Roleplay Pet Peeves

Something that used to make me want to murder people through my computer screen. On my old site people were super elitist. Like omg Gaia had such raging dick bags it was kind of surreal.

So they had these like ridiculous application processes that I won't get into but basically involved you pitching your character to the roleplay. 

So I find this cool Harry Potter roleplay and do exactly that. Only to have the GM come back and say - Not accepted because your Face Claim isn't pretty enough.

Like .... are you for real right now? 

Since when did being a wizard came with a beauty test?

And it wasn't even like my girl was buck tooth ugly she was just a little scrawny with a rat's nest for hair. I wanted her to be kind of the Luna of the group.

And it's like... nope only pretty people allowed in this roleplay...kthnx bye.

Like ... I don't even think at the time I was that angry just kind of shocked speechless. 

Then it kind of cycled through my head this was actually happening and I got pissed off.

Like the stupidest reason I have ever heard for not accepting a character. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I mean, if she was saying that just a few people were playing LGBT characters. But her peeve was that everyone in an rp was playing a cis, heterosexual character. 

I fail to see the difference. I mean, you should still respect the kind of character that people choose to play,  regardless if everyone else is playing the same kind of character or not.  

I fail to see the difference. I mean, you should still respect the kind of character that people choose to play,  regardless if everyone else is playing the same kind of character or not.  

Again, she was venting. A pet peeve isn't an opinion -  you can't really control what gets on your nerves, y'know?

Let's not derail and let people vent in peace.

Whenever someone suddenly transitions from a third person perspective to a first person perspective. Sometimes it's mid-post and sometimes they go back to third person like nothing ever happened. Maybe it's my unnatural dislike for first person, but seeing that just rubs me the wrong way.

Whenever someone suddenly transitions from a third person perspective to a first person perspective. Sometimes it's mid-post and sometimes they go back to third person like nothing ever happened. Maybe it's my unnatural dislike for first person, but seeing that just rubs me the wrong way.

When people switch tenses. Like : She are willing particpates in tv show. 

The fuck? When is this happening. I'm so confused. 

Powers, elements, what have you. I remember once I had a request thread with an original plot based on people having the ability to use one of the four basic elements: Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water. I did not want anything out of the way as far as with abilities and each person able to use suffered from a weakness using said element. So this guy says he's interested, that he understands everything outlined in plot including with the elements. He makes a character who is half angel, half demon able to use not one but all of the elements, can time travel and his only 'weakness' was he lost the love of his life therefore it made him beserk but being in beserk mode inevitably brought on more strength. I was like...sorry. He got mad, said he wouldn't change his character good fine whatever no writing with him.

The peeve of this story is I dislike stating that there are only a certain amount of abilities only for someone to disregard it to do whatever they want. I'm all for character creation but when your character can do all of that and mine can't...what the heck.

This just came up in another thread.

I can't stand when people rush character interaction. I understand most people only RP to have fun and enjoy the experience of character interaction. For me any capacity of writing is fun, the more serious, the better. I also adore character interaction. But RPs are pretty long....

Lets say an RP has 8 characters and it's set in New York City. We get ready, and the IC begins. I post my character all the way in Tokyo, doing some research and about to discover the basis of the plot. The next character posts in, and they are in Tokyo, in the same library, sitting one table over from me, and while getting up, they drop their books, taking notice of me immediately. Another character posts in after, and what do you know... They just couldn't resist the urge to cluster up and stand alone for even 2 posts. So guess what? They are in Tokyo, in the very same fucking library... But the fun doesn't stop there. Third person posts in.. on a fucking plane to Tokyo!!

It's like.... Introduce your character... Take some time, let it happen naturally.

I've appropriately coined this phenomena The Cluster Fuck of Destiny.

This just came up in another thread.

I can't stand when people rush character interaction. I understand most people only RP to have fun and enjoy the experience of character interaction. For me any capacity of writing is fun, the more serious, the better. I also adore character interaction. But RPs are pretty long....

Lets say an RP has 8 characters and it's set in New York City. We get ready, and the IC begins. I post my character all the way in Tokyo, doing some research and about to discover the basis of the plot. The next character posts in, and they are in Tokyo, in the same library, sitting one table over from me, and while getting up, they drop their books, taking notice of me immediately. Another character posts in after, and what do you know... They just couldn't resist the urge to cluster up and stand alone for even 2 posts. So guess what? They are in Tokyo, in the very same fucking library... But the fun doesn't stop there. Third person posts in.. on a fucking plane to Tokyo!!

It's like.... Introduce your character... Take some time, let it happen naturally.

I've appropriately coined this phenomena The Cluster Fuck of Destiny.

That shit sucks ass.

Powers, elements, what have you. I remember once I had a request thread with an original plot based on people having the ability to use one of the four basic elements: Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water. I did not want anything out of the way as far as with abilities and each person able to use suffered from a weakness using said element. So this guy says he's interested, that he understands everything outlined in plot including with the elements. He makes a character who is half angel, half demon able to use not one but all of the elements, can time travel and his only 'weakness' was he lost the love of his life therefore it made him beserk but being in beserk mode inevitably brought on more strength. I was like...sorry. He got mad, said he wouldn't change his character good fine whatever no writing with him.

The peeve of this story is I dislike stating that there are only a certain amount of abilities only for someone to disregard it to do whatever they want. I'm all for character creation but when your character can do all of that and mine can't...what the heck.

if everybody was a human with 1 Elemental affinity. i wouldn't have allowed this Angelic Abomination. i'd allow a second, third or fourth person with the same element first

a Pet Peeve i have to bring up. Hybrids that either aren't hybrids or wouldn't be feasible. a Demon/Angel Hybrid is Technically Still an Angel by Biology. Whether they are Aligned to Good or Evil and Which Powerset they gain is whether or not they choose to Align themselves as Loyal (Heaven) or Fallen (Hell)

a Pet Peeve i have to bring up. Hybrids that either aren't hybrids or wouldn't be feasible. a Demon/Angel Hybrid is Technically Still an Angel by Biology. Whether they are Aligned to Good or Evil and Which Powerset they gain is whether or not they choose to Align themselves as Loyal (Heaven) or Fallen (Hell)

If you go by the source material, "Demons" aren't even a thing. There is no "Hell", at least not in the sense that it's the opposite of heaven and Satan's domain where Demons rule and plot evil doing. "Demons" are just angels, like Satan. They were cast down from heaven to roam earth among us in a sort of grand test of humanities loyalty toward God in the face of seduction.

"Hell" is empty, and it's reserved as a place of damnation for Satan, his followers (angels), and all the souls who fail to accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior.

Everything people associate with Demonology and satanism is nothing more than crude fan fiction based entirely on Christian texts.

I generally don't allow anything demonic in nature in any RP, even those oriented around the Heaven/Hell dynamic. I'm just a fool for credibility in my work.

This is also a pet peeve of mine (anything demonic or satanic in nature).

EDIT: I'd also like to add that traditionally, demons aren't the all powerful, authoritative and malicious entities the common role player tends to depict them as. Omni-potent beings possessing an arsenal of abilities and magics, commanding legions of evil souls and entities at their disposal. This is a novice, childish imagination manifesting in the form of a near perfect evil being capable of marvelous, terrifying feats of power and control.

No. Classically, demons are nefarious, deceptive tricksters that, much like Satan in the biblical texts, cannot directly interfere, or harm you physically, or even possess you. They may only manipulate you, seduce you, and trick you into doing their bidding. Usually they mislead their targets to their misfortune or death.

Modern demons are satire; nothing but a crude perversion of a technically superior and more rewarding concept.

If you go by the source material, "Demons" aren't even a thing. There is no "Hell", at least not in the sense that it's the opposite of heaven and Satan's domain where Demons rule and plot evil doing. "Demons" are just angels, like Satan. They were cast down from heaven to roam earth among us in a sort of grand test of humanities loyalty toward God in the face of seduction.

"Hell" is empty, and it's reserved as a place of damnation for Satan, his followers (angels), and all the souls who fail to accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior.

Everything people associate with Demonology and satanism is nothing more than crude fan fiction based entirely on Christian texts.

I generally don't allow anything demonic in nature in any RP, even those oriented around the Heaven/Hell dynamic. I'm just a fool for credibility in my work.

This is also a pet peeve of mine (anything demonic or satanic in nature).

sorriesies.

i Generally Might Roleplay as characters whom are labeled a fey, angel, demon or the like by the humans surrounding them, whom might also identify themselves by those labels. but i know they are a fan species that has a few traits in common at best, and is drastically toned down compared to the baseline species when it comes to both strengths and weaknesses. like a Diluted faerie that can still be called a faerie but has a lot less of the game breaking status effects a faerie is known for.

Pet peeves... Oooohhhhh do I have some.

1) When a character absolutely invalidates every other member of the cast.

Okay, I understand when you want to create a powerful character. I also understand when you want to create a diverse character. What I'm NOT going to understand is when your character is leagues above everyone else, can do everything anyone else tried and do it better, and all for the most outlandish of reasons. "Well, he's an elite warrior. He should be able to No-Sell anything that comes his way." Say that to the other three characters who have the same ranking, yet are closer to realism than you are.

2) The Clusterfuck of Destiny

See: @Loco Mofo and his post upon THAT pool of melarky

3) Time Travelers, especially those who can backtrack more than a day.

If you've ever been pissed off when DC retconned an event via time travel, you know why I hate stuff like this. Thankfully, few RPs allow stuff like this, but when I do see it I quickly turn around and flee.

People that roleplay in first person make me uncomfortable for reasons I can't even begin to explain. I always write in second (that's for stories of fics) or third person. I don't think I've written in first person since I was but a tiny nerd. I've evolved since then into a slightly taller tiny nerd :P  

Something that I want to get off my chest is that,

I hate going to new rps.

I felt like, in my brain, that If I join one, the other RP I'll forget/won't catch up.  Its pissing me off, its stressful, and its worrying. Since I only have 62 hours of free time per week, And that's 6 hours per day. And I can't reply cause I'm so rushy. And since I'm on mobile, the moving from tab to tab is stressful.

I think I might've fallen victim to a couple of these peeves, but uhh... Don't throw rocks at me?

What irks me most especially (that I can think of) is when people take too much action in one post. Basically, when one person's doing something and then later on in their post they're in an entirely different city or whatnot. Remember that saying "it's not the destination, it's the journey"? Yeah. While I don't entirely agree with that in real life, it's definitely critical to roleplays.

I just don't like it when people just want to get it over with without any real interaction.

I think I might've fallen victim to a couple of these peeves, but uhh... Don't throw rocks at me?

What irks me most especially (that I can think of) is when people take too much action in one post. Basically, when one person's doing something and then later on in their post they're in an entirely different city or whatnot. Remember that saying "it's not the destination, it's the journey"? Yeah. While I don't entirely agree with that in real life, it's definitely critical to roleplays.

I just don't like it when people just want to get it over with without any real interaction.

lol no one is perfect. and no one is saying that doing any of the things listed in this thread makes you a bad person or bad roleplayer. just that your likely going to have to reach some compromises with the people of this thread if not skip over them entirely in terms of partners.

as to your actual pet peeve i tend to find the opposite problem in roleplays. and in fairness it's usually about 90% my fault. i just stall out on posts or ideas of what to do moving forward then i get bored or flake out and forget which roleplay i'm supposed to be posting to.

i'm trying to get better at that but  :/  it's a work in progress.

I don't know if others have mentioned it but when some people make false assumptions of you based on your profile and decide whether they like you or not (most of the time, it would be not, for those that are bitterly picky) and ignore your existence.

It's very rude but hey, at least it sames me time from roleplaying with someone who'd be difficult to work with!

I don't know if others have mentioned it but when some people make false assumptions of you based on your profile and decide whether they like you or not (most of the time, it would be not, for those that are bitterly picky) and ignore your existence.

It's very rude but hey, at least it sames me time from roleplaying with someone who'd be difficult to work with!

This has happened before and i legit get pissed off. Its even worse when they are in a group interaction and their character straight up ignores what my character says.

Ages. 
I had just tried to join a group RP a few days ago and our characters were all supposed to be city leaders, you know, strong important people of high ranking and skill. Every single character sheet that was posted had their character age as 22 or younger.

I suppose this wouldn't be a problem if this also didn't come up in most 1x1's I find myself in. And why is it that the girl characters are always super young anyway? If I do see older characters most of them are guys.

What kind of assumptions are made? I'm curious :3

I had pictures of pingu (kek) and the person I was interested in roleplaying with had only pictures of super aesthetic things so I'm sure they must've assumed I was some ten year old boy who only wrote one-liners when I messaged them a pretty lengthy world-building so I didn't get that either. xD

Ages. 
I had just tried to join a group RP a few days ago and our characters were all supposed to be city leaders, you know, strong important people of high ranking and skill. Every single character sheet that was posted had their character age as 22 or younger.

I suppose this wouldn't be a problem if this also didn't come up in most 1x1's I find myself in. And why is it that the girl characters are always super young anyway? If I do see older characters most of them are guys.

I would say about 95% of this is just people who are young themselves. Like in the twenty or younger age bracket, and those of us who are older just kind of get used to it. Sort of like the same way you get people assuming that all romance is MF. It's so common that it just sort of gets assimilated in as the status quo. 

Well I can say, that I usually will only rp 15 (being the youngest character I'll make) to 28 (being the oldest) year olds for my main character. Its namely because I love to have romance occur, and as someone who is young, but still an adult, this is around the age that Im comfortable roleplaying. That being said, I wouldn't join a rp where its based on city leaders. For basically that reason. If I did join that rp, my character would not probably realistically be in that age bracket, so theres no reason for me to join that rp. Or if I did, my side character would be the person who is a city leader, and my main character would be someone who lived in the city (maybe the daughter of the leader or something). Older characters (or younger for that matter) are always going to be side characters for me.

Peeve: Now I know, by now, I should know the warning signs of what to avoid but sometimes I just can't help myself. I hope too much, you know? Anyway, I'm a huge fandom rp lover, that shit is my jam and my jelly and my pet peeve is when all internal logic of the fandom is thrown out the window and it's reduced to nothing but their character fawning over the big tough canon character I was talked into writing.

It's heart breaking, really.

THIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back