Roleplay Pet Peeves

So can someone explain the difference between these following terms:

NPC

GMPC

Tagalong NPCS

Because right now I swear you're all arguing about the exact same thing. I'm sorry to go off the topic of pet peeves but I think this would benefit us all to know lol.

Badly Designed Tagalong NPC and GMPC are the Exact Same Thing. i'm sorry if i sounded like i was insinuating my term was more correct. i don't mind Tagalong NPCs/GMPCs if they are built fairly and don't step on the toes of the other players. just like i would hate it, if i built a Nymph Rogue with amazing social skills, another player built a wood elf ranger with amazing tracking ability, and some third guy built a Drow Slayer who had both the social skills of the Nymph Rogue and the Tracking Ability of the Wood Elf Ranger while being better than both of them in combat and just as good at both of them at finding traps and thus made the former 2 PCs redundant.

I would say you might want to stick to just describing the issue then rather than using terms. Because when you add in your own terms you just end up confusing people because they have no idea what you are talking about. Reading that post it wasn't until the end when I realized you were basically just talking about people who make special snowflake characters that are designed to be XXX times better than everyone else and the center of attention.

Which has nothing to do with NPCs or GMs as I understand it at all. And everything to do with the player being a dick

NPC

GMPC

Tagalong NPCS

Because right now I swear you're all arguing about the exact same thing. I'm sorry to go off the topic of pet peeves but I think this would benefit us all to know lol.

Npc - a character played by anyone temporarily  for a specific role. This term is more accurate in games tbh.

GMPC - game master player character? I don't know what this is xD

tagalong NPCs - a character that is stuck with the main group of player characters.

I think these are the correct definitions?

NPC

GMPC

Tagalong NPCS

That was the exact point I was making. That making up custom terms just confuses people. I couldn't tell you what @Umbrie means by them but going by acronyms alone

an NPC is a non-playable character. they exist in stories to move the plot along but aren't really meant to be treated like a playable character ( the character your creating for the story. ). Think of it like in video games where you have that stock character that gives you an intro or gives out quests - that's a classic example of an NPC.

a GMPC is a game master's playable character - or basically a playable character created by the owner of the roleplay that was originally advertised as similar to a NPC.

No idea what the last one is.

edit; Ninja's by @Trust (no longer online) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Npc - a character played by anyone temporarily  for a specific role. This term is more accurate in games tbh.

GMPC - game master player character? I don't know what this is xD

tagalong NPCs - a character that is stuck with the main group of player characters.

I think these are the correct definitions?

That was the exact point I was making. That making up custom terms just confuses people. I couldn't tell you what @Umbrie means by them but going by acronyms alone

an NPC is a non-playable character. they exist in stories to move the plot along but aren't really meant to be treated like a playable character ( the character your creating for the story. ). Think of it like in video games where you have that stock character that gives you an intro or gives out quests - that's a classic example of an NPC.

a GMPC is a game master's playable character - or basically a playable character created by the owner of the roleplay that was originally advertised as similar to a NPC.

No idea what the last one is.

Ok see, now we're getting somewhere with the definitions and what they are exactly. From @A Nerd Named Rae 's definition of a GMPC, all I'm taking from that is when the GM makes a character themselves and plays it. Or is that wrong. So let me try to think of an example of which one it is...

GM: This is our roleplay, Hunky-dory love chops. You're all going to make players for it and I'm going to make one as well.

OR is it:

GM: This is our roleplay, Hunky-dory love chops. You're all going to make players for it and I'm going to make one as well. I am also going to a character named Roy that's only going to move the plot along and give out instructions to the players.

Everyone else: Ok.

GM: *proceeds to use Roy not only with giving instructions but being there for literally everything else as if he's an actual character*

Ok see, now we're getting somewhere with the definitions and what they are exactly. From @A Nerd Named Rae 's definition of a GMPC, all I'm taking from that is when the GM makes a character themselves and plays it. Or is that wrong. So let me try to think of an example of which one it is...

GM: This is our roleplay, Hunky-dory love chops. You're all going to make players for it and I'm going to make one as well.

OR is it:

GM: This is our roleplay, Hunky-dory love chops. You're all going to make players for it and I'm going to make one as well. I am also going to a character named Roy that's only going to move the plot along and give out instructions to the players.

GM: *proceeds to use Roy not only with giving instructions but being there for literally everything else as if he's an actual character*

It's basically the second one. Or at least that was the idea that everyone was arguing over that was not cool to do in roleplays.

OR is it:

I don't know... I think a GMPC would usually do that stuff because that's the GMs character, I think you're thinking about NPCs. They should have as much influence on the story but the GM treats them as if they are PCs.

I don't know... I think a GMPC would usually do that stuff because that's the GMs character, I think you're thinking about NPCs. They should have as much influence on the story but the GM treats them as if they are PCs.

If you go by literal definition than yes. But the issue that everyone is arguing about isn't that the GM made a character. It is the GM made an "NPC" that is essentially used as a playable character. Therefore they are a GMPC.

That was the whole argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go by literal definition than yes. But the issue that everyone is arguing about isn't that the GM made a character. It is the GM made an "NPC" that is essentially used as a playable character. Therefore they are a GMPC.

That was the whole argument.

Oh.

GMPC is the wrong name for it then xD

it should be a GM"NP"C

i will try to Explain, even if it is extremely Confusing

an NPC is a Nonplayer Character

a GMPC is Advertised by the GM as an NPC Companion, but is literally the GM filling the perception that they for some reason need to play a character like everyone else, which detracts from their Role as Storyteller, a GMPC is Built using the same method as the PCs, General Takes Equal to or Greater Spotlight than a PC, and Generally fills a niche within the party. they can be used effectively and are a boon when used correctly, but are irksome when used incorrectly

a Tagalong NPC is an NPC that is part of the Entourage that follows the Player Characters. they can be anything from the Teamster hired to drive the Wagon to the caravan guard who protects the loot or the Orphan who Tags along because she has nowhere else to go and one of the PCs saved her. these NPCs serve a Very similar role to GMPCs, but are best referred to as the NPCs who Tag Along with the Party and Assist the PCs Rather than the NPCs smell like player characters and walk like them. they are Generally Minor characters of lesser importance and should generally have a minor focus on their goals to give them character, but should not be dedicated PCs.

You guys are still arguing about this?

I hate it when people are like "I'll join but only if you add x"

I havent' really come across it but second-hand hearing about it is just dissapointing

You guys are still arguing about this?

I hate it when people are like "I'll join but only if you add x"

I havent' really come across it but second-hand hearing about it is just dissapointing

Do you mean in groups or 1x1s. 

Had it happen both ways and it's super annoying. I'm always like yeah I don't need you in my roleplay that badly. So if your gonna come up here with an attitude you can turn right back around and bother someone else.

Another peeve is when people use "not being good" at something as an excuse to be lazy. Like they'll say "I'm not good at playing males" so that means you have to play all the male characters. Or "I'm not good at coming up with plot" as an excuse to make you do all the work of setting up the plot and world.

Like guess what I'm not good at coming up with the plot either. But I don't sit around making everyone else do all the work, I try. I put myself out there. Sure more often than not the roleplay fails within two weeks but at least I tried. I put some effort in. I didn't just expect other people to drag my limp body through the entire roleplay process.

Another peeve is when people use "not being good" at something as an excuse to be lazy. Like they'll say "I'm not good at playing males" so that means you have to play all the male characters. Or "I'm not good at coming up with plot" as an excuse to make you do all the work of setting up the plot and world.

Well to be fair, it's quite possible to suck at playing certain stuff. I can certainly sign up as a girl character,but it would essentially be a girl character who thinks like a man. :P  

Well to be fair, it's quite possible to suck at playing certain stuff. I can certainly sign up as a girl character,but it would essentially be a girl character who thinks like a man. :P  

Well first I don't think there is any such thing as thinking like a man or a woman. Unless your female character is some over the top stereotype damsel in distress she isn't really going to be that different than playing a man. Or she shouldn't.

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. If you think you are incapable of doing a specific thing that's fine. But don't expect other people to do it for you. If you don't want to play females than don't expect other people to play females for you. If you don't want to work on plots than don't expect other people to make a story for you. That's just lazy in my mind. You can be bad at something and still try. I'm not sitting here expecting the next JK Rowling to be world building across from me. Nor am I looking for a detailed pyscho-analysis of the feminine psyche.

If you at least do your best than that's all I ask. 

What pisses me off is when people use "not good at" as basically code for " I don't want to try so you do it."

Well first I don't think there is any such thing as thinking like a man or a woman. Unless your female character is some over the top stereotype damsel in distress she isn't really going to be that different than playing a man. Or she shouldn't.

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. If you think you are incapable of doing a specific thing that's fine. But don't expect other people to do it for you. If you don't want to play females than don't expect other people to play females for you. If you don't want to work on plots than don't expect other people to make a story for you. That's just lazy in my mind. You can be bad at something and still try. I'm not sitting here expecting the next JK Rowling to be world building across from me. Nor am I looking for a detailed pyscho-analysis of the feminine psyche.

If you at least do your best than that's all I ask. 

What pisses me off is when people use "not good at" as basically code for " I don't want to try so you do it."

Haha well I don't like to assert that women think differently than men...but they always prove me wrong. :P  

But hey, totally makes sense to get annoyed in that regard I guess. I typically would just drop them before they could "annoy" me,but it makes sense to get frustrated with these types of people. Although I think this is a 1 x 1 problem as I've never had anyone specifically ask me to be a waifu or husbando specifically. 

Haha well I don't like to assert that women think differently than men...but they always prove me wrong. :P  

But hey, totally makes sense to get annoyed in that regard I guess. I typically would just drop them before they could "annoy" me,but it makes sense to get frustrated with these types of people. Although I think this is a 1 x 1 problem as I've never had anyone specifically ask me to be a waifu or husbando specifically. 

Well again the character aspect wasn't really the crux of the issue. It's actually 99.9% of all 1x1 roleplays. Your asking someone to play a specific character in a plot. That isn't the problem. The problem is when you are basically using a lack of what you precieve as talent to be lazy and ask someone else to do all the work for you. They have to play the characters you don't want to play, they have to make the story cuz you don't feel like it, etc.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be equally talented at all aspects of roleplay. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I'm just saying that using the excuse of not being perfect to not even bother to try is doing yourself and your partner a disservice. I'm not here to write stories by myself, if I wanted to do that I'd find my old fictionpress account and log back in.

Do you mean in groups or 1x1s. 

Had it happen both ways and it's super annoying. I'm always like yeah I don't need you in my roleplay that badly. So if your gonna come up here with an attitude you can turn right back around and bother someone else.

Like guess what I'm not good at coming up with the plot either. But I don't sit around making everyone else do all the work, I try. I put myself out there. Sure more often than not the roleplay fails within two weeks but at least I tried. I put some effort in. I didn't just expect other people to drag my limp body through the entire roleplay process.

Yes....yes....YES! This deserves more than one rating. I totally agree. You never know what you are good at unless you try. When I first started roleplaying I only played female characters but after a bit I decided to play male characters and after some practice, I enjoyed a change. It can be good to try something new once in a while.

a GMPC is just an NPC that demands equal Spotlight to the PCs, is Built using an Identical process to a PC, Fills a Vital Party Role like a PC, and is Deluded into Thinking they are a PC, but in all reality, they were an NPC Designed by the DM who was deluded into thinking they needed a PC of their own when they already have control of every other NPC out there and would be better off Running a Hireling or Henchman to a PC that has control over Said NPC in combat. meaning i Allow PCs to control their own Henchmen and hired hirelings. but they have to fund each hireling or henchmen they use out of their own funds somehow.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...  Btw, tossing the word deluded around doesn't get you anywhere.  Also, believe it or not, there are GMs who let their players create and control NPCs; and I obviously disagree with your "better off" recommendation.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...  Btw, tossing the word deluded around doesn't get you anywhere.  Also, believe it or not, there are GMs who let their players create and control NPCs; and I obviously disagree with your "better off" recommendation.

I think we've hashed out the terminology debate enough for now. If @Umbrie and you would like to discuss it further your welcome to start another thread around that topic. 

Ahh I just suddenly remembered one time on this site, I joined a cliche vampire school RP because why not. Now from the get go it was obvious that the thread was one of those threads where it's kind of like a 1x1 RP extended to other people but it's obvious the creator intended to interact mainly with one other person. That peeves me, sure, but what pissed me off more was this one guy with a German character.

Ooh, German vampire, sehr schauerlich! Well. It was clear this guy only had German for the Edge Factor™.

And my lord, the broken German has stuck in my mind, haunting me. The words "Meine Meister". They hurt. Why would you refer to your lord as a professional of something with the wrong pronoun? 

Like for fuck's sake, you go through the trouble of making a character and can't do a simple Google search on how to say "my lord" in German.

And this extends beyond German, obviously. People making their characters from some country different than their own for the purpose of making them seem cooler or more exotic, in a sense. And what's worse is if they butcher the language or culture associated with whatever nationality they picked for their dude, it's pure laziness and kind of derogatory.

In my honest opinion, the only reason you should have for making a character a certainty nationality is "why not?"

One of my factions could speak Latin, but because no one in this post apocalytic world Had studied Latin for over 200 years I specified that the Latin was spoken like English so I wouldn't have to learn Latin grammar which is notoriously evil and confusing.

In essence I created my own language because I'm lazy.

When people begin their introduction or worse the whole RP with "I'm booooored." Or otherwise a character wishing the events of the RP would happen. It's so rarely feels natural and gives very little sense of who the character is.

One time the GM got pissy about us not responding like more than three times a day with a detailed response or something like that. Long story short we all told the GM we had lives and the GM proceeded to delete everything. All of our work and posts.

And the list continues.

I have always made a note in any request thread I've done to add I write a lot and given access to samples. With this info at hand, I dislike when I put up my first post in the thread only to be made to feel guilty for writing a lot. You knew what you were coming into so why even put us down this road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back