Roleplay Pet Peeves

And the list continues.

I have always made a note in any request thread I've done to add I write a lot and given access to samples. With this info at hand, I dislike when I put up my first post in the thread only to be made to feel guilty for writing a lot. You knew what you were coming into so why even put us down this road?

I FEEL YOU SO MUCH ON THIS. 

One time the GM got pissy about us not responding like more than three times a day with a detailed response or something like that. Long story short we all told the GM we had lives and the GM proceeded to delete everything. All of our work and posts.

Almost the same thing happened to me, except the GM deleted the whole RP because I wanted people to respond more than once every three days and some asshole was pulling bullshit out of his ass and throwing it at everyone.

You guys are still arguing about this?

I hate it when people are like "I'll join but only if you add x"

I havent' really come across it but second-hand hearing about it is just dissapointing

I suppose it just depends.

It might be a cool suggestion that you want onboard, but something like "I will join if the area suddenly gets flooded with zombies" is kinda stupid.

i don't mind when somebody wants to be a member of a rare species or skillset in a roleplay setting where something similar to the species or skillset is feasible. like a psychic creature in a world where illusion magic exists or a feytouched mortal in a world where fey exist. as long as the power level fits the tone of the universe. where i draw the line is when somebody wants to play a drow ranger wielding a pair of matched scimitars and followed by a wartrained magebred panther in a modern setting where elves don't exist, where panthers are extinct or highly protected, and where there are not any new medieval style swords in production as anything more than shelf ornaments,

I dunno if I'm beating a dead horse here or not, but my RP pet peeve is when you have someone who feels the need to have everything, and I mean everything centric around their character. Like there's I'm in where the person's character had already had their own arc and everything and I didn't try to steal the show or anything because it was a good arc. But as soon as mine has something going on, it  HAS to affect the other character some how. Because literally everything and I mean everything has to.  Am I the only one who gets extremely annoyed when this happens?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno if I'm beating a dead horse here or not but my RP pet peeve is when you have someone who feels the need to everything, and I mean everything centric around their character. Like there's Im in where the person's character had already had their own arc and everything and my characters didn't try to steal the show or anything. But as soon as mine has something going on, it  HAS to affect the other character some how. Because literally everything and I mean everything has to.  Am I the only one who gets extremely annoyed when this happens?

Nope, you are definitely not the only one!

I can't stand it either, it is just plain unfair to give all the spotlight to one character. That is why I hate the characters that are always a victim of something, or always have to he the hero.

Nope, you are definitely not the only one!

I can't stand it either, it is just plain unfair to give all the spotlight to one character. That is why I hate the characters that are always a victim of something, or always have to he the hero.

Thanks! Like I'm not saying I want all the attention either but it should be DIVIDED. Like I had a character go through something traumatic as a means development and stuff. So another character was going to go out and get vengeance and stuff and then next thing I know, the other person is going "Can this affect MY character some how too so this person can avenge THEM too?"

And I'm just sitting here like "UGGGHHHH"

Another pet peeve are serial roleplay killers.

Like those people who constantly join role-plays but can never actual be in one. They join, maybe make a character, may make a post or two and then just disappear. But they just love talking in the OOC chat or elsewhere on rpnation.

Like, what's the point?

Like those people who constantly join role-plays but can never actual be in one. They join, maybe make a character, may make a post or two and then just disappear. But they just love talking in the OOC chat or elsewhere on rpnation.

Like, what's the point?

First off your name gave me flashbacks to an old werewolf detective character with your exact name.

but also more relevantly I think it's a combination of poor time management and short attention span.

i do this all the time double book myself because I'll make a thread cuz I'm bored then get like twelve responses. I'll start talking to folks - realize I work with some better than others. Or just get more pumped for some ideas than others. And then just drop out of the Roleplays.

mind I'm on 1x1s so it's mostly the planning process where I drop.

but yeah it doesn't bother me because I know why people do it.

groups are a little different cuz it's more people involved, but I find it helps to go into a roleplay expecting half the people to bail in the first week.

Like, what's the point?

You said it all!

Alright so I've never actually had to deal nondescriptive RP characters as a GM(Yet. I'm new to this with only two RP topics and a PM RP that's more of a test run), but if I got something completely nondescriptive with no detail (saw something about that on, I think, page 8 of this topic) I'd have a field day with it, randomly changing the description of what the others saw when they looked at them until they got the message that they obviously hadn't described their characters enough...actually...I'd work with a GM to have a character like that! In a non-serious RP of course. More for something random or silly. 

First off your name gave me flashbacks to an old werewolf detective character with your exact name.

but also more relevantly I think it's a combination of poor time management and short attention span.

i do this all the time double book myself because I'll make a thread cuz I'm bored then get like twelve responses. I'll start talking to folks - realize I work with some better than others. Or just get more pumped for some ideas than others. And then just drop out of the Roleplays.

mind I'm on 1x1s so it's mostly the planning process where I drop.

but yeah it doesn't bother me because I know why people do it.

groups are a little different cuz it's more people involved, but I find it helps to go into a roleplay expecting half the people to bail in the first week.

Oh goodness. I shall now be Detective JujuBee- the one that howls at moons.

That's understandable though. I just wish people could try and work on it. Like I'll join a roleplay and it's usually the same people that do this around me and I'm just sitting here like- Why.

Lol but 1x1 is something that I don't get too upset over. But groups are the ones that make me mad. Their character has been weaved into the story, connecting with all of the other characters within it. Then the person not posting just ruins it all. This has happened to me on several occasions.

But then again I'm pretty sure I'm picky af with my role-plays lol.

Well i've been outta of the roleplaying game for awhile,and when I came back I'm being bombarded by those who lack aesthetics or a pride in mastery. I'm trying to say is that I encountred roleplayers who value chemistry & wavelength over Intelligence.  I was turned down for sticking to my aesthetics of savoring the moment of the Coup De Grace. Simply put being put in the roleplayers words " slow", "methodical",and To serious. 

Edgy, tall, dark, muscular, ex-military badass wannabe characters. Ultimately, you can only expect one kind of post from players who play this kind of characters: their characters flexing their muscles and beating up mobs of NPCs, and NEVER LOSING because they're 'badass'. That's not human, that's not a character, that's a fucking tool.

Edgy, tall, dark, muscular, ex-military badass wannabe characters. Ultimately, you can only expect one kind of post from players who play this kind of characters: their characters flexing their muscles and beating up mobs of NPCs, and NEVER LOSING because they're 'badass'. That's not human, that's not a character, that's a fucking tool.

Couldn't have put it better myself

I've probably said several of these already, but the frustration had built up and I need to complain about all of them :P

First off, it bothers me when just because the other player cannot think of anything, they assume that you can't either. What I mean by this are situations where the other player assumes that a conversation ends because theirs had nothing else to say after they responded to what was asked or said to them. By extension, it's annoying when if a player can't see how to move the plot forward, they decide that there is nothing to be done about it without even asking your opinion.

The other thing which bothers me is when characters don't match the plot they were put in. This is mainly an outcome of 1x1 rps. One instance is when the plot is described as "Character A and Character B were forced into a situation and have to make the best of it", but then the other person's character is independent and won't let herself be forced into the situation to begin with or cooperate at all. Additionally, a situation where the driving plot point is the conflict between characters, but the other rper makes their character actively avoid confrontations or always act as the morally superior one.

Finally, the thing which I've decided irritates me the most is when people don't leave a logical way for you to respond. There's nothing more frustrating than characters who actively walk away from a conversation, fall asleep for no reason, or ignore the other character despite how persistent that character is in trying to get their attention. Especially in a 1x1 rp rp, there is no way to proceed if one character is constantly avoiding or ignoring the other character. I'm only willing to try to chase a character for so long before I start getting pissed off about having to do so. Must conversations last longer than two sentences, so a character shouldn't be wandering off as though there's nothing more to be said  

My pet peeve, out of hand CS, I join plenty of zombie roleplays and there is always someone who makes a military character, or someone with an out of ordinary fire arm, and somehow has a lot of ammunition, it pisses me off and majority of the time I leave cuz I don't want to have to deal with uncreative shit heads who make a military character because it makes them feel like they have an advantage in the roleplay. Especially when they add in swords, I mean are you bloody kidding me? I refuse to believe that you happen to have a suppressed Mp5 with 100 rounds on you and two weird ass looking swords. There is no creativity to that, my characters end up being normal every day people who have normal jobs that don't even come close to any careers that involve fire arms.

or if their character just happens to have superior fire arm experience, bull fucking shit, your character is like a kid to me, out some damn training wheels 

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno if I'm beating a dead horse here or not, but my RP pet peeve is when you have someone who feels the need to have everything, and I mean everything centric around their character. Like there's I'm in where the person's character had already had their own arc and everything and I didn't try to steal the show or anything because it was a good arc. But as soon as mine has something going on, it  HAS to affect the other character some how. Because literally everything and I mean everything has to.  Am I the only one who gets extremely annoyed when this happens?

Same here buddy, been in that position, it's best to create something that'll contradict them or even hinder their character, once made someone's character have some terrible bone disease, needless to say it hindered their character a lot and they left, one of my proudest moments

People who get huffy if I correct them on errors... specifically cultural errors, mind you. I get that not everyone is familiar or knowledgeable, but if I don't tell them, they'll continue remaining ignorant. I hate them when they pretend to be all that, but really only know a white-washed version of things. If they get huffy when I correct them I get an urge to punch their ego dicks. e v e

As long as you don't correct me on the Hispanic/Mexican culture we'll get along just fine

suppressed Mp5 with 100 rounds on you and two weird ass looking swords

A gentle reminder that zombie rps attract the worst kind of crowds who think that muh eastern swords can cut through bone cleanly, and that swords of any kind aren't a weight and a half to bear.

A gentle reminder that zombie rps attract the worst kind of crowds who think that muh eastern swords can cut through bone cleanly, and that swords of any kind aren't a weight and a half to bear.

It just brings in all the damn walking dead fans, honestly for me that show kind of ruined zombies. Nothing but fanboys/girls who think they suddenly have massive knowledge about the undead without the slightest clue about true human anatomy and physiology.

My personal biggest pet peeve that I can think of on a tired brain is when I post a wonderfully crafted post and what do I get as a reply to my post of a couple paragraphs? Oh right... a line or two filled with headache inducing words that can't ever under any conditions be considered a sentence. With text speak put in just to really kick me in the privates. I swear, this decade is easily the worst in the history of roleplaying. It's like the art of the quality roleplayer in the text format has met the dark ages.... in every bad connotation imaginable.

My personal biggest pet peeve that I can think of on a tired brain is when I post a wonderfully crafted post and what do I get as a reply to my post of a couple paragraphs? Oh right... a line or two filled with headache inducing words that can't ever under any conditions be considered a sentence. With text speak put in just to really kick me in the privates. I swear, this decade is easily the worst in the history of roleplaying. It's like the art of the quality roleplayer in the text format has met the dark ages.... in every bad connotation imaginable.
Eh, I'm OK with people using text speak, but yeah, 1-2 sentences like that really blows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back