, I'm not good at giving out tips and tricks. Basically, just make sure you're comfortable with the setting before you jump in. Nobody wants someone flailing around trying to figure out how to use the new "non-magic" powers you're forced to have in the roleplay. Also, just try to interact with everyone. Your character doesn't have to be best friends with everyone, just maybe pass by someone now and again. Which brings me to the last one - Be realistic. Don't do that anime stuff. Unless it's a high school roleplay. Then you can do that anime stuff. (And I'm not talking about magic, I'm talking about character behaviour)

Q: Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? What are they?

A: It's honestly the worst thing when people try to integrate their own laws into my story. Thankfully, it happens extremely rarely for me, can't say the same for others. Like, I put so much effort into figuring out a twisty-fresh plot and you go and say "nah, we're adding lasers here," like NO, lasers are badass and all, but no laser threads! Actually, that's a good idea for a new type, lemme just write that down real quick...

Q: When you were born, you were diagnosed with Anime Protagonist Syndrome, and your parents wept. For as long as you can remember this has manifested in ways you can't even hide. Describe a day in your life.

A: Reverse harem. I would make a reverse harem and reject every man to ever join it. The rejected reverse harem shall be mine! Other than that, I would be like... That one stereotypical shy girl who's actually really nice and really excitable after the first five episodes.

Q: Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?

A: I think I'm pretty content with the attention Reaper has been getting, I don't think I'll be making another. At least, not for another while. (Though... another roleplay doesn't sound too bad... Lemme just go plan another story for three months and I'll get back to you on that, eh?)

Member of the Month

This month we have another user brought to our attention through user suggestions! This user is super sweet and contributes a lot to our community by sharing her art, being kind and friendly to other users, opening up and contributing to discussions, and always staying positive. We're pleased to introduce you all to:

1JLzqQl.jpg.e1d300c4b9535163042f6951fa93ce11.jpg

Daisie

And now some words from @Daisie:

Q: When did you get started roleplaying, and how?

A: I started RPing with my brother @LegoLad659 back a few years ago. :D  I had no clue how much I really sucked at RPing back then. I was cringey.

Q: You draw and also make pixel art. Gnarly! What's your favorite form of visual art to work in, and why?

A: Ohh, that's a tough one. I'm a big fan of traditional pencil drawings, and I have been ever since I first picked up a pencil. :)  Though pixel art and other digital arts are really cool too, I'll go with pencil drawings on that one.

Q: What are some hobbies you have besides roleplaying?

A: I go and work at a farm every morning, to go feed the animals! It's considered volunteer work, and I absolutely love it! My favorite animal there are the chickens. <3

Q: Any book or show or other such media that you've been excited about recently?

A: Recently? Hmm... Well, my other brother and I have recently watched Firefly, and Serenity. Such an awesome show, and an even better movie. But there really hasn't been anything too recent.

Q: What is your favourite dining utensil and why?

A: KNIVES 

BECAUSE STABBY :)

Q: Got any projects in progress? Tell us about them!

A: I have a really big art project I'm working on for the entirety of RpNation! And now I am officially revealing it to the public. It's one big picture, that includes all of the mods, admins, and our beloved Site Owner! I'm super excited, and I hope to finish it by October. But I'm not entirely sure that it'll be possible.

Q: What does your ideal career look like?

A: Hmm, ideal career... I'm not sure, to be honest. If I had to pick right now, it would probably be drawing. But then again, things change in time.   :)

Q: What advice do you have for the readers of this month's newsletter?

A: Keep doing what you're doing! I know some of you are going through some rough stuff right now. But just remember, it can't last forever, and you're stronger than anything life can do to you! So stay strong!   :)

Love you guys!

Closing Thoughts

I've been asked to write these Closing Thoughts and I want to write it on the topic of changes and how it affects communities.

This site, RpNation, has undergone so many changes over the past year or so, it's almost unrecognisable from what it started out as. But yet, it is completely different from what its origins were. Way back in 2012 two RP sites, The Wayward Inn and Pattern Spider, formed a merger under the auspices of The Dark Wizard. At that time, Pattern Spider was a middling-size site that focussed primarily on the White Wolf RP game, Exalted. The Wayward Inn was completely different, its focus being on original or fandom-based free-form RPs. When Wizard took over the Pattern Spider site and announced the merger, there was a great furore between the two communities. Pattern Spider's community, being the smaller of the two, was concerned that the vaster community of The Wayward Inn would overrule their way of gaming, that being using an established and published RP game, in favour of their free-form RPs. The Wayward Inn's community was equally concerned that this smaller, more insular group would demand more attention for their 'boring, roll-playing game' than was fair. Much salt was cast in both camps, many threats were made by elder members of the sites to quit and take their groups with them. But yet, Wizard persisted and went ahead with the merger.

Now I was, at that time, one of the Pattern Spiders. I had never heard of 'The Wayward Inn', The Dark Wizard or any of the free-form gaming styles that they brought to my tiny corner of the interwebs. I, like many of the Pattern Spider community, saw only the threat of the Borg. "We are The Wayward Inn. Lower your dice and surrender your game books. We will add your house rules and setting distinctiveness to our own. Your site will adapt to serve us. Resistance is futile.". I was concerned that my comfortable little gaming niche would be eradicated and trampled by fandom groupies and frothing homebrew system fanatics. But it didn't happen. At first, the separation between the two communities was distinct. The Pattern Spiders played Exalted, The Wayward Inners played free-form. But then, during the course of that year, Pattern Spiders started to investigate some of the free-form games and some of the Wayward Inners started asking questions about what Exalted was about. Then, suddenly, the lines between the two communities became blurry. New members joined and were met by both communities alike. People who had been staunchly in favour of their style of gaming were joining games that were outside their comfort zone and an accord was reached, silently and without incident.

And that was the birth of RPdom.

RPdom soon changed names to RPzone, since the 'dom' had certain kinky connotations that was putting the site on the wrong sort of Google searches and still we continued. New styles for the site were concocted, some were spectacular, some less so, but never were they without controversy. Each new update brought discomfort and disharmony in the community, with threats of departure from people who felt they could not cope with the changes. But yet, the site endured. New users kept joining, new RPs were being created and played and daily post counts continued to climb. The site quickly topped Google searches and seemed set to continue to greatness.

Then, after two years, Wizard acquired RpNation, when GgAce stepped down as site owner and moved on to new projects. Again there was a merger and again there was the ever-present terror as two communities clashed. RPzone had established itself with forum RPs and a small niche of Thread RPs, while RpNation was entirely Thread RPs. Again the cellars were opened and elitists on both sides began casting salt far and wide. "Thread RPs are unsophisticated and boring", "Forum RPs are over-complicated and finicky". Again the staff had to deal with threats of departures en-mass, but this time it was an easier transition. The sites came together, not with the crash of two continental plates grinding against each other, but more like two plates of jelly slapping into one another. RpNation, as we know it, was born out of that gloopy mess. Forum RPs and Thread RPs flourished side-by-side and, even when the forum production software bit the dust and we started to create a system to link threads together in Thread RPs, the blow of losing of forums was softened by gaining Tabbed Thread RPs.

And then we come to our most recent change, departing from the ailing and stumbling xenForo forum software to the more vibrant and actively-updated IPS software. It wasn't an easy transition, many people were greatly disheartened at the massive changes the move wrought across the whole site, changes that are still being felt today. But something as monumental as this is will be seen, in future, as a small stumbling block in the site's evolution and development. And I know that the community of RpNation has become stronger and more excited for the future. As we welcome new users and introduce them to free-form, dice and custom RPs, there is no antipathy between those who prefer to play RPs that are published by companies and those who prefer RPs that come from their own imaginations. RpNation has flourished, and it continues to flourish, despite the trials and tribulations we face along the way. Some people will be upset by changes, others welcome them with open arms. But the great thing about this site is that the community endures. We clamber over the rough parts until we reach the easier, more comfortable path beyond and see the benefits unfold.

I'm proud of the achievements of this site over the six years I've been a member (four of which as Staff), and I look forward to the bright (and dark) future that awaits us.

rpncrest17.png.4757960b4caa70258431979ee0f08d97.png

View full announcement

Those closing thoughts are goddamn inspirational. And yes, pixel lemons are very hard to juice! They zap you if you aren't careful.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Very pleasant read. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Thank you for mentioning my thread and I. It was truly a nice surprise! :D [/SIZE]

I can't help but feel a little jealous xD  they all most definitely deserve the mentions though

Thanks for featuring my hunk of early morning crazy talk. It means a lot! <3

@Captain Hesperus 

I can't claim to have been around for nearly as long as you have nor can I claim to have known prior to now the rocky details of the site's history. I've only been around for a little over a year. That being said, I can say that reading your closing thoughts has been highly enlightening and taught me to respect changes in a way that I don't think I was previously able to. 

I just want to say thank you for sharing. 

like of this whole entire monthly thing. Its just interesting.

When I joined this site all those months ago, I never thought it would get to this, being updated and having its own monthly news letter. Its just an interesting idea and I like it ^_^

like of this whole entire monthly thing. Its just interesting.

When I joined this site all those months ago, I never thought it would get to this, being updated and having its own monthly news letter. Its just an interesting idea and I like it ^_^

We've been doing these for a long time :O!

Last edited by a moderator:
you have!?!?

Boy do I feel sheepish. Regardless, it's a good thing and I will hopefully be more aware of them from here on out.

@The Dark Wizard

Ya'll are just wonderful! Oh, happy tears! ;)  Congrats to everyone featured; I absolutely love art, and nearly any kind!! All of the work that includes other countries makes me want to travel...Also it's so cool to meet other role players through the highlight of @Daisie and others from past and soon to be articles. Art, art, art...love, love, love...oh thank you for bringing such an inspiring, creative, kind, and helpful community team Awesome. I was about to call you all Avengers since @Kaerri is Thor. ;D

Congrats @Daisie! I'm so proud of you and your stabby knives. xD  

This was a joy to read. I really love those monthly newsletters. 

@Kazuko Thank you!! ^ ^ I got all my stabby knives right here! Staaaabbyyyyy......

Have a wonderful day! :)  

I must say, I've never liked this. I feel like it spawns a sense of bitterness and competition that is detrimental to this environment.

Damn, that Roleplay looks good! Hat's off to you, Umbra. 

I just hope my project will be even a fraction of what you got going there! This article has gotten me all fired up. I'm gonna think till I can't think no more! I WILL succeed! Just you watch.  ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread