Roleplay Pet Peeves

People who use out of character information that I didn't tell them about. Example, if they look at my character sheet and put that information in the roleplay. This is why I like character sheets on one hand and loathe them on another.

Well I look at it kind of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the one hand at least you know they read the character sheet. And you can always ask them to edit their post.

That's better than them seeming to pay zero attention to your character at all and just basically write whatever they want without paying attention to what other people are doing/saying. Had someone do that - like every time my character said anything ( and it was usually plot exposition type things as this was setting up the later story ) my partners character would just childlishly ignore whatever my character said and have deep inner monologues about how misunderstood they were.

Made me want to throw my computer monitor at the wall.

On the other hand if they continually have their character be omniscient and like respond to things your character is thinking than it gets annoying super fast. Like say I have Character A think to themselves, I hope character B isn't lost on their way to school. And the opening of character B's post is - Character A would be correct in thinking that Character B is lost.

Like your character isn't reading this roleplay like a novel. They should have no idea what my character is thinking idly to themselves.

People who use out of character information that I didn't tell them about. Example, if they look at my character sheet and put that information in the roleplay. This is why I like character sheets on one hand and loathe them on another.

Well I look at it kind of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the one hand at least you know they read the character sheet. And you can always ask them to edit their post.

That's better than them seeming to pay zero attention to your character at all and just basically write whatever they want without paying attention to what other people are doing/saying. Had someone do that - like every time my character said anything ( and it was usually plot exposition type things as this was setting up the later story ) my partners character would just childlishly ignore whatever my character said and have deep inner monologues about how misunderstood they were.

Made me want to throw my computer monitor at the wall.

On the other hand if they continually have their character be omniscient and like respond to things your character is thinking than it gets annoying super fast. Like say I have Character A think to themselves, I hope character B isn't lost on their way to school. And the opening of character B's post is - Character A would be correct in thinking that Character B is lost.

Like your character isn't reading this roleplay like a novel. They should have no idea what my character is thinking idly to themselves.

i like it when people actually pay attention to who the character is. but it bothers me when they use it to pull out a certain metagame reason, lets say i am in a storyline or competitive fight in a particular setting as a Nymph. people read medieval mythology and know a nymph is a type of faerie and know a faerie is highly vulnerable to cold iron weaponry as well as salt. so their modern human soldier with absolutely no way to gain accurate knowledge of faeries, literally starts firing cold iron hollow point bullets filled with salt. because out of character, they read up on nymphs and know a nymph's weaknesses, even if they have no in character way to justify the knowledge and absolutely no reasonable way to gain said cold iron bullets. cold iron is iron that has been shaped using medieval methods with neither the help of a forge nor the taint of coal. literally described as the purest of iron. that stuff cannot be factory made, i don't get how your navy seal even managed to actually commission somebody to make enough cold iron bullets for their MP5. a single cold iron ring made by hand and shaped using the required process sells for upwards of 300,000 USD.  if we use 300,000 USD as the price for a single cold iron bullet. where did your navy seal get the money for even one of these bullets? let alone a whole magazine or few loaded with them? would the United States government literally waste that much money so one soldier can slaughter a single nymph?

so while Reading character sheets can be positive in a storyline due to it showing engagement. it can be the work of some filfthy munchkin searching for a weakness in your character to exploit. please, don't try to pull counters to weaknesses your character has absolutely no way of countering. your average Navy Seal is not an Otaku and likely knows little about faeries. if some guy dedicated enough time to fantasy to earn the title of Otaku while also being qualified to be a Navy Seal. it is a huge contradiction, because being a Navy Seal requires tons of difficult physical conditioning that leave nearly no time for a hobby. i mean, your character can be a rank and file soldier and have fantasy as a hobby, but a rank and file soldier isn't the same thing as a Navy Seal. either way, stations of privilege usually come with obligations attached and obligations are the number one killer of hobbies.

i like it when people actually pay attention to who the character is. but it bothers me when they use it to pull out a certain metagame reason, lets say i am in a storyline or competitive fight in a particular setting as a Nymph. people read medieval mythology and know a nymph is a type of faerie and know a faerie is highly vulnerable to cold iron weaponry as well as salt. so their modern human soldier with absolutely no way to gain accurate knowledge of faeries, literally starts firing cold iron hollow point bullets filled with salt. because out of character, they read up on nymphs and know a nymph's weaknesses, even if they have no in character way to justify the knowledge and absolutely no reasonable way to gain said cold iron bullets. cold iron is iron that has been shaped using medieval methods with neither the help of a forge nor the taint of coal. literally described as the purest of iron. that stuff cannot be factory made, i don't get how your navy seal even managed to actually commission somebody to make enough cold iron bullets for their MP5. a single cold iron ring made by hand and shaped using the required process sells for upwards of 300,000 USD.  if we use 300,000 USD as the price for a single cold iron bullet. where did your navy seal get the money for even one of these bullets? let alone a whole magazine or few loaded with them? would the United States government literally waste that much money so one soldier can slaughter a single nymph?

so while Reading character sheets can be positive in a storyline due to it showing engagement. it can be the work of some filfthy munchkin searching for a weakness in your character to exploit. please, don't try to pull counters to weaknesses your character has absolutely no way of countering. your average Navy Seal is not an Otaku and likely knows little about faeries. if some guy dedicated enough time to fantasy to earn the title of Otaku while also being qualified to be a Navy Seal. it is a huge contradiction, because being a Navy Seal requires tons of difficult physical conditioning that leave nearly no time for a hobby. i mean, your character can be a rank and file soldier and have fantasy as a hobby, but a rank and file soldier isn't the same thing as a Navy Seal. either way, stations of privilege usually come with obligations attached and obligations are the number one killer of hobbies.

Uhm, okay :)

True enough I mean I tell people all the time the Character Sheet is for YOU as the player. Either as an example of what kind of people can be in this world or to build a contradictory character off for reasons of drama/the plot. 

But this isn't like my characters face book page. your character can't just magically know the stuff on their profile * well beyond obvious stuff like appearance or whatnot *

But at the same time I'm not going to have NO CS and then have you make up random stuff for your character that gives you advantages later in the story.

So it's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

At least with a character sheet / and light metagaming - you can know the person read the sheet and ask them to change it. Even explain why. Because you'd be surprised how many people genuinely think that the CS is something that their character should know. 

True enough I mean I tell people all the time the Character Sheet is for YOU as the player. Either as an example of what kind of people can be in this world or to build a contradictory character off for reasons of drama/the plot. 

But this isn't like my characters face book page. your character can't just magically know the stuff on their profile * well beyond obvious stuff like appearance or whatnot *

But at the same time I'm not going to have NO CS and then have you make up random stuff for your character that gives you advantages later in the story.

So it's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

At least with a character sheet / and light metagaming - you can know the person read the sheet and ask them to change it. Even explain why. Because you'd be surprised how many people genuinely think that the CS is something that their character should know. 

Trust me. pulling out a Weakness that isn't easily accessible public domain knowledge is a horribly bad case of Metagaming. 

Definition of an Otaku

a Reclusive individual who obsessively studies a particular subject, often to the exclusion of their own ability to survive independently. most Otaku aren't physically fit enough to fight, are dependent on the income of others, don't eat a healthy diet, aren't mentally fit for combat, live sedentary lifestyles, and spend more time obsessively studying a subject that has no or extremely limited practical use. most of the time, they are either grossly over the recommend weight or grossly under the recommended weight.

Trust me. pulling out a Weakness that isn't easily accessible public domain knowledge is a horribly bad case of Metagaming. 

Definition of an Otaku

a Reclusive individual who obsessively studies a particular subject, often to the exclusion of their own ability to survive independently. most Otaku aren't physically fit enough to fight, are dependent on the income of others, don't eat a healthy diet, aren't mentally fit for combat, live sedentary lifestyles, and spend more time obsessively studying a subject that has no or extremely limited practical use. most of the time, they are either grossly over the recommend weight or grossly under the recommended weight.

Sounds like an anime trope. And actually I was agreeing with you. I was just saying that there are worse problems to have than metagaming as it has a fairly easy fix.

Sounds like an anime trope. And actually I was agreeing with you. I was just saying that there are worse problems to have than metagaming as it has a fairly easy fix.

thankies. there are also plenty of Otaku in the real world as well. it is technically considered an insult over in Japan, because of that particular definition, they are generally unemployed geeks who live off of their parents and spend all their time obsessively devoted to their hobby. which is usually the subject they obsessively study. if an Otaku's particular obsession ever became useful in a given universe. it is most likely a rare corner case at best, outside of very specific anime where the Otaku saves the world by studying something everybody else considered useless until that point.

I'd like to formally apologize.... 

(*´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥﹏°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ )

I feel your pain but again many have their own views,just let them learn their own path. All this in this thread is borderline spiritual suicide unfit for any hope to reaching Karmic  Consciousness ............

That being said not the proper path that seven universal truths have stated. Again I say this mainly out of concern for not knowing the full details of what it means to be complete. That's my part. have a nice time trying to find the paths of universal truths.

I feel your pain but again many have their own views,just let them learn their own path. All this in this thread is borderline spiritual suicide unfit for any hope to reaching Karmic  Consciousness ............

That being said not the proper path that seven universal truths have stated. Again I say this mainly out of concern for not knowing the full details of what it means to be complete. That's my part. have a nice time trying to find the paths of universal truths.

Um what? I'm not quite sure what you mean could you rephrase?

I'd like to formally apologize.... 

(*´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥﹏°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ )

Lol this is just a thread of personal pet peeves. There is no one correct way to roleplay so if you do a thing that irritates another person I wouldn't worry about it. most of these are like - when you see someone chewing with their mouth open. That can disgust some people to the point they would not talk to you, others it just gets a bit on their nerves, and some won't care at all.

Um what? I'm not quite sure what you mean could you rephrase?

Sure the fact that some of your views of battle are flawed,also not knowing supply chain. Things like that is stunted anyone from reaching the seventh sense a Buddhism teaching. Also casting judgement saying some are unfit for combat. No all are capable some more than others. Don't cast judgement on people who you think can't understand the flow of battle. As battles are not meant to be fair,it's origins are malicious/evil. That's why it's spiritual suicide for someone say you can deem someone unfit for combat. Among other things,but tis is fine. 

Sure the fact that some of your views of battle are flawed,also not knowing supply chain. Things like that is stunted anyone from reaching the seventh sense a Buddhism teaching. Also casting judgement saying some are unfit for combat. No all are capable some more than others. Don't cast judgement on people who you think can't understand the flow of battle. As battles are not meant to be fair,it's origins are malicious/evil. That's why it's spiritual suicide for someone say you can deem someone unfit for combat. Among other things,but tis is fine. 

This is a thread where people list things that irritate them in regards to roleplay. This can be character, plot, story, player, etc related.

So this is geared towards roleplay specifically not combat. People can find specific types of characters or players irritating and this has nothing to do the concept of battle as a spiritual or real world element. 

It is about different peoples personalities not gelling or different characters ruining a storyline.

no one is attacking specific people or discussing aspects of fighting philosophy.

You don't know how a unit works do you? It's called S4 as all units at any level are signed for a property. I managed 45 million dollars worth of property. Also we sign for new property all the  time increasing our amount. Also you fail to realize MI,they would know this as pass this most likely top secret clearance to the choose soldier. So again you know limited knowledge of how this can happen S4 is the backbone of a unit. Also that's also false I have friend who are in mnay branches & MOS's,they still have their hobbies no matter what. Soldiers are the same really,just some are more capable,there only difference is clearance & training. Your still the same as everyone else just a bigger role in the Battalion. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a thread where people list things that irritate them in regards to roleplay. This can be character, plot, story, player, etc related.

So this is geared towards roleplay specifically not combat. People can find specific types of characters or players irritating and this has nothing to do the concept of battle as a spiritual or real world element. 

It is about different peoples personalities not gelling or different characters ruining a storyline.

no one is attacking specific people or discussing aspects of fighting philosophy.

Really Otaku's unfit for combat? That's being judgmental as many soldiers in the military watch anime,so your calling them unfit as they defend this country. We all have duties but have fun. So misconceptions is here,bt i'm going stop now and get back to simple Mantra the universal Ohmm.

10 minutes ago, Ruler of Inferno said:

Really Otaku's unfit for combat? That's being judgmental as many soldiers in the military watch anime,so your calling them unfit as they defend this country. We all have duties but have fun. So misconceptions is here,bt i'm going stop now and get back to simple Mantra the universal Ohmm.

You need a cookie.

First I never said that. Secondly that is a personal opinion of one person. You can agree or disagree but assuming the thread as a whole is based around this one aspect is incorrect and unfair to others sharing their opinions.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

However, we are not saying people who watch anime are unable to be soldiers. People who obsess over something to the point where it hinders their own survival, due to being both reclusive and not caring about their own health (the actual definition of Otaku, despite the association with anime obsession) would struggle to be soldiers. There's a difference between enjoying something and obsessing over something so much it becomes a mental disorder, and that's the difference between the two.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

However, we are not saying people who watch anime are unable to be soldiers. People who obsess over something to the point where it hinders their own survival, due to being both reclusive and not caring about their own health (the actual definition of Otaku, despite the association with anime obsession) would struggle to be soldiers. There's a difference between enjoying something and obsessing over something so much it becomes a mental disorder, and that's the difference between the two.

Again that's not the case with good soldiering process as PT is something done all the time. Not true as I served I know this to be true many if haven't served can't speak on this matter. I know alot soldiers now that do as you say and guess what they'll in either senior leadership positions or now at Brigade level. So that's another misconception that they would struggle.  So that's a desecrating soldiers,they would just be pushed further is all. Again if you haven't served you have no merit to speak about the soldiering process.

First I never said that. Secondly that is a personal opinion of one person. You can agree or disagree but assuming the thread as a whole is based around this one aspect is incorrect and unfair to others sharing their opinions.

Again it's something I can speak on having served. So if you never actually went in country then you have no merit,this is simple truth. I did't assume that,as simply that one point struck a fine nerve to my warrior pride.

Again that's not the case with good soldiering process as PT is something done all the time. Not true as I served I know this to be true many if haven't served can't speak on this matter. I know alot soldiers now that do as you say and guess what they'll in either senior leadership positions or now at Brigade level. So that's another misconception that they would struggle.  So that's a desecrating soldiers,they would just be pushed further is all. Again if you haven't served you have no merit to speak about the soldiering process.

I have served, so I do know what I'm talking about.

An Otaku is obsessed with anything, not just anime/manga, to the point the lack proper social abilities and will neglect their own health. Soldiers are supposed to be fit, both physically and mentally. An Otaku, who thinks of nothing but their obsession, lacks basic social skills, and will neglect basic bodily functions, like hunger, lacks in both capacities and therefore cannot be a soldier. Let me say it again: Otaku's have moved beyond the stage of hobby and now have an obsession the could be potentially classified as a mental illness. It is not the same as someone who watches anime.

So that's a desecrating soldiers,they would just be pushed further is all. Again if you haven't served you have no merit to speak about the soldiering process.

Lets try to keep things positive. People are entitled to their opinions. And no one is trying to tear down people who serve. Again this is roleplaying : storytelling about fictious characters in fictional worlds.

As to your second point at no point did I say anything one way or another on soldiers or people who serve.

Another user expressed their opinion on meta gaming which is people using information on the character sheet for in character advantage.

They used an example using the term Otaku. You can agree or disagree but again we are talking roleplaying not soldiers or those who do or do not serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have served, so I do know what I'm talking about.

An Otaku is obsessed with anything, not just anime/manga, to the point the lack proper social abilities and will neglect their own health. Soldiers are supposed to be fit, both physically and mentally. An Otaku, who thinks of nothing but their obsession, lacks basic social skills, and will neglect basic bodily functions, like hunger, lacks in both capacities and therefore cannot be a soldier. Let me say it again: Otaku's have moved beyond the stage of hobby and now have an obsession the could be potentially classified as a mental illness. It is not the same as someone who watches anime.

Again didn't know you served. That's fair point but being one who has has obsessions with swordsmanship & in general warfare as whole is not weakness.  Also for that mental illness  is a now a blade waiting to be reforged is all,meaning it's flawed now but again becomes sharper than before. You would have the merit to speak on this matter,as obsessions are vice territory. But right obsessions are  not  such as swordsmanship. Meaning we both are 50/50 on this one. It depends on the obsession is all,social skills it's hit/miss really. Respect the rank is the needed. I was soldier but always have been a swordsman so yeah my obsession to have a blade employing all of five elements in the Qilong. Made me sharper as warrior. That is why it all depends. Sorry for assuming you didn't serve. As a fellow Vet to Vet that's my bad man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back