Other Random question of the day

Random question of the day:

Has a song been overplayed so much that it drove you to destroy a radio/cd/record/record player?
everything is digital nowadays, and I'm not as shortsighted as to destroy the tv or computer over it. as Macintot Macintot said, just change the song over. Also, I listen to a lot of alternative music. So the only time I hear it is when I put it on. You'll pretty much never hear my music choices passing by anywhere in public.

No. You don't really interact with bus drivers here. Or if you mean those that close the doors in front of your face - well, there were a few cases, but as I never interacted with them I have no idea if it was the same driver lol It was likely different people anyway XD

Have you ever had an annoying bus driver as a kid you absolutely despised?
Not as a kid. I walked to and from school. But as an adult that regularly takes the bus, I can tell you that some bus drivers are total turds! Like, they see you coming, and you wave at em' to hold up for you. But they just give you the shrug and point to their wrist (signifying that they don't have the time to wait). Meanwhile, anyone left behind has to wait like an hour (sometimes more) for the next one to pass. It's happened to me once or twice, but I've seen it happen to others as well at the bus terminals.

If you could create your own MMO, what would you call it and what would its theme be?
funny you should mention it...

𝓑𝓖𝓜

"When long the shadows stalk the path,

And the moon runs red from witch's wrath.

In cavern deep, and tower tall,

Where many a hero rise and fall.

But in the end, what hungers sate,

Is borne in blood, the butcher's fate."

1618654333598.png

Welcome to the world of Dungeon Butcher™ VI, the sixth installment of the world-acclaimed, multi-player fantasy adventure series by Redrum Studios. In this violent and expansive sandbox world, you take the role of an adventurer up against terrible foes both bestial and villainous. Go solo or team up with friends against progressively more difficult odds and AI. A dynamic character creation system boasts a variety of races to choose from and customize. This includes folklore variants of Dwarves, Elves, and Faun, as well as other races unique to the series. Dungeon Butcher VI features the return of the Ogre species into the playable character options. And for the first time in the series, the infamous Dwellar are now a playable race.

Trek across the strange new land of Maelgor and discover hidden dangers along with fantastic treasures. Invest in skills to craft your own items. Use them yourself, or trade with regional merchants. Visit the online player market to buy and sell to other players' caravans. Build or buy a hideaway as a base of operations, and work towards upgrading it into a stronghold. Foster relationships with the in-game characters and build your reputation (for good or ill) across the land. Earn bonuses by continuously achieving victory with other players, and strengthen the power of your guild. There is no central story to follow in Dungeon Butcher VI, and every player experiences a unique storyline depending on the quests they undertake and the choices they make within them. The dichotomy of good and evil is blurred, and right and wrong answers are not readily obvious. Make your choices carefully, as your destiny can change with every step.

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲

Marhawk, and Butcher Keep
1618654040806.png
Dungeon Butcher VI is set on the continent of Maelgor. It is a new setting in the series, and veteran players of the Dungeon Butcher games should have no foreknowledge of the region. However, they can be fully aware of the game mechanics and guild houses and such that would carry through from previous games.

The central hub of this game is a large, medieval-styled city known as Marhawk. It is the initial staging area for new adventurers to explore the rest of the world. This city is laid upon a jagged, upward-sloping crag that juts out over the ocean. They skies are often grey and threatening of rain. A generally cold climate is the norm, and winters here are particularly harsh. A busy harbor exists out of Marhawk. Boats come in and out of the bay, workers loading and unloading supplies and cargo over the cold, dark water. The markets here are busy with travelers and merchants interacting in their trade. The influx of goods was wide and varied, hailing from lands far across the ocean as well as deep within the continent. Crowning the peak is the fortified castle of Butcher Keep. This fortified area is generally off-limits to players until they complete certain key quests within the game.

Marhawk is the game's default starting ground. From here, quests and sub-quests can be undertaken. Adventurers can rest at the inn between such outings, recruiting hirelings and checking the boards. Various shops exist within the city walls as well, selling everything from mundane adventuring gear, to food, to epic level weaponry and armor. Pickpockets and thieves weave through the crowds in the market square while the patrol guard keep a wary eye out for them. Apothecaries and enchanters also sell their services here. They are pivotal to any adventurer serious about their expeditions. A slew of other shops and services can be found, and even the more lowbrow of districts exist in Marhawk. If one looks hard enough, they can even find the contacts for black market dealings.

One of the most popular places in Marhawk is the Dragon’s Crown. It is the foremost visited Inn and Tavern, hosting a sizable accommodation to guests as well as a nearby stables for their mounts and caravan animals. It is busy in all seasons of the year, and an assured destination if one wishes to learn of recent news. There is always a wide and colorful attendance of patrons at the Dragon's Crown with which one can fraternize.

I was working on this to make a potential group roleplay (but I don't have the time to GM such a setting). The theme was going to be Media Transmigration. There was more to it, but the rest is RP specific. This is just the video game aspect of it. ;-)

Did Panasonic truly overestimate the 3DO gaming console they made?
probably, because I don't even remember it being a thing. lol
Literally never heard anyone talk about it ever until this very instance. I had to google it to figure out exactly what you were talking about.

I had a Panasonic DVD player, cameras, and probably a TV at one point, but I never really cared much for the company itself to know about their history with 3DO gaming. xD

I did look up the 3DO game console that Panasonic made, and it tanked so hard that the 3DO Company restructured to be a "multi-platform company focused on software development and online gaming". xD lol The initial high price of the console and lack of significant funding that Sony took advantage of due to The 3DO Company needing hardware to create their masterpiece, so they went to Sony and Panasonic, which Sony declined because they were already making the PlayStation (and Sega and Nintendo wasn't really helping matters much as they made their consoles during this economic time that led to a high saturation of consoles on the marketplace), and the guy who I think was the brain behind the console (Trip Hawkins, who is a entrepreneur and Electronic Arts founder) said that they "licensed all hardware manufacturing and software to third parties". They are basically saying that the console wasn't being owned by one company, but by multiple. Because the 3DO console had two companies and many software developers that took ownership and there was a lack of communication between Panasonic, The 3DO Company, and the software developers of said company that led to the console only having ONE game ready at the console's launch. XD

By the way, for those who don't know what a 3DO game console is, it's a 3DO Interactive Multiplayer console that used a disc to play games. While it isn't revolutionary in this day and age, the first iteration of the console was released back in 1993, when cartridges and floppy discs were all the rage. Having a CD player allow you to play games was pretty revolutionary back then, but it quickly went south because of their horrible marketing plan and bad communications between overall developers of the console itself. It also didn't help that after releasing their first console, they were hyping it up to be the next best thing since sliced bread. They had said that the console was a HDTV-capable (which was also a huge deal back then), and it could also be used as a cable box so you may also watch the News when your kids weren't playing games. In 1994, the Computer Gaming World, a computer game magazine, stated that the 3DO system "is poised for an avalanche of software support to appear in the next 12 months", which was a huge step up from the Atari Jaguar and Pioneer LaserActive (both consoles). It was a great time for 3DO's idea, as it was a great plug-and-play solution to having to play "circuit board roulette with our personal computers" as stated by said magazine. It got a great deal of attention after it was released, but games like Return Fire, Road Rash, Jurassic Park Interactive, and FIFA International Soccer that were supposed to be released at launch with the console had to be pushed to mid-1994 because the company was having issues with their "cutting-edge hardware"... XD lol

As soon as Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation came to 1995 (1994 in Japan), the 3DO console lost in a landslide. Along with that, The 3DO Company responded with repeating that their software library is gigantic, and that they'll lower the price and the M2 successor of 3DO will come around. Initially, M2 was supposed to be an add-on, but it was then made into a stand-alone console that had backwards compatibility with 3DO games. However, it was canceled, probably due to a lack of communication. xD

That's basically the history of the entire thing. So, in short, yes, The 3DO Company overestimated their console, but Panasonic was only in for the ride because they were asked by the EA founder to help with making a console. I don't think Panasonic even cared and just wanted to help a smaller company out but the 3DO Company didn't exactly keep up their product as their mouths just got ahead of them. Panasonic and GoldStar kept trying to make the console work, even after The 3DO Company stopped supporting it, but their efforts were futile as their production strategies in the case of GoldStar and the rising console wars between Nintendo, Sega, and Sony were very prevalent, 3DO was just swept under the rug, leaving dust to collect after 1996. Panasonic has stuck to other entertainment systems and energy processes instead of video games. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back