Roleplay Pet Peeves

I'm not saying let cis people say they couldn't do it right so they're not going to.  I'm also not saying "well, most people only create token characters, so it's fine, just let them not do it."  I'm saying that people need to grow up and do their research and stop so damn ridiculous about it.  We deserve to be represented, and the fact that people act like trans characters are so weird and foreign is really hurtful.

We are not aliens from outer space or "sentient toasters."  Why will people put hours of research into swords but not into trans identity?  Why is it such a big deal when they receive criticism for doing something incorrectly?  Why is the attitude "Well, I tried one time and it didn't go well, so I'm going to blame someone else and never do it again,"?

I'm not interested in giving people excuses.  I'm not interested in people saying it's too difficult.  I'm not interested in "gender blind" attitudes.  Saying people can't do it right, so we should just be happy with what minimal representation we DO get is not fair.

Most of the time, I can't even play a trans character against someone else's cis character because it makes them uncomfortable or they give me the "I'm worried I'd say something offensive," because they'd rather just say that then do research and ask questions.

This is absurd.  We're considered "too difficult" and so we just get left behind, and it's not fair, and there's no excuse for it.  I'd rather see 100 people doing their best, genuinely doing their research, and genuinely being open to criticism.  The fact that so many people are on the defensive, coming up with reasons there's so little representation instead of just agreeing that it sucks is super, super telling..

I'm really finished with this conversation.  There is no excuse.  Stop making them.

I'm not saying let cis people say they couldn't do it right so they're not going to.  I'm also not saying "well, most people only create token characters, so it's fine, just let them not do it."  I'm saying that people need to grow up and do their research and stop so damn ridiculous about it.  We deserve to be represented, and the fact that people act like trans characters are so weird and foreign is really hurtful.

We are not aliens from outer space or "sentient toasters."  Why will people put hours of research into swords but not into trans identity?  Why is it such a big deal when they receive criticism for doing something incorrectly?  Why is the attitude "Well, I tried one time and it didn't go well, so I'm going to blame someone else and never do it again,"?

I'm not interested in giving people excuses.  I'm not interested in people saying it's too difficult.  I'm not interested in "gender blind" attitudes.  Saying people can't do it right, so we should just be happy with what minimal representation we DO get is not fair.

Most of the time, I can't even play a trans character against someone else's cis character because it makes them uncomfortable or they give me the "I'm worried I'd say something offensive," because they'd rather just say that then do research and ask questions.

This is absurd.  We're considered "too difficult" and so we just get left behind, and it's not fair, and there's no excuse for it.  I'd rather see 100 people doing their best, genuinely doing their research, and genuinely being open to criticism.  The fact that so many people are on the defensive, coming up with reasons there's so little representation instead of just agreeing that it sucks is super, super telling..

I'm really finished with this conversation.  There is no excuse.  Stop making them.

Tbh if they are playing a character completely wrong that just makes them a bad RPer. Each CS should have some level of thought into it, not just because "I thought it would be cool".

I do fantasy RPs all the time, just because I think the idea of time control is cool, doesn't mean I should put it on my character without looking up on it.

If they are RPIng wrong, then they are wrong and disrespectful, no ifs or buts about it.

no words.

Peeve: Now I know, by now, I should know the warning signs of what to avoid but sometimes I just can't help myself. I hope too much, you know? Anyway, I'm a huge fandom rp lover, that shit is my jam and my jelly and my pet peeve is when all internal logic of the fandom is thrown out the window and it's reduced to nothing but their character fawning over the big tough canon character I was talked into writing.

It's heart breaking, really.

Okay you misunderstood the point about the sentient toaster. I am not saying trans people are weird or inhuman or whatever. I am saying quite plainly I could give absolutely zero fucks who or what you play.

As long as the character fits the roleplay, play whomever you want. I don't care. Because I am not here to play the character police. I am here to enjoy telling a story and make some new lifelong friends

Peeve: Now I know, by now, I should know the warning signs of what to avoid but sometimes I just can't help myself. I hope too much, you know? Anyway, I'm a huge fandom rp lover, that shit is my jam and my jelly and my pet peeve is when all internal logic of the fandom is thrown out the window and it's reduced to nothing but their character fawning over the big tough canon character I was talked into writing.

It's heart breaking, really.

lol. or reality is bent so their OC can be bigger and badder and more awesome than all the canon characters combined. uuuuuuggh.

I still get pissed off over this one : My character has all the powers of Superman but none of the weaknesses. And they're angry alot and don't like other people. 

Actually people who nitpick characters in general do kind of piss me off. Like man look I don't know what the hell score my fictional character that I just made up got on their SAT and why the hell do you care anyway? ( hint: usually so their character can show off )

All I know, is I love roleplaying characters. I have a ton of fun making up characters, and a ton of fun making up scenarios and plots. Whether those characters are trans, bi, straight, asexual, a different race, a different ethnicity, or whatever is purely coincidental based on the character I made. Its the journey of the story that's fun. Not trying to push any sort of agenda or something. Roleplaying for me is about having fun, and crafting insanely cool stories with others, sharing in that experience.

A pretty big peeve of mine:

characters with no sense of care for life.

This is typically the RPers fault, but when they find a dead body or something they usually respond with "Oh, there's a dead body! someone should do something".

It bloody pisses me off. If you found a dead body, you would scream and possibly vomit, not just be all like "'kay, da's one ded guy lulz"

Pet peeve: people who have no sense of pacing, concerning relationships between character. If your character barely tolerated mine two in-verse days ago (truly barely tolerated them, and wasn't secretly attracted to them), unless something happened to change their opinion since then or they're somehow intoxicated, they shouldn't be waxing poetic about my character's face. When in real life does that ever happen? Characters who do random 360s make me facepalm. 

A pretty big peeve of mine:

characters with no sense of care for life.

This is typically the RPers fault, but when they find a dead body or something they usually respond with "Oh, there's a dead body! someone should do something".

It bloody pisses me off. If you found a dead body, you would scream and possibly vomit, not just be all like "'kay, da's one ded guy lulz"

Well, I don't know about that. People can get so desensitized to violence or death these days, that they very well could just be like "Meh." and move on. I guess it depends on the person, really.

Well, I don't know about that. People can get so desensitized to violence or death these days, that they very well could just be like "Meh." and move on. I guess it depends on the person, really.

So you're telling me you would just shrug off seeing a dead body!

Unlikely.

I dislike when people constantly correct you , its annoying. Things like. "So and so is incorrect change it please" is fine but shit like "You do realize that so and so is wrong ,change it." is basically begging to be told off and impling i'm stupid in my eyes. And then when you tell them they get pissed off. First of all i'm glad you want to help me get it right but don't approach me in such a way that its rude cause if spelling errors annoy you so bad you're being rude to people you need to get off the internet , get drunk off some koolaid and calm your self cause you are not needed #sorrynotsorry

People why refuse to take hits in combat. UGHHHHHHHHHHH i can't deal. I was guilty of this  , 2-3 years ago. I understand you want your character to win but if i'm allowing my character to get hit while yours is happily smacking mine around there is a problem. Its especially worse if my character is stronger and/or smarter than you.

That second one is really annoying. I can understand characters only getting part of the damage from the blow because armor/narrow evade or bullet graze/enemy inaccurate/other reason, or even occasional dodging, but it's stupid if they manage to avoid a bullet from an experienced marksman at ten feet away.

A peeve of mine is when somebody comes into a roleplay and doesn't seem to understand the genre. If we're doing a Wild West themed roleplay, please do not have a character who became a cyborg through alien experiments and uses high tech laser weaponry that can mow down mobs of people.

Pet peeve: people who have no sense of pacing, concerning relationships between character. If your character barely tolerated mine two in-verse days ago (truly barely tolerated them, and wasn't secretly attracted to them), unless something happened to change their opinion since then or they're somehow intoxicated, they shouldn't be waxing poetic about my character's face. When in real life does that ever happen? Characters who do random 360s make me facepalm. 

*coughs* Disney *coughs*

I've seen my friends die as i'm vet of Operation Iraqi Freedom, anyways the first time nearly broke me. After that well it's just a thing I accept as we're living on borrowed time.  That's my view on things. 

Every character in the Rp being cis or heterosexual is my pet peeve tbh.

Somebody's never been a roleplay with me xP

EDIT: I'd like to add that anybody can write a transgender character if they do their research and as somebody who does frequently, lemme tell you how you do it. You just write them like they're any other character because guess what?

Trans people aren't different from cis people in terms of personality or anything like that. The issue I have with most trans characters is that their entire character focuses on the fact that they are trans. Please don't write a character like that. Sure, the fact that they are trans may inspire a few elements of their character but don't let their character just revolve around their gender. 

As an added pet peeve, why do people writing trans characters constantly have the characters talk about being trans? And I mean, ALL THE TIME. And they're always so sad? You can write a happy trans person, okay? I promise nobody will be offended by it. 

Also, I'm well aware that other roleplayers might be uncomfortable with having trans characters in their roleplays but that is their problem to work through not yours. When I admitted not one but two of my fanfic characters were trans, the amount of people reading my fic dropped dramatically. But you just have to let other people have their opinions and find a better roleplay. 

This has been a public service announcement :3

Last edited by a moderator:

RPs have flown out the window when people force quick-as-all-fuck pacing out of me because they're bored.

I feel you.

Every character in the Rp being cis or heterosexual is my pet peeve tbh.

Maybe it's just me,  but I think these kind of peeves is rather silly to be honest. I mean, maybe some people  simply don't want to play lgbtq+ characters. And shouldn't we respect their choice to play whatever kind of character they want to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just me,  but I think these kind of peeves is rather silly to be honest. I mean, maybe some people  simply don't want to play lgbtq+ characters. And shouldn't we respect their choice to play whatever kind of character they want to?

Well, I mean, if she was saying that just a few people were playing LGBT characters. But her peeve was that everyone in an rp was playing a cis, heterosexual character. With the implication that it's happened multiple times, ergo it being a peeve.

Besides, I thought this was a place to vent, not to tell people their personal peeves are silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back