Roleplay Pet Peeves

You wanna hear an even smaller horror story?

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

Please welcome 

Hide contents

President Trump.

(LOL do not discuss that here ^^)

I've heard things like that and possibly have been involved on that side. What's especially messed up is if the partner asks for things like they have a ' 'interesting relationship' which is really just a twisted slavery thing...that's my horror story. *mini-shudders*

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. That's going to be the longest horror story for all time to come. #FirstOrange

"Interesting Relationship" Oh hellllllllllll no. That sounds creepy and downright awful.

I don't particularly like when I put up a request thread, get a PM from someone thinking they've found something interesting only for them not acknowledge anything on my request thread but they instead pitch their own idea. I'm all for ideas don't get me wrong, it's just how about mention something about my request thread. 

Another thing is when people don't read request threads at all.

honestly i have too many...

buuuuut, in my opinion the most obnoxious would be one i don't see much here, that was my absolute bane on a different site. people randomly auto-killing my character when i wasn't even involved in a fight, without a warning. for a while it was a thing to play an assassin and go around hopping from rp to rp randomly killing off characters. normally the gm would get rid of the problem, but there were actually a few who considered that a 'fair kill'. oh man did i scream at everyone involved... i freely admit i was very immature and overreacted, but that was the absolute worst.

another would be the characters who literally only exist for romance. they don't do anything other than pair off and follow their love interest around. they often bogged down our heroic quests with tons of mushy, purple-prose laden posts while the space dragons and demons happily obliterated whatever place we were supposed to be saving.

wow, this brings me back... i almost miss those days, hah.

1. 1x1s in group roleplays. Yeah, I get that your characters have this romance thing going on that is mostly unrelated to the actual story, but can you please involve others or at least let them post without sending the other writers through two to five pages of your non-stop mushy drama? It's infuriating when an interesting rp derails into something as boring as a simple romance story between two characters who decided to no longer contribute to the actual plot and instead sniff each others asses for thirty posts. 
  2. Unrealistic romances. While I'm ranting about romances I'm going to give an honorable mention to the much hated and unbelievably perfect couples, or lies as I call them. I like a good romance story, and I like writing them too sometimes. However, there isn't much of a story if everything is perfect. There's no conflict, no disagreements, no mood swings, no unique or unwanted traits to these characters that the other finds annoying, intimidating, weird, or exhausting in the slightest. They are entirely and ultimately inseparable, repeating the same routine, and never showing boredom or disinterest in anything involving the other partner. The characters were basically designed for each other perfectly, like robots. There's no spunk, nothing unique to it at all. Nothing about that is realistic, and isn't desirable in my taste. What makes it worse is when they are shoved into a group rp where everyone is forced to read about their characters boring romance, and if anyone tries to intervene or actually get the characters into the plot one of them gets whiny or the characters ignore them entirely. (Continuation of 1.)
  3. You've read it once, and you'll read it a thousand times. People who make their characters top notch, god level, violent tempered, super-nova, cosmic forces wielding badasses who have to fight everyone, or even govern everyone. No one can have a character stronger than them, and if one is made, they update theirs or make a new one that's even stronger! They are extremely controlling of their environment, including other characters behaviour, or battles, and are ultimately "too awesome" to be included with everyone else. Unless, of course, your character is a bodacious animu babe that either hates them or swoons over every fiber of their being. They are typically very arrogant, overly confident, metagamers, godmodders, and (guess what) 10/10 appearance all around! (The crowd goes wild!) The writers usually have a similar personality to the characters, or can't separate themselves from the fabricated (possibly stolen) characters OoC. I've seen so many of these characters in my time that the hint of one makes me sick. I slap an avoid logo over their usernames in my head and never roleplay with the writer again.
  4. Metagaming.....I shouldn't have to elaborate on this. 
  5. Hopping! Going from character, to character, to character, without giving anyone time to respond. I get that you're eager to rp, but you need to hop off the energizer bunny and chill. Not everyone has as much time as you, or has the same WPM as you. I can understand hopping if it is a situation similar to the entire rp being on hold for that character's response, or you've given a real reasonable amount of time to respond with nothing turning up. Which even then you should leave them properly, not pretend it never happened because then it gets confusing. 
  6. Regions. I love seeing characters or settings from real places, but can't you be a little reasonable and actually make them at least slightly true to the region they are from? If it is based in Russia, why does everyone have american accents, or have japanese names? Is there a fucking reason for this other than your anime aesthetic? Do you know what their names mean? Are you using them correctly? Did you do anything to research and put some depth into your characters culture or did you just pull something from an anime and go with it? I love anime, but come on. This is just a small peeve of mine. Not so infuriating as it is just agitating.
  7. taking characters from anime, tv shows, games, or movies and placing them in a non-fandom roleplay as your own. NOPE. Get out.

Please note, this is all personal opinion. 

Sorry for any spelling errors. It's five in the morning and my fingers are cold stiff. 

You've read it once, and you'll read it a thousand times. People who make their characters top notch, god level, violent tempered, super-nova, cosmic forces wielding badasses who have to fight everyone, or even govern everyone. No one can have a character stronger than them, and if one is made, they update theirs or make a new one that's even stronger! They are extremely controlling of their environment, including other characters behaviour, or battles, and are ultimately "too awesome" to be included with everyone else. Unless, of course, your character is a bodacious animu babe that either hates them or swoons over every fiber of their being. They are typically very arrogant, overly confident, metagamers, godmodders, and (guess what) 10/10 appearance all around! (The crowd goes wild!) The writers usually have a similar personality to the characters, or can't separate themselves from the fabricated (possibly stolen) characters OoC. I've seen so many of these characters in my time that the hint of one makes me sick. I slap an avoid logo over their usernames in my head and never roleplay with the writer again.

Yup. I've experienced this as well and they don't or rather won't handle rejection of their character. So being fed up of the absurdity of the situation, I treated it as a joke. Your character is 10'1? I can only imagine where that extra inch is. UGH at when people "update" their character to make them better than yours. It is not a competition! So what if my character can bench press 25lbs and no more, but oh yeah, your character who is 85lbs +1000000 years old + looks to be 17 can bench press more than 10,000 lbs. *rolls eyes* At that point I might else well not talk about character quirks because your character's quirks are obviously made up on the spot more superior than mine.

Yup. I've experienced this as well and they don't or rather won't handle rejection of their character. So being fed up of the absurdity of the situation, I treated it as a joke. Your character is 10'1? I can only imagine where that extra inch is. UGH at when people "update" their character to make them better than yours. It is not a competition! So what if my character can bench press 25lbs and no more, but oh yeah, your character who is 85lbs +1000000 years old + looks to be 17 can bench press more than 10,000 lbs. *rolls eyes* At that point I might else well not talk about character quirks because your character's quirks are obviously made up on the spot more superior than mine.

Exactly.

Even if it is just a character rejecting a relationship with them, they still try to pursue them or even control the other writer's character to make them fall for them or get intimate with them. Some bs like suddenly forming attraction powers or allures, and your character is helplessly drawn to their 17 year old body, tasteless personality, and underdeveloped brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly.

Even if it is just a character rejecting a relationship with them, they still try to pursue them or even control the other writer's character to make them fall for them or get intimate with them. Some bs like suddenly forming attraction powers or allures, and your character is helplessly drawn to their 17 year old body, tasteless personality, and underdeveloped brain.

Umbrie physically ages one year for every century that passes due to her being a nymph. so 1,760 is essentially 17 and a half years for her. she is also 5'1" and like 95 lbs due to her physically underdeveloped figure preventing the addition of excess poundage in such areas as the breast. but she isn't human. she can theoretically carry an 100 pound sack of potatoes home from the grocery store on foot with a next to minimal stagger due to her fey cellular reconstruction enhancing the endurance of her lean muscles by constantly repairing the strain induced damage. not that she actually is strong, her muscles simply repair any exertion caused damages over time.

Umbrie physically ages one year for every century that passes due to her being a nymph. so 1,760 is essentially 17 and a half years for her. she is also 5'1" and like 95 lbs due to her physically underdeveloped figure preventing the addition of excess poundage in such areas as the breast. but she isn't human. she can theoretically carry an 100 pound sack of potatoes home from the grocery store on foot with a next to minimal stagger due to her fey cellular reconstruction enhancing the endurance of her lean muscles by constantly repairing the strain induced damage. not that she actually is strong, her muscles simply repair any exertion caused damages over time.

At this point I can't help but get the feeling that you're trying to advertise your character.

At this point I can't help but get the feeling that you're trying to advertise your character.

i can't help it. i'm proud of my pride and joy. not that it was intentional. but i was pointing out an ancient character that wasn't as ridiculous as the one advertised. you can have thousand year or older characters without them being ridiculous. i tried very hard to make Umbrie actually sensible to a point.

*Points to Umbrie's character name*

*Points to @Umbrie's username*

Youre weeeelcome! ^~^

the reason i went with Umbrie as my username, is because as a character, she is my pride and joy. i literally invested decades into developing her.

I fail to see what this has to do with what I you quoted from me.

I never said every extremely old character with a young body are the ones that annoy me. That is simply a character trait a lot of them have in common. 

There was little point in responding with that anyways since I'm not the one who mentioned the extreme ages, I simply complied to what @Storytale said because it is a common thing found among the type of characters I mentioned. 

I fail to see what this has to do with what I you quoted from me.

I never said every extremely old character with a young body are the ones that annoy me. That is simply a character trait a lot of them have in common. 

There was little point in responding with that anyways since I'm not the one who mentioned the extreme ages, I simply complied to what @Storytale said because it is a common thing found among the type of characters I mentioned. 

sorriesies. i quoted the wrong person. i forgot this site does quotes a little differently than what i am accustomed to.

1. You've read it once, and you'll read it a thousand times. People who make their characters top notch, god level, violent tempered, super-nova, cosmic forces wielding badasses who have to fight everyone, or even govern everyone. No one can have a character stronger than them, and if one is made, they update theirs or make a new one that's even stronger! They are extremely controlling of their environment, including other characters behaviour, or battles, and are ultimately "too awesome" to be included with everyone else. Unless, of course, your character is a bodacious animu babe that either hates them or swoons over every fiber of their being. They are typically very arrogant, overly confident, metagamers, godmodders, and (guess what) 10/10 appearance all around! (The crowd goes wild!) The writers usually have a similar personality to the characters, or can't separate themselves from the fabricated (possibly stolen) characters OoC. I've seen so many of these characters in my time that the hint of one makes me sick. I slap an avoid logo over their usernames in my head and never roleplay with the writer again

these characters really make no sense to me. they are usually hybrids of waay too many different species with absolutely no dilution of the strengths, but seem to whine when you bring up the weaknesses of each individual species. for example, their half-demonic half-angelic vampiric werewolf should literally have a mountain of weaknesses due to combining 2 sets of completely contradictory species. demons and angels are both weak to cold iron weaponry and are both physically harmed by salt, demons and vampires are both repelled by crosses and repelled by holy water. vampires can't walk outdoors in the sunlight without fully covering their skin to the point their vision would be obscured and they couldn't interact with anything, making them blind and worried about their robes getting caught, which is far more likely to happen when blind, vampires also die when immersed in running water, meaning they avoid beaches and the like and rarely travel on boats, werewolves are weak to silver and have enhanced senses that are easy to over whelm.

so if somebody really wanted to play this odd hybrid, here are the weaknesses pulled from mythology i would apply to them.

Holy Water is Acidic to them

Cold Iron and/or Silver weaponry both inflict Aggravated Lethal Wounds to them

they cannot swim through running water without risk of dying

they cannot walk in the sun without covering every inch of their body in at least 3 inches of cloth. leaving them blind and vulnerable if their robes get damaged

they have such overpowering senses that their senses are easy to overwhelm. making a wound from a silver or cold iron weapon extremely painful or debilitating

a need for a Pint of Blood every 12 hours before the body shuts down from starvation

wolf form is berserk, easy to predict, easy to counter, and limited to the benefits of a wolf from earth

you wanna play a mishmash of powerful supernatural species as a friggin power grab? you better expect to deal with the weaknesses of each species involved in the mixture. and because you have the full benefit of that species, you also get the full drawbacks

you wanna play a mishmash of powerful supernatural species as a friggin power grab? you better expect to deal with the weaknesses of each species involved in the mixture. and because you have the full benefit of that species, you also get the full drawbacks

LOL. Very true indeed. 

i can't help it. i'm proud of my pride and joy. not that it was intentional. but i was pointing out an ancient character that wasn't as ridiculous as the one advertised. you can have thousand year or older characters without them being ridiculous. i tried very hard to make Umbrie actually sensible to a point.

This thread is not dedicated to showcasing characters it is dedicated to talking about things we DONT like about roleplaying. As such I am going to have to ask you not to mention your character again in this thread unless you are asked a specific question about her. 

If you wish to showcase your character your free to make a thread dedicated to her in the Character Feedback forum.

One of my pet peeves, I will admit I've only had to deal with a few times, and the people did make an effort to fix it, but here it is anyways.... 

Changing.

The.

Tense.

And/Or.

Perspective.

Of. 

The.

Dang.

Post.

My own Sister is the most guilty of this... We had a bunch of One-on-ones back in the day, and it never failed, she would always switch from past tense to present tense. It ends up like:

Me: He walked to the stadium to find she was already there.

Her: She sees him coming, and stops what she's doing

WHEN DID WE SWITCH TENSES!?

The other one I've had only once, but it drove me up the wall... Pretty much everyone on this cite knows to write in third person limited to your character/s, but every now and then....

Me: He smiled at the sweet bird.

Them: I looked at him sadly.

Do you see my problem? 

It throws me off like you wouldn't believe!

Another pet peeve of mine is when people completely disregard your fears and concerns. This has happened to me multiple times, and I HATE it! For example... I'm afraid of puppets... I don't like puppet analogies, they scare me, and make me want to rock in the corner and cry.... I tell people this, especially in any RP where possession is involved, or has been involved... Still people continue with the puppet analogies! And when I ask them to stop, because it makes me uncomfortable, they give me something like this:

"Sorry, couldn't come up with a better description."

That is rude, and flat out mean. If someone has told you something makes them uncomfortable, you should respect that. This should be a safe place! I had a RP with someone who didn't like the F bomb. I had it in one of my posts, and she asked me if I would stop, so I did. It's that simple, guys....

here is a peeve i really have  with competitive combat roleplayers i found on Aniroleplay. that i figure explains a lot of bad things. 2 different peeves.

1. the character who piles random abilities, skills, attributes and powers onto their character with the intent to mop the floor with the most elite of enemy combatants like they were wearing a red shirt. usually a half demonic half angelic vampiric werewolf with all the powers of all 4 and none of the weaknesses while also having all the strengths of an elf and none of the weaknesses.

2. the roleplayer who expects your character to fall in love with thiers, just because you were defeated by them in combat and they beat you to an inch of your life. generally devolves into erotic roleplay at some point

3. the Genetically Engineered Supersoldier in a setting that is intended to not have science fiction elements. Generally an extreme version of the Special Forces badass. comes in Cyborg Supersoldier Variants too

4. the Mismatched Horror Movie Abominaion. so your mother was a Demonic Werewolf Elf and your Father was an Angelic Human Vampire? why the hell did you even sign up for this game? there is absolutely nothing that can scare you. the point of horror is to portray your characters in a position of fear induced powerlessness, not have you slice cthulu to ribbons with your twin swords, left unholy and right holy.

here is a peeve i really have  with competitive combat roleplayers i found on Aniroleplay. that i figure explains a lot of bad things. 2 different peeves.

1. the character who piles random abilities, skills, attributes and powers onto their character with the intent to mop the floor with the most elite of enemy combatants like they were wearing a red shirt. usually a half demonic half angelic vampiric werewolf with all the powers of all 4 and none of the weaknesses while also having all the strengths of an elf and none of the weaknesses.

2. the roleplayer who expects your character to fall in love with thiers, just because you were defeated by them in combat and they beat you to an inch of your life. generally devolves into erotic roleplay at some point

3. the Genetically Engineered Supersoldier in a setting that is intended to not have science fiction elements. Generally an extreme version of the Special Forces badass. comes in Cyborg Supersoldier Variants too

4. the Mismatched Horror Movie Abominaion. so your mother was a Demonic Werewolf Elf and your Father was an Angelic Human Vampire? why the hell did you even sign up for this game? there is absolutely nothing that can scare you. the point of horror is to portray your characters in a position of fear induced powerlessness, not have you slice cthulu to ribbons with your twin swords, left unholy and right holy.

I could never understand how those hybrids even worked without some kind of outside force taking part in it. Because most hybrids as in - vampire x werewolf cross - would be sterile. So they wouldn't be able to produce offspring of their own. Plus you can't be half three things - that is not how math works. 

But I don't really do a lot of combat roleplays so for all I know there's an in universe explanation for that. 

For me just people that kind of passive-aggressively write into their posts what they want my character to feel for their character.

Like Character A was being a bitch but it was understandable because she was afraid and in a new place. 

It's like blatant fishing for sympathy and it pisses me off.

I could never understand how those hybrids even worked without some kind of outside force taking part in it. Because most hybrids as in - vampire x werewolf cross - would be sterile. So they wouldn't be able to produce offspring of their own. Plus you can't be half three things - that is not how math works. 

But I don't really do a lot of combat roleplays so for all I know there's an in universe explanation for that. 

the Crazy Sacks of Horse Bile People will fill to optimize their characters for combat. like making extreme hybrids of 6 or more contradictory species. now, an Elven Werewolf or a Human/Elf Hybrid is sensible. heck. you could be a Human/Elf Halfbreed whom was blessed by Gaia with a Hereditary Divine form of Lycanthropy that allows Transformation into an appropriate Totem Animal for your Elven Cultural Background. which doesn't have to be a Wolf.

now, you can also do a goodie two shoes vampire that was once born human prior to awakening. but i wouldn't count them as an angelic entity. they might be friends with angels and have a few angelic blessingsas a result of said friendship. but they have to continue to be good and heroic to keep those blessings.

your character can even be an Archangel whose default form resembles a 6 foot tall penguin with 6 black feathery raven wings protruding from his back. it doesn't mean you are also a penguin, just that you are an angel whose default form resembles one.

there are all sorts of creative things you can do, your character need not actually be some abomination of species. capture the feel of what you want and use descriptors. i find it so much more pleasing than piling on species for the powers. not that the powers themselves alone are the problem, merely the excess of them or the application of species piling to gain them,

My pet peeves:

+People who make the RP all about their female. We can be doubling, and yet somehow, even when I throw in my female doing something, it always wraps back around to your male. I was roleplaying with someone on here, actually. They were very detailed, well written, and at first I loved the RP. After a while, I noticed this phenomenon, and grew to hate it. So I stopped replying (which yes, I know is a huge pet peeve to others). Definitely wouldn't do it again.

+Laziness. I write a lot usually, and hate it when I get little to nothing back.

+This: When I write out an intro, and someone responds to it WITHOUT interacting with my person. Like wtf do I do with that. Come on now.

And more, I'm sure...

@Umbrie

I didn't quite understand all that but I'm going to assume you said something about how it's possible to have in universe reasons for being Half vampire, werewolf, dragon, etc. 

Which fair enough. I did say I don't do those kind of roleplays ( no real desire to ) I was just saying from an outside perspective the biology never-lined up for me. Especially when it's transparently obvious that it was only done for a power-grab.

I have a peeve whenever people can't write well whenever they write a RP, and I also dislike whenever people think that their character is the most powerful, skilled, and only savior and is never there whenever something bad happens. That way, they can say, "Oh, I wasn't there. I was on vacation. Even though I never posted an RP about it, I just know that you guys understand."

@Umbrie

I didn't quite understand all that but I'm going to assume you said something about how it's possible to have in universe reasons for being Half vampire, werewolf, dragon, etc. 

Which fair enough. I did say I don't do those kind of roleplays ( no real desire to ) I was just saying from an outside perspective the biology never-lined up for me. Especially when it's transparently obvious that it was only done for a power-grab.

i wasn't saying it was possible to have such the optimized power grab hybrid, but i was explaining,how you can boil down the core traits you want for your character from those particular species without actually tacking on a new species to justify it. though i only allow 2 biological halves when it comes to species. i make room for one transformative or acquired template to represent biological modifications made later in life, and i listed a few examples. i wouldn't allow a half angelic human vampire,  but i would allow a vampire who was originally born human and still has a pure heart, good intentions and an honest, upbeat, and heroic attitude despite being cursed with vampirism.

People who use out of character information that I didn't tell them about. Example, if they look at my character sheet and put that information in the roleplay. This is why I like character sheets on one hand and loathe them on another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back