Roleplay Pet Peeves

I have a long list I made over long time, but I'll only post a few.

• People who make anti social characters then complain that they get left out of the plot.
  • People who make couple characters but they all have the same personality.
  • When people try to out tragedy your characters, like your character family was killed then someone makes a new character and their whole hometown was wiped out infont of their eyes.
  • When people make what I call "Counter characters", who only exist to counter someone else's character.
  • When people who have several characters and they don't specify who is talking.

I'll post more laters.

I have a long list I made over long time, but I'll only post a few.

• People who make anti social characters then complain that they get left out of the plot.
  • People who make couple characters but they all have the same personality.
  • When people try to out tragedy your characters, like your character family was killed then someone makes a new character and their whole hometown was wiped out infont of their eyes.
  • When people make what I call "Counter characters", who only exist to counter someone else's character.
  • When people who have several characters and they don't specify who is talking.

I'll post more laters.

i Agree that Counter Characters and Interchangeable Characters are Extremely Annoying.

Anti Social Loners are Something i would never allow at a Table because they have no reason to play in the plot.

I think my biggest pet peeve has to be being rushed to do several posts a day or just get a post up for the day and night. I don't do that with other people but when it's done to me, I withdraw from the roleplay immediately. It feels more like work and it sucks out the fun entirely. I understand the excitement to push the story forwards but I have things to do too and I can't always be spewing out posts.

One of my second roleplaying pet peeves is when some female roleplayers take advantage of the fact that I play male characters so fondly only to realize that I've been completely set up to play out their fantasies; it doesn't matter if it's an original or canon character, it's just happened a lot to me but I know not all are like that.

@Divine_Stalker @Umbrie

I will say 'counter' characters aren't always bad... though typically those cases involve coordination between the players with the counter character primarily being there to help build up the main character. 

Socially awkward characters personally I find fun when done right. My favorite way to do it isn't to make them the quiet type usually, but have them try and overplay themselves. It leads to a lot more hilarity helping to form many awkward scenarios. Usually Shy and more reclusive characters you need people around who can try and interact with them. Ideally the best way for that is for the character themselves to do stuff to stand out. It can be fun playing the super shy type where their 'work' ends up getting them a lot of attention and force them into those kind of situations... but you obviously have to act and can't just be expected to be carried along either. ^^;;

A couple ones on my list.

• PEOPLE WHO FORGET CAPITALS! Capitalized for emphasis. When you get stuff like 'hey i want to join' where they don't capitalize letters they are suppose to. Some goof ups with grammar I can withstand, but missing capitals really just drives me up a wall.
  • Characters who have all magic powers. Primarily its when someone tries to be 'special snowflake' by having every single power they can. In an RP with say elements that everyone has one, they will try and push that they have multiple AND they are an expert melee fighter. Basically trying to have it all and be good with it all. A good sign of someone wanting to make an OP character.
  • Angsty Teen. Naturally I'm not really saying it as a 'teen thing' but the type. Typically the always down 'the world sucks' type done to an extreme. Brooding can work but way to often its over-done.  
  • 1 line posting. I do tend to lean on the more detailed side so I do like decent length posts but I understand shorter responses. When your getting to a one line response giving no detail at all and being so vague it makes it hard to work with. Its good to have more to go with such as what exactly was done, or how the character actually acted to get a better idea of what happened to play off from the post. 
  • Ignoring someone's response. I'm not meaning just straight up ignoring a post (well it could apply but its not the main focus of my peeve) it is when the person will respond to your post and seemingly neglect details you made in that post. Naturally dialog can be purposely ignored or skipped over (granted it usually is good to mention the character purposely did it) but I'll see posts where something the character did is completely ignored and the person places your character in a way you never originally detailed it out for them to be at or you moved them away from.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a Difference between Antisocial and Socially Awkward Characters

Socially Awkward characters like the Shy Teen who doesn't know how to interact with others are fine if they put an effort to interact with the plot, the Brooding Emo Loner  with no attachments is the real issue

To add on to the military and gun talk...

Do you know what I want to see? Someone acknowledge how painfully loud gunfire is. I want to see a character get tinnitus. : P

When someone puts up an interest check stating exactly how many people they want in a RP,  but there are way more people showing up than the number. 

> "Only 2 people please!"

> 6 posts from 6 people showing interest, each post stretched out enough in time to where they know the limit has been met, but they still hope that the number will change magically. 

> You tell the last 4 they aren't in.

> 2 of them get upset, as if they weren't expecting it.

Brand new in my 'Great book of Grievances': People who decide to use roleplaying for their fangirl/fanboy romances. Specifically those who play a 'fan', also known as themselves. 

Brand new in my 'Great book of Grievances': People who decide to use roleplaying for their fangirl/fanboy romances. Specifically those who play a 'fan', also known as themselves. 

I myself actually don't care about that heck i do it myself sometimes , roleplaying is to live out fantasies and stories.

When someone puts up an interest check stating exactly how many people they want in a RP,  but there are way more people showing up than the number. 

> "Only 2 people please!"

> 6 posts from 6 people showing interest, each post stretched out enough in time to where they know the limit has been met, but they still hope that the number will change magically. 

> You tell the last 4 they aren't in.

> 2 of them get upset, as if they weren't expecting it.

I hate this. It's very hard to create a roleplay that has a limited amount of spots and then have more than that number of people show interest. What's even worse to me is when the GM has everyone create the character they want to use and then decides. I just hate the fact that at the end of the day, someone is going to be rejected and it'll cause major problems if that person isnt good at handling the rejection. Just extra drama that's seriously not needed. 

• People who are rude when you say something you dislike about a character.

• People who extend their posts by RPing multiple characters at once (I don't mind it if both characters have a decent length of post, but it's when they do something like this:

generic good guy 1: Hello fellow generic good guy!

generic good guy 2: That is a very nice way of you greeting me!

generic good guy 1: Look! Villains!

generic good guy 2: I see them!

etc etc.

that's technically a four line post, despite it taking almost no effort and not contributing very much.

• cheesey names like "flame" or "Frost"

To add on to the military and gun talk...

Do you know what I want to see? Someone acknowledge how painfully loud gunfire is. I want to see a character get tinnitus. : P

a lot of roleplayers are either Oblivious to how painfully loud gunfire is or don't care and seem to ignore it because they don't want their badass hero to be deaf. there are plenty of Reasons Umbrie-Chan uses knives and school supplies as weapons. because death by a thrown pencil to the throat is even more badass than a headshot, because of how inferior throwing a pencil is to firing even a pistol.

cheesey names like "flame" or "Frost"

Umbrie is short for Umbriere, meaning Shroud, her Surname Aniri is Irina Backwards. and Irina is a Variant Spelling of Ilina, which was the name of a Generous and Understanding Greek Princess. so the Full name of Umbriere Aniri translates to "Generous and Understanding Shroud" or "Shroud of Generosity and Understanding". which is a Reference to Umbrie's primary Virtues of Generosity, Understanding, Kindness and Hospitality. despite her being a fey assassin.

i admit, i had Rinnie, Pyrus, and Aquina, Terrucia, Lumiere, as the names of 5 of Umbrie's younger Sisters. named after something pertaining to their different elements rather obviously. i admit i put no real creativity in their names and they are barely better than the names of the kingdom hearts keyblade masters. but at the time, their mother was a complete Weeb with an Obsession over the Elements and would have probably wrote Stories on Stone Tablets that Vaguely Resemble bad Avatar Fanfiction.

a lot of roleplayers are either Oblivious to how painfully loud gunfire is or don't care and seem to ignore it because they don't want their badass hero to be deaf. there are plenty of Reasons Umbrie-Chan uses knives and school supplies as weapons. because death by a thrown pencil to the throat is even more badass than a headshot, because of how inferior throwing a pencil is to firing even a pistol.

Umbrie is short for Umbriere, meaning Shroud, her Surname Aniri is Irina Backwards. and Irina is a Variant Spelling of Ilina, which was the name of a Generous and Understanding Greek Princess. so the Full name of Umbriere Aniri translates to "Generous and Understanding Shroud" or "Shroud of Generosity and Understanding". which is a Reference to Umbrie's primary Virtues of Generosity, Understanding, Kindness and Hospitality. despite her being a fey assassin.

i admit, i had Rinnie, Pyrus, and Aquina, Terrucia, Lumiere, as the names of 5 of Umbrie's younger Sisters. named after something pertaining to their different elements rather obviously. i admit i put no real creativity in their names and they are barely better than the names of the kingdom hearts keyblade masters. but at the time, their mother was a complete Weeb with an Obsession over the Elements and would have probably wrote Stories on Stone Tablets that Vaguely Resemble bad Avatar Fanfiction.

Those are still better than stuff like "storm" 

Some more peeves 

• When people try and force there character to have a relationship with someone else's character, or force ship.
  • When someone rubs their better writeing style on your face or try and use it to try and instant win in a fight.
  • When people have their character simply dodge something but doesn't say how they did, such as "My characters avoids it." Instead of saying they sidestepped or something.
  • When people try and make their character a special snowflake or make them the center of attention.

Some more peeves 

• When people try and force there character to have a relationship with someone else's character, or force ship.
  • When someone rubs their better writeing style on your face or try and use it to try and instant win in a fight.
  • When people have their character simply dodge something but doesn't say how they did, such as "My characters avoids it." Instead of saying they sidestepped or something.
  • When people try and make their character a special snowflake or make them the center of attention.

1. i hate forced shipping as well, Wanna ship your OC? earn a willing ship by roleplaying in a manner that pleases the character. Umbrie will not merely become your Automata doll after merely one night of you buying her sweets.

2. there is a difference between using logic to win a fight and trying to use a godmodded character and attribute it to your skills. most of the time, the skills did hardly any of the work, the character's heavy power advantage did all the heavy lifting.

3. come up with a description of your dodge and have a consequence. even if it is something simple as the bullet painfully grazing your shoulder in an irksome manner. not every hit need be a kill shot.

4. i play loli nymphs with intelligence and charisma scores through the stratosphere and similar builds. i don't try to be the center of attention. i do the negotiation, the Party Beefsteak does the fighting and the party medic does the healing. while i might have enough healing skill to save the downed medic from dying, i'm not going to steal the spotlight of the guy who chose to be the medic.

Lol @Umbr

1. i hate forced shipping as well, Wanna ship your OC? earn a willing ship by roleplaying in a manner that pleases the character. Umbrie will not merely become your Automata doll after merely one night of you buying her sweets.

2. there is a difference between using logic to win a fight and trying to use a godmodded character and attribute it to your skills. most of the time, the skills did hardly any of the work, the character's heavy power advantage did all the heavy lifting.

3. come up with a description of your dodge and have a consequence. even if it is something simple as the bullet painfully grazing your shoulder in an irksome manner. not every hit need be a kill shot.

4. i play loli nymphs with intelligence and charisma scores through the stratosphere and similar builds. i don't try to be the center of attention. i do the negotiation, the Party Beefsteak does the fighting and the party medic does the healing. while i might have enough healing skill to save the downed medic from dying, i'm not going to steal the spotlight of the guy who chose to be the medic.

Just a heads up dear this is just a thread for people to post things that bother them. Once again you don't need to defend their pet peeves or offer feedback. If you agree that's fine but it's not necessary to justify the pet peeves through your own experience.

@Umbrie

I should of said people who use their skillful writing style to justify their Godmodding, such as they make a complex post where they draw their sword quickly, causing wind gusts around them making a cloud of dust erupt around them as they leap into the air then shoots bolts of lighting around their target so they can't try and dodge as they drop down on then and stabs them in the chest.

Yea one RP i was on long ago, someone did stuff like that.

@Umbrie hey, can you not use the word "loli", please? it makes me uncomfortable. 

sorriesies? may i ask why you find the Word Loli uncomfortable? i generally use it as a shorthand for a small framed female humanoid whom is old enough to be considered an adult by human standards but could potentially pass for far younger on a cosmetic level. usually due to a petite and underdeveloped frame that is still within the feasible level of human range.

@Umbrie

I should of said people who use their skillful writing style to justify their Godmodding, such as they make a complex post where they draw their sword quickly, causing wind gusts around them making a cloud of dust erupt around them as they leap into the air then shoots bolts of lighting around their target so they can't try and dodge as they drop down on then and stabs them in the chest.

Yea one RP i was on long ago, someone did stuff like that.

i hate that too. the godmodding portion would be the effortless conjuration of lightning and the power play portion is the automatic chest stabbing. attempting such a Nova of actions should have extreme strain to the attacker at the very least. and i don't mean shorten your thousand year lifespan by 1 or 2 years. i mean real consequences, most Dice RPs don't care if a given character only has 6 months to a year to live because they usually don't take enough IC time for lifespan to matter.

another Pet Peeve.

characters who are Extremely damned old, don't look anywhere near their age and don't have a Valid Excuse for it. i can understand this for Vampires and Fey, because Cellular Reconstruction. but without supernatural assistance, i doubt there is really a way your human character can be 10,000 years old and look and function like you were only 25. maybe you might get away with a 36-48 year old human who could pass for 12 when they dress up and apply makeup because they retain their small and cute appearance at great risk to their own health through something i call the neverland diet combined with amazing skincare, because there are people like that. the neverland diet isn't cheap and causes extreme internal harm in exchange for external youth. i know somebody who did it. diabetes is a common side effect of attempting it.

another Pet Peeve.

characters who are Extremely damned old, don't look anywhere near their age and don't have a Valid Excuse for it. i can understand this for Vampires and Fey, because Cellular Reconstruction. but without supernatural assistance, i doubt there is really a way your human character can be 10,000 years old and look and function like you were only 25. maybe you might get away with a 36-48 year old human who could pass for 12 when they dress up and apply makeup because they retain their small and cute appearance at great risk to their own health through something i call the neverland diet combined with amazing skincare, because there are people like that. the neverland diet isn't cheap and causes extreme internal harm in exchange for external youth. i know somebody who did it. diabetes is a common side effect of attempting it.

Well if someone tried to portray a twelve year old as a forty year old or vice versa I would be so skeeved out I would nope out of that roleplay faster than you can say "pervert."

Because that to me is some serious fetishizing of people and totally disgusting.  

Now if your going for instance a human that is in their fifties and they use a face claim in their thirties or early forties than I can see that. Some people do have youthful faces or take good enough care of themselves that they look younger than they are. 

But yeah a human being isn't going to live to be several thousand years old without some kind of explanation. Especially if they are in a more realistic roleplay where supernatural/powered explanations aren't available.

Then again finding good face claims for people that are older is a pain in the ass. So like I said if you want to say your fifty year old looks like this than whatever I can suspend some disbelief. But if you try to tell me they look like this , than um no and bye. 

But yeah people who use inappropriate face claims always make me headdesk.

Mostly this is when people just like put some punk rocker in the middle of a medieval fantasy roleplay. like dude come on at least try. 

Nothing makes me more annoyed than when people try to put some GQ model as a Wizard in Harry Potter. 

Like the Canon specifically states that Wizards don't wear muggle clothes properly. 

Idk it just irritates me. 

Well if someone tried to portray a twelve year old as a forty year old or vice versa I would be so skeeved out I would nope out of that roleplay faster than you can say "pervert."

Because that to me is some serious fetishizing of people and totally disgusting.  

Now if your going for instance a human that is in their fifties and they use a face claim in their thirties or early forties than I can see that. Some people do have youthful faces or take good enough care of themselves that they look younger than they are. 

But yeah a human being isn't going to live to be several thousand years old without some kind of explanation. Especially if they are in a more realistic roleplay where supernatural/powered explanations aren't available.

Then again finding good face claims for people that are older is a pain in the ass. So like I said if you want to say your fifty year old looks like this than whatever I can suspend some disbelief. But if you try to tell me they look like this , than um no and bye. 

my mother is almost 48, and she can pass for about 28. she takes skincare seriously and has taken skincare seriously since she was in primary school. she is also obsessive with her health and so on.

a 50 year old shouldn't be passing for 12. but it was an exaggeration to prove older characters can still appear drastically younger than their true age through clever use of skincare, makeup, clothing choice and diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back