Roleplay Pet Peeves

As in nobody making trans and/or gay characters for an Rp.

I feel similarly, though personally I tend to get more peeved by a lack of racial diversity. That's not to say that everyone should be attempting to play a race/gender/sexuality that isn't their first choice, but it does make me a little sad when everyone is a young, white, straight teenager, regardless of the setting. Admittedly, I default to characters near my age, or from cultures and groups that I'm most familiar with, so I do understand why it happens.

I feel similarly, though personally I tend to get more peeved by a lack of racial diversity. That's not to say that everyone should be attempting to play a race/gender/sexuality that isn't their first choice, but it does make me a little sad when everyone is a young, white, straight teenager, regardless of the setting. Admittedly, I default to characters near my age, or from cultures and groups that I'm most familiar with, so I do understand why it happens.

Freaking true, though.

Gimme more POC people! >:O

Better yet, trans poc! *pumps fist*

Last edited by a moderator:
Every character in the Rp being cis or heterosexual is my pet peeve tbh.

Huh, really? I see tons of LGBQA characters (unfortunately not so many intersex or trans characters).

In fact, I see a lot of bisexual characters just so that they can have as many potential pairings as possible (not exactly the best reason to have a bi character, admittedly).

Rping trans characters is lose/lose? Alrighty... 

Not trying to be offensive in any way. But do you see what I mean? 

Unless a person is trans themselves, the person trying to do it will either make their trans character somewhat stereotypical or they'll end up offending someone. I'd rather see someone who is trans themselves play that character or another person who has a better understanding of trans than your average person. 

I'm the same. When I came onto RPN all I saw was that and I pretty much assimilated myself to be like them. Now I refuse and POC are pretty much the only characters I make.

No roleplaying any character with any situation you are not personally familiar with can be difficult. It's like when people try to roleplay people with medical conditions or from different ethnicities. You can do all the research you want but you will always run the risk of offending someone accidentally due to lack or real life experience.

And I would think researching Trans life would be more difficult from an outside perspective than researching idk table etiquette in Japan.

And there are a lot of people that get super offended if you don't do proper research which is why I personally don't go for too alternative a gender identity unless I'm just making up an entirely new creation from scratch.  Cuz I'd rather air on the side of not offending anyone accidentally.

• i remember in an old search thread i said like 3 times i wouldnt rp a certain theme, but i still got people asking to rp that theme.  it wasn't even a long search thread.....
  • i enjoy all orientations but i get so many requests for mxf that i get tired of it constantly.
  • idk if ive mentioned this before? but people who say they're fine with trans ocs but like.... definitely aren't.  just say no.  it's so much worse for people to pretend it's fine and then you get ic and its like 600% obvious they're not chill.
  • people who don't even mention they prefer mxf; they just assume it's the default.

No roleplaying any character with any situation you are not personally familiar with can be difficult. It's like when people try to roleplay people with medical conditions or from different ethnicities. You can do all the research you want but you will always run the risk of offending someone accidentally due to lack or real life experience.

And I would think researching Trans life would be more difficult from an outside perspective than researching idk table etiquette in Japan.

And there are a lot of people that get super offended if you don't do proper research which is why I personally don't go for too alternative a gender identity unless I'm just making up an entirely new creation from scratch.  Cuz I'd rather air on the side of not offending anyone accidentally.

I mean fine, thats on you that you aren't up to Rping trans people. Doesn't mean theres not enough of it. And yes, if you mess up rping a character, and you are told, you can change and learn how to Rp said character differently.

I'd rather people make mistakes, and include trans characters and learn from their mistakes.

I mean fine, thats on you that you aren't up to Rping trans people. Doesn't mean theres not enough of it. And yes, if you mess up rping a character, and you are told, you can change and learn how to Rp said character differently.

I'd rather people make mistakes, and include trans characters and learn from their mistakes.

Yeah but do you really want token characters? People just to play trans/gay/different ethnicity because you need more trans/gay/different ethnicity characters? Or do you want people to play the characters they are most comfortable with whatever/whomever those characters might be?

• i remember in an old search thread i said like 3 times i wouldnt rp a certain theme, but i still got people asking to rp that theme.  it wasn't even a long search thread.....
  • i enjoy all orientations but i get so many requests for mxf that i get tired of it constantly.
  • idk if ive mentioned this before? but people who say they're fine with trans ocs but like.... definitely aren't.  just say no.  it's so much worse for people to pretend it's fine and then you get ic and its like 600% obvious they're not chill.
  • people who don't even mention they prefer mxf; they just assume it's the default.

I once had someone try to get me to do explicit content - despite it being clearly stated in my search I don't do that. And despite my mentioning it multiple times in the PM. And then at the end of it they got pissy and butthurt cuz I quote "wasted their time." Like excuse you I said no. 

Actually people who try to push you past your limits at all super piss me off. If I said no than the answer is no. Not maybe. Not just this one time. NO. NOT HAPPENING. now leave me alone or I'll report your for harassment.

I think the "lose/lose" thing refers to people wanting to portray characters of all manner of gender/sexuality/etc, but worrying at the same time that they'll portray them offensively or as a stereotype because of their own lack of understanding. So the outcome will most likely be one of two scenarios:

1. Not having any trans/gay/bi/asexual/etc. characters. A loss because it is nice to have representations of all manner of peoples.

2. Having these characters, but not being entirely familiar with what it means to be a part of that identity. A loss because it risks offending people.

So this is not to say that it is bad to have the characters. On the contrary, it's great to have diversity. But a lot of people do worry about delving into what they don't yet fully understand. Personally, I think the risk of both sides aren't entirely equal. I'd much rather risk offense than to risk denying the reality of how diverse the world truly is. Others likely feel differently, and that's just as easily justified. It's all a matter of what one holds to be the most important; representation or authenticity. Both matter greatly, so there's not really a right answer for everyone.

I'm the same. When I came onto RPN all I saw was that and I pretty much assimilated myself to be like them. Now I refuse and POC are pretty much the only characters I make.

It can feel somewhat strange to be the odd one out, playing a PoC character in a sea of white teenagers, but I think it's worth it ^_^  I'm sure you've made more than a few people happy to see you adding to the diversity. I know I myself am always very excited to see people with PoC characters. It makes me happy to see one of my pet peeves averted :P

If you're interested in writing a trans character but feel hesitant, you could always ask trans people about themselves. In fact, if you posted a topic on this forum asking for advice from trans people about writing a trans character, I'm sure you'd get some helpful responses. If you have a trans friend or relative, you can ask them, too. From personal experience, I've offered advice on how to write characters with ADHD before. I could offer advice on how to write bisexual characters. It never hurts to ask.

Yeah but do you really want token characters? People just to play trans/gay/different ethnicity because you need more trans/gay/different ethnicity characters? Or do you want people to play the characters they are most comfortable with whatever/whomever those characters might be?

I mean, the fact you consider these characters to only be token characters is kindof..??

I play mostly trans and poc and thats NOT the only reason I Rp them... just like when I do happen to Rp a straight person, they aren't a token.

They are my characters, and I'd love to see people be brave enough to branch out and try new things!

I want to see more of my demographic! I want to see trans, poc, and gay characters EVERYWHERE. I want people to try new things, and see the world from different perspectives.

If they don't want to, whatever, thats fine!

I was just posting my personal peeve... and thats being theres an over abundance of cis and heterosexual characters.

If you're interested in writing a trans character but feel hesitant, you could always ask trans people about themselves. In fact, if you posted a topic on this forum asking for advice from trans people about writing a trans character, I'm sure you'd get some helpful responses. If you have a trans friend or relative, you can ask them, too. From personal experience, I've offered advice on how to write characters with ADHD before. I could offer advice on how to write bisexual characters. It never hurts to ask.

I would LOVE to give advice!!

My fiance also wrote many guides on Rping trans characters! :D

We WANT more trans characters! <3 <3

A+ double + on this.

True. And honestly a vast majority of people are pretty easy going as long as you are at least trying. But sadly it only takes one or two intolerant nit-picky assholes to turn people off trying any new experience.  It's the vocal minority that often overshadows the more tolerant majority

It's why I rarely bother roleplaying different ethnicity anymore. Because on my old site people crawled so far up my butt about minute details it stopped being fun and they just worn me down to the point where I'm like. Fuck this shit I'm never doing another non-white or hispanic character again. 

Im gunna be honest here. Im transgender myself. MtF. And I've rped trans mtfs (I already suck at rping guys, but theres literally no way I could ever rp a ftm transperson), and I gotta say.. it just doesn't add that much. Those characters are often defined as being trans as their only character trait. It just ultimately becomes a chore to beat around the fact that theyre trans, then everyone finds out, then its just like "oh thats a transperson(character), neat".

So, while people say theyd want more trans people in rps, its not the same as the real world, where people are people and have unique world experiences. Rp characters are -characters. So putting some weird gimmick on them is often just that - a gimmick.

As a trans person, would I like trans characters to be a more normal thing? Yeah, sure. But does it often benefit the rp when there are trans characters in it? No, it rarely does. So yeah, it seems like a good idea to claim to want trans characters. But more often than naught its better and just plain simpler to have just characters in the rp, instead of trying to enforce specific gimmicks on them.

I mean, the fact you consider these characters to only be token characters is kindof..??

I play mostly trans and poc and thats NOT the only reason I Rp them... just like when I do happen to Rp a straight person, they arne't a token.

They are my characters, and I'd love to see people be brave enough to branch out and try new things!

I want to see more of my demographic! I want to see trans, poc, and gay characters EVERYWHERE. I want people to try new things, and see the world from different perspectives.

I was just posting my personal peeve... and thats being theres an over abundance of cis and heterosexual characters.

I would LOVE to give advice!!

My fiance also wrote many guides on Rping trans characters! :D

We WANT more trans characters! <3 <3

A+ double + on this.

You misunderstand. The fact that people expect there to be more diversity just so there is more diversity is a pet peeve of mine. It's like your forcing people to play the kind of characters you want to see more of without taking into account their own preferences.

That's what I mean by token characters. Where the character is just created so someone can say - see i can be inclusive i can make a different kind of character now get off my back. 

It's like people who are all shady when someone says they only play their own gender. Like omg don't you have an imagination. Your so stupid only playing your own gender your characters are probably empty self-inserts.

When maybe it's just a personal preference for that person. 

Sorry I wasn't clear in my other post. I wasn't trying to take away from your opinion just posting my counter. 

I personally don't care what other people play. You can play a straight white man, a asian transgendered pansexual, or a asexual sentient toaster I don't care. But it pisses me off when people sit there and tell other people what kind of characters they have to play. 

Not that you were doing that but it is just something that I see come up a lot that is related to the issue of more diversity. 

Im gunna be honest here. Im transgender myself. MtF. And I've rped trans mtfs (I already suck at rping guys, but theres literally no way I could ever rp a ftm transperson), and I gotta say.. it just doesn't add that much. Those characters are often defined as being trans as their only character trait. It just ultimately becomes a chore to beat around the fact that theyre trans, then everyone finds out, then its just like "oh thats a transperson(character), neat".

So, while people say theyd want more trans people in rps, its not the same as the real world, where people are people and have unique world experiences. Rp characters are -characters. So putting some weird gimmick on them is often just that - a gimmick.

As a trans person, would I like trans characters to be a more normal thing? Yeah, sure. But does it often benefit the rp when there are trans characters in it? No, it rarely does. So yeah, it seems like a good idea to claim to want trans characters. But more often than naught its better and just plain simpler to have just characters in the rp, instead of trying to enforce specific gimmicks on them.

I mean.. that would be the wrong way to Rp a trans character, if thats their only trait, in my opinion huehue. 

Or any character, honestly.

I mean.. that would be the wrong way to Rp a trans character, if thats their only trait, in my opinion huehue. 

Well yeah, obviously. But thats what Im saying. You don't rp a trans character, because theyre trans. You rp a character who just so happens to be trans.

Most of the time, I either know my characters are trans (but never really reveal it), or just pretend they are haha.

I play mostly trans and poc and thats NOT the only reason I Rp them... just like when I do happen to Rp a straight person, they arne't a token.

I don't think Rae meant that every trans character or non-cis/non-straight character is a token character. I think she means that playing a character just for the sake of being able to say that you're all inclusive can be a very shallow thing. Some people do a good job at having a character belonging to a minority group that is a well rounded character. That is good inclusion. Others define them solely by a single aspect of their identity. That is tokenism.

A good way of looking at it is to think of the difference between colorblind casting (like in the television show Merlin) and having a black sidekick or an Asian IT guy or a "strong female character" because a show is "inclusive". The latter instances are just including characters to get more people to watch the show, or to get kudos for having diversity. I mean, we all have to start somewhere, but it is sometimes sad to see characters defined only by a single part of their identity. Every part of a characters identity should be integral to their character, not just one part. If it's only the label that matters, that's delved into the realm of token characters.

I'm also trans and I'd literally rather RP trans characters with people are cool with trans characters 100% of the time.  I'd take playing a trans character over playing a cis character 100% of the time.

It's an integral part of the human experience, and, especially where trans writers are involved, I think it really is perfectly acceptable for us to say we want more.  When a trans person says they want more trans characters, I can guarantee you they're probably not saying they want it as some cool sparkly add-on, but that they want representation, and they're entitled to want that.  People RP gay characters all the time, and people are generally not of the attitude that it's a gimmick, so I don't see how it's fair to say that in this situation.

You misunderstand. The fact that people expect there to be more diversity just so there is more diversity is a pet peeve of mine. It's like your forcing people to play the kind of characters you want to see more of without taking into account their own preferences.

That's what I mean by token characters. Where the character is just created so someone can say - see i can be inclusive i can make a different kind of character now get off my back. 

It's like people who are all shady when someone says they only play their own gender. Like omg don't you have an imagination. Your so stupid only playing your own gender your characters are probably empty self-inserts.

When maybe it's just a personal preference for that person. 

Sorry I wasn't clear in my other post. I wasn't trying to take away from your opinion just posting my counter. 

I personally don't care what other people play. You can play a straight white man, a asian transgendered pansexual, or a asexual sentient toaster I don't care. But it pisses me off when people sit there and tell other people what kind of characters they have to play. 

Not that you were doing that but it is just something that I see come up a lot that is related to the issue of more diversity. 

Thats fine, You are allowed to feel that way! Everyone has their own pet peeve. (:

But, I'm not of that opinion -- I'm fine with cis characters. I just get kindof bummed when I make an Rp and literally 1 character, which is probably mine, is trans. As I am trans.

Its alot like being excluded from your own party. I only do 1x1s now, but back when I didn't, they were almost non-existent.

@fattiest fat cat

What you're saying is totally valid, and true. I've always wanted more trans characters/acceptance of trans characters in rp, hence why I used to put them in basically every rp I ever did. So you're right there.

I think ApfelSeine put it the best

"I think she means that playing a character just for the sake of being able to say that you're all inclusive can be a very shallow thing. Some people do a good job at having a character belonging to a minority group that is a well rounded character. That is good inclusion. Others define them solely by a single aspect of their identity. That is tokenism."

That line in particular resonates really well with me and my experience with trans characters. Or people attempting such. But I'm new to this site. This site seems to be far more accepting of that sort of thing then previous sites Ive been on, when it almost seemed like a hindrance to do anything out of the norm in rps. Who knows, maybe I'm just too cynical. xD

I don't believe I've ever met another trans person like me in an rp, haha.

A person's a person. You shouldn't really have to rp them differently due to a particular trait they have, unless it's a character with a mental illness, in which it depends on the illness 

Thats fine, You are allowed to feel that way! Everyone has their own pet peeve. (:

But, I'm not of that opinion -- I'm fine with cis characters. I just get kindof bummed when I make an Rp and literally 1 character, which is probably mine, is trans. As I am trans.

Its alot like being excluded from your own party. I only do 1x1s now, but back when I didn't, they were almost non-existent.

Ah in that case yeah. Groups are a lot like mult-tasking. You got to appeal to as many people as possible and cater to as many egos as you can while still keeping your idea relatively stream-lined and moving forward. In short - TOO MUCH DRAMA. Bye.

It's why I feel like 1x1s are better if your looking for anything specific. Becuase you can just flat out ask your partner - hey you cool adding XX? And like 99.9% of the time they'll be like - sure. 

With Groups its like Well if you want XX, and susie wants YY, and andy wants BBB, and jerry wants GGG, and so on and so forth. It's a lot to juggle.

I usually don't rp my characters differently at all based on gender, unless the rp is set in a setting where genders are treated vastly different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back