Other Random question of the day

Do you feel that Reddit is nothing but a refuge for anti-social teenage edgelords who think life is a scam?
It's funny because here we can see the fine line between "someone who uses reddit" and a "redditor" because reddit as a community is such a terrible place but some of the niche subreddits dedicated to hobbies or activities are amazing. Really a lot of the forums that are small to medium sized have been some of the most supportive and healthy communities I've seen on the internet.

I've only ever lived in Oklahoma, so it's hard for me to make an informed decision. I've been wanting to move towards the East coast, though. Nothing against Oklahoma, I just want to see what life is like in Not the Southern U.S.

Random question of the day:

Do you feel like some fanbases are just flat out bullies?

Considering how toxic much of the Star Wars fandom is I'll say them. They literally harassed one of the actresses because they didn't like her character.

wtf... I'm not getting notifications, even though I am watching the page. I know cause I just checked. o_O

It is because of some notification quirk that's been unresolved for ages, to my repeated dismay. The only reliable way to ensure you are notified of a page's activity is to remain active in it. If you are not, after a few days, the notifications will not appear. Regardless of how many times it has happened before.

It is because of some notification quirk that's been unresolved for ages, to my repeated dismay. The only reliable way to ensure you are notified of a page's activity is to remain active in it. If you are not, after a few days, the notifications will not appear. Regardless of how many times it has happened before.
I'm pretty active on this topic, actually. I just sometimes forget to check in, and the notification reminds me. But its been a couple times where I only knew it had been updated because I saw Alexneushoorn's avi as the most recent post.

I'm pretty active on this topic, actually. I just sometimes forget to check in, and the notification reminds me. But its been a couple times where I only knew it had been updated because I saw Alexneushoorn's avi as the most recent post.

The amount of time passed without activity required for the quirk's effect is not long, and individual posts followed by days of non-interaction do not reset this quirk.

What's the funniest pickup line you've ever heard?
Anyhow... I dunno about necessarilly the funniest. But one of the pickup lines I've heard that I remember because I thought it was funny, went something along the lines of:

"Do you like to Draw? Because I put the D in RAW."

I heard it at a party. But not actually used as a pickup line. I dunno if anyone uses ANY of these corny lines anymore (or if they ever did), tbh. I only ever hear them come up as jokes.

Has a cartoon or video game ever made you hesitate and morally reconsider its concept?
I mean... when I play those freeform, sandbox RPGs, I regularly go on a civilian killing spree. Unarmed men and women... even the kids if the games have them. Though, they never actually let you kill the kids. I've always wondered if that's some kind of rating thing.

Has a cartoon or video game ever made you hesitate and morally reconsider its concept?

If you’re talking morality, I would say “The Boys” as a comic/show portrays a more grim depiction of superheroes. Or “Invincible” if we’re talking animation. Their powers being monetized and acting as their own corruptors. If you think about it, it makes sense though. Not all people are gonna wanna act like MCU or DC heroes.

Many western RPGs I have played or watched have concepts I'm not too particularly fond of due to how stronk the morally grey areas are. While I do love exploring the morally grey areas, I was often too young or too naive to fully grasp and understand the weight of these concepts. Games like Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, Fallout series, and many others like it come to mind. Hell, even Metro Last Light. XD I don't see that many shows or movies that fall under this though, and the ones I do remember are from nostalgia goggles so I can't accurately say anything about them. xD

Many western RPGs I have played or watched have concepts I'm not too particularly fond of due to how stronk the morally grey areas are. While I do love exploring the morally grey areas, I was often too young or too naive to fully grasp and understand the weight of these concepts. Games like Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, Fallout series, and many others like it come to mind. Hell, even Metro Last Light. XD I don't see that many shows or movies that fall under this though, and the ones I do remember are from nostalgia goggles so I can't accurately say anything about them. xD
Jade Empire for the Xbox. it's one of those games where you basically make choices throughout the story to go good or bad, and it effects your Chi powers. By the end of the game, I had sided with a demon, and betrayed and killed my friends.

Is jealousy justifiable depending on the context?

That depends on exactly the standard for what jealousy is. Jealousy is the feeling of resentment over another's perceived happiness- but, in a situation where that happiness actually did unfairly come at your expense, do jealousy and the desire for a just outcome match, or are they separate (albeit concurrent) feelings/notions? If they aren't, then jealousy is always just the negative resentment, it's never justified. But if it can match the desire for a just outcome, then in a way it could be justified.

My personally take on it is that they are separate. More specifically, I would argue that jealousy is a sort of distortion or even corruption of the idea of justice. Jealousy is not wanting to have or wanting to see a just outcome- it's simply the desire for others to not have what you don’t have. It’s a feeling that will resent another even if they justly earned what they have, even if them having or not having does not affect you at all, or if what they have is not even something you would want in the first place, but their simple joy in having it still creates jealousy, like a little child trying to take away a toy they didn’t want because they saw another having fun with it. Jealousy will not be happy that another who was beneath your status or wealth is rising to match you, instead it will envy the fact they are rising at all.

Envy cares far less about you having more, and far more about others having less. It is a destructive, very negative feeling.

BUT

As Murdergurl Murdergurl pointed out, it is also a natural feeling, and like any feeling it’s not like we can control whether we have it or not. What we make of it, and how we act in the face of it though, that we can control. Sometimes, the right thing to do is ignore the feeling. Other times, it’s using it to motivate you to be more ambitious, use the little constructive fraction of the feeling to improve yourself and your situation. But it’s of course also quite possible to simply succumb to the feeling and act spiteful or attempt to undermine the good others produced- possibly even at your own expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back