Roleplay Pet Peeves

My pet peeve, out of hand CS, I join plenty of zombie roleplays and there is always someone who makes a military character, or someone with an out of ordinary fire arm, and somehow has a lot of ammunition, it pisses me off and majority of the time I leave cuz I don't want to have to deal with uncreative shit heads who make a military character because it makes them feel like they have an advantage in the roleplay. Especially when they add in swords, I mean are you bloody kidding me? I refuse to believe that you happen to have a suppressed Mp5 with 100 rounds on you and two weird ass looking swords. There is no creativity to that, my characters end up being normal every day people who have normal jobs that don't even come close to any careers that involve fire arms.

or if their character just happens to have superior fire arm experience, bull fucking shit, your character is like a kid to me, out some damn training wheels 

you won't beleive how easily a fully automatic weapon can run out of ammunition. the Big issue with an MP5 is that it is a spray and pray weapon and as a GM, you can penalize them for spraying and praying, by literally docking around 25 rounds every turn they fire, because they will literally go through a quarter or third of their ammo on just a normal series of shots, because there is no realistic way you can take single shots with a fully automatic weapon.

military officers tend to have a purely decorative saber as a sign of rank. commissioned with their name engraved on the hilt. i wouldn't have allowed the guy to carry 2 katanas without pointing out the extreme fragility of the katana's slender blade and how easy it is to shatter a modern factory made katana, which are the only kind he would be able to realistically acquire,  because there is no way a field soldier could afford an authentic nihonto. let alone 2 of them.

so yes, bring your friggin soldier with the MP5 and twin katanas. Expect to run out of all 100 rounds after about 4 uses and expect those katanas to break if you use them for anything but slicing unarmored flesh.

Edgy, tall, dark, muscular, ex-military badass wannabe characters. Ultimately, you can only expect one kind of post from players who play this kind of characters: their characters flexing their muscles and beating up mobs of NPCs, and NEVER LOSING because they're 'badass'. That's not human, that's not a character, that's a fucking tool.

real Ex Military Soldiers are anything but badass. they probably have PTSD, are walking on a prosthetic leg, have extreme hearing loss from all the sounds of gunfire, have tendonitus from constantly pressing triggers repetitively, have permanent injuries that prevent them from holding down a job, and are generally living on disabled veterans grants because they sacrificed their livelyhood defending their country and deserve respect.

A gentle reminder that zombie rps attract the worst kind of crowds who think that muh eastern swords can cut through bone cleanly, and that swords of any kind aren't a weight and a half to bear.

not only are Swords a Weight and a Half to bear. so is friggin Armor. Kevlar is not Lightweight. plus, you really can't wear kevlar over the joints without heavily slowing and restricting your movements. i mean, a kevlar vest is lighter than a hauberk or a breastplate. but it is still friggin heavy.. i mean just a kevlar vest alone for a typical adult human of average sizes is about 12-20 pounds.  that is not light.

Last edited by a moderator:
you won't beleive how easily a fully automatic weapon can run out of ammunition. the Big issue with an MP5 is that it is a spray and pray weapon and as a GM, you can penalize them for spraying and praying, by literally docking around 25 rounds every turn they fire, because they will literally go through a quarter or third of their ammo on just a normal series of shots, because there is no realistic way you can take single shots with a fully automatic weapon.

military officers tend to have a purely decorative saber as a sign of rank. commissioned with their name engraved on the hilt. i wouldn't have allowed the guy to carry 2 katanas without pointing out the extreme fragility of the katana's slender blade and how easy it is to shatter a modern factory made katana, which are the only kind he would be able to realistically acquire,  because there is no way a field soldier could afford an authentic nihonto. let alone 2 of them.

so yes, bring your friggin soldier with the MP5 and twin katanas. Expect to run out of all 100 rounds after about 4 uses and expect those katanas to break if you use them for anything but slicing unarmored flesh.

Pretty much why I refuse to join most zombie rp's now

Pretty much why I refuse to join most zombie rp's now

it is merely a case of beating the munchkin with logic. many munchkins like carrying weapons they percieve to be powerful. you just use the logical flaws of their weapon against them, or point out that their weapon draws so much attention that the majority of the zombies are focused on their soldier. the soldier generally dies first in most zombie films, and usually because they bite off more than they can chew because they try too hard to be Badass Mcheroton. now, if somebody actually had a profession that didn't lend themselves well to fighting zombies or general survival skills. such as an Accountant or an Otaku. i would probably work to increase their lifespan by allowing them to effectively draw less aggro and hide more easily while the soldier fights zombies.

or what i would do to mix things up, is give the zombies the attributes and skills they had when they were living people, meaning you get zombie engineers, zombie soldiers and zombie scouts. meaning said zombies aren't so much mindless, as much as thinking calculative killing machines. which makes the zombies much deadlier, because now they can climb ladders, dismantle walls and open doors.

it is merely a case of beating the munchkin with logic. many munchkins like carrying weapons they percieve to be powerful. you just use the logical flaws of their weapon against them, or point out that their weapon draws so much attention that the majority of the zombies are focused on their soldier. the soldier generally dies first in most zombie films, and usually because they bite off more than they can chew because they try too hard to be Badass Mcheroton. now, if somebody actually had a profession that didn't lend themselves well to fighting zombies or general survival skills. such as an Accountant or an Otaku. i would probably work to increase their lifespan by allowing them to effectively draw less aggro and hide more easily while the soldier fights zombies.

or what i would do to mix things up, is give the zombies the attributes and skills they had when they were living people, meaning you get zombie engineers, zombie soldiers and zombie scouts. meaning said zombies aren't so much mindless, as much as thinking calculative killing machines. which makes the zombies much deadlier, because now they can climb ladders, dismantle walls and open doors.

Alright? Didnt ask for a lecture but alright 

My personal biggest pet peeve that I can think of on a tired brain is when I post a wonderfully crafted post and what do I get as a reply to my post of a couple paragraphs? Oh right... a line or two filled with headache inducing words that can't ever under any conditions be considered a sentence. With text speak put in just to really kick me in the privates. I swear, this decade is easily the worst in the history of roleplaying. It's like the art of the quality roleplayer in the text format has met the dark ages.... in every bad connotation imaginable.

I find a good way to get around this is to ask for roleplay samples. As people don't always read/remember your exact post length requirements but if you ask them for a post sample they're going to have to give you something somewhat substantial. As I have never known anyone who regularly writes like five sentences or less to actually have a writing sample.

Which is a little odd now I think about it. Like the people that write 2000 + words will usually be like oh yeah here's a link to an excerpt from my last novel post. But the people who do like a paragraph ( five sentences ) act like you're speaking in tongues. I would think the less words would be easier to provide a sample for. It's not like it takes that long to write five sentences. But whatever random tangent not important.

Alright? Didnt ask for a lecture but alright 

sorry. i was merely giving a few tips on how you can challenge or punish the ex military badass with a walking armory in game during a zombie apocalypse roleplay. even a suppressed fully automatic firearm is bound to draw a lot of attention due to the sheer number of dead bodies it makes with its rate of fire. and if one guy is trying to kill all the zombies, he is probably the center of their attention. so yes, Badass Mcheroton gets to be Badass Mcheroton for a short time and dies anyway.

sorry. i was merely giving a few tips on how you can challenge or punish the ex military badass with a walking armory in game during a zombie apocalypse roleplay. even a suppressed fully automatic firearm is bound to draw a lot of attention due to the sheer number of dead bodies it makes with its rate of fire. and if one guy is trying to kill all the zombies, he is probably the center of their attention. so yes, Badass Mcheroton gets to be Badass Mcheroton for a short time and dies anyway.

Ah, I can see and understand your stance, but that requires me to actually have to argue with the individual who made the CS and I'd rather not deal with that, it's easier for me if I just leave and move on to a new roleplay. If the gm really wants to keep me then they'll do something about the military character, chances are I wouldn't return anyways.

Oh Resident Evil 6, why did you have to suck?

Ah, I can see and understand your stance, but that requires me to actually have to argue with the individual who made the CS and I'd rather not deal with that, it's easier for me if I just leave and move on to a new roleplay. If the gm really wants to keep me then they'll do something about the military character, chances are I wouldn't return anyways.

i actually dislike military characters in zombie roleplays. but i would approve them with stipulations that at least try to balance the character in question

i actually dislike military characters in zombie roleplays. but i would approve them with stipulations that at least try to balance the character in question

I used to be like that but over time it was getting annoying to the point that I now have a no tolerance policy about such characters

I used to be like that but over time it was getting annoying to the point that I now have a no tolerance policy about such characters

if everybody out there had a no Tolerance Policy for Munchkining, it would do nothing to Help Reform the Munchkins and would Alienate new Roleplayers who were honestly unaware. i used to be a Filthy Little Munchkin, and didn't know why i was being booted out of Roleplays, until i learned how to balance characters and during that course, my characters were too flawed, so i worked hard on not playing useless characters who also weren't brokenly overpowered. i mean, i would still play an Otaku in a Zombie Apocalypse game, but i would at least try to give them a sensible professional skill. for example, an Otaku who works as an accountant at a hospital and knows how to pirate video games. the character isn't completely useless, but isn't the cliched military badass.

at the same time, it is bad form to play a spellcaster in Lankmahr because Conan and crew would kill any sorcerer they found.

People not reading your full posts due to laziness >.>

It isn't  that big of a problem most of the time, it is, however, a problem when my character asks them a question and they suddenly get blanked for no reason.

It wasn't even a big post, like 6 lines.

Biggest pet peeves recently. 

1) the people that complain constantly about other characters ooc, and 'well my character just impaled dude in the bar, someone should notice.' when it was only myself and her online, and I was waiting for a reply from another character.

2) people that hop around like crazy. 

me: everyone is eating dinner, makes a couple comments to other character

other character: replies while finishing dinner, and then runs off to some other part of the house where my character has no right to be, or no reason to be right then. 

me: finds reason to go talk to other character, makes a couple more comments to start conversation

and repeat. 

Made worse by the fact it was a 1 x 1

Whenever people force you to change random stuff about your character (such as height, weight or nationality) for no reason at all. 

i hate this too. though i would add cup size, haircolor and eyecolor to the list too. i make points to Specify that Umbrie is flat as an ironing board to match her small and underdeveloped frame, but people keep telling me to give her bigger breasts when bigger breasts would ruin her innocent appearance. even worse is when they dictate these details about your character because they are too unimaginative to imagine something like a modestly clad alluring small framed adult who isn't well endowed and is the complete opposite of chainmail bikini babe.

i hate this too. though i would add cup size, haircolor and eyecolor to the list too. i make points to Specify that Umbrie is flat as an ironing board to match her small and underdeveloped frame, but people keep telling me to give her bigger breasts when bigger breasts would ruin her innocent appearance. even worse is when they dictate these details about your character because they are too unimaginative to imagine something like a modestly clad alluring small framed adult who isn't well endowed and is the complete opposite of chainmail bikini babe.

Damn pervs... xD  

IMG_1679.JPG

if everybody out there had a no Tolerance Policy for Munchkining, it would do nothing to Help Reform the Munchkins and would Alienate new Roleplayers who were honestly unaware. i used to be a Filthy Little Munchkin, and didn't know why i was being booted out of Roleplays, until i learned how to balance characters and during that course, my characters were too flawed, so i worked hard on not playing useless characters who also weren't brokenly overpowered. i mean, i would still play an Otaku in a Zombie Apocalypse game, but i would at least try to give them a sensible professional skill. for example, an Otaku who works as an accountant at a hospital and knows how to pirate video games. the character isn't completely useless, but isn't the cliched military badass.

at the same time, it is bad form to play a spellcaster in Lankmahr because Conan and crew would kill any sorcerer they found.

Honestly you get confusing sometimes man

Honestly you get confusing sometimes man

i used to be a munchkin, got kicked out of RPs for it, started giving my characters a mountain of flaws, which bothered other players, and struggled to learn a sensible balance of strengths and weaknesses. if everybody rejected characters for being too overpowered or too underpowered, people would have nobody to help them with character balancing. munchkins can be reformed if they value actually roleplaying over being badass, which generally requires somebody to communicate with the munchkin like an adult and maybe force compromises. like putting limited uses on Army Guy's weaponry to keep them from breaking things.

i used to be a munchkin, got kicked out of RPs for it, started giving my characters a mountain of flaws, which bothered other players, and struggled to learn a sensible balance of strengths and weaknesses. if everybody rejected characters for being too overpowered or too underpowered, people would have nobody to help them with character balancing. munchkins can be reformed if they value actually roleplaying over being badass, which generally requires somebody to communicate with the munchkin like an adult and maybe force compromises. like putting limited uses on Army Guy's weaponry to keep them from breaking things.

Ah I see

lots of people have a No Tolerance Policy for Munchkins, i try to work with them to redial thier character to better fit the intended setting. generally using a form of common sense, because most RP munchkins try to ignore common sense and say "Logic has no place in fantasy" or whatever the equivalent copout is. when you use common sense, it reigns in most munchkin builds. most Munchkins generally expect to be able to wear armor and carry a small armory, but don't want to deal with it slowing them down. and they usually take combat oriented skillsets, because combat numbers are the easiest thing in most systems to optimize.

Ok so this was a couple of years ago on a whole other site.

So I had a post-apocalypse RP that was going pretty well, we're all having a good time. And this dude puts up his character sheet. And for context, this site didn't allow you to post pictures you didn't own, so character appearances were written out. Now. This guy, his description is literally: dark hair crutch.

No more.

No less.

Just. Dark hair crutch.

I'm haunted by the sheer amount of laziness to this day like what even am I supposed to get from that?

Dark hair crutch? DARK HAIR CRUTCH?! I'm seriously laughing my butt off over here. Exactly how's one supp-never mind, don't answer that but seriously that's too funny. 

Oh, and like someone else had said previously; other people saying that you have to or should change some aspect of YOUR character. Yeah, no. I had RP'ed with someone who had commented this about my character Terrence (who usually has his eyes closed); "Does he have gold eyes? (Why yes since his sisters have gold eyes, he does too.) If so, we're going to have a problem!" Or another, this time regarding my character's name; "Uh, can you change their middle name? I have a personal character with that name who helped me through personal problems...You can't call them (First name)! I have a character with that name so it's (get this) COPYRIGHTED by (their character). I wish I was making this up, but unfortunately I am not. But, I am relieved to say I no longer RP with this person and never will go back. -_________- 

Some of these stories are terrifying!

Dark hair crutch? DARK HAIR CRUTCH?! I'm seriously laughing my butt off over here. Exactly how's one supp-never mind, don't answer that but seriously that's too funny. 

Oh, and like someone else had said previously; other people saying that you have to or should change some aspect of YOUR character. Yeah, no. I had RP'ed with someone who had commented this about my character Terrence (who usually has his eyes closed); "Does he have gold eyes? (Why yes since his sisters have gold eyes, he does too.) If so, we're going to have a problem!" Or another, this time regarding my character's name; "Uh, can you change their middle name? I have a personal character with that name who helped me through personal problems...You can't call them (First name)! I have a character with that name so it's (get this) COPYRIGHTED by (their character). I wish I was making this up, but unfortunately I am not. But, I am relieved to say I no longer RP with this person and never will go back. -_________- 

Some of these stories are terrifying!

i actually don't care what your character's name is with the exception that it has to be passable under the naming conventions of the character's place of birth. i don't even care if you have a French Given Name, a Japanese Middle Name and an Arabic Surname. there are people like that on Earth. hell, i named my Flagship Character Umbrie Aniri, Umbrie is Short for Umbriere, meaning Shroud, and Aniri, is irina Backwards, and Ilina comes fro princess Ilina, who was a generous and forgiving person, so the intended translation amounts to Generous Night. representing a Sweet and Good Natured Child of the Night. the Ironic thing is she uses Drow Equipment because she is on Trading Terms with them.

so go ahead and name your characters. Even if you stole the names from a friend or even a popular character from a Major Franchise. i even named a perpetually Hysterical Bloodthirsty Psychic Warrior Eryn Jaeger in a Tabletop game. despite her being absolutely nothing like her namesake. she even friggin conjured Falchions.

THAT IS, if their player doesnt throw a shit fit, or bullshits his way through, like "oh but he's a badass, see, he's a trained killer he knows how to kill mobs with his bare hands."

At which point, people really should just quit.

THAT IS, if their player doesnt throw a shit fit, or bullshits his way through, like "oh but he's a badass, see, he's a trained killer he knows how to kill mobs with his bare hands."

At which point, people really should just quit.

truesies. you got me there. but i would ask "What is a Trained Career Murderer doing outside of a maximum security prison?" and "How the Hell does he retain his Murdering Skills without being locked up on a 5150?"

i agree it would be faster to simply Veto Badass Mcheroton.

"What are your motives?" "Does your character have any friends or family?" "Does your character have a career they transitioned into after they left the military?"

i would force them to answer Questions.

ideally. but sometimes, i have to Veto thier character to speed things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back